PDA

View Full Version : We're currently slotted at 13th pick in the draft

SpurPadre
02-11-2020, 02:11 AM
We're 1.5 games back from the 10th slot and 5.5 games back from the 5th spot. #1 overall is out of reach but maybe we can move up closer to that by signing and trading DeRozan along with our 1st round pick. I know it's said to be a weaker draft but this is the closest we've been in the lottery since getting TD so we might as well make the most of it and we need to make serious changes. I'm excited.

phxspurfan
02-11-2020, 02:51 AM
We will finally get a lottery pick just in time for one of the worst drafts ever

NASpurs
02-11-2020, 02:59 AM
We will finally get a lottery pick just in time for one of the worst drafts ever

To be fair, we'll probably be shit again next year. How's next year's draft looking?

phxspurfan
02-11-2020, 03:09 AM
To be fair, we'll probably be shit again next year. How's next year's draft looking?

Not sure but if they give Forbes a 3 year extension they can have a chance at drafting Bronny James

slick'81
02-11-2020, 03:35 AM
Every loss gets us closer to that top 10....from there just pray the balls bounce our way

Spurtacular
02-11-2020, 04:46 AM
:hungry:

Maybe there's something to playing Forbes after all.

sananspursfan21
02-11-2020, 08:15 AM
Obi Toppin, Daniel Oturu, Precious Achiuwa, Tyrese Halliburton...

Oh pardon me, just spitting out some names of players I like in the upcoming draft that I think the Spurs could really use and now have a legitimate shot at nabbing

SuperCam
02-11-2020, 08:16 AM
https://i.imgur.com/fhHus70.png

:hungry:

tbdog
02-11-2020, 08:27 AM

Yes. I can't imagine Spurs giving up cap space in 2021

JADG79
02-11-2020, 08:48 AM
Just keep playing Forbes, rest LMA, call Luka, Keldom and Metu and we will be Top 10 for sure.
Our realistic scope is not the playoff is to draft as low as possible.

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 08:50 AM
I am in your same wavelength. They don't pull "the GAMECHANGER" (tm) from this draft, but get a good contributor to the future hopefully. Next draft they get the gamechanger. One can hope. I am being optimistic with Spurs drafting and coaching here too. But perhaps they need FO changes. Blundering picks is for sure the recipe for staying this bad for years.

Harry Callahan
02-11-2020, 10:00 AM
The Spurs have not hit bottom yet. Things will get worse before things get better. Thing thing about basketball is all it takes is one or two guys to change everything. Finding those guys is not always easy.

Spurs Homer
02-11-2020, 10:20 AM
Cant wait to get a top pick -

and then....

watch him play in Austin for 3 years!

Kobe'sAchilles
02-11-2020, 10:29 AM
I see us getting the 10th pick as a best case scenario. The East is just absolutely beyond shitty at the bottom I don't see how we overtake any of them in the loss column

palangi
02-11-2020, 10:48 AM
I see us getting the 10th pick as a best case scenario. The East is just absolutely beyond shitty at the bottom I don't see how we overtake any of them in the loss column

Forbes and belinelli

absoloot66
02-11-2020, 12:15 PM

Oh pardon me, just spitting out some names of players I like in the upcoming draft that I think the Spurs could really use and now have a legitimate shot at nabbing

Not sure how I'd feel rooting for someone named "Precious" in the NBA.:dramaquee

exstatic
02-11-2020, 01:02 PM

Luck of the draw can get you into the top 4. I think 3 teams from outside jumped into the top 4 this past summer under the new config.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2020, 01:03 PM
NO, Sacramento and PHX could all finish ahead of us based on how the Spurs seem to be regressing. Throw in a team or two from the east heating up a bit and we could end up 8 or 9!!!

Let's go Pop!! Keep Bryn at 26 minutes a night, throw in lots of 4th quarters for Marco and Patty and we're set!! :flag:

sananspursfan21
02-11-2020, 02:09 PM
Not sure how I'd feel rooting for someone named "Precious" in the NBA.:dramaquee

Not sure what mom was thinking on that one :lol

duncan2k5
02-11-2020, 02:15 PM

and then....

Nivek_ogre
02-11-2020, 03:01 PM
Both Memphis and New Orleans finished with 33 wins and they won the 1rst and 2nd picks in the draft. The spurs may be lucky to get 33 wins.

Arcadian
02-11-2020, 03:04 PM

To be fair, though, drafts are always difficult to predict. Just as expected stars can bust, unexpected ones can emerge.

Thomas82
02-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Both Memphis and New Orleans finished with 33 wins and they won the 1rst and 2nd picks in the draft. The spurs may be lucky to get 33 wins.

If that's the case, then there's hope for the Spurs this year.

TDomination
02-11-2020, 03:28 PM
Can anyone explain how the NBA lottery works? Generally speaking. I know some things have changed.
I understand lottery balls are selected and the team with worse records have more lottery balls than others but does that mean ANYONE not making the playoffs can literally get the 1st pick if their ball gets chosen even if their odds are low?

look_at_g_shred
02-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Can anyone explain how the NBA lottery works? Generally speaking. I know some things have changed.
I understand lottery balls are selected and the team with worse records have more lottery balls than others but does that mean ANYONE not making the playoffs can literally get the 1st pick if their ball gets chosen even if their odds are low?
No. Only teams that do not make the playoffs are eligible for Picks 1-14 (Lottery)

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 03:34 PM

https://www.drivetanks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/700-Sherman-Tank.jpg

exstatic
02-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Yes. As shown in a post a couple above yours, two teams that won 33 games, a lot for a team in the lottery, got slots one and two last year. They've flattened the odds, and added one extra drawn team. Used to be that the lottery was only for spots 1-3, and the rest went in reverse order of records. Now, it's the first four slots, so you both have a bigger chance to score a higher pick, and more higher picks drawn for, four, versus three previously.

exstatic
02-11-2020, 03:40 PM
No. Only teams that do not make the playoffs are eligible for Picks 1-14 (Lottery)

That's what he said.

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Seems like there are some interesting forwards at the top of this draft. Need to check some scouting reports. We need to get a long good defensive combo forward who can shoot

look_at_g_shred
02-11-2020, 04:09 PM
That's what he said.
I read anyone and stopped reading. I assumed.

Harry Callahan
02-11-2020, 04:37 PM
No stiffs please. Get a player.

SpurPadre
02-11-2020, 04:41 PM

One mock has us getting Toppin at 13th though I've seen other mocks have him going 4th. He's drawing Otto Porter comparisons.

TimDunkem
02-11-2020, 05:00 PM
No stiffs please. Get a player.

He'll be short, unathletic and have a giant forehead, and you're going to like it.

sananspursfan21
02-11-2020, 05:02 PM
One mock has us getting Toppin at 13th though I've seen other mocks have him going 4th. He's drawing Otto Porter comparisons.

He’s an exciting player and fun to watch but I doubt he’s anybody’s savior. That said, I’d love to see him come to town. Great combination of size and athleticism.

Prime BEEF
02-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Trade LMA to Cleveland for Love and their 1st Rd Pick. Think the cavs would do that.

DDR isn’t doing a sign and trade so we’re losing him and getting nothing

TDomination
02-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Yes. As shown in a post a couple above yours, two teams that won 33 games, a lot for a team in the lottery, got slots one and two last year. They've flattened the odds, and added one extra drawn team. Used to be that the lottery was only for spots 1-3, and the rest went in reverse order of records. Now, it's the first four slots, so you both have a bigger chance to score a higher pick, and more higher picks drawn for, four, versus three previously.

Thanks

I’d lol if we get 1st pick somehow. Imagine how annoyed the rest of the nba would be. Finally we miss playoffs and we get another 1st pick.

the only thing missing is a generational talent like Drob or Timmy

sasaint
02-11-2020, 06:05 PM
Trade LMA to Cleveland for Love and their 1st Rd Pick. Think the cavs would do that.

That's the trade I proposed before the deadline. :tu

sasaint
02-11-2020, 06:05 PM
Thanks

I’d lol if we get 1st pick somehow. Imagine how annoyed the rest of the nba would be. Finally we miss playoffs and we get another 1st pick.

Whoever we pick will be in Austin, unless we replace the Old Asshole.

Prime BEEF
02-11-2020, 06:21 PM
True

K...
02-11-2020, 06:21 PM

These comments are obtuse and not helpful. Lonnie would've played but he got injuries, Murray, Luka, metu are raw, and Keldon would play if we weren't stacked with guards on the main team. Kawhi didn't spend a year there. By all means, go ahead and root for the Spurs to be a Phoenix or magic type teams that struggle to convert talent to wins despite far better draft position.

