PDA

View Full Version : Kahn: Pippen interested in Spurs

junglespur
07-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Kahn: Scottie Pippen wants to go out with one last bang, it appears. It isn't likely he'll stay in Portland, and even though the Bulls are offering him the mid-level exception, he's been flirting with the Spurs of all teams.

IMO, Pippen would provide a nice 6-Championship-Ring veteran crunch time small forward... Pop seemed to prefer to pull Bown in favor of Manu or Jax at the end of tight playoff games (and not just during the Hack-a-Bowen series). Pippen would be perfect as a closer for those kind of situations...

Link (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6483711)

Free-agent notes: Biggest tremors in L.A.
July 16, 2003
By Mike Kahn
SportsLine.com Executive Editor

Less than 24 hours into the new dollars and sense of the 2003-2004 season, the eyes of the NBA are on Los Angeles.

Just after the clock struck midnight, Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak was toasting stars Karl Malone and Gary Payton signing stunningly reasonable contracts in exchange for the opportunity to win a championship or two with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

Across town, the Clippers’ front office and new coach Mike Dunleavy were all ears as center Michael Olowokandi signed a new deal to play center next to Kevin Garnett on the Minnesota Timberwolves, while Andre Miller, Corey Maggette and Elton Brand were busy signing offer sheets that will require the Clippers to come up with about a $180 million commitment to keep all three. And that's not to mention what will happen to their other free agents: Lamar Odom, Eric Piatkowski, Sean Rooks and Cherokee Parks.

The two organizations are polar opposites when it comes to appearances and results, akin to comparing the voices of Luciano Pavarotti and Bob Dylan. They compete at different levels.

Getting knocked out of the playoffs in the second round by eventual champion San Antonio after winning three consecutive titles was a cold slap in the face to the Lakers, who were not about to sit on their hands in the offseason.

Corralling Payton and Malone for what amounts to less $6.5 million combined next season is the biggest steal in the history of NBA free-agency.

"In evaluating our team at the end of last season, we said we needed help in the front court and in the back court," Kupchak said. "With Gary Payton, we've added one of the best guards in the league over the past decade, and with Karl Malone, we've added probably the greatest power forward in the history of the NBA, so we think these signings make us a significantly better team."

Duh is the word to insert here.

On the flip side, the Clippers were the biggest disappointment in the league last season and entered the summer with eight of their 12 players free agents. Olowokandi, unrestricted, is gone to Minnesota beginning at the mid-level exception of $4.91 million. That the salary cap went up to more than $3.5 million to $43.84 million provided a bit of a windfall up front to the free agents who agreed to deals over the past two weeks.

Now owner Donald Sterling and his brain trust must decide what to do about the offer sheets signed by Brand at Miami ($82 million-plus), Maggette at Utah ($45 million) and Miller at Denver ($50 million-plus). Most people believe they'll match Brand and Maggette, letting Miller go. But there are those who wouldn't be shocked if Sterling matched all of them after losing Olowokandi for nothing.

Several sources said Wednesday afternoon that the agents representing the three most visible of the Clippers' "Elusive Eight" free agents have collaborated to orchestrate offer sheets that are unusually front-loaded with cash, which would force Sterling to come up with an extraordinarily large amount of money to retain these players.

One way or another, he has 15 days to decide or the offer sheets become binding contracts for the Heat, Jazz and Nuggets.

"You never know what Donald will do," one source said. "One time, he's penny-pinching, the next time he'll do whatever it takes to keep players he considers to be his. This will be the most interesting test ever for him."

It's hard to believe Dunleavy would have accepted the job as Clippers coach less than a week ago without at least some declaration that he would have more than just a facsimile of the roster from last season. But that's what has always made the Clippers the, uh, Clippers.

"Obviously it's a factor," Dunleavy said. "But I've been assured by the organization that they're going to do the best they can to put us in a position to win. I think the ingredients are here and the will is here and that we'll get it done."

Although the offer sheet Brand signed with the Heat is undoubtedly laden with heavy cash up front considering the $11 million the Heat had to spend under the salary cap, and there reportedly is a trade kicker of several million dollars as well, it's hard to fathom the Clippers will let their All-Star forward walk now.

