PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Signs of Power- The Spurs around Finley

T Park
11-04-2005, 02:37 AM
It won't be like this every night. Brent Barry, for example, won't run out to midcourt and plant a kiss on the cheek of David Stern

Not every night.

Michael Finley also won't do what he did Tuesday, not every night, not in every fourth quarter. If he did, the Spurs wouldn't lose a half-dozen games.

Finley instead will find what all shooters find in San Antonio, that changing minutes and limited attempts can mess with a man's rhythm. He also will find there will be nights when Manu Ginobili is healthier and taking more than nine shots, and when Bruce Bowen will do something to stay on the floor.

But for a first night? Tuesday is what Finley dreamed of when he turned down more money in Miami and more friends in Phoenix.

And the dream wasn't just about him.

Finley says the ring ceremony got to him, which didn't set him apart from the sellout crowd. But Finley's view was up close. With new teammates celebrating an old season, he says he felt like a kid. "I want one of those," he was telling himself.

Then came the start, which Finley didn't. He had walked out for the tip for eight consecutive seasons, as automatic as anyone on the teams he played for, and this time he simply sat.

For an entire 90 seconds. Then Gregg Popovich sent Finley to the scorer's table to replace Bowen.

His entrance was delayed, but the moment said so much about the defending champs. Popovich loved to mix and match before, and now he has more options.

There will be nights when Barry draws more time, when Nick Van Exel takes over a quarter, when Robert Horry makes more than one shot. And there will be nights when Finley misses, too.

He did in his last game for the Mavericks. Then, in Game 6 against Phoenix last spring, Finley played more than 40 minutes, yet ended with seven points on 2-of-10 shooting.

Wonder why Mark Cuban paid Finley's way out of town? Such a last impression can have that effect.

That said, no one was surprised by what Finley did Tuesday. Then he put together an 11-point fourth quarter, and the shot chart was classic Finley. Three long jumpers preceded a 3-pointer. And when he finally missed, Tim Duncan rebounded, Finley cut to the basket and Duncan gave it back to him.

"We have an inside player here," Finley said afterward when asked the difference between the Spurs and Dallas.

This was part of the dream that Finley had last summer. Duncan, similar in personality and style, influenced his decision as much as anyone. And here Duncan was, making the game so easy, along with playmakers Ginobili and Tony Parker, sharing and creating.

Finley talked about this afterward, standing in a suit and tie. And standing on the opposite end of the locker room, dressed the same way, was Bowen. Bowen's outfit added an accessory this night (another ring). Otherwise, they looked like men from the same law firm.

This wardrobe is nothing new for them. The dress code didn't change a thing for them.

But before this season, they were corporate enemies. Finley squared off in a game two seasons ago, joining the anti-Bowen campaign. So when Finley replaced Bowen early Tuesday and then took his minutes late, wasn't this a slap?

After all, Bowen was essential in the 2005 playoffs against Denver. Who else could slow Carmelo Anthony? Yet on the same night he got his second ring, Bowen had to sit.

"I think you have to take responsibility," Bowen said afterward, "and I didn't come out the way I have to. Carmelo got a couple of quick baskets, and regardless of who was on this team, I would have been snatched. Then Mike did a great job, and he brought us something we were lacking last year. Hey, why would you take him out?"

It's easy to say, but not to accept. Somewhere inside of Bowen there were likely less noble, more human feelings.

But this is how these Spurs will have to react, and how Miami, for example, will be pressed to. They will have to sacrifice and be professional, and Tuesday was Bowen's turn.

The dream?

This is what Finley came for.

Doc Jerome
11-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Bruce Bowen is a class act and I would expect nothing less from him than to be a professional, and the same goes for Finley.

TDMVPDPOY
11-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Why is this guy tryin to stir shit for??

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Quality human beings on a winning team without any ego's, rapists, and thugs is boring. But I love it!

Funny considering what Spurs fans used to think about NVE.

T Park
11-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Bishop Ryan,

Van Exel is no saint, in college he beat a guy near death.

Shoved referees and was a malcontent pretty much.

