PDA

View Full Version : UK's "Herd Immunity" Approach to Dealing with Coronavirus

DMX7
03-14-2020, 06:34 PM
Is this genius or insane? And did Trump know about this before or after he excluded UK from the "travel ban"? (now it's been added to the list)

https://fortune.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-uk-cases-herd-immunity-covid-19/

Spurtacular
03-14-2020, 07:16 PM
How'd that herd immunity work out with the plague or the French flu of 1918?

Trainwreck2100
03-14-2020, 08:12 PM
Is this genius or insane? And did Trump know about this before or after he excluded UK from the "travel ban"? (now it's been added to the list)

https://fortune.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-uk-cases-herd-immunity-covid-19/

That's how evolution works. It is an interesting idea though infection everyone that will survive it but you'd need enough tests that they don't expose the week population to it when they feel fine

DMX7
03-14-2020, 08:22 PM

The science is actually based on the Spanish influenza of 1918 among others.

pgardn
03-14-2020, 08:40 PM

pgardn
03-14-2020, 08:43 PM

Do you understand the the difference in the mortality rates?

The diseases you mentioned above has a devastating % Of people die?

We are actually going to let somewhat the same sort of thing happen in certain areas where infection is too widespread it appears. The timing of what some in the UK envision
seems up to a bit of good luck and of course relies on the population being relatively healthy.

Note: The Spanish flu killed young relatively healthy males and possibly represents a good example of snakeboy’s already mentioned Cytokine storm at play.

Spurtacular
03-14-2020, 08:45 PM
The science is actually based on the Spanish influenza of 1918 among others.

If it was a bacteria I could take it seriously. Viruses are notorious for mutating.

pgardn
03-14-2020, 08:49 PM
If it was a bacteria I could take it seriously. Viruses are notorious for mutating.

Then you don’t take the flu vaccine seriously either.
Some vaccinated will get the flu anyway due to changes in the virus, we give it our best guess(es)

pgardn
03-14-2020, 08:49 PM

TheGreatYacht
03-14-2020, 08:52 PM
I like his approach. Do NOTHING. Get over it. Life will go on.

pgardn
03-14-2020, 08:58 PM
I like his approach. Do NOTHING. Get over it. Life will go on.

Get your hospitals ready Italy... with the do nothing approach.
Their economy and tourism industry do not like the plan... now.

baseline bum
03-14-2020, 09:10 PM
I mean that's the only way the pandemic is likely to end, when enough of us has been infected that transmission is no longer easy. So in that sense nothing crazy about it, just accepting reality there. Just need to not have it happen over enough time to give our medical system a fighting chance at saving as many people who have very adverse reactions.

Spurtacular
03-14-2020, 09:15 PM
Then you don’t take the flu vaccine seriously either.

I don't. I never get vaccinated for flu. In fact, there are plenty of cases in which people get sick from said vaccines.

pgardn
03-14-2020, 09:40 PM
I don't. I never get vaccinated for flu. In fact, there are plenty of cases in which people get sick from said vaccines.

I have never had the flu.
I started getting vaccinated when I learned I could carry it with very mild symptoms which is probably the case.
Got too many people around the house and at work on different occasions.

pgardn
03-14-2020, 09:44 PM
I mean that's the only way the pandemic is likely to end, when enough of us has been infected that transmission is no longer easy. So in that sense nothing crazy about it, just accepting reality there. Just need to not have it happen over enough time to give our medical system a fighting chance at saving as many people who have very adverse reactions.

Yep.

This one is unusually transmissible though. Thats why the spike (causing medical overload) coming at the wrong time is not good. We are at the end of the flu but people come in and need help, we dont need this overlap either.

Spurtacular
03-14-2020, 10:30 PM
I have never had the flu.
I started getting vaccinated when I learned I could carry it with very mild symptoms which is probably the case.
Got too many people around the house and at work on different occasions.

I'm not making a case for or against flu vaccination. It seems it can be a benefit in many cases. I don't see it as a value in my personal case.

pgardn
03-14-2020, 10:49 PM
I'm not making a case for or against flu vaccination. It seems it can be a benefit in many cases. I don't see it as a value in my personal case.

As long as you don’t pass it on to others I see no problem with that.
Also, don’t take up a hospital bed. Your good.

Spurtacular
03-14-2020, 10:57 PM
As long as you don’t pass it on to others I see no problem with that.
Also, don’t take up a hospital bed. Your good.

As long as I don't pass what on to others?

pgardn
03-14-2020, 11:04 PM
As long as I don't pass what on to others?

The flu.
The current topic of discussion.