PDA

View Full Version : House Democrats and White House reach deal on coronavirus aid package

baseline bum
03-13-2020, 06:36 PM
House Democrats and White House reach deal on coronavirus aid package
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-vote-friday-democrats-coronavirus-relief-package-n1158306
The legislation, which will be voted on soon, contains provisions for free testing, paid emergency leave and more.

March 13, 2020, 1:49 PM CDT / Updated March 13, 2020, 5:34 PM CDT
By Alex Moe, Rebecca Shabad and Dartunorro Clark

WASHINGTON — House Democrats and the Trump administration have reached a deal on a coronavirus aid package that includes free testing, paid emergency leave and other resources intended to help stem the crisis and stabilize the financial markets, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday.

Pelosi said earlier the House is expected to vote on the bill Friday, which would send it to the Senate for a vote as early as Monday.

“We are proud to have reached an agreement with the Administration to resolve outstanding challenges, and now will soon pass the Families First Coronavirus Response Act," Pelosi said.

The deal was struck after numerous conversations over the last two days between Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. They spoke 13 times on Friday.

President Donald Trump has green-lighted the “Families First Coronavirus Response Act” and was expected to tweet his approval of the deal, two administration officials tell NBC News.

In a letter to her colleagues about the deal, Pelosi said, "This legislation is about testing, testing, testing."

Pelosi said that the legislation would facilitate free coronavirus testing, including for the uninsured. The measure also includes two weeks of paid sick leave and paid family and medical leave. To assist people who lose their jobs amid the outbreak, Pelosi said the bill strengthens unemployment insurance and boosts food security initiatives like food stamps.

It also increases federal funds "for Medicaid to support our local, state, tribal and territorial governments and health systems, so that they have the resources necessary to combat this crisis," she said.

baseline bum
03-13-2020, 06:39 PM
This is a critical first step towards trying to slow the virus's progression through the population to hopefully not completely shock the medical system. I just hope it's not too late. At some point I think we're going to need some kind of stimulus such as a temporary UBI to offset losses such as how hourly workers are going to get clobbered with hours reductions as the economy crashes in the next few months though. But I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Considering Bush already did it in a much less serious situation in 2008 I think a temporary UBI might have a chance.

ElNono
03-13-2020, 06:48 PM
Nancy

boutons_deux
03-13-2020, 07:07 PM
This is a critical first step towards trying to slow the virus's progression through the population to hopefully not completely shock the medical system. I just hope it's not too late.

I read that it's too late for containment.

A real President, but not Trash, seeing what was happening in China and SK, would have acted back in January, but Trash priorized his reelection over the health of USA.

Today, he actually said "It's not my problem" and still blames Obama

Today in the Rose Garden, nobody knew when tests would be available.

So we can expect sick people to be walking around, "going to work" as advised by Trash, thinking maybe they have just the flu, and MUST go to work to make money to pay the bills, not knowing that they have covid-19.

USA doesn't know w/o testing, but at least 600, maybe 1000. actually, 1000+ confirmed now

Monostradamus
03-13-2020, 07:09 PM
Nancy

Thread
03-13-2020, 07:11 PM
Can you imagine trying to get those 2 weeks of sick leave actually paid?

"bill strengthens unemployment." What does that mean?

"testing, testing, testing." is politicization of this crisis. You can't force people to get tested.

It's silly bullshit.

ElNono
03-13-2020, 07:23 PM

Of course I can imagine. Especially with govt footing the bill.

It means some people will lose their jobs over this, either because they can't work, or because companies are going to close, and so unemployment insurance will likely require additional funds, much like in any economic crisis.

Monostradamus
03-13-2020, 07:43 PM

"testing, testing, testing." is politicization of this crisis. You can't force people to get tested.

It's silly bullshit.
Don’t be purposely obtuse.

Winehole23
03-13-2020, 08:46 PM
NancyWill she let Mitch insert the Hyde Amendment language into the bill? If not, the Senate may not vote for it.

Monostradamus
03-13-2020, 08:49 PM
Will she let Mitch insert the Hyde Amendment language into the bill? If not, the Senate may not vote for it.
I’d think even Cocaine Mitch wouldn’t be stupid enough to be the guy who blocked Coronavirus funding.

Will Hunting
03-13-2020, 09:20 PM
I’d think even Cocaine Mitch wouldn’t be stupid enough to be the guy who blocked Coronavirus funding.
Iirc Cocaine Mitch already blocked a paid sick leave bill the house passed to address corona. Anything is possible with him.