Prime BEEF
02-11-2020, 06:25 PM
That's the trade I proposed before the deadline. :tu
It’s a solid trade for both teams. They get rid of his contract but don’t get a scrub return (which is what most teams I’m sure have been offering). Can now pair LMA and Drummond with their young core and they have $30m in expiring contracts to round out their roster.

we now have 2 lottery picks and an injury prone Love but he can be a complementary player to the young core.

TD 21
02-11-2020, 06:36 PM
:lmao No re-building team, slated to pick high in the lottery, is trading their pick for DeRozan and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do a sign and trade, considering the the only teams with substantial cap space are those types or glamor markets who will prioritize '21 cap space. He'd be as much a beneficiary as the Spurs going that route.

BacktoBasics
02-11-2020, 06:42 PM
There is no world where Cleveland lets go of that pick. Even to unload Love. As much as they want to move Love they’re not coughing up a potential top 4 pick to do it. There’s no rational argument for them to do that deal. The potential of a top pick is far greater than contract relief. No star or semi-star is going to sign there. They can live with that contract another year if need be. The pick is far more valuable.

3&D_TBH
02-11-2020, 07:21 PM
We will have a better idea of draft potential after March madness. It will be fun to watch the tournament with an eye towards the draft.

cd021
02-11-2020, 07:32 PM

Why would Cleveland make that trade? They'd be giving up a top 3 pick.

Two possible trades could be;

Aldridge to Miami for Olynik and their 1st round pick (They could agree to the deal before they make the pick and then wait till July 1st to complete the deal) or

Aldridge to Portland for Ariza, Hood, Collins and a 2021 lottery protected 1st round pick.

tbdog
02-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Hield in a draft day move. Would be a good fit with DD and LMA, and young going foward with White/Murray/Walker. Kings are probably a team that would sign Forbes as well.

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Seems like there are some interesting forwards at the top of this draft. Need to check some scouting reports. We need to get a long good defensive combo forward who can shoot

The Spurs had such bad picks for so long, I got in the habit of always looking for draft sleepers/bargains. Jordan Nwora - Louisville. I think he may be the best all-around forward that shoots the 3 well. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in right around the Spurs' pick.

sasaint
02-12-2020, 08:54 PM
The Spurs had such bad picks for so long, I got in the habit of always looking for draft sleepers/bargains. Jordan Nwora - Louisville. I think he may be the best all-around forward that shoots the 3 well. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in right around the Spurs' pick.

I've seen several Cardinals' games this season, and Nwora doesn't jump out at me like, say, Chuma Okeke or DeAndre Hunter last season. Maybe you are right about Nwora, though.

sasaint
02-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Hield in a draft day move. Would be a good fit with DD and LMA, and young going foward with White/Murray/Walker. Kings are probably a team that would sign Forbes as well.

So, Hield to the Spurs is only half a move. What are you proposing to send to Sactown for him?

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2020, 09:21 PM
I've seen several Cardinals' games this season, and Nwora doesn't jump out at me like, say, Chuma Okeke or DeAndre Hunter last season. Maybe you are right about Nwora, though.

Start with 3P shooting and work backwards. The boy can flat stroke the long ball. I think he's at least good enough elsewhere. And he has legitimate SF height/length. He's not flashy, but he's solid. Consistent.

Two weeks before the NCAA last year, there were still a lot of people questioning whether Okeke would go in the first round, and most were talking about Hunter going around 10. Nwora was the second Most Improved Player in the nation last year (MIP in the ACC), and he's better this year. And his biggest improvement is from the 3P line.
If he finishes the season strong, he could go higher than the Spurs pick. A 6'7" SF who shoots .440 from 3P is the kind of player every team is looking for in the New NBA.

I'm not afraid to stick my neck out before everyone else reads the headlines. I think he'll go somewhere around the Spurs pick, but not much lower. Unless he has a breakout Tournament, and then we'll be crying in our margaritas.

bluebellmaniac
02-12-2020, 09:31 PM

Why would they need to? His contract is over this year.

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2020, 09:35 PM

Here's something you might not notice if you aren't tracking him. The link below is to his game logs. Have a look at his 3P% in each game. Anything stand out to you?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jordan-nwora-1/gamelog/2020

Prime BEEF
02-12-2020, 09:37 PM
He’s a good player and a safe pick. He’ll be a great 3 and d player off the bench...6th man type guy. He’s not going to be a top 3 or 4 player for a team. But you could start him if you had 2 other great offensive players that would take the heat off him. He’s a great shooter, rebounder and defender. But he’s not going to take people off the dribble or create his own shot.

sasaint
02-12-2020, 09:39 PM
Start with 3P shooting and work backwards. The boy can flat stroke the long ball. I think he's at least good enough elsewhere. And he has legitimate SF height/length. He's not flashy, but he's solid. Consistent.

Two weeks before the NCAA last year, there were still a lot of people questioning whether Okeke would go in the first round, and most were talking about Hunter going around 10. Nwora was the second Most Improved Player in the nation last year (MIP in the ACC), and he's better this year. And his biggest improvement is from the 3P line.
If he finishes the season strong, he could go higher than the Spurs pick. A 6'7" SF who shoots .440 from 3P is the kind of player every team is looking for in the New NBA.

I'm not afraid to stick my neck out before everyone else reads the headlines. I think he'll go somewhere around the Spurs pick, but not much lower. Unless he has a breakout Tournament, and then we'll be crying in our margaritas.

I think he is a good prospect, but I want to see his combine measurements. At times he doesn't seem to play up to 6'7". That's my concern. But you're the one with the bronze neck - it's okay for you to stick it out.

Prime BEEF
02-12-2020, 09:44 PM
I think he is a good prospect, but I want to see his combine measurements. At times he doesn't seem to play up to 6'7". That's my concern. But you're the one with the bronze neck - it's okay for you to stick it out.
Both my parents went to Louisville. I went to a different college but I’ve been watching Louisville since I was little. I’ve watched a lot of his games. He plays much bigger than 6’7”. Defending, rebounding. His weakness is dribbling and creating his own shot. He’s a spot and shoot scorer and needs someone to draw the d and then kick out to him.

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2020, 09:44 PM
He’s a good player and a safe pick. He’ll be a great 3 and d player off the bench...6th man type guy. He’s not going to be a top 3 or 4 player for a team. But you could start him if you had 2 other great offensive players that would take the heat off him. He’s a great shooter, rebounder and defender. But he’s not going to take people off the dribble or create his own shot.

I think that's pretty accurate, except that I don't think he has to have two great offensive players with him, any more than most. He'd be fine in a motion offense - possibly very good. But if the Spurs are looking for a standout iso-ball forward with the 13 pick, good luck.

Both my parents went to Louisville. I went to a different college but I’ve been watching Louisville since I was little. I’ve watched a lot of his games. He plays much bigger than 6’7”. Defending, rebounding. His weakness is dribbling and creating his own shot. He’s a spot and shoot scorer and needs someone to draw the d and then kick out to him.

Yep. That's all pretty fair. Really a pretty damn good profile, unless you're looking for the next Kawhi. And even Kawhi wasn't that great off the dribble right out of college. No, I'm not saying Nwora is going to be as good as Kawhi. Just that he's looking pretty good to me for the Spurs' pick.

Edit: He pulls down 7.4 rebounds per game, which isn't bad for a 6'7" player. He goes to the FT line 4.7 times per game, which is pretty damned good for a guy who isn't supposed to have handles.

Prime BEEF
02-12-2020, 09:53 PM
I think that's pretty accurate, except that I don't think he has to have two great offensive players with him, any more than most. He'd be fine in a motion offense - possibly very good. But if the Spurs are looking for a standout iso-ball forward with the 13 pick, good luck.

Yep. That's all pretty fair. Really a pretty damn good profile, unless you're looking for the next Kawhi. And even Kawhi wasn't that great off the dribble right out of college. No, I'm not saying Nwora is going to be as good as Kawhi. Just that he's looking pretty good to me for the Spurs' pick.

With a good PG he could be a deadly 3pt shooter. His ceiling with the right environment could be Middleton

sasaint
02-12-2020, 09:54 PM
Here's something you might not notice if you aren't tracking him. The link below is to his game logs. Have a look at his 3P% in each game. Anything stand out to you?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jordan-nwora-1/gamelog/2020

Yeah, a few things. .441 on 143 attempts is good. He only shot less than .400 in 7 games, and except for the Akron and Texas Tech games his attempts in those games were below his average - which could be an indication of pretty good judgment, refraining from jacking up 3s when they aren't falling instead of trying to shoot yourself out of a bad night. What stands out to you?

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2020, 09:58 PM
Yeah, a few things. .441 on 13 attempts is good. He only shot less than .400 in 7 games, and except for the Akron and Texas Tech games his attempts in those games were below his average - which could be an indication of pretty good judgment, refraining from jacking up 3s when they aren't falling instead of trying to shoot yourself out of a bad night. What stands out to you?

