PDA

View Full Version : Trump Moves Left Of Democrats

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 07:37 PM
Chumpettes can stop hating him now, amirite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-lsvEvnI4k

Winehole23
03-18-2020, 07:46 PM
Strongly disagree.

So far the Benjamin Dixon take that realignment means Republicans go full fascist and Dems go full Republican seems the most accurate to me.

Winehole23
03-18-2020, 07:47 PM
Think Huey Long, enacted as a "businessmen's plot."

daslicer
03-18-2020, 07:58 PM
These are temporary moves he's making to save his ass. I would be willing to say he's left of the Democrats if he got rid of his awful tax cuts and actually raised taxes on the rich. That to me is the litmus test on how progressive you are.

DarrinS
03-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Trumps presidency is probably fucked, tbh

DarrinS
03-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Trumps presidency is probably fucked, tbh

And I really don't care, tbh

hater
03-18-2020, 08:06 PM
being left of democrats means Trump would be a centrist :lmao :lmao

democrats are basically equal to GWB or Dubyas republicans :lmao

Winehole23
03-18-2020, 08:08 PM
Trumps presidency is probably fucked, tbhFace it, it's not.

GOP is now the free shit party.

Reck
03-18-2020, 08:10 PM
This is the most moronic argument I've seen all day. Capt. Delusional brought this up in the other thread because he saw this being talked to on rose twitter (DING aarony)

Winehole23
03-18-2020, 08:13 PM
Not sure I saw the rose twitter take today, can you supply?

Monostradamus
03-18-2020, 08:15 PM
And I really don't care, tbh
https://www.memesmonkey.com/images/memesmonkey/b1/b183f989bc887382bd541f8366a709b5.jpeg

ChumpDumper
Not sure I saw the rose twitter take today, can you supply?I think Bernie won a county last night.

daslicer
being left of democrats means Trump would be a centrist :lmao :lmao

Pretty much this. They haven't done anything economically on the left since Clinton raised taxes during the 90's.

Reck
03-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Not sure I saw the rose twitter take today, can you supply?

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283220&page=143&p=10096824&viewfull=1#post10096824

You can start from that post on down.

Winehole23
03-18-2020, 08:21 PM
I think Bernie won a county last night.I think BS hoping Biden will be overtaken by physical exhaustion and stress. Sanders has no other path I can see, does someone else see it?

ChumpDumper
03-18-2020, 08:27 PM
I think BS hoping Biden will be overtaken by physical exhaustion and stress. Sanders has no other path I can see, does someone else see it?Nope. And Joe can just sit back and do virtual rallies or whatever and let Trump write his campaign commercials for him.

DarrinS
03-18-2020, 08:33 PM
Not really caring about politics right now. More worried about family, friends, and getting back to "normal".

This "lockdown" comes at a MASSIVE cost. I think it was a hail mary on the side of extreme caution.

I hope it ends up being worth it.

I still see very young people out being selfish retards.

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 08:34 PM
Not really caring about politics right now. More worried about family, friends, and getting back to "normal".

This "lockdown" comes at a MASSIVE cost. I think it was a hail mary on the side of extreme caution.

How are they supposedly being selfish?

ChumpDumper
03-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Not really caring about politics right now. More worried about family, friends, and getting back to "normal".:tu

Frankly I'm surprised people are keeping up most of their grudges so hard.

Reck
03-18-2020, 08:42 PM
How are they supposedly being selfish?

How about for one, respect principle guidence of self distancing? Granted is not all on them for being complete morons.

The state of Florida for instance is allowing spring breakers going there. They're not closing beaches until Monday just cuz they want a few extra bucks from the degenerates.

ChumpDumper
03-18-2020, 08:47 PM
How about for one, respect principle guidence of self distancing? Granted is not all on them for being complete morons.

The state of Florida for instance is allowing spring breakers going there. They're not closing beaches until Monday just cuz they want a few extra bucks from the degenerates.1240195581110358016*

*Not pitcured: voting for Bernie

spurraider21
03-18-2020, 08:49 PM
Frankly I'm surprised people are keeping up most of their grudges so hard.

:lol

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 08:51 PM

The state of Florida for instance is allowing spring breakers going there. They're not closing beaches until Monday just cuz they want a few extra bucks from the degenerates.

So they're going to beaches. Nobody is forcing you to the beach right?

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2020, 08:57 PM
Not the AOCs, Bernies, Talib and Omar's of the Democratic party.

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2020, 08:58 PM
1240195581110358016*

Crushing pussy, marry a man.

SPRING.

BREAK.

Will Hunting
03-18-2020, 09:05 PM
So they're going to beaches. Nobody is forcing you to the beach right?
Old people are just butthurt that young people aren’t shutting their lives down to help old people despite the fact that old people in this country have bent over backwards to fuck young people every chance they get.

Reck
03-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Old people are just butthurt that young people aren’t shutting their lives down to help old people despite the fact that old people in this country have bent over backwards to fuck young people every chance they get.

That's not it.

Old people dont give a shit. They already had theirs.

Millennials and the gen z are the ones that are supposed to take over. It seems like half the millennials are responsible and the other half are just leeching trash.

