PDA

View Full Version : Front Office not communicating with fans

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Perhaps I have missed the Front Office explaining their decisions for this season to fans. Is there an RC Buford or Pop interview about this? Is Brian Wright anywhere giving an interview about the Front Office decisions recently?

lmbebo
02-11-2020, 10:17 AM
nope, but ultimately they only have to justify there action to the owners.

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 10:48 AM
All I remember seeing from the Spurs at the trade deadline was that comment from Pop that they aren't known for making moves at the trade deadline. That's just not enough info for fans as to what they have in mind going forward and what their plan is for turning things around. Instead one has to look at media for insight.

ginobilized
02-11-2020, 11:00 AM
They are hemorrhaging fans. There must be some serious disarray internally to forget who you serve.
SA is an incredible fan base. Fierce and loyal. Don’t treat them this way!!!!

Losing is ok. Rebuilding is ok. Not communicating with the people who have supported you is questionable.
The nephew situation looks totally different now. Public Relations in this day and age are vital. Sad to see this
fall apart in such a weak way. It’s like Kawhi’s team is still running things with the muteness and tone deafness to addressing anything. Might be time to find another interest besides the Spurs and NBA basketball.

dbestpro
02-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Cheering for a team is more than location, winning or losing. It is about character and the way you go about preparing and playing. You cheer for the athleticism. You cheer for the intelligence. You cheer for success under pressure. You cheer for the heart.

There is very little to even like about this team. They are not more gifted, they are far less intelligent, and when crunch time happens they get crunched. Heart? They are the scarecrows of the NBA. I am now a fan of blowing it up and would not mind an entire new roster and coach.

For now, maybe I will cheer for Danny Green or maybe Coach Bud. Maybe I'll look to the draft for hope. It would be nice to actually want to see or even go to a Spurs game, again.

Darius Bieber
02-11-2020, 11:10 AM
Like I said, if this team was in New York or Chicago, their media would roast them alive.

TDomination
02-11-2020, 11:25 AM
I wish we knew whats going on with the front office/coaching this year. This is the most backwards off year i have ever seen.

I keep going back and forth on why Pop is playing who hes playing. How can you justify playing the worst defenders, probably in the NBA, all at one time and say that you're trying to win? And then turn right around and say that the guys are needing to man up and get the job done. The decisions seem SO bad that this just has to be a deliberate tank job. Right?

Darius Bieber
02-11-2020, 11:36 AM
I wish we knew whats going on with the front office/coaching this year. This is the most backwards off year i have ever seen.

I keep going back and forth on why Pop is playing who hes playing. How can you justify playing the worst defenders, probably in the NBA, all at one time and say that you're trying to win? And then turn right around and say that the guys are needing to man up and get the job done. The decisions seem SO bad that this just has to be a deliberate tank job. Right?

It really is backwards... We basically just lose Bertans (and gain Murray), and we're on pace for basically half the wins as last year?

At this point, I really think the team is in tank mode for this season (get a good role player) and next season (2021 Draft, way better than this year's, trying to get generational talent). Cuz they know no one is gonna be able to stop the Lakers/Bucks/Clippers this year or next anyways.

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 11:38 AM
I find interviews like this refreshing...

When I first read it I was naively like: "oh FO do communicate some of their rationale and plans to the fans!" Wow.

Other FO are certainly more open and communicative about their decisions to fans because they are trying to get more people interested and excited about the team, which the Spurs need to be doing. That makes sense obviously but having only fanned the Spurs previously I was surprised to see this kind of open communication and explanation about their moves. Even if the Spurs had made a trade, they would be tight lipped about it for example and I was used to that. But no more. They are too bad a team to take on airs like they don't have to sell fans anymore about what they are doing.

What Pop doesn't realize with his attitude towards the media is that the smart ass responses, deflections, failures to answer and cryptic comments are really all that fans hear from the FO about where the team is headed. We are consumers and they aren't making any kind of effort right now to sell fans on this product.

MultiTroll
02-11-2020, 12:01 PM
What Pop doesn't realize with his attitude towards the media is that the smart ass responses, deflections, failures to answer and cryptic comments are really all that fans hear from the FO about where the team is headed. We are consumers and they aren't making any kind of effort right now to sell fans on this product.
He and his slurpers thought he was witty and cutesy when Duncan and Kawhi were dragging his ass around.
Now we're seeing what giving all power to Lord Poppycock is resulting in.
Young Holts don't know what they are doing.

monty4329
02-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Why would they? Pop is most certainly retiring, what else would they say? As soon as the family recoups the money they spent on the ATT and future committed costs they are going to try moving to Vegas. Maybe they are already in the black and it is just a matter of the league approving the move

BWS-1994
02-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Has the FO even communicated with the fans before?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2020, 12:58 PM
Perhaps I have missed the Front Office explaining their decisions for this season to fans. Is there an RC Buford or Pop interview about this? Is Brian Wright anywhere giving an interview about the Front Office decisions recently?