The variance. He's about as consistent as you ever see from the 3P line. Most 3P shooters are a lot more streaky. They're great on the nights they're on, and on their off nights they're painful. (The good ones find other ways to contribute.) NBA coaches would kill to have a guy who shoots his average every single night. Nwora is coming closer to that than just about anyone I can remember looking at.

That doesn't mean it will translate to the NBA, but outside of guys like Zion or Ja Morant, it's always a guessing game.

I don't know if you saw my edit above, but he gets to the line almost 5 times a game, which is pretty damned good. Like I said, he's not flashy, but he gets it done.

sasaint
02-12-2020, 10:05 PM
The variance. He's about as consistent as you ever see from the 3P line. Most 3P shooters are a lot more streaky. They're great on the nights they're on, and on their off nights they're painful. (The good ones find other ways to contribute.) NBA coaches would kill to have a guy who shoots his average every single night. Nwora is coming closer to that than just about anyone I can remember looking at.

That doesn't mean it will translate to the NBA, but outside of guys like Zion or Ja Morant, it's always a guessing game.

I don't know if you saw my edit above, but he gets to the line almost 5 times a game, which is pretty damned good. Like I said, he's not flashy, but he gets it done.

Yeah, of the 7 games I noted only 2 were 0-fers. Some good consistency. And 4.7 FTs a game is gravy for a guy who is a big 3-point threat. I saw the Texas Tech, Virginia, Kentucky and Duke games. I'll try to catch some more. Such a player would definitely fill a need on the Spurs' roster.

XDT76
02-12-2020, 10:09 PM
Why would Cleveland make that trade? They'd be giving up a top 3 pick.

Two possible trades could be;

Aldridge to Miami for Olynik and their 1st round pick (They could agree to the deal before they make the pick and then wait till July 1st to complete the deal) or

Aldridge to Portland for Ariza, Hood, Collins and a 2021 lottery protected 1st round pick.

If the Portland trade will stop signing back Forbes and Beli, I am all for it.

XDT76
02-12-2020, 10:15 PM

I think the Spurs would need 1 or 2 players who do not need to have the ball in their hands most of the time (a Green type player).

cd021
02-13-2020, 03:25 AM
If the Portland trade will stop signing back Forbes and Beli, I am all for it.

I kinda feel like the concerns about PATFO re-signing them is overblown.

Beli is likely gone and I think Forbes probably is too. Walker would replace Forbes in the starting lineup and KJ taking Belinelli's role behind DDR.

tbdog
02-13-2020, 03:47 AM
Why would they need to? His contract is over this year.

Forbes? Sign and trade so they can use a mle on someone else.

RC_Drunkford
02-13-2020, 04:17 AM

Beli is likely gone and I think Forbes probably is too. Walker would replace Forbes in the starting lineup and KJ taking Belinelli's role behind DDR.

in your dreams. Pop will resign both

RC_Drunkford
02-13-2020, 04:20 AM

interesting prospect for sure. How is his defense though?

XDT76
02-13-2020, 04:27 AM

Probably you are right about Beli, but I am not too sure about Forbes

ZeusWillJudge
02-13-2020, 09:26 AM
interesting prospect for sure. How is his defense though?

He's a good defender, and Chris Mack's system has been good for him. They don't gamble a lot, and they have to be aggressive on D. He's actually got some defensive fundamentals as a result, which is rare in most college players. If you remember, a lot of the "experts" were questioning whether Thybulle's defense would work in the NBA, because he "only" played zone in college.

I started watching him because of his size and 3P shooting. He's made some BIG improvements, and you can see that it's the result of targeted work. He wasn't much of a rebounder his freshman year, but he came back the next year and was solid on the glass from the very start. I thought he was going to declare, but he came back for his junior year - and the story has been that it was because he really wanted to shore up his defense. I think he's done a good job of that, too. The defense doesn't show up much on a stat sheet, so most people want to overlook it, but he's solid and steady.

Google some interviews of him. He's smart and he's confident. He's got a little bit of an attitude, which wouldn't be bad for this team at all. (I saw him get a chase-down block against Pitt, and then stare the guy down on the way up the court, just to let him know who's boss. Pop might bench him for it, but I loved it.) I don't want to sound like a lot of the mindless drones on this site, but I really do worry whether Pop will see it as a negative. But as of right now, he's the guy I want to see the Spurs pick. There are a few guys we know are going higher than the Spurs will pick. He won't be one of those. I think he's a good fit here (assuming Pop is still Pop somewhere in there), and I think he'll be available when they get to pick.

All that being said, Louisville just got their asses kicked by Georgia Tech, and a big part of their game plan was to shut down Nwora. He played good defense, IMO, but they held him to just 2 points. It was a well-executed game plan by GA Tech, and the other starters didn't do much to make up the difference. I'm really anxious to see how he bounces back next game.

exstatic
02-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Thanks

Wiseman could be, but not immediately like 4 year collegians DRob and TD. He's not quite 19 yet, and is averaging 30.8p/15.7r/4.7bl per36 for D1 Memphis.

pad300
02-13-2020, 01:06 PM

His variance looks good, but what actually stuck out to me was that his bad nights appear to happen against "name" opposition at the college level. 7 games where he was < .400 : Youngstown State, Miami (OH), Kentucky, Texas Tech, Duke, NC State, Georgia Tech. All of those teams (bar Youngstown), are big dance regulars... Can he shoot with NBA level defenders/pressure?

DPG21920
02-13-2020, 02:49 PM

I love your optimism. I really do. But if that is the case, why is Bryn still starting and Beli not bought out? There is every single reason for that to happen yet? Nope.

Dejounte
02-13-2020, 02:54 PM
I love your optimism. I really do. But if that is the case, why is Bryn still starting and Beli not bought out? There is every single reason for that to happen yet? Nope.

To increase their value? Think outside the box, man.

ZeusWillJudge
02-13-2020, 03:31 PM
His variance looks good, but what actually stuck out to me was that his bad nights appear to happen against "name" opposition at the college level. 7 games where he was < .400 : Youngstown State, Miami (OH), Kentucky, Texas Tech, Duke, NC State, Georgia Tech. All of those teams (bar Youngstown), are big dance regulars... Can he shoot with NBA level defenders/pressure?

I think you're really trying to talk hoops, so I'm really going to try to say this without sounding like a smartass:

Personally, I think people read too many internet "scouting reports". Those guys love to say things like that, without considering what it really means. Is Nwora going to be capable of going right at the heart of a defense when their priority is specifically to stop him? No. Anybody who can do that isn't going to get drafted with the 13th pick. Hell, there aren't many NBA players who can do that, and all of them will be playing this weekend while the other 400+ NBA players watch on TV. He's not going to walk in and be the first option in the NBA like Zion. I think he'll be fine as part of an NBA team.

Look at some of those "off" games you listed, and he had lines with like 14 points and 9 boards. Duke has only lost 3 games so far, and one of them was Louisville. They made a point of stopping Nwora, but it probably cost them the game. The only real surprise for me was that last game against GA Tech. Their next game is against Clemson on the road. If he doesn't have a strong bounce-back game, maybe I'll start having some doubts. But I don't expect that to happen.

cd021
02-13-2020, 06:38 PM

Pop may not feel that Walker is ready to start yet. Beli likely will be brought out, the deadline hasn't happened yet. Normally, year 3 is when a Spurs 1st rounder becomes fully integrated in the rotation. I find it hard to believe that they'd re-sign Forbes to a multi-year deal when he's blocking Walker. Even for PATFO that doesn't make sense.

Walker will likely start next season and KJ will likely take Walker's former role.

ZeusWillJudge
02-13-2020, 07:26 PM
Normally, year 3 is when a Spurs 1st rounder becomes fully integrated in the rotation. I find it hard to believe that they'd re-sign Forbes to a multi-year deal when he's blocking Walker. Even for PATFO that doesn't make sense.

What in the bloody hell are you talking about?

I know you're not talking about Tim, Manu, or Tony.
Beno played 80 games as a rookie, and that's as "fully integrated" as he ever got.
Ian Mahinmi was hurt a lot, and never got fully integrated.
George Hill started his most games (here) in his second year. By necessity, but he was pretty much part of things from Year 1.
DeJuan Blair started his most games (here) in his second year.
Cory Joeph was just about as "fully integrated" in his second year as he ever got here.
And that brings us up all the way to Derrick White.
So that pretty much leaves Tiago as the only player to match your claim, and that was also mostly about injuries.

