PDA

View Full Version : It's not as bad as it seems -- The Solution

KoriEllis
07-16-2003, 09:34 PM
The KoriEllis and timvp 2003 - '04 Roster

Center

Rasho Nesterovic - 30 mpg
Most people aren't high on this guy's game. But there has to be some reason why Pop was driving through Serbia/Slovenia for five hours on July 1. Believe in the system and let him play. If he sucks, trade him come Dec 15.

Kevin Willis - 7 mpg
Obviously, he proved last season that he can give you what you need from a back-up big man.

Tim Duncan - 11 mpg
Nothing to say.

Power Forward

Tim Duncan - 27 mpg

Malik Rose - 21 mpg
Malik's minutes may go up or down depending on the effectiveness of Rasho. Malik has shown that he's comfortable in any role.

Small Forward

Bruce Bowen - 30 mpg
You can't bench this guy. His job is to guard the best swingmen in the league. The best swingmen starts, so he starts. Depending on the progression of Manu and Jack defensively, he could see less minutes as the season wears on.

Stephen Jackson - 10 mpg

Scottie Pippen - 8 mpg
The Spurs should look to pick up Pippen to fill in spot minutes at the 1, 2 and 3. He's a savvy, tough-minded veteran who will not be effected by his minutes fluctuating from game-to-game.

Shooting Guard

Stephen Jackson - 22 mpg
The Spurs want this guy to stay. He didn't entertain any suitors as a free agent. He has proven himself to be a clutch, big game performer. Look for him to hone his fundamentals and cut down his turnovers.

Manu Ginobili - 26 mpg
Manu will be a spark plug to the team whether he earns a starting spot, or continues to come off the bench. He has amazing court vision. He will probably develop more of an outside shot and earn more minutes as the season progresses.

Point Guard

Tony Parker - 35 mpg
Despite being almost run out of town by Jason Kidd. Tony is the man of the future for the Spurs at the point. He's no longer a boy and can't use the "kid" excuse for inconsistencies this season. Those 20+ point games that we saw from him last season should come even more often.

Manu Ginobili - 7 mpg

Scottie Pippen - 6 mpg

Spot Minutes off the bench:
Steve Kerr
Robert Horry
Devin Brown

This roster will be youth and athleticism mixed in with veterans off the bench that are looking to do what it takes to get back to the Championship. Steve Kerr, Robert Horry and Scottie Pippen have 16 rings between them.

Right now, Horry is waiting for the Spurs until Monday to see if he's coming to SA. Pippen is a target of the Spurs, but is considering Chicago. He should seriously take a look at San Antonio where he could have a shot of winning his 7th ring (one more than Jordan). Willis and Kerr should definitely be back in Spurs uniforms. Devin Brown is having a good showing in Summer League again, is a San Antonio favorite and should have a legitimate shot at making the roster.

If they sign Pippen and Horry to one-year contracts , they will have about $7-8 Million available next season to assure that Manu stays in S.A. If they spend all their money, they would only have the MLE. This is a consideration of the Spurs management. They want Manu here.

I know pundits are annointing the Lakers the Champions already. But this Spurs team would be right up there. Adding Payton to Los Angeles is obviously a big improvement, but the season is 82 games long. Last season, no one believed in the Spurs at the onset of the year either.

Obviously everyone wanted to sign a top-tier FA this summer. But since that didn't happen, there is no reason to run for the hills or start to majorly overhaul the roster. The Spurs are coming off a Championship season. These players are the ones that won that Championship.

So friends, this is our solution at this point.

What's yours?

Question.

ducks
07-16-2003, 09:37 PM
they should be ok if the can sign pippen

by the way good post

and no I would not mind over paying pippen and horry for one year to make sure they said yes. fa's are having a hard time doing that this year

SpursWoman
07-16-2003, 10:02 PM
Excellent roster...."making due" with what has already got you there shouldn't be such the bad thing it feels like around here these days.

I'd love to see Devin on this team. :)

Although seeing Horry as a Spur would be almost as strange as it would have Malone, he'd be a solid pick-up.

TwoHandJam
07-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Nice post Kori. I'm still not myself after knowing we lost Brand but I feel that the FO must have done everything in its power to make it happen. I know Pop really coveted Brand so I'm sure he exhausted all the avenues. Fucking sucks. :cuss :depressed

I think rounding out the roster as you suggest looks good. The key part is letting Manu have some minutes at backup pg. I really think he could thrive in that situation if given the chance. Pippen would be a great signing as he can play the 1,2 and 3. They should make it a priority to get him.

