PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are in Good Hands if Tim Duncan is the Next Head Coach

timvp
03-03-2020, 09:21 PM
-Unleashed Keldon Johnson. Even had the cojones to give him fourth quarter minutes.

-Ran a couple plays for Lonnie Walker IV.

-Recognized that Rudy Gay is a center in today's NBA and DeMar DeRozan is a power forward.

-Didn't go to the Patty Mills well over and over again late in the game.

-Never panicked and, correspondingly, team never panicked.

Just needs to play White more ... but that was impressive for TD's first try :tu

slick'81
03-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Fckn goat tbh

itzsoweezee
03-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Played conservative down the stretch and almost blew the game

ZeusWillJudge
03-03-2020, 09:23 PM
100% :tu

"Just needs to lay White more ... but that was impressive for TD's first try"

Probably smart not to go too far off script immediately. Just tweaked some obvious things. Playing Keldon made my night.

RC_Drunkford
03-03-2020, 09:25 PM
The Spurs are in good hands if Flopovich finally retires tbh. I don't give a fuck who's coaching

Chomag
03-03-2020, 09:28 PM
I have not watched every game this season but this is one of the few times that I actually have seen all of the Spurs players smiling on the court this season, the last time was when Pop got ejected...and no I'm not kidding.

slick'81
03-03-2020, 09:33 PM
Timmay!!

RC_Drunkford
03-03-2020, 09:35 PM
I have not watched every game this season but this is one of the few times that I actually have seen all of the Spurs players smiling on the court this season, the last time was when Pop got ejected...and no I'm not kidding.

nobody wants to play for Flopovich. They just don't throw him under the bus cause of his status.

Chomag
03-03-2020, 09:36 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1235028552380104704 Please take the keys from grandpa! He can no longer drive his car safely.

ginobilized
03-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Was it just me or was Bellinelli even there?
Another great move!!!!

slick'81
03-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Was it just me or was Bellinelli even there?
Another great move!!!!

He was out tbh

timtonymanu
03-03-2020, 09:40 PM
1st win I was actually happy to see in a while lol

John B
03-03-2020, 09:41 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1235029880749744128
:lol that's Pop though

Trill Clinton
03-03-2020, 09:41 PM
Yep. The Becky fanboys were getting annoying on Twitter.

UZER
03-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Timmy answers the questions professionally.

Pop answers the questions like that 16 yr old working the drive thru with all that attitude like you’re annoying him. Nobody is forcing you to work there. It’s all voluntary....Pop.

ducks
03-03-2020, 09:42 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1235029624192561153

So Tim gets credit Becky does the work

ducks
03-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Pop watching Super Tuesday result fire his ass

Taking games
Off now

sasaint
03-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Timmy answers the questions professionally.

Pop answers the questions like that 16 yr old working the drive thru with all that attitude like you’re annoying him. Nobody is forcing you to work there. It’s all voluntary....Pop.

Extremely refreshing in a Spurs' post-gamer! :tu

NASpurs
03-03-2020, 09:48 PM
-Not a condescending piece of shit

timvp
03-03-2020, 09:48 PM
TD did the postgame interview? :wow

Seeing as how that's mandatory for head coaches, maybe he's preparing . . . . . . . . . . .

John B
03-03-2020, 09:52 PM
-Unleashed Keldon Johnson. Agree. Keldon certainly has the athleticism and skills to be out there playing. And love the motor of that kid.
Even had the cojones to give him fourth quarter minutes.

-Ran a couple plays for Lonnie Walker IV. Agree. He can make those open shots, or take it to the hole if his man plays tight.

-Recognized that Rudy Gay is a center in today's NBA and DeMar DeRozan is a power forward. Well it depends on the line-up. Against Charlotte's small line-up... yes

-Didn't go to the Patty Mills well over and over again late in the game. Love it. Not to mention Forbes.

-Never panicked and, correspondingly, team never panicked. Agree. That's the Spurs I know. Instead of putting a Beli/Forbes to try to "outscore," Coach Timmy hung on Defense to win the game
Just needs to play White more ... but that was impressive for TD's first try :tu

DJR210
03-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Timmy. Un-fucking-defeated as HC. :tu

ace3g
03-03-2020, 09:54 PM
TD did the postgame interview? :wow

Seeing as how that's mandatory for head coaches, maybe he's preparing . . . . . . . . . . .