I'm not going to debate you. Anyone who wants to can have a look for themselves. Click and see which first round picks did what. Unless you try to play some dumb semantic tricks with "fully integrated", it's just not true. https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/draft.html

DPG21920
02-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Pop may not feel that Walker is ready to start yet. Beli likely will be brought out, the deadline hasn't happened yet. Normally, year 3 is when a Spurs 1st rounder becomes fully integrated in the rotation. I find it hard to believe that they'd re-sign Forbes to a multi-year deal when he's blocking Walker. Even for PATFO that doesn't make sense.

Walker will likely start next season and KJ will likely take Walker's former role.

But Bryn is ready to start?? White can start instead of him too. Mills could too. Plenty of options. We can’t just bail Pop out and not read the Forrest for the trees IMO

SpurPadre
02-13-2020, 08:32 PM
I think you're really trying to talk hoops, so I'm really going to try to say this without sounding like a smartass:

Personally, I think people read too many internet "scouting reports". Those guys love to say things like that, without considering what it really means. Is Nwora going to be capable of going right at the heart of a defense when their priority is specifically to stop him? No. Anybody who can do that isn't going to get drafted with the 13th pick. Hell, there aren't many NBA players who can do that, and all of them will be playing this weekend while the other 400+ NBA players watch on TV. He's not going to walk in and be the first option in the NBA like Zion. I think he'll be fine as part of an NBA team.

Look at some of those "off" games you listed, and he had lines with like 14 points and 9 boards. Duke has only lost 3 games so far, and one of them was Louisville. They made a point of stopping Nwora, but it probably cost them the game. The only real surprise for me was that last game against GA Tech. Their next game is against Clemson on the road. If he doesn't have a strong bounce-back game, maybe I'll start having some doubts. But I don't expect that to happen.

As much of a piece of shit faggot that he is, Leonard was the 16th pick so I don't think we should get in the habit of branding the ceiling of a player in the 13th pick. You can say that you're referring to how a player is currently doing but teams also draft based on where they see a player down the road, not necessarily instant gratification.

DPG21920
02-13-2020, 08:40 PM
And I think it was Morey who said it (ironic because he doesn’t draft lol) but there are always a couple really good players in every draft. With weak drafts often times it’s just harder to identify.

That might work to SA advantage this draft. With their being no consensus if they laser in they very well may have someone fall that they like but got lost in the “they are all meh or equal” shuffle.

SpursBig3s
02-13-2020, 09:13 PM

I actually went to Dayton for undergrad so I follow the team closely. Toppin is an elite athlete, far more athletic than Porter. He’s also a little bigger than Porter, but similar body types. I would say right now Porter is a better defender and a better feel for the game but stopping could grow into that role as a stretch 4. He can shoot it better than you think, and he’s actually a better than average passer. His defense, while not terrible, needs improvement and he’s not as strong on the glass as you would like

ZeusWillJudge
02-13-2020, 09:40 PM
As much of a piece of shit faggot that he is, Leonard was the 16th pick so I don't think we should get in the habit of branding the ceiling of a player in the 13th pick. You can say that you're referring to how a player is currently doing but teams also draft based on where they see a player down the road, not necessarily instant gratification.

You might want to read the whole discussion before jumping in on some detour line of thought. The question was whether Jordan Nwora will be able to shoot against NBA defenses - based on the fact that he's had some meh games against the better college teams. Got it so far?

Those college teams he was talking about made it a priority to shut him down and force the rest of the team to beat them. That same thing happens in the NBA, and not many players can break down a defense when that happens. Zion is doing a pretty damn good job of it, but EVERYONE knew who he was ahead of the draft. My only point was that Nwora isn't one of those players, and that's why he will be available when the Spurs pick. You may not remember what Kawhi was like his rookie year, but I do. He was good, but he wasn't a guy who could get his shot no matter what the defense did - and that's what the other guy was asking about Nwora. When you pick that late, you have to look for a diamond on the rough, because the obvious picks are already off the board.

So back to the discussion already in progress: No, Nwora isn't going to be like Zion. But he checks pretty much all the boxes for what the Spurs need, and he should be on the board when they get their pick. The Spurs aren't going to get an OBVIOUS game-changer at 13. They're just not. Kawhi wasn't obvious at the time he was drafted.

SpurPadre
02-13-2020, 10:26 PM
You might want to read the whole discussion before jumping in on some detour line of thought. The question was whether Jordan Nwora will be able to shoot against NBA defenses - based on the fact that he's had some meh games against the better college teams. Got it so far?

Those college teams he was talking about made it a priority to shut him down and force the rest of the team to beat them. That same thing happens in the NBA, and not many players can break down a defense when that happens. Zion is doing a pretty damn good job of it, but EVERYONE knew who he was ahead of the draft. My only point was that Nwora isn't one of those players, and that's why he will be available when the Spurs pick. You may not remember what Kawhi was like his rookie year, but I do. He was good, but he wasn't a guy who could get his shot no matter what the defense did - and that's what the other guy was asking about Nwora. When you pick that late, you have to look for a diamond on the rough, because the obvious picks are already off the board.

So back to the discussion already in progress: No, Nwora isn't going to be like Zion. But he checks pretty much all the boxes for what the Spurs need, and he should be on the board when they get their pick. The Spurs aren't going to get an OBVIOUS game-changer at 13. They're just not. Kawhi wasn't obvious at the time he was drafted.

I know what you're saying now. I'm just saying, how you claim that Nwora is not going to be like Zion, ok fine. I'm just saying it's way too early to pass judgment on who will be the better player but again, I know that's not really your point. I still think it needs to be said. No one thought Leonard would be as good as Kyrie Irving who was the #1 pick in 2011. But again, I get your point.

cd021
02-14-2020, 01:04 AM
What in the bloody hell are you talking about?

I know you're not talking about Tim, Manu, or Tony.
Beno played 80 games as a rookie, and that's as "fully integrated" as he ever got.
Ian Mahinmi was hurt a lot, and never got fully integrated.
George Hill started his most games (here) in his second year. By necessity, but he was pretty much part of things from Year 1.
DeJuan Blair started his most games (here) in his second year.
Cory Joeph was just about as "fully integrated" in his second year as he ever got here.
And that brings us up all the way to Derrick White.
So that pretty much leaves Tiago as the only player to match your claim, and that was also mostly about injuries.

I'm not going to debate you. Anyone who wants to can have a look for themselves. Click and see which first round picks did what. Unless you try to play some dumb semantic tricks with "fully integrated", it's just not true. https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/draft.html

I meant by year 3, not year 3. It depends largely on position though. Kawhi was a rotation player and later a starter as a rookie because the Spurs were so thin on the wing.

CoJo never really got integrated because of Parker and then Mills leapfrogged him. Slow-mo was a rotation player after his rookie season because they didn't have a backup 3.

With Forbes and Marco free agents, PATFO may decide to let both walk and start Walker.

CGD
02-14-2020, 07:35 AM
Get the Israeli kid

Brazil
02-14-2020, 02:13 PM

and then....

like that time we traded for Pacers #15 draft pick ?

Spurs Homer
02-14-2020, 02:17 PM
like that time we traded for Pacers #15 draft pick ?

actually - no - that one was worse!

it ended up ending the spurs title era when the ungrateful piece of shit traitor betrayed the spurs franchise and malingered his way out of town after stealing 18 million dollars!

Brazil
02-14-2020, 02:21 PM
Knowing the Spurs, we all should be excited with a top 15 pick. Draft seems crap but would not be the first time PATFO find a diamond in a pile of shit tbh..

Brazil
02-14-2020, 02:28 PM
actually - no - that one was worse!

it ended up ending the spurs title era when the ungrateful piece of shit traitor betrayed the spurs franchise and malingered his way out of town after stealing 18 million dollars!

:lol he is a pos for sure but still he helped us got a ring dat was worth it bro especially for a #15 pick

Dex
02-14-2020, 03:02 PM
And I think it was Morey who said it (ironic because he doesn’t draft lol) but there are always a couple really good players in every draft. With weak drafts often times it’s just harder to identify.

That might work to SA advantage this draft. With their being no consensus if they laser in they very well may have someone fall that they like but got lost in the “they are all meh or equal” shuffle.

Yeah, I don't get people acting like there will be absolutely no talent in this upcoming traft.

Sure, they may not be any sure-fire hits like a Duncan, Lebron, or (maybe) Zion...but there's bound to be some good players available in the top 15.

Spurs Homer
02-14-2020, 03:07 PM
:lol he is a pos for sure but still he helped us got a ring dat was worth it bro especially for a #15 pick

nah -

manu,timmy, tony led the way - and even though they were generous enough to give the traitor his lane -

he was not a dominant force that year and he was gently carried by the hall of famers and pop -

Brazil
02-14-2020, 03:27 PM
nah -

manu,timmy, tony led the way - and even though they were generous enough to give the traitor his lane -

he was not a dominant force that year and he was gently carried by the hall of famers and pop -

:lol u smocking' mate.. he contributed fully to that title for as much as I hate this clown.. he was no random role player..

