PDA

View Full Version : Filling Out the Team

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 11:13 AM
When are we, like, gonna fill out our team?

Signed Players:

Tim Duncan
Bruce Bowen
Rasho Nesterovic
Tony Parker
Emanuel Ginobili
Malik Rose

Unsigned Players:

Stephen Jackson
Speedy Claxton
Kevin Willis
Steve Kerr
Danny Ferry
Steve Smith
Mengke Bateer

We have approximately 7 more signings to make.

:cooldevil

MannyIsGod
07-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Well , I think out of those guys, Kerr and Willis are locks to be back, as is Jax barring a sign and trade.

If the spurs can't find anyone esle to give money to who is worth it, I could see speedy coming back of course.

Baterr is gone, as is smith. Ferry MIGHT come back, but i doubt it.

The signing period is 2 days old for crying outloud.

mattyc2422
07-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Good thread.

You can scratch Bateers name off the list too.

I believe that Jackson, Willis and Kerr are certainties to be signed. I'd love to sign Claxton, but by all accounts, he is heading elsewhere.

We need a backup PG and the stocks are running thin. Besides Claxton, buts like Lue and Bimbo Coles could be looked at, or maybe Eddie Gill from our Summer League.

Devin Brown seems to be essentially assured of a spot.

Someone like Udonis Haslem could be a look in for a backup backup backup big man, but there are also vets out there availible.

Keeping in true Spurs tradition, some veteran shooters will probably be looked at late into the FA period. Piatkowski and J. Barry come to mind.

It'll be interesting to see if we go in with a full roster with 3 IL spots filled. I doubt it.

spurster
07-18-2003, 11:27 AM
I suppose the Spurs want to see if they can swing something with their cap space before signing SJax and min players.

kohai
07-18-2003, 11:30 AM
I think you can scratch Bateer off of your list. He was reported to either BE signing, or having already signed with Toronto.

Spurs seem resigned to having Speedy gone. Ferry was also making retirement noises, IIRC. Kerr, Willis and Jack all want to return, as far as I've seen. That leaves three hard roster spots, plus perhaps an IR spot. Devin Brown will probably make the squad and the active roster. Looks like he really wants to be here, as he turned down NBA employment last spring after he won NBDL player of the year, because it would have locked him to that team this year and he didn't want that. There may be another player or two from the summer league with a chance, plus a FA or two.

mattyc2422
07-18-2003, 11:36 AM
I guess we can't rule out guys in our RMR team like Mikki Moore and Ademola Okulaja for a potential spot on the roster...
Hard to judge based on Summer League, but they seem talented enough.

KoriEllis
07-18-2003, 12:21 PM
The roster may be filled out with:

Willis
Kerr
Jackson
Horry
Pippen
Devin Brown
??

Bateer signed a 2 year deal with Toronto last night.

Horry is waiting for the Spurs to figure out what else they are doing before they decide if there's a place for him. Pippen wants a multi-year deal, but the Spurs only want to offer him one year. If they can work that out, he may end up in the Silver & Black. Devin Brown is almost a shoe-in to make the roster.

Solid D
07-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Are we there yet?

http://www.funnypetphotos.com/g/pro/are_we_there_yet.jpg

Cassius Clay
07-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Kerr and Willis will be back. As of now the Spurs seem to be on track to re-upping SJax barring a trade so you have...

Kerr
Willis
Rose
SJax or Ginobili

...on the bench.

Hopefully they will be adding Horry to that. If they could get a Pippen or Piatkowski that would be great. A quality backup PG would be the icing on the cake. It might be wise to get a guy who can come in and put points on the board like a Voshon Lenard. Jon Barry is still available as far as I know.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Players last year and this year (hopefully)

David Robinson - Rasho Nesterovic

Speedy Claxton - Eddie Gill or Vlad Bogojevic (I'd like to see Greer get some more burn in Boston - his production per minute is quite high)

Danny Ferry - Robert Horry or Al Harrington, maybe Waltah McCarty

Steve Smith - Scottie Pippen or Devin Brown

Mengke Bateer - Udonis Haslem or Kaspars Kambala or Mikki Moore

I'm not high on a big trade for Spree right now unless we also got Kurt Thomas for Malik.

In addition, we're going to be WAY under the tax threshold this year regardless, so there's no reason not to carry the full 15-man roster this year.

Admiral
07-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Danny Ferry - Robert Horry or Al Harrington, maybe Waltah McCarty -ChumpDumper

I would really like to obtain Harrington. Is he a free agent, and if so how much would he cost us? He's only 23 and has a ton of potential.

