PDA

View Full Version : #RentStrike

FkLA
04-01-2020, 08:50 PM
So predictable. Poor, mostly ghetto fucks that go through life looking for handouts using the pandemic as an excuse to receive another handout. Forbearance isn't good enough either, they want complete forgiveness. As if regular homeowners or landlords are getting their mortgage, taxes, and home insurance forgiven. Some of these idiots are out there encouraging fellow renters, who do have the money to pay rent, to not pay as a sign of "solidarity".

I hate entitled poor people, tbh.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaRush/status/1245236405904625664

https://twitter.com/DaveVescio/status/1244861327035617281

ElNono
04-01-2020, 08:54 PM
they'll find out soon enough how eviction works

Reck
04-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Let them do it. And then months later when the crisis is over landlords can just throw their shit on the street the minute the hold on rent gets lift off.

Is one thing if you cant pay out of necessity to buy food in order to survive now but another to just try to get one up on the system just because.

hater
04-01-2020, 09:15 PM
I own a few properties. so far they been paying

I will understand if they lose their jobs I can take a few maybe 3 months late rent

but if they provide no excuse or take advantage theyRe going to get whats coming. I have the keys to the property and can make life real interesting if pissed off :lol

they wont even know whats going on but they will know they need to get out of the property ASAP

Spurtacular
04-01-2020, 09:18 PM
People who have the means to pay their rent should pay their rent

#HonorableThingToDo

Reck
04-01-2020, 09:22 PM
People who have the means to pay their rent should pay their rent

#HonorableThingToDo

You should probably post that on twitter.

Spurtacular
04-01-2020, 09:24 PM
You should probably post that on twitter.

Why?

FkLA
04-01-2020, 09:33 PM
pandemic = handouts for me :cry

https://twitter.com/cdchambs/status/1243245968310534149

DMX7
04-01-2020, 09:44 PM

I will understand if they lose their jobs I can take a few maybe 3 months late rent

but if they provide no excuse or take advantage theyRe going to get whats coming. I have the keys to the property and can make life real interesting if pissed off :lol

they wont even know whats going on but they will know they need to get out of the property ASAP

Cue Led Zeppelin’s Kashmir, hater comin’ for dem rent deadbeats.

ElNono
04-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Cue Led Zeppelin’s Kashmir, hater coming for dem rent deadbeats.

boiling oil in one hand, rent agreement on the other

DMX7
04-01-2020, 09:56 PM

& Che Guevara on his t-shirt

hater
04-01-2020, 10:20 PM

:lol

u go to jail if you throw boiling oil on someone outside your property. not going to jail for a deadbeat

Trill Clinton
04-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Majority of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and now 6.6 million unemployed. What can go wrong?

TimDunkem
04-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Majority of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and now 6.6 million unemployed. What can go wrong?

Doesn't matter. Pay your rent.

scanry
04-02-2020, 10:06 AM

More like 12-15 mil.

vy65
04-02-2020, 10:12 AM
& Che Guevara on his t-shirt

Haterito sounds like one of those Rage Against the Machine fans who can't wait to buy some $50 merch

Trainwreck2100
04-02-2020, 10:52 AM

sorry bud but that's not how that number works, it's 6.6 PLUS the 3.3 from last week, making it close to 10 mil

Trainwreck2100
04-02-2020, 10:54 AM
also the whole "mom and pop landlord don't get a mulligan" is a stupid fucking argument when the vast majority of tenants have to pay corporations for their place to live

Trill Clinton
04-02-2020, 11:05 AM
her landlord tried it

Trill Clinton
04-02-2020, 11:06 AM
sorry bud but that's not how that number works, it's 6.6 PLUS the 3.3 from last week, making it close to 10 mil

I initially had 10M but wasn't sure so I edited to 6.6. Thanks fam.

Millennial_Messiah
04-02-2020, 11:25 AM
Vote Donald Duck out of office is the first order of business.

FkLA
04-02-2020, 11:36 AM

And the majority of those live paycheck to paycheck because of their own choices. If I spent $1000 on iphones, $200 on Jordans, weed and beer all the time, drove a car I can't afford, etc like the idiots I grew up with I'd be a broke ass nigga too.

Doesn't matter. Pay your rent.

If you don't have the rent you don't have the rent. Ask for an extension for when your unemployment/stimulus check comes in. Work out a repayment plan. Shit, ask for a deferment/forbearance if you have to. But to straight up say bullshit like "I'm not paying today and I'm not making it up!"? That's just a disgusting sense of entitlement, tbh.

spurraider21
04-02-2020, 11:40 AM
And the majority of those live paycheck to paycheck because of their own choices. If I spent $1000 on iphones, $200 on Jordans, weed and beer all the time, drove a car I can't afford, etc like the idiots I grew up with I'd be a broke ass nigga too.
How do you know that’s a majority?

Trill Clinton
04-02-2020, 11:45 AM

How do you know thats a majority?

FkLA
04-02-2020, 11:46 AM
How do you know that’s a majority?

How do you know thats a majority?

It's almost always a choice, even if it's not for those specific reasons. SoCal and NYC have a huge percentage of people that are renters. Nobody is keeping them there at gunpoint, preventing them from moving to more affordable places where they can become homeowners.

Will Hunting
04-02-2020, 11:53 AM
Idk man, the median family of 4 makes $60k a year before taxes. Idk how you’d be able to build up any material amoint of savings having to support a family of 4 on that much.

apalisoc_9
04-02-2020, 12:05 PM
It's almost always a choice, even if it's not for those specific reasons. SoCal and NYC have a huge percentage of people that are renters. Nobody is keeping them there at gunpoint, preventing them from moving to more affordable places where they can become homeowners.

I agree waiving payment is stupid and irresponsible.

But bolded is not as easy as it sounds.

My half brothers own a house in NYC, but they've been wanting to move for quite a while now to avoid the city hustle but some jobs/careers are just hard to find in cheaper cities.

spurraider21
04-02-2020, 12:21 PM
its one thing to move when you're about to go to college, be a student, and arent expected to financially support a family.

having a job (or jobs for a working couple) lined up in a different city/state isnt that simple. the act of moving itself is expensive. getting necessary appliances/furniture in place asap. and often times when you do this, you are moving away from family who could support you for a few nights by giving you a place to stay, etc

apalisoc_9
04-02-2020, 12:26 PM
its one thing to move when you're about to go to college, be a student, and arent expected to financially support a family.

having a job (or jobs for a working couple) lined up in a different city/state isnt that simple. the act of moving itself is expensive. getting necessary appliances/furniture in place asap. and often times when you do this, you are moving away from family who could support you for a few nights by giving you a place to stay, etc

To add to that NYC and other larger cities has a large ethnic population and extended families in other cultures tend to rely on each other for care..taking care of older uncles/aunts etc. It's not always because they want to look cool and live in NYC and buy 300 dollar eearings or something stupid.