SpurPadre
02-14-2020, 04:11 PM
:lol u smocking' mate.. he contributed fully to that title for as much as I hate this clown.. he was no random role player..

He also contributed to the collective chokejob to end all chokejobs in Game 6 that POS. I prefer to remember that faggot that way and that we would've won our last title without his bitch ass...of course, that is denial. I just hate him that much.

Spurs Homer
02-14-2020, 04:26 PM

yeah- maybe you are right-

but I REFUSE to give the traitor credit!

lol

spurspl
02-14-2020, 05:43 PM
spurs end up with another guard who cannot shot 3s, will be send to g league for 2 yrs and be back with no progression.

Brazil
02-14-2020, 07:02 PM
He also contributed to the collective chokejob to end all chokejobs in Game 6 that POS. I prefer to remember that faggot that way and that we would've won our last title without his bitch ass...of course, that is denial. I just hate him that much.

yeah- maybe you are right-

but I REFUSE to give the traitor credit!

lol

:lol that’s my boys

spurs50_
02-14-2020, 10:48 PM
Saw the latest rookie rankings, not impressed ..Get those rankings with Popovich as your head coach and that would be impressive.

ZeusWillJudge
02-20-2020, 03:39 PM
I know what you're saying now. I'm just saying, how you claim that Nwora is not going to be like Zion, ok fine. I'm just saying it's way too early to pass judgment on who will be the better player but again, I know that's not really your point. I still think it needs to be said. No one thought Leonard would be as good as Kyrie Irving who was the #1 pick in 2011. But again, I get your point.

Right after I started posting about Nwora, Louisville (and Nwora) had two bad games in a row. There were all sorts of dire predictions about the team, and a couple of internet pundits said that Nwora's draft stock had fallen out of the first round. I'm sort of surprised nobody busted my balls over it. Last night Louisville curb-stomped Syracuse and Nwora led the team with 17 points, plus 7 boards and 3 assists.

Look, Nwora is a different type of player than Kawhi was. I think he will be a solid pick around the slot where the Spurs should be picking. Maybe a bargain. But I don't see anything other than his 3P shooting that leaps out at you. He's a solid defender. He's good enough off the dribble. He rebounds well enough to justify playing the 3. And he's a heads-up player who has shown steady year-on-year improvement. And he can stroke the 3-ball. When you're picking around the middle, give or take, that's about all you can hope for.

What's funny is that there are a bunch of people arguing that you can't build through the draft, because you can't count on getting anyone great even at the top. I'm talking about a guy with (I think) a fairly high floor and reasonable upside, and people are arguing about that, too. I wish the Spurs had just tanked and gotten a pick at #7 or better. But they didn't, and the supertankers in the East alone are going to keep them from drafting that high. I still think Nwora should be high on the Spurs list this offseason.

Dejounte
02-20-2020, 03:50 PM
I like Tyler Bey if we make a second pick

SpursDynasty85
02-20-2020, 06:51 PM
we are already at 13th. Might as well try and get in the top 8 if we can. Play some of the young guys. Sad to say but this year has been such a disaster so far. Would love to see what the front office can do with a 7th pick.

Prime BEEF
02-20-2020, 08:55 PM
I like Tyler Bey if we make a second pick
Agreed. He’s exactly what we are missing at SF

ZeusWillJudge
02-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Agreed. He’s exactly what we are missing at SF

Except that he doesn't shoot 3's hardly ever. I guess he shoots more than DDR, but with the way the game has to be played now I just don't see how the Spurs can invest in someone that isn't a prolific 3P shooter.

Prime BEEF
02-20-2020, 10:02 PM
Except that he doesn't shoot 3's hardly ever. I guess he shoots more than DDR, but with the way the game has to be played now I just don't see how the Spurs can invest in someone that isn't a prolific 3P shooter.
He is a good 3pt shooter. But that’s not how he’s utilized in the CU offense. He will do well in the nba. He is the best defender in the draft IMO and can guard multiple positions.

but none of that matters as the FO will pick a euro

ismael-robert
02-21-2020, 12:48 AM
N we have somebody named Chip

Dejounte
02-21-2020, 09:25 AM

We dont need anymore 3 pt shooting. This is a myth. What we lack is defense. Something to stop the other team from coming back from 20 points in the 3rd qtr. I would rather our team go cold on offense while stopping the other team than having a 3 pt shootout with them.

Dejounte
02-21-2020, 09:28 AM
Dejounte/ White
Lonnie/ Quinndary
Keldon/ Bey
Samanic/ Metu
Poetl/ Aldridge

exstatic
02-21-2020, 10:15 AM
He is a good 3pt shooter. But that’s not how he’s utilized in the CU offense. He will do well in the nba. He is the best defender in the draft IMO and can guard multiple positions.

but none of that matters as the FO will pick a euro

2019 KJ and Samanic
2018 LW IV
2017 Derrick
2016 DJ

One time in the last 5 first round picks.

ZeusWillJudge
02-21-2020, 11:50 AM
We dont need anymore 3 pt shooting. This is a myth. What we lack is defense. Something to stop the other team from coming back from 20 points in the 3rd qtr. I would rather our team go cold on offense while stopping the other team than having a 3 pt shootout with them.

I know what you're saying, and I wish it was the whole truth. The league won't allow defense to be played like it once was. It's not an official rule change, but they issued directions to the refs for how to call the game. You're 100% right that the Spurs have to get better on defense. But the Spurs are 29th in 3-pointers attempted, and almost a quarter of their 3PA come from Bryn Forbes. If they're going to get Forbes off the floor they HAVE to have someone to replace his 3P shooting.

You do want Forbes off the floor, don't you?

ZeusWillJudge
02-21-2020, 02:30 PM

Bey is a good defender, but I don't think he's the best defender in college ball. I know a couple of articles have talked about him for the Naismith, so that's probably where that came from. But since both of you are interested in defensive players, you should tune in to the Baylor-Kansas game tomorrow. It's on ESPN at 11:00 Central. Baylor has the #2 defense in the nation, and Kansas has the #3 defense. There are some very good players on both teams, and obviously some good defensive players. Watching them beats the hell out of reading internet analysts.

Prime BEEF
02-21-2020, 04:00 PM
Bey is a good defender, but I don't think he's the best defender in college ball. I know a couple of articles have talked about him for the Naismith, so that's probably where that came from. But since both of you are interested in defensive players, you should tune in to the Baylor-Kansas game tomorrow. It's on ESPN at 11:00 Central. Baylor has the #2 defense in the nation, and Kansas has the #3 defense. There are some very good players on both teams, and obviously some good defensive players. Watching them beats the hell out of reading internet analysts.
Love college ball. Watch way more college ball than nba. Ive watched quite a few CU games, as well as big 12, ACC, and others. That was my opinion. I mostly watch big 12 and ACC though.

anyways, I didn’t read that article. He’s an outstanding defender...but he does have an issue with turnovers.

Prime BEEF
02-21-2020, 04:04 PM
2019 KJ and Samanic
2018 LW IV
2017 Derrick
2016 DJ

One time in the last 5 first round picks.
Well shit that settles it. We clearly aren’t picking Avdija, Maledon, or Pokusevski then.

exstatic
02-21-2020, 04:15 PM
Well shit that settles it. We clearly aren’t picking Avdija, Maledon, or Pokusevski then.

Mannion is a far worse choice than any of them at 6'3" with a 6'2.5" wingspan. He couldn't even hit a pinata, blindfolded, before it rebounded out of reach, even if it hit him in the head.

Let's maybe dial back the Euro hysteria just a bit.

Prime BEEF
02-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Mannion is a far worse choice than any of them at 6'3" with a 6'2.5" wingspan. He couldn't even hit a pinata, blindfolded, before it rebounded out of reach, even if it hit him in the head.

Let's maybe dial back the Euro hysteria just a bit.
I agree. I don’t like Mannion either.

exstatic
02-21-2020, 04:22 PM
I agree. I don’t like Mannion either.

A worse shooting Forbes, with better handles and a tan.

wildbill2u
02-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Personally I like to leave the draft decisions to guys who get paid to do it. Then, after the picks are in I can complain about some player we overlooked who is a sure bet for NBA stardom Who Pop ignored out of sheer perversity. That way I don't have to watch any games ahead of the draft or make any picks that can come back to haunt me on ST.

:eyebrowsBut With never failing HINDSIGHT I can put myself forth as a BB expert.

The work is easy and I'm always right.

