PDA

View Full Version : Is It Worth Losing IV To Keep Derozan?

Spurtacular
02-16-2020, 05:10 PM
It's becoming clear to me that besides Gregg, this is the albatross that will hinder IV from developing into the cornerstone of this franchise.

SpursDynasty85
02-16-2020, 05:51 PM
It's becoming clear to me that besides Gregg, this is the albatross that will hinder IV from developing into the cornerstone of this franchise.

he's getting plenty of minutes now. belinelli over Carrol is the frustrating thing more than not. Lonnie has plenty of time to learn right now and he'll get his shot next year to take Bryn or Derozan's spot next year.

Spurtacular
02-16-2020, 07:57 PM
he's getting plenty of minutes now. belinelli over Carrol is the frustrating thing more than not. Lonnie has plenty of time to learn right now and he'll get his shot next year to take Bryn or Derozan's spot next year.

Short term, let's hope you're right. Long term, Spurs can't be keeping DDR past 2021; that or Pop needs to figure out how to be getting IV 35 minutes a game.

K...
02-16-2020, 08:01 PM
why would they game plan over something not in their control? if they wanted to extend derozan, they have the chance to. Also derozan only stays as long as pop stays and i don't know if the Front office knows if pop is staying or going yet.

Chinook
02-16-2020, 08:51 PM
Should be playing both and not playing Forbes.

Spurtacular
02-16-2020, 08:53 PM
Should be playing both and not playing Forbes.

Agreed. I'm just lending credence to some posters' contention that LMA, DDR, IV don't work in a lineup together.

tholdren
02-16-2020, 09:01 PM
Yes and no. Lonnie will never be better than derozan. The nba will continue to deteriorate so stats can argue he is/will be. This is the trend of the NBA

Spurtacular
02-16-2020, 09:03 PM
why would they game plan over something not in their control?

They have influence. Keeping DDR makes IV not the centerpiece that he should be to make him feel valued.

tholdren
02-16-2020, 09:05 PM
They have influence. Keeping DDR makes IV not the centerpiece that he should be to make him feel valued.

So if you're a below average player with 0 bbiq, you play 20 mpg and ca t outplay Forbes or marco you feel entitled?

Chinook
02-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Agreed. I'm just lending credence to some posters' contention that LMA, DDR, IV don't work in a lineup together.

Walker is playing too passively right now. It's at its worst with LMA and DeRozan on the court, but it's not great with White and Gay either. He can go stretches of possessions without touching the ball for more than a quick swing. Dude needs to play more like Forbes on offense. Bryn has no issue getting touches with the starters because he's aggressive both with and without the ball. Lonnie needs to be the same way, hunting for open spots and driving to score rather than to pass. That's the kinda stuff Pop needs to be in Walker's ear about, not about him working on his corner-three so he can space the floor for a Gay post-up.

tholdren
02-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Walker is playing too passively right now. It's at its worst with LMA and DeRozan on the court, but it's not great with White and Gay either. He can go stretches of possessions without touching the ball for more than a quick swing. Dude needs to play more like Forbes on offense. Bryn has no issue getting touches with the starters because he's aggressive both with and without the ball. Lonnie needs to be the same way, hunting for open spots and driving to score rather than to pass. That's the kinda stuff Pop needs to be in Walker's ear about, not about him working on his corner-three so he can space the floor for a Gay post-up.

First he sucks. Second he sucks

Spurtacular
02-16-2020, 09:09 PM

IV receives negative reinforcement; Forbes receive positive reinforcement. The passivity is a hundred percent a Gregg issue.

Chinook
02-16-2020, 09:10 PM
First he sucks. Second he sucks.

Okay, but third:

Truth4sale$
02-16-2020, 09:39 PM
Popovich is trying to bring out the best in Walker. He cant give him the starting spot over Forbes and DeRozan. He has to TAKE it! He has been too inconsistent. It will be even tougher next year for Walker when Keldon Johnson arrives, he has the "Dog" in him.

JeffDuncan
02-16-2020, 11:55 PM
Constantly trying to pit Spurs players against each other is just stupid.

tbdog
02-17-2020, 12:16 AM

It worked for Green and Splitter for example.

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 03:35 AM

Ignoring the reality that players aren't just going to sit and be Pop's bitch for years on end is stupid. IV knows he'd be much more valued on many other teams.

Prime BEEF
02-17-2020, 09:15 AM
Ignoring the reality that players aren't just going to sit and be Pop's bitch for years on end is stupid. IV knows he'd be much more valued on many other teams.
Until pop leaves, know player is going to want to stay with the spurs unless they are overpaid

Dejounte
02-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Lonnie is garbage and his fans overrate his potential

tholdren
02-17-2020, 04:42 PM
IV receives negative reinforcement; Forbes receive positive reinforcement. The passivity is a hundred percent a Gregg issue.

