PDA

View Full Version : Article: Luka Samanic's Intriguing Potiential and Possible Future

cd021
03-07-2020, 05:44 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/luka-samanic-future-san-antonio-spurs-rookie-development/

The Gist: The skill and potential is definitely there but it's not a sure thing that he puts it all together.

Down Under
03-08-2020, 04:22 AM
I thought he made some pretty good reads with the ball. Showed decent enough foot speed to stay in front of quicker guys, even though he looked lost a few times on rotations & has definitely added muscle since he was drafted.

duncan2150
03-08-2020, 05:56 AM
Imo the most important thing for samanic is his motor.

He looks lazy sometimes and needs to be more focused, with a better effort.

Other than that all the tools are there.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-08-2020, 06:25 AM
Lottery pick tools with a 2nd round pick effort/motor. Tbh you could have said the same about Jokic entering the league, so hopefully he puts it all together.

cd021
03-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Hopefully we see more of him and Keldon tonight against the Cavs, love to see them get more time.

Prime BEEF
03-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the article. Samanic would've been an easier pill to swallow at 29 instead of 19. He would’ve still been available there. Hopefully the FO makes better choices with our picks this year.

itzsoweezee
03-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Not a good pick at 19. His future depends on whether he can shoot. Unfortunately, he can't.

r0drig0lac
03-08-2020, 10:39 AM
any combination of Keldon / Bazley (would have been my choice, if possible) / Little and Paschall would give the team versatility and toughness in positions 3 and 4 for several years for sure, but now we just need to root for the boy.

Dejounte
03-08-2020, 11:26 AM
any combination of Keldon / Bazley (would have been my choice, if possible) / Little and Paschall would give the team versatility and toughness in positions 3 and 4 for several years for sure, but now we just need to root for the boy.

Why the fuck is Little still on anyone's minds? Dude is a dud and went from having starter minutes (contributing very little) to garbage time on the Blazers.

r0drig0lac
03-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Why the fuck is Little still on anyone's minds? Dude is a dud and went from having starter minutes (contributing very little) to garbage time on the Blazers.
Yes, it is a bad stage to be in at the moment, but two levels above Luka's stage, who due to lack of engine would also not be playing in any of the other teams. Unlike the Keldon case (this is just another Spurs error), in which the kid should already be playing, and he would have playing time on 29 other teams (varying according to the team level and the depth of the position).

dbestpro
03-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Imo the most important thing for samanic is his motor.

He looks lazy sometimes and needs to be more focused, with a better effort.

Other than that all the tools are there.

He should be forced to watch reruns of Rodman with every lackluster effort.

paperboy77
03-08-2020, 01:11 PM
These shitty articles probably written from an Austin Spurs fan.

Twisted_Dawg
03-08-2020, 02:48 PM

Or, Brandon Clarke and Kevin Porter.

spurraider21
03-08-2020, 03:23 PM
his shooting sucks :cry but his form looks smooth :cry

cd021
03-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Not a good pick at 19. His future depends on whether he can shoot. Unfortunately, he can't.

Wouldn't say he can't shoot. He's shooting 32% on 4.3 attempts per game. Thats actually not bad and certainly doesn't suggest that he can't improve.

Atl Spur
03-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Why is it so hard for dudes to grasp everyone isn’t a prodigy? Give this kid some time to get comfortable..... most people need development time. Patience ��

jjktkk
03-08-2020, 06:11 PM
Yes, it is a bad stage to be in at the moment, but two levels above Luka's stage, who due to lack of engine would also not be playing in any of the other teams. Unlike the Keldon case (this is just another Spurs error), in which the kid should already be playing, and he would have playing time on 29 other teams (varying according to the team level and the depth of the position).It hasn't even been a full year and you're already labeling Luka a bust? LOL, WTF? From day one PATFO stated that Šamanić was a project and probably won't be receiving a lot of playing time with the parent club.

r0drig0lac
03-08-2020, 06:21 PM
It hasn't even been a full year and you're already labeling Luka a bust? LOL, WTF? From day one PATFO stated that Šamanić was a project and probably won't be receiving a lot of playing time with the parent club.
cmon man, I never said that and i made it clear that I was talking about the current moment, although, even if Luka becomes the new Dirk, he was not my option with the 19 pick.

jjktkk
03-08-2020, 06:36 PM
cmon man, I never said that and i made it clear that I was talking about the current moment, although, even if Luka becomes the new Dirk, he was not my option with the 19 pick.

