PDA

View Full Version : How The He** Was There No Fire Sale At The Trade Deadline?

Spurtacular
02-08-2020, 11:57 PM
I watch these Spurs and I think just tear it down and build it back up.

Everything should've been on the table. Were we not selling, or was Pop just not willing to sacrifice his career win percentage?

SpurPadre
02-09-2020, 12:00 AM

Everything should've been on the table. Were we not selling, or was Pop just not willing to sacrifice his career win percentage?

:pop: "You can make trades in February?"

slick'81
02-09-2020, 12:00 AM
Wtf knows at this point,tbh

Genovaswitness
02-09-2020, 12:04 AM
thanks poop :toast

no wonder kawhi left :lmao

ducks
02-09-2020, 12:13 AM
He was busy watching politics not taking basketball serious

timtonymanu
02-09-2020, 12:22 AM
Realistically, the Spurs have no assets to give away. Just garbage vets and no youth with star potential at the moment.

Chomag
02-09-2020, 12:23 AM
:pop: " I had more important things to focus on then a silly game of basketball. You Spurs fans need to get over yourselves, there are bigger things then basketball "

Darius Bieber
02-09-2020, 12:23 AM
No other team would ever pick up the phone from the Spurs with only the trash ass players we have to offer.

sasaint
02-09-2020, 12:32 AM
Realistically, the Spurs have no assets to give away. Just garbage vets and no youth with star potential at the moment.

No other team would ever pick up the phone from the Spurs with only the trash ass players we have to offer.

I disagree. There were apparently some discussions about Rudy, but we wanted too much for him. I doubt the Spurs initiated much of anything, but I would bet that they wanted too much for anybody to get traded. I think all of our guys are tradeable - IF your expectations aren't out of whack. I just think the Spurs' expectations were out of whack.

tbdog
02-09-2020, 12:45 AM
What ever moves the Spurs wanted to do at trade deadline would be more possible come draft night. There was no rush to gut the team now.

sasaint
02-09-2020, 12:51 AM
What ever moves the Spurs wanted to do at trade deadline would be more possible come draft night. There was no rush to gut the team now.

Just gonna have slightly more devalued assets on our hands.

Bellboy
02-09-2020, 12:55 AM
:pop: Don’t have time for basketball at the moment. I have grape rot in the Pinot Noir section at my winery in Chile

look_at_g_shred
02-09-2020, 12:58 AM
We.Like.What.We.Have

tmtcsc
02-09-2020, 02:45 AM

I don't think anyone wanted our trash.

Nivek_ogre
02-09-2020, 02:59 AM
Really? Another stupid thread for you to talk to yourself about the same shit. At least ducks has something interesting to say.....
.never mind. It's same brainless shit as usual.

alpha_HaZE
02-09-2020, 03:04 AM
Because DeMar is really the only player other teams ask, Rudy got some interest but I doubt anyone will give a first round pick for him and even if they did this draft is pretty thin. We couldn't get a decent pick for LA when he wanted out, and his value has gone way down since then.

And with DeMar we can do a sign and trade this summer, he will be the biggest FA in this class so we should be able to get a nice return for him.

cd021
02-09-2020, 03:18 AM

Not really. Team's would get about a season and a half out of Aldridge and a half season to convince DDR to stay.

The draft occurs before DeRozans opt-in date, so the Spurs would likely have to wait until after he opts-in to try and seriously shop him.

In the off-season, maybe something like Aldridge for Otto Porter and a 2021 lottery protected Bulls could get done. Their not far off from being a playoff team in the East now, so adding Aldridge could make them likely to do so next season.

Porter has pretty much been injured for a year and a half and overpaid. If he gets healthy, he'd actually be a pretty good 3 and the Spurs would get an extra 1st.

tbdog
02-09-2020, 03:52 AM
Not really. Team's would get about a season and a half out of Aldridge and a half season to convince DDR to stay.

The draft occurs before DeRozans opt-in date, so the Spurs would likely have to wait until after he opts-in to try and seriously shop him.

In the off-season, maybe something like Aldridge for Otto Porter and a 2021 lottery protected Bulls could get done. Their not far off from being a playoff team in the East now, so adding Aldridge could make them likely to do so next season.