Prime BEEF
02-21-2020, 05:07 PM
A worse shooting Forbes, with better handles and a tan.
He gets a ton of love by some. Yes, He’s a decent college player but not one I’d want to select in the draft. Especially not for a team like the spurs who need defense.

exstatic
02-21-2020, 06:17 PM
He gets a ton of love by some. Yes, He’s a decent college player but not one I’d want to select in the draft. Especially not for a team like the spurs who need defense.

Tankathon has him at #13 on their big board, and #10 in their mock draft. What the actual fuck? I'm not sure I'd want AUSTIN to select him in the gleague draft.

Prime BEEF
02-21-2020, 06:57 PM
Tankathon has him at #13 on their big board, and #10 in their mock draft. What the actual fuck? I'm not sure I'd want AUSTIN to select him in the gleague draft.
I’m not sure I understand how tankathon does their picks. They have quite a few head scratchers.

ZeusWillJudge
02-21-2020, 09:06 PM
Love college ball. Watch way more college ball than nba. Ive watched quite a few CU games, as well as big 12, ACC, and others. That was my opinion. I mostly watch big 12 and ACC though.

anyways, I didn’t read that article. He’s an outstanding defender...but he does have an issue with turnovers.

My fault for assuming. Lots of people try to be experts from reading articles and box scores. You've watched him play, and you think he's the best defender in college ball - I respect an informed opinion.

You saw what I said earlier about him not shooting nearly enough 3's. My single biggest obsession about this Spurs team is putting Bryn Forbes in the rear view mirror. I guess most of what I think revolves around that. And it's not going to happen unless someone comes along who can and will put up a solid volume of 3's, and make a respectable percentage. When I've watched Bey, he looked to me like he won't take a 3P shot unless he just has to. If he was putting up 3-4 a game, I would probably have him a lot higher.

Did I mention that I really, really want Forbes off the floor? :lol

I'm excited about that Baylor-Kansas game tomorrow. I think there are going to be several guys on the court whose draft stock is going to soar between now and the end of the NCAA. Even if a lot of them are guards, every player that moves up in the draft order has a chance of pushing a good player down to the Spurs' pick.

ZeusWillJudge
02-21-2020, 09:16 PM
Personally I like to leave the draft decisions to guys who get paid to do it. Then, after the picks are in I can complain about some player we overlooked who is a sure bet for NBA stardom Who Pop ignored out of sheer perversity. That way I don't have to watch any games ahead of the draft or make any picks that can come back to haunt me on ST.

:eyebrowsBut With never failing HINDSIGHT I can put myself forth as a BB expert.

The work is easy and I'm always right.

LOL. Oh, I always leave the actual draft decisions to the Spurs' FO. I mean, sure they call to ask my opinion and all. But after the ASB I always just let it go to voice mail.

Prime BEEF
02-22-2020, 01:06 AM
My fault for assuming. Lots of people try to be experts from reading articles and box scores. You've watched him play, and you think he's the best defender in college ball - I respect an informed opinion.

You saw what I said earlier about him not shooting nearly enough 3's. My single biggest obsession about this Spurs team is putting Bryn Forbes in the rear view mirror. I guess most of what I think revolves around that. And it's not going to happen unless someone comes along who can and will put up a solid volume of 3's, and make a respectable percentage. When I've watched Bey, he looked to me like he won't take a 3P shot unless he just has to. If he was putting up 3-4 a game, I would probably have him a lot higher.

Did I mention that I really, really want Forbes off the floor? :lol

I'm excited about that Baylor-Kansas game tomorrow. I think there are going to be several guys on the court whose draft stock is going to soar between now and the end of the NCAA. Even if a lot of them are guards, every player that moves up in the draft order has a chance of pushing a good player down to the Spurs' pick.
It will be a great game to watch. That’s for sure

Biggems
02-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Not sure what mom was thinking on that one :lol

That's why black boys have to grow up and toughen up a lot faster cause ignorant ass, illiterate black moms name their sons all kinds of fucked up stripper names and shit with j, z, q, and apostrophes everywhere...when did john, stephen, james, christopher, anthony, william and henry turn to shit....those are great boy names for every generation......these poor black boys get previous, j'daczryka, shaquandre, z'ajariziah, and shit like that. No wonder 8 year olds are ot there thuggin to survive.....I knw white people can really use some pretentious, hoity toity names, but those things are centuries old and usually have a lot of family history behind them, like Alistair, Bartholomew, Reginald, etc. Very uppity indeed, but still normal names. This is another reason why we need the presence of strong black fathers, so we don't get some boy with a bitch ass name like precious.

Prime BEEF
02-22-2020, 01:48 PM
ZeusWillJudge Azubuike playing well. Still can’t hit free throws but would be a good pickup if available in 2nd Rd

Thomas82
02-25-2020, 09:31 AM
I see we're at 12 now.

Realdeal1
02-25-2020, 10:19 AM
Fuk it ... let’s aim for a top 10 pick

Trill Clinton
02-25-2020, 10:57 AM
That's why black boys have to grow up and toughen up a lot faster cause ignorant ass, illiterate black moms name their sons all kinds of fucked up stripper names and shit with j, z, q, and apostrophes everywhere...when did john, stephen, james, christopher, anthony, william and henry turn to shit....those are great boy names for every generation......these poor black boys get previous, j'daczryka, shaquandre, z'ajariziah, and shit like that. No wonder 8 year olds are ot there thuggin to survive.....I knw white people can really use some pretentious, hoity toity names, but those things are centuries old and usually have a lot of family history behind them, like Alistair, Bartholomew, Reginald, etc. Very uppity indeed, but still normal names. This is another reason why we need the presence of strong black fathers, so we don't get some boy with a bitch ass name like precious.

Get it off your chest

TimDunkem
02-25-2020, 11:02 AM

Maybe if white people didn't destroy their names and culture they wouldn't have had to make them up.

cd021
02-25-2020, 11:53 AM
Projected to finish in a tie for 10th with the Suns per 538

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

BackHome
02-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Anything bellow 13 and I’ll be a happy camper.

Biggems
02-25-2020, 02:30 PM
Maybe if white people didn't destroy their names and culture they wouldn't have had to make them up.

Please elaborate

Kobe'sAchilles
02-25-2020, 02:38 PM
I don't see how we get any better than the 11th pick tbh and that's being generous. We need WSH and CHI to go on some sort of winning streak while we continue our losing streak. But CHI is 2-8 in their last 10 so I don't see that happening. Good news (for team tank) is that the Kings/Suns should pass us very soon dropping us to 13th in the West. But the East is so shitty there's almost no way for us to tank into the Top 10

Prime BEEF
02-25-2020, 04:14 PM
I don't see how we get any better than the 11th pick tbh and that's being generous. We need WSH and CHI to go on some sort of winning streak while we continue our losing streak. But CHI is 2-8 in their last 10 so I don't see that happening. Good news (for team tank) is that the Kings/Suns should pass us very soon dropping us to 13th in the West. But the East is so shitty there's almost no way for us to tank into the Top 10
We are listed as the 12th pick right now. If the suns and kings pass us we’d be 10th. So you could be 10th and if the lotto balls sort of go our way we could move up a little.

exstatic
02-25-2020, 04:20 PM
We are listed as the 12th pick right now. If the suns and kings pass us we’d be 10th. So you could be 10th and if the lotto balls sort of go our way we could move up a little.

You can't "move up a little". You either get drawn into the top 4, or you get ranked in order after that. The good news is that with the flatter odds, 3 teams jumped into the top 4 last year.

Prime BEEF
02-25-2020, 04:39 PM
You can't "move up a little". You either get drawn into the top 4, or you get ranked in order after that. The good news is that with the flatter odds, 3 teams jumped into the top 4 last year.
Sorry. Forgot about the new rules.

Chinook
02-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Sorry. Forgot about the new rules.

That aspect of the lottery isn't new. The odds are different, and now there are drawings for four picks, but as far as I know, it's never been a thing that you can move up from 10 to seven. Of course, you could totally argue that jumping up six spots isn't very much in this draft.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-25-2020, 04:56 PM
Lol yeah my math sucks. I said Top 10, but since I can't count I was wrong and meant getting the 9th pick for that 20% chance of getting a Top 4 pick. MINN, GS are waay worse than us while 7 other teams in the East have worse records than us by quite a bit. Our best hope is WSH, but even then chances are slim. I'm just hoping that Curry actually does come back and play out the rest of the year for GS so we can put Forbes on him and lose.

slick'81
02-25-2020, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately, spurs need to go on a losing streak or that top 10 is outta reach

TD 21
02-27-2020, 06:07 PM
Prediction: If the pick ends up the way it's trending, which is 10-12 and Avdija is available around 5 or 6, the Spurs look to package White with their pick to move up.

He'll be 26 this off season, his lack of confidence will always hold him back to some extent and his jack of all trades, master of none type game is better suited on a good team. By the time that can be said about this one again, he'll probably be around of over 30.

