PDA

View Full Version : The Hard Azz Squad

timvp
07-17-2003, 05:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_darrell_armstrong.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_steve_kerr.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_scottie_pippen.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_robert_horry.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_kevin_willis.jpg

Sign 'em up.

:cooldevil

Whottt
07-17-2003, 06:01 AM
LoL good post..

Where's Reggie though?

We can make an old version of the dream team ourselves.

MannyIsGod
07-17-2003, 06:04 AM
godamnit, now i'm getting excited again.

I know we'll get 3 of those at least.

godamnit, I want it to be november already.

Coolidge
07-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Those 5 would be awesome to have on the bench along with Rose and one of Manu/Jax. I think it would be either Armstrong or Pippen, not both. I would go with Pippen but Armstrong would be great too.

scott
07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Filling out the bench with those guys would be great.

Sure beats the days of having Felton Spencer and Amil McCaskill on our bench.

timvp
07-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Those five plus Rose and Manu would make one of the best benches of all-time.

I think you need Pippen and a backup point because of the Terry Porter factor. The Lakers can kill slow point guards -- as we saw with Porter.

So having a sparkplug like Armstrong would be necessary.

Coolidge
07-17-2003, 04:27 PM
How would the minutes at SF and SG look like?

Starters

SG Jackson 25
SF Bowen 24

Bench

SG Ginobili 23
SF Pippen 24

timvp
07-17-2003, 04:34 PM
I think Pippen would be best used like Kevin Willis was last season. Spot duty up to about 15 minutes a game to keep the young players in check and executing on both ends.

I wouldn't see Pippen as a major piece, but a very good depth addition.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 04:45 PM
If we had these guys on our bench, we'd get run off the court. We want to stay younger, fresher, faster and more athletic than the Lakers, don't we?

Question.

Coolidge
07-17-2003, 04:52 PM
The Spurs' young athletes are in their starting lineup and in their backup PF/C and backup swingman. Beyond that you want role players who can get the job as needed and who have been there before, such as Pippen and Horry. Having experience on the bench pays.

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 04:55 PM
They still do have athletes, and

Armstrong Pippen and Horry can still run and hang with this team.

Dont underestimate those guys....

timvp
07-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Exactly, Coolidge.

Those are the five players behind Duncan, Rasho, Bowen, Jack, Parker, Rose and Manu. With those seven, you aren't going to get run out of any gym.

Think spot players, Ghost.

o0drpill0o
07-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Do you really think Pippen is ready to accept a role like that, timvp? Maybe he is, but he is coming from the Blazers squad where he was pretty much the man (much to his credit). I think he would expect to play around 25 minutes, with a far more significant role than Willis had last year.

Adding Darrell Armstrong would give us a premium back up point guard, but now the backcourt is even more crowded as DA is pretty high on himself and his skills and would expect to play too, even though he's 35 or whatever.

Horry I think would be comfortable with spot duty because from what I have seen he is willing to do what it takes to make a team win, but Pippen and Armstrong I think might be trouble in the locker room if they are not getting the PT they think they deserve. I agree they would help to give this team some serious fire and veteran depth, but I don't think there's room for all of them.

Parker
Manu
Bowen
Jackson
Pippen
Armstrong

Unless you're going to give all those guys around 20 minutes a game, I don't see how it could work. I would think we would be better off with just Pippen OR Armstrong and Robert Horry, along with Kerr and Willis.

I think rather than having a proper PG to back up Tony (who IMO is ready to play major minutes, maybe 40 a game), we should just use the committee approach and split up the chores between Manu, Pippen, and Kerr. Any of those guys can run the offense, which isn't that complicated, for the few minutes Tony is sitting on the bench each game.

If we're concerned about not having a solid backup genuine point in case Parker gets hurt or is struggling, then forget Pippen and go with Armstrong. I personally think Scottie is the better choice though because of his versatility and because I have confidence in TP.

timvp
07-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Pippen is 37 going on 38. He doesn't have the legs to play the minutes that Portland has made him play. I think that he'll look at the Spurs because he can get a ring, tutor the young players and come in and play important minutes.

If that's his mindset, then he'll be a very good addition.

