PDA

View Full Version : Google says it's not publishing a national-scale coronavirus site anytime soon after Trump announcement

baseline bum
03-14-2020, 09:50 PM
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/politics/google-trump-coronavirus-site/index.html
Google says it's not publishing a national-scale coronavirus site anytime soon after Trump announcement
By Brian Fung, CNN

(CNN)Google will not be publishing a national-scale website for coronavirus testing anytime soon, contrary to claims made by President Donald Trump during a Friday news conference.

Instead, a health-focused subsidiary owned by Google's parent company, Alphabet, intends to launch a small-scale website next week to begin to triage California-based patients. The website will aim to serve a broader population only "over time" -- not "very quickly," as Trump said.

"What we're building is a triage tool that will live on ProjectBaseline.com, and we plan to pilot it in California next week," said Carolyn Wang, a spokesperson for the Alphabet subsidiary, Verily.
"Our aspiration is for the triage tool to be used much more broadly over time. Initially, we're linking it with several sites in the Bay Area to test and iterate, and collaborating closely with organizations like Quest Diagnostics and Labcorp who are also working on additional approaches to making testing more accessible and expedient in other areas."

Verily's statement sharply contrasts with Trump's remarks Friday in the White House Rose Garden.

"I want to thank Google," Trump said. "Google is helping to develop a website. It's going to be very quickly done, unlike websites of the past, to determine whether a test is warranted and to facilitate testing at a nearby convenient location." The comment appeared to be a reference to the botched rollout of Healthcare.gov, the website used for the US government's health insurance exchange, which was premiered by President Barack Obama's administration.
Officials in the state of California were stunned Friday to see the White House present their graphic for a modest pilot program that California's been developing with Alphabet as if it were a Trump administration program that was a nationwide initiative and ready to go, a knowledgeable source told CNN's Jake Tapper.

Still, a White House official, in reaction to Google's response, doubled down Saturday, telling CNN that "the Trump administration is working with Google to develop a website Americans can go to determine whether a test is needed and, if so, facilitate testing at a nearby location. We expect to have more details in the days ahead."

In addition to saying Friday that the website would be developed quickly, Trump claimed that 1,700 Google engineers were working on the project. Vice President Mike Pence later added the administration would be able to provide an update on the timing of the website's launch by Sunday night.

During a White House briefing Saturday, Pence attempted to clarify when the Google website announced Friday would be widely available. He said Google is planning to launch the website on Monday, but added that launch will only be available in the San Francisco Bay Area. He said the goal is to expand that site to other areas of the country.
White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator Debbie Birx held up a sign at the Friday news conference that indicated users who showed symptoms would be directed to drive-through clinics. From there, users' test samples would be shipped to labs, and patients would be able to view their results from a "screening website."

It was unclear if Birx was referring to the Verily website. Verily did not immediately respond to questions about Birx's sign, nor to questions about the accuracy of Trump's claim about the number of employees involved or about Pence's claim concerning the timing of the launch.

This story has been updated with additional reporting.

DarrinS
03-14-2020, 10:04 PM
Well, they totally have the ability to do it, considering they mapped the entire earth (multiple times).

spurraider21
03-14-2020, 11:30 PM
Well, they totally have the ability to do it, considering they mapped the entire earth (multiple times).
tbh this comes off as "if we can send a man to the moon, how can we not cure cancer"

ElNono
03-14-2020, 11:59 PM
:lol

DMC
03-15-2020, 12:17 AM
Wild Cobra should be getting a call soon.

DarrinS
03-15-2020, 12:19 AM
tbh this comes off as "if we can send a man to the moon, how can we not cure cancer"

I wonder if Google has the resources to quickly build a website?

A: Yes

ducks
03-15-2020, 12:28 AM
Liberal google
Trying to hurt America over their hatred toward trump

DMC
03-15-2020, 12:34 AM

Don't expect a rational response from Philo. He's crumb snatching and median sniping, in search of approval from some of the elder ST Avengers.

DMC
03-15-2020, 12:36 AM
(CNN)Google now says it is working with the government on the creation of a national website containing information about coronavirus symptoms and testing information.

"Google is partnering with the US Government in developing a national website that includes information about COVID-19 symptoms, risk and testing information," the company said in a series of tweets Saturday evening.

Spurtacular
03-15-2020, 12:48 AM

It comes off as you sperm shielding, tbh.

Thread
03-15-2020, 03:21 AM
Liberal google
Trying to hurt America over their hatred toward trump

Tell it, ducks. Testify!!!

