PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap Room

KoriEllis
03-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Let's breakdown three scenarios, if the salary cap comes in at $40M, $42M and $44M. How much money would the Spurs have to sign free agents? (In these scenarios, we have renounced Claxton, Jackson and the first round pick. And the Max free agent is at the 30% level).

$40M Cap
Malik Rose - $4,760,000.00
Bruce Bowen - $3,733,333.00
Manu Ginobili - $1,543,500.00
Tony Parker - $856,200.00
Tim Duncan - $12,000,000.00
Roster Fill - $2,096,748.00
Total Paid - $24,989,781.00
Est. Cap - $40,000,000.00
Available Room - $15,010,219.00
Max Agent - $12,000,000.00
After Max - $3,010,219.00

$42M Cap
Tim Duncan - $12,600,000.00
Total Paid - $25,589,781.00
Est. Cap - $42,000,000.00
Available Room - $16,410,219.00
Max Agent - $12,600,000.00
After Max - $3,810,219.00

$44M Cap
Tim Duncan - $13,200,000.00
Total Paid - $26,189,781.00
Est. Cap - $44,000,000.00
Available Room - $17,810,219.00
Max Agent - $13,200,000.00
After Max - $4,610,219.00

So, the "certain" Spurs experts who are claiming that we will have $7-8M left after signing a MAX free agent are way off target. If the cap comes in at a modest $42M, we will have a little under $4M left and need to make offers to Jack and Speedy.

Thoughts??

** "Roster Fill" equals 6 roster spots times the minimum salary

DuffMcCartney
03-15-2003, 09:05 PM
I have no thoughts on it. Money confuses me.

coz
03-15-2003, 09:33 PM
I've been working on a free agent thread for the better part of an hour, I wish I would have just added it here.....

baseline bum
03-15-2003, 10:18 PM
I've seen Duncan's option listed at about $13.3 million (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm) and the Spurs will have to spend $366,931 (http://www.nbpa.com/cba/exhibits/exhibitC.html) for each empty roster spot under 11 (Spurs will have 6 slots open).

http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleVII.html#section4

(f) Incomplete Rosters.

(1) Beginning with the 1999-2000 Salary Cap Year, if at any time from July 1 through the day prior to the first day of the Regular Season a Team has fewer than eleven (11) players, determined in accordance with subsection (f)(2) below, included in its Team Salary, then the Team’s Team Salary shall be increased by an amount calculated as follows:

STEP 1:Subtract from eleven (11) the number of players included in Team Salary.

STEP 2:If the result in Step 1 is a positive number, multiply the result in Step 1 by the Minimum Annual Salary applicable to players with zero (0) Years of Service for that Salary Cap Year.

(2) In determining whether a Team has fewer than eleven (11) players included in its Team Salary for purposes of subsection (1) above only, the only players who shall be counted are (i) players on the Team’s Active List (including any injured players) who are included in Team Salary, (ii) Free Agents who are included in Team Salary pursuant to Section 4 (a)(2) above, and (iii) unsigned First Round Picks who are included in Team Salary pursuant to Section 4(e) above.

Therefore, I think they have noting significant to spend after Kidd if they make the Early Bird qual offer of $750k to allow them to go over the cap to resign Jax.

Peter
03-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Kori took the minimum roster charge into account.

baseline bum
03-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Whoops... my bad

I think it's a couple hundred thousand short though, because the CBA specifies the minimum scale for someone with 0 years is $366,931 for the 2003-04 season.

baseline bum
03-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Jax can be made a restricted free agent, thus allowing the Spurs to go over the cap to sign him up to the middle class exception by offering him a qualifying offer of about $815,000.

(b) Beginning with the 1999-2000 Salary Cap Year, any Veteran Free Agent whose first Season in the NBA was the 1998-99 Season or later (other than a Veteran Free Agent whose Fourth Year Option was not exercised), and who will have three (3) or fewer Years of Service as of the June 30 following the end of the last Season covered by his Player Contract, will be a Restricted Free Agent if his Prior Team makes a Qualifying Offer to the player at any time from the day following such Season through the immediately following June 30. If such a Qualifying Offer is made, then, on the July 1 following the last Season covered by the player’s Player Contract, the player shall become a Restricted Free Agent, subject to a Right of First Refusal in favor of the Team ("ROFR Team"), as set forth in Section 6 below. If such a Qualifying Offer is not made, then the player shall become an Unrestricted Free Agent on such July 1.

