PDA

View Full Version : Cavs remade in Spurs image

T Park
11-04-2005, 02:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110405.1D.BKNspurs.cavaliers.advance.254de47.h tml

Cavs remade in Spurs' image

Web Posted: 11/04/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
Much like the team he oversees, the office of Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry remains a work in progress.

Until a few months ago, an apartment belonging to former Cavaliers owner Gordon Gund occupied the corner of Quicken Loans Arena that Ferry and his staff now use. The team's new owner, Dan Gilbert, converted the unit into work space, but Ferry so far has added only the basic essentials for an NBA executive: an oversized desk and a flat-screen, high-definition TV.

At the least, however, he soon hopes to fill his walls with pictures: one of his father, Bob, who he now employs as a scout; another of his coach at Duke, Mike Krzyzewski; a shot of his close friend and former teammate, Steve Kerr; and a group photo of Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, coach Gregg Popovich, assistant general manager Sam Presti and former scouting director Lance Blanks.

"Those were important people and proud experiences for me," Ferry said, "so the pictures will help me remember where I came from and what I learned."

Of course, if Ferry is feeling unusually nostalgic, he also can walk around the corner. The adjoining office belongs to one of his two assistant general managers: Lance Blanks.

Not too far away are the new accommodations for Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, a member of Popovich's staff during the three seasons Ferry played for the Spurs. Sitting next to Brown on Cleveland's bench is Hank Egan, Popovich's longtime assistant.

When Ferry went looking for a third point guard this summer, he turned to another familiar face: Mike Wilks, last season's popular backup to Tony Parker and Beno Udrih. He also hired Ken Snead, an intern on the Spurs' strength and conditioning staff, to fill the same role in Cleveland.

"The one thing we have to be careful about is this is not San Antonio," said Ferry, who will receive his championship ring before the Spurs' game against Cleveland tonight at the SBC Center. "Mike and I learned a lot from our time there. But for us to be successful, we not only have to be good; we have to be authentic."

Despite the dozens of San Antonio North jokes, Ferry and Brown didn't have to look past Ohio's borders to find the cornerstone of their new franchise. With star forward LeBron James eligible for a five-year contract extension next fall, Ferry and Brown, in concert with Gilbert, hope to build a team that can grow about the gifted 20-year-old.

In a little more than two months this summer, Ferry re-signed his friend and former teammate, center Zydrunas Ilgauskas; lured shooting guard Larry Hughes away from Washington; and bolstered the team's bench with veterans Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones. The cost: $150 million.

In addition, Gilbert paid to turn the Cavaliers' locker room into one of the league's best. The team also has plans to renovate its weight room and build a state-of-the-art practice facility.

"When you have the opportunity to be with guys who have been there, done that, so to speak, and have won games, it makes you feel like they have the formula, so you want to be a part of it," Hughes said of Cleveland's rookie general manager and coach. "When you have the winning attitude from the top, that translates to the coach and then on to the players."

Ferry spent the previous five seasons with the Spurs, the first three as a player, the last two as director of basketball operations, where he teamed with Popovich, Buford, Presti and Blanks to form one of the league's top front-office staffs.

Because of those relationships — and the fondness his wife and four daughters had for the city — Ferry struggled considerably with his decision this summer: Remain with the team he had helped win two championships? Or return to the franchise he called home for 10 seasons?

In his first meeting with Cavaliers' officials, Ferry interviewed Gilbert as much as the owner interviewed him. Even after Gilbert assured him he would be the top chief decision maker — the team previously had spent a month flirting with Larry Brown — Ferry was still leaning toward staying in San Antonio. The presence of Mike Brown, who already had been hired, ultimately convinced him to accept the challenge.

For about a month, Ferry and Brown essentially shared the same office. From morning until night, they traded ideas on how to shape their roster. Cavaliers' staffers, accustomed to the icy relationship between former general manager Jim Paxson and coach Paul Silas, were surprised at the rapport between the two.

"If I was going to try to do this," Ferry said, "I couldn't think of anyone better to share the foxhole with."

Ferry and Brown also looked to their former mentors for help. Brown quizzed Popovich on everything from getting to know James, to dealing with the media to filling out his staff. Popovich's recommendation, in fact, led Brown to Michael Malone as one of his assistant coaches.

"I look at Pop as this godfatherly figure," Brown said. "In my opinion, he's starting his own legacy like Larry Brown, in terms of having his assistants and other people out and about running organizations.

"People see the success the Spurs have had, and they want to try to emulate what they've done. You can't copy it, but you can definitely take a lot of good from it and try to build a foundation."

As a result, the Spurs spent part of the summer rebuilding their own foundation. In addition to losing Ferry and Blanks, longtime scout Joe Prunty left to become an assistant coach in Dallas. The Spurs also planned to create a full-time role for Monty Williams, only to see him join Nate McMillan's new staff in Portland.

Buford was able to rebuff Ferry's attempts to take Presti, whom several officials consider one of the league's top young executives, and new basketball operations assistant Rob Hennigan. Ferry's other front-office hire — Atlanta assistant general manager Chris Grant — also was a potential target of the Spurs.

Former Spurs guard Dell Demps has been hired as the Spurs' director of pro player personnel, and Buford eventually may add another staffer. Any tension resulting from Ferry's hiring of Blanks also quickly disappeared.

"We lost a lot with Danny and Lance, but we feel honored that other people see the same value in them that we did," Buford said. "They brought good, fresh ideas to our system and resources we didn't already have. Our goal now is to add new ideas and continue to grow."

Ferry, like Brown, has kept a house in San Antonio, so his family can occasionally return. He and Buford remain good friends and talk two or three times a week.

After watching Cleveland's breathless player introductions Wednesday night, Buford sent Ferry a text message. One of Ferry's jobs with the Spurs was to quash such marketing gimmicks.

"I told him," Buford said laughing, "he apparently didn't learn enough when he was here."