Will Hunting
03-18-2020, 09:20 PM
It seems like half the millennials are responsible and the other half are just leeching trash.
OK b:lol:lolmer

daslicer
03-18-2020, 09:22 PM
That's not it.

Old people dont give a shit. They already had theirs.

Millennials and the gen z are the ones that are supposed to take over. It seems like half the millennials are responsible and the other half are just leeching trash.

Can't take over when Boomers don't allow it. Millennials have never been in charge of the corporations,government, etc. Boomers have control of all levers of society right now and refuse to let go.

Reck
03-18-2020, 09:22 PM
OK b:lol:lolmer

:lol

Congrats on 10k posts btw. :toast

TheGreatYacht
03-18-2020, 09:55 PM

Youngster are more woke and not sheep like the brainwashed low IQ boomers.

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 10:16 PM
We're not fooled, amirite Chumpettes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVbCWTvUGdQ

pgardn
03-18-2020, 10:24 PM

If you are young and aware-woke, I wanna be old and comatose.
Youtube has taken your bizarre thought process and magnified it.

Dude, you think this virus was a joint US-Israeli project in order to not be labeled a sheep? My god...

Newsflash. You are a sheep, to the outrageous.

DarrinS
03-18-2020, 10:34 PM

If I met you in person, I would knock you TFO.

You are 100% the dumbest MF on this forum.

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 10:38 PM

Totally uncalled for, tbh.

Reck
03-18-2020, 10:43 PM

knocking someone out is where you draw the line, derp? You mock deseased senators almost daily. You’re not a moral authority here.

pgardn
03-18-2020, 10:44 PM

Carries zero weight coming from you.

The threads you created...

DMX7
knocking someone out is where you draw the line, derp? You mock deseased senators almost daily. You’re not a moral authority here.

But nobody here is more desperate for attention.

DMX7
GOP is only fiscally conservative when Dems are in control of government.

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 10:45 PM
Carries zero weight coming from you.

The threads you created...

Cos I've called out people on their sh**?

There, there, Cuck Garden.

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 10:46 PM
knocking someone out is where you draw the line, derp?

Not at all. I just think TGY is saying what he believes. Nothing wrong with that.

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 10:47 PM
You mock deseased senators almost daily.

Oh, the humanity!

DMC
03-18-2020, 10:47 PM
I get the boomer meme, but everytime someone on the left utters it I remember they chose Bernie :lol

Chucho
03-18-2020, 10:51 PM
I get the boomer meme, but everytime someone on the left utters it I remember they chose Bernie :lol

The irony of ineffectual, do-nothing, self-absorbed pseudo moralists that complain while "the world burns" insulting Hippies is delicious. :lol

midnightpulp
03-18-2020, 10:53 PM

The logic behind social distancing and self-quarantine isn't necessarily to help old people, but to spread out the infections over time so that our "wonderful" healthcare system isn't overwhelmed. In the grand scheme, yeah, Covid isn't really a deadly disease, but when you're talking about a country with over 300 million people, the percentage rise of cases that will require hospitalizations will translate into thousands and thousands of people. For instance, the flu kills about .02 percent of the 18-49 demo every year. Covid in South Korea, whose response to the outbreak was excellent, is reporting death rates of .12 percent and .09 percent in the 30-39 and 40-49 age groups respectively. No reported deaths under-30, but again, it's about slowing the rate of infection. If hundred thousand spring breakers or whatever infect fifty thousand in the 30-49 demo, it'll be a problem.

ElNono
03-18-2020, 10:54 PM
He did the same thing in '06. One would hope voters that matter realize it was all smoke and mirrors, per par. Dear Leader loyalists are too dumb to even care anymore, they'll spin this as 6D chess.

Spurtacular
03-18-2020, 10:57 PM
The logic behind social distancing and self-quarantine isn't necessarily to help old people, but to spread out the infections over time so that our "wonderful" healthcare system isn't overwhelmed.

Wouldn't even be much of a worry if the the bureaucrats weren't f*cking up the system. Give it back to the free market and let people get on with their lives. This is what happens when we all get stuck on govt's teet.

ElNono
03-18-2020, 11:00 PM
^ there it is, the free-market canard

ChumpDumper
03-18-2020, 11:04 PM
^ there it is, the free-market canardFree market:

https://www.wfla.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/71/2020/03/Clearwater-beach.jpg

midnightpulp
03-18-2020, 11:07 PM
If you are young and aware-woke, I wanna be old and comatose.
Youtube has taken your bizarre thought process and magnified it.

Dude, you think this virus was a joint US-Israeli project in order to not be labeled a sheep? My god...

Newsflash. You are a sheep, to the outrageous.

The "boomer" meme is pretty retarded. The boomers were actually the first to get hit hard by economic globalization, the Reagan tax cuts, and out sourcing. Those "awesome" factory jobs that people think all boomers had when they were younger were pretty much gone by the late 70s. We can see it here. Look at the huge rise in post-WWII median family income from 1950-70. Then we see it flatten and slowly rise thereafter. It was more the greatest generation who benefitted from that manufacturing phenomenon than boomers. Then Nixon (not a boomer) opened trade with China and then Reagan (not a boomer) came along and tax cut the shit out of everything, both of which decimated the blue collar middle class in the country.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/dc/76/3b/dc763b5ca0e796374f7c40a4b2f49e02.jpg

Yes, some boomers benefitted, but it was boomers in the 1 percent class. Ultimately, it's never been about boomers screwing over young people, but the rich screwing over everyone else. You can bet all these billionaire Gen-X and millennial tech bros don't give a shit about the millennial middle class. In fact, they're trying to automate their jobs away :lol.