Lol. All hairdo has to do is outplay Forbes. He never does. The end.

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Lol. All hairdo has to do is outplay Forbes. He never does. The end.

:lol If you think for a second that Forbes is the better player.

cd98
02-17-2020, 05:13 PM
Best case for Lonnie is to get almost as good as DeRozen. That would be a huge win for the Spurs. But I don't think he'll ever be as good as DeRozen.

sasaint
02-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Best case for Lonnie is to get almost as good as DeRozen. That would be a huge win for the Spurs. But I don't think he'll ever be as good as DeRozen.

Doesn’t seem very worthwhile to compare Lonnie and Dumbmar. Two completely different players. At this point Lonnie relies completely on his quickness and athletic ability, and he is more willing to shoot the 3.

sasaint
02-17-2020, 05:31 PM
A better question is: Would it be worth losing Lonnie to get rid of Dumbmar?

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 05:37 PM
A better question is: Would it be worth losing Lonnie to get rid of Dumbmar?

That's a terrible question, tbh.

sasaint
02-17-2020, 06:13 PM
That's a terrible question, tbh.

Depends on the return. Getting rid of Lonnie and keeping Dumbmar is what is terrible.

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 06:15 PM
Depends on the return. Getting rid of Lonnie and keeping Dumbmar is what is terrible.

Nobody is giving up an all star / first rounder for DDR and IV, who will be an all star.

jjktkk
02-17-2020, 06:23 PM

And you know this how?

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 06:31 PM
And you know this how?

Observation

sasaint
02-17-2020, 06:32 PM
Nobody is giving up an all star / first rounder for DDR and IV, who will be an all star.

Are you saying that nobody would give up an all-star OR a first rounder, or are you saying nobody will give up an all-star AND a first rounder?

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Are you saying that nobody would give up an all-star OR a first rounder, or are you saying nobody will give up an all-star AND a first rounder?

Probably either, tbh.

DDR is a $27 million-dollar player who is far from 3 and D. Spurs will have to make concessions on any deal involving him. As for IV, you don't sell low on a future all star.

I get that you're saying that IV could sweeten the pot; but I just don't know what worthwhile return you think you're going to get.

KobesAchilles
02-17-2020, 06:42 PM
One is putting up All Star/All NBA numbers while the other can’t even beat out Marco Belinelli :lol

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 06:56 PM
One is putting up All Star/All NBA numbers while the other can’t even beat out Marco Belinelli :lol

:cry Forbes is better than IV
:cry Bellinelli is better than IV

:lol Trolls don't believe this sh**. Not for one f'ing second!

sasaint
02-17-2020, 06:57 PM
Probably either, tbh.

DDR is a $27 million-dollar player who is far from 3 and D. Spurs will have to make concessions on any deal involving him. As for IV, you don't sell low on a future all star.

I get that you're saying that IV could sweeten the pot; but I just don't know what worthwhile return you think you're going to get.

The OP asked if it would be worth getting rid of Lonnie to keep Dumbmar. I take it we are agreed that we would definitely answer “No” to that. Maybe we are in agreement that it would be best for the Spurs not to keep Dumbmar at all... Do we agree that if you can move Dumbmar and keep Lonnie that that would be optimal? So what is the best way to divest ourselves of Dumbmar? I am not advocating sweetening just any deal for Dumbmar. But your argument against including Lonnie seems to be based on an assumption that no team sees him as an all-star - as you do.

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 07:00 PM
The OP asked if it would be worth getting rid of Lonnie to keep Dumbmar. I take it we are agreed that we would definitely answer “No” to that. Maybe we are in agreement that it would be best for the Spurs not to keep Dumbmar at all... Do we agree that if you can move Dumbmar and keep Lonnie that that would be optimal? So what is the best way to divest ourselves of Dumbmar? I am not advocating sweetening just any deal for Dumbmar. But your argument against including Lonnie seems to be based on an assumption that no team sees him as an all-star - as you do.

If DDR is a true impedement to IV getting minutes, then I'm all for moving him. If IV can get 30-35 mpg with him here, then I'm relatively fine with keeping DDR.

K...
02-17-2020, 10:32 PM

Just because you disagree with the coaching strategy doesn't mean you can't acknowledge the attempts to develop talent

Spurtacular
02-17-2020, 10:35 PM
Just because you disagree with the coaching strategy doesn't mean you can't acknowledge the attempts to develop talent

When Walker does emerge in X time, the butt lickers will give Pop credit.
Play the man. Sitting him out for Forbes is BS.

tholdren
02-17-2020, 10:41 PM

Lolol

look_at_g_shred
02-17-2020, 10:54 PM
What kind of shit is this?

rudwick
02-17-2020, 10:58 PM
DDR is great at the offense that used to win in the NBA. Baskets are 3 points now and he does not make them or play defense. If he can learn to shoot 3s he might be worth something. Until then he is a bad contract.
Lonnie could develop into a valuable player.

paperboy77
02-17-2020, 11:58 PM
Might as well . I don’t think PATFO give a shit. Would anyone be shocked?