Porter has pretty much been injured for a year and a half and overpaid. If he gets healthy, he'd actually be a pretty good 3 and the Spurs would get an extra 1st.

The teams wanting DD or LMA are playoff teams wanting the push for a deep run or title run. In the offseason, more teams have higher aspersions.

Spurtacular
02-09-2020, 04:31 AM
I don't think anyone wanted our trash.

We had salvageable goods. I really just think Gregg cannot stand the thought of his coaching record plunging any further.

cd021
02-09-2020, 04:56 AM
The teams wanting DD or LMA are playoff teams wanting the push for a deep run or title run. In the offseason, more teams have higher aspersions.

Looking through the currently playoff teams, really only Orlando and Boston and Miami would make sense for one of them. Boston and Miami really wouldn't be able to make a trade with matching salary. Orlando might want DDR but only after he opts in.

Chicago and Portland make sense for Aldridge. Portland could do Ariza, Collins, and Hood for Aldridge. Hood would miss most of next season, Ariza is not very good anymore and Collins has yet to break out (due to injury). Spurs would almost certainly want a 1st in that deal.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 05:30 AM

Everything should've been on the table. ...

It was. No takers.

Spurtacular
02-09-2020, 05:40 AM
It was. No takers.

Frankly, I wasn't even hearing rumors of trades.

tbdog
02-09-2020, 06:09 AM
Looking through the currently playoff teams, really only Orlando and Boston and Miami would make sense for one of them. Boston and Miami really wouldn't be able to make a trade with matching salary. Orlando might want DDR but only after he opts in.

Chicago and Portland make sense for Aldridge. Portland could do Ariza, Collins, and Hood for Aldridge. Hood would miss most of next season, Ariza is not very good anymore and Collins has yet to break out (due to injury). Spurs would almost certainly want a 1st in that deal.

Ariza would need be on a separate trade with matching salaries.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 06:41 AM
Hard to believe nobody doesn't think Rudy Gay couldn't be a final piece.

Teams were probably baffled because they couldn't decide who they wanted more, Rudy or Belinelli.

The Spurs are in a horrible financial situation, as far as making any serious moves. The highest paid player on the team does not even attempt 3-point shots. For example.

The Kings hit 19 of 35 three-pointers against us. In beating the Clips, the Twolves went 26 of 44 from the arc. Teams notice things like that.

Then they look at DDR. Who shoots zilch for zilch from the arc. Do they want him? Not much. Would they pay $27.7 million for him? Har har har.

DDR can do some things, sure. He's a good player in some ways. He can get you 20 ppg the hard way, 2 at a time. What's that really worth, in ye olde modern NBA? Wild guess...$15M. Can the Spurs afford to take a $12M loss on that contract? Nope. All they can do is let it run out. So, no trade.

Same with Rudy Gay. The Spurs are overpaying him by too much. The team can't afford the hit to trade him.

Same with LMA. Sure, he could be traded, but at what price? There's the rub.

Fans talk about the players, but it's really about the money. The Spurs, these last few years with Pop, have been grossly overpaying players. Now it's come around to bite them. They can't afford trades. The financial losses are too heavy.

It's all turned into a big Pau Gasol situation. The Spurs moved Gasol by agreeing to pay part of his salary themselves. Of which $5M is still on the books this year.

Sure, the Spurs could have a "fire sale" and move most of their players - by agreeing to pay, oh, maybe $50 million worth of salary to players who aren't here any more. Good grief.

cd021
02-09-2020, 07:28 AM
Ariza would need be on a separate trade with matching salaries.

He can't be aggregated for two months after the trade. It wouldn't matter in the off-season.

DPG21920
02-09-2020, 08:51 AM
This is what happens when you have two very opposed mindsets in the front office. I am confident in saying that its highly unlikely that the FO is lock step in what they should do.

You have Pop towering over everyone and basically Kobe-ing the Spurs. He wants to win now, blinded by that, despite it not probably being the best thing for the team long term.

Then you have a FO that is also hedging for the future.

