PDA

View Full Version : Raptors: Good documentary on the 07-08 Rckets TBH (the 22 straight wins team)

lefty
04-06-2020, 02:45 PM
:wow Forgot how stacked the West was back then tbh

Also : Scola trade :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5dOAyuG4Tw&t=2301s

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Skipped right into it. :lol At Scola having to deal with NBA's fake fouls.

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 06:27 PM
Rick Adelman good system coach; but he sucks at making adjustments in the playoffs.

lefty
04-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Skipped right into it. :lol At Scola having to deal with NBA's fake fouls.
Euro leagues had refs that “let them play”
So much for European being “softer” than American players :lol

Rick Adelman good system coach; but he sucks at making adjustments in the playoffs.

Super coach but as you said not great at playoff adjustments

Phil Jackson was scared of him though :

Game 7 almost happened in 92
Kings should have won in 01
Pushes the Lakers to a game 7 in 2009 with a bunch of scrubs, even had the guts to kick Von Wafer out of a game at Staples during the series

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 07:15 PM

Been too long. I forgot he was Portland's coach. Yea, Portland kinda choked. I'm sure Dad Killer was getting all the right calls though.

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 07:18 PM
Watching Artest; good in 07-08. What a douche taking that paycut to go to LA to ring chase. Dude saved Kobe's legacy just as much as the retarded Gasol trade.

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 07:29 PM
China force Yao to shut it down to play in the Olympics?

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 07:36 PM
"Three games out of the one seed and two games out of the nine seed" :lol

lefty
04-06-2020, 09:45 PM
Been too long. I forgot he was Portland's coach. Yea, Portland kinda choked. I'm sure Dad Killer was getting all the right calls though.

That and got bailed out by MVPippen and the bench in game 6

Mark Celibate
04-06-2020, 09:45 PM
Seemed like either McGrady or Yao was always injured. But even then I think if they had both remained healthy, their ceiling was probably a competitive loss in the WCF in the five year window between 05-10 tbh. They were never better than the Pau/Kobe Lakers, and would not have survived the Spurs/Suns/Mavs buzzsaw the years prior

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Seemed like either McGrady or Yao was always injured. But even then I think if they had both remained healthy, their ceiling was probably a competitive loss in the WCF in the five year window between 05-10 tbh. They were never better than the Pau/Kobe Lakers, and would not have survived the Spurs/Suns/Mavs buzzsaw the years prior

In 08 they were arguably better, before Artest went pansy mode and signed with the Lakers for jack sh** money.

daslicer
04-06-2020, 11:34 PM
Watching Artest; good in 07-08. What a douche taking that paycut to go to LA to ring chase. Dude saved Kobe's legacy just as much as the retarded Gasol trade.

From what I recall Artest was like a toxic asset. Nobody in the league wanted to touch him especially after that story that came out about what he did prior to game 7 of the Rox vs Laker series. Artest missed the team bus and arrived on a separate bus only to be dressed up in underwear. What made matters worse was the team owner was on the same bus Artest was on.

I view the Lakers getting Artest much like Bulls getting Rodman. In both cases both teams lucked out getting a talented malcontent that nobody else wanted.

Spurtacular
04-06-2020, 11:37 PM
From what I recall Artest was like a toxic asset. Nobody in the league wanted to touch him especially after that story that came out about what he did prior to game 7 of the Rox vs Laker series. Artest missed the team bus and arrived on a separate bus only to be dressed up in underwear. What made matters worse was the team owner was on the same bus Artest was on.

I view the Lakers getting Artest much like Bulls getting Rodman. In both cases both teams lucked out getting a talented malcontent that nobody else wanted.

Interesting. But dude was basically a max player who took the min to ring chase.

daslicer
04-06-2020, 11:59 PM
Interesting. But dude was basically a max player who took the min to ring chase.

The problem was nobody wanted him except for the Lakers due to his bad track record. That's why he had to take less money. There was no team out there that wanted him. The Lakers saved him from being out of the league. It sucked that he was talented and the Lakers had the luxury of taking a risk on him while other teams weren't willing to do so. Trust me I despised Artest and even more when the Lakers signed him because I knew he was going to be allowed to get away with more stuff on the defensive end due to being a Laker.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 12:04 AM
The problem was nobody wanted him except for the Lakers due to his bad track record. That's why he had to take less money. There was no team out there that wanted him. The Lakers saved him from being out of the league. It sucked that he was talented and the Lakers had the luxury of taking a risk on him while other teams weren't willing to do so. Trust me I despised Artest and even more when the Lakers signed him because I knew he was going to be allowed to get away with more stuff on the defensive end due to being a Laker.

:lol You surely don't believe that?