FkLA
04-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Idk man, the median family of 4 makes $60k a year before taxes. Idk how you’d be able to build up any material amoint of savings having to support a family of 4 on that much.

Bro, my dad came here illegally. Eventually was granted amnesty and brought my mom, me, and three of my siblings over into a one bedroom apartment. I remember sleeping on sleeping bags in that first apartment. He was the only source of income. Worked his ass off as a construction laborer. I don't remember him ever missing work. He provided all the essentials but nothing past that. We lived within our means and eventually moved into a bigger apartment, then into a house. He had his priorities and finances in order.

Your position in life is, more often than not, a reflection of what you put into it. I don't buy most of these sob stories.

I agree waiving payment is stupid and irresponsible.

But bolded is not as easy as it sounds.

My half brothers own a house in NYC, but they've been wanting to move for quite a while now to avoid the city hustle but some jobs/careers are just hard to find in cheaper cities.

Your brothers aren't really who I'm talking about. They're homeowners in a really expensive market, so that and the fact that their career isn't something you can find just anywhere probably means they're professionals who can live there if they want. I'm talking about low income renters in retail, fast food, blue collar work, etc that stay in really expensive places even though it makes no financial sense to do so.

FkLA
04-02-2020, 01:08 PM

It's a choice to start a family in a really expensive city despite being poor and having no path to homeownership.

It's like the 22 year old single mom, with three kids, and three different baby dads that are out of the picture. Yeah, it's really hard to raise three kids on your own working as a waitress but who the fuck forced you to be a little hoe?

DMC
04-02-2020, 01:10 PM
Look at all the assertions from people who've never done it. There are plenty here who have raised a family and moved out of state with a family based on necessity or opportunity. Let those people speak up. The rest of you whippersnappers pipe down.

DMC
04-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Bro, my dad came here illegally. Eventually was granted amnesty and brought my mom, me, and three of my siblings over into a one bedroom apartment. I remember sleeping on sleeping bags in that first apartment. He was the only source of income. Worked his ass off as a construction laborer. I don't remember him ever missing work. He provided all the essentials but nothing past that. We lived within our means and eventually moved into a bigger apartment, then into a house. He had his priorities and finances in order.

Your position in life is, more often than not, a reflection of what you put into it. I don't buy most of these sob stories.

Your brothers aren't really who I'm talking about. They're homeowners in a really expensive market, so that and the fact that their career isn't something you can find just anywhere probably means they're professionals who can live there if they want. I'm talking about low income renters in retail, fast food, blue collar work, etc that stay in really expensive places even though it makes no financial sense to do so.

Well said

Will Hunting
04-02-2020, 01:14 PM

Your position in life is, more often than not, a reflection of what you put into it. I don't buy most of these sob stories
He worked his ass off and didn’t splurge on shit yet y’all were still packed into an apartment. That’s kinda my point, this is the richest country in the world. If you’re busting your ass and not missing work you should be able to afford beds for your kids.

There’s also plenty of families in the same shoes that are in the process of saving up for a house until they have an unexpected medical emergency that drives them into bankruptcy because of their shitty insurance.

Will Hunting
04-02-2020, 01:17 PM
In terms of finding affordable housing it’s also a lot more difficult now. The first apartment I rented after I graduated from school was $800 a month...the same apartment is going for over $1,200 now. Apartment rent rates have grown at a much higher rate than inflation over the last 10 years.

spurraider21
04-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Look at all the assertions from people who've never done it. There are plenty here who have raised a family and moved out of state with a family based on necessity or opportunity. Let those people speak up. The rest of you whippersnappers pipe down. ElNono (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) and i both moved across the country within roughly the last year or so. he moved to CA, i moved out of CA

i'm not supporting a family beyond my wife and i, but at the same time, we're currently on one income and paying grad school tuition out of pocket

Will Hunting
04-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Regarding this thread though you should pay rent if your income levels haven’t changed from COVID.

FkLA
04-02-2020, 01:25 PM
He worked his ass off and didn’t splurge on shit yet y’all were still packed into an apartment. That’s kinda my point, this is the richest country in the world. If you’re busting your ass and not missing work you should be able to afford beds for your kids.

Well, it was temporary. And a big part of the reason it was that way initially was the thousands he spent in paperwork, attorney fees, hotels while we finalized everything at the border. Thanks to his hard work and discipline things got progressively better.

There’s also plenty of families in the same shoes that are in the process of saving up for a house until they have an unexpected medical emergency that drives them into bankruptcy because of their shitty insurance.

That's fair. There are definitely extenuating circumstances out there. I just don't think that's the norm. Maybe it's anecdotal, but the large majority of poverty I've seen is just a result of a lack of ambition and work ethic.

FkLA
04-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Regarding this thread though you should pay rent if your income levels haven’t changed from COVID.

Even if it has changed, if you have the reserves (like most responsible adults do) you should pay it, imo.

Will Hunting
04-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Even if it has changed, if you have the reserves (like most responsible adults do) you should pay it, imo.
Yeah sorry that’s what I meant.

spurraider21
04-02-2020, 01:35 PM
absolutely

spurraider21
04-02-2020, 01:36 PM
but landlords need to recognize that a lot of people renting dont have much reserves (else they'd be homeowners), and what limited reserves may be available are going to be prioritized for food and utilities.

landlords arent exempt from the financial crisis

Will Hunting
04-02-2020, 01:41 PM
but landlords need to recognize that a lot of people renting dont have much reserves (else they'd be homeowners), and what limited reserves may be available are going to be prioritized for food and utilities.

Fannie and Freddie rolled out a program yesterday where all multifamily landlords with Fannien or Freddie debt can defer 3 months of debt service payments in exchange for agreeing not to evict any residents until December 21 (potentially later depending on whether the crisis is still going on), and A LOT of them are going to take that offer. There’s going to be plenty of rent relief.

apalisoc_9
04-02-2020, 01:43 PM

US sounds pretty bad scrah.

