PDA

View Full Version : Article: Examining a Possible Derrick White Extension

cd021
02-08-2020, 08:34 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/derrick-white-contract-extension-san-antonio-spurs/

The Gist: North of $10 million per, less than Murray's deal.

slick'81
02-08-2020, 09:24 PM
Obviously spurs hope he takes around 12

Dejounte
02-08-2020, 09:38 PM
This could be the reason we didnt trade for any players.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2020, 09:59 PM
his leaving man

IG wanker got16m per year, wtf is white going to lower himself to that sort of humiliation accepting a low ball offer from patfo, certainly there are teams out there will pay him

venitian navigator
02-08-2020, 11:19 PM
He's gonna be a restricted free agent...after the djm extension (that at the moment seems a wrong move at that price, but let's not forget its just his first year after the surgery) and considering that the nba cap is lowering down, I would agree to a friendly deal like proposed in the article...otherwise I'll wait till the offers and match in case unless they are (I dont see how they could be) out of reality. White is a good player and his character is well suited for the team.

cd021
02-09-2020, 03:03 AM
his leaving man

IG wanker got16m per year, wtf is white going to lower himself to that sort of humiliation accepting a low ball offer from patfo, certainly there are teams out there will pay him

There's no guarantee that he'd be able to get more in RFA. He really hasn't shown much improvement over last season and will be 27 then. Teams don't normally go crazy to outbid other teams for 27 year old's with suspect upside.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-09-2020, 04:31 AM
If they view him as strictly a back up PG then I doubt they'd look to pay him anywhere near what Murray got. It could be the best for both sides if he plays his 4th year, becomes a UFA and sets his own value in free agency. There are too many PGs in the NBA, with a lot more coming in this draft and he might find it difficult to get starters money anywhere. He's such a good all around player but his timidness will cost him.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 04:38 AM
White isn't earning what he's being paid now.

Big P
02-09-2020, 10:55 AM
I'm sure patfo will outbid themselves again and give him a ridiculous contract extension, tying up cap space ...white is not a $10-12 mil a year player...but since no FA's want to come play for pop, I'm sure he will get it...then they will give forbes even more money and we can watch more shitty bball for the foreseeable future.

K...
02-09-2020, 11:13 AM
7.7 is the median contract so 10 isn't a big contract by any stretch of imagination. Also this news is evidence that bryn is going away as a free agent since the spurs won't keep 3 guards of middling ability

tim_duncan_fan
02-09-2020, 11:41 AM
since the spurs won't keep 3 guards of middling ability

You hope.

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-09-2020, 11:47 AM
$10-12 million would be fair I think for White. He is the better player right now between he and Murray and in all honesty they can both share the court together. Murray seems to be a bit better playing off the ball and White is good playing off ball also.

cd021
02-09-2020, 12:37 PM
If they view him as strictly a back up PG then I doubt they'd look to pay him anywhere near what Murray got. It could be the best for both sides if he plays his 4th year, becomes a UFA and sets his own value in free agency. There are too many PGs in the NBA, with a lot more coming in this draft and he might find it difficult to get starters money anywhere. He's such a good all around player but his timidness will cost him.

Its true that he is probably a backup PG in the NBA and he plays at the deepest position. Next off-season is also a much better free agency class so he may become an after thought until most of the money is gone. Its possible that he gets squeezed but they may be better off to avoid RFA and lock him up early.

Getting him on a good deal would also increase his trade value because he'd be under contract for four additional seasons.

cd021
02-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Think 4 years, $56 million is probably an reasonable extension. If he wants 4 years, $60 million, i'd consider letting him hit RFA.

Nivek_ogre
02-09-2020, 01:43 PM
Right now he's a better player than murray. He's a better shooter, a better defender and a better playmaker. Murray is non shooting slashing point guard who has trouble running an offense and finishing at the rim. Giving white any less than Murray will be hard for the front office to justify.

Mugen
02-09-2020, 01:47 PM
For his sake, I hope he's able to get away from this garbage organization. Especially if the old man is going to have influence for several more years.