:rollin

The Spurs never explain anything about what's going on to the fans. They didn't do it when they were winning, so I'm sure the last thing Pop wants to do is explain anything now that they suck.

And the media is scared to call him out, so no real questions ever get answered, much less get asked.

Thomas82
02-11-2020, 01:13 PM
Cheering for a team is more than location, winning or losing. It is about character and the way you go about preparing and playing. You cheer for the athleticism. You cheer for the intelligence. You cheer for success under pressure. You cheer for the heart.

There is very little to even like about this team. They are not more gifted, they are far less intelligent, and when crunch time happens they get crunched. Heart? They are the scarecrows of the NBA. I am now a fan of blowing it up and would not mind an entire new roster and coach.

For now, maybe I will cheer for Danny Green or maybe Coach Bud. Maybe I'll look to the draft for hope. It would be nice to actually want to see or even go to a Spurs game, again.

Well said!!

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 01:17 PM

The Spurs never explain anything about what's going on to the fans. They didn't do it when they were winning, so I'm sure the last thing Pop wants to do is explain anything now that they suck.

And the media is scared to call him out, so no real questions ever get answered, much less get asked.
I know. It was something that always left us speculating and thus coining the "CIA Pop" stuff. When they were winning so often as fan you don't care as much or at least you make fun of it, bc winning is what matters. But now? I think they have a product to sell and will probably need to have a public relations guy advise them or something bc they will need to get fans engaged again and trust in some kind of process in the future IMO.

sasaint
02-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Don’t ask; don’t tell. The media doesn’t ask; PATFO and ownership don’t tell. Fans? Let them eat cake.

ernest787
02-11-2020, 01:43 PM
wait. will this lead to sagirl leaving the forum?!?!?

please don't ever say a word Pop!!!!!

DPG21920
02-11-2020, 01:46 PM
I’ve been asking on Twitter and the consensus is the reporters have requested time to interview Wright but have been denied thus far.

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 01:48 PM
DPG21920 I know you have raised questions about Wright since b4 the trade deadline. The forum doesn't allow for search functions so finding that is like finding a needle in a haystack and not worth the time... but I do know for sure you have had questions about the FO changes and the direction they are taking for at least a month now.

Wright is not helping his case to appear as anything other than a stand in figure head.

NASpurs
02-11-2020, 01:50 PM
I’ve been asking on Twitter and the consensus is the reporters have requested time to interview Wright but have been denied thus far.

When’s the last time anyone has seen him? Where’s the body?

elbamba1
02-11-2020, 01:50 PM
I told the season ticket rep a couple of weeks ago that I would not purchase tickets to watch Marco and Forbes play. He was emailing and calling me weekly desperate to sale me on the rest of this year and next. I will not commit to paying tens of thousands of dollars to a team that has no defined direction. I suspect I am not the only one. When the Spurs had TD, Manu, and Tony, the fan base did not need a lot of details because the core was in place. Right now, Derrick White can't even play 20 minutes consistently and I am not sure we have ever seen a Murray, White, Walker, DeRozen, and LA lineup. Why would anyone want to burn their money on this team?

DPG21920
02-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Will update if I get a response

K...
02-11-2020, 02:00 PM
There's really only chance of catching anything is if Buford over the summer watching players does an interview at halftime. But yeah, they're not doing to announce tank plans because they fear it'll tank sales. They're kicking the can as far down the road they can and still be able to eat the beans inside.

SAGirl
02-11-2020, 02:00 PM
I told the season ticket rep a couple of weeks ago that I would not purchase tickets to watch Marco and Forbes play. He was emailing and calling me weekly desperate to sale me on the rest of this year and next. I will not commit to paying tens of thousands of dollars to a team that has no defined direction. I suspect I am not the only one. When the Spurs had TD, Manu, and Tony, the fan base did not need a lot of details because the core was in place. Right now, Derrick White can't even play 20 minutes consistently and I am not sure we have ever seen a Murray, White, Walker, DeRozen, and LA lineup. Why would anyone want to burn their money on this team?
Thanks for this answer. I was guessing they were going to be more open with season ticket holders in non televised statements but I guess not.

skeeler
02-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Also naming rights to the stadium should be near :)

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2020, 03:35 PM
Is Kim Yong-Un telling his citizens the truth?