Pelicans78
03-18-2020, 11:11 PM
Free market:

https://www.wfla.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/71/2020/03/Clearwater-beach.jpg

If Trump carpetbombed that beach, he would get my vote.

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2020, 11:18 PM
If Trump carpetbombed that beach, he would get my vote.

It's Spring Break biatches! Party time!!!

ElNono
03-18-2020, 11:21 PM
The "boomer" meme is pretty retarded. The boomers were actually the first to get hit hard by economic globalization, the Reagan tax cuts, and out sourcing. Those "awesome" factory jobs that people think all boomers had when they were younger were pretty much gone by the late 70s. We can see it here. Look at the huge rise in post-WWII median family income from 1950-70. Then we see it flatten and slowly rise thereafter. It was more the greatest generation who benefitted from that manufacturing phenomenon than boomers. Then Nixon (not a boomer) opened trade with China and then Reagan (not a boomer) came along and tax cut the shit out of everything, both of which decimated the blue collar middle class in the country.

Yes, some boomers benefitted, but it was boomers in the 1 percent class. Ultimately, it's never been about boomers screwing over young people, but the rich screwing over everyone else. You can bet all these billionaire Gen-X and millennial tech bros don't give a shit about the millennial middle class. In fact, they're trying to automate their jobs away :lol.

My issue with boomers is that they've had it extremely easy in a lot of regards, and now they're completely bitchmade. They're the generation that reaped the most benefits from moving away from the gold standard to fiat money, the govt credit card spending during the Reagan years, they're roughly the 2nd generation of Medicare users, meaning they had to only pay for one generation ahead of them in a bustling economy paid with debt, cheap college, cheap property values, etc.

Now that the wallet got tighter they suddenly care about government debt, who's going to pay for their medicare, god forbid the needy get a handout, bitch that kids don't pay attention and don't become indentured servants to pay for a college loan, etc. Completely bitchmade.

(I'm generalizing here, not every boomer fits the mold).

midnightpulp
03-18-2020, 11:22 PM
Can't take over when Boomers don't allow it. Millennials have never been in charge of the corporations,government, etc. Boomers have control of all levers of society right now and refuse to let go.

Millennials and Gen-Xers run some of the largest tech corporations in the world. And people like Zuckerfuck and Musk, with all their billions, have pretty much done fuckall to change things. Millennials are constantly raging about boomer this, boomer that, muh student loans, etc, etc, but yet they don't effect change. "We can't change things because of boomers!" No, it's because millennials are just as divided as boomers always were and thus don't collectively have enough votes to elect someone like Sanders. Look at the breakdown of Trump voters. More white Millennials and Gen-Xers supported Trump over Clinton. And no, I don't think those were disaffected "Bernie Bros." Charlie Kirk has a career precisely because there's a shitload of millennials who want to keep the status quo.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/58234384190000a502c31d55.png?ops=scalefit_630_noup scale

midnightpulp
03-18-2020, 11:28 PM
My issue with boomers is that they've had it extremely easy in a lot of regards, and now they're completely bitchmade. They're the generation that reaped the most benefits from moving away from the gold standard to fiat money, the govt credit card spending during the Reagan years, they're roughly the 2nd generation of Medicare users, meaning they had to only pay for one generation ahead of them in a bustling economy paid with debt, cheap college, cheap property values, etc.

Now that the wallet got tighter they suddenly care about government debt, who's going to pay for their medicare, god forbid the needy get a handout, bitch that kids don't pay attention and don't become indentured servants to pay for a college loan, etc. Completely bitchmade.

You act like boomers are a collective hive mind. You'll see in my post above yours that the breakdown of Trump supporters is pretty linear among ALL white age demographics. To frame this issues as a "boomer vs. millennial" situation is wrong. It's once again a right vs. left issue, and those same right leaning millennials have those same political and economic points-of-view as right leaning boomers. My issue here is millennials constantly playing the victim, when a huge percentage of that demo votes to keep things the same. Instead of yelling at boomers, millennials should be trying to convince Charlie Kirk's followers that they're wrong.

ElNono
03-18-2020, 11:34 PM
You act like boomers are a collective hive mind. You'll see in my post above yours that the breakdown of Trump supporters is pretty linear among ALL white age demographics. To frame this issues as a "boomer vs. millennial" situation is wrong. It's once again a right vs. left issue, and those same right leaning millennials have those same political and economic points-of-view as right leaning boomers. My issue here is millennials constantly playing the victim, when a huge percentage of that demo votes to keep things the same. Instead of yelling at boomers, millennials should be trying to convince Charlie Kirk's followers that they're wrong.

I wasn't talking about their political biases in general. And look, Millenials will eventually wake up and smell the coffee... if we're being honest a lot of our generations (X, Y, etc) didn't really give two damns about politics when young.

midnightpulp
03-18-2020, 11:44 PM
I wasn't talking about their political biases in general. And look, Millenials will eventually wake up and smell the coffee... if we're being honest a lot of our generations (X, Y, etc) didn't really give two damns about politics when young.

