PDA

View Full Version : Blacks May Determine Primary But Latinos May Determine the General Election

rjv
03-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Much attention is being paid to how well Biden is doing with the African-American voters but not sure if anyone is noticing how poorly is doing with Latino voters. Trump won 34% of the Latino vote in 2016. Sanders has resonated with many Latinos for many reasons and immigration is one of them. As many immigrants have been deported by Trump, Biden is still associated with the many that were deported by Obama (Obama deported 1.18 million and so far Trump has deported around 800,000). Without the Latino vote, and assuming Biden gets the nomination, Joe could lose Nevada. Colorado and Arizona (which could be there for the taking).

SnakeBoy
03-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Latinos love Trump

rjv
03-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Latinos love Trump

he did get 34% of their vote. My guess is Cubans (always Republican) and military. And Tio Tacos.

ChumpDumper
03-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Much attention is being paid to how well Biden is doing with the African-American voters but not sure if anyone is noticing how poorly is doing with Latino voters. Trump won 34% of the Latino vote in 2016. Sanders has resonated with many Latinos for many reasons and immigration is one of them. As many immigrants have been deported by Trump, Biden is still associated with the many that were deported by Obama (Obama deported 1.18 million and so far Trump has deported around 800,000). Without the Latino vote, and assuming Biden gets the nomination, Joe could lose Nevada. Colorado and Arizona (which could be there for the taking).

Could probably just say he's going to take the kids out of cages. Problem solved.

rjv
03-04-2020, 12:15 PM
Could probably just say he's going to take the kids out of cages. Problem solved.

perhaps but it was Obama (who Biden loves to pin his hat to) that brought back the private prisons (after initially closing them). many central americans also recall how the obama administration turned their back on honduras when Zelaya was overthrown and on their lack of reform on CAFTA. biden would also have to spell out what he would do to mitigate immigration and also on how he would make changes to the asylum process.

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2020, 12:19 PM
They don't make up a large enough electorate in the states that matter

ChumpDumper
03-04-2020, 12:20 PM
perhaps but it was Obama (who Biden loves to pin his hat to) that brought back the private prisons (after initially closing them). many central americans also recall how the obama administration turned their back on honduras when Zelaya was overthrown and on their lack of reform on CAFTA. biden would also have to spell out what he would do to mitigate immigration and also on how he would make changes to the asylum process.All he has to do is say he'll do better than Trump with some policy changes. It's not going to be that difficult IMO.

rjv
03-04-2020, 12:35 PM
They don't make up a large enough electorate in the states that matter

arizona (24% eligible voters), colorado (16%) and nevada (20%) couid matter. in an election that will come down to a few states, they could make a difference. these are states that could be on the bubble in the general election. winning one of the midwestern states would be crippled by losing one of these western states. not to mention that even in a state like wisconsin, which trump won in 2016, the eligible latino voters (7%) would, along with poorer whites, could be enough to earn the electoral college points for that crucial state. texas is moot because no way trump loses in texas.

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2020, 12:44 PM
arizona (24% eligible voters), colorado (16%) and nevada (20%) couid matter. in an election that will come down to a few states, they could make a difference. these are states that could be on the bubble in the general election. winning one of the midwestern states would be crippled by losing one of these western states. not to mention that even in a state like wisconsin, which trump won in 2016, the eligible latino voters (7%) would, along with poorer whites, could be enough to earn the electoral college points for that crucial state. texas is moot because no way trump loses in texas.
Arizona is not going blue, Colorado and their weed is, Nevada was won by fucking Hillary.

rjv
03-04-2020, 01:01 PM
Arizona is not going blue, Colorado and their weed is, Nevada was won by fucking Hillary.

each state was won by less than five percentage points. arizona, especially maricopa county, is trending blue. nevada could swing back if enough Latino voters failed to show. the margin of victory by trump in 2016, in arizona (3.5%), could be mitigated by an increase in registered latino voters. in 2016, registered latinos were a little less than 21% and that number went to just above 23% by 2018. the dems would be foolish not to get on the ground level and increase that number. but biden's name on the ticket might not exactly excite the masses.

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Culinary Union gonna keep Nevada in line

rjv
03-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Culinary Union gonna keep Nevada in line

biden is big with the unions. that much he does have going for him. and his record is pretty decent with them.

phxspurfan
03-04-2020, 02:17 PM
Latinos are being suppressed. Non-issue

FrostKing
03-04-2020, 03:07 PM
Dat vital NBA vote

Spurs Homer
03-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Safe to say - latinos will stay home and trump will win.

