PDA

View Full Version : NBA Insider: 2003 Free Agent Watch (7/17)

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 03:54 PM
2003 NBA Free Agent Watch

By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Tuesday, June 17
Updated: July 17
11:12 AM ET

Updated July 17 With 14 of the top 20 free agents now off the market, it's time to bring in 14 replacements -- the "B" team if you will -- to supplement Insider's free agent watch.

Here's Insider's latest look at who's going where . . .

*&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Also see: Updated Depth Charts

Complete 2003 free agent list
Key: (R) = restricted free agent

1. Gilbert Arenas, PG, Warriors (R)
In the mix? Wizards, Clippers, Warriors, Nuggets, Jazz
Outlook: Areans flew to D.C. on Wednesday to meet for a second time with GM Ernie Grunfeld and coach Eddie Jordan. With the extra cap money, the Wizards could offer Arenas a deal starting at $8 million a season. The Clippers claim they're also in the mix -- but will they be willing to spend enough to keep him. It probably won't take as much as Washington's offering -- Arenas would love to play in L.A.
Insider Prediction: It looks like Arenas is bolting the Warriors -- will it be Washington or L.A.? Given the Clips history, you have to make the Wizards the favorites.

2. Lamar Odom, SF, Clippers (R)
In the mix? Heat, Nuggets, Spurs, Clippers
Outlook: The Sun Sentinel reported that if the Clippers match the offer for Brand, the Heat may quickly turn around and give Odom an offer sheet hoping that the Clippers, after spending big money to re-sign Brand, can't afford Odom. However, the L.A. Times is reporting today that the Clippers have contacted Odom on their own and want to re-sign him. Odom is also drawing interest from the Nuggets and Spurs. Both teams still have a lot of cap space to use. Odom would be a great fit in San Antonio because of his ability to play multiple positions on the floor.
Insider Prediction: Depends on what Miami does. If the Heat don't make an offer, Odom may re-up with the Clips if the offer is good and Brand and Maggette are back in the fold.

3. Brad Miller, C, Pacers
In the mix? Pacers, Jazz, Nuggets
Outlook: Miller will visit Denver and Utah in the next few days. Miller has been unhappy with the Pacers' initial contract offer and is trying to find more money somewhere else. Both the Nuggets and Jazz have enough money left to give Miller a big pay raise. However, Miller's friend, Jermaine O'Neal, said he expected Miller to re-sign in Indiana. "He really wants to come back," O'Neal said. "We have a good tandem."
Insider Prediction: The Pacers keep the other Miller home.

4. Richard Hamilton, SG, Pistons (R)
In the mix? Pistons, Spurs
Outlook: He had a big year in Detroit, meaning that the Pistons are trapped in the same dilemma they faced with Jerry Stackhouse. They really want to re-sign him, but what is he worth? ESPN.com reported Wednesday night that Hamilton was on the verge of a seven-year, $62 million deal.
Insider Prediction: Hamilton keeps ripping the nets in Detroit.

5. Jason Terry, SG, Hawks (R)
In the mix? Hawks, Nuggets, Sonics
Outlook: 6-foot-2 shooting guard anyone? Anyone?
Insider Prediction: The Hawks drafted a big point guard in Boris Diaw so they can afford to keep Terry around as a bargain.

6. Speedy Claxton, PG, Spurs
In the mix? Pistons, Pacers, Wizards, Jazz, Nuggets, Knicks
Outlook: His heroic play in Game 6 of the NBA Finals will earn him a lot of cash. Size will be an issue, but with so many teams clamoring for a point guard, he'll land on his feet somewhere. The Pistons and Pacers appear to be the most aggressive right now. However, the Jazz and Nugget may come offering more money if the Clippers start matching offer sheets
Insider Prediction: The Pistons and Pacers look like frontrunners.

7. Scottie Pippen, SF, Blazers
In the mix? Bulls, Lakers, Grizzlies, Spurs, Mavs, Blazers
Outlook: It seems like Scottie Pippen isn't convinced that he should end his career in Chicago. He reportedly has discussed deals with the Grizzlies, Mavs and Spurs despite the fact that the Bulls reportedly offered him their full mid-level exception. Pippen talked with Grizz owner Michael Heisley on Wednesday.
Insider Prediction: If Pippen wants another championship, San Antonio or L.A. are the best bets -- but he'll have to take less.