www.nbpa.com/cba/articleV...l#section3 (http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleVII.html#section3)

(3) If the player is an Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agent, the new Player Contract must cover at least two Seasons (not including a Season covered by an Option Year) and, subject to Article II, Section 7, may provide in the first Season up to the greater of: (i) 175% of the Regular Salary for the final Season covered by his prior Contract, plus 175% of any Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses, respectively, called for in the final Season covered by the player’s prior Contract, or (ii) 108% of the Average Player Salary for the prior Season (or if the prior Season’s Average Player Salary has not been determined, 108% of the Estimated Average Player Salary for the prior Season). Annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 5(c)(2) above.

www.nbpa.com/cba/articleI.html#q (http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleI.html#q)

Definition of Early Qualifying Free Agent

(q) "Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agent" means a Veteran Free Agent who, prior to becoming a Veteran Free Agent, played under one or more Player Contracts covering some or all of each of the two preceding Seasons, and who: (i) either exclusively played with his Prior Team during such two Seasons, or, if he played for more than one Team during such period, changed Teams only (x) by means of assignment, or (y) by signing with his Prior Team during the first of the two Seasons; or (ii) became a Veteran Free Agent on July 1, 1998 and played with his Prior Team for some or all of each of the preceding two Seasons, and who did not change Teams during such two Seasons by signing with his Prior Team as a Veteran Free Agent.

Definition of Qualifying Offer:

(pp) "Qualifying Offer" means an offer of a Uniform Player Contract, signed by the Team, that (i) is either personally delivered to the player or his representative or sent by prepaid certified, registered or overnight mail to the last known address of the player or his representative; (ii) is for a period of one year; and (iii) provides for: (A) for First Round Picks finishing their Rookie Scale Contracts, the percentage increase over the player’s fourth year Salary called for in Exhibit B hereto; and (B) for all other players subject to a right of first refusal in accordance with Article XI, the greater of 125% of the player’s prior Salary or the sum of the Minimum Annual Salary applicable to the player (for the Season covered by the Qualifying Offer) plus $150,000. All terms and conditions in the Qualifying Offer, other than Salary and length of term, must be the same as in the last year of the player’s prior Contract (provided that such terms and conditions are allowable amendments under this Agreement at the time the Qualifying Offer is made).

Therefore the qual offer they can make to Jax is the maximum of $663,679+$150,000 = $813,679 and 1.25*$587,435 = $734294 and will allow them to go over the cap to pay him whatever they want up to the MCX whether or not he signs an offer sheet from another team.

Therefore, if the Spurs keep Jax and if hoopshype is right about Duncan the Spurs are looking at having about $27.19 million or $25.84 million if Kori's figure is correct (hope hoopshype is full of crap). $12 million is what Tim's making this year according to hoopshype.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claxton is probably the odd man out unless he re-signs for scraps. I'm not sure if he can be eligible to be Early Bird like Jax (not sure if assigned is interpreted as traded in the definition of Early Qulaifying Veteran), but even so it will cost $1.35 million to make the qual offer, which might keep them from bringing Kidd in and is way more than he's worth right now with his injury histroy.

Therefore I think the Spurs are looking at a little more than $13 million to spend if they want Jax back and trade their first-rounder, unless the cap increases over the $40.5 million or so it's at right now.

scott
03-15-2003, 11:38 PM
BB... is the "middle class exemption" you mentioned the same as the mid-level exemption? Did we use that last season? I thought you couldn't use it in conseq. years?

baseline bum
03-15-2003, 11:40 PM
BB... is the "middle class exemption" you mentioned the same as the mid-level exemption? Did we use that last season? I thought you couldn't use it in conseq. years?

They're the same thing - 108% of the average salary

The lower exception (officially called the $1 Millon Dollar Exception despite it being worth $1.4 million last season :lol )the team used to sign Ginóbili is the one that can't be used in successive years.

www.nbpa.com/cba/articleV...l#section6 (http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleVII.html#section6)

(d) $1 Million Exception.