If he wants to come in and play a major role, I don't think the Spurs should go after him.

o0drpill0o
07-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Well, he played about 30 minutes last year and I think he would still want to play 20-25 a game with us. I don't think that's a problem, though, as he could be coming off the bench to back up Tony, Manu, AND Bowen/SJax at times. Maybe we could get him a sixth man award.

I actually wouldn't want him, especially for the money he'll demand, unless he WAS going to play a fairly significant role on the team. I think he is totally capable of doing that, and he still plays solid defense and passes and rebounds the ball well. I just don't think it's a good ide to get Pippen and Armstrong, since both are kind of egomaniacs and neither would be happy with being put out to pasture IMO.

timvp
07-17-2003, 05:14 PM
A good selling point the Spurs have is his good friend Steve Kerr. Kerr and Pippen are almost best friends.

Kerr -- go get Pippen.

:white

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Kerr.

get him like Shaq got Malone.

Damnt DO IT KERR.

Its not like you ever done anything for the Spurs.:p

o0drpill0o
07-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Right on. I had no idea those guys were buds. Adding Pippen would give us a SOLID bench. I think we should go after Pippen AND Horry for sure. So much veteran championship experience, and we would have guys with fire who are out to PROVE something against Phil Jackson and the LA All Stars. Spurs in seven against LA with this lineup:

Parker
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
Rasho
Malik
Jackson
Pippen
Horry
Willis
Kerr

:fro

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Our championship rotation used Speedy Claxton, Manu Ginobili and Malik Rose as the primary backups with spot duty by Kevin Willis and Steve Kerr.

If you want to bring in those other guys to fulfill the Steve Smith, Danny Ferry and Menge Bateer roles, be my guest. Pippen won't settle for that, Armstrong will be re-signed within days and I can't recall what other old @ss you want slowing down our rotation.

Coolidge
07-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Those guys are old but they still have game for a bench role. Kerr demonstrated the value of having experience on the bench in the conference finals and Ferry did in game 2 of the Phoenix series. Having a deep and versatile bench never hurt.

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Robert Horry.

Yes Ghost lets not improve the team with Pippen Horry and Armstrong, cause,

they arnt young.

They all can still hang, they can still ball VERY well.

Horry with spot minutes will return him to old form.

bigzak25
07-17-2003, 05:30 PM
hey, remember those games when nobody except kerr could hit a 3 to save there lives....

that's when you let pippen get some minutes and see what he does, while jax/manu/bowen sit their asses on the bench.

i love our guys, but kerr is the most dependable shooter...we need insurance.

genghisrex
07-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Pippen played some substantial minutes last year, but he was breaking down by the time the playoffs started and he's missed a lot of games each of the past three seasons (18, 20, and 18, respectively). I think Scottie might be willing to take a cut in playing time and go for another ring.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 05:38 PM
I hate homers like T Park Num Nuts who just see a differing POV and assume it's bitching.

I am pointing out that if we retain Kerr and Willis, there will be absolutely no minutes left over for Pippen and Horry. They will essentially become Smitty and Ferry.

Armstrong would be nice to supplant Claxton as he's old, but still fast. I would be shocked if the PG-deficient Orlando let their fan favorite walk away, though.

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 05:40 PM
I hate assholes like Ghost writer who nothing better to do than sit at a computer and insult people with opposing views.

SUck a dick Ghost.

No one gives a **** about how long youve been posting, or your great viewpoints from Whitney> Parker to the Spurs need a credible black coach.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Good comeback, dipsh1t.

Sorry all my logic angers you.

There's not enough minutes for these name-brand veterans, aside from Armstrong who's not coming.

Next.

o0drpill0o
07-17-2003, 05:52 PM
I think there's enough minutes for one of Pippen or Armstrong, Ghost. Pippen could back up the 1, 2, and 3 spots for a total of 20-25 minutes per game. In fact I think there's more room for him than there is for Darrell, who can really only play the one, where we have a young Tony Parker who should be ready to play close to 40 mpg.

o0drpill0o
07-17-2003, 05:53 PM
T Park Num Nuts

:rollin

Sorry, TPark, but that's just funny. :lol

Spurminator
07-17-2003, 06:00 PM
I am pointing out that if we retain Kerr and Willis, there will be absolutely no minutes left over for Pippen and Horry. They will essentially become Smitty and Ferry.