XDT76
02-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Yes, play Forbes anything more than a short spurt as a gunner is bullshit, but you cannot say sitting Lonnie has no impact on him at all at least he is showing very good defence now whenever he is playing. Something he had never shown even in the G league and Summer league, but the downside seems to be Lonnie losing his offensive edge.

Spurtacular
02-18-2020, 05:17 PM
Yes, play Forbes anything more than a short spurt as a gunner is bullshit, but you cannot say sitting Lonnie has no impact on him at all at least he is showing very good defence now whenever he is playing. Something he had never shown even in the G league and Summer league, but the downside seems to be Lonnie losing his offensive edge.

FFS, IV on his worst day is still a ton better on D than Forbes.

I give Pop credit if he's tanking; but I don't think that's what he's doing.

XDT76
02-18-2020, 06:50 PM
FFS, IV on his worst day is still a ton better on D than Forbes.

I give Pop credit if he's tanking; but I don't think that's what he's doing.

Of course, D and Forbes shouldn't even be in the same sentence. I am saying Lonnie's D had improved, nowadays I think even his own assistants do not know what he is doing. The only way for him to have any credit is he purposely fk this season so that whoever took over next season would have a easier time, but it doesn't seems to be the case. I think 2014 had damaged him so much that he thinks he can just plug any player and have a good result, but that 2014 team had good to very good 2 way players all around.

KobesAchilles
02-18-2020, 06:54 PM

But Pop does...

Prose
02-20-2020, 02:31 AM
Hell fucking no

Kobe'sAchilles
02-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Some bullshit article on ESPN just said that Demar is expected to opt in to his contract next year. So I guess that's that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-20-2020, 01:37 PM
No.

/lockthread

poopbox
02-20-2020, 02:28 PM

He needs to just hoover around the 3 point line, jacking up the first semi open look he gets, while hardly ever threatening the defense from anywhere else or getting to the line for freethrows, or getting an assist, or really doing anything else but hitting wide open catch and shoot 3s?

A guy who attempts around 1 freethrow a game is "aggressive with the ball"?

itzsoweezee
02-20-2020, 02:34 PM
Some bullshit article on ESPN just said that Demar is expected to opt in to his contract next year. So I guess that's that.

Awesome! Another year of this unwatchable mess of a roster.

Spurtacular
02-20-2020, 06:26 PM

Was anyone expecting him to pass on $27 million?

spurs10
02-20-2020, 06:34 PM
Was anyone expecting him to pass on $27 million?No to the original question and no on the $27 million. Walker needs to be a priority because, as you've said, he's a future all-star. DDR ain't getting that check elsewhere.

XDT76
02-21-2020, 06:28 AM
Was anyone expecting him to pass on $27 million?

Depending on how his agent advise him, he has a higher chance to get a better long term in this upcoming off-season. Unless he believe he commands a higher value than the FAs in the next off season.

look_at_g_shred
02-21-2020, 10:01 AM
Youth Movement:
DJ
KJ
White
IV4
Luka
2020 Draft Pick
Quindarry

T_Carter
02-21-2020, 10:21 AM
Whoever wrote that article has no idea what they are talking about. Demar is not staying LMAO.

Collins21
02-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Whoever wrote that article has no idea what they are talking about. Demar is not staying LMAO.

Are saying that you have inside information? I hope so because I have credible sources and heresy that says otherwise.

tholdren
02-22-2020, 12:04 AM
Lol walker fans

Spurtacular
02-22-2020, 03:35 AM
Depending on how his agent advise him, he has a higher chance to get a better long term in this upcoming off-season. Unless he believe he commands a higher value than the FAs in the next off season.

Technically, he is still "prime" and could see this as his best chance at one last monster contract and opt out.

Let's hope so (assuming the Spurs aren't the ones stupid enough to give it to him).

Rosewood
02-22-2020, 09:40 AM
White/Murray/Walker are the only reasons to be excited about the next 5 years of this team.

Should've traded both our "stars" for picks or young talent. Fuck a good return, we are going NO WHERE with these two "leading" the team.

tholdren
02-23-2020, 08:07 PM
White/Murray/Walker are the only reasons to be excited about the next 5 years of this team.

Should've traded both our "stars" for picks or young talent. Fuck a good return, we are going NO WHERE with these two "leading" the team.

If you like 2 of those players why even watch basketball. Traveling no handles no courtvision dumb as rocks. Hut if you like fast break dunks this crew is 4 u