8. Elden Campbell, C, Sonics
In the mix? Knicks, Mavs, Sixers
Outlook: He had a down year last season, but Campbell is one of the few legit centers left. The Knicks and Sixers are especially desperate for size and Campbell may be the only guy left on the board who can make any sort of real impact this year.
Insider Prediction: The Sixers look like frontrunners.

9. Reggie Miller, SG, Pacers
In the mix? Pacers, Spurs, Lakers
Outlook: It's hard to fathom a situation where the Pacers don't re-sign Miller. Then again, Karl Malone and Gary Payton bolted for less money and a chance to win a ring; would Miller do the same?
Insider Prediction: The Pacers should be able to keep him around.

10. Robert Horry, PF, Lakers
In the mix? Mavs, Spurs, Lakers, Jazz
Outlook: The Mavs are pondering a multi-year offer to Robert Horry, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. The Mavericks, San Antonio, Utah and the Lakers are in the hunt for Horry, although he said he hasn't yet received any offers. "San Antonio wants me to wait until Monday, and Dallas is trying to figure things out," said Horry. "I'm not in any hurry. I can wait."
Insider Prediction: Someone's got to take Mark Cuban's money, right?

11. Stephen Jackson, SF, Spurs (R)
In the mix? Spurs
Outlook: The Spurs have given every indication that they're going to lock him up. But at what price?
Insider Prediction: Jackson should return to the Alamo.

12. James Posey, SG, Rockets (R)
In the mix? Rockets, T-Wolves, Bulls
Outlook: The Rockets can afford to hold out on Posey right now. They don't want to spend too much money right now and risk incurring the luxury tax. Until someone makes him an offer, expect the Rockets to play a little low ball. The Wolves have interest, but they used up their mid-level exception to sign Michael Olowokandi. Would the Rockets, who are a little strapped for cash, agree to a sign-and-trade with Minnesota for Brandon's contract?
Insider Prediction: Posey sticks in Houston.

13. Eric Piatkowski, SG, Clippers
In the mix? Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, Cavs
Outlook: Piatkowski claims he won't be back with the Clips this season. Piatkowski has been talking with the Rockets and Cavs. "We've come to the realization that I won't be back with the Clippers," Piatkowski told the L.A. Daily News. "I thought it might be nice to finish my career in Los Angeles, but the franchise hasn't had contact with us. It is obvious that they're not interested, and so we'll move on."
Insider Prediction: Piatkowski would be a perfect fit on the Lakers. But just about everyone else can pay him more money. Will he sharp shoot for the Spurs next season?

14. Ognjen Askrabic, PF, Yugoslavia
In the mix? Mavs, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, Sonics
Outlook: He's the top young free agent in Europe right now. Askrabic is the top player in the Yugoslavian league. His inside-outside game is very impressive -- he's got great range on his jumper and is tough as nails in the paint. However, he's a bit undersized to play the four and lacks the quickness to guard threes.
Insider Prediction: The Mavs have shown interest for years, but it could be the Jazz who actually land him. He could have a Gordan Giricek-type impact his rookie season.

15. Derrick Coleman, PF, Sixers
In the mix? Sixers, Pistons
Outlook: The Sixers have begun to negotiate with Coleman over a new contract, but they're not going to break the bank for him. Larry Brown would love to add him to the mix in Detroit, but Joe Dumars' desire to keep a positive atmosphere may stop that from happening.
Insider Prediction: The Sixers give Coleman a pay cut.

16. Darrell Armstrong, PG, Magic
In the mix? Wizards, Warriors, Hawks, Magic
Outlook: Those are the four teams his agent claims are in the mix. With the Magic looking hard at Tyronn Lue, his days in Orlando could be numbered.
Insider Prediction: He'd be a solid fit in Washington if the team can't land Arenas or Speedy Claxton.

17. Jumaine Jones, SF, Cavs (R)
In the mix? Spurs, Sonics, Wizards, T-Wolves
Outlook: Jones is proably a little underrated. He's a poor man's Robert Horry and should find some sort of club to stick with.
Insider Prediction: The Sonics could use more size and he'd probably come cheap.