It seems though, that he has grown up.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-04-2005, 11:13 AM
The thing with a guy like VanX, you have to hope that time has tempered some of the more undesirable elements of his personality but at the same time you want to make sure he doesn't lose any of that killer instinct. It's a tough thing to balance but since we're in the business of winning championships, I'll deal with some attitude as long as he drops in a few game turning threes and a couple of game winning threes.

T Park
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
^^^ same attitude you had to have with a guy like Glenn Robinson and Stephen Jackson.

thispego
11-04-2005, 11:25 AM
yes yes yes, we've allll heard the Van Exel college fight story, big deal

the only thing that brought out the worst in VX was losing, he wont have that problem here

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Nah, I just think that when a player becomes a Spur he's magically turned into a saint in San Antonio de Bexar.

ShoogarBear
11-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Nah, I just think that when a player becomes a Spur he's magically turned into a saint in San Antonio de Bexar.

Until he's about to be traded . . . :)

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Until he's about to be traded . . . :)

Yep. Then it's either a run-in at a local pick up game that's blown out of proportion or an errant pass or a little emotion or a sick wife and kid or Mohammadism that makes a player persona non grata.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Guys, I'm still not sold on Finley. Game 1 was a great performance, no doubt. But tonight's game will be Finley's real coming out party. Revenge baby.

If he shows up, plays hard, rotates well, etc...just the basics....then he's absolved of all former sins against the Spurs Nation....but if he decides to do some flashy stuff too, that would be nice :)

Notorious H.O.P.
11-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Guys, I'm still not sold on Finley. Game 1 was a great performance, no doubt. But tonight's game will be Finley's real coming out party. Revenge baby.

What does Finley have against the Cavs or LeBron? :hat

I think tomorrow nights game is a better measuring stick, especially in Dallas.

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2005, 12:34 PM
All the Spurs really need from Finley is to be a scoring threat in the late 3rd/early 4th. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-04-2005, 12:36 PM
What does Finley have against the Cavs or LeBron? :hat

I think tomorrow nights game is a better measuring stick, especially in Dallas.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH where the fuck is my head? I guess up my ass.

I thought we played Mavericks tonight, which is why i said that.
So...i guess his real test will be tommorow then.

My mistake.

Mavs<Spurs
11-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Bishop Ryan,

Van Exel is no saint, in college he beat a guy near death.

Shoved referees and was a malcontent pretty much.

It seems though, that he has grown up.

That's scary. This is for real, TPark?

What happened?

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
T Park's right. I mean the guy's shady looking. After all, he's black...

Joepa
11-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Sometimes you need attitude for a team to be dominant.

T Park
11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
That's scary. This is for real, TPark?

What happened

Back in college at Cincinatti he beat a guy pretty bad.

It was college. Weve all done stupid shit in college, so im not that big on it.
But Im not gonna think the guy is David Robinson.

T Park's right. I mean the guy's shady looking. After all, he's black...

Yes, because Marcus, I do hate all black people.

Find someone else to stalk for god sake.

You keep trying to find something on me, but uh, lets see, youve been wrong.

I hate black people.
I employ illegals.

You keep spreading these lies, and frankly, Im sick of it.

Stop it, or Ill find legal ways to stop it, Sir.

rl64tx
11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
ummmmmm.... i'm hungry again... :elephant

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/rl64tx/goo014.jpg

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM

I hate black people.
I employ illegals.

Go for it. I don't even know what your name is nor whatever name you do business under. Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass. If someone wants to tell me it's illegal to type on the internets that "T Park hates blacks and hires illegals" then by all means turn me into the internets police.

Useruser666
11-04-2005, 05:18 PM
ummmmmm.... i'm hungry again....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/rl64tx/goo014.jpg

That's it, I'm going on a diet! :pctoss

Marcus Bryant
11-04-2005, 05:19 PM
If that isn't a gas face I don't know what is.

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Back in college at Cincinatti he beat a guy pretty bad.

It was college. Weve all done stupid shit in college, so im not that big on it.
But Im not gonna think the guy is David Robinson.

I hate black people.
I employ illegals.

:lmao

nice to start the weekend with a good laugh!

T-Park is so owned by Marcus his grandkid's grandkids will belong to him...:lol