My point here was the millennials (or so it seems) love to complain about the state of the world due to evil boomers, when many of them are voting to keep the state of the world exactly the same. If student loan debt, rising rent, and such were such crucial issues, why aren't millennials coming out in droves to vote Bernie in or at the very least, vote to keep shitheads like Trump out of office? They aren't because many of them have benefitted from those same things their boomer parents benefitted from and/or have the same racial and political points-of-view as their boomer parents. They won't "wake up and smell the coffee" because that millennial demographic stands to lose the most if someone like Bernie is elected. That's why I say it's the same story as it ever was. Not old vs. young, but right vs. left (you'll see many Latino boomers, majority of whom are 2nd and 3rd generation, were actually against Trump more than the millennial demographic. This illustrates it's not an old vs. young situation).

SnakeBoy
03-18-2020, 11:51 PM
I think BS hoping Biden will be overtaken by physical exhaustion and stress. Sanders has no other path I can see, does someone else see it?

If Biden falls Bernie still has no path.

vy65
03-18-2020, 11:52 PM

Aren't boomers defined as people born between 1946 and 1966? If so, split the difference and say your average boomer was born in 1956 and entered the workforce in 1978. Your chart shows about a 15% increase in income (about 8k).

Now compare that to Millennials, born, on average in 1990 (between 1980 and 2000), and entering the workforce in https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2018/3/1/saupload_median-household-income-in-21st-century-nominal-and-real-estimates-200001-thru-201801.png

This graph also shows about a 10% increase if you assume your average millennial entered the workforce in 2012. But that doesn't account for the great recession. If you take the year to year average over the past 20 years, meaning the two decades when millennials began entering the workforce, you have stagnation. Doing so for the 20 years when boomers entered the workforce (1968 - 1988) and you have about a 30% increase.

And that's saying nothing about the policy choices made by boomers ...

Winehole23
03-18-2020, 11:55 PM
If Biden falls Bernie still has no path.Sure, maybe not.

We live in interesting times, eh?

vy65
03-18-2020, 11:55 PM
Millennials and Gen-Xers run some of the largest tech corporations in the world. And people like Zuckerfuck and Musk, with all their billions, have pretty much done fuckall to change things. Millennials are constantly raging about boomer this, boomer that, muh student loans, etc, etc, but yet they don't effect change. "We can't change things because of boomers!" No, it's because millennials are just as divided as boomers always were and thus don't collectively have enough votes to elect someone like Sanders. Look at the breakdown of Trump voters. More white Millennials and Gen-Xers supported Trump over Clinton. And no, I don't think those were disaffected "Bernie Bros." Charlie Kirk has a career precisely because there's a shitload of millennials who want to keep the status quo.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/58234384190000a502c31d55.png?ops=scalefit_630_noup scale

Agree that there's a fuckton of empty Bernie rage out there, but bruh, come on. What has Jamie Dimon or Lloyd Blankfein done to save the world other than to take massive government handouts?

Monostradamus
03-18-2020, 11:57 PM

:tu

midnightpulp
03-19-2020, 12:21 AM
Aren't boomers defined as people born between 1946 and 1966? If so, split the difference and say your average boomer was born in 1956 and entered the workforce in 1978. Your chart shows somewhere between about a 6% increase in median family income, so about 10%.

Now compare that to Millennials, born, on average in 1990 (between 1980 and 2000), and entering the workforce in https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2018/3/1/saupload_median-household-income-in-21st-century-nominal-and-real-estimates-200001-thru-201801.png

This graph also shows about a 10% increase if you assume your average millennial entered the workforce in 2012. But that doesn't account for the great recession. If you take the year to year average over the past 20 years, meaning the two decades when millennials began entering the workforce, you have stagnation. Doing so for the 20 years when boomers entered the workforce (1968 - 1988) and you have about a 30% increase.

And that's saying nothing about the policy choices made by boomers ...

But boomers didn't all just retire in 2000, and have experienced that same stagnation and got hit just as hard during the great recession by losing a shitload off their 401ks and such. Millennials didn't have the same skin in the game (retirement funds, mortgages, etc) as boomers did during the recession, and as your graph shows, working millennials entered a growing economy that saw a 10 percent gain from 2012-2018.

Indeed, the Clinton years were good to Boomers and younger Gen-Xers, where the majority of wage growth occurred for them, but then 9/11 and the recession happened in a relatively short time frame. Anyhow, my essential point was boomers didn't experience the huge growth brought on by American manufacturing. You'll see that median household income exploded from about 27k to 50k in just 20 years (1950-70), nearly a 100 percent increase. People believe that boomers benefitted from that economy, when it was in fact their parents. And then when they become of working age, those factory jobs weren't as plentiful as they once were.

Yes, policy choices by boomers suck. But so will policy choices made millennials once they get into office en masse. The Trump voter breakdown illustrates that the majority of white millennials (who are more than likely than other demos to wind up in politics) are content with the status quo. That's why I don't frame this "feud" as young vs. old, but right vs. left, rich vs. everyone else, etc.

midnightpulp
03-19-2020, 12:30 AM
Agree that there's a fuckton of empty Bernie rage out there, but bruh, come on. What has Jamie Dimon or Lloyd Blankfein done to save the world other than to take massive government handouts?