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2020, 03:41 PM

You would think so, but then you realize he's made 7th place with Team USA and told Bam Adebayo that he wasn't ready while playing Mason Plumlee. And he played Mills and Belinelli in the playoffs together after they gave up a 15 point lead, called time out and put them back in so they give up another 10-0 run which lost the series. Then gave Bertans away for free and signed Carroll, but doesn't play Carroll.

So there is a lot more evidence that he's just an idiotic coach than evidence for him trying to tank.

r0drig0lac
02-11-2020, 04:11 PM
When’s the last time anyone has seen him? Where’s the body?
https://media1.tenor.com/images/81bb69bfafa4dfe8aecab6dd6c031a15/tenor.gif?itemid=7906685

Chillen
02-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Well if the losing continues the next few years expect empty seats, that's how the fans speak about the product being put on the court if FO won't say or do anything like the Spurs.

TimDunkem
02-11-2020, 08:30 PM
They used to have fan Q and As privately with season ticket holders. Don't know if they still do.

Das Texan
02-11-2020, 10:59 PM
Front office hasnt really given a shit about fans for years.

Product gets worse on and off the court and especially at the arena on a yearly basis.

I assume its still a god awful product at the AT&T Center. Dropped my tickets for this year due in large to rising prices, declining service and a team without a real direction.

John B
02-12-2020, 01:32 AM
Frustrating as it is, I've always trusted Pop and the front office. He's not about to change just because of a losing record. Maybe this team has waited too long on Demar, I don't know. Because tonight's game shows the team plays better without him hugging the ball. It worked with Kobe, but Mamba was clutch. Demar is not. I don't know what's the deal with Carroll. That one is a big f*ck up. But despite the losing record, I know the Pop and the front office is trying their best to correct and steer back to winning.

MemphisGirl
02-12-2020, 01:40 AM
Not resigning Kyle was the final straw for me.

r0drig0lac
02-12-2020, 11:56 AM

lmao

MannyIsGod
02-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Like I said, if this team was in New York or Chicago, their media would roast them alive.

Yeah the media keeps the knicks and bulls winning championships left and right with their hard hitting questions. Great examples and point.

MannyIsGod
02-12-2020, 12:04 PM
I know. It was something that always left us speculating and thus coining the "CIA Pop" stuff. When they were winning so often as fan you don't care as much or at least you make fun of it, bc winning is what matters. But now? I think they have a product to sell and will probably need to have a public relations guy advise them or something bc they will need to get fans engaged again and trust in some kind of process in the future IMO.

God some of you are so fucking delusional. Spurstalk is not representative of Spurs fans everywhere. Contrary to your belief, no everyone out there hates Pop. Memphis has to engage fans because they've been awful forever. The Spurs aren't in that position and the don't operate that way and they never will as long as Pop is there.

You're not that important.

MannyIsGod
02-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Straight and to the point. Lets not act like anything else matters here. This thread is just finding another way to talk about how much better Memphis is than the Spurs.

SAGirl
02-12-2020, 12:12 PM
You will be alright girl. He's in a good situation for himself tbh.

look_at_g_shred
02-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Yeah the media keeps the knicks and bulls winning championships left and right with their hard hitting questions. Great examples and point.
lmao

exstatic
02-12-2020, 12:33 PM
You will be alright girl. He's in a good situation for himself tbh.

You understand that's a troll account basically mocking you and your Kyle obsession, right?

SAGirl
02-12-2020, 12:43 PM
You understand that's a troll account basically mocking you and your Kyle obsession, right?
of course and I was just being sarcastic right back. I would have thought that was obvious.
It's just funny how some fans still haven't themselves gotten over 2 year old schticks (and counting).

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-12-2020, 12:44 PM
lol @ Memphis being some shining beacon of front office competence.

The whining gets ridiculous. Imagine what it'll be like during a 10 year long rebuild that every small market team goes through.

SAGirl
02-12-2020, 12:48 PM
^ Their FO did an overhaul... but it's obviously not about them. It's about how tight lipped the Spurs are with not communicating and answering questions from media (being unavailable at this point basically and ever since Wright took his position) and thus not addressing fans. It would have been obvious tbh... for fans not trolling.

exstatic
02-12-2020, 03:30 PM
^ Their FO did an overhaul... but it's obviously not about them. It's about how tight lipped the Spurs are with not communicating and answering questions from media (being unavailable at this point basically and ever since Wright took his position) and thus not addressing fans. It would have been obvious tbh... for fans not trolling.

