PDA

View Full Version : The Outsider - HBO

SpursforSix
02-18-2020, 10:30 AM
Can't search for where this was brought up but started it last night and watched Episodes 1-6.
Really enjoying it. Read the book a while back and I think this is as good or better.

8/10 so far. Some might find it slow but I think it moves on well enough and the cast is great.

leemajors
02-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Can't search for where this was brought up but started it last night and watched Episodes 1-6.
Really enjoying it. Read the book a while back and I think this is as good or better.

8/10 so far. Some might find it slow but I think it moves on well enough and the cast is great.

Yeah I am really enjoying it, but I think I liked the location of the book better and some of the plot elements because of the location. I also like any mention of ka. But I am surprised how good the adaptation is.

tenbeersbold
02-18-2020, 12:28 PM
Didn't read the books but dreadlock girl put me off the series,annoying ass character

SpursforSix
02-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Didn't read the books but dreadlock girl put me off the series,annoying ass character

lol. "dreadlock" girl.

Anyway, I think she's pretty great for the role.

leemajors
02-18-2020, 02:05 PM
lol. "dreadlock" girl.

Anyway, I think she's pretty great for the role.

Yeah the actress great, I forgot Holly was in this and her character from Mr Mercedes is excellent

SnakeBoy
02-18-2020, 08:16 PM
Just got caught up on this last night. Sometimes a bit slow but very good. Kind of a true detective meets supernatural show

Spurtacular
02-18-2020, 09:47 PM
I watched the first five minutes only so far. But given that it's Jason Bateman, I'll be finishing the season whenever I get around to it.

SpursforSix
02-19-2020, 12:44 AM
Just got caught up on this last night. Sometimes a bit slow but very good. Kind of a true detective meets supernatural show

I thought the exact same thing for the first few episodes. Felt like True Detective. Something about the cinematography and score. Ominous.

SpursforSix
02-19-2020, 12:45 AM
I watched the first five minutes only so far. But given that it's Jason Bateman, I'll be finishing the season whenever I get around to it.

lol

SnakeBoy
02-19-2020, 02:07 AM
lol

If that lol is for the reason I think then :lol

BD24
02-28-2020, 11:37 AM
lol
:lol

The first 4 or 5 episodes were good. I have started losing interest down the stretch though

SpursforSix
02-28-2020, 02:10 PM
:lol

The first 4 or 5 episodes were good. I have started losing interest down the stretch though

It has gotten slower but I'm still enjoying it. Only a couple more episodes left.

Spurtacular
02-28-2020, 06:36 PM
lol

Didn't mean it as a dis. I actually like Jason Bateman. But this show just seems so generic from the little I've seen. I haven't been able to get into it yet.

SpursforSix
02-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Didn't mean it as a dis. I actually like Jason Bateman. But this show just seems so generic from the little I've seen. I haven't been able to get into it yet.

I like Bateman as well. He’s fantastic in this. Like Ozark and the Gift, etc., he’s perfect as the normal dad/husband where something goes very wrong. He directed one or two of the episodes as well.

Spurtacular
02-28-2020, 06:48 PM
I like Bateman as well. He’s fantastic in this. Like Ozark and the Gift, etc., he’s perfect as the normal dad/husband where something goes very wrong. He directed one or two of the episodes as well.

True. I'm not feeling the detective. Seems like a miss on casting. He's the pivotal character; and he just seems like a schmuck to me.

SpursforSix
02-28-2020, 06:55 PM
True. I'm not feeling the detective. Seems like a miss on casting. He's the pivotal character; and he just seems like a schmuck to me.

I think he’s all right. Nothing special. He was good as Danny in Bloodlines.

chunticakes
02-29-2020, 12:58 PM

THIS.

leemajors
03-04-2020, 01:18 PM
The 9th episode was great and the finale preview also looks good. I don't think Holly is annoying at all. The cop and his wife are way more annoying.