18. Tyronn Lue, PG, Wizards
In the mix? Magic, Nuggets
Outlook: He's been in heavy talks with both clubs. It appears both teams are just waiting for him to make a decision.
Insider Prediction: The Magic will give Lue a clearer shot at a starting job, but the Nuggets will offer more money.

19. Antonio Daniels, PG, Blazers
In the mix? Magic, Wizards, Jazz, Cavs
Outlook: He has the size, but he really doesn't possess the playmaking skills. It appears that the Magic want him if Tyronn Lue won't play for the $1.5 million exception.
Insider Prediction: If Lue goes for the money, it appears that Orlando is the place.

20. Kenny Anderson, PG, Hornets
In the mix? ???
Outlook: He may still have personality issues, but Anderson is still a top talent. He'll land somewhere, the question is where?
Insider Prediction: Someone looking for a veteran point, think Miami, might give him a shot.

Best of the Rest: (in order by team) Dion Glover, SG, Hawks; DerMarr Johnson, SG, Hawks; Donnell Harvey, PF, Nuggets; Jon Barry, SG, Pistons; Earl Boykins, PG, Warriors; Travis Best, PG, Heat; LaPhonso Ellis, SF, Heat; Tyrone Hill, PF, Sixers; Scott Williams, C, Suns; Jim Jackson, SF, Kings; Stephen Jackson, SF, Spurs; Predrag Drobnjak, PF, Sonics; Rafer Alston, PG, Raptors; Voshon Lenard, SG, Raptors

Off the market (* = deal reportedly agreed to, but unsigned)

Jermaine O'Neal, Pacers: 7 years, $126 million
Tim Duncan, Spurs: 7 years, $122 million
Jason Kidd, Nets: 6 years, $103 million*
Elton Brand, offer sheet with Heat: 6 years, $82.2 million
Andre Miller, offer sheet with Nuggets: 6 years, $51 million
Kenny Thomas, Sixers: 7 years, $50 million
Corey Maggette, offer sheet with Jazz: 6 years, $45 million
Rasho Nesterovic, Spurs: 6 years, $45 million*
P. J. Brown, Hornets: 4 years, $34 million
Juwan Howard, Magic: 5 years, $28 million
Michael Olowokandi, T-Wolves: 3 years, $16.2 million
Kevin Ollie, Cavs: 5 years, $14 million*
Gary Payton, Lakers: 2 years, $10.4 million
Brian Skinner, Bucks: 3 years, $5 million*
Jake Voskuhl, Suns: 3 years, $5 million
Karl Malone, Lakers: 2 years, $3.1 million
Erick Strickland, Bucks: 2 years, $3.1 million
Mark Blount, Celtics: 2 years, ??
Jerome Moiso, Raptors: ?
Milt Palacio, Raptors: ?
Amal McCaskil, Sixers: ?

:cooldevil

ducks
07-17-2003, 04:03 PM
steve smith getting no love

junglespur
07-17-2003, 04:05 PM
new and interesting...

Has anyone heard about this Askrabic guy ?

9. Reggie Miller, SG, Pacers
In the mix? Pacers, Spurs, Lakers
Outlook: It's hard to fathom a situation where the Pacers don't re-sign Miller. Then again, Karl Malone and Gary Payton bolted for less money and a chance to win a ring; would Miller do the same?
Insider Prediction: The Pacers should be able to keep him around.

Outlook: He's the top young free agent in Europe right now. Askrabic is the top player in the Yugoslavian league. His inside-outside game is very impressive -- he's got great range on his jumper and is tough as nails in the paint. However, he's a bit undersized to play the four and lacks the quickness to guard threes.
Insider Prediction: The Mavs have shown interest for years, but it could be the Jazz who actually land him. He could have a Gordan Giricek-type impact his rookie season.

17. Jumaine Jones, SF, Cavs (R)
In the mix? Spurs, Sonics, Wizards, T-Wolves
Outlook: Jones is proably a little underrated. He's a poor man's Robert Horry and should find some sort of club to stick with.
Insider Prediction: The Sonics could use more size and he'd probably come cheap.

scott
07-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Are we really interested in all these people, or is "Spurs" a synonym for "the team with cap room we threw in the mix to make it look like we have more content"?