ChumpDumper
03-15-2020, 05:57 AM
Don't expect a rational response from Philo. He's crumb snatching and median sniping, in search of approval from some of the elder ST Avengers.:lol you shut the fuck up when asked simple questions regularly, tough guy.

Monostradamus
03-15-2020, 08:12 AM

You have no idea what the level of complexity and amount of coding is necessary to make a website like that. This isn’t some mid-90’s hacker movie where a guy types furiously for 10 seconds, leans back in his swivel chair, and say “I did it!”

And I have no idea how long it will take either, which is why I’m not making retarded boomer-like statements about it.

hater
03-15-2020, 10:24 AM
:lmao pretty much anyone can build a website. its a fucking website like a questionaire right?

why is this even touted as an accomplishment by Trump and USA? :lmao

China built 2
10,000 bed hospitals in a week :lmao

lol shithole country

Winehole23
03-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Liberal google
Trying to hurt America over their hatred toward trumpTrump shouldn't be spitballing during a public health emergency. His adminstration's disorganization and utter lack of professionalism isn't Google's fault

DMC
03-15-2020, 12:41 PM
You have no idea what the level of complexity and amount of coding is necessary to make a website like that. This isn’t some mid-90’s hacker movie where a guy types furiously for 10 seconds, leans back in his swivel chair, and say “I did it!”

And I have no idea how long it will take either, which is why I’m not making retarded boomer-like statements about it.

Get the people that created the Obamacare website...

wait...nm

DMC
03-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Trump shouldn't be spitballing during a public health emergency. His adminstration's disorganization and utter lack of professionalism isn't Google's fault

Only the press and dems should be doing that against him, right?

I mean, they tried to remove him from office. They celebrated impeachment like it was a gold medal ceremony. What do you expect him to do?

Thread
03-15-2020, 12:43 PM
It's a feel good gimmick anyway.

DMC
03-15-2020, 12:47 PM
It's a feel good gimmick anyway.

This is true.

A large portion of the population doesn't use computers.

koriwhat
03-15-2020, 12:57 PM

it's def not hard for a company like google so stop acting like it's a feat that can't be achieved in a timely manner by the likes of that behemoth.

DMC
03-15-2020, 01:03 PM
it's def not hard for a company like google so stop acting like it's a feat that can't be achieved in a timely manner by the likes of that behemoth.

It's like baking bread though, more chefs don't make it happen faster. Even the best chef in the world cannot make bread bake faster. Websites have to be compiled and tested, even small ones. Put a huge one up that is accessed nationally and perhaps globally and right away it will be vulnerable to just about any DoS attack or have bad links or simply crash due to poor construction. Testing is testing, takes time.

Monostradamus
03-15-2020, 01:11 PM
This isn’t like you making some geocities site dedicated to Aaron Carter. Alot more to it than that. And it has to be perfect from day 1, so as to prevent the aforementioned healthcare.gov disaster.

hater
03-15-2020, 01:46 PM
This isn’t like you making some geocities site dedicated to Aaron Carter. Alot more to it than that. And it has to be perfect from day 1, so as to prevent the aforementioned healthcare.gov disaster.

:lol I worked as a web developer in the past. its not rocket science and anyone with a few years experience can make one, even singlehandely

theres the cloud services that Amazon, MS offer that can make your site scalable to any # users if you have the $

hater
03-15-2020, 01:48 PM
to be fair Im sure Trumps “website” includes the AI/Big Data component yo basically get a reading of all americans that will use it. thats the big piece that is not doable unless you are a big tech firm on AI

but then thats not a “website” as Trump touted :lol

its a whole technology framework to track Murricans and Corona

boutons_deux
03-15-2020, 02:14 PM
spitballing

no euphemisms, he was LYING

Thread
03-15-2020, 02:29 PM
to be fair Im sure Trumps “website” includes the AI/Big Data component yo basically get a reading of all americans that will use it. thats the big piece that is not doable unless you are a big tech firm on AI

but then thats not a “website” as Trump touted :lol

its a whole technology framework to track Murricans and Corona

...thru those pesky (tests).

ducks
03-15-2020, 03:04 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Google_Comms/status/1238989156610707456

Google Twitter says they are working on it

ElNono
03-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Congrats to Google, tbh, they finally got access to every american's health records...

koriwhat
03-15-2020, 05:35 PM

oh no not php, js, and html... give me a break with your belittling bullshit. i could run circles around you building websites. you have no clue.

google isn't the gov't and if they can't do it in a timely manner then no one can. you got to be out of your mind trying to come up with excuses as to why google couldn't do it and fast.

