PDA

View Full Version : Young Voters Must Take Charge Of Future and Help Reject Prop 2

Nbadan
11-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Voters under 25 have a chance to take charge of Texas' future by rejecting Proposition 2.

THE past year has not been very empowering for young adults. Just starting to earn a living and newly eligible to vote, they have witnessed a cavalcade of events beyond their control: disasters in Asia, terrorist bombs in Europe, interminable warfare in the Middle East. At home, officials are under investigation for endangering national security.

Yet even when younger voters have real clout, they tend not to use it. The vote on Proposition 2 on the Nov. 8 ballot, a proposal that would ban gay couples' right to legally protect their families, offers young people a chance to make their influence felt.

Eighteen- to 25-year-olds vote at about half the rate of 45- to 55-year-olds, notes Rice University political scientist Bob Stein. Without home ownership, school districts and careers to worry about, the younger age group doesn't feel driven to participate. What a waste. If 18- to 25-year-olds voted their stated beliefs next month, they could show the country that Texans will not stand for bigotry.

Proposition 2 would amend the Texas Constitution to deny same-sex couples not only the right to marry, but also the right to contract any agreements that offer similar protections. On its face, this is redundant: Same-sex marriage is already illegal in Texas.

Examined closely, the proposition becomes actually ludicrous: the drafters' desire to attack unconventional relationships resulted in a proposal so sloppily written that its wording outlaws "any" compact, including marriage between a woman and man.

This amendment would do serious harm. Suddenly it will be far more difficult for Texans to exercise their wishes if they decide same-sex rights merit further thought. More urgently, the referendum's language — banning anything even "similar" to marriage — in one dismissive sweep jeopardizes the safety of children in Texas' estimated 42,912 gay families.

Raised in a culture with a divorce rate greater than 50 percent, Texas' young adults have no delusion that gay couples threaten traditional marriage. In fact, national polls show that voters under the age of 25 support legal recognition of same-sex relationships by a 3-1 margin. About two out of three voters through their mid-30s support these rights.

This year, young voters can flex an extraordinary amount of muscle. In odd-year elections such as this one, voter turnout is only about 7 percent to 10 percent. Because Texas is a disproportionately youthful state, young voters could come out at twice or three times that proportion and drive Proposition 2 into the ground.

There's not much voters can do about natural calamities, stateless terrorists or dishonest, unelected public officials. But Texas' young voters can exert amazing leverage on the home front next month. They need to vote — and show that hateful legislation is an embarrassment in 21st century Texas.

Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/3424592)

You know, some evil little devil in my mind wants me to vote "yes"on 2, just to spit in the faces of the dumb-ass group who didn't even know how to write this vile proposition correctly.

SWC Bonfire
11-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Marriage has become a joke. Gay marriage makes it even more of a joke.

JoeChalupa
11-04-2005, 09:05 AM
I already voted AGAINST this crap.

mookie2001
11-04-2005, 09:45 AM
well as gtownspur said
"Black votes are used by democrats only to further homosexual agenda"

thread finished.

Oh, Gee!!
11-04-2005, 10:25 AM
I already voted AGAINST this crap.

As you should, but the damn thing is gonna pass by a landslide. God Bless Texas.

Yonivore
11-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Force your Congressman and Senator to embrace and pass the Fair Tax Plan and this all goes away.

It's all about the money, anyway. Hell, some heterosexuals wouldn't be married if it weren't for the tax advantages and insurance.

Let marriage once again be in the sole domain of the church. That way Churches that allow homosexuals can marry homosexuals, churches that don't won't have to.

Government has no business being in the marriage business unless it is to resolve a dispute upon dissolution -- just like any other contract. Period.

I oppose the government recognition of homosexual marriage simply because of the economic impact of opening that pandora's box. I also oppose the government recognition of heterosexual marriage -- for the same reason. Unfortunately that Pandora's Box is already open and no one wants to give up the advantages it offers.

If you think poor people having babies just to receive more money from the government is rampant (and it is in some cultures and more liberal urban settings), just wait and see how many men and women all of a sudden turn gay so they can carry their friends on insurance (driving up all our insurance rates and further screwing up health care) and file a joint return (reducing federal tax receipts).

I'd be more in favor of eliminating the tax benefits of marriage altogether...period. Then, a man can marry his brother for all I care. Only God can bind two together in holy matrimony and, I suspect, only God knows which of our earthly marriage rites are truly sanctified by him.

I have my belief and others have theirs and we all choose where to worship or not to worship and, further, decide how the tenets of that faith will bind us to sacramental adherence -- let's not get the government involved by making marriage another pandering point.

Thank you and have a nice day.

mookie2001
11-04-2005, 10:49 AM
what "church" yoni?

Yonivore
11-04-2005, 10:52 AM
what "church" yoni?
I don't care -- the church of Mookie is fine. It doesn't matter because there wouldn't be any societal advantages to being married. It truly would be about the union between two people. I think I'll let God be the one to break the news to those whose marriages He doesn't recognize.

Oh, Gee!!
11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't care -- the church of Mookie is fine. It doesn't matter because there wouldn't be any societal advantages to being married. It truly would be about the union between two people. I think I'll let God be the one to break the news to those whose marriages He doesn't recognize.

Is he going to "break the news" by phone or letter?

Yonivore
11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Is he going to "break the news" by phone or letter?
Probably in person.

Useruser666
11-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Didn't Southpark cover this already?

Oh, Gee!!
11-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Probably in person.

you're too much.

Yonivore
11-04-2005, 11:26 AM
you're too much.
Yeah, I am...but, with diet and exercise I hope to shed some of that.

Oh, Gee!!
11-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I am...but, with diet and exercise I hope to shed some of that.

and perhaps a lobotomy to remove all of that right-wing propaganda that you've been brainwashed with

Yonivore
11-04-2005, 11:30 AM
and perhaps a lobotomy to remove all of that right-wing propaganda that you've been brainwashed with
So, what part of what I've said is Right-wing "propaganda?" Just curious.

Oh, Gee!!
11-04-2005, 11:34 AM
So, what part of what I've said is Right-wing "propaganda?" Just curious.

follow the link:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=109751

SpursWoman
11-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Didn't Southpark cover this already?

:lol

My egg is perfectly fine!

Vashner
11-04-2005, 12:11 PM
They should make a new name for gay unions... I mean let the gay community come up with the name. But I think "marriage" should be man and woman. I do support gay unions but they need a fancy new name for it.

Shelly
11-04-2005, 12:17 PM

My egg is perfectly fine!

Are you trying to tell us something?????

SpursWoman
11-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Yes, that I can protect my eggs from hitmen. :wow :lol :lol

Murphy
11-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Fuck Gays, ship them off to siberia

Cant_Be_Faded
11-04-2005, 12:44 PM
you are responsible for the death of Officer Anne Louis.