Nathan89
03-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Correction- Many illegal aliens have been deported.

Also yes they like him because he flipped on his long held position that benefitted Americans in an effort to pander for votes. Question is why are Latino Americans in favor of the plan that is detrimental to Americans. I'm not sure where their loyalties are tbh

rjv
03-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Correction- Many illegal aliens have been deported.

Also yes they like him because he flipped on his long held position that benefitted Americans in an effort to pander for votes. Question is why are Latino Americans in favor of the plan that is detrimental to Americans. I'm not sure where their loyalties are tbh

Your English is worse than an illegal alien's.

Spurminator
03-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Question is why are Latino Americans in favor of the plan that is detrimental to Americans. I'm not sure where their loyalties are tbh

Latinos should favor white nationalism like Nathan and other "real" Americans. Not like immigration was ever an integral part of this country's evolution.

Nathan89
03-04-2020, 04:12 PM
Latinos should favor white nationalism like Nathan and other "real" Americans. Not like immigration was ever an integral part of this country's evolution.

Don't talk about universal basic income and automation and then compare present day to the past.

So Bernie's former position was based on white nationalism?

But continue to push bullshit platforms to pander for votes and vilify anyone that calls out the nonsense. All while pretending you are working for the common American.

Nathan89
03-04-2020, 04:18 PM
Your English is worse than an illegal alien's.

I'm sure some have perfect English.

What's laughable though is the fact you highlighted exactly why Bernie flipped and respond to that reality with absolute nonsense. Now go back to manipulating people for political gain.

rjv
03-04-2020, 05:07 PM
I'm sure some have perfect English.

What's laughable though is the fact you highlighted exactly why Bernie flipped and respond to that reality with absolute nonsense. Now go back to manipulating people for political gain.

Your inferences are even worse than your English.

Spurminator
03-04-2020, 05:15 PM
Don't talk about universal basic income and automation and then compare present day to the past.

So Bernie's former position was based on white nationalism?

But continue to push bullshit platforms to pander for votes and vilify anyone that calls out the nonsense. All while pretending you are working for the common American.

It's rich hearing Trump supporters call out other politicians for pandering and for flip flopping on positions they held long ago.

He's a former Democrat who panders to you with fantasies about reclaiming America for the whites and kicking all the dirty immigrants out. You're so racist that you don't even care. You welcome it.

Millennial_Messiah
03-04-2020, 05:57 PM
biden is big with the unions. that much he does have going for him. and his record is pretty decent with them.

So Biden should sweep the Northern swath then? From MN all the way east to PA?

Millennial_Messiah
03-04-2020, 06:03 PM
Maybe we can be in for a little surprise and see a final map like this:

https://i.imgur.com/aXjttV8.jpg

Nathan89
03-04-2020, 06:24 PM
It's rich hearing Trump supporters call out other politicians for pandering and for flip flopping on positions they held long ago.

He's a former Democrat who panders to you with fantasies about reclaiming America for the whites and kicking all the dirty immigrants out. You're so racist that you don't even care. You welcome it.

He doesn't do that. Thanks for sharing your propaganda though.

rjv
03-05-2020, 11:43 AM
So Biden should sweep the Northern swath then? From MN all the way east to PA?

hard to say. he could perform well in michigan and pennsylvania (perhaps even in wisconsin), especially if the trend continues in regards to hie overall performance with the Black vote. clinton lost in these state because of her poor performance with blue-collar white male voters and urban area Black voters. to date, biden has fared far better with the voting blocs.

Millennial_Messiah
03-05-2020, 12:11 PM
hard to say. he could perform well in michigan and pennsylvania (perhaps even in wisconsin), especially if the trend continues in regards to hie overall performance with the Black vote. clinton lost in these state because of her poor performance with blue-collar white male voters and urban area Black voters. to date, biden has fared far better with the voting blocs.

:lol if Biden beats trump just because he has a winky instead of a vadgy

CosmicCowboy
03-05-2020, 01:27 PM
I think its interesting that Democrats just automatically assume Latinos are for illegal immigration.

Winehole23
03-05-2020, 01:31 PM
I think its interesting that Democrats just automatically assume Latinos are for illegal immigration.who did that?

RandomGuy
03-05-2020, 01:54 PM
I think its interesting that Democrats just automatically assume Latinos are for illegal immigration.