But when you have a coach that allows for losing to set in, no defense and bad habits this is what you get. He’s coaching some people but not all. He’s not doing anything to stop the bleeding and as much as our guys are good guys, they know the truth. They know who doesn’t deserve minutes but is getting them. They see the constant breakdowns.

Not making even a minor trade to send a message was a big mistake.

duncan2k5
02-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Career winning percentage?? We are losing!!! And gonna miss the playoffs!! What winning percentage are u saying he doesn't wanna sacrifice? Lol... It is very clear we needed to make moves... But Pop has lost it... Even Donavan is coaching the shit OKC roster to the playoffs...

tholdren
02-09-2020, 10:30 AM
Lma should have been packaged, or tried with gay, since his "3 point" threat had been established. Hes worse than love on both sides of the ball.

02-09-2020, 10:31 AM
The Timberwolves re-made the majority of their roster this past week and with their new players, they blow out the Clippers,

baseline bum
02-09-2020, 10:36 AM
They're going to re-sign DeRozan this summer, aren't they? :pctoss

Dverde
02-09-2020, 10:45 AM
I actually believe they didn’t want to trade DeMar because it would hurt his feelings. Also front office ego about looking like losers on the Nephew trade.

Dverde
02-09-2020, 10:46 AM

They still have to sit down with Bryn Forbes and figure out how they want to build this team together. Entirely up to him.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 11:06 AM

DDR has a player option. If he signs it, he's back. No team re-signing necessary.

Ibleedslvrnblk
02-09-2020, 11:17 AM
I'm so confused. I thought you guys want to lose and get the lottery pick. If they traded someone they might have started to win....

Leetonidas
02-09-2020, 11:54 AM
I'm so confused. I thought you guys want to lose and get the lottery pick. If they traded someone they might have started to win....

We want the team to pick a fucking lane and commit. Either make a real playoffs push and trade for some legit pieces or have a fire sale and commit to the rebuild. This fighting for the 8th-11th seed and a mid lotto pick shit is fucking stupid

K...
02-09-2020, 12:00 PM
The Timberwolves re-made the majority of their roster this past week and with their new players, they blow out the Clippers,

But the Spurs also beat good teams from time to time. It means nothing. The wolves have a true star in his prime. They had to move. Just like when we had a true number one we tried to get talent but the Uncle thing happened. Why would the Spurs trade middling players for middling players when there isn't a system to plug them in? Just stirring the pot for the eighth seed.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 12:04 PM
I'm so confused. I thought you guys want to lose and get the lottery pick. ...

Nobody wants to lose. But if the Spurs are losing anyway, might as well make the best of it, and go big.

phxspurfan
02-09-2020, 12:58 PM
DDR has a player option. If he signs it, he's back. No team re-signing necessary.

He may not pick that up

ducks
02-09-2020, 01:05 PM
Wiggins was young good when motivated
Russel for Wiggins was a no brainer

RC_Drunkford
02-09-2020, 01:11 PM
This is what happens when you have two very opposed mindsets in the front office. I am confident in saying that its highly unlikely that the FO is lock step in what they should do.

You have Pop towering over everyone and basically Kobe-ing the Spurs. He wants to win now, blinded by that, despite it not probably being the best thing for the team long term.

But when you have a coach that allows for losing to set in, no defense and bad habits this is what you get. He’s coaching some people but not all. He’s not doing anything to stop the bleeding and as much as our guys are good guys, they know the truth. They know who doesn’t deserve minutes but is getting them. They see the constant breakdowns.

:pop: "We're doing what's best for the team"

I don't even know how Flopovich himself can believe the dumb shit he's saying

duncan2k5
02-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Incompetence

Duncan2177
02-09-2020, 01:21 PM
:pop: " I had more important things to focus on then a silly game of basketball. You Spurs fans need to get over yourselves, there are bigger things then basketball "

If you feel that way then you need to retire dumbass.

Spurtacular
02-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Teams were probably baffled because they couldn't decide who they wanted more, Rudy or Belinelli.

The Spurs are in a horrible financial situation, as far as making any serious moves. The highest paid player on the team does not even attempt 3-point shots. For example.