Was talking with co-worker about this a few minutes ago. Before game they were talking about Hardy or Becky would do the post-game even though Duncan was already announced as head coach. Is it mandatory for HC to do media obligation or as long as one of the coaches on the staff does it?

Chomag
03-03-2020, 09:55 PM
NBA gonna ban Tim for unfair competition.

NASpurs
03-03-2020, 09:55 PM
Timmy. Un-fucking-defeated as HC. :tu

According to Marc Stein, the win officially still goes to Pop in the books lol

Atl Spur
03-03-2020, 09:57 PM
-Not a condescending piece of shit

Whoa bro....... you might be taking this basketball stuff to seriously!

timvp
03-03-2020, 10:01 PM
Is it mandatory for HC to do media obligation or as long as one of the coaches on the staff does it?

I know doing media is mandatory for regular, full-time head coaches. I don't know if it would have been mandatory for TD since he was a fill-in.

But, yeah, if TD ever wants to be a full-time head coach, he'd have to get used to do media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jj4hcRPy5M

Did well. Shot down that one off-topic question in a Pop-esque manner :lol

Spurs Homer
03-03-2020, 10:07 PM
I hadnt noticed timmy was coaching but i noticed keldon and lonnie getting minutes, then i started paying attention

timmy 1-0!

ace3g
03-03-2020, 10:07 PM
I know doing media is mandatory for regular, full-time head coaches. I don't know if it would have been mandatory for TD since he was a fill-in.

But, yeah, if TD ever wants to be a full-time head coach, he'd have to get used to do media.

That is what we thought but didn't Becky do post game for Pop last month?

This was when Messina was in town.

https://twitter.com/KSATRJ/status/1231238609128378368

DJR210
03-03-2020, 10:10 PM
According to Marc Stein, the win officially still goes to Pop in the books lol

:cry How misogynistic of him :cry

DJR210
03-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Name me a Spurs coach in history with better dreads.. I'll wait

timvp
03-03-2020, 10:12 PM
That is what we thought but didn't Becky do post game for Pop last month?

This was when Messina was in town.

https://twitter.com/KSATRJ/status/1231238609128378368

If you have a valid excuse, you can skip out on media. For example, players are technically obligated to do media but if they are in the trainer's room, that an acceptable excuse.

That Becky game, Pop's excuse was he was catching up with Messina. I guess that was a good enough excuse for the NBA not to fine him.

John B
03-03-2020, 11:15 PM

Wow that was the longest I’ve seen a Spurs Coach answering questions

Killakobe81
03-03-2020, 11:30 PM
Yep. The Becky fanboys were getting annoying on Twitter.

This, I don't get it.. I think she will be a fine coach but they act like she is prime Pop in a pantsuit.

Floyd Pacquiao
03-03-2020, 11:58 PM
This, I don't get it.. I think she will be a fine coach but they act like she is prime Pop in a pantsuit.

She looked really good leading the spurs to a summer league championship one year, that's where the hype comes from.

DMC
03-04-2020, 12:05 AM
Too bad Tim didn't suit up. He'd still be better than almost everyone out there.

JPB
03-04-2020, 01:59 AM

She looked really good leading the spurs to a summer league championship one year, that's where the hype comes from.

I don't think she or any woman will ever coach in the NBA.

That's not a matter of competences or knowledge and we know Becky is filled with them but imagine you're a GM and consider Becky as a coach... Think longer with all the ins and outs and you'll probably conclude that can't do it, which Pop and RC did...

That's one thing to coach for a few games a bunch of obeying, docile rookies and no name wannabees in summer league, that's another to coach day in day out male NBA star or superstar millionaires.

At the end of the day men are men, women women and guys don't react the same way with a woman, either by mysoginy or on the contrary to protect her. There are a lot of things going on in a team's life and players won't act and react as naturally with a woman as head coach, even unconsciously.

