View Full Version : Modest Wilks returns for ring

Kori Ellis
11-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Modest Wilks returns for ring
New Cavalier excited to get championship ring
By Brian Windhorst

Beacon Journal sports writer

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/13075642.htm

SAN ANTONIO - Were there a way to measure it, there's a chance Cavaliers guard Mike Wilks would rank as one of the most modest players in the NBA.

Soft-spoken, relatively short-statured and devout, Wilks isn't unique but does rub against the stereotypes. But tonight he's going to be all about the bling.

In a moment sure to be frozen in his memory bank, Wilks will receive a world championship ring prior to the Cavs' game with the San Antonio Spurs.

Wilks was a reserve point guard with the Spurs last season, playing in 48 games and earning a piece of their NBA championship.

``I think it's going to be great,'' Wilks said. ``It's been something I've been looking forward to for awhile. I've been thinking about it ever since they measured us for them right after we won the title.''

Wilks is one of three in the Cavs' party who will be getting rings tonight. General Manager Danny Ferry was the Spurs' director of basketball operations before coming to the Cavs just days after the Spurs dispatched the Detroit Pistons in Game 7 of the NBA Finals last June. Assistant general manager Lance Blanks, who was the Spurs director of scouting and followed Ferry to Cleveland, will also be on hand to receive the hardware.

The rings contain oodles of diamonds adding up to about 2.7 carats each. The 10 returning Spurs from last year's team got their rings in a ceremony Tuesday night.

``I'll probably slide it on, admire it for awhile and then show it to my family,'' said Ferry, who won a ring as a player for the Spurs in his final NBA season in 2003. ``Then it'll go in the drawer with the other one.''

Cavs coach Mike Brown and assistant coach Hank Egan also won championship rings with the Spurs, leading NBA commissioner David Stern to joke during his visit on Wednesday that Cleveland was now like ``San Antonio-North.''

Wilks was a valuable part of the Spurs rotation during the season, but found himself the odd man out with Tony Parker as the starter and the continued development of Beno Udrih. When the Spurs signed veteran Nick Van Exel, Wilks had to look elsewhere. Ferry's influence brought him to the Cavs.

``Last season was a wonderful experience,'' Wilks said. ``Now, I'm happy to be here and I'm hoping I leave with a ring and a win.''

Damon Jones, who had 12 points in Wednesday's season-opening win over the Hornets, skipped practice Thursday with allergies but traveled with the team and is being listed as probable for tonight's game. Donyell Marshall, who had 18 points in the opener, was limited in practice after suffering a right thigh bruise. He's also likely to play. Ira Newble continues to recover from a foot strain.

angel_luv
11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I didn't realize Mikey was Cav now. It will be nice to have him back- too bad he has to lose on his ring night tho. +)

T Park
11-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Wilks was a valuable part of the Spurs rotation during the season

He was?

boutons
11-04-2005, 10:15 AM
"He was?"

It's a puff piece, facts don't matter.

====================

Anybody know about Glenn Robinson?

T Park
11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
It's a puff piece, facts don't matter.

True.

Half the people going to the game tonight probobly didn't even know Wilks was on the team last year.

angel_luv
11-04-2005, 10:39 AM
That is so mean you guys. Wilks contributed as best he could whenever he could. Don't hate!

boutons
11-04-2005, 10:46 AM
no hate at all, angie. I agree that Mike did what he could, but the article is just wrong about his contribution.

SWC Bonfire
11-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Probably could have used Wilks in the finals, but he didn't make the playoff roster...wasn't he released?

T Park
11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Wilks contributed as best he could whenever he could. Don't hate!

oh for god sake :rolleyes

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2005, 11:01 AM
He was?

Damn right he was, when Rasho went down, who do you think it was that handed out the Gatorade.

T Park
11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Train your right.

Except for Mr Pokemon, Rasho contributed alot more than Wilks ever thought he could.

Nesterovic was playing great until he got hurt against the Clippers.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I love Ferry's response. It'll just go in the drawer with the other one?

"Sweetie, I can't find my dress socks."

"Have you checked under your two world championship rings?"

angel_luv
11-04-2005, 11:47 AM
no hate at all, angie. I agree that Mike did what he could, but the article is just wrong about his contribution.

Which isn't Mike's fault.

But you are being fair enough. =)