SpursforSix
03-04-2020, 01:34 PM
The 9th episode was great and the finale preview also looks good. I don't think Holly is annoying at all. The cop and his wife are way more annoying.

His wife for sure. I've never liked that actress. Mare Winningham.

SnakeBoy
03-05-2020, 06:10 PM

I fell asleep pretty quick tbh. Was it boring or was I just tired?

Spurtacular
03-06-2020, 08:13 PM

He's fairly mediocre. And this tough guy cop stuff is a bit cringey at times. There was one scene with him and some old relative or friend lady in which he was just being 'vulnerable' and the over-acting was really bad.

johnsmith
03-11-2020, 08:27 PM
We really enjoyed this and I personally think Ben Mendohlson was, as usual, phenomenal in the role. The last scene he was in with his wife where he sort of laughed and cried at the same time was some incredible acting.

As for the plot....very typical Stephen king, but I thought it was pretty damn good. My prediction if there is a season 2 is that.....spoilers ahead..... the Holly in the post credits scene is the actual Holly and for quite some time now we’ve been watching another Cuco (or something). Logic goes that she was listening to music (which she says she hated earlier in the season), she sees that dude in the mirror (meaning Cuco is in her head), she googles the Terry Maitland case as though she wasn’t sure about it at all, and earlier in the cave, the Cuco version actually asks “who’s Terry”. Plus she had a cut on her arm.

My thoughts anyway....most likely wrong, but never know.

Reck
03-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Started watching last night. Strong start.

I expect a dip in storytelling later on as usual but as long as is not in Westword season 2 proportion, I'll enjoy it.

Spurminator
03-11-2020, 09:14 PM
Typical Stephen King. Compelling premise that sucks you in, pretty good ride until the third act when it all falls apart.

Spurtacular
03-11-2020, 09:21 PM
I'm halfway through episode 9. It got really good there for a few episodes. Now it feels like it's going to get dragged out from here.

johnsmith
03-11-2020, 09:58 PM
I'm halfway through episode 9. It got really good there for a few episodes. Now it feels like it's going to get dragged out from here.

End of 9 and beginning of 10, while ridiculous, is pretty entertaining

Reck
03-12-2020, 11:52 PM
I expect a dip in storytelling later on as usual.

So yeah the dip has started. Once they shifted from Meldensohn to the black chick the story has become quite draggy.

Spurtacular
03-13-2020, 12:30 AM
The blown up car in the shootout; that's some Myth Busters sh** right there.

Spurtacular
03-14-2020, 03:24 AM
I guess it held me over for other stuff like 'Ozark' Season 3.

Reck
03-14-2020, 11:06 PM
The last two episodes were utter trash.

Everyone just became a dumbass and got themselves killed. HBO has fallen into this shitty trend where they make a show that’s 90% excellent and then completely self destruct in the last 10%.

chunticakes
03-15-2020, 11:04 AM
Typical Stephen King. Compelling premise that sucks you in, pretty good ride until the third act when it all falls apart.

This. After the first few episodes the show went downhill fast.

Capt Bringdown
03-16-2020, 08:55 AM
Good actors in an typically thin and vapid Stephen King vehicle.
The Holly character was another example of a Magical Negro -->> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro)

In the cinema of the United States, the Magical Negro is a supporting stock character who comes to the aid of white protagonists in a film. Magical Negro characters, who often possess special insight or mystical powers, have long been a tradition in American fiction. He or she usually has some sort of magical power, "rather vaguely defined but not the sort of thing one typically encounters." The character is patient and wise, often dispensing various words of wisdom, and is "closer to the earth".The Magical Negro stereotype serves as a plot device to help the white protagonist get out of trouble, typically through helping the white character recognize his own faults and overcome them and teaching them to be a better person. Although the character may have magical powers, the "magic is ostensibly directed toward helping and enlightening a white male character"

SnakeBoy
03-16-2020, 04:40 PM
After watching the series all I can say is it's forgettable. Seriously I can't remember much about it.