I don't see Harden, Westbrook, Lebron, Kawhi, LMA or whoever being really receptive or impressed by a Becky's rant or yelling at them at half time, on the bench or in practice as I don't see them follow her lead... Players and coaches may clash too sometimes, which can be sane but players wouldn't as naturally air it out with a female coach. How would she deal with players clashing or fighting too?

There's a lot of testosterone and psycholgy going on between a coach and players, a mix of "bro" codes or father figure depending, that need to be there for players to accept the coach leadership then form a "team" they all belong to. That won't exist with a woman that will never really belong to the group no matter what and will stay external. You can't fight nature.
That exclusion would physically manifest by her absence from the locker room where a lot of things are playing, for the most part... "Beware guys, towels on... Coach Becky wants to get in... I don't see her knocking at a player's hotel room on the road to talk either...

imagine you're an NBA GM and you have to pick a coach... All things considered, do you really give your team filled with 7 foot, male, 20-30 millionaire, egotic athlet stars to Becky?

I don't think a GM will.

BatManu20
03-04-2020, 02:20 AM
What a legend.

Fireball
03-04-2020, 03:20 AM
he played johnson because Belli was ill ... and Bryn still played too many minutes ... I liked that we won!

Budkin
03-04-2020, 03:23 AM
How great it feels to say once again “Tim Duncan led the Spurs to a victory.”

Chillen
03-04-2020, 03:25 AM
If Pop decides to retire I think Timmy would be perfect to take over for him if he wants it. He has a passion for the game and the smarts, that's all you need to be a good head coach. You have to enjoy and be into the game just as much as the players. Nothing against Becky but Pop must see Timmy's HC potential.

MarCowMar
03-04-2020, 04:23 AM
I don't think she or any woman will ever coach in the NBA.

That's not a matter of competences or knowledge and we know Becky is filled with them but imagine you're a GM and consider Becky as a coach... Think longer with all the ins and outs and you'll probably conclude that can't do it, which Pop and RC did...

That's one thing to coach for a few games a bunch of obeying, docile rookies and no name wannabees in summer league, that's another to coach day in day out male NBA star or superstar millionaires.

At the end of the day men are men, women women and guys don't react the same way with a woman, either by mysoginy or on the contrary to protect her. There are a lot of things going on in a team's life and players won't act and react as naturally with a woman as head coach, even unconsciously.

I don't see Harden, Westbrook, Lebron, Kawhi, LMA or whoever being really receptive or impressed by a Becky's rant or yelling at them at half time, on the bench or in practice as I don't see them follow her lead... Players and coaches may clash too sometimes, which can be sane but players wouldn't as naturally air it out with a female coach. How would she deal with players clashing or fighting too?

There's a lot of testosterone and psycholgy going on between a coach and players, a mix of "bro" codes or father figure depending, that need to be there for players to accept the coach leadership then form a "team" they all belong to. That won't exist with a woman that will never really belong to the group no matter what and will stay external. You can't fight nature.
That exclusion would physically manifest by her absence from the locker room where a lot of things are playing, for the most part... "Beware guys, towels on... Coach Becky wants to get in... I don't see her knocking at a player's hotel room on the road to talk either...

imagine you're an NBA GM and you have to pick a coach... All things considered, do you really give your team filled with 7 foot, male, 20-30 millionaire, egotic athlet stars to Becky?

I don't think a GM will.

I wonder it's like being inside your mind, where all these NBA players are happily falling into line and playing hard for their male coaches...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22870675/san-antonio-spurs-held-players-only-meeting-imploring-kawhi-leonard-return-playoff-push

...nodding politely as they're being yelled at or called names...

https://youtu.be/VehxXMgcJHM

...naturally "airing it out"...

https://youtu.be/3aYiVTWE3xc?t=8

...breaking up on-court fights...

https://youtu.be/uoTTCeLhLDA?t=26

...or locker room fights...