Subject to the rules set forth in subsection (k) below:

(1) A Team may sign one or more Player Contracts, not to exceed two Seasons in length, that, in the aggregate, provide for first-year Salaries and Unlikely Bonuses totaling up to the amounts set forth below:

(i) For the 1998-99 Season:$1 million

(ii) For the 1999-2000 Season:$1.1 million

(iii) For the 2000-01 Season:$1.2 million

(iv) For the 2001-02 Season:$1.3 million

(v) For the 2002-03 Season:$1.4 million

(vi) For the 2003-04 Season:$1.5 million

(vii) For the 2004-05 Season$1.6 million

(the NBA exercises its option to extend this Agreement pursuant to Article XXXIX)

(2) A Team may use all or any portion of the $1 Million Exception to sign one or more new Player Contracts during no more than three (3) separate Salary Cap Years during the term of this Agreement (or no more than four (4) separate Salary Cap Years if the NBA exercises its option to extend this Agreement pursuant to Article XXXIX); provided, however, that the $1 Million Exception or any portion thereof may not be used in any two (2) consecutive Salary Cap Years. The prohibition in the preceding sentence against using the $1 Million Exception or any portion thereof in any two (2) consecutive Salary Cap Years shall apply to the 1997-98 Salary Cap Year (i.e., if a Team used all or any portion of the $1 Million Exception during the 1997-98 Salary Cap Year, that Team shall not be permitted to use all or any portion of the $1 Million Exception during the 1998-99 Salary Cap Year).

(3) Player Contracts signed pursuant to the $1 Million Exception covering two (2) Seasons may provide for an increase or decrease in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses for the second Season in accordance with Section 5(c)(1) above.

(4) The $1 Million Exception, if applicable, arises on August 1 of each Salary Cap Year and expires on the last day of the Team’s Regular Season during that Salary Cap Year.

(e) Mid-Level Salary Exception.

Subject to the rules set forth in subsection (k) below:

(1) A Team may sign one (1) or more Player Contracts during each of the 1998-99 through 2000-01 Salary Cap Years, not to exceed six (6) Seasons in length, that, in the aggregate, provide for first-year Salaries and Unlikely Bonuses totaling up to the amounts set forth below:

(i) For the 1998-99 Season: $1.75 million;

(ii) For the 1999-2000 Season: $2.0 million;

(iii) For the 2000-01 Season: $2.25 million;

(2) A Team may sign one (1) or more Player Contracts during each of the 2001-02 through 2003-04 Salary Cap Years (and during the 2004-05 Salary Cap Year if the NBA exercises its option to extend this Agreement pursuant to Article XXXIX), not to exceed six (6) Seasons in length, that, in the aggregate, provide for first-year Salaries and Unlikely Bonuses totaling up to 108% of the Average Player Salary for the prior Season (or, if the prior Season’s Average Player Salary has not been determined, 108% of the Estimated Average Player Salary for the prior Season).

(3) Player Contracts signed pursuant to the Mid-Level Salary Exception may provide for annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses in accordance with Section 5(c)(1) above.

(4) The Mid-Level Salary Exception shall arise on August 1 of each Salary Cap Year and shall expire on the last day of the Team’s Regular Season during that Salary Cap Year.

Technically the Spurs won't have an MCX because they'll be way under the cap July 1st, but they're allowed to match up to the same dollar amount to keep Jax because he's an Early Bird (i.e., Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agent) free agent for the Spurs.

KoriEllis
03-16-2003, 12:03 AM
I've seen Duncan's option listed at about $13.3 million

I did it as if Duncan was resigning and get 30% of the cap in his first contract year.

$366,931

My bad, I used ~ $349K which was the one from this season.

So it's off by a couple hundred grand.

baseline bum
03-16-2003, 12:13 AM
I did it as if Duncan was resigning and get 30% of the cap in his first contract year.

Oh... I was thinking he wouldn't opt out since he stands to lose a lot of money if he does. He can't get 30% until 2004 because he will have 6 seasons completed, but he can still get a deal starting at $12.68 million (105% of his salary this season of a little more than $12 million). If he waits until 2004 to sign a long term deal he can start at the maximum of $13.94 million and 30% of the cap though.

timvp
03-16-2003, 12:36 AM
Very good post, Princess:queen

It looks like the correct number for the cap space including the qualifying offer to Stephen Jackson will be around $14M.

The question whether Duncan will re-sign for a long-term contract or just take his one-year option is an interesting one. We always hear about him opting out and rarely hear that he'd just take the extra year. Looking at the numbers, it would make financial sense for him to take the extra year but that is also giving up a lot of money. Duncan can look at Grant Hill as a reason to take the 7 year contract this offseason.

For the Spurs' FA hunting sake, hopefully Duncan opts out and re-signs. Duncan will know the ramifications of his decision, so hopefully he takes one for the team and sacrifices the money.