koriwhat
03-15-2020, 05:37 PM
Congrats to Google, tbh, they finally got access to every american's health records...

exactly what they've been doing for yrs tbh. so fucking sad the unlawfulness of our gov't and their affiliation with these shitty authoritarian tech giants.

koriwhat
03-15-2020, 05:39 PM
:lol I worked as a web developer in the past. its not rocket science and anyone with a few years experience can make one, even singlehandely

theres the cloud services that Amazon, MS offer that can make your site scalable to any # users if you have the $

mono's a dipshit lazy obese fuck who tries to pretend he knows everything here on ST. all he knows how to do is stuff his fat fucking face with more food. fuck that loser!

Monostradamus
03-15-2020, 05:42 PM
google isn't the gov't and if they can't do it in a timely manner then no one can.
Uhhhhhhh yeah, that’s exactly my point you fucking retard :lmao

Monostradamus
03-15-2020, 05:43 PM
:lmao at everyone on SpursTalk being a six figure income expert coder with a wet jumper and a nine inch penis :lmao

koriwhat
03-15-2020, 05:49 PM
Uhhhhhhh yeah, that’s exactly my point you fucking retard :lmao

LMAO at what a dumbass you are and how you call me an idiot while basically stating the gov't is more efficient than a multi billion dollar company that controls your fucking life.

the gov't isn't effecient with any money given to them so of course their end result would be a fucking mess. google isn't the gov't but def wants to be.

you're a stupid fat fucking idiot who has a knowitall complex but you literally know nothing. you can claim all you'd like that i'm the dumb one but going through your replies proves otherwise.

:lmao at everyone on SpursTalk being a six figure income expert coder with a wet jumper and a nine inch penis :lmao

thank god we're not all shortround bat soup eating corona virus having obese fat fucking slobs like yourself mono. :tu

Monostradamus
03-15-2020, 05:53 PM
LMAO at what a dumbass you are and how you call me an idiot while basically stating the gov't is more efficient than a multi billion dollar company that controls your fucking life.

the gov't isn't effecient with any money given to them so of course their end result would be a fucking mess. google isn't the gov't but def wants to be.

you're a stupid fat fucking idiot who has a knowitall complex but you literally know nothing. you can claim all you'd like that i'm the dumb one but going through your replies proves otherwise.

thank god we're not all shortround bat soup eating corona virus having obese fat fucking slobs like yourself mono. :tu
:lmao holy shit this guy is in a methed out rage

ElNono
03-15-2020, 07:04 PM

10, tbh, humbly

Winehole23
03-15-2020, 07:10 PM

I mean, they tried to remove him from office. They celebrated impeachment like it was a gold medal ceremony. What do you expect him to do?Lie and bs his way through a public emergency, I guess. To stick it to the libs.

You?

koriwhat
03-15-2020, 07:46 PM
:lmao holy shit this guy is in a methed out rage

The shit you say and claim is that of a total and utter retard with no life experience the. You know it's true too. Stay living on the internet mr my 600lb life.

Spurminator
03-15-2020, 07:55 PM

I mean, they tried to remove him from office. They celebrated impeachment like it was a gold medal ceremony. What do you expect him to do?

You have a pathetically low standard for the office of the President when it suits you. It's like you think this is the first POTUS to face extreme and sometimes hyperbolic scrutiny.

Monostradamus
03-15-2020, 07:57 PM
The shit you say and claim is that of a total and utter retard with no life experience the. You know it's true too. Stay living on the internet mr my 600lb life.
:cry oh man you really hurt my feeling with that one :cry give me some more druggie wisdom, Crackfucius :cry

Will Hunting
03-15-2020, 07:57 PM
Crackfucius
:lmao

koriwhat
03-15-2020, 08:35 PM
:cry oh man you really hurt my feeling with that one :cry give me some more druggie wisdom, Crackfucius :cry

More susceptible... catch it shortround!

DMC
03-16-2020, 08:11 AM
You have a pathetically low standard for the office of the President when it suits you. It's like you think this is the first POTUS to face extreme and sometimes hyperbolic scrutiny.

I'm completely okay with the scrutiny. I'm just pointing out his motive.

DMC
03-16-2020, 08:13 AM
Lie and bs his way through a public emergency, I guess. To stick it to the libs.

You?

That's pretty much what I would expect him to do. I expect him to rail against the left. And that's what he's done pretty much.

It's not like we don't know the quality and quantity of this guy. What's funny is that you guys keep freaking out about it every time he does it.