I misunderstood you then, my bad.

Keepin' it real
03-08-2020, 07:04 PM
The Spurs front office has done it again!!

DPG21920
03-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Lottery pick tools with a 2nd round pick effort/motor. Tbh you could have said the same about Jokic entering the league, so hopefully he puts it all together.

Yeah - agree. Something about him bugs me and it’s not his skillset...Hard to imagine a guy like that making it unless there is a big change in mindset.

exstatic
03-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Not to mention the fact that he's a coke head who was busted while at UNC, and rolled over on his boys so it would be kept quiet and he could go to the NBA. Little is pure trash, and won't be in the NBA after his rookie deal.

Teams are actually learning about druggies. GS once asked Dean Smith about ACC player (NC State) Chris Washburn, another coke head, and Smith said that he wouldn't even draft him at all. GS pulled the trigger at #3 overall, and he only played 72 games total for his NBA career.

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2020, 10:06 AM
When you're winning 50+ games every season, and always a contender to go deep into the playoffs, you can afford to draft a project. When you're struggling to squeeze into a tie for 8th seed, and are on the decline, you can't afford to draft projects. Samanic was always a project, even by the most optimistic standards. Unless he turns into Dirk Nowitzki, he was a stupid pick for the Spurs. It's likely that he was a stupid pick AND a wasted pick, because he's not going to turn into a star. This article talks about his interior defense being "a work in progress", he has "advanced post-up moves" but isn't likely to become a dominant post player, his shooting is spotty, and he "hasn't shed the label that he is an inconsistent player. The video of his "quick first step" could only be considered quick in the G-League. So, basically, if he improves everything, he'll be better.

Samanic looks like a guy who took up a sport because he wanted to get laid, but couldn't play the guitar. He doesn't look like a guy who is busting his balls in the gym every night because he's so driven to become the best.

TimDunkem
03-09-2020, 10:18 AM
When you're winning 50+ games every season, and always a contender to go deep into the playoffs, you can afford to draft a project. When you're struggling to squeeze into a tie for 8th seed, and are on the decline, you can't afford to draft projects. Samanic was always a project, even by the most optimistic standards. Unless he turns into Dirk Nowitzki, he was a stupid pick for the Spurs. It's likely that he was a stupid pick AND a wasted pick, because he's not going to turn into a star. This article talks about his interior defense being "a work in progress", he has "advanced post-up moves" but isn't likely to become a dominant post player, his shooting is spotty, and he "hasn't shed the label that he is an inconsistent player. The video of his "quick first step" could only be considered quick in the G-League. So, basically, if he improves everything, he'll be better.

Samanic looks like a guy who took up a sport because he wanted to get laid, but couldn't play the guitar. He doesn't look like a guy who is busting his balls in the gym every night because he's so driven to become the best.
In 4 years he might be as good as Ilyasova. Oh wow. So worth it. Definitely worth passing up on other guys who could've contributed immediately for years.

r0drig0lac
03-09-2020, 10:26 AM
In 4 years he might be as good as Ilyasova. Oh wow. So worth it. Definitely worth passing up on other guys who could've contributed immediately for years.

it seems to me another case Bryn Forbes, he doesn't play because of the supposed spacing he provides (we could find 100 guys in the nba who could provide the same thing with more size and strength), Forbes plays because Pop likes him, just like that. Samanic was drafted because someone with strength in the front office simply likes the guy, by any measure possible (ceiling, skills, ability to make an immediate contribution, ease of adaptation, etc.) had several players available at the time of choice.