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/san-antonio-spurs-avery-johnson-malik-rose-locker-room-naked-fight/

Yes it all makes sense that only a man can lead men. It isn't like people are people and have different ways of dealing with people, or that men could appreciate having a female manager that builds them up and leads them to success. :wtf

ElNono
03-04-2020, 04:49 AM
premature thread, tbh

ragas
03-04-2020, 08:27 AM
+1 against the 21-40 Hornets. He's the best :clap

r0drig0lac
03-04-2020, 08:46 AM

the 26-34 Spurs....

UncleDennis
03-04-2020, 09:01 AM
If he wants it he should be the next HC, he's owed whatever he wants from this franchise forever as far as I'm concerned. If Becky and her people can't understand that, well that's on them.

I wonder if he would have played Keldon if Belli wasn't out. Anyways he looked good.

mo7888
03-04-2020, 09:17 AM
I'd love to see Tim as the new HC but, we better replace Wright with someone who has some competence if Timmy wants to succeed.

TDomination
03-04-2020, 10:13 AM
With Timmy being the main anchor on the Best Defensive Spurs Teams that we've had, i truly believe that would be his main mantra if he were coach. The players playing better D will get more minutes. A guy like Forbes who can only hope to trip a guy on the way to the basket without the refs noticing would be left out of the starting lineup in place of either Walker/White or even K Johnson depending on the lineup situation.

I would love for Tim to coach but in my gut I still get the feeling that this asst coaching stint with the spurs is just temporary and he has no desire to be full time head coach. I hope im wrong though.

Russ
03-04-2020, 10:36 AM
-Unleashed Keldon Johnson. Even had the cojones to give him fourth quarter minutes.

-Ran a couple plays for Lonnie Walker IV.

-Recognized that Rudy Gay is a center in today's NBA and DeMar DeRozan is a power forward.

-Didn't go to the Patty Mills well over and over again late in the game.

-Never panicked and, correspondingly, team never panicked.

All of the above, plus he unleashed Forbes (15 critical points, 2d most on the team) and still had minutes for KJ and Walker. :flag:

ZeusWillJudge
03-04-2020, 10:45 AM
All of the above, plus he unleashed Forbes (15 critical points, 2d most on the team) and still had minutes for KJ and Walker. :flag:

Unleashed Forbes. :lol
Because Forbes has been kept under wraps all season. :lol
Tim's secret weapon is a traffic cone that shoots 3's. :lol :lol :lol

For a mere mortal, you have a wicked sense of humor.

Russ
03-04-2020, 10:55 AM
Unleashed Forbes. :lol
Because Forbes has been kept under wraps all season. :lol
Tim's secret weapon is a traffic cone that shoots 3's. :lol :lol :lol

For a mere mortal, you have a wicked sense of humor.

That was so easy. :lol

KobesAchilles
03-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Pop coached his way to a loss to both the Cavs and the Hawks. It’s nice beating bottom feeders for a change.

rjv
03-04-2020, 11:22 AM
political endorsements aside, TD has the midas touch.

DAF86
03-04-2020, 11:26 AM
TD for HC 2021.

JPB
03-04-2020, 11:33 AM
I wonder it's like being inside your mind, where all these NBA players are happily falling into line and playing hard for their male coaches...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22870675/san-antonio-spurs-held-players-only-meeting-imploring-kawhi-leonard-return-playoff-push

...nodding politely as they're being yelled at or called names...

https://youtu.be/VehxXMgcJHM

...naturally "airing it out"...

https://youtu.be/3aYiVTWE3xc?t=8

...breaking up on-court fights...

https://youtu.be/uoTTCeLhLDA?t=26

...or locker room fights...

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/san-antonio-spurs-avery-johnson-malik-rose-locker-room-naked-fight/

Yes it all makes sense that only a man can lead men. It isn't like people are people and have different ways of dealing with people, or that men could appreciate having a female manager that builds them up and leads them to success. :wtf

Where did I say players were always falling in line with their male coaches? You must have missed the part when I say they were often clashing and I'm aware coaches get fired...

That's not the point, which isn't either about players "appreciating" in a vaccum having a female manager "that builds them up abd leads them to success" or about a rosy, idealistic, unrealistic vision in a board thread... it's about instincts and nature confronted to the REAL daily life of an NBA team.