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 02:54 PM
I think we should sign and retain Jackson.

I agree that Kerr and Willis will be re-signed.

I wonder if they will be the backup's backups like last season, or will they be the third options off the bench behind better options like Piatkowski or Haywood.

I wanted to draft Jamal Sampson. What's his deal?

I wouldn't mind upgrading Ferry to Horry, but I think Horry deserves better than the minutes Ferry received last season.

Guys like D. Armstrong and J. Barry would be terrific, but they are integral 6th men to their current teams and I would be surprised to see them leave.

If we have money to burn, we should re-sign Claxton. If not. look at Rafer Alston or Kenny Anderson.

Country Weeds
07-18-2003, 02:58 PM
His value is high. They should look into taking someone's problem contract in exchange for a young player and/or picks.

Croshere/Harrington
Tim Thomas/Desmond Mason
Eddie Jones/top 5 protected 1st round pick
Lorenzen Wright/Stromille Swift
Eric Dampier/Mike Dunleavy or Jason Richardson or Troy Murphy
Glenn Robinson/Jason Terry
Sprewell/Maceij Lampe

spurster
07-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Barring anything unexpected, the Spurs have a set bigman rotation (TD, Rose, Rasho), a set swingman rotation (SJax, BB, Manu), and a starting PG (Parker). Backup PG is the only spot where there are any regular minutes. Pippen can fit, but I really don't see Horry coming here for Willis minutes or less.

The rest will be players who come in knowing that they won't get a lot of minutes unless there are injuries. This includes vets willing to take the min (think Willis, Kerr, and Ferry), and young, athletic players that need quite a bit of work (think Devin Brown and Eddie Gill).

ChumpDumper
07-18-2003, 02:59 PM
I would really like to obtain Harrington. Is he a free agent, and if so how much would he cost us? He's only 23 and has a ton of potential.In my dream, we trade Speedy, a pick and some cap space for him.

I wouldn't mind upgrading Ferry to Horry, but I think Horry deserves better than the minutes Ferry received last season.He'd get a few more minutes -- probably at Malik's expense. He definitely needs to play less than he did last year.
Guys like D. Armstrong and J. Barry would be terrific, but they are integral 6th men to their current teams and I would be surprised to see them leave.Agreed, but at least DA sounds pissed about the Magic's talking up Speedy.
If we have money to burn, we should re-sign Claxton.Roger that.

Cassius Clay
07-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Actually I think a situation in which Horry is a spot sub and not a role player playing heavy minutes might appeal to him. And of course the Spurs do have the benefit of SA's close proximity to Houston.

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Is:

Speedy > D. Armstrong

?

Question.

Cassius Clay
07-18-2003, 03:41 PM
For the Spurs' purposes that might be "=".

MannyIsGod
07-18-2003, 03:41 PM
I think they are compareable, DA > Speedy right now, but also alot older and subject to injuries.

By the middle of the season that will flop around,if its not already flopped.

I found it intersting how bad DA took it when someone called Speedy a young DA, he said that speedy had not come close to accomplishing what he had in this leauge. And while I agree with that, wtf did DA do early in his career? nothing! I just found it an Odd set of comments, but I am a huge DA fan. I love his D and work ethic.

I honestly feel on our team in our role, DA would be better at this point, butI don't think he's ready to accept taht role.

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 03:46 PM
I must remark once again that Claxton's shot was incredibly improved last year. I remember when he was with Philly, they didn't want him because his shot sucked.

Claxton shot like 55% from the field in the playoffs.

If Parke ris "1", then Claxton is "1A".

I think he would be an important offseason signing for the Spurs.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Well, I think his injuries still have to be a concern. I think alot is on Speedy as well, I think he wants a stater role, and with Tony Parker star budding here , I think the situation is more ideal to someone who wants to play limited minutes, not someone who wants to compete for the job.

scott
07-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Speedy wants to return here to continue his backup role. Not much we can do about that but move on.

Speedy is one of the top backup 1s in the league, and could be a starter on more than a couple teams. Since we don't really have the opportunity to bring Speedy back (or so it seems), we really shouldn't concern ourselves with "Is Whoever > Speedy?"

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 04:01 PM
scott, please name the team that has more money than us to offer Speedy. While you're at it, which team has promised Speedy a starting role?

For the money, I;d rather have Speedy than all the free agent PGs left out there aside from Arenas.

junglespur
07-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Speedy is a top backup PG but will be one of the league's poorer starting PGs (in NY or Wash or wherever).