jjktkk
03-09-2020, 11:35 AM
I want to see another offseason for Samanic. He's young and still growing physically and mentally. Trust the ST armchairs on here to label him a bust already. :lol

Prime BEEF
03-09-2020, 01:02 PM
I want to see another offseason for Samanic. He's young and still growing physically and mentally. Trust the ST armchairs on here to label him a bust already. :lol
To be fair, he’s not a bust to those that never thought he was good in the first place.

jjktkk
03-09-2020, 01:15 PM
To be fair, he’s not a bust to those that never thought he was good in the first place.

How can you properly evaluate a player after one season? That's crazy. Samanic has never even played NBA minutes until the other night. He's 2o years old! You got to give him a legitimate chance to develop. R.C. Buford personally scouted this kid and said he's a project. Give him at least a couple of seasons, if not 3 to develop. Chimezie Metu is a perfect example of a raw, young, player who is slowly maturing into possibly a NBA player. Some of these players need time.

ZeusWillJudge
03-09-2020, 01:51 PM

:lol So my low expectations finally pay off.

Prime BEEF
03-09-2020, 04:19 PM
How can you properly evaluate a player after one season? That's crazy. Samanic has never even played NBA minutes until the other night. He's 2o years old! You got to give him a legitimate chance to develop. R.C. Buford personally scouted this kid and said he's a project. Give him at least a couple of seasons, if not 3 to develop. Chimezie Metu is a perfect example of a raw, young, player who is slowly maturing into possibly a NBA player. Some of these players need time.
He wasn’t good prior to being drafted and the potential IMO (and many others) wasn’t there either.

By your logic everyone no matter how awful they are should get multiple years in the nba before getting criticism. I disagree. If the Warriors pick the 3rd string Center at tarleton state university with the #1 pick then they should be criticized and its ok to say that that player isn’t good.

Samanic was drafted way higher than he should’ve been.

Prime BEEF
03-09-2020, 04:24 PM
:lol So my low expectations finally pay off.
Haha yeah. I hope he turns into a great player but the odds from the beginning were never in his favor. He’s a 2nd round project guy that we drafted at 19. Nothing more nothing less.

TD 21
03-09-2020, 04:37 PM
His athleticism and skillset is obviously an intriguing combination and reminiscent of Siakam, but it's all going to come down to whether he can develop his 3 to the extent where it sets up his advanced off the dribble game and whether he can attain enough strength to not be a physical liability defensively.

Absent that, he's another Saric or Lyles (or Gordon, at least offensively) in the making, with a mostly theoretical skillset that doesn't actually translate into being a positive impact player.

exstatic
03-09-2020, 04:43 PM
His athleticism and skillset is obviously an intriguing combination and reminiscent of Siakam, but it's all going to come down to whether he can develop his 3 to the extent where it sets up his advanced off the dribble game and whether he can attain enough strength to not be a physical liability defensively.

Absent that, he's another Saric (#12) or Lyles (#12) (or Gordon (#4) , at least offensively) in the making, with a mostly theoretical skillset that doesn't actually translate into being a positive impact player.

Those comparables were drafted much higher than Luka, but people still bitch about him at #19.

jjktkk
03-09-2020, 08:05 PM
He wasn’t good prior to being drafted and the potential IMO (and many others) wasn’t there either.If by many others, you mean on here, that actually works against your opinion. I will give you credit and say you're actually trying to debate with reasonable takes. [/QUOTE]

By your logic everyone no matter how awful they are should get multiple years in the nba before getting criticism. I disagree. If the Warriors pick the 3rd string Center at tarleton state university with the #1 pick then they should be criticized and its ok to say that that player isn’t good.

