PDA

View Full Version : Grades: PATFO @ The Rest of the League- Feb 6th

Kobe'sAchilles
02-06-2020, 04:29 PM
The Memphis Grizzlies have rallied around their rookie #2 pick (and most likely ROY winner)Ja Morant, to surge to the 8th seed in a supposed 3 team race for the last playoff spot. Portland's star guard Dame Dollar Lillard has also been surging and the Blazers have played better as of late going 8-7 in the month of January. The victim in all of this is the San Antonio Spurs, who are a full 3 games behind the Memphis Grizzlies for the 8th seed and sit 10th overall in the west. PATFO sat at an impasse this trade deadline. They were truly flummoxed (a reasonable person would suggest by their own doing) at what they should do and ended up doing nothing.

RC Drunkford(not the poster): RC's last big signing before officially moving over to a different position was to sign the former Net/Hawks/Raptor player Demarre Carroll. In a move that surprised everybody, RC traded Bertans in an attempt to sign current Clipper player Morris. In the process he guaranteed an extra year in Carroll's deal. The deal with Morris fell through and we were stuck without our beloved missing finger sharpshooter.

Lost in the shuffle was the re-signing of Rudy Gay to a 2 year deal after the swingman had shown to be completely washed of any athleticism. Rudy Gay couldn't drive past Mason Plumlee in the playoffs last year and yet RC thought it was a good idea to sign him to 2 year $32 million deal

Grade: F+. RC signed an aging former all star way too much money. Signed our 15th man to a tune of 3 years $21 million and got rid of Bertans for literally nothing. The only reason he gets the + is that he atleast got Morris to sign with us (in principal) and moved his incompetent ass out of the role of GM.

Gregg Popovich: ​Pop's coaching mistakes have been discussed in ad nauseum here on Spurstalk. From starting Forbes, benching White, playing Marco over Lonnie, and not playing Carroll at all. I'm not here to talk about his coaching but rather his effect on the Spurs this trade deadline. Pop went into the year thinking that he had enough to compete for a playoff spot. 3 months into the season and his mindset hasn't changed. I think Pop truly believes that this team can grab that elusive 8th spot and get swept by the Lakers. This has caused current GM (puppet) Brian Wrong to have one hand tied behind his back this trade deadline. Pop still hasn't given B-Wrong the approval to move on off of our "star" players. He only gave the okay to trade both Marco and 15th man Carroll. He wouldn't even give the ok to trade his beloved pet Formes. He seemingly gave the ok to trade Gay, but only for a monster package. Pop's stubborn attitude about the roster has placed the Spurs in no man's land. Too sucky to make the playoffs yet to good to get a top pick.

Grade: F-- Pop has placed this team in a now win situation. Only his coaching can get us out of this hole and into a first round sweep by the Lakers. God have mercy on our souls.

Brian Wrong: The first trade deadline for new GM Brian Wrong is dead and gone, much like our hopes for the roster. Wrong had many issues to deal with that ended up being way too much for a puppet to handle. Among these issues, trading Carroll after signing him to a 3 year deal. Trading Marco to any team. Getting the order to trade an aged/damaged goods former star in Rudy Gay, but only for young players and a first round pick :lol He was also given the ok to ask (not trade, but ask) about the return on his two big fishes in LMA and DDR. Pop and RC would only accept a boatload for their two guppies. Unfortunately, it's impossible to fish with one arm and 2 old guys yelling at your every move in the back of the boat. This led to the Spurs to catch nothing, but a desperate hope that Demar would for some reason accept a new contract on the contingency of a sign and trade.

He also signed Murray to a 4 year $64 million deal that isn't looking too good right now. Murray is still young. He is coming off a major injury and has no chemistry with anybody on the team yet. He has shown growth in his shooting as of late, but still passes open shots and doesn't have any shooting volume ot speak of. Dejounte has looked horrible on defense, but that is mainly due to Formes.