I haven't met anyone here who isn't paid during this pandemic. But the amount of stupid people trying to defer all payments while still getting paid the same amount before is hilariously high. I get if you wanted to defer one or two payments in case companies stop paying but all is just ridiculous.

Chucho
04-02-2020, 01:46 PM
In terms of finding affordable housing it’s also a lot more difficult now. The first apartment I rented after I graduated from school was $800 a month...the same apartment is going for over $1,200 now. Apartment rent rates have grown at a much higher rate than inflation over the last 10 years.

Yeah, I saw that Tweet about the person unable to pay a $450 or so rent. Where in the hell do you live to get 1990's rents like that? If not, then it's Section 8.

Housing is through the roof. We're very fortunate our landlord is an old widow who doesn't care to raise the rent whatsoever. I know for a fact she could easily get $400-$500 a month more with the way things have rocketed here the past 5 years.

spurraider21
04-02-2020, 01:50 PM

I haven't met anyone here who isn't paid during this pandemic. But the amount of stupid people trying to defer all payments while still getting paid the same amount before is hilariously high. I get if you wanted to defer one or two payments in case companies stop paying but all is just ridiculous.
cant say the same

Xevious
04-02-2020, 01:53 PM
That's fair. There are definitely extenuating circumstances out there. I just don't think that's the norm. Maybe it's anecdotal, but the large majority of poverty I've seen is just a result of a lack of ambition and work ethic.
While I agree with much of what you're saying, people truly in poverty aren't the ones irresponsible and deeply in debt IMO. You might make an argument for lack of ambition though. The middle class are the ones that have no idea how to handle money. People don't need to eat out, drive new cars, get the latest phones, take vacations, etc to live comfortably. And kids don't need to be enrolled in a dozen expensive sports/activities to thrive. It's perfectly possible to raise a family on 60k and retire with a nest egg. It may not be very fun, but you do what you have to do instead of acting entitled and spending money on shit you can't afford.

Trill Clinton
04-02-2020, 01:55 PM

I agree

Its the norm bruh. 40% of Americans don't have $400 in savings in case of an emergency. You probably have neighbors who go to work every single day and only have $50 in savings in the bank. Living paycheck to paycheck is the norm and its not just the westside hoodrats who are in this predicament.

Xevious
04-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Its the norm bruh. 40% of Americans don't have $400 in savings in case of an emergency. You probably have neighbors who go to work every single day and only have $50 in savings in the bank. Living paycheck to paycheck is the norm and its not just the westside hoodrats who are in this predicament.
Don't have $50 in the bank, but have a $500 car payment. That is the norm.

apalisoc_9
04-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Don't have $50 in the bank, but have a $500 car payment. That is the norm.

yeah..Not very foreign in canada either.

60k family income

Mortage of 2k a month with 3 cars totalling 600 dollars a month payments. With Other bills and stuff....They're always borrowing from credit card and that CC debt just going up and up with interest.

DMC
04-02-2020, 02:49 PM
ElNono (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) and i both moved across the country within roughly the last year or so. he moved to CA, i moved out of CA

i'm not supporting a family beyond my wife and i, but at the same time, we're currently on one income and paying grad school tuition out of pocket

:hat

DMC
04-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Yeah but 2,000 in Canadian dollars is like what 250 in US?

MannyIsGod
04-02-2020, 03:01 PM
The bottom line is that people have to work with each other. Landlords shouldn't be charging late fees to people in a really tough situation right now. I just find that disgusting.

We rent from a person who owns a bunch of homes in our town. We paid on time because our income is unaffected so far. We're not trying to impact our landlord who also has to pay mortgages and bills of their own. But I would hope she wouldn't screw us if we were in a tough spot.

Why do some people have such a hard time working together?

boutons_deux
04-02-2020, 03:12 PM

follow the money, plenty of price gouging now, will get worse

Ms of evictions, cars, houses repossessed

ElNono
04-02-2020, 03:14 PM
It's a choice to start a family in a really expensive city despite being poor and having no path to homeownership.

It's like the 22 year old single mom, with three kids, and three different baby dads that are out of the picture. Yeah, it's really hard to raise three kids on your own working as a waitress but who the fuck forced you to be a little hoe?

This is all generalization... people sometimes don't want to be in this loop of being in a place where they can't advance their career, or provide something better, and at the same time, they're stuck in it for a period of time due to innumerable reasons (having family and support around, job availability, training, etc).

Plus, we don't live forever, sometimes you have one shot at something, and sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss. Circumstances also change. Sometimes the economy isn't that great, and you have a family to support, so you have to thread lightly when making economic decisions that impact that.

When you're young and single, a lot of times that doesn't matter at all. When you have additional responsibilities, and you have to make decisions in a consensual manner, it's a different level of complexity. I mean, families brake apart for some of these decisions.

And yeah, I also came to the US with a bag on my shoulder, and not much more, but while I made it through and moved up, and I could probably do it again, that's not the place I want to be again, especially with a family now, and I work hard so that doesn't happen.

spurraider21
04-02-2020, 03:20 PM
:hat
ignoring an awful lot of context there

Chucho
04-02-2020, 03:35 PM
The bottom line is that people have to work with each other. Landlords shouldn't be charging late fees to people in a really tough situation right now. I just find that disgusting.

We rent from a person who owns a bunch of homes in our town. We paid on time because our income is unaffected so far. We're not trying to impact our landlord who also has to pay mortgages and bills of their own. But I would hope she wouldn't screw us if we were in a tough spot.

We live in a divisive and prideful society where compromise is nearly impossible.

What's the saying? A good compromise leaves both parties upset? People with the mentality of "fuck my landlord, they evil" are stuck there.

With the endless fear mongering of the media, lack of concrete and long-term security from the government and the realization setting in, they feel victimized tho it's no fault of the landlord so they lack the perspective of "oh shit, this dude is in the same situation as me" let alone the realization the landlord has far more to lose.

Blake
04-02-2020, 03:51 PM

I haven't met anyone here who isn't paid during this pandemic.

Yeah I'm losing money here.

