PDA

View Full Version : How the NBA Being Suspended Due to the Coronavirus Impacts the Spurs

timvp
03-13-2020, 01:55 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-impact-nba-season-suspended/

tl;dr: Stay safe.

MoSpur02
03-13-2020, 03:01 AM
Spurs Sports & Entertainment employees are working from home.

JPB
03-13-2020, 03:21 AM
I honestly don't see a scenario where the season is truncated and all RS games are not played.

Too unfair, there would be too many teams complaining, specially with different schedules. What would be the value of the PO and the title then? Not to mention money issues ofc.

As far as SA chances being "slim" even before the crisis... I'm not so sure. A win against MEM and they were only 2 games behind in the loss column with another 18 games then to be played and the Grizz with a much harder schedule.

With Aldridge returning and what they showed against Dallas... who knows?

tholdren
03-13-2020, 06:29 AM
Dumb

BillMc
03-13-2020, 06:42 AM
Great stuff OP. Many thanks!

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2020, 07:30 AM
playoff streak not impacted

XDT76
03-13-2020, 07:35 AM
Maybe White, Murray, Walker and KJ can practice more 3 ball and when season resumes Forbes can starts from the bench.

Chinook
03-13-2020, 08:10 AM
Yeah, there's no lockout, so there's nothing to stop Pop from getting some coaching in, even if it's just over the phone. Still, gotta hope the season is done.

tbdog
03-13-2020, 08:14 AM
I can imagine some crazy stuff going to happen in the NBA. Silver has made or wants to make game changing decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if the playoffs is every team, best our of 3 and a big * on the title

K...
03-13-2020, 08:38 AM
The streak is absolutely over. No one is giving us benefit of the doubt here.

RC_Drunkford
03-13-2020, 08:43 AM
Yeah, there's no lockout, so there's nothing to stop Pop from getting some coaching in, even if it's just over the phone. Still, gotta hope the season is done.

As if Flopovich's coaching has a positive impact :lmao he had all season plus preseason to coach them and look what he has done

SAGirl
03-13-2020, 09:25 AM
I Don’t think the streak is intact although to each their own. They were not a good team and are headed for the lottery and likely will pick there. Although how the league will address the draft specifically is still unknown. As much as the playoffs were still undecided (and seeding for teams already ahead) so were lottery slots and that’s more significant for the Spurs.

Actually making the playoffs is the antithesis of picking in the lottery.

MoSpur02
03-13-2020, 10:06 AM
This has been a horrible season for the Spurs and this cancellation is the icing on the cake

DPG21920
03-13-2020, 10:13 AM
timvp - let’s say Derozan does not decline his option. If SA was not going to extend him, that doesn’t change. So what’s the plan then? Run this same team back??? Or do they need to trade him?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-13-2020, 10:16 AM
the streak lives! fuk an asterisk

JPB
03-13-2020, 10:16 AM
I can imagine some crazy stuff going to happen in the NBA. Silver has made or wants to make game changing decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if the playoffs is every team, best our of 3 and a big * on the title

Didn't think about that but that's an intriguing idea :lobt2:

baseline bum
03-13-2020, 10:31 AM

I hope the season is not done. If we actually get NBA games being played again it would mean we got this pandemic under some sort of control and a lot less people will die than currently projected.

LCM
03-13-2020, 10:35 AM
The only team that will be pitching a fit if the season ended without any more regular season games is the Pelicans. With the Grizzlies schedule and a chance to have a Zion vs LBJ match up in the first round on TV, I wouldn't put anything past the NBA right now.

Nothing in the off season means a damn thing if Pop isn't dealt with first. If he wants to go after the most wins for a coach in NBA history, he can do it with another team. This is a time where ownership needs to look at everything within the structure of Spurs Sports and Entertainment, including Pop, and make changes now!

The summer league aspect of that article is interesting. It makes it more imperative to have coaches who are more geared for development and teaching the team's younger players, current and future draft picks, not only in practice but also in games because they need to play NOW! The streak is done. All hail the streak! Put coaches in place like Becky, Ahearn, Atkinson if that is the route you take, and move forward. I think TD would do his best work in the practice facility and pregame. I think he has been used wrongly by Pop. I think TD has been used as a human shield by Pop toward Hammond. It seems plain that Pop has made his decision that Hammond shouldn't succeed him on the bench, it hasn't been stated plainly why because Pop is too much of a coward to make that declaration and then have to face the firestorm of the media and explain himself.

This offseason is going to be more interesting than first thought because of the impact this virus has had on the season. The short fall in money and how that is going to impact teams will be watched. Opt ins and trades are going to be looked at even more as an option for teams and potential free agents trying to better their situations. Now is the time for ownership to start molding what the Spurs are going to be in the future because the past and this present season is done.

rogcl1
03-13-2020, 11:06 AM
I honestly don't see a scenario where the season is truncated and all RS games are not played.

Too unfair, there would be too many teams complaining, specially with different schedules. What would be the value of the PO and the title then? Not to mention money issues ofc.

As far as SA chances being "slim" even before the crisis... I'm not so sure. A win against MEM and they were only 2 games behind in the loss column with another 18 games then to be played and the Grizz with a much harder schedule.

With Aldridge returning and what they showed against Dallas... who knows?

