PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs at Nuggets - Feb. 10, 2020

timvp
02-11-2020, 03:34 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-denver-nuggets-february-10-2020/

tl;dr: No lead is big enough.

Arcadian
02-11-2020, 03:44 AM
Evolving from dumpster fire to nuclear catastrophe.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
02-11-2020, 04:59 AM
tank

monty4329
02-11-2020, 05:33 AM
At least Lonnie took advantage of his opportunity to start...

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2020, 05:56 AM
I only watched the first half so let me guess: Pop did the same thing he did last year in the playoffs in game 2 and they lost the lead? Was it a Forbes/Belinelli line up? Or a Mills/Belinelli line up? Or did he play all 3 together while Demarre Carroll is at home watching TV?

dbestpro
02-11-2020, 07:19 AM
White - 18 minutes. 15 points. Pop - We plaid our best defensive player Forbes 28 minutes and that should have been enough. Tbh, as defense is our greatest flaw I would like to see the grades weighted 2-1 defense to offense. Scoring 15 points does not mean much when the guy you guard scores 30.

leo07251413
02-11-2020, 07:50 AM
I'm so tilted.
Watching these games is so depressing.

r0drig0lac
02-11-2020, 08:03 AM
you don't have to pay 30 million to Demar to be mediocre, and watching walker, murray and white out there is more fun imo.

sananspursfan21
02-11-2020, 08:11 AM
I know we’re spoiled brats but still, this is hard to stomach!! Thanks for the grades though!

UZER
02-11-2020, 08:35 AM
White - 18 minutes. 15 points. Pop - We plaid our best defensive player Forbes 28 minutes and that should have been enough. Tbh, as defense is our greatest flaw I would like to see the grades weighted 2-1 defense to offense. Scoring 15 points does not mean much when the guy you guard scores 30.

So is Pop pulling the ol - keep a really good young player stealth from other teams and lower his value for the Spurs to resign - with White?

I’m being sarcastic of course, but if true, then what a douche bag :lol

Teamduncan21
02-11-2020, 09:27 AM
but we should be happy to get higher in the draft? its over already time to tank

TimDunkem
02-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Just tank already. And, no, a "weak draft" is not an excuse not to when you're not making the playoffs anyway.

Kobe'sAchilles
02-11-2020, 10:39 AM
All we can hope for is to draft a SF. Seriously I don't see how we still don't have one.

GAustex
02-11-2020, 10:59 AM
It was more fun watching the game w/o DDR ball hogging. It was sad though watching the Nugs catch fire at the end.

NASpurs
02-11-2020, 11:03 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-denver-nuggets-february-10-2020/

tl;dr: No lead is big enough.

“A Trey Lyles three-pointer with 6:49 remaining in the period gave San Antonio a 23-point lead, 86-53.”

I’m guessing you meant 76-53 unless they actually blew a 33 point lead.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2020, 12:49 PM
The minutes that Bryn and Marco get are frustrating (and Mills).

At this point, I'd bring Keldon in, and hand the keys to White, Walker and Murray and see what they can do. Seeing us play guys who are over the hill, and/or suck, just to try to eek out a win because they are easy to coach makes no sense.

Pop's the highest paid coach in the league and it looks like he's been coasting most nights, trying to rely on his experienced guys to bail him out rather than gameplan and work on developing the young guys. The season's over at this point, so let's get the youth moving going in full force and prepare for our first lottery night in many years.

TDomination
02-11-2020, 12:54 PM
All we can hope for is to draft a SF. Seriously I don't see how we still don't have one.
and one thats no shorter than 6'7 please. we need length, we are too small.
we got plenty of shortys lol

TDomination
02-11-2020, 01:01 PM
The minutes that Bryn and Marco get are frustrating.

At this point, I'd bring Keldon in, and hand the keys to White, Walker and Murray and see what they can do. Seeing us play guys who are over the hill, and/or suck, just to try to eek out a win because they are easy to coach makes no sense.