Blake
04-02-2020, 03:54 PM

If we could properly answer that we'd all have no problem getting toilet paper and hand sanitizer

midnightpulp
04-02-2020, 05:00 PM

It has to do with that dysfunctional part of the American psyche that believes your successes and failures are yours alone. I like individualism, but we fetishize it to a pathological degree and think every person is an island unto themselves who is fully responsible for their successes and failures, i.e. "the bootstrap myth." And this is probably why Liberals and Conservatives will never, ever see eye-to-eye (especially when it comes to taxation and social programs). The former doesn't completely discount individual effort, but also recognizes that the playing field isn't "equal opportunity" for all. If you took two identical people with the same innate traits and abilities, and raised one in a Detroit ghetto and the other in an upper-class household in Grosse Point, the latter case has a huge head start on their path to achieving the "American Dream."

Conservatives think everything can just be willed into existence through hard work and "personal responsibility." Factors like luck, nepotism, cronyism, etc don't exist in their world.

hater
04-02-2020, 05:19 PM
I aint even gonna txt my tenants if they miss one or even 2 payments tbqh

I did text them to check on them and make sure they are ok but thats it

but if this shit goes over 3 months then they gotta have damn good excuses

apalisoc_9
04-02-2020, 05:26 PM
It has to do with that dysfunctional part of the American psyche that believes your successes and failures are yours alone. I like individualism, but we fetishize it to a pathological degree and think every person is an island unto themselves who is fully responsible for their successes and failures, i.e. "the bootstrap myth." And this is probably why Liberals and Conservatives will never, ever see eye-to-eye (especially when it comes to taxation and social programs). The former doesn't completely discount individual effort, but also recognizes that the playing field isn't "equal opportunity" for all. If you took two identical people with the same innate traits and abilities, and raised one in a Detroit ghetto and the other in an upper-class household in Grosse Point, the latter case has a huge head start on their path to achieving the "American Dream."

Conservatives think everything can just be willed into existence through hard work and "personal responsibility." Factors like luck, nepotism, cronyism, etc don't exist in their world.

:tu

I've worked with fags who think their "success" is purely because of their "Smarts" and "skills" while being completely incompetent. Shit, people don't even hire/promote based off merits. You see Indians only hiring Indians in whatever Indian field etc.

slick'81
04-02-2020, 05:35 PM
I aint even gonna txt my tenants if they miss one or even 2 payments tbqh

I did text them to check on them and make sure they are ok but thats it

but if this shit goes over 3 months then they gotta have damn good excuses

compassionate af hate

ElNono
04-02-2020, 07:49 PM
With the endless fear mongering of the media, lack of concrete and long-term security from the government and the realization setting in, they feel victimized tho it's no fault of the landlord so they lack the perspective of "oh shit, this dude is in the same situation as me" let alone the realization the landlord has far more to lose.

How so? I'm not saying landlords can't be victims, but they do at least own a property they can sell for a solid chunk if shit hits the fan.

Chinook
04-02-2020, 08:32 PM

Shit yeah, especially in Austin. When I was in Philly for college, my studio apartment right off campus was $700 a month, and I was annoyed because that was a good apartment in Austin. By the time I graduated, $700 was a studio in a bad part of town. In just three or four years, the rent doubled. Income didn't double. You go from being able to support yourself working 30 hours a week while going to school to working full time, going to night classes and having no savings (though tuition plays a part there too). It's not that you decided you needed a new iPhone every month. It's that rich fuckers who have nothing to do with you decided Austin was a great place to live and started moving in and driving up property values.

Obviously the reasons way more complicated than it just being shitty landlords. A lot of them felt the property-value pinch even more than renters. Renters shouldn't act entitled to live where they want and not pay for it. But the desperation to paint millennials struggles as being their own faults ridiculous. I wish millennials wouldn't feed into it with movements like this.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2020, 08:37 PM

Don't disagree with this at all. No one does it alone.

FkLA
04-02-2020, 08:47 PM

No I know, it's also the east and south side hoodrats too. They have their iphones and fresh Jordans though.

If you took two identical people with the same innate traits and abilities, and raised one in a Detroit ghetto and the other in an upper-class household in Grosse Point, the latter case has a huge head start on their path to achieving the "American Dream."

The American Dream is relative though. You don't have to get a fancy degree or climb the corporate ladder to achieve it. I'd argue my dad achieved it considering where he started and it was all through hard, manual labor.

Outside of the really expensive markets, becoming a homeowner is really not that hard. Just takes a little bit of work.

diego
04-02-2020, 09:24 PM
yeah..Not very foreign in canada either.

60k family income

Mortage of 2k a month with 3 cars totalling 600 dollars a month payments. With Other bills and stuff....They're always borrowing from credit card and that CC debt just going up and up with interest.

I don't remember him ever missing work.

Good thing there weren't any global pandemics then, it would have been tough to do construction work from home, as will be the case for anyone following your dad's footsteps right now...

I know lots of people who are struggling to pay rent right now (not the US), most of them aren't young people living beyond their means, they are business owners with families who are on the hook for tuition despite their children not being in class, salaries despite workers not being able to work, and having to pay rent on properties with their businesses shut down, with no end in sight

It's so annoying when people use their success story to dismiss other people's problems. Also, landlords can go fuck themselves, and I say that as someone who owns multiple properties. Land ownership is the cornerstone of all economic injustice

ChumpDumper
04-02-2020, 09:55 PM
Trump is asking for rent deferral from Palm Beach County.:lol

Blake
04-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Trump is asking for rent deferral from Palm Beach County.:lol

Meanwhile I'm betting Jared isn't being so nice to his tenants

Nbadan
04-02-2020, 10:28 PM
What good are apts/homes unleased? How much the landlords gonna get then? They talking 10%,20% even as much as 30% unemployment. You know that equity you thought you had in your house....gone....landlords as well as everyone else is gonna have to get used to the new American economic reality. For right now, it's just service industry workers, but soon, when they can't pay their insurance, or rent, or taxes,... it will be everyone else.

Nbadan
04-02-2020, 10:32 PM
We can all go down this dark abyss together, or, finance companies, banks, and leasing companies can bite the big one and give everyone 3 months no rent. Pretty simple choice from where I'm looking.

FkLA
04-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Good thing there weren't any global pandemics then, it would have been tough to do construction work from home, as will be the case for anyone following your dad's footsteps right now...

