PDA

View Full Version : Nocturnal SAPD

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Fucken, I got pulled over tonight.

..OK, so my Tax sticker had been expired for two months, but the incredible shit is that the cop was able to see that my sticker was expired from behind me and on a dark street. How fucken incredible is that?

Then he had the gall to tell me that if I just take my receipt (for a new sticker) to court with me on my court date they will likely dismiss the charges (a non-moving violation) for dismissal fees. I should have taped that shit on the cell! Can you see me telling the Judge that shit!

Judge: Innocent, guilty, or no-contest?

Me: None-of-the-above?

:lol

Sheeett....I see a defensive driving course in my future.

SequSpur
11-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Next time renew your shit on time.

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 01:19 AM
I bet you got pulled over for something else and he just noticed that. did you get another ticket?

Besides, the officer could have likely ran your license plate # and it shows on there when the inspection/registration expires or what have you. So since it had been two months..it was a no brainer.

MannyIsGod
11-04-2005, 01:21 AM
You use the streets right? Pay your registration time.

midgetonadonkey
11-04-2005, 01:25 AM

..OK, so my Tax sticker had been expired for two months, but the incredible shit is that the cop was able to see that my sticker was expired from behind me and on a dark street. How fucken incredible is that?

Then he had the gall to tell me that if I just take my receipt (for a new sticker) to court with me on my court date they will likely dismiss the charges (a non-moving violation) for dismissal fees. I should have taped that shit on the cell! Can you see me telling the Judge that shit!

I've got many tickets for no registration and they do dismiss it if you take them a receipt. Actually, I have to take the court a receipt for the ticket I got a couple of weeks ago for no inspection sticker. Defesive driving is only for moving violations. Calm down dude. It will only cost you like $10.
Fuck getting those stickers. I only get them when I get tickets and I've gone as long as 2 years with expired stickers before getting caught. And it only cost me $10.

Vashner
11-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Man that cop has good instincts.... buy that man a beer.

He could sense the Evildoer....

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 01:41 AM
I bet you got pulled over for something else and he just noticed that. did you get another ticket?

Besides, the officer could have likely ran your license plate # and it shows on there when the inspection/registration expires or what have you. So since it had been two months..it was a no brainer.

Nah, I asked him immediately as he came to my car why he pulled me over and he said my Tax sticker was expired. I was like, holy shit, you saw that?

Anyone know if that's probable cause?

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 01:43 AM
You use the streets right? Pay your registration time.

Oh yeah, cause I got nothing better to do but go visit Norma what's-her-face

:rolleyes

Shit, I thought we were in the 21st century, were are the internet renewals?

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 01:51 AM
I've got many tickets for no registration and they do dismiss it if you take them a receipt. Actually, I have to take the court a receipt for the ticket I got a couple of weeks ago for no inspection sticker. Defesive driving is only for moving violations. Calm down dude. It will only cost you like $10.
Fuck getting those stickers. I only get them when I get tickets and I've gone as long as 2 years with expired stickers before getting caught. And it only cost me $10.

Oh hell, I've gotten pulled over dozen's of times, so it's kinda old hat, and yes I've been pulled over for expired stickers and had to take defensive driving before. I've even gone the pleading innocent route and going to a jury trial for a busted license plate light, but I settled for the standard deferred adjudication before trial. Sheet...make them work for my $.

TheWriter
11-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Defensive driving is so damn easy now that you can do it over the internet.

I did my "five hour" course in a day and a half.

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Nah, I asked him immediately as he came to my car why he pulled me over and he said my Tax sticker was expired. I was like, holy shit, you saw that?

Anyone know if that's probable cause?

Yea he knew that because he ran your plate. He prolly ran it before he pulled you over.

TheWriter
11-04-2005, 02:32 AM
I once was pulled over on 37 downtown going north. I had just passed the Alamodome and was driving with the music kind of loud and when I look at my rear view mirror I see lights flashing. I pull over, the officer walks up. Tells me I was going 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. He got me because he was in an unmarked car.

He goes: "I was behind you for a while, why didn't you pull over?"

My response: "I wasn't paying attention."

He gave me this look... lol

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Yea he knew that because he ran your plate. He prolly ran it before he pulled you over.

Think about the implications. If the County Tax Assessor-Collector is issueing APB's if your delinquent on your road tax?

What's next? APB's for being late on your CPS bill?

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Interesting....very interesting.

Vashner
11-04-2005, 04:10 AM
Or it was us right wingers that have you monitored 24x7.. we just pulled you over to take another look at your car and attach a 2nd GPS sensor to improve tracking abilities.

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 04:46 AM
Nah, I'm not buying into the 'they ran your plate' line. That would make the city-county much too efficient to be possibly true.

I think it was batman.

:hat

ShoogarBear
11-04-2005, 08:28 AM
He could sense the Evildoer....