But that doesn't stop Heat coach and president Pat Riley from contemplating a lineup of Brand, Brian Grant and Caron Butler up front, with Eddie Jones and rookie Dwyane Wade in the backcourt.

"This organization has always been committed to winning," Riley said. "I think over the last eight years we have proven that by bringing in players like Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn, Brian Grant and Eddie Jones. This offer sheet for Elton Brand is a continuance of that commitment to try to win and put the best possible players on the floor for our fans to enjoy."

And if the Clippers do match as expected, the Heat can follow that up with an offer to Odom that the Clippers might not match.

The intrigue and gamesmanship is just gaining some legs here, so let's take a look at the top 12 free-agent moves thus far:

1. Gary Payton and Karl Malone, Los Angeles Lakers. This is almost two weeks old, but it's still stunning to have a pair of Hall of Famers agree to take money far below their market value to play for a chance to win a championship. It will get rocky with only one basketball between them, but when it comes to the playoffs, these guys will be ready, and the Lakers defense will now be suffocating.

2. Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs. There was never any doubt that Duncan would re-sign with the reigning champs. The two-time MVP has agreed to what is likely is close to $125 million over seven years.

3. Jason Kidd, New Jersey Nets. The Spurs tried to lure away the league's best point guard to join Duncan with a six-year deal that actually had more cash value than the Nets deal of approximately $100 million because there is no state tax in Texas. But why quibble over a few million here or there? The Nets will be favored to make it three Eastern Conference titles in a row.

4. Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana Pacers. The second choice of the Spurs, O'Neal wasn't going anywhere as he signed a seven-year deal for that maximum of approximately $120 million to stay put. The Pacers gave him his first break, he became a star and that's where the star will shine. They will push the Nets next season, you can count on it.

5. Alonzo Mourning, New Jersey Nets. Getting ‘Zo to accept a four-year, $22 million contract was mandatory for Kidd to have no second thoughts about staying put. This isn't the same Alonzo Mourning of 1999, now that he's struggled with a kidney disease over the past three years. That's why the four-year guarantee was so stunning (even though they can just pay it down over time if they decide to release him). But they should be able to get 25 tough minutes in the post out of this superb competitor, making them a much more formidable team inside.

6. Juwan Howard, Orlando Magic. Howard turned down the opportunity to play in Detroit next to Ben Wallace and near his alma mater, and with Kevin Garnett in Minnesota. His wife is from Florida, and Howard playing next to Drew Gooden makes them a much better team next season, perhaps capable of finally getting Tracy McGrady out of the first round. Florida also doesn't have state tax, so coupled with the $100 million contract he just finished, taking less than $30 million for his final contract was no issue.

7. P.J. Brown, New Orleans Hornets. Tough call for P.J. to turn down big money from the Spurs to stay home for $40 million, but he made the call. Why move your family when you can live year-round at home? That was the deal, and it was huge for new coach Tim Floyd to retain his most consistent low-post defender and solid citizen.

8. Rasho Nesterovic, San Antonio Spurs. After getting snubbed by Kidd, O'Neal and Brown, the Spurs got Nesterovic to leave Minnesota for a six-year, $42 million deal to replace David Robinson. Nesterovic will be able to provide similar numbers to what Robinson put up the past two seasons on the way to retirement, but anything above that is pure fantasy. Maybe Duncan can get through to him better than Kevin Garnett did. But it isn't fair to pin Nesterovic's inconsistencies on K.G., that's for sure.

9. Michael Olowokandi, Minnesota Timberwolves. Over the long haul, this might work out to be one of the great deals of the week. Although he is just as erratic as Nesterovic, his best games are far beyond Nesterovic's capability. And that he signed for three years and just less than $16 million is a steal. He has had his runs as a double-double machine and perhaps playing next to Garnett, that will happen more frequently. It's hard to believe this fell under the radar screen.