He would've been fine. It would've had to have been a perfect storm to really knock him off his feet. Right timing (when he first brought us over and his reserves were depleted), denied unemployment, denied employment elsewhere, etc. Either way, it would've only delayed what he accomplished not stopped it.

How many of these "I'm not paying today and I'm not making it up either" losers can you honestly say were on a good path before the pandemic?

I know lots of people who are struggling to pay rent right now (not the US), most of them aren't young people living beyond their means, they are business owners with families who are on the hook for tuition despite their children not being in class, salaries despite workers not being able to work, and having to pay rent on properties with their businesses shut down, with no end in sight

Not the people I'm referring to. There will obviously be productive members of society that are legitimately affected by this. The people you described would fall in that category, imo.

It's so annoying when people use their success story to dismiss other people's problems. Also, landlords can go fuck themselves, and I say that as someone who owns multiple properties. Land ownership is the cornerstone of all economic injustice

It's also annoying when we act like every person at the bottom of the totem pole is a victim that just fell on hard times through no fault of their own.

Landlords don't create the demand for housing. They just provide the supply. If everyone just carried their own weight, there'd be a lot less opportunities for landlords.

Blake
04-03-2020, 03:45 AM
We can all go down this dark abyss together, or, finance companies, banks, and leasing companies can bite the big one and give everyone 3 months no rent. Pretty simple choice from where I'm looking.

Lol there's no way anyone's giving away 3 months rent. Especially the insured banks.

Blake
04-03-2020, 03:47 AM
He would've been fine. It would've had to have been a perfect storm to really knock him off his feet. Right timing (when he first brought us over and his reserves were depleted), denied unemployment, denied employment elsewhere, etc. Either way, it would've only delayed what he accomplished not stopped it.

How many of these "I'm not paying today and I'm not making it up either" losers can you honestly say were on a good path before the pandemic?

Not the people I'm referring to. There will obviously be productive members of society that are legitimately affected by this. The people you described would fall in that category, imo.

It's also annoying when we act like every person at the bottom of the totem pole is a victim that just fell on hard times through no fault of their own.

Landlords don't create the demand for housing. They just provide the supply. If everyone just carried their own weight, there'd be a lot less opportunities for landlords.

Oh cool. Anecdotes.

boutons_deux
04-03-2020, 07:38 AM

the oligarchy never does SHIT for anybody but themselves, and they are busy buying Congress to protect/enrich their Capital, and the Fed is owned and operated by BigFinance

2001 tax cut scam, 2009 bailout, 2017 tax scam, 2020 whatever the fuck they do, Wall st will get bailed out with $Ts AGAIN!, and Wall streeters will get one month's rent

DMC
04-03-2020, 07:57 AM
ignoring an awful lot of context there

Moving around as two adults is completely different than moving around as two adults with children.

DMC
04-03-2020, 08:00 AM
Aren't they the same entities you think should be paying 90% income tax?

Mark Celibate
04-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Respect for your old man and his work ethic, but there's always luck involved with everybody's situation. Like Will Hunting said, all it takes is some medical emergency to completely wipe out any progress an up and coming family has worked for. Also, there's luck involved when a pandemic, depression, recession, etc is avoided but also when you get into a certain industry at the right time.

Oil and gas is a perfect example. I know many boomers were petroleum engineers and geologists who worked hard and are very well off financially. Retired, put all their kids through good colleges, etc. However, millenials who started in that same field in the early 2010's are probably not doing so well. You had the major downturn in 2014 and now this one which was arguably worse. That's years of lost income regardless of what happens next even if they have the drive to be successful in another field.

spurraider21
04-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Moving around as two adults is completely different than moving around as two adults with children.
Yeah. Makes it even more difficult. Which was my point that you can’t just pick up and leave

FkLA
04-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Oh cool. Anecdotes.

Works both ways. Theres no evidence that proves every person struggling is a hard working small business owner or that they fell on hard times due to a medical emergency.

Respect for your old man and his work ethic, but there's always luck involved with everybody's situation. Like Will Hunting said, all it takes is some medical emergency to completely wipe out any progress an up and coming family has worked for. Also, there's luck involved when a pandemic, depression, recession, etc is avoided but also when you get into a certain industry at the right time.

Oil and gas is a perfect example. I know many boomers were petroleum engineers and geologists who worked hard and are very well off financially. Retired, put all their kids through good colleges, etc. However, millenials who started in that same field in the early 2010's are probably not doing so well. You had the major downturn in 2014 and now this one which was arguably worse. That's years of lost income regardless of what happens next even if they have the drive to be successful in another field.

What percentage of the poor/struggling are in their predicament because of those unique situations though? And what percentage because they lack ambition, financial discipline, and work ethic?

Will Hunting
04-03-2020, 11:52 AM
^Mark Celibates example is a lot less anecdotal than yours. He’s talking about an entire industry that’s historically employed hundreds of thousands of people in stable jobs.

Chucho
04-03-2020, 12:01 PM
How so? I'm not saying landlords can't be victims, but they do at least own a property they can sell for a solid chunk if shit hits the fan.

It's fair to say it could be very had to move a home in this coming market. And if you can, it's also fair to say you might lose a pretty penny on it.

But, the basic gist is a lot of landlords can lose their properties and their tenants.

Small time landlords are SMBs and they're gonna get killed. A lot of the small time landlords give people chances that property management companies just don't. You lose a lot of those landlords, you make it even harder for a lot of low and middle classers that don't meet stringent application criteria to find nice homes/properties that private landlords offer.

FkLA
04-03-2020, 12:01 PM
^Mark Celibates example is a lot less anecdotal than yours. He’s talking about an entire industry that’s historically employed hundreds of thousands of people in stable jobs.

Sure, but not all of them failed to secure a job in their field and not all of them failed to make it work somewhere else. It's still a small percentage in the grand scheme of things.

Chucho
04-03-2020, 12:06 PM
I mean, shit, it happened to our last landlord. They had their home and we rented their other. Never a problem for two years, we even upgraded the property on our dime because we like curb appeal. She even made a lot of upgrades over the two years.

Then shit hit the fan for her and she lost her home so we got the boot while my wife is 7 months pregnant because they had no where to turn. We got 30 days, I told them we're taking our 60 days.

Worked out for us, we moved to the only acceptable part of the Central Valley, home is 2.5k sq ft and our rent is $400-$800 below market right now and the widower has no intentions of every raising it. But the prior scenario can and will play out for a lot of people.