The qualifying offer for SJax is a saving grace, although I've heard from somewhere else that there is a penalty for having a player in his "pending" state when you are trying to sign a FA. Hopefully this is not the case. Anyone hear anything about this or is it for sure just a little less than $900K to lock him up?

Hopefully the Spurs find room for Speedy Claxton. He'd grow to be one of the better backup points in the league. But I guess if your goal is Jason Kidd, you don't need to worry about a backup point when you have Kidd and Parker.

This summer will be very intriguing:fro

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-16-2003, 04:33 AM
:shock

Damn. Excellent analysis of the potential cap scenarios this summer.
:)

I feel so enlightened. Glory be, I'm glad I opened this thread!

Kori, Baseline, and Timvp obviously took their ginseng and ginkgo biloba before posting in this thread.

Nice!

smackdaddy11
03-16-2003, 04:58 AM
For the Spurs' FA hunting sake, hopefully Duncan opts out and re-signs. Duncan will know the ramifications of his decision, so hopefully he takes one for the team and sacrifices the money.

Tim can sign a long term extention as of July 16th if he doesn't opt out. The extention can be for 6 years at max pay, with increases. Tim doesn't opt out, yet gets an extention the same time a max FA (or whoever we get) signs his deal.

This or him opting out this year is ok with me. TD actually will do better $ wise not opting out.

I see TD signing an extention about the same time we ink the max FA we get.

Man in Black1
03-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Ahhh Clarity...

With Cap Figures too.

I am impressed.

:brotha

Man in Black1
03-16-2003, 07:09 AM
But if he doesn't opt out, isn't he doing the same thing as Kobe and waiting to see what the new CBA would be to determine what type of contract he is getting?

Also, as classy an individual as Tim is, I don't think its really all about the Cash Money for him. The winning is what is all important.

:white

Nbadan
03-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Hopefully the Spurs find room for Speedy Claxton. He'd grow to be one of the better backup points in the league. But I guess if your goal is Jason Kidd, you don't need to worry about a backup point when you have Kidd and Parker

Agreed. Could this be 'the smoking gun' clue that the Spurs intend to go after Kidd? That's the million dollar question.

My thoughts are that the situation is very fluid, and with Parker turning heads around the league at PG, the Spurs could go in a totally different direction than any that has been discussed in any message forum. Remember that cap space in itself has some value to luxury-tax hounded teams.

The important thing to watch is if TP can keep playing at the rate he has been competing at for the rest of the season. If he can, the Spurs have no real need for Kidd, and I think you'll see a mutual realization by both parties at the end of the playoffs.

baseline bum
03-16-2003, 01:45 PM
But if he doesn't opt out, isn't he doing the same thing as Kobe and waiting to see what the new CBA would be to determine what type of contract he is getting?

I think the league has an option to extend the current CBA to the 2004-05 season.

Kobe holds an option on the 2004-05 season, and if he doesn't exercise it then he can get a contract under the new CBA instead in 2005-06.

I don't see Duncan taking a payut and opting out. If he does opt out he's looking at a deal of about 7 years, $122 million while if he doesn't opt out he's getting $13.3 million next year plus a deal of 7 years, $134.2 million for a grand total of 8 years, $147.5 million (as long as the NBA picks up their option on the CBA for 2004-05).

I think it makes much more sense for him not to opt out because
1) he'll make about $600,000 more this season if he doesn't
2) his raises are $150,000 more per year if he signs his longterm deal next year on top of the base salary (i.e, first season of the contract) being about $1.25 million higher
3) he gets an extra year being paid huge money, which I think will be important because this could be his last really large contract
I don't know that he'll do better testing the market than the $24.4 million he'd be getting at age 34 in the second scenario.

KoriEllis
03-17-2003, 03:08 AM
I am not sure how this is all going to pan out, but it's certainly going to be an interesting summer.

We should feel lucky as Spurs fans that the Spurs have options. Most teams don't have any cap room or options this summer.

Peter
03-17-2003, 04:26 AM
You have to take Kidd if he wants to be a Spur. Worrying about "needs" leads one to talk themself out of Tim Duncan and Jason Kidd wearing the silver and black for the next 6 seasons.

Next I would look at Payton and a decent big, like a Brad Miller...or even Keon Clark. This is feasible so long as a team like NY or Portland doesn't throw a lot of $$$ at Payton. Both teams can send Milwaukee decent talent back in a trade. Payton is still playing at a high level and he would not get a long term deal. Payton is the only free agent this summer other than Kidd who is the type of go-to superstar teammate that Duncan needs...make that: deserves.