FrostKing
04-07-2020, 12:13 AM
'91 Blazers had the most wins at 63. In 92 they were on the downturn. East was superior in early 90s

daslicer
04-07-2020, 12:15 AM

Nope it's actually the truth. I remember following FA closely during that off season. Artest had flamed out in Indiana,Sacramento, and then Houston. The underwear story pretty much scared teams away from him along with the fact that he had flamed out badly on all of teams he had previously played for. He had type of reputation JR Rider had picked up towards the end of his career. There was no team that wanted him it was similar to Spurs situation with Rodman in the summer of '95. Lakers historically have been a team that's willing to take risks on talented malcontents. They took chances on both Rodman,Rider,Cousins.

daslicer
04-07-2020, 12:17 AM

Here's also a link to underwear story.

https://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2009/07/crazy-ron-artest-the-underwear-warrior/

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 12:28 AM
Nope it's actually the truth. I remember following FA closely during that off season. Artest had flamed out in Indiana,Sacramento, and then Houston. The underwear story pretty much scared teams away from him along with the fact that he had flamed out badly on all of teams he had previously played for. He had type of reputation JR Rider had picked up towards the end of his career. There was no team that wanted him it was similar to Spurs situation with Rodman in the summer of '95. Lakers historically have been a team that's willing to take risks on talented malcontents. They took chances on both Rodman,Rider,Cousins.

I guess you contention is plausible. But to me he was still a borderline elite two-way player. Maybe the hi jinx took his value down some; but I'd have to believe many teams were still interested.

daslicer
04-07-2020, 12:53 AM
I guess you contention is plausible. But to me he was still a borderline elite two-way player. Maybe the hi jinx took his value down some; but I'd have to believe many teams were still interested.

His reputation was badly damaged. He had the malice on the palace on his record to deal with, plus the way he went out with Kings, and then Rockets flame out. When you screw up that many times it catches up to you. You can only get away with that type of stuff when you are a superstar talent. From what I do remember now is that teams were not willing to offer a long term contract while the Lakers were.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 12:59 AM
His reputation was badly damaged. He had the malice on the palace on his record to deal with, plus the way he went out with Kings, and then Rockets flame out. When you screw up that many times it catches up to you. You can only get away with that type of stuff when you are a superstar talent. From what I do remember now is that teams were not willing to offer a long term contract while the Lakers were.

I think that's the cover story that you were sold on. Artest probably got side deals to come to LA for that jack sh** contract. Plenty of teams were interested. Malice At The Palace was in the rearview mirror. NBA drilled it into him that he was banned forever if that happened again.

daslicer
04-07-2020, 01:16 AM
I think that's the cover story that you were sold on. Artest probably got side deals to come to LA for that jack sh** contract. Plenty of teams were interested. Malice At The Palace was in the rearview mirror. NBA drilled it into him that he was banned forever if that happened again.

How is it a cover story when it's a fact teams didn't try to pursue him. Go research it in your spare time and see who were other teams that went after him in summer of '09. Like I said before championship teams always benefit from being able to take risks on talented malcontents. Look at a guy like JR Smith. Nobody wanted him but the Cavs and that was because of Lebron. Just like nobody wanted Dennis Rodman except for Chicago in the summer of '95. Even after '98 the only team that wanted Rodman was the Lakers.

It wasn't just the malice and palace incident that scared teams away from Artest but it was the fact that he quit on every team he had played on. He asked out of Indiana despite them having his back during the malice and palace situation. He got in trouble in Sactown when he got arrested for domestic abuse and asked to be traded. He then quit on the Rox in that game 7 and had that underwear incident. All those things came into play into destroying his rep. How many teams are going to want take a risk on a guy whose mentally unstable and can't be counted on not to get in trouble along with playing out their contract. Like I said that crap only works when you are a superstar player not when you are just a good player.

Malone and Payton going to the Lakers actually pissed me off more than Artest because they had options and didn't have to go there. In their case I do believe LA paid them money underneath the table to go there.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 01:27 AM
How is it a cover story when it's a fact teams didn't try to pursue him.

:lol Yea, it's a "fact"

daslicer
04-07-2020, 01:28 AM
:lol Yea, it's a "fact"

Well go prove me wrong.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 01:37 AM
Just like nobody wanted Dennis Rodman except for Chicago in the summer of '95. Even after '98 the only team that wanted Rodman was the Lakers.

That's the media selling papers (clicks), bro. Teams wanted Rodman.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 01:38 AM
Well go prove me wrong.

Not about that. Trust what your sense.

daslicer
04-07-2020, 01:40 AM

You have lost me. You sound like a conspiracy theory nutcase.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 01:42 AM
Here's also a link to underwear story.

https://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2009/07/crazy-ron-artest-the-underwear-warrior/

It's funny; but you're kidding yourself if you think teams are that highfalutin. They want to win. That can easily be chalked up to, 'Remember that time....'

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 01:43 AM
You have lost me. You sound like a conspiracy theory nutcase.

You sound like someone that likes a good buzzword.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 01:45 AM
Rodman and Artest were both beast mode. They had high value. And this idea that nobody was interested; sorry, but you're being suckered.

daslicer
04-07-2020, 01:47 AM
Rodman and Artest were both beast mode. They had high value. And this idea that nobody was interested; sorry, but you're being suckered.