The Kings hit 19 of 35 three-pointers against us. In beating the Clips, the Twolves went 26 of 44 from the arc. Teams notice things like that.

Then they look at DDR. Who shoots zilch for zilch from the arc. Do they want him? Not much. Would they pay $27.7 million for him? Har har har.

DDR can do some things, sure. He's a good player in some ways. He can get you 20 ppg the hard way, 2 at a time. What's that really worth, in ye olde modern NBA? Wild guess...$15M. Can the Spurs afford to take a $12M loss on that contract? Nope. All they can do is let it run out. So, no trade.

Same with Rudy Gay. The Spurs are overpaying him by too much. The team can't afford the hit to trade him.

Fans talk about the players, but it's really about the money. The Spurs, these last few years with Pop, have been grossly overpaying players. Now it's come around to bite them. They can't afford trades. The financial losses are too heavy.

It's all turned into a big Pau Gasol situation. The Spurs moved Gasol by agreeing to pay part of his salary themselves. Of which $5M is still on the books this year.

Sure, the Spurs could have a "fire sale" and move most of their players - by agreeing to pay, oh, maybe $50 million worth of salary to players who aren't here any more. Good grief.

That's what a fire sale is, often: Pennies on the dollar. What's the advantage in keeping him at this point? I suppose the outside shot at making the playoffs stays intact; though these Spurs don't look very interested in that.

Spurs could've gotten rid of LMA, DDR if they really wanted, IMO. I just don't think Gregg wants the ungodly # of L's on his record. That was okay when they were tanking for Duncan and the payoff was obvious. It's too much of a gut punch to Gregg's ego though. We can hope he retires after 2020 Team USA stuff maybe.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 08:28 PM
That's what a fire sale is, often: Pennies on the dollar. ...

LMA has a legally-binding contract for $26 M this year, and $24 M next year. Are YOU going to pay it?

Are you?

... What's the advantage in keeping him at this point? ...

Guy, the Spurs can't just hand LMA a $20 bill and tell him to leave, because he has a LEGALLY-BINDING contract. Are you just a fool? Whassa matter you?

Spurs could've gotten rid of LMA, ...

Guy, when there are LEGALLY-BINDING contracts...

YOU. HAVE. TO. PAY. THEM.

Do you have so little experience of the world you've never heard of contracting for services?

The Spurs couldn't find anybody to take LMA's contract off their hands. They couldn't find anybody else who would agree to pay LMA that much to play basketball. In other words, PATFO could not find anybody else in the NBA who's as financially stupid as they are.

Sure, the Spurs could have traded LMA's contract, as far as just that simple fact goes. They could have found teams ready to pay him, oh, $18 million, maybe. But he has a LEGALLY-BINDING contract for $24 million next season. SOMEBODY is going to pay him the other $6 million. Are you volunteering to make up the difference?

See the problem?

You seem to think it's only about the players. That's incorrect. It's about the money. The MONEY.

The Spurs have signed contracts which are gross overpays for DDR, LMA, Rudy Gay, and others. The Spurs cannot find other teams who are willing to pay those players that much. Which means the Spurs are stuck with those contracts.

Spurtacular
02-09-2020, 08:45 PM
LMA has a legally-binding contract for $26 M this year, and $24 M next year. Are YOU going to pay it?

Are you?

Guy, the Spurs can't just hand LMA a $20 bill and tell him to leave, because he has a LEGALLY-BINDING contract. Are you just a fool? Whassa matter you?

Do you have so little experience of the world you've never heard of contracting for services?

The Spurs couldn't find anybody to take LMA's contract off their hands. They couldn't find anybody else who would agree to pay LMA that much to play basketball. In other words, PATFO could not find anybody else in the NBA who's as financially stupid as they are.

Sure, the Spurs could have traded LMA's contract, as far as just that simple fact goes. They could have found teams ready to pay him, oh, $18 million, maybe. But he has a LEGALLY-BINDING contract for $24 million next season. SOMEBODY is going to pay him the other $6 million. Are you volunteering to make up the difference?

See the problem?

You seem to think it's only about the players. That's incorrect. It's about the money. The MONEY.