Grade: D-/INC: It's hard to blame the guy when you have bosses all up your ass, but he took the job so he gets the blame. He hasn't maxed out DeRozan yet so that's something. Murray's deal looks bad now, but the season isn't over yet and I was on the wait until February bandwagon before passing judgement on DJ. Let's see what Wrong does this offseason. His grade can go up if he signs White to a good deal, pulls off a s&t for DDR, and drafts a SF. Or it can go down if he re-signs Formes for any amount, keeps DeRozan, drafts another fucking guard.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

slick'81
02-06-2020, 04:33 PM
Brian wrong:rollin

EasyMoney
02-06-2020, 04:35 PM
I wonder how this team would be if pop unleashed the young guys and played dejounte, derrick, and lonnie 30 minutes a night. While decreasing bryn and Lyle's minutes.

sasaint
02-06-2020, 04:55 PM
The Memphis Grizzlies have rallied around their rookie #2 pick (and most likely ROY winner)Ja Morant, to surge to the 8th seed in a supposed 3 team race for the last playoff spot. Portland's star guard Dame Dollar Lillard has also been surging and the Blazers have played better as of late going 8-7 in the month of January. The victim in all of this is the San Antonio Spurs, who are a full 3 games behind the Memphis Grizzlies for the 8th seed and sit 10th overall in the west. PATFO sat at an impasse this trade deadline. They were truly flummoxed (a reasonable person would suggest by their own doing) at what they should do and ended up doing nothing.

RC Drunkford(not the poster): RC's last big signing before officially moving over to a different position was to sign the former Net/Hawks/Raptor player Demarre Carroll. In a move that surprised everybody, RC traded Bertans in an attempt to sign current Clipper player Morris. In the process he guaranteed an extra year in Carroll's deal. The deal with Morris fell through and we were stuck without our beloved missing finger sharpshooter.

Lost in the shuffle was the re-signing of Rudy Gay to a 2 year deal after the swingman had shown to be completely washed of any athleticism. Rudy Gay couldn't drive past Mason Plumlee in the playoffs last year and yet RC thought it was a good idea to sign him to 2 year $32 million deal

Grade: F+. RC signed an aging former all star way too much money. Signed our 15th man to a tune of 3 years $21 million and got rid of Bertans for literally nothing. The only reason he gets the + is that he atleast got Morris to sign with us (in principal) and moved his incompetent ass out of the role of GM.

Gregg Popovich: ​Pop's coaching mistakes have been discussed in ad nauseum here on Spurstalk. From starting Forbes, benching White, playing Marco over Lonnie, and not playing Carroll at all. I'm not here to talk about his coaching but rather his effect on the Spurs this trade deadline. Pop went into the year thinking that he had enough to compete for a playoff spot. 3 months into the season and his mindset hasn't changed. I think Pop truly believes that this team can grab that elusive 8th spot and get swept by the Lakers. This has caused current GM (puppet) Brian Wrong to have one hand tied behind his back this trade deadline. Pop still hasn't given B-Wrong the approval to move on off of our "star" players. He only gave the okay to trade both Marco and 15th man Carroll. He wouldn't even give the ok to trade his beloved pet Formes. He seemingly gave the ok to trade Gay, but only for a monster package. Pop's stubborn attitude about the roster has placed the Spurs in no man's land. Too sucky to make the playoffs yet to good to get a top pick.

Grade: F-- Pop has placed this team in a now win situation. Only his coaching can get us out of this hole and into a first round sweep by the Lakers. God have mercy on our souls.

Brian Wrong: The first trade deadline for new GM Brian Wrong is dead and gone, much like our hopes for the roster. Wrong had many issues to deal with that ended up being way too much for a puppet to handle. Among these issues, trading Carroll after signing him to a 3 year deal. Trading Marco to any team. Getting the order to trade an aged/damaged goods former star in Rudy Gay, but only for young players and a first round pick :lol He was also given the ok to ask (not trade, but ask) about the return on his two big fishes in LMA and DDR. Pop and RC would only accept a boatload for their two guppies. Unfortunately, it's impossible to fish with one arm and 2 old guys yelling at your every move in the back of the boat. This led to the Spurs to catch nothing, but a desperate hope that Demar would for some reason accept a new contract on the contingency of a sign and trade.