Conservative #5486585684593 telling Democrats what they think. Jeezus, what is it with you people?

I guess if that is the game:

I think it is interesting that Republicans just automatically assume that everybody is cool with their proposal for gas chambers and ovens for illegal immigrants.

RandomGuy
03-05-2020, 02:02 PM
who did that?

No one, and I mean no one. But it is the kind of stupid shit that bounces around conservative talk radio etc these days. I get to listen to it while traveling.

"Democrats think....[lie]" "Democrats say...[lie]"

It is always some strawman that fuels some outrage or other. They get their their dicks up and go try and find some "libtard" to tell off about how dumb they are, never really addressing a real person's thoughts or opinions, because that would mean understanding, listening, and potential compromise.

CosmicCowboy
03-05-2020, 02:06 PM
So you guys think Latinos are against illegal immigration? It's a pretty black and white issue. You are either for it or against it.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2020, 02:08 PM
So you guys think Latinos are against illegal immigration? It's a pretty black and white issue. You are either for it or against it.So you think repeating a strawman argument makes it real? You either do or you don't.

rjv
03-05-2020, 02:12 PM
:lol if Biden beats trump just because he has a winky instead of a vadgy :lol although i wouldn't be so sure hillary doesn't have a winky.

CosmicCowboy
03-05-2020, 02:32 PM
So you think repeating a strawman argument makes it real? You either do or you don't.

Both of those peckerheads rolled right into the "listening to conservative talk radio" "repeating talking points" bullshit of which I do neither.

I obviously haven't taken an official poll, but I work side by side with a lot of latinos and they universally agree that illegal immigration is bad.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Both of those peckerheads rolled right into the "listening to conservative talk radio" "repeating talking points" bullshit of which I do neither.

I obviously haven't taken an official poll, but I work side by side with a lot of latinos and they universally agree that illegal immigration is bad.But who is actually arguing that they are for it?

Chinook
03-05-2020, 03:02 PM
But who is actually arguing that they are for it?

Explicitly, not many. But I don't think it's worth arguing that the democrats have taken a more forgiving attitude toward illegal immigration in an effort to secure the Latino vote. I think one of the reasons why Latinos aren't solidly democratic is because they don't actually care about it much more than anyone else. Liberal Latinos support itthe dem's stance; conservative ones don't. A lot of moderate ones feel like neither stance is really very good and that the pandering and vilification are both frustrating.

It's the same way how some seem to think that blacks care more about poverty and inner-city crime than non-blacks. It's not true. If you control for socioeconomic factors, you're not going to see a trend that can't be explained by regular politics.

There are factors that do trend with ethnicity, like profiling and discrimination. Those things affect you no matter your socioeconomic background, so there'll be a stark difference there that could be pandered to more successfully.

rjv
03-05-2020, 03:14 PM
i think some people here are simplifying this too much. part of the problem is the use of the term 'latino', which i myself am forced to use (i will not yield to the god-awful term of 'latinx'). the further away from immigration a 'Latino" may be, and the more assimilated, the greater the odds that this individual will trend towards supporting stricter immigration laws. but the region of latin america also has a lot to say in the matter. immigrants from central america (in which there has been significant american sponsored regime change) are more likely to be in support of asylum and paths to citizenship. younger, and more educated Latinos are mindful of the civil rights infringements that some harsher immigration laws may have on latinos who are U.S. citizens (and this goes back as far as the bracero program and the CIA backed 'operation wetback'). migrant workers are mixed in that they often opposed to the presence of illegal immigrants (cesar chazez was hardly the champion of immigration laws). cubans- well that's just a whole different bag.

Millennial_Messiah
03-05-2020, 04:39 PM
:lol although i wouldn't be so sure hillary doesn't have a winky.

soo Chelsea was adopted? Or was she brought to arkansas by a russian stork?

Nathan89
03-05-2020, 04:46 PM
So you guys think Latinos are against illegal immigration? It's a pretty black and white issue. You are either for it or against it.

I think the reason Bernie flipped and the left is pushing for open borders is because that is the thought. But it's not that clear and that's why the left twists language to manipulate people.

DMC
03-05-2020, 10:15 PM
How many eligible Latinos actually vote?

rjv
03-06-2020, 12:01 PM
How many eligible Latinos actually vote?

53.4 % in 2018, which was up 11.5% from 2014. Latino voter turnout in 2018 represented the biggest increase of any other demographic between 2014-2018; the biggest increase was seen in the 18-29 year old age group (up 16%).