The Spurs have signed contracts which are gross overpays for DDR, LMA, Rudy Gay, and others. The Spurs cannot find other teams who are willing to pay those players that much. Which means the Spurs are stuck with those contracts.

Nobody saying the Spurs couldn't pay part of the contract in a trade. Get off your high horse, bro.

talkspurs
02-09-2020, 08:51 PM

Are you?

See the problem?

It is not always the contract that makes it hard it is what are the spurs wanting back. if they were wanting a first for carrol and 2 for Marco nobody was going to do that as it would have been giving up to much. I am sure If we would have been willing to take a 2nd rd and some contract equal to LMA we could have traded him I think he is worth more then that but it also comes down to what are we asking back.

If I was the Spurs and could have gotten a 2nd for Marco or Carrol I would have done it. Might have even done it for Gay.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 09:07 PM
Nobody saying the Spurs couldn't pay part of the contract in a trade. Get off your high horse, bro.

We're talking about trading players, and I was pointing out the basic cause of the problem (which you and others were ignoring.)

If the Spurs agreed to pay, say, $6 M of the cost of trading LMA, that would effectively add $6 M to the cost of his replacement.

Same with the others, like DDR and Gay. It's a terrible financial bind.

Big P
02-09-2020, 09:25 PM
We're talking about trading players, and I was pointing out the basic cause of the problem (which you and others were ignoring.)

If the Spurs agreed to pay, say, $6 M of the cost of trading LMA, that would effectively add $6 M to the cost of his replacement.

$3 mil is the max cash a team can include in a trade.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 10:05 PM
$3 mil is the max cash a team can include in a trade.

Hm, I haven't gone back and checked, and could be mistaken, but I thought the Spurs sent $5 M cash to Toronto in the KL trade.

tbdog
02-09-2020, 10:09 PM
He can't be aggregated for two months after the trade. It wouldn't matter in the off-season.

I actually thought he could be it must be a seperate trade. Maybe I am thinking if someone gets traded in the off season then at the trade deadline. Now coming to think of it, did this make is harder to trade Caroll because technically he was traded for?

Spurtacular
02-09-2020, 10:28 PM

Well part of your problem is the belief that I was saying a DDR or LMA trade was ever so easy. My point was that nobody was getting sold.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 10:44 PM
If I was the Spurs and could have gotten a 2nd for Marco or Carrol I would have done it. ...

The problem is in finding a trade partner to do that. It sounds easy: give us a 2nd, and we'll give you Marco.

However, does the other team have an open roster spot? If they don't, they can't do that, just as a simple trade. The rules limit the number of players on a roster, as we know.

As far as I know, most teams carry full rosters, most of the time. A team interested in Marco, at what looks like a bargain price, would have to open a roster spot, probably.

They could waive a player they're not using. But if he clears waivers (doesn't get picked up) they'll still have to pay him. Then the cost of acquiring Marco becomes Marco's salary + the other player's salary + the 2nd. That doesn't look so good.

Then, can the Spurs find a team that's far enough under the salary cap so they can just toss Marco's contract on the pile? Nope. Last I checked, only one team in the NBA was under the cap at all. The Hawks were under by about 4 M I think, and everybody else over. A team that wanted to add Marco's salary to what they already have, would have to do some salary cap finagling, probably.

Roster limits. Salary cap limits. No trade these days is just a simple swap.

That is, unless teams swap players who are very close in salary. Then it becomes easy enough. Scanning the list of NBA players, it looks like there might be half a dozen players around the league, who are close enough in salary to Marco, and on expiring contracts, to do an easy swap. Not sure any of them is worth more than Beli, to the Spurs, or is really available.

JeffDuncan
02-09-2020, 10:46 PM
Well part of your problem is the belief that I was saying a DDR or LMA trade was ever so easy. My point was that nobody was getting sold.

Fortunately, it isn't my problem. It's the Spurs' problem, and they're welcome to it.

talkspurs
02-09-2020, 10:59 PM
The problem is in finding a trade partner to do that. It sounds easy: give us a 2nd, and we'll give you Marco.

However, does the other team have an open roster spot? If they don't, they can't do that, just as a simple trade. The rules limit the number of players on a roster, as we know.