I don't know. Maybe Horry, but I think Pippen would get more minutes than either of those two. Especially considering his versatility.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 06:02 PM
ooodrpill, that's what I am saying. If you want Pippen, he's shaving about 4 MPG off of Bowen, Manu, Jackson and Parker's nights.

Armstrong would be the best candidate, but I doubt Orlando lets him go.

o0drpill0o
07-17-2003, 06:07 PM
If you want Pippen, he's shaving about 4 MPG off of Bowen, Manu, Jackson and Parker's nights.

Why is that a bad thing though? It's a long season; we need to keep our horses rested for the real show. I am also not convinced that giving Manu, Parker and Jackson heavy minutes every game, without someone talented and experienced to spell them, would be the best thing for this team. They're all young and have all shown a tendency to show their age at times. Pippen would be the perfect stabilizer IMO. No matter which those three is pissing Pop off, there is a player to put on the floor in their place who can play solid defense and score as needed or just run the offense.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 06:09 PM
I want Manu and Jackson to progress, not regress. It's bad enough they have to split time with Bowen.

Cassius Clay
07-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Ghost talks a good game
But his takes are lame
He's the next dog I'm gonna tame

http://www.courier-journal.com/ali/gallery/aliwatch2.gif

bigzak25
07-17-2003, 06:20 PM
i want manu and jax to progress too man,
but they can progress their butts to the bench when they can't hit an outside shot. and stop raggin on bruce man, he led the league in 3's, he's our shut down guy, and he hit some good shots in the playoffs too....

again, scottie pippen is insurance....he can flat out shoot the ball when everyone else is cold...he gets spot minutes in the regular season and helps guide the others along....i think he'd find san antonio a breath of fresh air after being in portland so long....

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Sorry, zak. Scottie Pippen is not going to come here to be bench insurance for us.

o0drpill0o
07-17-2003, 06:22 PM
I want Manu and Jackson to progress, not regress.

I want that too, GW, but mostly I just want to beat the Lakers and win another ring.

bigzak25
07-17-2003, 06:32 PM
I remember Willis saying how upfront Pop was with him about his role and playing time.

Pop will be upfront with him, and if Pippen is interested, he'll come aboard. I too think he chases the money, but I can't help but speculate on what his ideal role for the Spurs would be should he sign on.

what are his choices...a role player in dallas...a leader in chicago....he might fit in memphis,

if he wants a legitimate shot at a ring...he should come to sa.

SequSpur
07-17-2003, 06:36 PM
T Park Num Nuts

I thought it was TPark Short Bus?

Ali
You and me..
Clay
Not Today
You be shaking
And looking like Pig's Bacon
No more Robinson...
But you continue to Parkinson...

:moon

Cassius Clay
07-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Sequ you troll
Know your role

http://www.courier-journal.com/ali/gallery/aliwatch2.gif

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 07:04 PM
you talking or calling anyone else something about being SHORT is laughable.

Cassius Clay
07-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Experience on the bench is key for any championship team. You do need guys who can go without taking their warmups off for weeks and who are then called on to make a play in the clutch. I think the Spurs should be able to wisely use some of their cap space to improve bench depth. To get all of Armstrong/Pippen/Horry the Spurs would probably have to devote their remaining $12 million in cap space to them in multi-year deals. My guess is that the Spurs would choose one of Armstrong and Pippen and then Horry. Maybe they could get Travis Best on the cheap. I haven't seen Best play in a while. His #s weren't that great with the Heat last year but he might do well in the Spurs system, especially if his minutes are kept down. He's 31 years old so if he panned out the Spurs would have themselves a backup point guard for the next 3 or 4 seasons potentially.

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 10:38 AM
You guys are talking about expensive backups to supplant Ferry, Kerr, and Willis on the long bench.

Cassius Clay
07-19-2003, 09:25 AM
And the Hard Azz Squad moves closer to reality...