Nothing. That's my point. When the rich "get theirs," you have to pry it from their cold, dead hands. If you think millennial or Gen X billionaires are going to be any different, I don't know what to say. How many subsidies has Musk taken to play with his rockets? What has Zuckerberg or any of the other facebook billionaires to effect real change? My contention here is that millennials think they're morally superior (as a group) to those evil and greedy boomers, when millennials (or any other demographic) aren't any different. And it has nothing to do with generational mentalities, but just plain old human nature. My belief is that in order to be billionaire, you have to be on the sociopathy scale to an extent, which is why you never see billionaires and the like really step up outside of PR charity donations or philanthropic actions that are only done because they'll benefit the bottom line in some way.

ElNono
03-19-2020, 12:32 AM
My point here was the millennials (or so it seems) love to complain about the state of the world due to evil boomers, when many of them are voting to keep the state of the world exactly the same. If student loan debt, rising rent, and such were such crucial issues, why aren't millennials coming out in droves to vote Bernie in or at the very least, vote to keep shitheads like Trump out of office? They aren't because many of them have benefitted from those same things their boomer parents benefitted from and/or have the same racial and political points-of-view as their boomer parents. They won't "wake up and smell the coffee" because that millennial demographic stands to lose the most if someone like Bernie is elected. That's why I say it's the same story as it ever was. Not old vs. young, but right vs. left (you'll see many Latino boomers, majority of whom are 2nd and 3rd generation, were actually against Trump more than the millennial demographic. This illustrates it's not an old vs. young situation).

Because there isn't enough mid... this shit didn't start with millenials... go ask GenX and forward how they feel about boomers. The US had a huge drop in family reproduction after the boomer generation. Look it up. Just about now we're getting to the point where if you put all generations together after the boomers, you get somewhat an even field.

And people like Gen X or Y are more center than Millenials, I'm fully aware they wouldn't vote for a Bernie. It also got to the point where policy choices made will be with us far after the boomers are gone.

Again, I don't particularly hate anybody, but if you get served a shit sandwich here or there, it's only fair to point it out. I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it". Yeah, but you've done with cheap ass college tuition, racking up the federal debt like there's no tomorrow (when you started with a clean sheet), cheap rent, cheap property, etc.

daslicer
03-19-2020, 12:35 AM

You make some great points but I believe some of the chart is skewed if the results are from 2016. The common definition of Millennials is people born between 1980-1995. So of 2016 they would have been anybody between the age of 21-36. In the chart for example whites who are 30-44 only about little less than half of that demographic would include Millennials while the majority would be Xers. So I feel the results are kind of skewed but I agree with you it's divided close to around 49-51 when it comes to white millennials and conservatism. I also believe some white millennials voted for Trump out of desperation in the sense they wanted change and were disappointed at Obama for not doing enough.

As for the future of white millennials I think they are going to keep switching back and forth when it comes to whatever candidate can speak on populism. It's the reasons why the majority of them voted for Obama in '08 because they thought he could deliver great change.

As a whole the majority of millennials when you factor in not just white millennials but other races are not conservative. You are right though Zuckerberg didn't do anything to change anything but I didn't expect him to. He's like any rich guy regardless of age they are going to do anything to protect the status quo.

I feel the only knock you can give millennials is that they were not active enough when it came to voting. They did not vote in midterm elections that allowed conservatives to grab the Senate and Congress for the majority of Obama's presidency. I could be wrong but even with Bernie Sanders you could say they didn't turn out enough. The majority of voters in these primaries were people who are above the age of 40 which is not millennials. Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet. The boomers however changed the world. They are the generation that pushed for tax cuts for the rich and deregulation of corporations along with destroying unions.

As for Xers they have always been very conservative so I'm not surprised that they voted for Trump.

pgardn
03-19-2020, 12:40 AM
Cos I've called out people on their sh**?

There, there, Cuck Garden.

Call yourself shit.
Contradictory asshole.

midnightpulp
03-19-2020, 12:45 AM
Because there isn't enough mid... this shit didn't start with millenials... go ask GenX and forward how they feel about boomers. The US had a huge drop in family reproduction after the boomer generation. Look it up. Just about now we're getting to the point where if you put all generations together after the boomers, you get somewhat an even field.

And people like Gen X or Y are more center than Millenials, I'm fully aware they wouldn't vote for a Bernie. It also got to the point where policy choices made will be with us far after the boomers are gone.

Again, I don't particularly hate anybody, but if you get served a shit sandwich here or there, it's only fair to point it out. I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it". Yeah, but you've done with cheap ass college tuition, racking up the federal debt like there's no tomorrow (when you started with a clean sheet), cheap rent, cheap property, etc.

This is wrong. Millennials are now the largest demographic in the US. I don't see how it can be any clearer that white millennials supported Trump at about the same rate as other white demographics. You're framing it like it's the boomers keeping the millennials down, when (white) millennials aren't doing jack shit to change things because they are likely benefitting from the status quo.

I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it".

