PDA

View Full Version : Okay Is There Anything Wrong?

xrayzebra
11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
'I have a problem with the term African American...The word negro is a perfectly good word. There is nothing wrong with that'

Andy Rooney on Imus 11/4/05, MSNBC, 8:45am ET

Is There?

Spurminator
11-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Call them whatever they want to be called, and don't use terms that offend them. I don't think it's too much trouble, regardless of rationale.

Shelly
11-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Personally, I think the whole ****-American has gotten out of hand. You're born here so you're American.

Or I should go around insisting that people call me an Italian-German-English-American.

BronxCowboy
11-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, "Negro" has kind of a bad history and is generally considered offensive, but "African-American" has its drawbacks too.

Yonivore
11-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Call them whatever they want to be called, and don't use terms that offend them. I don't think it's too much trouble, regardless of rationale.
Fine, just don't blame me when I don't get the memo. Like when they went from Negro to Colored to Black to African-American (which is, by the way, a misnomer for damn near all of them).

And, what about the white African-Americans?

Spurminator
11-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Who cares?

Apologize, call them something else and move on. It's really a non issue, I don't understand why white people get so worked up about it.

Gatita
11-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Growing up some years in Houston and being 1 of 20 "Mexican-Americans" in our school, our classmates didn't care for the word African American. They prefered the term "black".

Yonivore
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Who cares?

Apologize, call them something else and move on. It's really a non issue, I don't understand why white people get so worked up about it.
Well, it's because of the fact that if they innocently forget or have not been informed of the name du jour by which "people of color" (<< another one) wish to be called, they are villified and raked over the racial coals.

Why do blacks get so worked up over being called black? Or colored; or negro...I believe that term was good enough for Martin Luther King, Jr. He referred to his race as negro.

Then, combine this with the MTV and BET instances of blacks calling each other Nigga and ###### and, you've got to wonder, just what the fuck is their problem?

Nbadan
11-05-2005, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't call a bro I didn't know really personally negro. It would be like walking up to a white guy and going, 'Hey Honky', or to a hispanic and going, 'Hey Mexican'. Why even go there? Just don't call him anything.

gtownspur
11-05-2005, 02:06 AM
^^I agree. Dont even recognize their race. In that case we shouldnt feel personally responsible or sorry for them for what happened since it wasnt any of our fault. and since we're not going to recognize their race, we're not going to recognize all the pity and empathy that comes with that label
. Let's not celebrate Black history month since they feel themselves that they have to be so inclusive when it comes to vocabulary. Why should we try to empathize with them if we're just gonna be kept out of the loop. In my dealings with black people, i don't give a rats ass. They do not intimidate me, they do not make me feel sorry for them. If we're gonna feel sorry for them and have this heightened sense of sensibility, we are doing no good to them. All my freinds who were black, i treated as if they were any other. I never called them bro, brotha, dog or whatever. To me pigmentation does not carry history or prejeduice.

Nbadan
11-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Dont even recognize their race. In that case we shouldnt feel personally responsible or sorry for them for what happened since it wasnt any of our fault. and since we're not going to recognize their race, we're not going to recognize all the pity and empathy that comes with that label

Try not to sound TOO condecending there gtown. There are pluses and minuses to every culture. Minorities don't want pity, they want opportunity.

gtownspur
11-05-2005, 02:45 AM
^well, dang gunnit! They want to have their pie and eat it too. It just seems as if they in general want the pity, yet dont. I commend them for stopping the whole reperations issue though. at least that's one plus. But it's the Kanye's and Sharptons that portray blacks horribly. Not to mention their criticism of COsby for calling a spade a spade.

jochhejaam
11-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Why do blacks get so worked up over being called black?

The majority of guys I work with are African Americans (AA's) and some are sensitive about the label Black but only when other races are using it. When they're trying to get information from me about the race of a tenant they'll ask "was he Black"?, and that's probably been a couple of hundred times. I've never had one of my AA friends ask "was he African American"?. :)

That makes it a little confusing, at times I'm trying to figure out while simlutaneously answering if I should say African American or Black (I have a good rapport with them which makes it much less likely that they'll take offense if I use the label Black).

Whether it be an identity crisis or insecurity or a feeling of empowerment by having a label they can call those on that don't use it I don't have a problem with it. My name's Christian, and I get called Chris, Christopher and Christian, doesn't matter but I'm sure if I had a preference my co-workers would oblige.

Yonivore
11-05-2005, 08:44 AM
The majority of guys I work with are African Americans (AA's) and some are sensitive about the label Black but only when other races are using it. When they're trying to get information from me about the race of a tenant they'll ask "was he Black"?, and that's probably been a couple of hundred times. I've never had one of my AA friends ask "was he African American"?. :)

That makes it a little confusing, at times I'm trying to figure out while simlutaneously answering if I should say African American or Black (I have a good rapport with them which makes it much less likely that they'll take offense if I use the label Black).

Whether it be an identity crisis or insecurity or a feeling of empowerment by having a label they can call those on that don't use it I don't have a problem with it. My name's Christian, and I get called Chris, Christopher and Christian, doesn't matter but I'm sure if I had a preference my co-workers would oblige.
And, I keep wondering when they're going to change the name of "Black History Month" or the "United Negro College Fund" or the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People."

I mean, damn, are non-(insert euphemism for whatever they are here) people supposed to automatically change those to "(insert euphemism of the day) History Month" or the "United (insert euphemism of the day) College Fund" or the "National Association for the Advancement of (insert euphemism of the day) People?"

