mah homie keep sayin parker aint top 10 but i think he is

what u guys think

if u think hes not top 10 name 10 better

ducks
11-04-2005, 07:41 PM
type tony and you will find this topic discussed during the offseason

Shaolin-Style
11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
i'd put him around 9, and I'd put him way higher if he has improved his shooting and his penetration even further. I won't put him over nash for a long time though.

SA210
11-04-2005, 07:47 PM
I think so.

Dalamar_the_Dark
11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
This thread shouldnt even be started. Absolutely redundant. Of course he is.

Boo
11-04-2005, 09:32 PM
type tony and you will find this topic discussed during the offseason

theres a search?

where

2centsworth
11-04-2005, 09:41 PM
watch, he's top 5 and climbing.

strangeweather
11-04-2005, 09:50 PM
watch, he's top 5 and climbing.

If he can keep playing like he has in these first two couple games, you're absolutely right. At the end of last year, I would have said borderline top-10, and that he needed a better J and better court vision and decision making to rise from there.

Of course, at his age, he should keep improving for at least the next couple of years before he reaches his peak -- and point guards often make a big leap even after that.

Solid D
11-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Tonight he's number 1 !!!

Solid D
11-04-2005, 09:57 PM

JoePublic
11-04-2005, 10:06 PM
damn right he is.

Brutalis
11-04-2005, 10:07 PM
He is a 7-10 PG right now. And will be 3-5 PG once he fixes his jumper.

Brutalis
11-04-2005, 10:07 PM
...and how many people have you heard of really do it. ...sigh...

Rummpd
11-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Darn right.

Brutalis
11-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Maybe he should try what Bird did when he was young. Shoot and play in the dark to feel the court better. But that's touching some sort of Martial Art mind over matter thing I bet. Or I'm just 2 shots into Friday night.

1Parker1
11-04-2005, 10:22 PM
He has the more championship rings than any other starting PG currently in the league.....so he clearly must be doing something right.

Brutalis
11-04-2005, 10:28 PM
He has the more championship rings than any other starting PG currently in the league.....so he clearly must be doing something right.

Nobody is talking about team or historical success. Talking about the individual most talented PG.

And yes, TP is doing quite well for himself.

Brodels
11-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I think it's reasonable to believe he's around ten or so. He's at least in the top half and possibly at the bottom of the top third. Consistency is still a huge issue with him. And he doesn't always look comfortable running the offense. But he's still getting better, and if he can keep improving gradually, he'll undoubtedly be in the top ten.

Brutalis
11-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I think it's reasonable to believe he's around ten or so. He's at least in the top half and possibly at the bottom of the top third. Consistency is still a huge issue with him. And he doesn't always look comfortable running the offense. But he's still getting better, and if he can keep improving gradually, he'll undoubtedly be in the top ten.

Also most people don't take into account that he has been a Pro in Europe too, and is freaking young. He started even younger, and shows more and more flashes of something awesome to come. How many kids can you name came to a winning NBA team, ran the PG, won 2 rings and would be graduating college at the same time in America.

1Parker1
11-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Nobody is talking about team or historical success. Talking about the individual most talented PG.

My point was intended for those who DON'T think he's a top 10 PG. He's 23 and is the starting PG for a TOP 5 team in the NBA and he has 2 championship rings in which he played a significant role in getting. So for those who still don't want to give him credit where credit is due, I was just pointing out that those facts alone should warrant putting him in the Top 10.

Brutalis
11-04-2005, 10:42 PM
My point was intended for those who DON'T think he's a top 10 PG. He's 23 and is the starting PG for a TOP 5 team in the NBA and he has 2 championship rings in which he played a significant role in getting. So for those who still don't want to give him credit where credit is due, I was just pointing out that those facts alone should warrant putting him in the Top 10.
True dat... trueeeeeee dat...

Brutalis
11-04-2005, 10:44 PM
ten point guards that is clearly better than parker.
nash, iverson, marbury, kidd, arena, bibby, baron davis, stevie francis, billups, sam cassell(much better shooter and passer)
Puke.