Samanic was drafted way higher than he should’ve been.You can criticize Saminic all you want. But I will disagree with you on a player who is only 20 years old and raw. This wouldn't be the 1st time a team has reached on a player. Given Saminic's size and skill set, I can see why the Spurs reached on him. Since R.C. personally scouted this kid and stated he was a project and will take time, I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. [/QUOTE]

Prime BEEF
03-09-2020, 09:17 PM
If by many others, you mean on here, that actually works against your opinion. I will give you credit and say you're actually trying to debate with reasonable takes.

You can criticize Saminic all you want. But I will disagree with you on a player who is only 20 years old and raw. This wouldn't be the 1st time a team has reached on a player. Given Saminic's size and skill set, I can see why the Spurs reached on him. Since R.C. personally scouted this kid and stated he was a project and will take time, I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. [/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I hope he improves. Spurs future looks very bleak right now. We can’t afford to miss on draft picks.

ZeusWillJudge
03-10-2020, 12:04 AM
You can criticize Saminic all you want.

Well, I was done criticizing him. But since you said that I sort of feel like I should do a little bit more. :lol

Look, some of us watch young guys coming into the draft every year, and try to pick out the ones that we think are going to be good, and the ones that are going to be duds. Lots of them are 20 years old and raw. We make our minds up about them based on what we see, and comparisons to other players we've watched over the years. I'm not going to change that just because the Spurs drafted one of them.

I'm not giving anyone the benefit of a doubt. They either do or don't. So far, he looks just about like what I expected. If he lives up to all that "potential"... at the NBA level... I'll give him and RC credit. But some of you guys describe him like he's going to have star potential in the NBA some day, and I still don't think that motor will ever let it happen.

Spurs future looks very bleak right now. We can’t afford to miss on draft picks.

And that right there is the biggest thing of all. Even if he improves a lot, unless he turns out to be a bona fide star, it was still a piss poor use of a draft pick, with Clarke and Thybulle on the board, ready to contribute now. And, no, that's not Monday morning quarterbacking. I said it before the draft.

JuneJive
03-10-2020, 05:16 AM
And that right there is the biggest thing of all. Even if he improves a lot, unless he turns out to be a bona fide star, it was still a piss poor use of a draft pick, with Clarke and Thybulle on the board, ready to contribute now. And, no, that's not Monday morning quarterbacking. I said it before the draft.

Why would they take a win-now player and attach them to LMA + DeRozan core.

As if that would make them contenders.

A lot of negativity towards PATFO regarding the future.

Well, taking Samanic tells us something.

jjktkk
03-10-2020, 06:21 AM
Well, I was done criticizing him. But since you said that I sort of feel like I should do a little bit more. :lol

Look, some of us watch young guys coming into the draft every year, and try to pick out the ones that we think are going to be good, and the ones that are going to be duds. Lots of them are 20 years old and raw. We make our minds up about them based on what we see, and comparisons to other players we've watched over the years. I'm not going to change that just because the Spurs drafted one of them.

I'm not giving anyone the benefit of a doubt. They either do or don't. So far, he looks just about like what I expected. If he lives up to all that "potential"... at the NBA level... I'll give him and RC credit. But some of you guys describe him like he's going to have star potential in the NBA some day, and I still don't think that motor will ever let it happen.

I appreciate your insight, but GTFO with "a piss poor use of a draft pick". Way, way over analysis on a player who hasn't even finished his 1st person. What did you think Buford meant when he stated Samanic was a project when he drafted him? All these prospects you just mentioned had question marks, none of them were sure fire, can't miss prospects. You act like the Spurs used a top 3 pick on Samanic. He was the 19th overall pick. If he busts, then you and your cronies can throw out I told ya so, but take a breath and give this kid time to develop.

TimDunkem
03-10-2020, 07:15 AM
Thybulle was definitely a can't miss defensive minded perimeter player this team could've used.

exstatic
03-10-2020, 09:08 AM
Thybulle was definitely a can't miss defensive minded perimeter player this team could've used.