10. Elton Brand, Miami Heat. The six-year, $82 million-plus signing would have ranked in the top five if it weren't an offer sheet. Despite all the front loading and kickers, the Clippers cannot afford to allow their only All-Star to walk, and if they match over the next 15 days, Brand is all theirs for six years. So unless we are shocked, this was an exercise in futility for the Heat.

11. Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets. Miller is the one restricted free agent most believe the Clippers will not match for (six years, $50 million). Miller gives the Nuggets a bona fide point guard to go along with the addition of rookie Carmelo Anthony. Next on the agenda will be an inside presence like Brad Miller or a shooting guard like Stephen Jackson.

12. Corey Maggette, Utah Jazz. The six-year, $40 million deal is much more likely to be matched by the Clippers. Maggette, an unpolished athlete coming out of Duke, has improved every season and continues to look more and more like a potential All-Star at only 23. The Jazz will be keeping their fingers crossed for 15 days in hopes the Clippers forget about that.

Things to watch

There seems little doubt Gilbert Arenas is gone from the Golden State Warriors, who can match the offer only at the mid-level exception unless they move some players quickly to open up cap space. He's enamored of the young Washington Wizards, and the feelings are likewise and will be a great fit for that young group that loves to run.
Scottie Pippen wants to go out with one last bang, it appears. It isn't likely he'll stay in Portland, and even though the Bulls are offering him the mid-level exception, he's been flirting with the Spurs of all teams.
Pacers free-agent center Brad Miller is the toughest one to figure out. He's a good ol' boy, so it's tough to get a read on whether he will ever get to consistently put together double-doubles as he did the first half of last season, or he'll languish as just another erratic center like a dozen other guys out there. That's why he's still on the market unsigned.
Elden Campbell is another underachieving big man who will be signed when all is said and done; look for the Knicks, Celtics or even the Heat to step up with a few bucks to reel him in.
With Howard already in tow, look for the Magic to step up and replace Darrell Armstrong at point guard with Tyronn Lue. He'll give them the small and quick look lost by the release of Armstrong and Jacque Vaughn.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2003, 01:26 AM
I've never been a big Pippen fan. However, having him around where he only has to provide occasional (as opposed to continual) leadership suits me fine. He could backup any of Bowen, TPark, Manu, or SJax.

9. Michael Olowokandi, Minnesota Timberwolves. Over the long haul, this might work out to be one of the great deals of the week. Although he is just as erratic as Nesterovic, his best games are far beyond Nesterovic's capability. And that he signed for three years and just less than $16 million is a steal. He has had his runs as a double-double machine and perhaps playing next to Garnett, that will happen more frequently. It's hard to believe this fell under the radar screen.

This is what I have been saying all along. The Wolves essentially traded Rasho for Kandi at a few mill LESS per year. The steal of the year so far. I just don't understand why Kandi signed for three years instead of one.

scott
07-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Surprised this went unnoticed:

11. Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets. Miller is the one restricted free agent most believe the Clippers will not match for (six years, $50 million). Miller gives the Nuggets a bona fide point guard to go along with the addition of rookie Carmelo Anthony. Next on the agenda will be an inside presence like Brad Miller or a shooting guard like Stephen Jackson.

Is Denver after Jack?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2003, 01:30 AM
The Wolves essentially traded Rasho for Kandi at a few mill LESS per year.

WTF? Rasho is making 500K more than Kandi...

AHF

DeSPURado
07-17-2003, 01:32 AM
The wolves offered Rasho more than we did. About 6 million more. So they essentially saved money on Kandi.

Coolidge
07-17-2003, 01:45 AM
This is a good sign. There has been some rumblings from the Spurs about Pippen but nothing clear cut. Having an experienced veteran hand like Pippen on the bench would be a great asset. Portland needed him to play heavy minutes and lead the team...which he did well last season. The Spurs would cut down his minutes. Most likely he would play backup point with minutes elsewhere as needed. An asset the Spurs had last year was the size and defensive play of their swingman rotation. Pippen would fit right in.

scott
07-17-2003, 01:48 AM
Wow... we'd have 11 Rings amongst two guys on our bench.

