PDA

View Full Version : Duncan signs, Spurs essentially DONE shopping

IcemanCometh
07-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Are we seriosuly stuck with Rasho Nesterovic as our only fucking signing.

WHAT A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT SUMMER

KoriEllis
07-16-2003, 04:56 PM
No, this guy just signed.

http://www.fullsportpress.com/duncan12.jpg

Wednesday, July 16

Duncan agrees to seven-year deal with Spurs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Tim Duncan has agreed to a seven-year, $122 million deal with the San Antonio Spurs, ESPN's David Aldridge reported Wednesday.

Even though Duncan had become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, he indicated that the only team he was considering was the Spurs.

Duncan led San Antonio to the NBA title this past season, defeating the Nets in six games.

Shelly
07-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Agree, Kori...

Now I'll admit that I am ignorant when it comes to FAs, contracts, etc., but what I DON'T understand is why these people wouldn't want to play with Duncan and on a team that has won 2 championships.

Is it because they don't want to take a backseat to Tim?

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 05:08 PM
No.

It's because everyone think San Antonio is a stuffy team and a boring place to play. Ask _____ ____.

:cooldevil

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Of course Maggette going to the hotbed of hotties up in Utah makes sense..

AHF

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 05:16 PM
It's because everyone think San Antonio is a stuffy team

And you know this how? How exactly are Tim Duncan, Stephen Jackson, Malik Rose, and Tony Parker "stuffy"? WTF? Damn, I saw Jax and Rose at the Playboy Mansion last night on ESPN2. Yeah, they're "stuffy." Fucking moron.

and a boring place to play.

Yes Ghost, we are all boring and yet you choose to be here.

Shelly
07-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Seriously, I really think these people want to be the 'star' outside of Kidd. It makes no sense to me. If I were a FA, I'd be drooling to play Duncan.

At least Rasho got it. :p

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Marcus, my explanation is perpetuated by high-profile people from Charles Barkley to Cedric the Entertainer.

Check the ratings from the Finals as more evidence that people are bored to death about the Spurs.

Two ballas aren't enough to change that perception overnight.

Playing in the shadow of Tim Duncan holds no more water that my musings.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 05:23 PM
So is Stephen Jackson now not a "credible balla"? Oh no.

T Park Num 9
07-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Jack has been dropped.

Hell be devastated..... Hows he gonna recover this offseason........

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Playing in the shadow of Duncan certainly affects the endorsement potential of a player on the Spurs. That is significant. Not your stupid ass rantings about the Spurs not having a "credible" black assistant coach or whatever. Get a fucking clue, chump.

Samurai Jane
07-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Because they want to play in the East... easier pickings I guess..

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 06:20 PM
Oh yeah. Shaq and Kobe sure have a problem lining up those endorsement deals.

STFU already Marcus.

I can't beleive you are going to act like there isn't a boring, conservative stereotype associated with San Antonio.

Gimme a friggin' break.

T Park Num 9
07-16-2003, 06:23 PM
so your saying

San ANtonio shouldve acted like a bunch of dumbfucks when we won???

So were supposed to act like the morons from LA and other towns that win

just so we can NOT be conservative???

Interesting.

Such bullshit.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 06:26 PM
No, dope.

I am cluing you in to why stars don't come here.

San Antonio is not at the top of the list of free agents for a reason or two, pal.

We had everything to offer and still got shot down.

What does that tell you?

Question.

tlongII
07-16-2003, 07:04 PM
It is because San Antonio is hot, dry, and dusty..............and flat.

DuffMcCartney
07-16-2003, 07:45 PM
And of course this is coming from somebody from Oregon.....the place that has produced......_________......and of course we cant forget that without Oregon there wouldnt be...__________?

:lol

ALSPURS
07-16-2003, 07:49 PM
There has to be someone that is willing to come to a Championship team and play with some of the best players in the NBA.....In front of some of the best fans in the NBA.And get paid alot of money in doing it.

For a second there we sound like the Yankees...

GrandeDavid
07-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Boring my ass. As long as we keep winning championships the big market bandwagoners can kiss our collective ass. Speaking from a more international perspective, I've had a few people from Brazil, the Netherlands and Germany over at my house in San Antonio this past year. These are people who have literally traveled the world and have been there and done that across America. ALL of them absolutely loved San Antonio. Sure, we played some golf and sipped some margaritas and all, but the overall hospitality, geographical location etc. was impressive in their eyes. Now if NBA ballers want to go whoring and be losers in character, that's another thing. But San Antonio is a cool town, man. No doubt about that!

SequSpur
07-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Bro...

Come on..

Tacos?

Margaritas?

Hospitality? Try driving 410 at 5 pm.. Sheyitt.. ain't no hospitality there brotha...

Dude, that isn't a reason to come here.. San Antonio is rather boring unless you like going to Sea World and Fiesta Texas, over and over again..

You must be a tourist...

:lol

GrandeDavid
07-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Nope. Born in Houston but raised in Phat Antonio. Hey, aside from whatever there is to do in San Antonio, its close to Austin, not far from the coast, and not far from the desert paradise called Nuevo Laredo. :lol

Sequ, you sound cynical as hell. Maybe you should do as I've done and move away for awhile, then you'll appreciate the city more. :p

T Park Num 9
07-16-2003, 10:27 PM
I have to move away every summer.

I love San Antonio more and more every fall when i get back home.

The big city, small town feel I LOVE.

Players dont want to come here cause were not loaded with clubs and hos and drugs and beachs.

I love San Antonio. Obviously Rasho likes it.

Thats all that matters.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Guys, GW ain't dissing SA, he's explaining what the PERCEPTION of SA is amongst many players - unglamourous.