What are the rules? I'll tell you what I believe they want the rules to be. They want non-(euphemism of the day) people to devine their individual preference when we pass them on the street. If that one wants "black," you'd better call them "black"...if the next wants "colored," you'd better oblige.

Otherwise, you're labeled a racist (insert euphemism of the day non-euphemism of the day euphemism for non-euphemism of the day people).

JoeChalupa
11-05-2005, 08:47 AM
My wife prefers the term "African-American" and we've had some real good discussions about racial issues. I am "Mexican-American" and have no problem with other ethnicities referring to themselves as "German, Italian, Greek, French, European, Slovenian, Peruvian-American" is they so desire.

New Braunfels is having their "German Fest"..and I love brats and sauerkraut but don't care too much for the polkas.

Yes, we are all Americans but having pride in one's heritage is a non-issue to me.

jochhejaam
11-05-2005, 08:50 AM
And, I keep wondering when they're going to change the name of "Black History Month" or the "United Negro College Fund" or the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People."

Good point, I agree it's confusing...to them too.

jochhejaam
11-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Yes, we are all Americans but having pride in one's heritage is a non-issue to me.
Yep, I major it Irish with some Native American thrown in and it's not something I ever think about...I don't even like Notre Dame's football team (Ohio State Buckeyes...all rise :) )

JoeChalupa
11-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Good point, I agree it's confusing...to them too.

Not to the African-American, colored, black people I know.

jochhejaam
11-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Not to the African-American, colored, black people I know.

I've never actually asked any of my Black friends if they're confused by the many labels and it wasn't meant to be a slur, I was just agreeing with Yoni that it's a guessing game when trying to figure out which label to use when the sutuation dictates that one be used.
Ask 50 different AA's which label they prefer and you'd probably get at least the three different answers. Some would probably give more than one answer so I don't think using the word confused is that far off base.

SpursWoman
11-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Who cares?

That's English-Irish-German-Dutch-Native American Indian-Spanish American to you, motherfucker.

:lmao

Yonivore
11-05-2005, 09:04 AM
I've never actually asked any of my Black friends if they're confused by the many labels and it wasn't meant to be a slur, I was just agreeing with Yoni that it's a guessing game when trying to figure out which label to use when the sutuation dictates that one be used.
Ask 50 different AA's which label they prefer and you'd probably get at least the three different answers. Some would probably give more than one answer so I don't think using the word confused is that far off base.
And, further, it wouldn't be an issue -- with anyone -- if they wouldn't act so damned offended when someone doesn't happen to use the euphemism they particularly want to hear at any given time of the day.

SpursWoman
11-05-2005, 09:06 AM
And, further, it wouldn't be an issue -- with anyone -- if they wouldn't act so damned offended when someone doesn't happen to use the euphemism they particularly want to hear at any given time of the day.

True...no one seems to care that I take great pride in my 1/8th Native American heritage.

:fro

JoeChalupa
11-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Did it ever occur to you that you may simply not understand because you are not "they"?

Yonivore
11-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Did it ever occur to you that you may simply not understand because you are not "they"?
So, if I don't understand, what am I supposed to do?

jochhejaam
11-05-2005, 09:17 AM
True...no one seems to care that I take great pride in my 1/8th Native American heritage.

:fro
My percentage of Native American is also 1/8...we must be from warring tribes, Cherokee here. :lol

RandomGuy
11-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Personally, I think the whole ****-American has gotten out of hand. You're born here so you're American.

Or I should go around insisting that people call me an Italian-German-English-American.

I agree.

SpursWoman
11-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Osage... :lol

I love looking at pictures of my great-grandmother. She was complete with long braids and all...

Shelly
11-05-2005, 09:54 AM

I love looking at pictures of my great-grandmother. She was complete with long braids and all...

I love looking at old pictures. My mom has a ton from her family. No one ever smiled and the photographer would 'enhance' their eyes, so they all look like they have these beady little eyes.

Cracks me up everytime I see them.

Carry on...

Yonivore
11-05-2005, 10:14 AM

I love looking at old pictures. My mom has a ton from her family. No one ever smiled and the photographer would 'enhance' their eyes, so they all look like they have these beady little eyes.

Cracks me up everytime I see them.

Perfect examples of how women innocently drift off topic. I can be having a serious discussion with my wife, over bills or the children, and halfway through she'll ::gasp:: and say, "look at that butterfly!" :lol

JoePublic
11-05-2005, 11:24 AM
It always cracks me up when everyone wants to claim they are part Native-American.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Why don't you ask your African-American friends why they are so sensitive?

Yonivore
11-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Why don't you ask your African-American friends why they are so sensitive?
Well, my black friends aren't sensitive. I'm talking about the people I encounter, in passing, that I see on television news reports, that file complaints over the use of the word "niggardly," that call each other ###### and non-blacks all sorts of derogatory names but demand they be called by a particular, very specific name...that changes on a whim or due to some perceived slight.

I wouldn't have a black friend that was that easily offended or that suscribed to the whole culture of victimhood that seems to drive these silly things.

But, when and why did Negro fall out of favor? Yes, ###### was a play off that word but, ###### and negro co-existed and were easily discerned by Black leaders of the day -- particularly after Rosa Parks refused to cede her seat on the bus.

Then, when and why did Colored fall out of favor? And, what happened to black?

Then, explain to me why black Americans feel they can hijack an adjective that might well describe as many white people as black? After all, there are many African immigrants that are white.

In fact, most self-proclaimed African-Americans come from places other than Africa.

Finally, why the fuck do they care?