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 04:11 PM
I have heard of the Spurs' interest in RMiller, but I haven't heard about Jones or the other guy. (But that doesn't mean the interest isn't there).

junglespur
07-17-2003, 04:15 PM
kori, do you think pippen or RMiller would be better ? For the sake of argument, throw in Pike and Jumaine Jones as well. I assume they would cost approx the same (maybe a bit more for Pippen actually). They all play about the same position (2/3) except Pippen can swing to the 1 and Jumaine is pretty much only a 3. Pippen is the best defender, but RMiller and Pike are clearly better shooters.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Dang!

http://www.pacificsites.com/~drhoades/graphics/anidumbo.gif

Reggie Miller a SPUR?

spurster
07-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Maybe Reggie could join the Lakers to fill the last starting position on the HOF team.

timvp
07-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Reggie Miller as a Spur could be pretty deadly.

Jumaine Jones is an athlete who would improve depth.

The Euro kid is a good talent and could be a surprisingly good addition

Piatkowski is destined to be a Spur.

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 04:36 PM
kori, do you think pippen or RMiller would be better ?

I am probably too biased to answer this. Reggie is one of my all-time favorites -- we went to UCLA at the same time (yes, I'm that old). And I have always disliked Pippen. But at this point, I think the Spurs have had more talks with Pippen. Reggie was on their target list at one point though.

I have heard of them targeting Horry, Pippen, RMiller, TMorris, Armstrong, Glover, Piatkowski and Devin Brown to possibly make the roster.

This list might have grown or been decreased by now. But as of two days ago, these were the role players they were looking toward.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 04:38 PM
I would love Miller on the Spurs, but I don't think we'd invest the time and effort into duplicating Indiana's screen-setting techniques to spring him open.

Piatkowski? Good player but no real need for him with Jack and Manu.

Jermaine Jones is intriguing.

We need a PG.

timvp
07-17-2003, 04:40 PM
We need a PG.

See: Armstrong, Darrell

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 04:45 PM
See: Anderson,Kenny

ducks
07-17-2003, 04:47 PM
intersting

just need the argentine coach and the spurs will be a team from another country

junglespur
07-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Kori, I would love to have Reggie's offense (incredible clutch 3pt shooter, superb coming off screens, can create his own shot) for a boost when the Spurs get into one of their late-game, can't-buy-a-basket dry spells... Think Steve Kerr-type big-shot impact, with a much broader offensive arsenal.

But as I think about it, I wonder how RMiller would fit in defensively in such situations. Bowen seems to be the guy that Pop likes to take out at the end of close games when the offense is struggling. We saw the Manu at the 2 and SJax at the 3 lineup a lot in those scenarios. In particular, Pop seems to really want Manu in at the end of games (incredible defensive spark, ability to get to the hoop, clutch 3pt shooting, and very high b-ball IQ).

The problem I'm getting to is that a lineup with both Manu and Reggie at the 2 and 3 spots seems pretty suspect defensively against any average-sized or larger opposing SF. Neither of those guys has the length that Bowen or SJax (or Pippen) have. So I'm a bit stuck.

Would love to get Reggie, but can't seem to figure out how it would work...

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Well RC said something at the press conference yesterday about adding another wing.

Something like, it's hard to figure out whether to add another one when we have a great 3-man rotation (Manu, Jack, Bowen) already.

So I am thinking if they do pick up another wing, he won't see many minutes.

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Pippen is a wing,

if he came he wouldnt get any minutes???

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
TPark, I said MANY not ANY.

He might get 15 minutes or so. I am just passing on what RC said.

mrcoon
07-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Well, If Pip came, since he can play 1-3 I believe he would see some minutes and great insurance if someone was injured, of course. He's old and prone to injury but if not played intensely would be there in the end for the play-offs. I'd love to have Reggie with the second unit and actually run all those helter skelter picks for him. That would be incredible to actually see some motion on the floor. :elephant

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 05:19 PM
gotcha Kori,

I would expect 15 or 20 mins a game from Scottie.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 05:41 PM
15-20 minutes from Scottie means 4 minutes less a game from our guys like Bowen, Manu, Jack and Parker.

grjr
07-17-2003, 06:06 PM
We need a point guard.

See: Speedy, Speedy

Hey, he ain't gonna be starting on any of the teams he's looking at. Why not stay here?

jr