R. DeMurre
02-09-2020, 01:53 PM
White has the potential to be a classic glue guy on a great team-- he's not a star, but unlike DeRozan there are no gaping holes in his game that make it difficult to put players around him. It's still hard to not imagine how well he would've fit on a team with Kawhi, Aldridge, Bertans, etc... I can absolutely see him leaving, tired of giving up minutes to obviously inferior players like Forbes and Belinelli.

Rummpd
02-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Pop ruined him

wildbill2u
02-09-2020, 03:30 PM
White was certainly given a helpful hand up by Pop putting him on the USA team. That didn't work out too well as he didn't make a leap forward from the previous year. This year he has been so inconsistent that we all wondered if he had a secret injury/ He's a useful piece but who knows if he can be an irreplaceable piece.

K...
02-09-2020, 03:35 PM
May just best to make him a 6man type player to limit his minutes and give him a defined role.

DPG21920
02-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Spurs due to what they’ve done will have to over pay to keep some guys. Maybe not crazy overpay but overpay nonetheless.

They gave out too many loyalty deals, they know they can’t afford to lose the young guys with a rebuild looming and how Pop has somewhat yanked guys around (not playing much Lonnie, no expanding of minutes or role for White despite a breakout year, no Murray and White together..)

DPG21920
02-09-2020, 03:42 PM
But to the article: White has shown more than Murray has imo. White is viewed as less upside due to age and athleticism but he’s shown more on the court.

Having said that I think a Muted Murray type deal for White is what we will see; with a Kyle Anderson deal being the low end if SA has leverage. About 50M is my guess with as low as 40 arguable too.

slick'81
02-09-2020, 05:05 PM
I'm sure patfo will outbid themselves again and give him a ridiculous contract extension, tying up cap space ...white is not a $10-12 mil a year player...but since no FA's want to come play for pop, I'm sure he will get it...then they will give forbes even more money and we can watch more shitty bball for the foreseeable future.

Thats the problem! If scrubs like patty are getting 12-13 how are you going to convinvce white to take as much as a player hes by far superior to!?

cd021
02-09-2020, 07:30 PM
But to the article: White has shown more than Murray has imo. White is viewed as less upside due to age and athleticism but he’s shown more on the court.

Having said that I think a Muted Murray type deal for White is what we will see; with a Kyle Anderson deal being the low end if SA has leverage. About 50M is my guess with as low as 40 arguable too.

The article was actually written a couple of weeks ago; I agree that White has shown more than Murray thus far but not quite enough to warrant the Spurs to offer more or equal to Murray's deal. White hasn't lived up to expectations and at 25 its more likely that he is close to being the player he currently is.

If he were to opt for RFA then he may not get as much as he thinks he might because of its a much better free agent class. Teams normally don't chase RFAs if they think that the incumbent team will match reasonable offers. If a team wants him, then they'll likely have to overpay for him but he'll already be 27 then.

DPG21920
02-09-2020, 07:37 PM
The article was actually written a couple of weeks ago; I agree that White has shown more than Murray thus far but not quite enough to warrant the Spurs to offer more or equal to Murray's deal. White hasn't lived up to expectations and at 25 its more likely that he is close to being the player he currently is.

If he were to opt for RFA then he may not get as much as he thinks he might because of its a much better free agent class. Teams normally don't chase RFAs if they think that the incumbent team will match reasonable offers. If a team wants him, then they'll likely have to overpay for him but he'll already be 27 then.

Agree for sure. He will have interest but I don’t think he’d do worse than full MLE but not better than 50 either. So makes sense Sa can keep him in that range.

TD 21
02-09-2020, 07:38 PM
As I've said, if I'm his representation and him, I'm not accepting a penny less than Murray received and if I'm the Spurs, I'm not interested in trying up star money (combined) long term for two players, who mostly play the same position and have sub star ceilings.

Not that cap space will be an issue for a while, but if need be, I'd rather package one with the upcoming pick to move up in the draft or trade for a young forward who fits better long term.

Down Under
02-09-2020, 08:06 PM
If there's one good thing about White's limited minutes & usage, it might end up saving us on the next contract. Dude could average 20 points on good efficiency & 5 assists if he was your 1st or 2nd option. Defense too. You're never going to live up to expectations without consistent usage.

slick'81
02-09-2020, 09:02 PM
If there's one good thing about White's limited minutes & usage, it might end up saving us on the next contract. Dude could average 20 points on good efficiency & 5 assists if he was your 1st or 2nd option. Defense too. You're never going to live up to expectations without consistent usage.

