PDA

View Full Version : Keldon Johnson is way better than Lonnie Walker.

Collins21
03-06-2020, 09:52 PM
I've seen enough to say that right bow Johnson does everything better than Lonnie Walker and its not even close.

Degoat
03-06-2020, 09:55 PM
I wasn’t able to watch the game but Lonnie has been disappointing as of late... I’d probably wait until next year to truly judge Lonnie but I’ve always been worried about his work ethic

Russ
03-06-2020, 10:00 PM
I've seen enough to say that right bow Johnson does everything better than Lonnie Walker and its not even close.

And water is wet . . .

FkLA
03-06-2020, 10:02 PM
Nah. He's a way better finisher though. Still think Lonnie's ceiling is higher.

But there's no need to pit them against each other. They can both do their thing if we stop playing that piece of shit Forms.

daslicer
03-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Haven't watched much of him but one thing I have noticed about him is that he has a knack for drawing fouls and getting to the line.

RC_Drunkford
03-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Keldon is the best defender on the team. He's also way better at scoring around the rim than Murray, Walker or White. He's also better at drawing fouls. You might have a point here. Kid needs to be in the rotation from now on and could definitely start in place of Forbes.

The biggest thing to me is that everything he does in the G-League translates to the NBA. That's huge

palangi
03-06-2020, 10:07 PM
Nah. He's a way better finisher though. Still think Lonnie's ceiling is higher.

But there's no need to pit them against each other. They can both do their thing if we stop playing that piece of shit Forms.

I agree. Why are we trying to pit them against each other. They both can be on the floor together. Why can't we want both to be good and be there future.
Damn there are some simple minded folks here

daslicer
03-06-2020, 10:09 PM
Lets be honest he scores around the rim better than Derozen who is always looking for calls and bitching when he gets them and when he doesn't

Keldon is naturally stronger than Demar and has broader shoulders. He's a thick guy which bolds well for him when it comes to creating contact and either getting the call or still scoring the bucket.

RC_Drunkford
03-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Lets be honest he scores around the rim better than Derozen who is always looking for calls and bitching when he gets them and when he doesn't

small sample size. Percentage wise DeRozan is slightly better, but they almost the same. Big Body just seems stronger. He can legit bully his way to the rim and score in traffic and it looks like the refs will give him more calls than DeRozan

D-Robinson 50 fan
03-06-2020, 10:12 PM
Keldon has looked really good in the little minutes he has gotten. He should get minutes on the real team for the remainder of the season.

even Pop gave him a shout out in the media presser.

r0drig0lac
03-06-2020, 10:13 PM
and? this only shows once again the incompetence at all levels of this franchise, since this child is ready from day one and is certainly 10x better than Forbes, Mills and Marco in play basketball.

TimDunkem
03-06-2020, 10:13 PM
Walker can't even finish wide open dunks. Higher potential, but that's all Hairdo is right now.

FkLA
03-06-2020, 10:14 PM
I think saying he's a better finisher than DeRozan is a stretch. DeRozan can be a bully around the basket too and also has some finesse (eurosteps, floaters, etc). He's always been good at getting to the FT line. He's proven that over a prolonged period of time while usually being guarded by the opponent's best perimeter defender too. KJ's done it for two games.

Collins21
03-06-2020, 10:16 PM
I agree. Why are we trying to pit them against each other. They both can be on the floor together. Why can't we want both to be good and be there future.
Damn there are some simple minded folks here

I'm not pitting them against each other I'm just pointing out that right now one looks like a legit NBA player and the other is looking like he should be the one in the G league this year.

Spurtacular
03-06-2020, 10:21 PM
IV hasn't been showing me much lately.

phxspurfan
03-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Classic case of the kid with not as much talent who had to develop a feel for the game and actual basketball skills, versus the AAU bullshit “hoops prodigy” who ends up being James Flight White, playing against 50 year olds at the local YMCA

tholdren
03-06-2020, 10:26 PM
Wow. This is quite the development from walker would get the spurs to the playoffs talk at the beginning of the season... hes terrible. But like any random joe you give him minutes he will get better. The nba is so overrated. But ITS ENTERTAINMENT

palangi
03-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Wow. This is quite the development from walker would get the spurs to the playoffs talk at the beginning of the season... hes terrible. But like any random joe you give him minutes he will get better. The nba is so overrated. But ITS ENTERTAINMENT

When you got children on here they can't see past the moment

Floyd Pacquiao
03-06-2020, 10:37 PM
I'd like to see Lonnie with the ball in his hands a lot more like in that rockets game he went off in instead of pop stunting his growth and trying to make him bruce Bowen

