PDA

View Full Version : Sorta Spurs Related Breaking News...

MoSpur02
02-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Spurs Sports & Entertainment are looking to sell or selling the Rampage. Not sure if the team is moving or just getting new owners.

exstatic
02-03-2020, 12:17 PM
Spurs Sports & Entertainment are looking to sell or selling the Rampage. Not sure if the team is moving or just getting new owners.

Not surprising after they dumped the SilverStars. I think both teams were kind of loss leaders, tax write offs.

Chucho
02-03-2020, 12:46 PM
I never understood having a hockey team in South Texas.

Someone can correct me, but didn't the San Antonio Iguanas exist twice? IIRC, it was Iguanas, Dragons and then Iguanas again, no?

Kobe'sAchilles
02-03-2020, 01:36 PM
Shame. I thought Hockey in southwest TX would be a surefire hit

Genovaswitness
02-03-2020, 01:39 PM
when are they gonna have a merch clearance sale?

Mugen
02-03-2020, 01:45 PM
Hello Las Vegas SPURS

Man, I'd kill for that. To have my Raiders AND Spurs within a 5hr drive from Los Angeles would be awesome :lol

TimDunkem
02-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Spurs would've had to relocate too if it weren't for Dave then Timmy. SA is where pro sports go to die.

spurraider21
02-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Man, I'd kill for that. To have my Raiders AND Spurs within a 5hr drive from Los Angeles would be awesome :lol
remember when there were talks of the raiders moving to SA and then that xmas poster lost his goddam mind and kept tweeting to mark davis?

Mugen
02-03-2020, 02:30 PM
remember when there were talks of the raiders moving to SA and then that xmas poster lost his goddam mind and kept tweeting to mark davis?

:lol

phxspurfan
02-03-2020, 05:44 PM
SS&E shoring up the ol' balance sheet, ridding themselves of the unprofitable ventures/cost centers.

in before the public sale/relo

Seattle Spurs, tbh

playblair
02-03-2020, 07:06 PM
cant wait until spurs get relocated to austin & we can sign any marquee free agent we want........

Darius Bieber
02-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Sold to Vegas and are looking to relocate to Nevada for next season.

Robz4000
02-06-2020, 05:00 PM
Was about to bump this. SS&E not doing well monetary-wise.

Darius Bieber
02-06-2020, 05:02 PM
First the Silver Stars, now Rampage... San Antonio is not a good market at all.

Robz4000
02-06-2020, 05:08 PM
First the Silver Stars, now Rampage... San Antonio is not a good market at all.

No one cares about the WNBA tbh. The Rampage are more of a surprise since a lot of people go to the games.

MoSpur02
02-06-2020, 05:11 PM
When I was given this info a couple of days ago I was told it was a financial thing. Comes down to not making money.

sasaint
02-06-2020, 05:12 PM
Spurs would've had to relocate too if it weren't for Dave then Timmy. SA is where pro sports go to die.

The only reason I currently watch the Spurs is because they are local. If they split for another city, the NBA would command as much of my attention as the Chinese league. I would have quite a bit of extra time on my hands to do something reasonably satisfying or productive for a change.

Darius Bieber
02-06-2020, 05:12 PM
No one cares about the WNBA tbh. The Rampage are more of a surprise since a lot of people go to the games.

And they've been in town for almost 20 years.

Robz4000
02-06-2020, 05:13 PM
When I was given this info a couple of days ago I was told it was a financial thing. Comes down to not making money.

How is SS&E doing overall? Can't be great having to sell two franchises in a few years. Glad they don't own the Missions tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
02-06-2020, 05:34 PM
Hello Las Vegas SPURS

It's not out of the question. Peter Holt bought the team for $76M in 96. In 2009 the team was valued at around $400M. Now it's valued at $1.6B. Given Holt's situation, this may be the exit strategy. If the team was sold, the only way it would likely stay in SA is if the ownership mandated it in the sale. Seattle has been crying for another team, but Vegas would be a gold mine.

If we're going full conspiracy theory, and the Spurs were making a case that this small market just isn't viable? All the empty seats would help that story. Riding the talent into the dirt would too. I'm not sure they need to go to all that trouble, but it would probably help with the PR blowback if they did move.

Darius Bieber
02-06-2020, 05:36 PM
It's not out of the question. Peter Holt bought the team for $76M in 96. In 2009 the team was valued at around $400M. Now it's valued at $1.6B. Given Holt's situation, this may be the exit strategy. If the team was sold, the only way it would likely stay in SA is if the ownership mandated it in the sale. Seattle has been crying for another team, but Vegas would be a gold mine.

If we're going full conspiracy theory, and the Spurs were making a case that this small market just isn't viable? All the empty seats would help that story. Riding the talent into the dirt would too. I'm not sure they need to go to all that trouble, but it would probably help with the PR blowback if they did move.

I mean, what about the mediocrity of other small market teams like Sacramento, Orlando, New Orleans that let them keep their teams even with bad talent over the last decade or so.

Prime BEEF
02-06-2020, 05:37 PM

They aren’t that smart. But a good strategy if they were

koriwhat
02-06-2020, 05:39 PM
The only reason I currently watch the Spurs is because they are local. If they split for another city, the NBA would command as much of my attention as the Chinese league. I would have quite a bit of extra time on my hands to do something reasonably satisfying or productive for a change.

ditto. fuck all teams not named the san antonio spurs!