Daredevil the Cop

Gatita
11-04-2005, 08:40 AM

This bitching about cops reminds me of someone else on this forum. :blah

Anyhow, pay it.

You got busted.

End of story.

Ginofan
11-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Just to rub it in...

I went 6 months without renewing my registration and even got pulled over for speeding (off with a warning) during that time :) Finally renewed it 2 months ago, figured my luck just might run out soon if I didn't :lol

AndJuDontKnow
11-04-2005, 09:51 AM
the cop ran your plates.....its all registered if your stickers are up to date.....trust me...i got pulled over the same way....cop was to the right and back of me and pulled me over and said my stickers are expired......i had a suspended licensed and went to jail for that..........thats how he knew.......

SWC Bonfire
11-04-2005, 10:00 AM
the cop ran your plates.....its all registered if your stickers are up to date.....trust me...i got pulled over the same way....cop was to the right and back of me and pulled me over and said my stickers are expired......i had a suspended licensed and went to jail for that..........thats how he knew.......

ThatsGoddamnbigbrotherrightthereItellyouwhat...nex t thing you know they'll be tellin' you you cain't be takin' guns to schools 'n' such like...

mookie2001
11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
funny thing about stickers

if it expires in july and you go in october to renew it late, your next sticker still expires in july of the next year
thus making it totally pointless not to renew your shit
which pisses me off
what if you havent driven an old car or work truck in like 3 years, would you have to buy like 3 stickers?

SWC Bonfire
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
funny thing about stickers

if it expires in july and you go in october to renew it late, your next sticker still expires in july of the next year
thus making it totally pointless not to renew your shit
which pisses me off
what if you havent driven an old car or work truck in like 3 years, would you have to buy like 3 stickers?

They ask you if you have been driving your vehicle during the time that the sticker has been expired. If not, they will renew it with the current date.

mookie2001
11-04-2005, 10:08 AM
bastards
since when am I honest with gov agencies anyway?

proves my philosophy

N.Y. Johnny
11-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Yeah, fuckin customized plates suck....i came back and had a reminder for a ticket, no big deal, but they can spot you.....that or you fuckin ratted me out :lol

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah...he probably ran the plate...TEXDOT changed the stickers this year because of sticker theft and the stickers have the plate number of the car it belongs to on them. Its all in the database. They have those onboard computers now and they are constantly running plates of cars in front of them...and as to your question of probable cause, the computer showing the sticker expired is enough...

Useruser666
11-04-2005, 11:17 AM
The two black helicopters tailing you over head radioed to him that your sticker was expired. The helicopter probably got the signal from your cell phone which detected the RFID tag built into the sticker that transmits when it expires. The cop probably took your finger prints from the clip board the ticket was on when you signed for it and a DNA sample from the sweat you left behind on the pen. You're screwed! Now you HAVE TO go and get the sticker you were supposed to have AND pay like $10 court costs. Oh the humanity!

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Which brings us back to my original point...Is it ethical for the County to issue a APB for being delinquent on a tax? Think about what this could mean. Jails filled with people who simply forgot to pay their property taxes, late on fileing a quarterly, or what not...

I can afford to pay my ticket and for a new sticker, that's not the point, the point is there are thousands of San Antonians who have to go months without renewing their stickers out of financial neccessity, is this prosecution of the poor? Unfair prosecution at that because if your late on other taxes, like property taxes, there are legal recourses you can take to handle the situation before police are given probable cause to pull you over.

SpursWoman
11-04-2005, 11:45 AM
It's a vehicle tax, though...it's illegal to be driving the streets without updated registration. It's illegal not to pay your property taxes, too...but there are other consequences for that also.

It's not that big of a deal ... and it's certainly not one of those stupid obscure laws that no one knows about ... like not having a license plate on the front of your car. :flipoff

SWC Bonfire
11-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Which brings us back to my original point...Is it ethical for the County to issue a APB for being delinquent on a tax? Think about what this could mean. Jails filled with people who simply forgot to pay their property taxes, late on fileing a quarterly, or what not...

I can afford to pay my ticket and for a new sticker, that's not the point, the point is there are thousands of San Antonians who have to go months without renewing their stickers out of financial neccessity, is this prosecution of the poor? Unfair prosecution at that because if your late on other taxes, like property taxes, there are legal recourses you can take to handle the situation before police are given probable cause to pull you over.

They're going to throw your ass into debtor's prison, Nbadan. Maybe even ship you off to Australia.:lol

Shelly
11-04-2005, 11:47 AM
It's a vehicle tax, though...it's illegal to be driving the streets without updated registration. It's illegal not to pay your property taxes, too...but there are other consequences for that also.

It's not that big of a deal ... and it's certainly not one of those stupid obscure laws that no one knows about ... like not having a license plate on the front of your car. :flipoff

If you buy a car after Nov. 1, you no longer need a front license plate!