Unfortunately I think he's right, what other explanation is there for our bust of a summer??? You and I know that the perception couldn't be farther from the truth - I love SA so much, it's a wonderfully friendly city with heaps to offer - but unfortunately most NBA glamourhounds don't understand that.

Dunkel Weizen
07-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Everyone here may love San Antonio.

But given a choice between becoming part of a dynasty in San Antonio, and being an also-ran anyplace else on Earth, players are flocking to the latter.

I mean, Joumana Kidd freaking said it, the city is perceived as Timbuktu. Whether it's true or not is irrelevant.

And I think we now understand that when any player says their #1 priority is winning a championship, they're lying.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Ruff is right. Shi-i-i-t, I choose to vacation in San Antonio. I love the climate, the Tex-Mex food, the tourist attractions, the friendly people... everything about the city.

I obviously don't have a problem with the Spurs style of basketball either. What's wrong with sticking to fundamentals and winning?

I am just saying that those characteristics may not appeal to free agents.

Tim Duncan is more of a reserved, cerebral basketball player. It's now wonder he loves San Antonio. He fits right in to the laid-back atmosphere.

I think more players should give San Antonio a chance. They can party and go wild on the road!

MrKneebar
07-18-2003, 01:40 AM
I don't understand it when people dog SA and say there isn't anything to do there.

You can do anything here, that you can do in any other city, other than goto the beach. If you are talking about nightlife, S.A. has places to party at. Austin is said to be one of the party capitals and it's 1 hour away.

Most of these guys have families anyway. What do you do? You play basektball as your job, then you spend time with your family like you should.

If it's offseason then you go on vacation to Hawaii, Disney World, wherever.

Unless you a beach nut or can't stand hot weather at all, then the "there is nothing to do here" doesn't hold water. It's BS.

I was born in Texas (Brownsiville) but grew up and spent most of my life in SA. I have lived in Dallas the last 3 years now, and I love it here.

I want to die in SA though. I love it.

We shouldn't critisize Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal for staying with their team. They did what's right for them, and more guys SHOULD be loyal, like Tim has been to us.

I think Brand made a mistake if we had an offer extended to him. He had a chance to become part of something special. Instead, he either is going to stay on the worst roster in basketball, or goto Miami, in a rebuilding phase.

I'm pretty disappointed we didn't land one of these guys, but we have to trust Popovich. I've gone against him a few times and he ALWAYS proves me wrong. I put full trust in him and I think Nesto will work out for us.

We are the Champions, but Lakers are now the team to beat. It sucks, but that is the way it is. Anyone who says differently isn't being realistic. That takes preasure off of us though. It's all on the Lakers. ANYTHING less than a title for them is a COMPLETE failure next season. All it takes is 4 wins guys.

Spurs are the ONLY team who proved they CAN do it.

I'd love nothing more than to see Malone and Payton shaking their heads after we eliminate them going into the Finals.

We won't give up.

Melmart1
07-18-2003, 02:30 AM
ok, i am a big-time lurker here, but i had to chime in for this thread...
as a native san-antonian who is in east coast hell (aka, people in virginia root for the wizards and redskins cus they dont have thier own teams), i must say, san antonio is an awesome city! i went home for xmas, and brought some friends of mine who were native californians (but not lakers fans, so they are forgiven), and they fell in love... when i brought them here for fiesta, they decided to move here! so for those who think its the city, i say think again... also, i used to live in helL-Ay, and guess why i dont live there anymore? cus it sucked! so if FAs pass us up, its not the city, its because they are egotistical and want more exposure in a "bigger market"... i say, more power to them, if thats the way they are, they likely wouldnt have fit in with our team anyways...
Mel.
ps- i hope to post here more, as i am tired of dealing with the idiots on the AOL nba boards... so hello to everyone, hope i didnt offend or bore with my first post....

timvp
07-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Welcome, Melmart.

Good post. Keep it up:hat2

Spursman
07-18-2003, 08:24 AM
Why is it only two days after the signing period began (well, three now but at the time of the original thread) and people are already crying that were done and we have had a crap summer.

NEWSFLASH: THE SPURS AIN'T DONE DEALING.

I never wanted Kidd anyways so that doesn't bother me, and O'Neal dropping approx. $30 mil to come here didn't seem resonable and not likely to happen.

I also did not think that PJ would come here. I do not think the Spurs were going to pay him what the Hornets were and PJ was looking for a last payday.

Brand would have been very nice but I don't blame the Spurs for not wanting to tie up their cap space for 15 days and leave us really in limbo then. Christ, think if that would've happened, some of you folks would be jumping off bridges.

The Spurs still have their main guys here, they added Rasho and will add somemore. We will be fine next year.

Ghost Writer
07-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Melmart, the perception of San Antonio does not fit the reality.

Personnally, if I were a NBA player, I would look forward to the serenity of San Antonio after partying on the road. It's not like San Antonio is a dump like Detroit or something. You can still kick it or kick back in SA.

Melmart1
07-18-2003, 01:41 PM
thanks for the encouragement, timvp... as for the perception in the media of the city, i dont really know what that would be, but here in the south, they consider texas a part of the south (am i the only san antonian who never felt like they were a southerner?) and are amazed that i dont have an accent... does the whole nba listen to "sir" charles and think we are "podunk"?? i want to find that hard to believe, but then again, who knows how the rest of the country sees us, not that i care... also, you would think that as many times as the guys in the nba have been here for a road game, they would know better... then again, maybe i am a dreamer... (but i'm not the only one! sorry, had to throw the john lennon reference in there!) believe me, living in VA hell makes me think SA is the best city in the world!
also, i am amazed that there is still the perception that our free agency summer has failed... i think rasho is going to be great, and like one of the previous posters said, we arent done yet!
also, am i the only one who thinks rasho is kinda cute? LOL!!