Collins21
03-06-2020, 10:42 PM
I'd like to see Lonnie with the ball in his hands a lot more like in that rockets game he went off in instead of pop stunting his growth and trying to make him bruce Bowen

Why so he can just blow the finish or pass the open shot to drive into a contested layup.

phxspurfan
03-06-2020, 10:52 PM
Keldon is naturally stronger than Demar and has broader shoulders. He thicc

Roscoe P. Coltrane
03-06-2020, 11:19 PM
I've seen enough to say that right bow Johnson does everything better than Lonnie Walker and its not even close.That's not saying much.

ginobilized
03-07-2020, 12:12 AM
KJ is a baller. Great leadership potential, too.
Hope he keeps getting minutes. Seems like a smart kid.

tim_duncan_fan
03-07-2020, 12:43 AM
Play Keldon.

This team needs to just play the people who can play. Let's give Mezie some burn too. Literally 0 point in not playing the guys we haven't seen in the real NBA yet. The guys we have chosen to rely on on the big club are giving us close enough to nothing.

Chucho
03-07-2020, 01:06 AM
LOLonnie Walker is a flat-Earther. Only thing more retarded than his belief is his hair style and the tools who legit thought he was more than the low draft pick he was...

..."but, but he scored 24 points that one time...he's good!"

He doesnt even scratch Nigel Knight or Lloyd Daniels level. At least they had more than 1 twenty points game. i dont understand these bullshit expectations for low 1st round picks our ST armchair GMs have for these guys.

Dejounte
03-07-2020, 02:40 AM
Ive been on this train for a while and now yall are starting to see. Keldon is a beast.

monty4329
03-07-2020, 04:06 AM
No need to compare the two of them.

Keldon is a basketball player, understands his defensive and offensive rotations, and will most probably play a few productive years in the NBA. He was picked because of that, I suppose.

Lonnie is a stupendous athlete. Again, he was picked because of that.

duncan2k5
03-07-2020, 04:13 AM
Keldon is the best defender on the team. He's also way better at scoring around the rim than Murray, Walker or White. He's also better at drawing fouls. You might have a point here. Kid needs to be in the rotation from now on and could definitely start in place of Forbes.

The biggest thing to me is that everything he does in the G-League translates to the NBA. That's huge

Just wait until Pop gets ahold of him... He will be neutered in no time... How quickly we forget that Lonnie was looking like a star vs the G-league, but when under Pop in the NBA... Pop's treatment killed whatever he had going... If Lonnie and Keldon were switched, we would be talking about how bad Keldon is and how he can't shoot, while Lonnie would be destroying the g league and looking decent in in garbage NBA time when called up

duncan2k5
03-07-2020, 04:14 AM
Keldon has looked really good in the little minutes he has gotten. He should get minutes on the real team for the remainder of the season.

even Pop gave him a shout out in the media presser.

Doesn't mean anything...pop also shouts out Brent

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-07-2020, 04:35 AM
Just wait until Pop gets ahold of him... He will be neutered in no time... How quickly we forget that Lonnie was looking like a star vs the G-league, but when under Pop in the NBA... Pop's treatment killed whatever he had going... If Lonnie and Keldon were switched, we would be talking about how bad Keldon is and how he can't shoot, while Lonnie would be destroying the g league and looking decent in in garbage NBA time when called up

We don't forget, only you do. Walker had average g league stats, never looked like a star, only showed tools. 16 points on 44FG% is very meh. Johnson's g league stats are way better and it seems to translate to the NBA level.

4lifecowboy
03-07-2020, 06:00 AM
Both are Spurs so I hope both fulfill their full potential. That being said I believe Lonnie's ceiling is a bit higher, but Pop is not the coach to help him reach that potential it seems. He has a complete offensive arsenal, and crazy athleticism yet seldom is his number called in any offensive sets.

4lifecowboy
03-07-2020, 06:04 AM
KJ is a baller. Great leadership potential, too.
Hope he keeps getting minutes. Seems like a smart kid.

If Duncan hadn't put him on the floor, he wouldn't. We will see what happens when we aren't missing three players.

Slippy
03-07-2020, 06:10 AM
Glad to see another youngen showing he nba ready.

Comparing the two against each other isn't reallly fair.

One of them has been getting reps playing in the g league as number one option, while the other had to alter his game and prove to pop he was "competitive ". Thats after riding the pine first month of the season playing behind Marco. Some of you just dont get the game of basketball. Totally get duncn2k5 point.

Hopefully Pop doesnt get to Keldon like has to Lonnie's game. Offensively Lonnie is playing in a shell. Thats become obvious.