I like Becky and I'm as much as a feminist rights defender as anyone but this isn't the enterprise world here where already (regrettably) extremely few women get top jobs and usually don't stay very long. It's sports, men, testosterone, specific codes, egos, daily physical and pshychological confrontations.

I know for sure many players wouldn't respect her very long as an NBA head coach, and not necessarily by mysoginism or machism but because of discomfort, awkardness and the ways men and women interact and perceive each others.

You're a GM... you give your team to Becky or no? It's not an hazard if it seems Becky won't succeed Pop. patfo had the time to study all that live and despite all her obvious great qualities realize that couldn't work...

jjktkk
03-04-2020, 11:40 AM
It will be interesting to see how this team performs under Timmy the rest of the way.

look_at_g_shred
03-04-2020, 11:42 AM
If we can cut Forbes and Gay's minutes, this team would be a hell of a lot better and more exciting to watch. Love what I saw from Keldon. He's the type of player this team has been needing for sure.

Seventyniner
03-04-2020, 12:59 PM
It will be interesting to see how this team performs under Timmy the rest of the way.

I read that as "see how this team underperforms under Timmy" at first, and I couldn't disagree with it.

Floyd Pacquiao
03-04-2020, 01:20 PM
:stirpot:
Murray taking shots at Pop
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1235261079242051585?s=19

Duncan>

r0drig0lac
03-04-2020, 01:28 PM

Duncan>

hum....

OldMan88
03-04-2020, 01:59 PM
I won’t pretend to know if Tim Duncan would consider taking over when Pop retires. I don’t think Becky will be tapped for the job unless the team has fallen so far out of the playoffs that the team management is more interested in making a political statement than winning. She’d end up being the first female NBA head coach to be hired... and fired. NBA level basketball on the best teams has way too much testosterone in the locker room for the very best players to be willing to defer to a female coach. Not being misogynistic here, just stating a cold, hard fact. She could be successful with a lower level NBA team than the Spurs organization, but she’ll have to pay her dues by being successful with a lottery level team first.

Tim’s a different situation... he has the respect and doesn’t need to prove himself. Kind of like when Larry Bird started coaching.

jjktkk
03-04-2020, 02:05 PM
I read that as "see how this team underperforms under Timmy" at first, and I couldn't disagree with it.

I hope not. I would love for Timmy to become the head coach. I just would be worried if the team struggled under Tim. Would the fan base turn on him? I would hate to see that, that's all.

K...
03-04-2020, 02:29 PM
He’s still got the pulse on this league, on these young players. So he can keep going as long as he wants

That's a grammar mistake, it's "young player" referring to Forbes. Pop is in touch with exactly one young player.

Leetonidas
03-04-2020, 02:30 PM

Duncan>

muh touches

DMC
03-04-2020, 03:51 PM
premature thread, tbh

Only chance to make it though with a talking point. I'd be surprised if Tim continues coaching tbh

Brazil
03-04-2020, 04:57 PM
could be wrong but I don't see Tim going through a HC career tbh.. not for lack of competencies but I don't see him willing to handle the political, business, media.. part of it

spurs10
03-04-2020, 05:51 PM
could be wrong but I don't see Tim going through a HC career tbh.. not for lack of competencies but I don't see him willing to handle the political, business, media.. part of it Tim is used to press and probably isn't afraid of the business. I think he said it, 'I'm just here to have a good time.'

J_Paco
03-04-2020, 06:11 PM
I doubt he wants the grind, commitment or being away from his family beyond a season or two. He obviously has the smarts and know how for the job (or as a long-term assistant coach), but I think this is more him doing his former coach a favor. Or spending one last season with someone he sees as a father figure.

On another note, it'll be nice if Belinelli's "illness" spells the end of his time in the rotation at all & Keldon Johnson shows he's ready for the big team. With actual minutes and chances given to the younger, hungrier, more athletic player.

Joseph Kony
03-04-2020, 06:18 PM
You can guarantee next time Pop is out, Becky is getting the nod for Tim actually playing a rookie in non-garbage minutes

:pop: How dare you play a rookie against my wishes??? That was Marco time! :pop:

FkLA
03-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Picturing the great Timothy Theodore Duncan taking over the reigns makes me happy, tbh.