MannyIsGod
07-16-2003, 10:15 PM
We have a championship caliber roster.

No doubt.

I'm just tired of getting punked by FA's not named Rasho.

texbound
07-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Good post Kori.

One thing I wanted was for the Spurs to able to grab someone for the long haul. Pippen and Horry would be good pickups for this year, but what about the next year? That's why a player like Brand or Odom would be great pickups throughout Duncans "wonder years". Parker and Manu are and will be excellent teammates, but something else needs to be added. I would prefer Odom because of his athelticism and his versatility, but I am wary of his prior offenses (Let's face it, when you play for the Clippers you need something to get you through the pain). If Odom is not attainable, i would look to other players like:

Scottie Pippen
Robert Horry
James Posey
Jumaine Jones
Eric Piatkowski
Donnell Harvey

But Odom would be my top choice. Other than that, unless a trade could be worked out for nice SF, plug the gaps for one year and try again next year.

Tex

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2003, 10:41 PM
I will say that if we can add Horry and Pippen that will take out some of the sting from this summer.

AHF

gospurs21
07-16-2003, 10:58 PM
great line up and post.

The only thing I would disagree with is Tim's minutes. I think after the Olympic qual games, Tim shouldn't average above 32-35 minutes a game, so that he will be fresh down the stretch (March - April) and playoffs. Anybody remember the seasons David played the previous summer Olympics?

Maybe this will increase Malik's numbers, but the biggest effect would be allowing the rest of the team to become less dependent on Tim. This is a good thing in my opinion.

Go Spurs...

spurster
07-16-2003, 11:29 PM
I don't know that the Spurs will be able to pick up Horry or Pippen for spot minutes. I would think both of them are willing to be backups, but not out of the rotation. I would rather have a true PG as the backup PG, but the pickings aren't all that great there.

SAmikeyp
07-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Kori for GM!!! :fro

nice job boss!

ShoogarBear
07-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Horry and Kerr between them have won every championship in the last ten years.

If we have both, then I agree that a parade should already be planned for next year, just not in LA like everyone thinks.

Dunkel Weizen
07-17-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Pippen will end up back in Chicago to mentor the Baby Bulls.

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 12:36 AM
Pippen has been playing 30 mpg for the last few years and has missed about 20 games of each of those seasons. So in my rotation, that's why he's only getting 15 mpg.

As for Horry, he finished last season as a shell of his former self. If he gets healthy he could pick 15 mpg as well depending on the how things go.

I think both of them would consider coming to SA for these kind of minutes and more than reasonable 1-year contracts.

The Spurs are looking at both these guys. Also they are looking at Terrence Morris, Dion Glover, Devin Brown and now Udonis Haslem as possibilities to fill out the squad.

Though the possibility of trades isn't ruled out, I personally don't see giving up one or more of our key guys just to "do something" this offseason.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-17-2003, 12:40 AM
yeah...Chicago has already offered a "life after basketball" job for Pippen...Scotty would be nuts to sign a one year offer with the Spurs...

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 12:44 AM
I know about his offer and promises from Chicago. But I'm just noting that the Spurs are going after him and he has a chance to win another ring in SA -- and be one up on Michael. :elephant f

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2003, 12:54 AM
I don't think you're allowed to promise jobs to convince a player to sign, could be wrong...

AHF

genghisrex
07-17-2003, 01:10 AM
Horry and Kerr between them have won every championship in the last ten years.Add Pippen and we'd have veterans from each of the last 13 championship teams on the Spurs.

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 04:54 AM
wouldnt that be unprecedented Ghengis??

I mean vets from the last 13 rings???

I mean thats unfathomable.

timvp
07-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Good post, Princess:drunk

Kerr, Pippen, Horry and Willis would be the Bad Azz Squad:makemyday

bigzak25
07-17-2003, 11:22 AM
IF pop can figure the minutes and keep that team happy, then he would deserve another coach of the year award...
the good thing is that the Spurs have a track record of being straightforward with FA's, so anyone who signs here should know they have to earn their minutes....even Pippen and Horry.

Rabel 13
07-17-2003, 11:27 AM
I would like to see another point on the roster though, at least on IR.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-17-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't think you're allowed to promise jobs to convince a player to sign, could be wrong...

you can promise jobs...

you can't promise ownership...

NCaliSpurs
07-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Kerr, Pippen, Horry and Willis would be the Bad Azz Squad

During the regular season, I can already see Pop putting Kerr, Horry, Willis, Pippen, and Duncan on the floor when the youngens mess up.

They might be slow, but they would be clever and ballsy.