He also signed Murray to a 4 year $64 million deal that isn't looking too good right now. Murray is still young. He is coming off a major injury and has no chemistry with anybody on the team yet. He has shown growth in his shooting as of late, but still passes open shots and doesn't have any shooting volume ot speak of. Dejounte has looked horrible on defense, but that is mainly due to Formes.

Grade: D-/INC: It's hard to blame the guy when you have bosses all up your ass, but he took the job so he gets the blame. He hasn't maxed out DeRozan yet so that's something. Murray's deal looks bad now, but the season isn't over yet and I was on the wait until February bandwagon before passing judgement on DJ. Let's see what Wrong does this offseason. His grade can go up if he signs White to a good deal, pulls off a s&t for DDR, and drafts a SF. Or it can go down if he re-signs Formes for any amount, keeps DeRozan, drafts another fucking guard.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

I am not ready to call Dijon's deal bad just yet. If the Old Asshole (or Becky, hopefully) hands the reins to Derrick and makes Dijon the starting SG, I think that could begin the fix.

itzsoweezee
02-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Amazing stuff. But Murray's deal is not bad. At worst, he's a backup and getting paid backup money. It typically takes 2 years to recover fully from an ACL tear. The deal could still wrong up looking really good.

And, as you alluded to, Murray's been stuck having to play alongside Butt Forbes all year. Imagine Walker, Murray, and White on the court together. That would be a formidable defensive lineup.

rudwick
02-06-2020, 05:16 PM
They’ve proved once again that drafting is their only competency.

pad300
02-06-2020, 05:34 PM
Amazing stuff. But Murray's deal is not bad. At worst, he's a backup and getting paid backup money. It typically takes 2 years to recover fully from an ACL tear. The deal could still wrong up looking really good.

And, as you alluded to, Murray's been stuck having to play alongside Butt Forbes all year. Imagine Walker, Murray, and White on the court together. That would be a formidable defensive lineup.

While I agree, I'm not wiling to write off Murray's deal yet, the bolded is bullshit. $16 million per year is not backup money. Not even in the new NBA.

itzsoweezee
02-06-2020, 05:43 PM
While I agree, I'm not wiling to write off Murray's deal yet, the bolded is bullshit. $16 million per year is not backup money. Not even in the new NBA.

It definitely is: https://hoopshype.com/salaries/

SpurSpike
02-06-2020, 05:52 PM
"RC signed an aging former all star way too much money"

I think your talking about Rudy Gay here but he has never made an all star team.

TD 21
02-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Once it became clear that the mid-bottom of the West was so bad that it would be virtually impossible for this team fall out of the turtle derby, I was resigned to the only possible move being salary dumping Carroll, so I can't even say I'm disappointed or annoyed.

The only potential opportunity cost lost, will be if Aldridge or DeRozan suffer a significant injury. Other than that, if they want to embarrass themselves with this mismatch bunch for the final 2+ months, whatever. As long as they put it out of its misery in the off season.

The notion that they inevitably had to be in this position, is asinine though. They've made countless mistakes that have been discussed ad nauseam. Anything above putrid asset management and they'd be in a relatively decent position.

MultiTroll
02-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Who is the genius of record (even if a puppeteer of Popped) who fully guaranteed LMAs next seasons salary? Taking it from 7 mill to 25 or whatever the f it is now.

r0drig0lac
02-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Anything above putrid asset management and they'd be in a relatively decent position.

KobesAchilles
02-06-2020, 06:15 PM
Who is the genius of record (even if a puppeteer of Popped) who fully guaranteed LMAs next seasons salary? Taking it from 7 mill to 25 or whatever the f it is now.

Good call. I forgot about that nugget :lol