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 01:49 AM
I just outlined what I think Pippen would bring in this thread earlier.

pub237.ezboard.com/ffulls...4085.topic (http://pub237.ezboard.com/ffullsportpressfrm7.showMessage?topicID=4085.topic )

I'm glad the Spurs are taking a look at him -- even though he would definitely make my NBA All-Ugly team. :)

Whottt
07-17-2003, 02:15 AM
Horry I like...Pippen I don't...Pippen doesn't really have anything left even from a reduced minutes perspective...Plus Pippen has been anything but a leader since leaving Chicago...

MannyIsGod
07-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Pippen showed he had ALOT left last year untill he got hurt.

I'd like him

Also, i had some fucking HUGE deaj vu when readin this thread. maybe thats a sign we get pip? heh

Whottt
07-17-2003, 02:34 AM
Getting hurt is part of what goes into a player not having anything left. You can bank on the fact that Pippen will not be healthy this entire season. Pippen has bad wheels and I don't think he's cut from the same unselfish cloth that a guy like Steve Smith is to where hca n still be helpful if he isn't getting playing time(in Smith's case he was very helpful riding the pine but I could live without him being on the court).

Pippen was a detriment to the Rockets..screw him getting a 7th ring.

MannyIsGod
07-17-2003, 02:48 AM
I think he'd be a great addition, we'll just disagree on this one whott.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2003, 03:00 AM
Whatever whott.

Pippen in Portland and Horry in LA were in the same situation - played too many regular season minutes and broke down at the end.

No one's saying start Pippen and play him 30 minutes a game, we were talking about 15 minutes of spot duty.

AHF

Whottt
07-17-2003, 03:00 AM
I know man, the Elton thing took the fight out of me too, I haven't said **** Kidd in hours. :cry

Whottt
07-17-2003, 03:06 AM
Pippen was a great player for the Bulls..he played a large part in their titles..since then he just hasn't impressed me, he has -proven to be a cancer at times, and he has a seriously fucked up knee.

Spend if you want but I can think of other guys I would rather go for on a 1 year deal, that will help the team more...

MannyIsGod
07-17-2003, 03:27 AM
Whott, i know what you mean, at this point I can't argue anymore, as hard as it is to believe.

I'm just ah, **** it.

T Park Num 9
07-17-2003, 04:59 AM
Im sick off arguing too.

Seems were all just chasing tails and end up agreeing what we feel, its just frusteration as a die hard.

Pippen coming in would be AWESOME.

Limited minutes= 6th man BANK ON IT!!

timvp
07-17-2003, 05:13 AM
Pippen would be an awesome signing. He's knows how to win and how to play in big games. Over the last couple years in Portland, he's become more of a leader to the younger players.

This would be a very, very good signing.

Give us some good news, Spurs:smokin2

IcemanCometh
07-17-2003, 05:18 AM
i will believe it when i fucking see it

Whottt
07-17-2003, 06:11 AM
Ok, a picture says a thousand words and due to those pics he posted,TimVP just changed my mind about having Pippen on our bench. Me changing my mind on an established player is a momentous and rare occasion since I am right to begin with about 99% of the time, seriously, I am.

But I'm sold, I can handle having 16 rings on the bench in Kerr, Pippen, and Horry.

Dayumn in those three players you have at least one important member of every NBA champion since the 1990-1991 season. And they are used to playing in a supporting role..sorta with Pippen..

And you know these guys(Pippen/Horry have proven they can win without Shaq and Kobe..ahem unlike some other teams pickups) aren't really nutriders since anybody that goes through this years LakerTeam is going to earn it...And unlike all these young whippersnappers running away from the pressure of defending a title with the San Antonio Spurs, because they know LA is out for blood.......these old guys might just be up for the challenge of contending with that 4HOF'er Laker team without shaking in their shoes...

I'll take them, and their rings from every champ since 91, backing up our young guys with a champions confidence, and riding shotgun going up against GP and Karl.

That's a fuckin bench there.

Tim gonna have to learn how to defend Shaq this year though, while approximating Shaq's offense.... No way around it..and there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do it...David did it easily when he was younger. Duncan may not know how to defend Shaq yet...but you give him a year of thinking about it, and my money will be on Duncan to figure out how to do it.

