PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone as your only phone

Kori Ellis
11-04-2005, 05:13 PM
How many people here just have a cell phone and not a landline at home anymore?

We are considering getting rid of our house phone. I've seriously only used it like 3 times in the last six months and that's because I had to call overseas.

I'm sick of paying $50 a month for nothing.

What say you?

Gatita
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Get rid of the landline.

It is useless. :td

Useruser666
11-04-2005, 05:15 PM
If you have Time Warner go with the digital. If you don't really need it, dump it.

nkdlunch
11-04-2005, 05:16 PM

We are considering getting rid of our house phone. I've seriously only used it like 3 times in the last six months and that's because I had to call overseas.

What say you?

Get a vonage phone. it works over your internet connection and it's so much cheaper.$15 + if you ever wanna use international long distance, it's so much cheaper. www.vonage.com

midgetonadonkey
11-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I haven't had a home phone in about 3 years. I don't miss it at all.

SpursWoman
11-04-2005, 05:19 PM
We have the digital phone ... my daughter gets $40/mo worth out of it and then some. If she had a cell phone I'd end up either having to sell her or kill her. :lol

Shelly
11-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Funny cuz I rarely use my cell phone!

I have an internet phone for work and it sucks. What's cool about it is that I can intercom over to the main office in CA and it's clear as day. However, if I have to make an actual call out, it's terrible. It cuts out, echos, etc. I hate it and actually use my home phone 99% of the time.

ObiwanGinobili
11-04-2005, 05:28 PM
We've been landline free for 4 1/2 yrs. Couldn't be happier!!!

nkdlunch
11-04-2005, 05:31 PM
my internet phone works great. ANd it's useful for intl long distance and Emergencies, don't forget about emergencies.

Horry For 3!
11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I never use the home phone just cell phone.

tlongII
11-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I only have a cell phone. My bill is still outrageous though.

Kip Fanatic
11-04-2005, 05:41 PM
I have both in case the cell phone cuts out or I forget to charge it. However, I only pay like $15 a month for the landline. I just have the basic though. You never know when you might need it is my theory.

Shaolin-Style
11-04-2005, 05:45 PM
just a home digital phone for me.

I hate cell phones, I can't go anywhere that's supposed to be quiet or where your attention is required without some insanely loud cellphone going off and someone saying sorry while trying to cut it off.

helwardman
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
In England we have to pay line rental to the phone company to be able to get ADSL. So I pay £10 a month to BT just to have a line, then £15 a month to F2S for broadband. :depressed

JoeChalupa
11-04-2005, 06:21 PM
we are seriously thinking of dropping our digital phone landline. We rarely use it and you know my cheap ass likes to cut costs where ever I can.

Carie
11-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Kip, where do you live that your service is only $15 a month?

I keep it around for emergencies: when the battery dies, when John forgets and takes off with both of ours, calling 911 will direct them to your house, when the power goes out and you can't charge your cell phone, if bad weather knocks your tower out of service, if you forget to pay your bill, a number to give people who's call you don't want to have to screen on your 'real' phone but you want them to be able to contact you. I only give my cell phone out to friend/family and anybody I want an immediate call back from.

ducks
11-04-2005, 06:29 PM
http://www.lingosupport.com/howitworks_internet_phone.html

ObiwanGinobili
11-04-2005, 06:31 PM
In England we have to pay line rental to the phone company to be able to get ADSL. So I pay £10 a month to BT just to have a line, then £15 a month to F2S for broadband. :depressed

so in US$ thats roughly $20 plus $30 = $50 for broadband/DSL/Cable internet??
thtas roughly what we all pay too... it;s between $42 and $50 on average without any "sign up" discounts.

boutons
11-04-2005, 06:31 PM
I've got my wire phone, TV cable, and Internet over GrandeCom. One bill to pay. wire phone is $20/month, had the same number 40+ years (transferred from SBC to Grande), is in everybody's personal phone book.

National dialing/roaming plan for my Cingular/ATT wireless.

For international, I use Skype to Skype (and Festoon) and Skype-out.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I've cut the cord. I could go to digital if I wanted over my cable, but I don't have the need to.

Mr. Peabody
11-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Only had a cell phone for 2 years now and I don't miss my landline. No more telemarketers.
________
DesiredLuke live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/DesiredLuke)

SA210
11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I have both in case the cell phone cuts out or I forget to charge it. However, I only pay like $15 a month for the landline. I just have the basic though. You never know when you might need it is my theory.

