PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my TV??

Summers
11-05-2005, 03:49 PM
If anyone knows anything about electronics, please help me! As much as I'd love an excuse to have to buy a new (bigger) TV, we really can't afford it.

We have digital cable with the signal in a straight line from the wall to the cable box, to the DVD burner (to the S-video converter box because we don't have an S-video TV) to the TV. So, for the past few days the TV has been randomly flickering off and showing nothing but static. The first couple times I thought it was the cable, so I rebooted the cable box, but I now realize the cable box doesn't seem to be the problem, because if the cable box is turned off or if the cable isn't working, we should still be able to watch a DVD. But when it's going staticky, the DVD player shows that it's playing (the counter is moving) but the screen is still static. Also, this morning, when it just flickered off for about 15 seconds and came back on the show I'd been watching from my DVR recorded list was still playing. If it were an issue involving the cable box, wouldn't it reset the cable box?

So, I called Time Warner tech support to see if they had any ideas and he said it could be the TV or one of the cables. I think if it were a cable, it would either be the one from the DVD player to the converter box or from the converter box to the TV, because if it were one of the others, I'd still be able to watch DVDs, right? So, I changed both of those cables out with some spare coaxial cables adn that didn't solve the problem.

But here's what I don't understand (because I really don't know anything about how TVs work). When it's staticky, if I change the channel or volume on the TV, the little green volume/channel indicators show up fine (over the static of course). Does this make sense to anyone? Is it possible the TV isn't receiving the cable signal, but the green indicators are supplied separately, like internally and digitally? If this is the case, can I just take it somewhere and have them replace some attachment or wiring?

Oh, and the other thing is why is it going static randomly? It's not a gradual sucky picture that gets worse until I just can't see it. It goes from crystal clear to black static, and then back again to a perfect picture. The static has been lasting anywhere from a few seconds to up to half an hour. Does that mean anything?

CoolArrow
11-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Its possible that you have a connection problem at your coax plug (where you plug in your cable). Or, it could be further down that path in one of the electronic modules (don't know what's in your "old" T.V.). If its a connector problem, then it should be simple to fix. If you need a module replaced then it will probably cost as much or more than a new T.V.

A word of warning though...unless you know your repairman well, he may try to rob you blind as the repair business is not much of a money making venture these days with new sets costing so little. Good luck.

Vashner
11-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Welcome to Time Warner.. home of unreliable service..
You have to call them and they will send someone out...

Summers
11-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the advice, y'all. Arrow, can you recommend anyone?

helwardman
11-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Give me $1000 of your vbookie cash and I'll tell you how to fix it :lol

CoolArrow
11-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the advice, y'all. Arrow, can you recommend anyone?

You're welcome! Sorry though, I don't know any repairmen (repairpersons?). I've worked in electronics long enough to open up my own stuff when it goes bad. Bad thing is, its usually one of the expensive parts that finally goes bad.

Also, I wouldn't recommend opening up a T.V. if you don't know what you're doing. Even if its unplugged, there is some SERIOUS voltage that can be stored in the picture tube. We're talking up to several thousand volts! Of course it won't kill you, but you won't want to play with it anymore. And yes, I have gotten "bit" by that much voltage before. The first few times really suck, but after that you kind of get used to it...maybe even like it...uhhh, never mind. Just don't do it!

Summers
11-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, that settles it. I'm just getting a new TV. :lol

The funny thing is after being gimpy and downright unwatchable all day, it didn't flicker off once during the game. It could probably smell the woman-scorned fury bubbling just under the surface.

Carie
11-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Both of ours do that, but only when we switch channels. Not everytime, but occasionally when we try and tune in to a new channel it'll stay 'blank' for a while before turning on. The only thing we can find that helps is to switch channels again and then come back. We need to have TW out here, but have to pick up first :lol

Summers
11-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Both of ours do that, but only when we switch channels. Not everytime, but occasionally when we try and tune in to a new channel it'll stay 'blank' for a while before turning on. The only thing we can find that helps is to switch channels again and then come back. We need to have TW out here, but have to pick up first :lol

This doesn't seem to be related to anything we're doing. It's completely random. I think whatever was in the process of petering out has petered out. We're getting no picture at all today. Anyone want to sell me a decent TV for cheap? :)

Also... we swapped out the TV for the little 12" spare TV and it worked, so it's the big TV that's busted. Anyone want to buy it for repair/parts/whatever for... I dunno... forty bucks?