Ozballer
03-04-2020, 08:47 PM
This game was not so much about Duncan as it was mostly making patently obvious how stagnant the group is with Pop and the need for change at the coaching helm for the San Antonio Spurs...

SayTown
03-04-2020, 09:48 PM
If Tim were to become coach, I could see there being a chance of possibly luring a young black superstar who would want to play for Tim.

phxspurfan
03-04-2020, 10:58 PM
Agree whole-heartedly. If Tim is the successor, I'll keep coming to watch games just because I trust who is at the helm.

phxspurfan
03-04-2020, 10:59 PM
An up and coming big man, for sure. Someone who wants to improve their fundamentals and who truly wants to win multiple championships and be a hall of famer.

phxspurfan
03-04-2020, 11:00 PM
could be wrong but I don't see Tim going through a HC career tbh.. not for lack of competencies but I don't see him willing to handle the political, business, media.. part of it

No reason Timmy can't rely on a mouthpiece/some good assistant like Becky to be the main voice to the media, while he does his thing in the locker room/on the bench.

Brazil
03-05-2020, 07:14 AM
Tim is used to press and probably isn't afraid of the business. I think he said it, 'I'm just here to have a good time.'

No reason Timmy can't rely on a mouthpiece/some good assistant like Becky to be the main voice to the media, while he does his thing in the locker room/on the bench.

Being HC is not just coaching the players and give motivational speeches... it's also a significant "boring" administrative load and there are stuff you cannot delegate, management of players ego, touches, complains, sponsors etc.. again not saying he is not capable on the contrary but I don't see him planning a career of 10 or 20 years around that... would not be the first time I'm wrong tho

hater
03-05-2020, 09:16 AM
:lmao he would be one of the worst coaches in the league :lol

hater
03-05-2020, 11:58 AM
no I dont

Duncan is a cerebral player a la Kareem. Do you think Kareem would have been a goid coach? :lmao

He would be a terrible coach. I rather have Mrs bubblegum coaching tbqh

phxspurfan
03-05-2020, 01:03 PM
So the troll mult account known as hater thinks that Tim couldn't be as succefull at head coaching an NBA team as Larry "Legend" Bird?

Standard Spurmstalk forum Bolded Donk shit posting.

But SayTown brings up the the most poignant point about a successful Larry Ledgen type success Tim Duncan could go along way in helping bring top free agents, you spurms talk bolded donks wont even concede that it would KEEP develop talent like mute cancer here.

No one was keeping Kawhi here. He wanted to go home.

TDomination
03-05-2020, 02:50 PM
Timmy has already surprised me with being an assistant this season. I honestly never saw him coaching but obviously that changed after this year so I don't know what to think about him being a full time coach. I want to say that I don't see him being a head coach ever but I never saw him being an assistant either so who knows.

As far as how he would fare as coach, his calm demeanor and obvious knowledge for defensive positioning/rebounding and all that would be good. I think his weakness would be with the current offensive style of the NBA, being able to fully get the most of guard players that of course thats just me speculating based on what little I know.

Overall, I would be absolutely ecstatic about him being coach for several reasons. 1)Timmy is a winner. 2)He can attract young FA who understand that Duncan is a winner. 3)Pop is Military, Duncan is laid back the style would obviously change but would mesh better with this day and age. 4)This would a huge boost for the fan base. Something to get real excited about.

But with that said, I don't think it happens. I still believe Becky has a higher chance of being our next HC than Timmy. We'll see.

Mugen
03-06-2020, 01:20 PM
The Spurs are in good hands if Flopovich finally retires tbh. I don't give a fuck who's coaching

My man! Warms my heart to see the fans really turn on the old, selfish fuck. The next step is to start going after his past "accomplishments" for which he gets way too much credit for obviously.

Really hope the Olympics team gets absolutely embarrassed because of him.

ace3g
03-06-2020, 08:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESdX1PmXsAAayjh?format=jpg&name=large

ace3g
05-01-2020, 01:56 PM
10:43 mark, DeRozan discusses Timmy as coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPuZUJNo-TY