PDA

View Full Version : Remember The Blowout

SenorSpur
11-05-2005, 11:41 AM
As much as a Spurs/Mavs game is usually highlighted with drama, intrigue and intensity, do remember that the last meeting between the two teams was quite the opposite. Instead of the usual competitive, nail biter we are used to seeing, the Mavs "blew the Spurs doors off" in what became a 30+ point blowout victory.

Also remember that March blowout came during the time in which Tim was out with that very severe ankle injury. Devin was also out with a bad back. The Mavs were clicking on all cylinders and the Spurs struggled to keep pace. The outcome was never in doubt and the game was basically over by halftime. I believe at one time, the lead swelled to 45 points.

I was in attendance to witness the Mavs "clown" the Spurs in that game with a variety of fancy passes, dunks and tongue-wagging. Yes, Mavs fever was running at all-time high. I meekly left at the start of the 4th quarter.

I'll be in attendance again representing Spurs nation and proudly wearing the black and silver. I'm sure we all expect a much different outcome.

Leetonidas
11-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Amen! This time it's different. Tim is there, Fin is coming home, Nick is going back to Dallas, and Tony has improved.

Tim >>>>>>>>> Dirk
Tony > Jason Terry
Manu > Daniels
Rasho = Dampier
Bowen > Christie

Spurs bench > Mavs Bench

Pop > Avery

caŽlo
11-05-2005, 11:58 AM
revenge will be sweet.

lets get this on!

velik_m
11-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Rasho > Dampier

drmuffs
11-05-2005, 12:32 PM
At least we got the rings. (and Finley too) :spin

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Personally I think we should let Finley shoot until his arm falls off.

He could score a hundred tonight, this one will be personal.

Ishta
11-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I've got 3 words.....Kill the Mavs
Go Spurs Go :smokin

Sense
11-05-2005, 01:32 PM
What fuckin blowout... how do you consider that last game a blowout without Manu and Tim?

sa_butta
11-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Personally I think we should let Finley shoot until his arm falls off.

He could score a hundred tonight, this one will be personal.I can think of 52 million reasons why Finley should go off tonight.

SenorSpur
11-05-2005, 01:52 PM
What fuckin blowout... how do you consider that last game a blowout without Manu and Tim?

Obviously we were short-handed, however the Mavs (and their faithful) celebrated as though they had won the NBA championship.

Bottom line the game was a blowout and wasn't competitive at all.

Of course, I expect us to "smoke their asses" tonight. The icing on the cake would be for Finley to "rain threes" and have an otherwise awesome performance.

ZStomp
11-05-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm surprised Mouse hasn't come in here talking his smack about his Mavs just to rile the peeps in here.

loveforthegame
11-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I remember visiting the Dallas boards after that blowout win to see what they were saying. They were celebrating like they won the championship. How embarrassing for them. Looking at one of the boards this morning have many predicting they'll take care of the Spurs tonight as well. They also predict Finley will have a bad game. Or hoping he does anyway.

Brutalis
11-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah I was suprised to not see that mentioned.

Anyone could have clowned us without Tim and Manu last year.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah I was suprised to not see that mentioned.

Anyone could have clowned us without Tim and Manu last year.
True, but there's only one team and bandwagon that actually would.

Shiner Bock Girl
11-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Amen! This time it's different. Tim is there, Fin is coming home, Nick is going back to Dallas, and Tony has improved.

Tim >>>>>>>>> Dirk
Tony > Jason Terry
Manu > Daniels
Rasho = Dampier
Bowen > Christie

Spurs bench > Mavs Bench

Pop > Avery

Not to mention how they were still trying to adjust playing without Tim. Mav's caught them at their weakest moment, but never again. I'm sure the guys have that game branded in their heads, so they will come out ready to fight. Finely has been looking forward to this game so i believe he's going to be really focused. YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey was Manu playing in that game???? I can't remember. I know Tim and Manu were held out one game together but not sure it was the Mav's.