Finally I would go with Jermaine O'Neal. He'd definitely be a great acquisition but he is not a franchise player ala Duncan, DRob, Shaq, or Garnett. He would definitely help the Spurs defensively but he is not a championship level go-to player offensively. He plays in the bigman-less Eastern Conference yet his numbers are not too terribly impressive when compared to his would-be peers. Getting O'Neal would basically mean that Parker better develop into a true championship caliber second option for Duncan.

pfc2002
03-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Kori, Baseline, and Timvp obviously took their ginseng and ginkgo biloba before posting in this thread.

agreed. great analysis.

I think BMiller would be a huge mistake. His game is so different from DRobs, he kind of plays like Rose on Offense, getting the ball at the top of the Key and shooting. He's slow footed get's burned one on one. If someone else shoots he runs in trying to get the offensive board... I don't think we want an offense like that.

Kandi would be a mistake also IMO. He is slow footed and teams run plays against him. He doesn't move down the court very well either and has a bad attitude. The nba is changing to a more fluid game and once Shaq retires it will move that way even more... Non mobile big guys are going away.

timvp
03-17-2003, 06:35 PM
I agree with Peter the Great, however I'd switch the JO'Neal and Payton/bigman options.

KoriEllis
03-17-2003, 11:20 PM
It's certainly a great position for the Spurs to be in -- having options.

Guru of Nothing
03-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Dang, I will never ever get a firm grip on the salary cap, but I have a question or two.

If the Spurs don't blow their wad on a max free-agent this off-season, they can't exactly carry it over to the next season, correct? I understand it's a use it or lose it situation.

If so, can we sign Payton to a max contract (or slightly less)for 2 or 3 years (thus getting the "second" all-star, plus preserving our chances of resigning Parker, Manu and Speedy too, AND allowing us to go max again when Payton's contract expires)?

Also, is Darius Miles any sort of free-agent after this season? I can't remember. At $2-3 million, I'd take him. Dude is on the verge of dudding-out, and he might still think he is worth more, but Pop just might be the one to harness that raw talent and make him a solid player. The first rule of investing is "buy low." The Spurs do excel at buying low - Bowen, Parker, Manu, Malik, and many others. ...... and then there is Steve Smith.

smackdaddy11
03-18-2003, 01:04 AM
If the Spurs don't blow their wad on a max free-agent this off-season, they can't exactly carry it over to the next season, correct? I understand it's a use it or lose it situation.

Nope. If they fill out the roster with players with 1 year contracts, the space will be open again next year. Unfortunately, the longer term players get raises every year and depending on the actual cap figure, we could have less than the approx 14 million this year. This is why teams want to spend all the cap space when they have it.

If so, can we sign Payton to a max contract (or slightly less)for 2 or 3 years (thus getting the "second" all-star, plus preserving our chances of resigning Parker, Manu and Speedy too, AND allowing us to go max again when Payton's contract expires)?

We have Parkers full Bird Rights, meaning we can pay him whatever. With Manu, we have Early Bird Rights. We can pay him the MLE (I guess will be about 5.25 million) when his contract expires. Speedy can get some of our cap space if we want him. Kidd or Payton here means no Speedy.

Going "max" when Paytons deal is up would depend on other contracts and what the actual cap would be. To get the cap space the Spurs have this year, teams must target a year to clean house and have room.

Also, is Darius Miles any sort of free-agent after this season? I can't remember. At $2-3 million, I'd take him. Dude is on the verge of dudding-out, and he might still think he is worth more, but Pop just might be the one to harness that raw talent and make him a solid player. The first rule of investing is "buy low." The Spurs do excel at buying low - Bowen, Parker, Manu, Malik, and many others. ...... and then there is Steve Smith.

Miles is not a FA this year. He will get more than 2-3 mil when he is.

Steve Smith............:pc2

timvp
03-27-2003, 03:27 AM
It looks like the Spurs can get 1 MAX free agent and have $2-3M at most left over to play with.

Does it make more sense to get that one MAX FA or divide it amongst 2-3 players?

Does the philosophy change if you win the championship?

spurster
03-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Another assumption in Kori's calculations is that the Spurs sign a 30% max contract (a player with 6 or more seasons) as opposed to a 25% max contract (a player with fewer than 6 seasons). A 25% max contract would add about $2M to the After Max amount.