He's a complete negative on offense, and DOES actually make Kyle Anderson look like Magic. He also averages less than a rebound per game in almost 20 minutes. To put that into perspective, Bryn Forbes, who is probably the worst rebounding Spur to take the floor in the 30+ years I've been a fan, averages 2 boards in 25 minutes. Thybulle is just the other side of the Forbes coin, someone you can't keep on the floor because of a complete lack of one side of the game. Forbes lacks any sense of defense, and Thybuylle lacks any sense of offense.

DaBears
03-10-2020, 09:30 AM

I have watched a couple Austin SPURS games and he is active and show potential and his shooting is not bad either.. Sumanic, Lawson,Metu are all nice players, maybe not all-star caliber but diffidently can be a contributing starter in the future.

ZeusWillJudge
03-10-2020, 08:09 PM
I appreciate your insight, but GTFO with "a piss poor use of a draft pick". Way, way over analysis on a player who hasn't even finished his 1st person. What did you think Buford meant when he stated Samanic was a project when he drafted him? All these prospects you just mentioned had question marks, none of them were sure fire, can't miss prospects. You act like the Spurs used a top 3 pick on Samanic. He was the 19th overall pick. If he busts, then you and your cronies can throw out I told ya so, but take a breath and give this kid time to develop.

GTFO? What does that mean? Do I just have to leave this thread, or do I have to leave ST altogether? :lol

The Spurs used to draft projects because they were a perennial championship contender, and they often had a roster that was basically full. When there's no chance that 28-30 pick is going to make the roster as a rookie, what do you do? You pick a guy with huge upside, stash him, and hope.

Now the Spurs current roster is short talent/depth. They can't afford projects - they need contributors. (Even a minor upgrade is an upgrade.) Begin to set a solid base for the future. So, yeah, drafting a project was a bad use of a draft pick in their current situation. You just don't seem to be able to understand - it isn't about hating Samanic, or whether he might develop. It was the wrong play at the wrong time.
It just was.

RC_Drunkford
03-10-2020, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty high on Samanic. Think he can be a legit starter with the perfect skill set for the modern NBA. He just needs time. Definitely needs to spend another year in the G-League, but after that he should be cracking the rotation.

ZeusWillJudge
03-10-2020, 11:33 PM
I'm pretty high on Samanic. Think he can be a legit starter with the perfect skill set for the modern NBA. He just needs time. Definitely needs to spend another year in the G-League, but after that he should be cracking the rotation.

Brandon Clarke was NBA-ready this season. By the time Samanic (hopefully) has his second year in the G-League and is ready to "crack the rotation" Clarke will have two full years in the NBA and will already be a legit starter. At the end of the next season, the Spurs will have to extend Samanic based on hope, to keep him around. Clarke will be getting extended because he's a known quantity.

Thybulle was a sort of project. If he gets his 3P shot to start falling like he did in college, he could be a starter on most teams in the league. The difference is, he's a project who was also NBA ready this year. If the Spurs had his defense, especially to close games, they would be in the playoffs.

"Cracking the rotation" in his third year (maybe) is a pretty low return for a team that needs to at least get back into playoff contention.

Atl Spur
03-11-2020, 12:11 AM
Brandon Clarke was NBA-ready this season. By the time Samanic (hopefully) has his second year in the G-League and is ready to "crack the rotation" Clarke will have two full years in the NBA and will already be a legit starter. At the end of the next season, the Spurs will have to extend Samanic based on hope, to keep him around. Clarke will be getting extended because he's a known quantity.

Thybulle was a sort of project. If he gets his 3P shot to start falling like he did in college, he could be a starter on most teams in the league. The difference is, he's a project who was also NBA ready this year. If the Spurs had his defense, especially to close games, they would be in the playoffs.

"Cracking the rotation" in his third year (maybe) is a pretty low return for a team that needs to at least get back into playoff contention.

So........you call bust on Luka?

Prose
03-11-2020, 12:29 AM
if he is soo good how come we have seen more of our second pick over him and he plays in a position of need