SenorSpur
11-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Not to mention how they were still trying to adjust playing without Tim. Mav's caught them at their weakest moment, but never again. I'm sure the guys have that game branded in their heads, so they will come out ready to fight. Finely has been looking forward to this game so i believe he's going to be really focused. YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey was Manu playing in that game???? I can't remember. I know Tim and Manu were held out one game together but not sure it was the Mav's.

Manu did play, though he was clearly not at full strength. In fact, Pop pulled him late in the 3rd quarter due to the outcome.

Mavs<Spurs
11-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Look, we all know who the better team is.

When Tim played, what was our record against them?

It was 3-0. The Mavs might not even make the playoffs. Erick, "the best center in the west" Dampier is a sorry player. They have no post game whatsoever. We have 3 championships, they have none. There is no rivalry until they start to actually become competitive with us when our team is at full strength. So, who cares what that hasbeen Stackhouse says. Keith Van Horn is weak, indecisive. Josh Howard is a punk.
Now, they don't play offense or defense well.

If we just play our normal game, we should win pretty easily.

boutons
11-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I haven't seen much Spurs intensity, esp early minutes, in the first two games. Spurs fell behind early or stayed close and were basically in a even game at the halves.

I'd like to see some serious Spurs bball early and a comfortable, definitive lead at the half. I doubt if the Spurs are thinking payback for the blowout in Dallas last spring.

3-0 would look really great. Boston gave Pistons a tight game, and Wizards can be tough at home (Spurs lost @WAS last season).

Mavs<Spurs
11-05-2005, 07:32 PM
What is the spread on the game? Is it Spurs by 15 or is it the Spurs by 20?

Will it be respectable (like Denver) or will we bury them like Cleveland?

From the standpoint of a person who is analyzing the game and predicting the outcome, it's pretty obvious who should and will win. So the only interesting question is by how much will we win. Now, Cleveland is a vastly superior team to the Mavericks. However, we are playing at their place.

Mavs<Spurs
11-05-2005, 07:33 PM
I haven't seen much Spurs intensity, esp early minutes, in the first two games. Spurs fell behind early or stayed close and were basically in a even game at the halves.

I'd like to see some serious Spurs bball early and a comfortable, definitive lead at the half. I doubt if the Spurs are thinking payback for the blowout in Dallas last spring.

3-0 would look really great. Boston gave Pistons a tight game, and Wizards can be tough at home (Spurs lost @WAS last season).

What? Did you not watch the last game? The score was 11-2 Spurs. That's a reasonably good beginning.

spurs=bling
11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Remember no Tim or Manu in that game.

Mavs<Spurs
11-05-2005, 07:51 PM

Warning: digression on Pistons follows

I don't care what anybody says, the Pistons offense is overrated. What happened was that everybody started talking about how underrated their offense is so that they actually started to overrate it.

Their offense is not nearly as good as ours (at least last year). Now, maybe Flip can improve it. It is not that the talent is absent. They have players with skills. Chauncey is clearly a very good point guard. Rasheed can be a great post player. At times, he can hit the three. Teyshaun has made improvements in his game. Hamilton has the best mid range shot in the game today. McDyess can be a very good player who can certainly put points on the board. They are a great free throw shooting team.

The problem is they go through these droughts (like we used to).
Rasheed does not give them consistent production although he has the talent to. Also, he does not consistently rebound well. Although Ben Wallace is working on his offensive game, he still is not an effective offensive player. Teyshaun still does not have anything on offense that he really does well at. He can post a little, but he is small and therefore can struggle to get good post position. On the other hand, he is not a great outside shooter either. McDyess, despite his ability, has had injury issues.

Bottom line, I consider them a below average offensive team because of a lack of consistent production.

I will say that with their length and athletic ability, they can be the best defensive team in the league and are at least as good as we are on defense.
If Flip improves their offense (they have sufficient talent) so that their players are consistently productive while retaining their defense, they could potentially beat us and would definitely give us a tough, hard fought series.