As far as I know, most teams carry full rosters, most of the time. A team interested in Marco, at what looks like a bargain price, would have to open a roster spot, probably.

They could waive a player they're not using. But if he clears waivers (doesn't get picked up) they'll still have to pay him. Then the cost of acquiring Marco becomes Marco's salary + the other player's salary + the 2nd. That doesn't look so good.

Then, can the Spurs find a team that's far enough under the salary cap so they can just toss Marco's contract on the pile? Nope. Last I checked, only one team in the NBA was under the cap at all. The Hawks were under by about 4 M I think, and everybody else over. A team that wanted to add Marco's salary to what they already have, would have to do some salary cap finagling, probably.

Roster limits. Salary cap limits. No trade these days is just a simple swap.

That is, unless teams swap players who are very close in salary. Then it becomes easy enough. Scanning the list of NBA players, it looks like there might be half a dozen players around the league, who are close enough in salary to Marco, and on expiring contracts, to do an easy swap. Not sure any of them is worth more than Beli, to the Spurs, or is really available.

I was having us take back a player for a year at equal salary. The more thing to do would be get a 2nd to hold over seas in case they would pan out. I also know marco is an expiring so would not want to go more then a yr. I think this would be hard to do. Carrol on the other hand would be able to trade for a player that has this year or this year and next year and still come out ahead. Depending on what we can negotiate for a buyout would depend how we would come out in savings.

Spurtacular
02-09-2020, 11:00 PM
Fortunately, it isn't my problem. It's the Spurs' problem, and they're welcome to it.

I can understand that teams mostly didn't want our trash; but I don't think PATFO was really looking to trade all the same. Two or three players should've been shipped for whatever bag of balls another team was willing to give.

cd021
02-10-2020, 08:59 AM
I actually thought he could be it must be a seperate trade. Maybe I am thinking if someone gets traded in the off season then at the trade deadline. Now coming to think of it, did this make is harder to trade Caroll because technically he was traded for?

Its pretty confusing; admittedly, I didn't know it until I looked into the CBA after you brought it up.

Ariza apparently could be traded along with another player but he can't be aggregated with other salary (you can't multiply his salary by 150% to acquire another player).

The returning salary has to be pretty similar for a trade involving Ariza to work.

After two months that restriction goes away. It wouldn't have affected a potiential Carroll trade.

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2020, 09:10 AM
nobody got traded because the Spurs asked for too much which means they didn't want to move any of these players. They could've gotten a deal done for sure, but Spurs FO is delusional

Harry Callahan
02-10-2020, 11:14 AM

"Fire sales" are called fire sales for a reason. Your ROA (Return On Assets) sucks in a fire sale.

JeffDuncan
02-10-2020, 11:59 AM
"Fire sales" are called fire sales for a reason. Your ROA (Return On Assets) sucks in a fire sale.

The price for NBA players is legally set by their contracts. If you try to pay DDR only $10 million on his contract that calls for 27.7, he will tell you 1. Kiss my ass, and 2. See you in court. And he will win.

Why is everybody so dense about the players having to be paid? That is not optional.

Do people really not understand that having to pay DDR $27.7 million might have something to do with whether another team wants him?

DPG21920
02-10-2020, 12:01 PM
The price for NBA players is legally set by their contracts. If you try to pay DDR only $10 million on his contract that calls for 27.7, he will tell you 1. Kiss my ass, and 2. See you in court. And he will win.

Why is everybody so dense about the players having to be paid? That is not optional.

Do people really not understand that having to pay DDR $27.7 million might have something to do with whether another team wants him?

Please. For the love of God. Stop.

JeffDuncan
02-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Please. For the love of God. Stop.

Kiss my ass.

Guy, the Spurs cannot afford to take onto their own books $40 or $50 million for players who are not even here any more.

To trade players, they have to find teams who are willing to pay for those contracts. Which is hard to do, because the Spurs have badly overpriced their players, in many cases.

Is this too complicated for you? Does the simple fact that the players have to be paid boggle your little birdbrain mind?

DPG21920
02-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Kiss my ass.

Guy, the Spurs cannot afford to take onto their own books $40 or $50 million for players who are not even here any more.