How common is this really outside of facebook memes and the occasional millennial hating article by some republican boomer? It's seems the whole millennial discontent toward boomers is based solely around this anecdote, when I myself never heard a boomer admonish a millennial like that. Again my point here is that discontent should be more focused on the shit-ton of millennials that have posters of Charlie Kirk in their room. Millennials aren't some united group against the boomers, nor are boomers some united group against young people. A leftist boomer will agree with a leftist millennial, while a right leaning boomer will disagree with a leftist boomer, and so on.

midnightpulp
03-19-2020, 12:56 AM
You make some great points but I believe some of the chart is skewed if the results are from 2016. The common definition of Millennials is people born between 1980-1995. So of 2016 they would have been anybody between the age of 21-36. In the chart for example whites who are 30-44 only about little less than half of that demographic would include Millennials while the majority would be Xers. So I feel the results are kind of skewed but I agree with you it's divided close to around 49-51 when it comes to white millennials and conservatism. I also believe some white millennials voted for Trump out of desperation in the sense they wanted change and were disappointed at Obama for not doing enough.

As for the future of white millennials I think they are going to keep switching back and forth when it comes to whatever candidate can speak on populism. It's the reasons why the majority of them voted for Obama in '08 because they thought he could deliver great change.

As a whole the majority of millennials when you factor in not just white millennials but other races are not conservative. You are right though Zuckerberg didn't do anything to change anything but I didn't expect him to. He's like any rich guy regardless of age they are going to do anything to protect the status quo.

I feel the only knock you can give millennials is that they were not active enough when it came to voting. They did not vote in midterm elections that allowed conservatives to grab the Senate and Congress for the majority of Obama's presidency. I could be wrong but even with Bernie Sanders you could say they didn't turn out enough. The majority of voters in these primaries were people who are above the age of 40 which is not millennials. Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet. The boomers however changed the world. They are the generation that pushed for tax cuts for the rich and deregulation of corporations along with destroying unions.

As for Xers they have always been very conservative so I'm not surprised that they voted for Trump.

And that's my whole point. You can't blame another generation for bad policy when half that generation also supports that bad policy. And not all white boomers voted for that policy. They were similarly divided 50/50 throughout their history (you can look at the breakdown by age for Reagan voters) but a fact of life for some is that you get more conservative as you age, so I would expect the millennial right/left percentage breakdown to change to that 60/40 ratio as they age.

Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet.

Because they do not vote. And they are now the largest age group in the US. There's no excuses for them now. And yes, there's enough likeminded Xers and Boomers to push policy favorable to millennials forward if millennials simply turned out en masse. And the voter suppression shit doesn't fly with me because you can easily get a mail-in ballot, at least where I'm from.

daslicer
03-19-2020, 01:03 AM
And that's my whole point. You can't blame another generation for bad policy when half that generation also supports that bad policy. And not all white boomers voted for that policy. They were similarly divided 50/50 throughout their history (you can look at the breakdown by age for Reagan voters) but a fact of life for some is that you get more conservative as you age, so I would expect the millennial right/left percentage breakdown to change to that 60/40 ratio as they age.

Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet.

Because they do not vote. And they are now the largest age group in the US. There's no excuses for them now. And yes, there's enough likeminded Xers and Boomers to push policy favorable to millennials forward if millennials simply turned out en masse. And the voter suppression shit doesn't fly with me because you can easily get a mail-in ballot, at least where I'm from.

I don't think Millennials will ever get to a 60/40 ratio due to their racial composition. At least 40 percent of the Millennials are non-white. Older black people,latino people, and even Asians tend to stay to the left. You do have the right to criticize the millennials for not voting. As a fellow millennial that's one thing I have always bashed them on. I knew a quite few millennials who decided not to vote in 2016 and stay home. Some even decided to vote third party which did a lot of damage in my state. I live in NC where Trump only won a plurality of the votes. He won 49 percent, while Clinton won 46, and third party got 5 percent.

ElNono
03-19-2020, 01:04 AM
This is wrong. Millennials are now the largest demographic in the US. I don't see how it can be any clearer that white millennials supported Trump at about the same rate as other white demographics. You're framing it like it's the boomers keeping the millennials down, when (white) millennials aren't doing jack shit to change things because they are likely benefitting from the status quo.

I do stand corrected that the numbers were not quite as I remember them. However, in my defense, this is what I was trying to remember off the top of my head:

Millennials projected to overtake Baby Boomers as America’s largest generation
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/01/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/

That's from 2018, way past the last election.

IMO, you're also overlooking the fact that Shillary was a terrible candidate and Trump was largely an unknown that ran on a lot of lefty policies (closed economy, bringing back manufacturing, stopping outsourcing and globalization).

I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it".

How common is this really outside of facebook memes and the occasional millennial hating article by some republican boomer? It's seems the whole millennial discontent toward boomers is based solely around this anecdote, when I myself never heard a boomer admonish a millennial like that. Again my point here is that discontent should be more focused on the shit-ton of millennials that have posters of Charlie Kirk in their room. Millennials aren't some united group against the boomers, nor are boomers some united group against young people. A leftist boomer will agree with a leftist millennial, while a right leaning boomer will disagree with a leftist boomer, and so on.