:lol Right that's why nobody signed Rodman after the lockout ended and that he had to literally cry on national TV for the Lakers to sign him.

Spurtacular
04-07-2020, 01:52 AM
:lol Right that's why nobody signed Rodman after the lockout ended and that he had to literally cry on national TV for the Lakers to sign him.

His salary went up every year til the last; but yea, nobody wanted him. :lol

Dirks_Finale
04-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Phil was losing his shit in that Rockets series :lol

Euro leagues had refs that “let them play”
So much for European being “softer” than American players :lol

Super coach but as you said not great at playoff adjustments

Phil Jackson was scared of him though :

Kings should have won in 01
Pushes the Lakers to a game 7 in 2009 with a bunch of scrubs, even had the guts to kick Von Wafer out of a game at Staples during the series

Dirks_Finale
04-10-2020, 06:09 PM
LOL, why did the Spurs get Will Perdue in return, then?

Spurtacular
04-10-2020, 08:02 PM
LOL, why did the Spurs get Will Perdue in return, then?

I'm not arguing the minutia. I'm talking about the larger point.

Spurs letting Rodman go was a huge mistake; or it would've been if they hadn't have ended up getting TD down the line.

lefty
04-10-2020, 10:25 PM
Phil was losing his shit in that Rockets series :lol
:lol yup i remember that

Millennial_Messiah
04-11-2020, 09:16 PM
took a quarantine for me to sit thru all that lol, but yeah that was an incredible streak with McGrady and a bunch of niche role players after Yao went down

second best to the 2003 Spurs who were completely jeckyll and hyde on offense all year long and had a bunch of raw guys and niche role player veteran types around Timmy but managed to win the whole championship.

Millennial_Messiah
04-11-2020, 09:24 PM
There really needs to be a documentary like that made about the 2002-03 Spurs championship season. Yeah I know there was a championship DVD (and I own it), but it doesn't really do that season justice.

How that odd mix of too-young-and-raw and too-old-and-washed guys around Timmy managed to win a championship despite overcoming a stacked West, injuries, all odds and doubters in Robinson's last year when he was essentially old, sore, and minute-managed like Mutombo was in 08.

How that team just *clicked* somehow, someway around the same timeframe as the video in this OP (late Jan/early Feb) and went from a mediocre-ish team straddling the edge of the West playoff picture, to somehow becoming the best in the sport despite not having a top 5 or 10 roster, a team that like no other had hot-cold shooting issues (that didn't go away in the playoffs, either), a team that had failed so hard despite higher expectations in '01 and '02... the '03 Spurs, that chemistry, were special like no other team in history IMO.

FrostKing
04-14-2020, 03:24 PM
There really needs to be a documentary like that made about the 2002-03 Spurs championship season. Yeah I know there was a championship DVD (and I own it), but it doesn't really do that season justice.

How that odd mix of too-young-and-raw and too-old-and-washed guys around Timmy managed to win a championship despite overcoming a stacked West, injuries, all odds and doubters in Robinson's last year when he was essentially old, sore, and minute-managed like Mutombo was in 08.

How that team just *clicked* somehow, someway around the same timeframe as the video in this OP (late Jan/early Feb) and went from a mediocre-ish team straddling the edge of the West playoff picture, to somehow becoming the best in the sport despite not having a top 5 or 10 roster, a team that like no other had hot-cold shooting issues (that didn't go away in the playoffs, either), a team that had failed so hard despite higher expectations in '01 and '02... the '03 Spurs, that chemistry, were special like no other team in history IMO.
2003 was a transition year in the NBA. Only 3 teams won over 50 games (Spurs, Mavs & Kings) and Webber went down in the Playoffs. Pistons didn't have Wallace yet.

Those Nets teams centered on Wing play would be interesting in today's NBA

Millennial_Messiah
04-14-2020, 05:16 PM
2003 was a transition year in the NBA. Only 3 teams won over 50 games (Spurs, Mavs & Kings) and Webber went down in the Playoffs. Pistons didn't have Wallace yet.

Those Nets teams centered on Wing play would be interesting in today's NBA

I would argue that 1999 was the real transition year in the NBA. Since the void left behind by MJ's second and final retirement, the average scoring across the league was a historical worst in terms of both PPG and ORtg (points per possession) so 1999 was the easiest year to win a championship for any team.

Neo.
04-14-2020, 05:19 PM
this documentary was funny in how they went out of their way to take shots at the mavs lol

Spurtacular
04-14-2020, 09:33 PM
this documentary was funny in how they went out of their way to take shots at the mavs lol

Slob always sensitive about his Mavs. :lol

Neo.
04-14-2020, 10:52 PM
Slob always sensitive about his Mavs. :lol

hi spurtacular

FrostKing
04-15-2020, 02:24 AM
https://youtu.be/7DbQ5Euf4zo