Agree :tu

Gatita
11-04-2005, 07:12 PM

The bill could be cheaper if you get what they call a metered line.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Cell phone + Skye = no worries, and no land line.

Vashner
11-04-2005, 08:57 PM
I got rid of my land line about 5 years ago. I have cable modem + cell phone.

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I use a cellphone prepaid, i only make like 3 calls or hardly ever in a month....the credit rollsover to the next month so i dont have to worry about debitin more credit into the simcard.

ZStomp
11-05-2005, 02:50 AM

What say you?

Damn! 50 a month...I only have a cell phone but i recently had both and only paid $16 a month for my home phone..

easjer
11-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, we only use the cell. We're upgrading in December to a new plan, but never use the landline. The only problems it's created for me is not being able to order from Domino's cause of the local issues, but that's not a big deal. We order pizza from the Indian place down the street.

JoePublic
11-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Haven't used a land line in years

KEDA
11-05-2005, 11:50 AM
no land line for me, just the celley!

batman2883
11-05-2005, 11:51 AM
no land line for me either, just a cell phone dont need a landline when your cell gets unlimited texts, and free long distance

Hook Dem
11-05-2005, 12:19 PM
No standard answer applies here. Depends on your situation. If you're never home....you don't need a landline. If you spend a good deal of time at home......no need for a cel phone. Digital phone?.....ever consider what would happen if the power went off? Thats right....no phone service. I spend a good deal of time at home so I have a landline. Keep a cel phone for times when I am not home.

Vashner
11-05-2005, 12:36 PM
You see... the baby bells would NEVER... ever spend a single penny to upgrade those WWII era unshielded / untwisted copper wire technology they use.

The more people that refuse that old copper crap the faster we will all get fiber backbones.

The baby bells even try to take over cable fiber backbones hahaha! without paying!!!
That's how dirty and tightwad they are.

Mr Dio
11-05-2005, 03:27 PM
(2) cell #s in the household for under $85/mo & that includes some stuff we don't need. Free minutes after 7p & unlimited on weekends. Free/unlimited long distance & if anyone I call has Sprint the minutes don't count.

Can't get good service @ a big sporting event like a football game, NIOSA or Oyster Bake. Works @ 95% of Spurs games.

kris
11-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I had only a cell phone but disconnected that too because only my mom called me.

$50 per month is outrageously high.

Faccia di Angelo
11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I just use my cell phone now since I disconnected my home phone but did have both but realized I hardly used it either. It is starting to get expensive with just the cell phone now though. I try to only use it during the weekend when its free lol And when I do talk during the week I try to cut it short. I also have Verizon and am trying to talk others to switch over so its free to talk.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-06-2005, 12:00 AM
the only downside is all the microwaves that will eventually cause you cancer

Faccia di Angelo
11-06-2005, 12:34 AM
the only downside is all the microwaves that will eventually cause you cancer
I've been thinking about that lately. It does kinda worry me. I remember reading somewhere a while back about how Verizon's batteries get really hot and sometimes blow up. I know I have to get off of mine after a while because it feels like its burning up. I get a lot of headaches lately and a strange burning sensation on the side of my head that just comes unexpectedly, should I be worried?

CharlieMac
11-06-2005, 12:22 PM
I haven't had a house phone in 2 or 3 years. there's really no need.

NZHayden
11-06-2005, 04:55 PM
we've got 3 landlines, 1 for the net, 1 for the homephone, and one for me and my sis, we also each have a cell phone, i used to have two each on different networks a to take advantage of free texting on weekends and the other to use for cheaper calling, there both on pre paid accounts

Mark in Austin
11-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Been Sprint PCS only for about 4 years now... and still using a StarTac too. The phone's getting old, but never having to pay long distance or put up with telemarketers never will.

...Just make sure your cell phone gets good reception at home. There are still occasional holes/weak spots in coverage - my folks live in one out in Stone Oak - which will drive you crazy if you call from home a lot.

Drachen
11-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Get a vonage phone. it works over your internet connection and it's so much cheaper.$15 + if you ever wanna use international long distance, it's so much cheaper. www.vonage.com

shit just get skype if you have to call long distance.