DMC
04-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Yeah. Makes it even more difficult. Which was my point that you can’t just pick up and leave
Then what were you arguing about?

spurraider21
04-03-2020, 03:11 PM
Then what were you arguing about?
I was talking about the complications of moving out of state, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't have the additional complication of kids.

I don't know why you made a stink of it as if my opinion was invalid unless I had kids, when that would only exacerbate the exact thing I was talking about.

DMC
04-03-2020, 03:18 PM
I was talking about the complications of moving out of state, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't have the additional complication of kids.

I don't know why you made a stink of it as if my opinion was invalid unless I had kids, when that would only exacerbate the exact thing I was talking about.

I wasn't necessary talking to you but you found some reason to disagree with it and then basically agreed with what I said that you don't have any kids. It's not that hard to move out of state with kids. You pick up and go, people did it for years. My family moved all the time. I was at the same school three different times growing up and everywhere in between. Sure if you're concerned about their friends or some dance class they're going to or something like that that's one thing but survival is quite different. Most people, especially these days, have no idea what bare survival is. They can't even imagine going without television for a week.

ElNono
04-03-2020, 03:25 PM
It's fair to say it could be very had to move a home in this coming market. And if you can, it's also fair to say you might lose a pretty penny on it.

But, the basic gist is a lot of landlords can lose their properties and their tenants.

Small time landlords are SMBs and they're gonna get killed. A lot of the small time landlords give people chances that property management companies just don't. You lose a lot of those landlords, you make it even harder for a lot of low and middle classers that don't meet stringent application criteria to find nice homes/properties that private landlords offer.

Losing a pretty penny means you're still getting money back in, unless you're so leveraged on that property, which I have to question whose fault that really is?

Sorry, but the notion that landlords can ever be in a shittier situation than the renters, at least in the vast majority of times, doesn't add up to me.

Mark Celibate
04-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Works both ways. Theres no evidence that proves every person struggling is a hard working small business owner or that they fell on hard times due to a medical emergency.

What percentage of the poor/struggling are in their predicament because of those unique situations though? And what percentage because they lack ambition, financial discipline, and work ethic?

I'm not arguing exact percentages here, but bad luck happens to hard working people often enough to where you can't just dismiss it. My point is that you seem to over-generalize it with your anecdotal story about how your dad worked really hard and that's the reason he's at where he's at today without factoring in good fortune into it. Good fortune doesn't have to mean rich parents, it can mean a variety of other things (timing, health, personal black swan events, state of your particular industry, etc).

spurraider21
04-03-2020, 03:38 PM
I wasn't necessary talking to you but you found some reason to disagree with it and then basically agreed with what I said that you don't have any kids. It's not that hard to move out of state with kids. You pick up and go, people did it for years. My family moved all the time. I was at the same school three different times growing up and everywhere in between. Sure if you're concerned about their friends or some dance class they're going to or something like that that's one thing but survival is quite different. Most people, especially these days, have no idea what bare survival is. They can't even imagine going without television for a week.
im not even sure what you are talking about at this point.

you were whining about whippersnappers who have never done it talking about moving out of state. i said that i had moved out of state within the last year, but without kids, and that there were enough complications/expenses associated with that, that i can infer it would only be more burdensome with kids

DMC
04-03-2020, 11:29 PM
Look at all the assertions from people who've never done it. There are plenty here who have raised a family and moved out of state with a family based on necessity or opportunity. Let those people speak up. The rest of you whippersnappers pipe down.

im not even sure what you are talking about at this point.

you were whining about whippersnappers who have never done it talking about moving out of state. i said that i had moved out of state within the last year, but without kids, and that there were enough complications/expenses associated with that, that i can infer it would only be more burdensome with kids

Read again, Philo. I was talking about moving out of state while raising a family. You and your wife don't constitute "raising a family". I know you want to shoehorn yourself into the conversation but sometimes you should just shut the fuck up, if you can.

spurraider21
04-04-2020, 02:27 AM
Read again, Philo. I was talking about moving out of state while raising a family. You and your wife don't constitute "raising a family". I know you want to shoehorn yourself into the conversation but sometimes you should just shut the fuck up, if you can.
:lol so pissy

if moving without kids can have expenses and complications then those would only be amplified with kids

DMC
04-04-2020, 11:59 AM
:lol so pissy

if moving without kids can have expenses and complications then those would only be amplified with kids

Obviously your speculation trumps experience.

pgardn
04-04-2020, 12:02 PM

In other words, he manages a mobile home park.

FkLA
04-04-2020, 01:21 PM
In other words, he manages a mobile home park.

Not very sexy to say you own a mobile home park but they're actually really great investments. You're practically just renting out the land so you dont have to deal with repairs like you do apartments/houses.

Will Hunting
04-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Not very sexy to say you own a mobile home park but they're actually really great investments. You're practically just renting out the land so you dont have to deal with repairs like you do apartments/houses.
Yep, my goal in life is to save up enough to buy a mobile home park :lol

Youre just renting land out and can aggressively jack rents ever year since double wide/triple wide trailers cost between $5k and $10k to move after they’ve settled (IOW the residents have no other options since they can’t afford to move)

spurraider21
04-04-2020, 01:56 PM
Obviously your speculation trumps experience.
Yeah. I’m speculating that adding kids to the picture would only increase complications and expense.

Silly me :lol

picnroll
04-04-2020, 01:58 PM

Youre just renting land out and can aggressively jack rents ever year since double wide/triple wide trailers cost between $5k and $10k to move after they’ve settled (IOW the residents have no other options since they can’t afford to move)

You’re going to gave a lot of tenants when this is over.

Thread
04-04-2020, 02:03 PM
You’re going to gave a lot of tenants when this is over.

Ya ass smootcher, you.

DMC
04-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Yeah. I’m speculating that adding kids to the picture would only increase complications and expense.

Silly me :lol

Exactly.

DMC
04-04-2020, 04:34 PM

And many of them ducked out on their last "contract".

spurraider21
04-04-2020, 05:12 PM
Exactly.
Ok

ChumpDumper
04-04-2020, 05:17 PM
:lol DMC lashing out at someone agreeing with him

pgardn
04-04-2020, 06:57 PM

It depends what the taxes on the property are.
Also, insurance.

Anything else I should add?

Besides the fact I said manages.