CrazyOne
03-27-2003, 12:56 PM
I'm glad that there are some folks here who have taken the time and effort to figure out all these cap room rules... then again, it makes me slightly nervous at the same time.:spin

genghisrex
03-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Claxton is probably the odd man out unless he re-signs for scraps. I'm not sure if he can be eligible to be Early Bird like Jax (not sure if assigned is interpreted as traded in the definition of Early Qulaifying Veteran), but even so it will cost $1.35 million to make the qual offer, which might keep them from bringing Kidd in and is way more than he's worth right now with his injury histroy.Speedy's fourth year option would have been $1,659,808. Because the Spurs did not pick-up this option, their Bird Rights are limited to the value of the option ($1,659,808).

As a Bird FA coming off of a rookie scale contract and receiving less than the average salary, 300% of Speedy's current salary ($1,076,400 x 3 = $3,229,200) will count against the cap this summer until he is either re-signed or renounced.

Because Speedy will count more against the cap ($3,229,200) than the Spurs can exceed the cap with Bird Rights to re-sign him ($1,659,808), the team's Bird Rights are useless.

Since the team's Bird Rights will be useless and Speedy will tie up $3,229,200 of cap space, the Spurs will almost certainly renounce him, even if they intend to re-sign him later.

Because Pop/RC did not pick-up Claxton's fourth-year option, he will be an unrestricted FA, and the team cannot restrict him with a Q.O.

KoriEllis
03-27-2003, 03:42 PM
True that I was calculating it on 30% max freeagent, looking at the scenario where most of the money would be eaten by one guy to see what we'd have left.

There are a lot of possibilities. And who knows what the cap will come in at, hopefully at least $43M.

timvp
03-28-2003, 06:16 AM
Nice breakdown, Ginseng.

Losing Claxton would be a bad thing.

It will become even harder to sign him if the Spurs go far in the playoffs and he plays an important role.

Big Syke
03-28-2003, 05:49 PM
So how much space would we have if we signed a 25%er rather than a 30%er?

Spursman
04-08-2003, 09:52 AM
It seems to me that everyone is obsessing over the cap. The real concern should be the luxury cap threshold. You can go over the cap and no big deal, just beware the luxury cap.

timvp
04-08-2003, 11:11 AM
The Spurs won't be able to go over the cap enough to come close to the luxury threshold this season.

DrEmilioLizardo
04-08-2003, 11:24 AM
^^^What timvp said. I think that the Spurs can go over for Jackson, and they have limited Bird rights on Speedy. I believe that they don't have to pay him minimum, they can Bird him up to what his year 4 rookie deal would have been, about 1.9M. I'm not sure what he counts agaisnt the cap after the season, though. Anybody know Speedy's cap figure?

Big Syke
04-08-2003, 12:22 PM
From what I figure it's around two and a half million.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-05-2003, 08:10 PM
timvp,

The qualifying offer for SJax is a saving grace, although I've heard from somewhere else that there is a penalty for having a player in his "pending" state when you are trying to sign a FA. Hopefully this is not the case. Anyone hear anything about this or is it for sure just a little less than $900K to lock him up?

Looks like just the $900K or so.

The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position (see question number 38 ). The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 9 ) plus $150,000, whichever is greater.

Per the CBA.

AHF

MannyIsGod
06-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the link AHF.

A post championship analysis by mean reveals the following.

- Kidd is coming.
- Speedy is almost certainly gone.
- Jax will return

Why? If we go after another big man, we almost certainly will lose Speedy, since if we sign a max free agent and Jax to a deal, we will basicaly have nothing left to sign him.

Oneal appears more and more to be staying with Indiana, We can't sit around and wait for Brand because we have too many open spots on our roster, and bringing in wing players doesn't make sense because we have an over abundence of talented players on the wing as it is.

That leaves us with the Kidd option. The more I think about TP playing with kidd, I like it. I like the influence Kidd would have on Manu and Jax. If Kidd can make RJ look like a superstar at times, I can't wait to see waht he can do with Manu and Jax.

As wierd and scary as it sounds, with the new zone rules , I could see the spurs at times running a 4 guard offense around TP. Kidd, Parker, Jax, and Manu around Tim. Hell, if nothing else, that would be so much fucking fun to watch.

I think this would also mean we would bring back both Kerr and Willis.

So basically this is what I see happening.

-Kidd signing
-Speedy leaving.
-Kerr and Willis coming back along with Jax

It would be wonderful if we could get scola up here to at least see what he has, but doesn't look like that will happen untill next year.