It's not a meme, it's the legacy they leave behind. I'm not saying they plotted to hurt the forward generations, but they undeniably did. And so we hold some of the shit sandwiches, and arguing whether they did it on purpose or not is immaterial. They did it because they benefited them at the time, now we have to live with it.

daslicer
03-19-2020, 01:11 AM
I do stand corrected that the numbers were not quite as I remember them. However, in my defense, this is what I was trying to remember off the top of my head:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/01/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/

IMO, you're also overlooking the fact that Shillary was a terrible candidate and Trump was largely an unknown that ran on a lot of lefty policies (closed economy, bringing back manufacturing, stopping outsourcing and globalization).

It's not a meme, it's the legacy they leave behind. I'm not saying they plotted to hurt the forward generations, but they undeniably did. And so we hold some of the shit sandwiches, and arguing whether they did it on purpose or not is immaterial. They did it because they benefited them at the time, now we have to live with it.

Agreed it's like I said earlier in my original post that populism is big among my generation. If you want to win millennials you have to speak on populism. It's why I think the next election you could have low millennial turn out again due to Biden not being a good populist candidate.

midnightpulp
03-19-2020, 01:21 AM

Hillary wasn't a strong candidate, but Trump's courting of the alt-right and inflaming racism should've steered any well meaning leftist millennial away from him and to the lesser evil. This didn't happen because in fact many millennials do indeed share Trump's vision. The alt-right is pretty much a millennial creation.

And we Gen-Xers and Millennials have to hold the Trump shit sandwich. Older people tend to be more conservative because at their stage of life, they're looking for security and certainty (which tax breaks and patriotism appeal to), so you can't count on them to vote for leftist disruptors or leftist politicians in general. And what did we collectively do? Stay home. If millennials turned out in those swing states, which Trump won by razor thin margins, it's a different story. Sure, we can say there might've been no difference between Trump and Hillary, but Trump's administration has been a chaotic clown show from day 1, only propped up by a stock market he didn't create.

I guess the point I'm trying to drive home is that millennials aren't all Bernie loving democratic socialists who care about the environment and poor. A significant portion of them are happy with the shit sandwich the (rich and powerful) boomers created because it's prime rib for them.

ElNono
03-19-2020, 01:57 AM
Hillary wasn't a strong candidate, but Trump's courting of the alt-right and inflaming racism should've steered any well meaning leftist millennial away from him and to the lesser evil. This didn't happen because in fact many millennials do indeed share Trump's vision. The alt-right is pretty much a millennial creation.

And we Gen-Xers and Millennials have to hold the Trump shit sandwich. Older people tend to be more conservative because at their stage of life, they're looking for security and certainty (which tax breaks and patriotism appeal to), so you can't count on them to vote for leftist disruptors or leftist politicians in general. And what did we collectively do? Stay home. If millennials turned out in those swing states, which Trump won by razor thin margins, it's a different story. Sure, we can say there might've been no difference between Trump and Hillary, but Trump's administration has been a chaotic clown show from day 1, only propped up by a stock market he didn't create.

I guess the point I'm trying to drive home is that millennials aren't all Bernie loving democratic socialists who care about the environment and poor. A significant portion of them are happy with the shit sandwich the (rich and powerful) boomers created because it's prime rib for them.

I don't think they are all that, but, to be fair, we should also agree that the shit sandwich that the DNC and GOP are these days is not their fault either. When they had a relatively young, hipster candidate (on paper anyways), they did come out and vote.

vy65
03-19-2020, 09:10 AM
But boomers didn't all just retire in 2000, and have experienced that same stagnation and got hit just as hard during the great recession by losing a shitload off their 401ks and such. Millennials didn't have the same skin in the game (retirement funds, mortgages, etc) as boomers did during the recession, and as your graph shows, working millennials entered a growing economy that saw a 10 percent gain from 2012-2018.

Indeed, the Clinton years were good to Boomers and younger Gen-Xers, where the majority of wage growth occurred for them, but then 9/11 and the recession happened in a relatively short time frame. Anyhow, my essential point was boomers didn't experience the huge growth brought on by American manufacturing. You'll see that median household income exploded from about 27k to 50k in just 20 years (1950-70), nearly a 100 percent increase. People believe that boomers benefitted from that economy, when it was in fact their parents. And then when they become of working age, those factory jobs weren't as plentiful as they once were.

Yes, policy choices by boomers suck. But so will policy choices made millennials once they get into office en masse. The Trump voter breakdown illustrates that the majority of white millennials (who are more than likely than other demos to wind up in politics) are content with the status quo. That's why I don't frame this "feud" as young vs. old, but right vs. left, rich vs. everyone else, etc.

That boomers had skin in the game is the point. They profited from a 20 year period that saw wages rise — millennials didn’t. And this notion is incorrect anyway. That home equity and those 401ks that boomers were able to amass beginning in the 80s will come roaring back. The notion that boomers were hurt because of this skin in the game is really kinda crazy.

midnightpulp
03-19-2020, 09:47 AM
That boomers had skin in the game is the point. They profited from a 20 year period that saw wages rise — millennials didn’t. And this notion is incorrect anyway. That home equity and those 401ks that boomers were able to amass beginning in the 80s will come roaring back. The notion that boomers were hurt because of this skin in the game is really kinda crazy.