Murray-White-Walker is not nearly dynamic enough offensively or big enough to work long term as a starting 1-3, so considering they've already committed to Murray and Walker has the highest ceiling, it becomes process of elimination.

BackHome
02-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Yeah I am not trading unless that player would be a very good defender and is able to hit the 3 ball and is able to dribble and have a decent first step.

Thomas82
02-28-2020, 08:35 PM
I'm holding out hope that we can hit the jackpot this year for the 3rd time.

lmbebo
02-28-2020, 09:23 PM
I'm holding out hope that we can hit the jackpot this year for the 3rd time. No general talent this draft it seems. Not sure #1 pick gets us a franchise turning player.

exstatic
02-28-2020, 09:52 PM
Prediction: If the pick ends up the way it's trending, which is 10-12 and Avdija is available around 5 or 6, the Spurs look to package White with their pick to move up.

He'll be 26 this off season, his lack of confidence will always hold him back to some extent and his jack of all trades, master of none type game is better suited on a good team. By the time that can be said about this one again, he'll probably be around of over 30.

Murray-White-Walker is not nearly dynamic enough offensively or big enough to work long term as a starting 1-3, so considering they've already committed to Murray and Walker has the highest ceiling, it becomes process of elimination.

:lol. White is the only player who can operate deep in the paint, get to the FT line, defend, and hit the 3 pointer. His issues are with DeRozan dominating the ball.

ducks
02-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Spurs make playoffs despit pop

ducks
02-28-2020, 10:23 PM
Tom Orsborn Tom_orsborn
·
Feb 26
Pop shoulders some of the blame for this one: "I think the game plan I came out with was poor, and they took advantage of it in the first quarter." #Spursf

RC_Drunkford
02-28-2020, 11:23 PM

don't forget Bryn Forbes who will start for the next 4 seasons at SG which means White will be nothing more than a bench player

tim_duncan_fan
02-29-2020, 03:34 AM
:lol. White is the only player who can operate deep in the paint, get to the FT line, defend, and hit the 3 pointer. His issues are with DeRozan dominating the ball.

Derrick's only problem is his sub-optimal personality. He doesn't attack.

Take DeRozan and LaMarcus out of the game for a month and dude still probably wouldn't average more than 9 points per game. It's all in his head. The physical tools and opportunities are there. He's just mentally weak.

He should be my favorite player on the team but I kinda hate him because he doesn't try to be as great as he can be. It's annoying as all goddamned hell.

Thomas82
02-29-2020, 04:08 AM
No general talent this draft it seems. Not sure #1 pick gets us a franchise turning player.

If not this year, next year's draft will be better.

cd021
02-29-2020, 05:24 PM

I could absolutely see that happening tbh. That or White gets traded for another lottery pick, altogether.

look_at_g_shred
02-29-2020, 06:07 PM

Cue the pic of Pop shaking Avdija’s hand a few years ago

TD 21
03-05-2020, 05:11 PM
I could absolutely see that happening tbh. That or White gets traded for another lottery pick, altogether.

Yeah, there's seemingly a good chance the consensus best prospect(s) available in their range ends up being a PG and the last thing they should be doing is reaching for something else under the guise of having any position covered.

If that ends up not being the case, I'd still be open to moving White for a pick either in this draft or preferably the following one. Another option is packaging him with one of the "mid 3" to improve the return.

exstatic
03-06-2020, 03:12 PM
Yeah, there's seemingly a good chance the consensus best prospect(s) available in their range ends up being a PG and the last thing they should be doing is reaching for something else under the guise of having any position covered.

If that ends up not being the case, I'd still be open to moving White for a pick either in this draft or preferably the following one. Another option is packaging him with one of the "mid 3" to improve the return.

Actually, that would be the opposite of what would happen. A team would consider salary relief to be the "return" and not offer much of anything else.

Your best return would be to offer one of the young players, alone. They're all cheap, except DJ, and some of them still have upside.

TD 21
03-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Actually, that would be the opposite of what would happen. A team would consider salary relief to be the "return" and not offer much of anything else.

Your best return would be to offer one of the young players, alone. They're all cheap, except DJ, and some of them still have upside.

I don't know what you're talking about, but adding White to one of them would definitely add appeal to an opposing team, who'd be more likely to capitulate to giving up an asset they're on the fence with.

exstatic
03-06-2020, 05:50 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, but adding White to one of them would definitely add appeal to an opposing team, who'd be more likely to capitulate to giving up an asset they're on the fence with.

You were first talking about trading White for an asset. Then, you mentioned adding one of the players that most want to get rid (mid 3) of to improve the return. I simply pointed out that adding one of those 3 players will NOT improve the return when coupled to a young player like White. Not many teams are going to be interested in those 3 players at all, let alone bump up the value of the return on a trade that includes them as essentially a throw in.

TD 21
03-07-2020, 07:59 PM
You were first talking about trading White for an asset. Then, you mentioned adding one of the players that most want to get rid (mid 3) of to improve the return. I simply pointed out that adding one of those 3 players will NOT improve the return when coupled to a young player like White. Not many teams are going to be interested in those 3 players at all, let alone bump up the value of the return on a trade that includes them as essentially a throw in.

Unsurprisingly, you failed to comprehend what I said. I meant shop them initially, then add him to one if necessary to sweeten the deal. That could be the difference between getting a C asset(s) or a B one.

KobesAchilles
03-08-2020, 12:18 AM
I predict the Spurs to finish at 32-50. I think that’s good enough for the 12th spot in the West. That puts us at what, the 11th pick? How strong is the draft on SF this year? Any long athletes out there who can’t shoot or dribble but have potential if given time?

Prime BEEF
03-08-2020, 12:34 AM
I predict the Spurs to finish at 32-50. I think that’s good enough for the 12th spot in the West. That puts us at what, the 11th pick? How strong is the draft on SF this year? Any long athletes out there who can’t shoot or dribble but have potential if given time?
Not very many good SFs. To a of PGs and post players though

TheGoatishere
03-08-2020, 12:50 AM

Jaden McDaniels 6’10 wing https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaden-mcdaniels/

very raw but has Potential

slick'81
03-08-2020, 12:54 AM
Damn those back2back winsvs hornets&magic

Dejounte
03-08-2020, 11:39 AM
White is the most true Spur we have had since...Duncan. They are not trading him away. Dejounte will go first before White. In fact, i would trade Lonnie before DJ and White. Lonnie has that Dwight Howard personality type going on that I dont trust will help this team truly win. White has the best fundamentals as a guard. You dont let that go.

DPG21920
03-08-2020, 10:39 PM
White is the most true Spur we have had since...Duncan. They are not trading him away. Dejounte will go first before White. In fact, i would trade Lonnie before DJ and White. Lonnie has that Dwight Howard personality type going on that I dont trust will help this team truly win. White has the best fundamentals as a guard. You dont let that go.

Dwight took a team to the finals as the main guy

cd021
03-08-2020, 11:12 PM
At this rate, we'll pass Phoenix and be in the bottom 10 easily.

sasaint
03-09-2020, 12:14 AM
At this rate, we'll pass Phoenix and be in the bottom 10 easily.

:tu

slick'81
03-09-2020, 12:18 AM
We are currently 11th overall. Just need to keep losing to get 9/10th at best tbh

sasaint
03-09-2020, 12:26 AM
Not very many good SFs. To a of PGs and post players though

That suggests to me that you move LMA for a decent SF, keep Poodle, and draft a post player. Oh, and move Dumbmar for anything - but a 2nd round pick and combo forward that is either unproven or a reclamation project. Move Bryn for anything, and punt on Rudy and Marco.

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2020, 08:26 AM
We are currently 11th overall. Just need to keep losing to get 9/10th at best tbh

The 11th finish has a 9.4% chance of getting a Top 4 pick. The 9th has a 20.3% chance of a Top 4 pick. It's a big deal. The problem is, Washington is 5.5 games back of Orlando for the 8th seed in the East, so they aren't likely to let the Spurs get that 9th pick.

Phoenix is within reach, though, and the 10th finish has a 13.9% chance for a Top 4 pick. That's about the best the Spurs can hope for now.

Prime BEEF
03-09-2020, 08:40 AM
That suggests to me that you move LMA for a decent SF, keep Poodle, and draft a post player. Oh, and move Dumbmar for anything - but a 2nd round pick and combo forward that is either unproven or a reclamation project. Move Bryn for anything, and punt on Rudy and Marco.
Yes. Agreed.

i’d prefer to s/t DDR and then trade DDR/LMA to bulls for LaVine/OPJ/1st Rd Pick. Then you could draft Toppin (w/ bulls pick) and Vernon Carey Jr (w/ spurs pick).