Blake
04-05-2020, 01:40 AM
Also, insurance.

Plumbing

Will Hunting
04-05-2020, 08:10 AM
Also, insurance.

You need premises liability insurance but substantially no property needs to be insured.

Real estate taxes would be dirt cheap because there’s no property improvements.

Utilities can be passed down to the residents.

Theres basically no expenses to pay beyond taxes insurance and debt service payments.

Spurtacular
04-11-2020, 01:34 AM
https://news.yahoo.com/wuhan-rent-protest-shows-unrest-045209779.html

Blake
04-11-2020, 12:33 PM
You need premises liability insurance but substantially no property needs to be insured.

Theres basically no expenses to pay beyond taxes insurance and debt service payments.

Dunno about the property improvement part. I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure Bexar County here would count a mobile home as improvement

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Dunno about the property improvement part. I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure Bexar County here would count a mobile home as improvement
If you’re doing it right you don’t own the mobile home, you only own the land that the mobile home owner is renting.

Blake
04-11-2020, 02:11 PM
If you’re doing it right you don’t own the mobile home, you only own the land that the mobile home owner is renting.

Right, but that doesn't discount there being an improvement on the property per county tax records

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Right, but that doesn't discount there being an improvement on the property per county tax records
Are you saying a landlord is going to pay taxes on tenant’s property? That’s retarded.

Blake
04-11-2020, 05:50 PM
Are you saying a landlord is going to pay taxes on tenant’s property? That’s retarded.

I'm saying that after looking at my county tax records, I'm getting taxed on my 100sqft outdoor portable shed I bought at Home Depot.

Tell you what, I know of about 3 mobile home parks in SA. I'll look up address and give link. I'd bet my shed they count the mobile home as a property improvement.

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 06:27 PM
I'm saying that after looking at my county tax records, I'm getting taxed on my 100sqft outdoor portable shed I bought at Home Depot.

Tell you what, I know of about 3 mobile home parks in SA. I'll look up address and give link. I'd bet my shed they count the mobile home as a property improvement.
You own the shed you’re getting taxed on so that’s a retarded comparison.

If the mobile home park owner owns the mobile homes themselves then sure they’d get taxed on it. The fact you might be able to find a few instances where that happens doesn’t disprove my point.

Are you really struggling to grasp the concept of paying taxes on property you own vs. property you don’t own?

Blake
04-11-2020, 06:31 PM
You own the shed you’re getting taxed on so that’s a retarded comparison.

If the mobile home park owner owns the mobile homes themselves then sure they’d get taxed on it. The fact you might be able to find a few instances where that happens doesn’t disprove my point.

Are you really struggling to grasp the concept of paying taxes on property you own vs. property you don’t own?

Relax, bruh. There are a ton of properties in town where the land and buildings on the land are owned by two different entities.

You said "property improvement". I'll get it for you, just give me a sec.

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Here ya go dummy:

https://www.mhomebuyers.com/do-mobile-home-owners-pay-property-tax/

In general, mobile homes on leased land or in mobile home parks classify as personal property regardless of their construction or size. Even if the owner of the land were related to the owner of the mobile home, it would still qualify as personal property. Unless the owner of the land is the owner of the mobile home, then it cannot be real property.

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 06:34 PM
Relax, bruh.

You said "property improvement". I'll get it for you, just give me a sec.
Here comes a goal post move where you act like the mere fact a mobile home owner has to pay taxes on his/her mobile home somehow disproves my point.

Blake
04-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Here ya go dummy:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Dude :lol

This shit is actually in my wheelhouse.

Do you not understand that personal property sitting on top of real property can be taxed?

Blake
04-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Here comes a goal post move where you act like the mere fact a mobile home owner has to pay taxes on his/her mobile home somehow disproves my point.

You already moved the goal post a while back

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Dude :lol

This shit is actually in my wheelhouse.

Do you not understand that personal property sitting on top of real property can be taxed?
And sure enough there’s the goal post move.

Yes, I’m well aware that personal property is taxed. What I don’t understand is how a mobile home owner on leased land having to pay personal property taxes somehow disproves my point about the land owner only needing to pay taxes on the land and not the mobile home itself.

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 06:38 PM
You already moved the goal post a while back
Elaborate.

Blake
04-11-2020, 06:44 PM

This is your original claim. This is false.

You gonna go full derptacular here or do you really want more info on this?

Tbh, I've no clue about how mobile homes and the land are taxed myself, but I know for a fact without looking still that they're considered improvements.

I'm gonna look it up now because I'm curious. If you're curious too, I'll send you a property search link that I find.

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 06:48 PM
This is your original claim. This is false.

You gonna go full derptacular here or do you really want more info on this?

Tbh, I've no clue about how mobile homes and the land are taxed myself, but I know for a fact without looking still that they're considered improvements.

I'm gonna look it up because I'm curious. If you're curious too, I'll send you a property search link that I find.
Jesus Christ are you really going to take the post out of context and pretend I was literally saying there’s no improvements at all rather than saying there’s no improvements that the landowner is taxed on? Congrats if that’s the case.

The entire point of the post was about expenses the land owner is and isn’t responsible for, which is correct. There aren’t going to be property improvements assessed on a mobile home park owner’s tax bill if the owner doesn’t own any of the improvements.

Blake
04-11-2020, 06:49 PM
Here ya go dummy:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is also in your link:

"However, if there is any property that can go from being personal property to real property and back again, it’s a mobile home.

Not every mobile home is considered real property...."

Implying: "it depends"

Blake
04-11-2020, 06:49 PM
Jesus Christ are you really going to take the post out of context and pretend I was literally saying there’s no improvements at all rather than saying there’s no improvements that the landowner is taxed on? Congrats if that’s the case.

The entire point of the post was about expenses the land owner is and isn’t responsible for, which is correct. There aren’t going to be property improvements assessed on a mobile home park owner’s tax bill if the owner doesn’t own any of the improvements.

"It depends"

I'm not gonna imply anything from a general statement like "there's no property improvement with a mobile home". That's for you to clarify if I call it out

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 06:50 PM
This is also in your link:

"However, if there is any property that can go from being personal property to real property and back again, it’s a mobile home.

Not every mobile home is considered real property...."