K...
02-06-2020, 05:44 PM

He didn't buy the team. He bought a share. I don't think he's a majority owner, but he was the managing rep. He's nothing now, it's Holt babies running the team.

goliath
02-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Spurs extended their lease to 2032 when the ATT Center was upgraded a couple years ago. But yeah Im sure they are on their way to Vegas or Austin.

MoSpur02
02-06-2020, 05:47 PM
How is SS&E doing overall? Can't be great having to sell two franchises in a few years. Glad they don't own the Missions tbh.

I haven't heard anything negative regarding the financial state of the Spurs to be honest.

Robz4000
02-06-2020, 05:47 PM
I mean, what about the mediocrity of other small market teams like Sacramento, Orlando, New Orleans that let them keep their teams even with bad talent over the last decade or so.

NO had/has superstars to get the big time money from the media and endorsements while Sacramento has arguably the best fanbase in the NBA. Orlando had a combination of both as well as being a top vacation destination for families.

Darius Bieber
02-06-2020, 05:48 PM
Spurs extended their lease to 2032 when the ATT Center was upgraded a couple years ago. But yeah Im sure they are on their way to Vegas or Austin.

They had a Freeman Coliseum agreement for the Stars to renovate that stadium, they still moved.

Robz4000
02-06-2020, 05:49 PM

Depending on who bought the team I could see a buyout happening. Hell, NBA might step in if it could get the team to Seattle.

sasaint
02-06-2020, 05:50 PM
But dude, they load super buses to pilgrimage to Jerry World 8 times a YEAR. It's not an economic thing, its a culture thing. They'd rather give money to Jerry's product because maybe he is a "fun guy" than the spurs guy POP who is a MAJOR ASSHOLE!!!!

Who'd you rather have a beer with Pop or Jerry...

We all know Pop aint drinking a beer

Neither is Jerry.

ZeusWillJudge
02-06-2020, 05:53 PM

NO isn't exactly a good example. It's only 10 years since the league had to step in and buy that team.

Sacramento is only valued at something barely over $1B and Orlando $1.3B. The Spurs are worth $300M - $400M more due to an uncanny period of success due mostly to two players. Peter Holt had a fun time getting to own a team. Forget about Pop and/or RC for a minute and consider Peter Holt and the Holt family.
This would be a really good time to cash out.

What I said wasn't about the viability of small market teams. That's a whole different discussion. It was about creating a perception to smooth the PR blowback that would come with moving a storied franchise like the Spurs.

I'm not saying it's happening. Just giving some reasons why it could happen.

sasaint
02-06-2020, 05:55 PM
https://thesportsfanjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/NS_Jimmy_Jerry+1989_2864108_793331.jpg

:lol Probably the last beer he had, and the last time he dealt with Jimmy. Not sure whether he drinks scotch or bourbon, but I bet it ain't beer.

K...
02-06-2020, 05:56 PM
The Spurs can be as good as Utah or Portland. Stop playing the small market card. It's not the case that we can expect to attract stars, but that's not a sign they can't be profitable and well run. And stop mentioning Austin. They absolutely made MLS pick the fourth requested spot and there is no cheap land in Travis. They won't bend over for the NBA either. Austin also isn't black/cool either.

ZeusWillJudge
02-06-2020, 05:56 PM
He didn't buy the team. He bought a share. I don't think he's a majority owner, but he was the managing rep. He's nothing now, it's Holt babies running the team.

You know what? Forget the buying price. It doesn't matter. In 2009 the team was valued at $400M, and today it's valued over $1.6B. The other is a complete red herring.

Seventyniner
02-06-2020, 07:01 PM
NO isn't exactly a good example. It's only 10 years since the league had to step in and buy that team.

Sacramento is only valued at something barely over $1B and Orlando $1.3B. The Spurs are worth $300M - $400M more due to an uncanny period of success due mostly to two players. Peter Holt had a fun time getting to own a team. Forget about Pop and/or RC for a minute and consider Peter Holt and the Holt family.
This would be a really good time to cash out.

What I said wasn't about the viability of small market teams. That's a whole different discussion. It was about creating a perception to smooth the PR blowback that would come with moving a storied franchise like the Spurs.

I'm not saying it's happening. Just giving some reasons why it could happen.

I would say 3.2 players, with Number Two being the .2.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2020, 07:45 PM

I like the logic in that theory. I'd like to believe Pop's ridiculous coaching decisions, rotations and roster depletion are due to some ingenious plan, rather than just a stubborn old man losing touch late in his career.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2020, 12:52 PM
:lol conspiracy theories

Chucho
02-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Spurs MIGHT miss the POs for the first time in basically a quarter century because our youth sucks and our vets suck and our only good players are old, but have been the only players to step up.

"THE SPURS ARE MOVING!"

"LET'S TANK FOR A 9-16 PICK IN A SHITTY DRAFT"

"THEY WON'T GIVE OUR INCONSISTENT YOUTH CONSISTENT MINUTES! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!"

"THAT'S IT BOYS, I'M DONE. I AM FUCKING DONE!"...goes and post 3 minutes later and post rate increases, somehow.

"Gutless worms" is the "fanbase" here. We're not going to win the title. 31 teams wont either. But setting a record that will be unbreakable is something sweet.

But hey, let's "blow it up" because the armchair GMs think a mid-pick in a shit draft is going to stem some long rebuild. Adding more fodder to the roster will solve so many issues.