Murray/White
LaVine/Walker/KJ
OPJ/FA Vet
Toppin/Lyles
VCJ/Poetl

id also like to package Mills/Gay together to get a bad contract and 1st rd pick. Maybe for Love & a 1st or for Horford & a 1st.

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2020, 09:09 AM
Yes. Agreed.

i’d prefer to s/t DDR and then trade DDR/LMA to bulls for LaVine/OPJ/1st Rd Pick. Then you could draft Toppin (w/ bulls pick) and Vernon Carey Jr (w/ spurs pick).

Murray/White
LaVine/Walker/KJ
OPJ/FA Vet
Toppin/Lyles
VCJ/Poetl

id also like to package Mills/Gay together to get a bad contract and 1st rd pick. Maybe for Love & a 1st or for Horford & a 1st.

I don't know if they want to unload Love's contract badly enough to give up a first round pick, especially since their pick is likely going to be from 2-4. I would rather have their pick for next season, but they would make it a damn protected pick and those are a sucker play, because they can be manipulated.

There was a time when the Spurs could have tanked for a single season and gotten things back on track. But they screwed up so many personnel decisions trying to keep the streak alive that now it's going to take at least two seasons of misery. I would really be fine with them piling up some draft assets for the 2021 draft.

XDT76
03-09-2020, 09:55 AM

At the current keep losing seems a lock.

cd98
03-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Time to play rookies and tank.

rjv
03-09-2020, 11:00 AM
another thing to consider is that the further the spurs move up in the lottery, and thus the draft, the better their chances of being able to package a trade offer to move up a few spots on draft night.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-09-2020, 11:12 AM
I don't know who is even in this draft that could move the needle for us from 8 thru 12, but the Spurs need to pull a rabbit out of the hat this year. I haven't seen much to indicate there are a lot of guys who could be impactful right away. Hopefully this will be one of those sleeper drafts.

Not much to cheer for this year anymore beyond moving up in the draft. :cry

Realdeal1
03-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Yup ... not much to cheer for now except for a higher draft pick and letting the young guys play ... like someone else mentioned looks like next season will also be a rough one .. hopefully a high draft pick this year and next year helps put franchise back on track

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2020, 11:33 AM
I don't know who is even in this draft that could move the needle for us from 8 thru 12, but the Spurs need to pull a rabbit out of the hat this year. I haven't seen much to indicate there are a lot of guys who could be impactful right away. Hopefully this will be one of those sleeper drafts.

Not much to cheer for this year anymore beyond moving up in the draft. :cry

Jordan Nwora had a couple of bad games in the middle of a really good season at Louisville. He's back on his game, and has been averaging right at 17 and 10 since then. And he takes/makes enough 3's that the Spurs could afford to ditch Forbes. He's still the guy I want to see the Spurs take with their pick. I don't see anyone better, unless they manage to trade up.

wildbill2u
03-09-2020, 12:09 PM
If I had to let one of the young 3 guards go, it would be Murray. Lonnie is swifter and better shot. Can learn defense at SG. White is better all around since Murray has flaws in handling, shooting and BBIQ. Murray might get a better deal for us on the trade market based on his rookie year defensive award.

FutureMan
03-09-2020, 06:13 PM
Jordan Nwora had a couple of bad games in the middle of a really good season at Louisville. He's back on his game, and has been averaging right at 17 and 10 since then. And he takes/makes enough 3's that the Spurs could afford to ditch Forbes. He's still the guy I want to see the Spurs take with their pick. I don't see anyone better, unless they manage to trade up.

Agreed. Trade up for a top 8 pick or trade down for two picks like Nwora & Saddiq Bey

tholdren
03-09-2020, 08:15 PM
13th pick in arguably the worst nba draft ever. Lonzo balls brother is the headliner..... lol nba

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Agreed. Trade up for a top 8 pick or trade down for two picks like Nwora & Saddiq Bey

I don't think there's any way of getting both of those guys, but it would be a hell of a draft if they did. I'm not as high on Bey as some others, but still.

I don't think I've mentioned it here, but Nwora's father is the Nigerian NT head coach. Over the last 10 years or so, I've some to be a big believer in guys who come from basketball families and grow up in the game. Nwora had a big crunch-time shot in the tourney this summer that got Nigeria into the Olympics. Louisville lost by 3 to Virginia the other night, but he had 18 and 11. If he does well in the NCAA, I think he will be on a lot more people's radars.

Prime BEEF
03-11-2020, 12:51 PM
I don't think there's any way of getting both of those guys, but it would be a hell of a draft if they did. I'm not as high on Bey as some others, but still.

I don't think I've mentioned it here, but Nwora's father is the Nigerian NT head coach. Over the last 10 years or so, I've some to be a big believer in guys who come from basketball families and grow up in the game. Nwora had a big crunch-time shot in the tourney this summer that got Nigeria into the Olympics. Louisville lost by 3 to Virginia the other night, but he had 18 and 11. If he does well in the NCAA, I think he will be on a lot more people's radars.
Yeah he’s a coaches kid and would be a good get. Azubuike is also on that Nigeria team. Wouldn’t mind picking him up with 2nd rd pick.

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 01:09 PM
Yeah he’s a coaches kid and would be a good get. Azubuike is also on that Nigeria team. Wouldn’t mind picking him up with 2nd rd pick.

LOL. I was just talking to my wife about him. The kid's name is Udoka Azubuike. Ime Udoka played here, and I still remember how people on ST were salivating about wanting the Spurs to trade for Kelenna Azubuike. The Spurs missed out on Duncan Robinson. Can they really afford to pass on Udoka Azubuike? :lol

FutureMan
03-11-2020, 02:27 PM

You never know, most mock drafts have Bey around mid to late first and Nwora as a late first to early second round. Boston might be interested and they have picks 17, 25, & 30 at this time.

Prime BEEF
03-11-2020, 05:31 PM
LOL. I was just talking to my wife about him. The kid's name is Udoka Azubuike. Ime Udoka played here, and I still remember how people on ST were salivating about wanting the Spurs to trade for Kelenna Azubuike. The Spurs missed out on Duncan Robinson. Can they really afford to pass on Udoka Azubuike? :lol
nice play words. really should find a way to get Duncan Robinson here...just cuz.

slick'81
03-11-2020, 08:01 PM
Gotta stay in that 9-11 range assuming there is a season left at this point

rascal
03-11-2020, 09:19 PM
The Spurs have the 11th pick. That is, if there is a draft and they don't move up into the top 4.

GAustex
03-11-2020, 09:28 PM
Need a SF who can shoot and defend who is 6’ 7”

GAustex
03-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Cut Forbes and Beli
Sign Jacob
Hopefully you can get rid of DDR and get something for him

Dex
03-12-2020, 06:08 PM
This draft is gonna be wild, especially if March Madness ends up getting fully cancelled. So many shots in the dark.

Dejounte
03-12-2020, 06:55 PM
This draft is gonna be wild, especially if March Madness ends up getting fully cancelled. So many shots in the dark.

I think this works to the Spurs advantage. Other teams dont scout like they do.

Dex
03-13-2020, 09:08 AM
Whole tournament officially cancelled: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/march-madness-canceled-ncaa-tournament_n_5e69a1c5c5b6747ef116f368

Wild.

slick'81
03-13-2020, 03:59 PM
Whole tournament officially cancelled: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/march-madness-canceled-ncaa-tournament_n_5e69a1c5c5b6747ef116f368

Wild.

we could all see it coming

Dex
03-13-2020, 04:19 PM
we could all see it coming

Yeah, writing was on the wall after they cancelled the conference tournaments.

I thought there was a slight possibility of postponing, but that obviously wouldn't work for college kids the way it does the pros.

exstatic
03-13-2020, 05:53 PM
Yeah, writing was on the wall after they cancelled the conference tournaments.

I thought there was a slight possibility of postponing, but that obviously wouldn't work for college kids the way it does the pros.

Most of the high prospects/one and dones drop out of school right after the Tournament to start their workouts, so they won’t wait for a postponement.

Ignazzz
03-14-2020, 03:01 PM
6 spins= spurs #1

Sugus
03-14-2020, 05:31 PM
About 10-15 spins had the Spurs at 2 three times, whilst the rest were mostly staying at 11 or dropping one to 12. We're in the higher ups' hands here.

slick'81
03-14-2020, 05:36 PM
About 10-15 spins had the Spurs at 2 three times, whilst the rest were mostly staying at 11 or dropping one to 12. We're in the higher ups' hands here.

A top 4 pick would be lovely for how shitty this season was for sa

tim_duncan_fan
03-15-2020, 12:39 AM
Any way of knowing who the spurs considered to be the best guy in the 2013 draft? It looks pretty awful and people say this draft will be awful too. The Spurs didn't get anything out of Livio, but looking back at who came after him, they did the best they could and went with potential.