PDA

View Full Version : Possible Utah Trade: Gobert

bluebellmaniac
04-10-2020, 08:04 PM
I find the idea of trading for Gobert intriguing. We'd have to cut salary, so LMA or DDR would likely have to go.

Thoughts?

bluebellmaniac
04-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Dammit, I need pros and cons. Get on it. Research people!

slick'81
04-10-2020, 08:29 PM
Utah isnt even looking to trade him but ok, maybe for poodle/gay and mills?

8FOR!3
04-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Utah isnt even looking to trade him but ok, maybe for poodle/gay and mills?

No but it sounds like Donovan Mitchell doesn't want anything to do with him and since it's kind of Gobert's fault then I'm assuming Gobert is the odd man out and takes the fall. I'm not a huge fan but I can't deny his talent as a rim protector and defender/rebounder.

spurraider21
04-10-2020, 09:54 PM
pop would never because of his covid stuff

Spurtacular
04-10-2020, 10:02 PM
Gobert is a final piece sort of guy. And I'm not sure that he's not redundant given the Spurs have Poeltl.

Spurs Homer
04-10-2020, 10:12 PM
Utah would get rid of donovan mitchell - BEFORE - Gobert -

if they are smart...

better yet - they will just learn to co-exist

bluebellmaniac
04-10-2020, 10:50 PM
pop would never because of his covid stuff

And Gobert is French, thus probably loves wine. So he's okay again.

cool cat
04-10-2020, 10:54 PM
DPOY shut the whole league down, kept Spurs playoff record intact, kept Bron and Nephew from ringing. Dude is a legend.

slick'81
04-10-2020, 11:18 PM
Gay/mills and a first...do it utah!

more realistc money wise would probable be, sign and trade poodle with murray and a un protected pick

DC23
04-10-2020, 11:21 PM
I think if anyone is to be traded it would be Mitchell. He's been very inconsistent and a huge disappointment.

slick'81
04-10-2020, 11:22 PM
No but it sounds like Donovan Mitchell doesn't want anything to do with him and since it's kind of Gobert's fault then I'm assuming Gobert is the odd man out and takes the fall. I'm not a huge fan but I can't deny his talent as a rim protector and defender/rebounder.

They have plenty of time to kiss and makeup

YGWHI
04-10-2020, 11:49 PM
Mavs Sixers and Celtics want him too. I wonder how much those teams are willing to give for Gobert.

TrainOfThought5
04-11-2020, 12:14 AM
DPOY shut the whole league down, kept Spurs playoff record intact, kept Bron and Nephew from ringing. Dude is a legend.

I had to read this twice. Underrated post, 10/10

Spurtacular
04-11-2020, 01:51 AM

It was going to happen either way. Not sure he wasn't incentivized to be an example to get everything to shut down sooner though.

Gibbz
04-11-2020, 02:45 AM
Gay for him.

widowmaker
04-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Spurs playoff record is off the rails. It ended get over it.

TimDunkem
04-11-2020, 10:15 AM
Donovan is dumb. Gobert possibly saved millions of lives with his stupidity.

Prime BEEF
04-11-2020, 10:31 AM
If pop is still here, FO won’t make any trades. DDR will opt in, they won’t pay Poetl (so he’s gone), and they’ll resign Forbes. They’ll pick a 6’5” and under guard with the 11th pick.

exstatic
04-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Utah would get rid of donovan mitchell - BEFORE - Gobert -

if they are smart...

better yet - they will just learn to co-exist

You’re joking, right? Gobert is an idiot who infected his teammates and staff. Mitchel is a star and potential superstar that puts fannies in the seats, and viewers in front of TVs.

Spurs Homer
04-11-2020, 10:40 AM
You’re joking, right? Gobert is an idiot who infected his teammates and staff. Mitchel is a star and potential superstar that puts fannies in the seats, and viewers in front of TVs.

may be true-

but if he is making “demands”

maybe he wont be the smart choice-

gobert apologized and isnt a horrible player- he is still a decent big man to build around if mitchell becomes a prima donna

BacktoBasics
04-11-2020, 03:24 PM
There is little evidence that it’s Gobert’s fault. He was likely positive 2-5 days prior to his press antics. It’s actually more likely that Mitchell infected Gobert since Mitchell was asymptomatic.

Mitchell’s being petty and ignorant about the whole thing.

BacktoBasics
04-11-2020, 03:27 PM
Again no real evidence of that. These guys were all over the place. What was it? 3-4 infected teammates. They could have picked it up on the road, at a club, restaurant, strip club, bar... you name it. NBA players are typically active. Exploring cities on the road etc. They were all positive days before that night. Incubation period is an average of 4 days.

TD 21
04-11-2020, 07:27 PM
If push comes to shove and the Jazz are forced to decide, they probably choose Mitchell over Gobert. Gobert has greater impact, but he's 4 years older, plays a far more saturated position and isn't box office.