Reminds me of a better Howard Eisley, who was a stud as a backup to Stockton in Utah but has struggled when put into the drivers seat himself... Still, IMO Speedy did a great job for us and deserves the chance to start now.

I do wonder if Pop and RC would have kept Barbosa instead of trading him if they knew then what they know now (no JKidd; Speedy likely leaving; thin market for experienced, non-headcase backup PGs)... He would have been a nice fit as a talented young sparkplug backup PG.

scott
07-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Speedy isn't coming back Ghost, get over it.

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Great comeback, scott. Thanks for leaving the conversation.

Speedy should be made a priority signing, because he won't start for any of his current suitors and we have more money than any of them anyway.

Whottt
07-18-2003, 04:51 PM
With regards to Horry..

The minutes are unimportant to him..$ will talk, as will being close to his home.

Horry would be happy playing 1 second per game as long as we don't leave him on the bench when a clutch shot is needed.

And IMO the minutes won't be a problem..Pop will make a rotation as deep as he can get away with and still field an effective team...if he has 12 guys that can contribute every night, he will have a 12 man rotation.

Pop's rotation plans are one of his best skills as a coach..unfortunately he gets little too set in his ways with them sometimes.

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 04:57 PM
I am warming up to the Horry idea. Perhaps keeping his minutes at Ferry's amount or a little more will help him keep his legs for the playoffs.

gospurs21
07-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Gotta go with GW on this one.

I think next to retaining Jax, Speedy now becomes the most important FA signing.

GW,
How high would you go though?

I am not sure I would offer more than MLE at 3 years with team option for 3rd year. What with the injuries and other teams we are competing with.

Go Spurs...

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 05:05 PM
I would do this, gospurs — 1 more year or $1 more than the higherts offer he gets from other teams.

I wouldn't be so adamant about Speedy if there were better options out there or if we were strapped for cash.

spurster
07-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Because the Spurs are flush with money, offering Claxton an MLE-level contract is not a bad idea except that then SJax would have to be offered at least that much.

mattyc2422
07-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Yep. Sign Jackson unless a trade is availble that can dramatically improve our line up.

I wanna keep Speedy. He is the best PG on offer.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2003, 09:54 AM
too much for speedy, he's not goingto play more than 15 minutes a gam here. He wants to start, he doesn't really want to come back.

Ghost Writer
07-19-2003, 11:14 AM
That's thing thing -- where is Speedy going to start next season?

Question.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Depends on where arenas ends up, but washington, new york, orlando,and golden state are all cantidates.

Ghost Writer
07-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Those teams all covet Claxton, but will he start on those teams?

We cans till offer him the most moolah.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2003, 12:02 PM
so now your advocating spending 5 mil plus on speedy? I am not.

And if he gets offers in taht neighborhood, they won't be paying him to sit on the bench.

Why wouldn't those teams start him? Who does GS have thaty ou'd rather start than speedy? New York? Washington?

You act like its a longshot for him to have a starting job when in all reality its more likely than not.

Ghost Writer
07-21-2003, 12:19 PM
No.

I think that our money may prove to be more attractive than a starting job, Manny. Of course I could be mistaken if Claxton really values more playing time.

Who should we spend the money on, Manny?

We whiffed on every other good free agent.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Well, if I thought it were just cut and dry about money, I honestly wouldn't mind paying him that much. You're right, he's better than most of whats out there.

That being said, I'm also not interested in starting a PG contreversy again this offseason by offering speedy that much money.

In a way, it was good that speedy was out last year, I dont' think parker would have responded well to being pushed for the job. Look how he flinched when Jkidd was almost here.

Also, if we completely strikeout on all the FA's, I'd say pack it in and if you can save 7 mil for next offseason, go for it so that you can resign Manu.

Piatkowski, Horry and boykins appear to be our targets right now. We'll see what happens, hopefully it will end soon, i'm tired of speculating and being wrong.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Love Speedy - his shot is pretty deadly now, and the night he nearly got a triple double in 3 quarters (who was that against?) was special, not to mention the Finals. However, he wants to start so he's gone.

If I'm the Knicks I'd love to have Claxton - put him with McDyess, Spree and Houston and watch them run! Barring injuries, with KThomas at centre, that's a pretty good starting 5!

Twould be nice at this stage to land Horry. He's the excellent defender we need to compliment Rasho and Kevin... and it would be poetic justice to see him landing dagger 3s FOR us for once! :lol