Leetonidas
11-04-2005, 10:48 PM
nash, iverson, marbury, kidd, arena, bibby, baron davis, stevie francis, billups, sam cassell(much better shooter and passer)

Take Marbury, Bibby, Cassell, and Francis off that list.

angel_luv
11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Tony is grrrrrrrrrrreat! hahaha

2centsworth
11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
you're clueless. Point guard is a lot more than just offense. Marbury plays absolutely no defense and will be shipped out of NY very soon. Ball Hog Areanas never gets others involved. Stevie Francis give me a break. Cassell can't stop me. Iverson is not a PT guard, he's a 2 playing PT because they have no one else.

Only PT guards who would be better on the spurs would be Kidd, Davis, and maybe Billups.

CaptainLate
11-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Tonight he's number 1 !!!

No...not as long as he's a shoot first PG. However, I'm willing to readdress this issue after the playoffs, where TP has yet to show he can hold his own.

woodseed
11-04-2005, 10:52 PM
^ I agree, but bibby may be as effective as parker though. so, tp is definitely a top 10.

strangeweather
11-04-2005, 11:03 PM
No...not as long as he's a shoot first PG. However, I'm willing to readdress this issue after the playoffs, where TP has yet to show he can hold his own.

He had 8 assists to 1 turnover tonight. I'll take that any day.

2centsworth
11-04-2005, 11:06 PM
TP flat out dominates some playoff games. He wins them singlehandedly. He just hasn't been as consistent as we would like, but the 3 or 4 games he wins for us are crucial in getting us to the finish line. He's still only 23.

hussker
11-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Yep...top 10...Not of all time, but of nowadays. As TP goes, so go the Spurs. Thats the way it is.

The Artest Factor
11-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Tony Parker.....
Is a poor shooter
Is a poor distributor
Is a poor rebounder
is a poor defender

NO - Tony Parker is not a top-10 point guard.

Here are 15 point guards clearly better than Tony Parker...
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Baron Davis
Stephon Marbury
Gilbert Arenas
Steve Francis
Jamaal Tinsley
Chauncey Billups
Joe Johnson
Kirk Hinrich
TJ Ford
Sam Cassell
Allen Iverson
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

Here are 12 point guards arguably better, or as good, as Tony Parker....
Raymond Felton
Jason Terry
Rafer Alston
Jason Williams
Marko Jaric
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Brevin Knight
Antonio Daniels
Bobby Jackson
Damon Stoudemire

list of point guards I'd say Tony Parker is better than....
Marcus Banks
Delonte West
Jason Hart
Chris Duhon
Damon Jones
Devin Harris
Earl Watson
Speedy Claxton
Mike James
Maurice Williams
Anthony Johnson
Beno Udrih
Shaun Livingston
Zoran Planicic
Nate Robinson
Luke Ridnour
Sebastion Telfair
Jarret Jack
Jameer Nelson
Nick Van Exel
Smush Parker
Eric Snow
Gary Payton
Keyon Dooling
Jose Calderon
Eddie Gill
Rick Brunson
Carlos Arroyo
Kevin Ollie
Erick Strickland
Keith McLeod

ChumpDumper
11-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Jamaal Tinsley :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

cqsallie
11-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Take Marbury, Bibby, Cassell, and Francis off that list.

You're damned right! Francis?
What's wrong with fans of basketball unwilling to admit that new, young players like Parker can evolve? These guys are so willing to make LeBron James and Carmello Anthony the be-all and end-all of prowess. Well, these players have done rather well, but have failed to bring home the ring. Do you suppose this is because their incredible talent landed them on a team filled with failures?
Gee! I'm the greatest highschool/college player on the face of the earrth and I'm the first draft choice of the worst team in the NBA. These former highschool or college stars are tasked with carrying a team.
What's wrong with this scenario? :spin Sallie

cqsallie
11-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Tony Parker.....
Is a poor shooter
Is a poor distributor
Is a poor rebounder
is a poor defender

Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Baron Davis
Stephon Marbury
Gilbert Arenas
Steve Francis
Jamaal Tinsley
Chauncey Billups
Joe Johnson
Kirk Hinrich
TJ Ford
Sam Cassell
Allen Iverson
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

Raymond Felton
Jason Terry
Rafer Alston
Jason Williams
Marko Jaric
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Brevin Knight
Antonio Daniels
Bobby Jackson
Damon Stoudemire

Marcus Banks
Delonte West
Jason Hart
Chris Duhon
Damon Jones
Devin Harris
Earl Watson
Speedy Claxton
Mike James
Maurice Williams
Anthony Johnson
Beno Udrih
Shaun Livingston
Zoran Planicic
Nate Robinson
Luke Ridnour
Sebastion Telfair
Jarret Jack
Jameer Nelson
Nick Van Exel
Smush Parker
Eric Snow
Gary Payton
Keyon Dooling
Jose Calderon
Eddie Gill
Rick Brunson
Carlos Arroyo
Kevin Ollie
Erick Strickland
Keith McLeod

Wonderful! Now, which of these wonderful PGs brought home the ring in the last 6 years? Isn't that the acid test? You can be a great PG on a lousy team and nobody will remember your name. :owned by the Spurs!

nkdlunch
11-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Tony Parker.....
Is a poor shooter
Is a poor distributor
Is a poor rebounder
is a poor defender

Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Baron Davis
Stephon Marbury
Gilbert Arenas
Steve Francis
Jamaal Tinsley
Chauncey Billups
Joe Johnson
Kirk Hinrich
TJ Ford
Sam Cassell
Allen Iverson
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

Raymond Felton
Jason Terry
Rafer Alston
Jason Williams
Marko Jaric
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Brevin Knight
Antonio Daniels
Bobby Jackson
Damon Stoudemire

Marcus Banks
Delonte West
Jason Hart
Chris Duhon
Damon Jones
Devin Harris
Earl Watson
Speedy Claxton
Mike James
Maurice Williams
Anthony Johnson
Beno Udrih
Shaun Livingston
Zoran Planicic
Nate Robinson
Luke Ridnour
Sebastion Telfair
Jarret Jack
Jameer Nelson
Nick Van Exel
Smush Parker
Eric Snow
Gary Payton
Keyon Dooling
Jose Calderon
Eddie Gill
Rick Brunson
Carlos Arroyo
Kevin Ollie
Erick Strickland
Keith McLeod

mhuahahahahaha :lmao

this guy is ridiculous. Hey dude if you know so much about basketball. Why are you already down to $25 vbookie??? :lol

sprrs
11-05-2005, 12:57 AM
cassell, francis, bibby, and marbury has proven that he can carry the team by themselves cant say the same thing for parker.

ok. name when did parker trully run the team. it has always been tduncan running the play. the point guards that i named have proven that they can carry the load common marbury averages 8 or up more assist.

Wow. You just contradicted yourself. So you expect Tony to carry the team and have TIM FREAKIN' DUNCAN just sitting on the sideline watching? If Marbury, Cassell, Bibby, or Francis were on the Spurs playing behind Timmy they wouldn't get the chance to carry the team either.

Dalamar_the_Dark
11-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Tony Parker.....
Is a poor shooter
Is a poor distributor
Is a poor rebounder
is a poor defender

Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Baron Davis
Stephon Marbury
Gilbert Arenas
Steve Francis
Jamaal Tinsley
Chauncey Billups
Joe Johnson
Kirk Hinrich
TJ Ford
Sam Cassell
Allen Iverson
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

Raymond Felton
Jason Terry
Rafer Alston
Jason Williams
Marko Jaric
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Sarunas Jasikevicius
Brevin Knight
Antonio Daniels
Bobby Jackson
Damon Stoudemire

On your freaking ridiculous list, besides Billups, which PG has led his team to an NBA title? On your whole list, which PG has led his team to 2 NBA titles?