To trade players, they have to find teams who are willing to pay for those contracts. Which is hard to do, because the Spurs have badly overpriced their players, in many cases.

Is this too complicated for you? Does the simple fact that the players have to be paid boggle your little birdbrain mind?

I am begging you. Please. I can’t take it any more.

Budkin
02-10-2020, 12:26 PM

:lmao

JeffDuncan
02-10-2020, 12:40 PM

Then why are you persisting, dumbass? Go pester somebody else, fool.

The reason the Spurs didn't have a "fire sale" is because the player contracts don't allow it. The players have to be paid their contract prices. They can't be let go at a discount. Are we clear on that?

DPG21920
02-10-2020, 12:52 PM

The reason the Spurs didn't have a "fire sale" is because the player contracts don't allow it. The players have to be paid their contract prices. They can't be let go at a discount. Are we clear on that?

No more. I beg of you sir. No. More.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-10-2020, 01:08 PM

Still happy about the trades discussions? :lmao

DPG21920
02-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Still happy about the trades discussions? :lmao

:lmao touché

duncan2k5
02-10-2020, 01:20 PM
nobody got traded because the Spurs asked for too much which means they didn't want to move any of these players. They could've gotten a deal done for sure, but Spurs FO is delusional

This

duncan2k5
02-10-2020, 01:24 PM

Wow...u can't he this slow ..Spurs are that incompetent that they can't trade EITHER LMA or DDR? No wonder we are here... Ppl keep making excuses for incompetence

JeffDuncan
02-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Wow...u can't he this slow ..Spurs are that incompetent that they can't trade EITHER LMA or DDR? No wonder we are here... Ppl keep making excuses for incompetence

The Spurs' incompetence is exactly what I'm talking about, dimwit. Financial incompetence.

The Spurs signed a contract agreeing to pay a "shooting guard" $27.7 million, when he doesn't even attempt to shoot 3s. In this era of the NBA. Would you call that competent? I would not.

And who the hell are they going to find to take that contract, to pay a "shooting guard" $27.7 million, when he doesn't even attempt to shoot 3s, in this era of the NBA? Who?

Nobody, is the answer. And you're such a cluck you think I'm talking about competence.

I'm talking about an organization so financially brain-dead stupid they've stuck themselves with a bunch of contracts they can't get rid of - except by burdening the team with, what, maybe $40 or $50 million in losses.

"Competence." You really are a fool.

SAGirl
02-10-2020, 06:09 PM
This. The Spurs received interest in a few players but all reports were that they were asking for a lot back.

sasaint
02-10-2020, 07:59 PM
This. The Spurs received interest in a few players but all reports were that they were asking for a lot back.

I strongly suspect there were two scenarios at play. I believe that there were inquiries initiated by other teams, and there were "feelers" put out by the Spurs. Any inquiries other teams initiated about Spurs players, were inquiries about guys the team didn't really want to trade - the young guys, probably Poodle in particular. On the other hand, I suspect if the Spurs made available Dumbmar, Gay and LMA their asking price was too steep. But I do not believe they actively "marketed" the Mediocre Three.

offset formation
02-10-2020, 08:17 PM

Pop letting Demar get away with a lack of hustle is the cancer under the surface that's eating away at accountability. That's simply undeniable.

Harry Callahan
02-11-2020, 12:54 AM

You completely miss my point. Whatever. Trading DDR at the trade deadline would be a double fire sale. They probably would have had to throw in a draft pick or get another bad contract back. That's why the asset was already devalued. I understand that. I have no idea where this $10MM stuff is coming from.

Texas_Ranger
02-11-2020, 02:12 AM
dont worry guys, Lonnie Walker and Derrick white are turning into Tim Duncan and Tony Parker any minute now... Oh and Šamanič only needs 15 more years and he will be our Manu.... you just wait!!

slick'81
02-11-2020, 04:01 AM
dont worry guys, Lonnie Walker and Derrick white are turning into Tim Duncan and Tony Parker any minute now... Oh and Šamanič only needs 15 more years and he will be our Manu.... you just wait!!

Its going to be a loong next few years

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 10:46 AM