Edit: Ok I'm pumped about this idea now...those guys can all shoot..and shoot to win championships..we got someone to play Center against every team in the NBA but the Lakers...we got Tony lighting every PG in the league up..we got Manu playing sick D and making big plays..we got Jax ballin and shooting daggers in the 4th..That's a pretty scary team..SA will get some respect in they bring in all that gold..and you know.. those guys are used to beating GP and Karl..

mattyc2422
07-17-2003, 08:54 AM
I'd love to bring Pippen in, as long as he understands that he is behind Jackson, Bowen and Manu in terms of the swingmen spots.

But, Pippen is a great ball handler. He could get some backup PG minutes and some at the 2 and 3 spots.

Solid D
07-17-2003, 08:56 AM
It looks like Pippen is considering Memphis. Part ownership possibility mentioned.

Memphis is just across the line from Arkansas, Pippen's home... but if Pippen is that interested in being close to home, it's still about 200 miles (4-5 hour drive) from Memphis to his hometown of Hamburg. His family would be closer to him, perhaps but that's still a long time to drive for someone used to jets getting him somewhere much faster. It would be closer for his family to come see HIM, I guess.

The more jack ($) Pippen makes, the more he can invest in a team when he retires so the investment angle may not be the driving force, IMO.

www.gomemphis.com/mca/gri...60,00.html (http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_2115060,00.html)

Pippen ponders joining Grizzlies
By Ronald Tillery
[email protected]
July 17, 2003

Free-agent forward Scottie Pippen said Wednesday his meeting with Grizzlies majority owner Michael Heisley went well, and he's seriously considering Memphis as his final stop.

Pippen, 37, is an unrestricted free agent who played for Portland last season. He is mulling a proposal to join the Griz, who can offer no more than their $4.9 million mid-level exception. Heisley met with Pippen and his Memphis-based representative, Brian Parker, Tuesday over lunch in Chicago.

The discussions centered on Pippen playing at least next season with the Grizzlies. Although salary-cap rules prohibit the Grizzlies from promising ownership, there is an opportunity for Pippen to maintain a relationship with the team past retirement.

Pippen has expressed a desire to extend his career in a management or ownership role. Heisley, who owns 70 percent of the Grizzlies, is willing to part with up to 17 percent in minority interest.

"I had a great conversation with (Heisley)," Pippen told The Commercial Appeal in a telephone conversation. "I really respect what he's trying to do in Memphis. He explained his goals, and it gave me an opportunity to hear his vision. It was a very good meeting."

Heisley insisted Pippen's value could be measured by more than on-court statistics.

"I've always admired Scottie. The reason I'm an owner is because of he and Michael (Jordan)," Heisley said. "They got me hooked on pro basketball. I have great respect for him. I hope he gets what he really wants. But I can tell you we're very interested. We'd love him to end his career here and be part of our organization going forward. I simply told him why I thought Memphis is a great place, and what the town had to offer."

Pippen is expected to decide between Memphis, Chicago, Portland and other suitors within the next week. Pippen will continue to negotiate a deal with Griz president Jerry West, who initiated discussions.

"The ball's in Scottie's court," Heisley said.

"Success is obviously important to Scottie, and you don't necessarily judge success by the amount of wins a team puts up," Parker said. "At this stage in his career, Scottie wants to find a franchise he's comfortable with and believes in.

"I don't think there's any question that Scottie was very impressed with Mr. Heisley's vision, his passion and his sincerity for what he's trying to accomplish in Memphis."

Asked if Memphis is a serious option, Pippen (who hails from Hamburg, Ark.) left little doubt.

"It is," Pippen said. "I grew up across the way. It'll give me an opportunity to be closer to my family. Having an opportunity to come back and play that close to home is great. It would be a great opportunity for me at this stage in my career."

Heisley said his message to Pippen was simply that Pippen "could rest assured he'd be treated the right way in Memphis. We need somebody who can show our guys how to win."