Your list of PGs who are as good as Parker is plain stupid. bunch of rookies and injured or problematic vets. I would not take any of them over Parker. Mayber Deron Williams if he develops like I think he would be not as of this point in time.

Your 15 PGs clearly better than Parker is ridiculous. In addition to what I mentioned above regarding titles, players like Marbury, Cassell I would never take cause of their attitude issues. Some of them on that list are overrated like Johnson, Francis, Miller, Tinsley, Davis. Kidd is getting old and banged up.

So go buy a brain or something cause I wont consider taking many PGs ahead of Parker. Players I would consider taking are Arenas and Ford. Thats all. And thats only consider taking them.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2005, 01:44 AM
parker got schooled in the final.Damn, here we go again.

How many points did Parker give up in game 7?

2centsworth
11-05-2005, 02:09 AM
no but when opportunity present itself he always choke. remember the lakers series and the piston series parker was stopped with the exception of first two games against the lakers by an old payton and much slower billups. parker is quick i'll give u that but he doesnt have fundamental. for god sake, he cant even shoot.
You say Tony was stopped with the exception of the first two games against the Lakers. You're right, but the other side to that is he won the first two games by himself. Their are less than a handful of Pt. Guards who could have done the same. Now does Tony need to work on his consistency? Yes, but in the past three years he has won games by himself which more often than not have catapulted the spurs to championships, 2 out of 3 years.

Tony has the special ability to take his game to a level that others players can't reach.

strangeweather
11-05-2005, 02:18 AM
cassell, francis, bibby, and marbury has proven that he can carry the team by themselves cant say the same thing for parker.

Ricky Davis can "carry" a team, as long as you don't care about actually winning games. I can't see that being the best player on a bad team is anything to brag about. Francis and Marbury have "carried" teams onto the scrap heap -- teams that got markedly better soon after they were traded. And each of their current teams may well be looking to dump them yet again before this season's over.

Both Cassell and Bibby have run teams, but I think it would be a stretch to say either has ever carried one. Personally, I think Bibby probably is a little ahead of Parker at this point, but Cassell isn't enough of a defender to give him a clear edge.

duncan2k5
11-05-2005, 03:19 AM
i dont care if tony can't shoot unless it makes him have a bad game. i dont care if he scores all his points off layups...just as long as he scores. having a jumper is overrated if you can score efficiently in other ways. he had a better fg% than francis and marbury and guys like that with a better jumper. he doesn't hurt the team concept the way those guys do. he is a top 10 point guard by the way. i bet of you ask larry brown if he would rather tony over steph he would take tony in a heartbeat

Horry For 3!
11-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Baron Davis is ALWAYS hurt but he is pretty good when hes actually not hurt. Arena? Arenas, he is alright nothing special. Cassell is too old but he was pretty good when he was younger.

Frenchise player
11-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Tony is the best the Spurs could have.
The really better PG are 5 to 10 years older like Kidd, Billups and Nash or always injured like Davis.
All the others who are considered "ahead" of Parker are a bunch of scoring point guards who never have been in a contender team (Marbury, Francis and Arenas) and some talented players but nothing more than that (Hinrich, Bibby, Miller...) .

He has some glaring holes in his game but what makes him special is his capacity to penetrate whoever is his oponent. That's a rare quality who mekes him an instant top 10 point guard.

SpursIndonesia
11-05-2005, 01:50 PM

Arenas, Iverson, Francis are SGs.............B Davis is hurting and not as good as he was once...........Bibby's D SUCKS bad, he might shoot a bit better %wise from downtown, and the vision's slightly better, but outside that ?..........Cassel is OLD and breaking.............the only PG's i'd ranked clearly above him right now are Nash & Kidd, Marbury & Billups are iffy -better in some aspects, worse in others- Tony's definitely a TOP 10 PG, perhaps a top 5 indeed

Obstructed_View
11-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Here's the real litmus test: Which point guards would you trade Tony Parker for, straight up?

I don't see anyone on any of these lists that I'd like to see the Spurs trade him for.