Implying: "it depends"
Right dumbass, it depends on whether or not the mobile home owner is also the landowner, which is literally what I’ve said this whole time.

apalisoc_9
04-11-2020, 06:55 PM
Scrah no rent striker here, but my Fiance just got a notice that her rent will increase during the pandemic by about 20%

Might have to go on a rent strike

Blake
04-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Right dumbass, it depends on whether or not the mobile home owner is also the landowner, which is literally what I’ve said this whole time.

"However, when it comes to manufactured housing, who pays the property tax can vary based on state and local laws.

If you own your manufactured home but do not own the land that it is on, the responsibility of the land taxes may vary."

https://www.claytonhomes.com/studio/property-taxes-and-manufactured-homes/

Keep going though. :tu

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 07:02 PM
"However, when it comes to manufactured housing, who pays the property tax can vary based on state and local laws.

If you own your manufactured home but do not own the land that it is on, the responsibility of the land taxes may vary."

https://www.claytonhomes.com/studio/property-taxes-and-manufactured-homes/

Keep going though. :tu
The land tax has nothing to do with what we’re talking about, I’ve said all along that landlord is paying that. Youre just flinging shit at the wall at this point.

Millennial_Messiah
04-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Scrah no rent striker here, but my Fiance just got a notice that her rent will increase during the pandemic by about 20%

That's illegal, unless you're talking about a lease renewal. But landlords in the USA cannot arbitrarily increase the price of rent during the contract period.

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 07:15 PM
"It depends"

I'm not gonna imply anything from a general statement like "there's no property improvement with a mobile home". That's for you to clarify if I call it out
The direct quote was “real estate taxes would be dirt cheap because there’s no property improvements”. Any person who didn’t eat paint chips as a child would be able to interpret that sentence to mean taxes are cheap because you’re not paying them on any improvements, not to mean there literally are no improvements.

”There’s no property improvements with a mobile home” is something you literally just made up.

apalisoc_9
04-11-2020, 07:17 PM
That's illegal, unless you're talking about a lease renewal. But landlords in the USA cannot arbitrarily increase the price of rent during the contract period.

Canada scrah.

I'm not very familiar with rent and property laws. I just pay them whenever. It's not like my payments have increased dramatically in the last 10 years...

I was reading today though that rent increase is illegal from April 1 to May 31 so she's pissed because the letter says the rent will increase in july 1 and iirc her lease ends in August.

Not sure honestly, but if it is for renewal kinda crazy how some leases are expected to increase rent by 30% during the pandemic.

Blake
04-11-2020, 07:19 PM
The land tax has nothing to do with what we’re talking about, I’ve said all along that landlord is paying that. Youre just flinging shit at the wall at this point.

So we're basically on the same page on the taxes, you just want to get pissy because I called you out on property improvement.

Great conversation, dickhole. :tu

Will Hunting
04-11-2020, 07:21 PM
So we're basically on the same page on the taxes, you just want to get pissy because I called you out on property improvement.

Great conversation, dickhole. :tu
My original quote was about taxes and that’s all this was ever about, the physical existence of property improvements was a strawman argument you jumped to after losing the argument on taxes that you’re now admitting I’m right about.

Chad.
04-11-2020, 07:37 PM

Most of the time, no since the apartment is likely to be rent-controlled. They must state it in the lease. I've never heard of it happening other than if the landlord petitions local rent-control boards due to an increase in building costs or something like that. Month to month is different, however, they can increase but have to give you a certain amount of notice. 30 days in the standard in the US, but no idea about Canada

Canada scrah.

I'm not very familiar with rent and property laws. I just pay them whenever. It's not like my payments have increased dramatically in the last 10 years...

I was reading today though that rent increase is illegal from April 1 to May 31 so she's pissed because the letter says the rent will increase in july 1 and iirc her lease ends in August.

Not sure honestly, but if it is for renewal kinda crazy how some leases are expected to increase rent by 30% during the pandemic.

Perhaps they're losing tenants due to the pandemic and trying to squeeze the lost money out of the current tenants' wallets

Blake
04-11-2020, 07:49 PM

My original quote was about taxes and that’s all this was ever about, the physical existence of property improvements was a strawman argument you jumped to after losing the argument on taxes that you’re now admitting I’m right about.

I admitted you were right about the taxes pretty much right off the bat.

Just not about the property improvement.

http://www.bcad.org/clientdb/Property.aspx?cid=1&prop_id=750369

If you want to stay excitable about it feel free. I was hoping to have a discussion about an issue I'm not familiar with, but whatever, dickhole. I'm out. :tu

boutons_deux
04-11-2020, 08:02 PM
CORONAVIRUS HASN’T STOPPED JARED KUSHNER’S REAL ESTATE EMPIRE FROM

HOUNDING TENANTS WITH DEBT COLLECTION, EVICTION LAWSUITS

Well into the coronavirus crisis, which has led to skyrocketing unemployment,

court records show properties owned by Kushner Companies are still filing new eviction lawsuits.

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/04/jared-kushner-real-estate-company-evictions/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The%20Intercept%20Newsletter (https://theintercept.com/2020/04/04/jared-kushner-real-estate-company-evictions/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The%20Intercept%20Newsletter)

Millennial_Messiah
04-11-2020, 09:44 PM
Most of the time, no since the apartment is likely to be rent-controlled. They must state it in the lease. I've never heard of it happening other than if the landlord petitions local rent-control boards due to an increase in building costs or something like that. Month to month is different, however, they can increase but have to give you a certain amount of notice. 30 days in the standard in the US, but no idea about Canada

Right I wasn't assuming month to month. Standard apartment leases are 6, 9, 12 or 15 months in the USA. Can't really find month to month except on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace etc and in that case, all bets are off because the "lease" is informal and the landlord can charge whatever.

ElNono
04-11-2020, 10:00 PM

Perhaps they're losing tenants due to the pandemic and trying to squeeze the lost money out of the current tenants' wallets

sup chad, how's brad?

Chad.
04-12-2020, 01:41 PM
sup chad, how's brad?

sup brah?

Just mentoring my fellow Brad in hopes to get him into Chad status by the time the quarantine is over. To ascend the 8 steps to Chadvana and become peak Chad, you must be selfless and altruistic for those soon-to-be Chads among us

Chucho
04-13-2020, 12:52 PM

So...you live off your Fiance?

apalisoc_9
04-13-2020, 01:58 PM
So...you live off your Fiance?

I am Muslim. I won't live with a woman until we are officially married.