In a development:

Griz sign rookie: Rookie free agent Theron Smith signed a two-year contract with the team. Smith, a 6-8, 225-pound forward from Ball State, leads the Grizzlies in the Los Angeles Summer Pro-Am League with 5.3 rebounds per game and ranks second in scoring with 14.8 points per game.
"We're delighted to have an opportunity for Theron (Smith) to join our summer league team. He has played just great," West said. "I believe he has a real legitimate chance to make our team."

ALSPURS
07-17-2003, 09:31 AM
For the same reason I like PIP...is the real reason I want Odom....

Is that they can play alot of positions....

Thats what great about Odom...... but if Odom and Hamilton are gone.... I guess we are going to have to settle for PIP and a Horry.

I am not crazy over that idea.....but I can live with it.

:)

Solid D
07-17-2003, 10:21 AM
....and out of Chicago....

www.suntimes.com/output/b...lnt17.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bullnt17.html)

The waiting game: Pippen adds Mavs, Spurs to the mix

July 17, 2003

While aging NBA stars Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning and Juwan Howard signed with new teams as expected Wednesday, the first day free agents could sign contracts, former Bulls star Scottie Pippen said he will have to keep the Bulls on hold ''a couple of more days'' while he considers ''very interesting'' offers from the Dallas Mavericks and the defending-champion San Antonio Spurs.

But a close friend of Pippen's says the 37-year-old, seven-time All-Star is having mixed emotions about returning to the Bulls.

''He very much wants to play for operations chief John Paxson and coach Bill Cartwright [his former teammates], and he'd love to reunite with assistant John Bach,'' Pippen's friend said. ''But he also wants to play for a championship contender, like the Mavericks and Spurs, who may be willing to pay him a little more than the $4.9 million mid-level exception the Bulls and most other teams are offering.''

Pippen, who has yet to receive any indication that his current team, the Portland Trail Blazers, has interest in re-signing him, said that while it's looking unlikely he will return to Portland, he's not ready to say the Bulls are favorites to acquire his services.

''I definitely have the Bulls under consideration,'' said Pippen, who talked with chairman Jerry Reinsdorf at the All-Star Game on Tuesday night and is vacationing in Chicago for a week visiting family and friends. ''But I've got to look at San Antonio because they've got cap room, they are the defending champions and they would give me a chance to play with a great big man [MVP Tim Duncan, who signed a reported seven-year, $122 million deal with the Spurs on Wednesday].

''With Dallas, any player has to listen to whatever Mark Cuban has to say because he is so pro-player. They have great talent, too. So I have to look at both teams real close. Oh, yes, I also talked with Memphis [Grizzlies] owner Michael Heisley today, and he's a real nice man. He gives me the impression he would really want me to be a part of his organization, and that's the kind of feeling a player looks for.''

Paxson talked with Pippen on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and would like to get a commitment from him by the weekend. But Cartwright wants to avoid premature optimism.

''Let's not get crazy with the Scottie Pippen talk because it's just talk,'' Cartwright said. ''I don't want to speculate on something that hasn't happened. That's silliness. Let's just see what happens. If he comes here, then I'll talk about him all day long. Today, I'm happy about adding two quality defensive coaches in Johnny Bach and Ron Adams. They are going to help our team a lot.''

ROSE SIGHTING: While the Berto Center is being used by reserves and free agents working out and competing in the mini-camp trying to make the summer league team, high-rotation veterans also are starting to trickle in to begin working out in earnest.

''We've had guys in here on and off this summer,'' Paxson said. ''Tyson Chandler has been [working out] in Los Angeles for a while. Eddy Curry works out with Tim Grover downtown. Jalen [Rose] was in this morning, which was good. I would hope that by August, everybody would have the commitment to be in here working out full time.''

BACH 101: Veteran Bulls guard Trenton Hassell might be thinking of bringing a dictionary to practice with him now that Bach has returned from a 10-year absence to be the team's defensive coordinator.

''He's saying some big words, man, and I don't understand some of them,'' Hassell said. ''So I have to pay close attention because it's usually what he says after those big words that I understand. But I heard that he's been around for a while and he helped the team win their first three championships. When people with rings talk, you listen to them. The fact he is a great defensive coach means he can help me fulfill my goal of becoming a better defender.''