Useruser666
11-04-2005, 11:57 AM
If someone knocks off your plate in an accident then you don't need one either! :lol

SpursWoman
11-04-2005, 11:58 AM

I'm sure it's now gracing the wall of some hole-in-the-wall little bar on Nacogdoches. :lol

Carie
11-04-2005, 12:00 PM
So wait, if you have an older model car you're supposed to have a front license plate? I got the mother of all tickets last year and the cop never mentioned it.

SpursWoman
11-04-2005, 12:02 PM
I think it's one of the arbitrary laws that not even cops know about...except the one that pulled me over. :spin

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 12:02 PM

But does that alone constitute probable cause? Should it?

Useruser666
11-04-2005, 12:13 PM

Yes. The law states you should have that sticker on your car. You didn't, it's in plain site. He is your house's sticker expired too? I can sell you one for $300, that's half off. Interested?

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM

Of course it's probable cause...he punched your plate number in and it showed up as an expired registration...just because you were driving "safely" that doesn't mean he can't pull you over..If a policeman punches your plate number in and it shows theres a warrant for your arrest he doesn't have to wait till you change lanes without using a blinker to stop you...

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Of course it's probable cause...he punched your plate number in and it showed up as an expired registration...just because you were driving "safely" that doesn't mean he can't pull you over..If a policeman punches your plate number in and it shows theres a warrant for your arrest he doesn't have to wait till you change lanes without using a blinker to stop you...

exactly. you were breaking a law..plain and simple and after he ran ur plate he had probable cause to believe your registration was expired.

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 12:32 PM

you actually believe the county puts out an APB like u say??

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM

but that's a warrant. Being delinquent on your road tax is hardly the same. When did SAPD become the tax police?

SpursWoman
11-04-2005, 02:46 PM
but that's a warrant. Being delinquent on your road tax is hardly the same. When did SAPD become the tax police?

You haven't paid your share for the roads you're driving on. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, Dan. :lol

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 02:50 PM

are u talking about property tax?

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 02:54 PM
you actually believe the county puts out an APB like u say??

Of course not, but if their new system allows them to match tax stickers with vehicle VIN's as some here contend, then it would only stands to reason that the officer likely knew my sticker was expired before he pulled me over with the probable cause not being a 'open-sight violation', because he had no idea if I had renewed my sticker that day, but some type of notification from the County Tax Assessor-Collector's office that my sticker was likely expired.

If it smells, taste, looks, walks and talks like a warrant - its a warrant.

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
You haven't paid your share for the roads you're driving on. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, Dan. :lol

Don't get stuck on the details. My argument is what constitutes probable cause in this state?

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I work for SAPD and I guarantee you that is not occurring. Had you renewed your sticker that day then you would NOT have gotten a ticket.

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Don't get stuck on the details. My argument is what constitutes probable cause in this state?

It's not in this state..in this country....we have the same rights as the other 49 states. The Bill of Rights apply to the whole country.

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 02:58 PM
are u talking about property tax?

NO, a warrant is issued after you have failed to appear in court as promised or you somehow violated conditions of your release. When your late in buying your tax sticker, your late in paying your road-tax. So now that constitues probable cause?

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 02:59 PM
PROBABLE CAUSE - A reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime. The test the court of appeals employs to determine whether probable cause existed for purposes of arrest is whether facts and circumstances within the officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime.

You had not paid ur tax- he ran ur plate...and had reasonable belief that a person (you) had committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime.

N.Y. Johnny
11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
I work for SAPD and I guarantee you that is not occurring. Had you renewed your sticker that day then you would NOT have gotten a ticket.

You are a good man sir. thanks for all the help you've given me with the SAPD :spin

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 03:02 PM

I'm just using that as an example Z. The officer had no idea if I had renewed my sticker that day, he was acting on what he saw on his computer, but does that constitute probable cause? WHY?

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 03:02 PM
You are a good man sir. thanks for all the help you've given me with the SAPD :spin

What??

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm just using that as an example Z. The officer had no idea if I had renewed my sticker that day, he was acting on what he saw on his computer, but does that constitute probable cause? WHY?

Based on what he saw on the computer- it did constitute probable cause because he believed you were breaking the law (commiting a crime)-- and u were breaking the law, right?

N.Y. Johnny
11-04-2005, 03:05 PM
just renew your shit on time and you'll be fine sooner or later someone is going to see it and notice something

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
PROBABLE CAUSE - A reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime. The test the court of appeals employs to determine whether probable cause existed for purposes of arrest is whether facts and circumstances within the officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime.

You had not paid ur tax- he ran ur plate...and had reasonable belief that a person (you) had committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime.