Monostradamus
03-13-2020, 09:24 PM
Iirc Cocaine Mitch already blocked a paid sick leave bill the house passed to address corona. Anything is possible with him.
There’s very few people I’d actually want coronavirus to kill, but Mitch is definitely on that list tbh. I can’t wait for him to die so I can take a road trip to Kentucky to piss on his grave :lol

baseline bum
03-13-2020, 09:29 PM

You think he'll go against Trump here? Trump has to know this is his legacy and if he can do anything that keeps the death toll below half a million he'll be doing victory laps nonstop once this is over.

spurraider21
03-13-2020, 09:32 PM
this is objectively good tbh

:lol trump has always been less conservative when he's unfiltered... during his campaing he was talking about the government paying for healthcare to make sure everybody in the US is covered, during one of the meetings about gun control he was talking about having guns taken away before court hearings because otherwise it can be too late.

usually he gives that kind of lip service early on but over time his aides/advisors and congressmen probably tell him to STFU with that stuff and he goes away. but in this circumstance there wasn't enough time to sit around and wait

in this time of emergency and public pressure he ended up agreeing on something surprisingly good for the people :tu

its legitimately relieving that in time of crisis peliso/trump were able to work together and get something done

Monostradamus
03-13-2020, 09:32 PM
With Trump fully supporting this, there’s no way Cocaine Mitch’s bitch ass will go against it. A more spineless twat has never existed, tho Paul Ryan did come close.

ElNono
03-13-2020, 10:04 PM
Moscow Mitch will have to bit da ol' bullet on this one, methinks.

Isn't he up for re-election too? Good times to pander.

Trainwreck2100
03-13-2020, 10:24 PM

He's not going to lose he's running against a woman, in Kentucky. Also I don't know if it's really a woman

Thread
03-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Frankly it is a limp dick response. There is no definition to it: just a rehash of former save attempts at other past junctures of disaster. Totally inadequate, sparse & dull.

It will have to be done & redone again, & very soon.

Monostradamus
03-13-2020, 11:00 PM
Frankly it is a limp dick response. There is no definition to it: just a rehash of former save attempts at other past junctures of disaster. Totally inadequate, sparse & dull.

It will have to be done & redone again, & very soon.
Trumo approved it and fully backs it.

Thread
03-13-2020, 11:01 PM

& he can afford to.

Thread
03-13-2020, 11:04 PM
Trumo approved it and fully backs it.

& I love him & he's wrong & wrong headed.

Garden variety happy horseshit response to a catastrophic event that they have no idea how to capture, "look eye" & recognize it's boundless scope.

ElNono
03-13-2020, 11:34 PM
Looking after people that lost their business or jobs due to a catastrophic event completely outside of their control is "happy horseshit"?

This is the type of logic that causes some people to demand abolishing the safety nets, but then complain when they see homeless shitting on the street, or women seeking abortions. smh

Thread
03-13-2020, 11:39 PM
Looking after people that lost their business or jobs due to a catastrophic event completely outside of their control is "happy horseshit"?

This is the type of logic that causes some people to demand abolishing the safety nets, but then complain when they see homeless shitting on the street, or women seeking abortions. smh

Reference my post, don't be a pussy, El.

DMC
03-14-2020, 12:08 AM

The homeless aren't there because of lack of social safety nets. Australia has a ton of homeless folks running around causing trouble. They have huge safety nets.

ElNono
03-14-2020, 05:22 AM
Reference my post, don't be a pussy, El.

Nobody else said happy horseshit, you know who I was talking to.

Comments like that are why non-boomers hate boomers. It's all about me, and what I get for myself, and especially, don't give to anybody else, because I need to get mine.

The homeless aren't there because of lack of social safety nets. Australia has a ton of homeless folks running around causing trouble. They have huge safety nets.

Depends on the city, tbh... Australia has 1 in 200 people homeless overall, but it's much more pronounced in large cities. The US is the same. The average is 1 in 578 people homeless, but in a city like Los Angeles, that's 1 in 66.

And yet, Australia spends less on government (36%) as a percentage of their economy than the US does (38%).

I'll agree that homelessness is a complex problem to just peg it into a single issue (ie: safety nets), but shitty safety nets are definitely one part of the problem. Lack of affordable housing is as much (or more) of a political problem as it is an economics.

boutons_deux
03-14-2020, 07:35 AM
Nancy

I'm "excited" to say fuck Nancy's "proud"

$100Millionaire Nancy is against any and all progressive projects, like Medicare for All which have obviated this disgusting, self-congratulating Congressional deal, which the Repugs will screw up anyway.