NickiRasgo
03-07-2020, 06:53 AM
Lonnie probably the higher ceiling but Keldon does have the confidence and feel of the game. Hope it's still not too late for Lonnie.

Larry O
03-07-2020, 06:54 AM
KJ has definitely been a pleasant surprise as a rook! He's shown flashes of great potential! He has good tools on defense and I can say that he's the best finisher at the rim on this team. He deserves more minutes. LW4 on the other hand, has a whole lot of growing up to do. In his own right, he has special tools, too, that needs to be honed in. He may have to work extra hard to perfect his skills and bring his game to light. It's gonna be either fun or frustrating or both, to see these two guys grow and develop their game in the years to come. They both may have the potential to impact this team and the NBA in the years to come, hopefully.

dbestpro
03-07-2020, 08:30 AM
Keldon has not been coached enough by Pop. Give Pop enough time and he will turn Keldon into a scare rabbit just like the rest of the kiddie crew.

exstatic
03-07-2020, 08:50 AM

Yeah, he even looked good in that game that Pop sat out. Brought the ball upcourt and attacked the defense, instead of bringing it across half court, and dumping it to the top of the arc.

I like Keldon a lot, but most of his time has been of the garbage variety. No one really knows who he is yet, so his straight line drives are still effective. When they pay attention, it’s much easier to both defend and help on a straight line drive. He’ll need to develop a spin move, and some combo moves like White and even Lonnie have now.

ceperez
03-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Spurs are so devoid of any talent that it doesn't matter if Johnson is better than Walker.

Truth4sale$
03-07-2020, 09:50 AM
It's not so much of a Keldon vs Lonnie debate, it's more so who is showing improvement and who is regressing. Right now Lonnie is barely outplaying Forbes. He really is not showing much other than he is athletic, but everything else is inconsistent his minutes, his shot, his defense. Keldon has worked on his shot, and definitely taking advantage of every opportunity and his stock is on the rise. If he stayed at Kentucky and entered the draft this year, he likely is a top 10 pick in this draft.

exstatic
03-07-2020, 09:54 AM
Spurs are so devoid of any talent that it doesn't matter if Johnson is better than Walker.

Why are you still here, then?

Sugus
03-07-2020, 11:44 AM
So many posters with goldfish memory, praising or hating on players after a single good or bad performance... Seriously comparing KJ's garbage time play to Lonnie's performances through the season. Thankfully the Spurs have both players locked up and looking good in their own ways. All that's missing is a coach that will put them on the floor when it matters and allow them to grow through mistakes instead of attacking their confidence... I was pleasantly surprised with Timmy the other night. Him or Becky are both good choices and any of them would be miles better than Pop at developing our youth.

weebo
03-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Classic case of the kid with not as much talent who had to develop a feel for the game and actual basketball skills, versus the AAU bullshit “hoops prodigy” who ends up being James Flight White, playing against 50 year olds at the local YMCA

This.

B1gduff
03-07-2020, 12:31 PM
Lonnie has kind of been a disappointment. Just looking at him, he does seem to have that desire or attitude that certain players have. The skill set is there, but his lack of focus really has hurt.

Collins21
03-07-2020, 02:17 PM
So many posters with goldfish memory, praising or hating on players after a single good or bad performance... Seriously comparing KJ's garbage time play to Lonnie's performances through the season. Thankfully the Spurs have both players locked up and looking good in their own ways. All that's missing is a coach that will put them on the floor when it matters and allow them to grow through mistakes instead of attacking their confidence... I was pleasantly surprised with Timmy the other night. Him or Becky are both good choices and any of them would be miles better than Pop at developing our youth.

Was does any of that have to with the fact that he can't execute a simple lay up?

Floyd Pacquiao
03-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Yeah, he even looked good in that game that Pop sat out. Brought the ball upcourt and attacked the defense, instead of bringing it across half court, and dumping it to the top of the arc.

I like Keldon a lot, but most of his time has been of the garbage variety. No one really knows who he is yet, so his straight line drives are still effective. When they pay attention, it’s much easier to both defend and help on a straight line drive. He’ll need to develop a spin move, and some combo moves like White and even Lonnie have now.

Just because pop wasn't coaching that game doesn't mean he hasn't already been told what to do before hand. He's said it in multiple interviews what pop wants from him.

Slippy
03-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Keldon has not been coached enough by Pop. Give Pop enough time and he will turn Keldon into a scare rabbit just like the rest of the kiddie crew.

Its amazing how many fans overlook this trend .

Pop better be out by next season as coach. If he doesnt step down, hopefully ownership steps in.