Pop's the highest paid coach in the league and it looks like he's been coasting most nights, trying to rely on his experienced guys to bail him out rather than gameplan and work on developing the young guys. The season's over at this point, so let's get the youth moving going in full force and prepare for our first lottery night in many years.
it is frustrating. it gives me a headache cause i love the spurs a lot but not these 2. Not this year. I was fine with Beli last year cause Walker was too raw to play. But now that Walker has looked decent at times, he needs to get more burn. And White not playing at least 30mpg is a travesty. No excuse for that outside of injury reasons. NONE

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2020, 01:10 PM
it is frustrating. it gives me a headache cause i love the spurs a lot but not these 2. Not this year. I was fine with Beli last year cause Walker was too raw to play. But now that Walker has looked decent at times, he needs to get more burn. And White not playing at least 30mpg is a travesty. No excuse for that outside of injury reasons. NONE

And not playing White and Murray together more makes no sense. And no one can tell me DeMarre Carroll is that much worse than Forbes, Marco and even Rudy some nights that he can't get a little run.

It's been the oddest season ever as a fan to try to figure out what in the fvck we're doing with our rotations and lack of game-planning and in-game decision making. It looks like Pop's on auto pilot most of the time. Any of us could do what he's doing on a nightly basis with that bunch. Did he lose his green notebook?? Inquiring minds want to know.

rjv
02-11-2020, 01:36 PM
one theory on the spurs blowing leads is pretty basic. it's just that teams now regards the spurs as bottom feeders and don't get up to play them. it's the way it was when the spurs were contenders and did the same. they would often come in flat, let a bad team take double-digit leads and then they would kick it into gear and take over in the 4th. that is happening now to the spurs when they play contenders. also, the spurs have hit their wall and are regressing to the mean. the one positive is that they may just settle into the bottom 10, overall NBA standings-wise and then maybe have a chance at getting lucky in the actual lottery. the real key will be their softer stretch in March. they may do just well enough then to get closer to the 8th seed but sill miss out, or they may just cave-depending on how the kings, suns and blazers play at that same time.

Sugus
02-11-2020, 01:48 PM
The reason the Spurs struggle to close out games and lose leads is quite simple. It's two problems, really: Pop playing anti-logical lineups which puts non-defenders on the floor when they're needed most, and trash players throughout the game; and the players that do matter forgetting/failing to execute in the crunch. The lead yesterday noticeably started to dwindle once the Spurs got away from the plays/players which had been giving them points earlier, and tried to Branch out or outshoot the opponent. No, Patty, you're not Curry reincarnate, I don't want to see you take contested off the dribble 3's on consecutive possessions as the Nuggets are coming back to life.

Yesterday's game was actually a very fun one. It was absolutely obvious that the Spurs were gonna choke and seeing them perform so well in the first half only made it much more laughable to see them crumble. And of course Pop tried closing the game with Forbes-Marco lineup... You can't script that.

Slippy
02-11-2020, 02:17 PM
DWHITE 19 min when Demar not playing. Marco, Patty and Bryn playing majority of the 4th.

Demarree off the roster.

Tanking in full effect

Thanks for grades.

spurs10
02-11-2020, 03:04 PM
Every game it gets worse. I thought there Clips loss would be the worst of the RRT, but this one was like being in a nightmare. There was a 30 point turnaround in 18 minutes of play. That sounds hard to accomplish with any kind of defensive effort.

tbdog
02-11-2020, 03:49 PM
Every game it gets worse. I thought there Clips loss would be the worst of the RRT, but this one was like being in a nightmare. There was a 30 point turnaround in 18 minutes of play. That sounds hard to accomplish with any kind of defensive effort.

You saw the end where Spurs didn't even attempt to rebound and didn't even attempt to challenge the 3 point shot by Craig.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2020, 04:41 PM
The reason the Spurs struggle to close out games and lose leads is quite simple. It's two problems, really: Pop playing anti-logical lineups which puts non-defenders on the floor when they're needed most, and trash players throughout the game; and the players that do matter forgetting/failing to execute in the crunch. The lead yesterday noticeably started to dwindle once the Spurs got away from the plays/players which had been giving them points earlier, and tried to Branch out or outshoot the opponent. No, Patty, you're not Curry reincarnate, I don't want to see you take contested off the dribble 3's on consecutive possessions as the Nuggets are coming back to life.

Yesterday's game was actually a very fun one. It was absolutely obvious that the Spurs were gonna choke and seeing them perform so well in the first half only made it much more laughable to see them crumble. And of course Pop tried closing the game with Forbes-Marco lineup... You can't script that.

Did not watch...

but not surprised at all.