Splits
03-14-2020, 08:02 AM
Nancy

Thread
03-14-2020, 09:41 AM
Nobody else said happy horseshit, you know who I was talking to.

But, I don't know you've responded unless I come by that response by accident.

It's like you want to get your point in, but, won't alert me so I can respond.

I do apologize for calling you "pussy," El. I was in a shit mood. Sorry about that, fellow.

Winehole23
03-14-2020, 01:21 PM
Devil in the details: the bill excludes paid leave for companies with more than 500 or less than 50 employees.

baseline bum
03-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Devil in the details: the bill excludes paid leave for companies with more than 500 or less than 50 employees.

Knew it was too good to be true. Fuck this country.

RandomGuy
03-14-2020, 01:29 PM
this is objectively good tbh

:lol trump has always been less conservative when he's unfiltered... during his campaing he was talking about the government paying for healthcare to make sure everybody in the US is covered, during one of the meetings about gun control he was talking about having guns taken away before court hearings because otherwise it can be too late.

usually he gives that kind of lip service early on but over time his aides/advisors and congressmen probably tell him to STFU with that stuff and he goes away. but in this circumstance there wasn't enough time to sit around and wait

in this time of emergency and public pressure he ended up agreeing on something surprisingly good for the people :tu

its legitimately relieving that in time of crisis peliso/trump were able to work together and get something done

That's the thing though. He won't meet with her. He is acting, even now, like some fucking middle schooler. "you tell nancy"....

spurraider21
03-14-2020, 01:43 PM

Good grief

Chinook
03-14-2020, 02:21 PM
I wanna think this'll be good anyway, because even if those people are going to lose their jobs and be homeless, they can't go around infecting other people. If they have the virus, they won't be able to work eventually anyway, so they won't be worse off. At the same time, it's just so obviously shitty that it makes you realize why the parties can't get together on anything. They just end up with some half-assed response.

Winehole23
03-14-2020, 02:27 PM
Knew it was too good to be true. Fuck this country.If I was a GOP Senator, I would tweak the exemptions, pass a slightly more generous bill and dunk on the Democrats for being too stingy.

Blake
03-14-2020, 02:55 PM
I wanna think this'll be good anyway, because even if those people are going to lose their jobs and be homeless, they can't go around infecting other people.

Uh are you serious?

Chinook
03-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Uh are you serious?

Yes. I didn't say it was preferable at all. I'd rather the bill not be a neutered piece of shit. But sick people need to stay home regardless of whether they get paid or not. So if this bill tricks them into thinking they don't need to work, it's better than no bill. But again, I hate the bill for not doing what it's advertised as doing. That's bullshit, and Congress should be ashamed of themselves.

ElNono
03-14-2020, 05:01 PM
But, I don't know you've responded unless I come by that response by accident.

It's like you want to get your point in, but, won't alert me so I can respond.

I do apologize for calling you "pussy," El. I was in a shit mood. Sorry about that, fellow.

I was lazy to hit the reply button, tbh, but wasn't intentional. Honestly, it was a more general argument built on what you posted than an actual response.

ElNono
03-14-2020, 05:02 PM

This is why we can't have nice things

Thread
03-14-2020, 05:05 PM
I was lazy to hit the reply button, tbh, but wasn't intentional. Honestly, it was a more general argument built on what you posted than an actual response.

Thanks, El. You're a fine fellow.

Splits
03-14-2020, 05:15 PM
Thanks, El. You're a fine fellow.

https://i.imgur.com/vDxJOf6.gif

boutons_deux
03-15-2020, 12:33 PM
That's the thing though. He won't meet with her.

his PERSONAL commitment to himself overwhelms Trash's responsibility to all Americans and America.

Fuck all assholes who voted for and still defend Trash. YOU are the direct cause of electing Repugs who make America fucked and unfuckable.

Trash's Presidency IS FUCKING OVER

Blake
03-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Yes. I didn't say it was preferable at all. I'd rather the bill not be a neutered piece of shit. But sick people need to stay home regardless of whether they get paid or not. So if this bill tricks them into thinking they don't need to work, it's better than no bill. But again, I hate the bill for not doing what it's advertised as doing. That's bullshit, and Congress should be ashamed of themselves.

Not that. It's the part where you think homeless people can't go around infecting other people

Chinook
03-15-2020, 04:27 PM
Not that. It's the part where you think homeless people can't go around infecting other people

I didn't say that. I'm assuming they won't be homeless until after they recover. They'd lose their residences because they couldn't pay rent because they didn't go to work. That's not an immediate process.