DavidTheGoliath
03-08-2020, 12:07 AM
Its amazing how many fans overlook this trend .

Pop better be out by next season as coach. If he doesnt step down, hopefully ownership steps in.

He wanted to last off season. Ownership begged him to coach for another year.

Biggems
03-08-2020, 08:40 AM
And water is wet . . .

Had a debate about that, and I am on your side of the fence. The other side, a 5th grader, gave a compelling argument about water not being wet, but creating an effect of wetness when it come into contact with something else. I challenged her to prove me wrong, she did the research, and came back with a thoughtful and scientific retort. I was pleased and impressed.

Slippy
03-09-2020, 02:13 AM
He wanted to last off season. Ownership begged him to coach for another year.

Would have been for stability last year. This season, think they would be regretting it by now.

DavidTheGoliath
03-09-2020, 05:25 AM
Would have been for stability last year. This season, think they would be regretting it by now.

N

Thats their money anyways :lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2020, 05:41 AM
since this team is not going to make the playoffs, is popabitch going to play the younger players more minutes over his son of bitches?

RC_Drunkford
03-09-2020, 06:03 AM
since this team is not going to make the playoffs, is popabitch going to play the younger players more minutes over his son of bitches?

no. He's gon do what he always does. Some people call it insanity, he calls it pounding the rock

EasyMoney
03-09-2020, 06:35 AM

He still wont play dj and white together consistently. He hasnt learned yet. We might not ever see a lineup up of white murray and walker this season, and its sickening to think.

Dejounte
03-09-2020, 07:03 AM
Coaching geniuses here still think playing White and DJ is the answer to everything.

Prime BEEF
03-09-2020, 08:55 AM
https://youtu.be/Y6RECQT49H4
https://youtu.be/Y6RECQT49H4

In a Game that went into OT and this 1 possibly 3 point give back at the end of the fourth.

Culture used to be "Spurs don't be themselves"

With this faggot and this tude and behavior things sure have changed haven't they

It overshadowing a heck of a "spurs like" Play by Keldon makes it 10x worse
The weak attitude really bothers me. It won’t happen because pop is awful but I wish the spurs would go after some tough players that hustle and have grit this summer. Players like Harrell, Beverley, PJ Tucker, etc. Yes, I know Beverley and Tucker aren't FAs...I’m just saying tough players like those guys.

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2020, 08:59 AM

Lonnie has been disappointing. But that's what getting beaten down for an entire season can do to a young player. If Lonnie gets a change of scenery, there will be some threads bitching about the Spurs letting him get away. When he's at his best, he's electric.

But I said from draft night that Keldon has an NBA-ready body. He can take contact and finish better than most rookies, and that's something Lonnie lacks. If he can get his 3P stroke on track, he will have a long NBA career.

I was totally against the Spurs drafting Samanic. Imagine if the Spurs had taken Brandon Clarke or Matisse Thybulle AND Keldon in that draft.

exstatic
03-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Coaching geniuses here still think playing White and DJ is the answer to everything.

White/DJ >>>>>>>> Forbes/DJ

A friend asked why the Spurs were constantly digging out of a hole every game, and I explained that Forbes is a borderline NBA player who can't do anything but catch and shoot the ball, and he's causing the deficits by his inability to defend or rebound.

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2020, 09:48 AM

Always with the straw men. Find someone who said that playing White and DG is "the answer to everything". I'll wait.

It would have been an improvement. And obvious one. When you have a major wound, you put pressure on it. Not because you think it will fix everything - just to stop the bleeding. There are plenty of bad takes, but nobody said that playing White/DJ was the answer to everything wrong with this team.

KobesAchilles
03-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Young guys have been misused all year tbh. White should’ve started from the beginning of the year. It would’ve done wonders for his confidence and given him a steady role which he clearly lacked in the beginning of the year. This whole he should be are next Gino thing is the biggest piece of crap I’ve heard in a while. Pop started Gino initially and then actually gave him the keys to drive the car and ALWAYS closed with him, all things Pop has refused to do for Derrick.

Lonnie is being used so badly it’s ridiculous. He’s an athlete. Run him in the open and play fast. Don’t have him worry about being benched for missing an assignment. The way he should be used is a Jaren Jackson gunner type off the bench. He needs to be a spark off the bench whose sole job is to shoot. Him getting 4 shots a game while Mills and Forbes get 10+ isn’t doing him any favors at all

Keldon just needs to be used at PJ Tucker. Straight line drives. Hit wide open 3s and play like a dawg on defense.