Yes, for the rich boomers and even Gen Xers who bought up all those devalued mortgages for pennies on the dollar. I don't think you're appreciating how many average Joe working class boomers lost their homes and/or had their 401ks wiped out during the great recession. This relates to my point that it isn't a young vs. old issue, but a rich vs. "ordinary person" issue, which is a tale as old as time.

Gen X and Millennial median income has actually risen following the recession, with Gen X actually earning more than their boomer counterparts. Millennials saw the biggest gains.

https://imgur.com/a/UUEqYhZ

Hell, even the Silent Generation (who aren't in the workforce anymore) saw gains.

DMC
03-19-2020, 09:50 AM
The greatest generation suffered through something they brought on themselves, and in the process they raped the earth of natural resources, killed everything that walked or swam or flew, with zero limits or give a shit.

Yeah, great people. They were resolved, for sure, but great is something that should be reserved for individuals, not generations.

midnightpulp
03-19-2020, 10:10 AM
The greatest generation suffered through something they brought on themselves, and in the process they raped the earth of natural resources, killed everything that walked or swam or flew, with zero limits or give a shit.

Yeah, great people. They were resolved, for sure, but great is something that should be reserved for individuals, not generations.

They consistently get a pass because of World War II, while millennials and younger people in general are irrationally focused on boomers because reasons. Yes, older people have always criticized younger people for being lazy. Get the fuck over it. Anyhow, let's see.

- The Greatest Generation opened up trade with China and were the executives in charge of major corporations at that time that saw much of American manufacturing being parceled out to countries like Taiwan, Malaysia and then latter China proper.

- The Greatest Generation legalized stock buybacks and passed huge tax cuts, both of which stagnated middle-class growth.

- Carbon Emissions rose much faster during the Greatest Generation's reign than during the Boomer's.

https://rockingthegrid.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/c02emissionspercapita.jpg

To be fair, no one really knew that doing so would be harmful to the planet in those days, but millennials, et al love to spout angst toward the boomers about how they ruined the environment, when boomers have brought it down, and this is despite us using more plastic, more cars on the road and just basically manufacturing more consumer goods than at any time in human history. Millennials aren't really helping matters, either with their insatiable need for electronic gadgets. They just focus on "boomer things" like cars, while the carbon footprint of smartphone use and manufacturing is projected to be greater than transportation in a couple of decades.

Don't read this as defense of boomers, but more a call to millennials. Don't sit around on twitter and complain. Go fuckin' vote. Don't whine about carbon emissions as you buy the new smartphone and Alexa model every 6 months. Don't cry about corporate domination and monopolies while you keep feeding the Amazon beast rather than shop locally in brick and mortar because "it's so convenient!" Don't complain about alienation and isolation while you conduct most of your social life on facebook and Instagram.

Ball Buster
03-19-2020, 02:29 PM
https://twitter.com/jimmy_dore/status/1240710127369388033?s=21

spurraider21
03-19-2020, 02:33 PM
lol jimmy dore

ElNono
03-19-2020, 02:45 PM
Nancy

DMC
03-19-2020, 02:55 PM
lol jimmy dore

There's a name I wouldn't mind seeing on the coronavirus list

koriwhat
03-19-2020, 05:25 PM

koriwhat
03-19-2020, 05:26 PM
There's a name I wouldn't mind seeing on the coronavirus list

TheGreatYacht
03-20-2020, 01:20 AM
Trump Proposes Gov. Own Corporations It Bails Out!

https://youtu.be/WovzIZFcm4c
Trump Proposes Socialism! UBI & Foreclosure/Eviction Freeze!

https://youtu.be/Reu9puZFUms

Are Trumpsters okay with this form of socialism because it's coming from daddy Trump and team Republican?

Isitjustme?
03-20-2020, 07:35 PM
Curses, outflanked again!

ElNono
03-20-2020, 07:39 PM

You underestimate the trickle down effect

Isitjustme?
03-20-2020, 08:12 PM
You underestimate the trickle down effect

Tbh the money those Republicans got from selling their stock is going to trickle down so I don't know what people are upset about

Will Hunting
03-20-2020, 08:20 PM

:lmao I hope this passes, 2018 was the best earning year of my career. Time to get PAID!

Thanks McConnell!

TheGreatYacht
03-20-2020, 08:30 PM
Tax experts urge Congress to redesign coronavirus rebate checks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/finance/488734-tax-experts-urge-congress-to-redesign-coronavirus-rebate-checks%3famp

Thread
03-20-2020, 09:03 PM
Tbh the money those Republicans got from selling their stock is going to trickle down so I don't know what people are upset about

Feinstein sold it as well.

TheGreatYacht
03-21-2020, 05:16 PM
GOP stimulis plan to exclude the rich and the poor

https://youtu.be/VV0H17GNSC8

Why exclude the poor? Cuz they don't vote Republican?

Reck
03-21-2020, 05:21 PM
GOP stimulis plan to exclude the rich and the poor

https://youtu.be/VV0H17GNSC8

Why exclude the poor? Cuz they don't vote Republican?

They're not getting excluded. Just getting chump change. nowhere near the touted 1.5k.