Did the officer see my sticker? Likely not. So there must be a dynamic change to what constitues probable cause that people ought to know about. Shouldn't a reasonable belief be one in which the officer witnesses you commiting a crime before he pulled you over, or is suspecion of a crime absent any other type of evidence now good enough? I'm not dogging the SAPD, I'm just trying to get some clarification.

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Did the officer see my sticker? Likely not. So there must be a dynamic change to what constitues probable cause that people ought to know about. Shouldn't a reasonable belief be one in which the officer witnesses you commiting a crime before he pulled you over, or is suspecion of a crime absent any other type of evidence now good enough? I'm not dogging the SAPD, I'm just trying to get some clarification.

If an officer is walking by a car- and he smells marijuana coming from the car- he now has probable cause to believe a crime is being commited- even though he had not seen the marijuana. Same principle. The scenario gave him probable cause to search the vehicle...now if the people inside the vehicle finished it...swallowed it..then ha has nothing because its against the law to possess narcotics...not to use them.

Gatita
11-04-2005, 03:33 PM

Several years ago I was pulled over for not having the front license plate. DPS gave me a warning. Fair enough. I had that damn car for years, never having it mentioned to me before when I was previously pulled over. No biggie. I had the plate in the backseat the whole time. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
11-04-2005, 03:34 PM
^^I thought Texas allowed you not to have a front plate?

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 03:36 PM

nope. it's a ticketable offense

Cant_Be_Faded
11-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Why do you see so many people in Austin with front plates that say UT Texas, or their lame ass Fraternity letters

There are shitloads

Plus so many BMW's and Mercedes have like a front plate that just say BMW or Mercedes

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 03:45 PM
It's a ticketable offense but is rarely used..

Mr. Ash
11-04-2005, 06:33 PM
It's a ticketable offense but is rarely used..
It's more of a "driver is a jerk" offense from my experience. Heck,I received a ticket for not having a front plate on a rental car.

Shelly
11-04-2005, 06:41 PM

If you buy a car after Nov. 1, 2005. It supposedly passed.

Shelly
11-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Why do you see so many people in Austin with front plates that say UT Texas, or their lame ass Fraternity letters

There are shitloads

Plus so many BMW's and Mercedes have like a front plate that just say BMW or Mercedes

A lot of cars don't even come with the front bumper prepped for a plate. My husband's didn't.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-04-2005, 06:47 PM
A lot of cars don't even come with the front bumper prepped for a plate. My husband's didn't.

yeah exactly
alot of them are just silver plates with the name of the car's manufacturer or somethin

Shelly
11-04-2005, 06:50 PM
yeah exactly
alot of them are just silver plates with the name of the car's manufacturer or somethin

Not even that. If he wanted a front plate (which he doesn't), then they would have to drill holes in his bumper. If you order a car, you can usually request that they don't drill for the front plate.

AlamoSpursFan
11-04-2005, 06:53 PM
News flash for those of you not paying attention, not only can they look up your plate and see that it's expired...but your trusty, ever-loving state leg passed a law establishing an insurance database.

Soon, the trooper or cop will know before he even walks up to your window if you have insurance or not.

Sleep tight.

Gatita
11-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Damn it.

On the way home, I noticed my sticker was expired.

:pctoss

N.Y. Johnny
11-04-2005, 09:11 PM
If you buy a car after Nov. 1, 2005. It supposedly passed.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/NYJohnny/152fd8fc.jpg

well I haven't put one on mine yet..i got 2 plates from the dealers and just slapped the one on the back but not on the front..i was in a hurry and there wasn't a bracket on there??? fuck it..i was in a rush and didn't bother with it. I guess I'll worry about it when ZStomp calls my tags in and has the SAPD come and get me :lol

ZStomp
11-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Thats not ur car man...i know ur loaded but you can't have this car..a hummer..and who knows what else..come on man!

N.Y. Johnny
11-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Thats not ur car man...i know ur loaded but you can't have this car..a hummer..and who knows what else..come on man!

it is bro, the H2 is in NY remember? Ask my dear friend FA...i got this one and the Tahoe here. I got the Caddy garaged half the time, I went down to Ken Batchelor and they gave me a good deal :elephant :lol

ZStomp
11-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Take me a for a ride..

batman2883
11-05-2005, 12:43 PM
http://a423.v13336d.c13336.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/423/13336/3b858b51/mtvrdstr.download.akamai.com/8512/wmp/1/21168/23455_1_4_04.asf

Vashner
11-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Also now they have that glove box rule about pistols. If your clean (record wise) you can have a loaded gun in the glove box. Now I would suggest to anyone to take your CHL DPS certified class if your going to pack like that anyway. Just for the legal part at least. (To help you in court it will look a lot better if you have to shoot if your trained to the jury).

Remember if your packing under that new law. Tell the officer right away after he asks for your license.