Honestly Pop has done such a shitty job coaching up the youngins this year that I can’t evaluate them at all. Pop has gone out of his way to not coach young players. I mean the last young guy Pop coached was Kawhi but before that was who? He’s getting these kids at 19. He wants vets which is why he’s so hell bent on keeping Gay, DeRozan, and LMA. It’s why he wanted Carrol and Morris. Pop doesn’t want to coach kids. He’s too old for it. We need a coach who can actually do that. I’m not against Atkinson at all coming in here and building rapport with the young guys and be the next coach.

rjv
03-09-2020, 11:12 AM
johnson has a spur mentality-thanks to solid coaching at UK.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-09-2020, 11:19 AM
I like Keldon, and I think Lonnie's still got the potential to be great.

But, yeah, Keldon's impressive so far.

exstatic
03-09-2020, 11:24 AM
johnson has a spur mentality-thanks to solid coaching at UK.

I think it's in spite of Coach Cal's laissez faire approach to his top recruits. He has a Spurs mentality because of his upbringing, not one year in a basketball farm.

CGD
03-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Really liking Keldon. He’s like that boxer who may not be the most talented, but is full of heart. Have fun trying to beat that guy.

wildbill2u
03-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Murray could be benched. He has too many flaws in basic handling, shooting and BBIQ. Keep and play Lonnie at SG and White at PG with Keldon and Murray as backup. Too bad trade deadline has come and gone

Russ
03-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Lonnie is like a deer.

He's as fast as a deer, he leaps like a deer, he's as graceful as a deer.

And when the headlights come on . . .

Prime BEEF
03-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Lonnie is like a deer.

lol this is spot on

sasaint
03-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Lonnie is like a deer.

:lol

Kevin
03-09-2020, 02:27 PM
He's only played in 78 minutes have NBA action but Keldon has a PER of 17.7. It's hard not to feel good about that even in a small sample size.

exstatic
03-09-2020, 03:50 PM
He's only played in 78 minutes have NBA action but Keldon has a PER of 17.7. It's hard not to feel good about that even in a small sample size.

46% of his shots are from 0-3 feet of the rim, and he's shooting 69% on those shots.

sasaint
03-09-2020, 03:55 PM
46% of his shots are from 0-3 feet of the rim, and he's shooting 69% on those shots.

A new face in the league can have inflated metrics until teams scout him or face him for the second time. Keeping my fingers crossed that Keldon can adjust when that happens...

exstatic
03-09-2020, 04:11 PM
A new face in the league can have inflated metrics until teams scout him or face him for the second time. Keeping my fingers crossed that Keldon can adjust when that happens...

Oh, I've already said that he needs to progress past straight line drives. He needs a crossover, a spin move, etc. It's just good to see him come up and have total aggression and no fear.

TDomination
03-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Oh, I've already said that he needs to progress past straight line drives. He needs a crossover, a spin move, etc. It's just good to see him come up and have total aggression and no fear.
This is what I wish Walker had. Although I feel its Pops fault. Walker has had moments where he looked fearless out there, take the ball to the hoop even if its not designed for you. Take that 3 pt shot if you're feeling it. Go and attack the glass. But Pops short leash i truly believe caused his hesitation into playing freely.

Keldon is looking really good though so far. And i'm hoping we can so BOTH Walker and Johnson grow into great players in the Spurs system.

Keepin' it real
03-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Lonnie is like a deer.

¿Como que headlights?

sasaint
03-09-2020, 05:01 PM

:tu

sasaint
03-09-2020, 05:04 PM
This is what I wish Walker had. Although I feel its Pops fault. Walker has had moments where he looked fearless out there, take the ball to the hoop even if its not designed for you. Take that 3 pt shot if you're feeling it. Go and attack the glass. But Pops short leash i truly believe caused his hesitation into playing freely.

Keldon is looking really good though so far. And i'm hoping we can so BOTH Walker and Johnson grow into great players in the Spurs system.

I can't identify the Spurs' system any more.

Sugus
03-09-2020, 08:47 PM

I think Lonnie will surprise a lot of people next year. Or the year after whenever Pop decides to call it quits. Whenever I look at him play, "hesitant" is the word that comes to mind every time, and it's something I didn't see in him before, just like DJ started out the season a beast then also started second-guessing himself and trying to defer to the "stars" on the team to get "the best possible shot". I fucking hate that concept now... Pop has bastardized the beautiful game into every single player being non-aggressive, pump-faking and driving into traffic only to pass out and repeat... You're never going to find the best shot that way, and Pop just doesn't care.

I want to see the young players under a coach who does care. Then, we can start judging who stays and who goes.