WAITING: Paxson said he still has not been given the $1.8 million medical exception from the league for having playmaker Jay Williams sidelined for the season with injuries from a motorcycle accident.

Paxson said he is not discouraged by the fact the league denied the Orlando Magic a medical exception for veteran star Grant Hill.

''There is a possibility that Grant could come back

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 10:43 AM
I would prefer to develop Jackson as the small forward of our present and future.

Pippen is a fussy player who would not take kindly to a reserve role on our team. He wants to start in the frontcourt from what I've been reading.

:cooldevil

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Pippen is just using us for leverage like Kidd did...he can say to Chicago..."I know you only have the MLE but this is what SA and Memphis can do...what else can you throw into the deal?...management position after retirement?...wink wink deal for part ownership?...

he is just Kidding us...

no way he comes here...

ducks
07-17-2003, 11:38 AM
ghost still bitching

the spurs could use a older type player like steve smith to help the young guys

nonone here is saying playing pippen 30 minutes. they are also talking about him backing up tp

SpursFanInAustin
07-17-2003, 11:58 AM
I would like to have Pippen, but unlike Steve Smith, I don't think he'd be happy mentoring Manu and Jack on the sidelines. Although I do think he wants 1 more shot at getting back at the Lakers for beating his Blazers in 2000. I still think that series really stings at Pip and thats why I think he's looking at San Antonio.

Coolidge
07-17-2003, 12:55 PM
To be the backup point and then see a few minutes at the 2 and 3 as needed Pippen would be a great fit. With him on the court you would have all 3 of your perimeter players being tall (6'7"+) and you would have a great defensive unit, especially with him, Bowen, and Ginobili on the court. Depending on how things shake out giving Pippen an inflated one year deal might not be a bad idea. Then he comes off the books and the Spurs would be able to use the room on Manu.

Mark in Austin
07-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Don't be fooled. Pippen will go to the team that pays him the most money. The only reason he's considering the Spurs is because he knows they've got 12 million available.

Is Pip worth 5.5-6mil??? Cause that's what it'll take to get him.

tlongII
07-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Pippen would be a terrific addition to the Spurs. Believe me, he has a great deal left in the tank. I don't think you can play him more than 25 mins per game, but the dude can still play. He's got more game than any of the Spurs current swingmen with the possible exception of Ginobilli. He's a beautiful player to watch on defense. If the Spurs manage to pick him up, I would put them right up there with the Lake Show as early favorites for the 04 title.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-17-2003, 02:56 PM
who the **** are you and what have you done with TlongII?:wink

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 03:18 PM
ducks, STFU.

Pippen wants to start.

We have a glut at the swingman spot.

Next.

ducks
07-17-2003, 03:19 PM
he could back up tp

and I heard no mention anywhere he wants to start.

Ghost Writer
07-17-2003, 03:35 PM
ducks, I remember reading that his recent interest in Chicago was based purley on him not wanting to play the point and wanting astarting frontcourt position.

I don't b1tch. I tell it like it is.

ducks
07-17-2003, 03:39 PM
I thought he liked the bulls because after he retired he might get a job upstairs or be a part owner. not to do with starting.

Rick Von Braun
07-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Don't be fooled. Pippen will go to the team that pays him the most money. The only reason he's considering the Spurs is because he knows they've got 12 million available.

Is Pip worth 5.5-6mil??? Cause that's what it'll take to get him.

BINGO... we have a winner.

-R

ducks
07-17-2003, 03:45 PM
I would pay pippen 6 million if that is what it took to get him for a one year deal. that steal leaves 6 million to get other players.

KoriEllis
07-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Well, we have to pay someone. I wouldn't mind paying Pippen $4-5M for a year.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-17-2003, 03:48 PM
again, Pippen is just Kidding with us...

he has no intention of coming here but is trying to use Memphis and SA for leverage over Chicago...

TheCat5
07-17-2003, 03:52 PM
leverage for what? Chicago's already offering him the full MCE, the most they can offer.