I don't think Memphis would be the Spurs primary concern. As you say , the schedule does not favor them. If I were a gambling man I would place my money on the Pelicans. Three remaining games with the Spurs if I looked correctly and they are playing well.

cd021
03-13-2020, 11:31 AM
I could see the NBA coming back and playing a shortened remaindered of the RS. Maybe 10 games then the playoffs start. Probably a best of 5 for the first two rounds.

Finals start in July, after the NBA draft. Then the off-season, August 1st. No Summer league, obviously and the 2020-2021 season starts at the normal time.

Mugen
03-13-2020, 11:47 AM

:lmao

DMC
03-13-2020, 12:52 PM
If Pop can't coach the Olympics we have a chance of bringing home gold I think.

lmbebo
03-13-2020, 01:40 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-players-union-put-175551770.html

tholdren
03-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Figures soft league doing soft things

duncan2k5
03-13-2020, 06:20 PM
I don't think Memphis would be the Spurs primary concern. As you say , the schedule does not favor them. If I were a gambling man I would place my money on the Pelicans. Three remaining games with the Spurs if I looked correctly and they are playing well.

The grizzlies have a harder schedule, yes...but they're also better than us...so there's that

JPB
03-13-2020, 07:59 PM

You might be right although we've been thinking the same for a few weeks now then the Pels started losing and Memphis winning again including vs the Lakers so...

Spurs winning those games vs the Pels (not a given) maybe would also make MEM as a biggest threat then. But Sacto and Portland are there too so my main point was spurs are theorically not that far from the 8th spot.

XDT76
03-13-2020, 08:49 PM
If the season resumes only in July does that mean we will not play DDR, Forbes and Beli anymore?

slick'81
03-13-2020, 08:50 PM
You might be right although we've been thinking the same for a few weeks now then the Pels started losing and Memphis winning again including vs the Lakers so...

Spurs winning those games vs the Pels (not a given) maybe would also make MEM as a biggest threat then. But Sacto and Portland are there too so my main point was spurs are theorically not that far from the 8th spot.

true spurs were still technically alive

UZER
03-13-2020, 09:43 PM
This is a perfect opportunity shorten seasons going forward. 82 games is just too many in today’s ADD environment.

MultiTroll
03-13-2020, 09:48 PM
Is Patty able to host Bryn and the bois for morning coffee meetings?

Is Pop able to have dinners and wine with his select pets and talk about life, Trump, and giving up 120 points per game?

#SpursProblems

rascal
03-14-2020, 12:58 PM
the streak lives! fuk an asterisk

No it doesn't. Can't make the claim there is a streak anymore when you are 12th in the west.

Spurs Homer
03-14-2020, 01:54 PM
is NBA league pass giving refunds?

DPG21920
03-14-2020, 01:57 PM
is NBA league pass giving refunds?

I believe so

Spurs Homer
03-14-2020, 02:20 PM
Thanks! ^

ill look into it...

TimDunkem
03-14-2020, 02:51 PM
:lmao

Yeah, I had to laugh too. :lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-14-2020, 10:25 PM
No it doesn't. Can't make the claim there is a streak anymore when you are 12th in the west.

we were due for a uh 20 game win streak

BackHome
03-16-2020, 10:37 PM
This team sucked and add Pop coaching and no way were we sniffing any Playoff I wonder how they going to do the draft. Hope the Spurs get lucky and that ping pong ball lands on a good number for us.

cd021
03-16-2020, 11:33 PM
If the season resumes only in July does that mean we will not play DDR, Forbes and Beli anymore?

That's a interesting point, the league calendar rolls over on July 1st so they'd be free agents (DeRozan, could be, should he opt out).

Wonder how that works. Also the draft would be before the season resumes.

daslicer
03-16-2020, 11:35 PM
Pop is one of the beneficiaries of the season getting cancelled. He was getting exposed this year and they were people who were starting to realize he had ridden Duncan's coattails his whole entire career. Now that this season is over his crappy coaching will be forgotten and swept underneath the rug.

look_at_g_shred
03-16-2020, 11:44 PM
That's a interesting point, the league calendar rolls over on July 1st so they'd be free agents (DeRozan, could be, should he opt out).

Wonder how that works. Also the draft would be before the season resumes.
It’s been discussed that Draft would be end of August. Free agency September 1st. Season starts December 25th

Spurs and Mavs fan
03-16-2020, 11:56 PM
This is a perfect opportunity shorten seasons going forward. 82 games is just too many in today’s ADD environment.

100% agree. Just make it a 60-game season.

wildbill2u
03-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Silver made a rational choice to suspend play under threatened plague conditions. Flu season normally ends with warmer weather and the Corona appears to be some variant of regular flu viruses--identified briefly before, but possibly enhanced via evolution.

He can always make a another call on the season and games and playoffs later. Fortunately the game is played in air conditioned stadia (just ask LeBron how that works) and the entire season could be resumed in summer months without any nasty ticket refunds. win/win.

exstatic
03-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Silver made a rational choice to suspend play under threatened plague conditions. Flu season normally ends with warmer weather and the Corona appears to be some variant of regular flu viruses--identified briefly before, but possibly enhanced via evolution.

He can always make a another call on the season and games and playoffs later. Fortunately the game is played in air conditioned stadia (just ask LeBron how that works) and the entire season could be resumed in summer months without any nasty ticket refunds. win/win.

Not even close. If it were, we'd have some residual immunity to it from past flu outbreaks. Similar viruses are readily adapted to by the human body.

It's much more like the common cold, on steroids, which is why it is SO FUCKING CONTAGIOUS.