It sure doesnt help hes basically the backup pg here

Down Under
02-09-2020, 10:52 PM
It sure doesnt help hes basically the backup pg here
I just don't get it.

Truth4sale$
02-10-2020, 02:42 AM
White has been too inconsistent this year, so it would be good time to sign him for the right price. He wont be a starter in San Antonio with Murray, he may not get a big contract based on his play this year. He is not exceptional, I think a contact similar to Patty mills @, but starting at 7milliom a year

tbdog
02-10-2020, 07:01 AM
I cant see any reason why Murray and White can't play together. They both can shoot decently enough. They could hound other guards all game. To me they are joy to watch.

Harry Callahan
02-10-2020, 07:09 AM
White is a legit NBA rotation player at the very least. With a summer off to heal, he could improve a lot and be the player we saw a good bit in the 2018 season. He's worth keeping around as all the older player contracts expire in the next year.

The FO needs a few of these guys to stick around for the rebuild that needs to happen in the next couple of seasons.

ceperez
02-10-2020, 07:10 AM
White is my favorite player in the team. He knows how to play. That said, this season has been a dissapointment.

The problem is that he's deferring to veterans like DeRozan and Aldridge that have zero basketball IQ.

pad300
02-10-2020, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking the cash could look like Satoransky's contract in Chicago. I'd be quite willing to pay him that if I was running SAS.

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2020, 02:27 PM
poor Derrick got finessed by Flopovich and has to sign for a lower contract because of that. Will take another 4 years until he can finally go to another franchise with a competent head coach

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2020, 02:27 PM
I cant see any reason why Murray and White can't play together. They both can shoot decently enough. They could hound other guards all game. To me they are joy to watch.

I see a big reason why they can't. It starts with Pop and ends with ovich

SpaceCoast Spursfan
02-11-2020, 09:43 AM
White has been too inconsistent this year, so it would be good time to sign him for the right price. He wont be a starter in San Antonio with Murray, he may not get a big contract based on his play this year. He is not exceptional, I think a contact similar to Patty mills @, but starting at 7milliom a year

The real question in why would White even want an extension in SA? He was drafted as a combo guard, who most thought wasn't really a PG, to Pop playing him almost exclusively as a PG. Spurs just made big investment in a PG, who hasn't demonstrated as much success as you have & has been every bit as inconsistent.

If you are White the only incentive to sign would be money, but we are talking about being OK extending White for the right price. I think there are alot of teams willing to pay him at least that "right" price while also giving him consistent 25+ minutes a game. If you are White, watching Forbes & at times Mills & Beli getting more minutes, I just can't see him being eager to do extension.

Add in that with no DDR last night, Walker gets almost all those minutes & White saw no increase. I can't see White or his agents thinking the Spurs are the best franchise for his basketball future.

exstatic
02-11-2020, 02:42 PM
The real question in why would White even want an extension in SA? He was drafted as a combo guard, who most thought wasn't really a PG, to Pop playing him almost exclusively as a PG. Spurs just made big investment in a PG, who hasn't demonstrated as much success as you have & has been every bit as inconsistent.

If you are White the only incentive to sign would be money, but we are talking about being OK extending White for the right price. I think there are alot of teams willing to pay him at least that "right" price while also giving him consistent 25+ minutes a game. If you are White, watching Forbes & at times Mills & Beli getting more minutes, I just can't see him being eager to do extension.

Add in that with no DDR last night, Walker gets almost all those minutes & White saw no increase. I can't see White or his agents thinking the Spurs are the best franchise for his basketball future.

The minutes are what is inconsistent. When Derrick gets them, he performs. He's 5th in minutes, but 3rd in FTA/gm, almost matching the total attempts by Forbes AND Murray. Other than DeRozan, he's the only ball handler that is aggressive going to the rack with normally a good result, either a bucket, FTs, or an and1.

TDomination
02-11-2020, 03:17 PM
I hope he stays long term. I like Derricks game.

TDomination
02-11-2020, 03:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ2Payw3V5Q