The thing is, it's just ridiculous to expect it. It would be like waking up one day, astonished that the sky isn't red, and actually bringing it up in conversation. The sky is blue and has always been blue. To expect otherwise is absurd.

sasaint
02-12-2020, 03:38 PM
The thing is, it's just ridiculous to expect it. It would be like waking up one day, astonished that the sky isn't red, and actually bringing it up in conversation. The sky is blue and has always been blue. To expect otherwise is absurd.

That's not a great analogy. Sure the sky is still blue, but it is now falling.

exstatic
02-12-2020, 04:11 PM
That's not a great analogy. Sure the sky is still blue, but it is now falling.

But it's still not red...

exstatic
02-12-2020, 04:13 PM
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

sasaint
02-12-2020, 04:54 PM
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

So, if PATFO were realistic, they would adjust their sails.

Tbh, while I have real qualms about the media failing to perform their duty and actually ask meaningful questions of Pop in his pressers, the gist of this thread never occurred to me. I honestly don't follow other NBA teams sufficiently to have any idea how much or little their HC and FOs communicate with their fans. The Spurs could be pretty typical for all I know. It does occur to me that it is not realistic to compare the team/fan communication of an NBA team to, say, an NFL team. With a roster of 15 and a starting unit of 5, anything critical of his team that an NBA coach might offer the media, or any insight into the team's plans can get very personal very quickly, with serious locker room ramifications. With a roster of 53, and 22 starters, an NFL coach can offer the press observations like "Our offensive line play was poor," which identifies a specific area of concern without pointing a finger at an individual. When an NBA coach says "Our PG play was poor," well...

Having said that, it is quite clear that a Spurs team that won 50 games every season with 3 players on the Spurs' Mt. Rushmore doesn't have the same publicity needs as one that has fallen off a cliff and doesn't appear to be doing anything to field a winner.

cool cat
02-12-2020, 05:04 PM
Spurstalk right here
https://twitter.com/ericvdunn/status/1227416334931238912
https://twitter.com/ericvdunn/status/1227435400060383237

K...
02-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Do people really want to get high and mighty about Memphis? A team that is better than the Spurs, that has an actual star to build around? Dunk on Memphis for their coach hires, Chandler Parsons, and giving Kyle big $$, but they are set to kick our asses in the near future.

exstatic
02-12-2020, 07:21 PM
So, if PATFO were realistic, they would adjust their sails.

Tbh, while I have real qualms about the media failing to perform their duty and actually ask meaningful questions of Pop in his pressers, the gist of this thread never occurred to me. I honestly don't follow other NBA teams sufficiently to have any idea how much or little their HC and FOs communicate with their fans. The Spurs could be pretty typical for all I know. It does occur to me that it is not realistic to compare the team/fan communication of an NBA team to, say, an NFL team. With a roster of 15 and a starting unit of 5, anything critical of his team that an NBA coach might offer the media, or any insight into the team's plans can get very personal very quickly, with serious locker room ramifications. With a roster of 53, and 22 starters, an NFL coach can offer the press observations like "Our offensive line play was poor," which identifies a specific area of concern without pointing a finger at an individual. When an NBA coach says "Our PG play was poor," well...

Having said that, it is quite clear that a Spurs team that won 50 games every season with 3 players on the Spurs' Mt. Rushmore doesn't have the same publicity needs as one that has fallen off a cliff and doesn't appear to be doing anything to field a winner.

That quote was directed at SAgirl. Guess I should have quoted her message. She needs to adjust her expectations of a front office that has been consistently closed mouthed. To expect otherwise is to WANT disappointment.

SAGirl
02-12-2020, 10:52 PM
I suppose my question was answered. No they aren't. DPG thanks :tu

They aren't expected to and the media gets bullied and scared into a corner anyways, (all of which I knew) but there is nothing new from Wright and some fans are fine with that and used to it while others are not.

Obi Juan Kenobi
02-16-2020, 04:32 AM
Well if the losing continues the next few years expect empty seats, that's how the fans speak about the product being put on the court if FO won't say or do anything like the Spurs.

That is the best way to get the FO’s attention by hurting their bottom line!!!

Slippy
02-16-2020, 05:21 AM
I suppose my question was answered. No they aren't. DPG thanks :tu

They aren't expected to and the media gets bullied and scared into a corner anyways, (all of which I knew) but there is nothing new from Wright and some fans are fine with that and used to it while others are not.

Thats not normal though, for clubs to be this quiet about whats happening. They want to continue with that attitude when the team is losing, then they risk alienating their fan base.

dbestpro
02-16-2020, 08:51 AM
All they have to do is say they have a plan. It would be nice if they do have a plan, that they share that plan. Otherwise, we have no choice but to believe they are just showing up and collecting their checks while checking out on the job.

ismael-robert
02-16-2020, 10:27 AM
If they shared their plans n players of interest thats when opposing teams try to block those plans n poach those players. If media doesnt hear spurs have agreement with morris do knicks still try to outbid us?

weeks
02-16-2020, 10:49 AM

and all that roasting hasn't changed shit :lol

DPG21920
02-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Why do people keep with the strawman? No one is saying getting reporting would lead to a title. But it’s odd that one of the nbas premier franchises of the last 20 years is at a major crossroads with a new Gm and its....crickets? There is a real story there.

DMC
02-16-2020, 12:26 PM
Making trade deadline moves makes no sense for a team with no direction.

DesignatedT
02-16-2020, 12:39 PM
Obviously impossible to plan for what’s ahead without knowing Pops future and Pop might not truly know what that is yet and I don’t think there’s anyone in the organization who’s gonna ask Pop to hurry his ass up and make a decision about his future.

tim_duncan_fan
02-16-2020, 01:41 PM
and all that roasting hasn't changed shit :lol

Nuff said.

Dennis the Menace
02-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Sadly, this franchise won’t begin orchestrating a resurgence until Pop retires.

Slippy
02-16-2020, 05:54 PM
Nuff said.

But its keeps fans engaged even when losing long term. Case in point would be the bulls

Prime BEEF
02-16-2020, 06:06 PM
Sadly, this franchise won’t begin orchestrating a resurgence until Pop retires.
Yup

phxspurfan
02-17-2020, 02:01 PM
Red Sox message to fans after trading Mookie Betts

MemphisGirl
05-20-2020, 08:22 PM
Contrary to your belief, no everyone out there hates Pop.

I hate Pop. Spurs would've been in the playoffs this year if he had kept Kyle.

How do you not keep your glue guy?

dbreiden83080
05-20-2020, 08:50 PM
What should they say?

"Sorry Guys We Got Set Back About 10 Years, Because Number 2 Turned Out To Be A Complete Cock"

widowmaker
05-21-2020, 08:02 AM
I hate Pop. Spurs would've been in the playoffs this year if he had kept Kyle.

How do you not keep your glue guy?

Im confused are you a Spurs fan or Grizzlies fan?:huh
If you are a Grizzlies fan dont worry you have the glue guy.

exstatic
05-21-2020, 08:18 AM

T
R
O
L
L

widowmaker
05-21-2020, 09:04 AM
T
R
O
L
L

Yeah i know Lmao.

lefty
05-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Kawhi thread!

RC_Drunkford
05-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Kyle Anderson > Brent Forms

talkspurs
05-23-2020, 05:36 PM

I think everyone agrees with that except for :pop:

MemphisGirl
05-28-2020, 12:44 AM

I can't turn my back on Kyle like the Spurs did.

MemphisGirl
05-28-2020, 12:45 AM

I think everyone agrees with that except for :pop:

Even all the Kyle haters don't disagree with this.

ElNono
05-28-2020, 01:33 AM
I wish Pop would come up and talk some more about POTUS and the pandemic, tbh, and if the lockdown has changed his wine-drinking habits.

widowmaker
05-28-2020, 03:26 AM

Well ill turn my back on you good bye.

ZeusWillJudge
05-28-2020, 07:49 AM

So you're a front-entry only kind of girl?

Prime BEEF
06-03-2020, 11:50 AM
Haha perfect. I know it’s a troll account but still funny

BackHome
06-06-2020, 09:07 AM
I think I am done with the Spurs well until Poop is gone. Still interested in draft and getting players not not going to watch or go to anymore Spurs games.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-06-2020, 10:38 AM
:cry poop keeps spanking mah president :cry

ace3g
06-08-2020, 03:45 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1270089381991374848
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1270100375908032515

MemphisGirl
08-02-2020, 05:06 PM

I'm wholesome! So is Kyle!

ace3g
08-21-2020, 01:14 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1296866884319666176