That said and despite being the rare star who'd probably be amendable to playing here, I'd have no interest. They'd obviously want a significant amount in return and a 28 year old rich man's Poeltl, who's likely to make at least 3 times as much going forward, isn't what a re-building team needs and he's not the type of star who might attract another one, since he's not part of the in crowd.

slick'81
04-11-2020, 07:28 PM
If push comes to shove and the Jazz are forced to decide, they probably choose Mitchell over Gobert. Gobert has greater impact, but he's 4 years older, plays a far more saturated position and isn't box office.

That said, I'd have no interest. They'd obviously want a significant amount in return and a 28 year old rich man's Poeltl, who's likely to make at least 3 times as much going forward, isn't what a re-building team needs and he's not the type of star who might attract another one, since he's not part of the in crowd.

Thats why i said throw in Murray/poodle and a first. They obviously wont bite ,but what does it hurt

TD 21
04-11-2020, 07:35 PM
Thats why i said throw in Murray/poodle and a first. They obviously wont bite ,but what does it hurt

Why would the Spurs, who are on the precipice of a re-build, give up 3 young assets for 1 prime one?

They'd be better off paying Poeltl, who's 3 years younger, 1/3 the rate and getting something like 2/3rds or 3/4ths the caliber of play, plus retaining Murray and an unprotected 1st (with where they're likely to be drafting in the next few years, this could end up a high pick and a star).

slick'81
04-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Why would the Spurs, who are on the precipice of a re-build, give up 3 young assets for 1 prime one?

They'd be better off paying Poeltl, who's 3 years younger, 1/3 the rate and getting something like 2/3rds or 3/4ths the caliber of play, plus retaining Murray and an unprotected 1st (with where they're likely to be drafting in the next few years, this could end up a high pick and a star).

first off ,the jazz arent even trying to mve gobert. Im just saying hypothetically this is what it would probably take. Not saying utah or sa would actually do it

TD 21
04-11-2020, 07:45 PM
first off ,the jazz arent even trying to mve gobert. Im just saying hypothetically this is what it would probably take. Not saying utah or sa would actually do it

But you're advocating it.

Again, if push comes to shove, I actually think the Jazz would do this (they might prefer White to Murray though).

Short of Davis, Jokic, Embiid, Towns, bigs have limited value nowadays and even though Gobert is closer in caliber to them than Capela and Drummond, he's more similar stylistically to the latter, who both just fetched minimal returns.

For a team trying to win now, I don't see them doing better than two young, plug and play pieces that they could use, plus an unprotected 1st . . . but the Spurs wouldn't offer that.

slick'81
04-11-2020, 07:53 PM
But you're advocating it.

Again, if push comes to shove, I actually think the Jazz would do this (they might prefer White to Murray though).

Short of Davis, Jokic, Embiid, Towns, bigs have limited value nowadays and even though Gobert is closer in caliber to them than Capela and Drummond, he's more similar stylistically to the latter, who both just fetched minimal returns.

For a team trying to win now, I don't see them doing better than two young, plug and play pieces that they could use, plus an unprotected 1st . . . but the Spurs wouldn't offer that.

nope ,love me some poodle POWER,but just saying utah isnt giving up a 2x dpoy and allstar for nothing. Ok well drop the pick ...do you feel better? Replace murray with white,and poodle for gobert

exstatic
04-11-2020, 10:10 PM
may be true-

but if he is making “demands”

maybe he wont be the smart choice-

gobert apologized and isnt a horrible player- he is still a decent big man to build around if mitchell becomes a prima donna

You don’t have any idea of how this league, outside of SA, operates. The Prima Donnas run the show.

Spurs Homer
04-11-2020, 10:43 PM
You don’t have any idea of how this league, outside of SA, operates. The Prima Donnas run the show.

sadly

you are probably correct

talkspurs
04-11-2020, 10:51 PM

Yep none of that aloud here Pop will make sure he is the only prima dona.

TD 21
04-11-2020, 11:53 PM
nope ,love me some poodle POWER,but just saying utah isnt giving up a 2x dpoy and allstar for nothing. Ok well drop the pick ...do you feel better? Replace murray with white,and poodle for gobert

Without the pick, it becomes debatable, but the Jazz wouldn't do it.

slick'81
04-11-2020, 11:59 PM
Without the pick, it becomes debatable, but the Jazz wouldn't do it.

Yup. Id be more willing to back poodle if the spurs played him more then 15mpg. Lma is still progress stopping poodle

TD 21
04-12-2020, 12:01 AM
Yup. Id be more willing to back poodle if the spurs played him more then 15mpg. Lma is still progress stopping poodle

If they're smart enough to re-sign him (doubtful), they will because Aldridge has at most one season remaining as a Spur.

8FOR!3
04-16-2020, 09:49 PM
There is little evidence that it’s Gobert’s fault. He was likely positive 2-5 days prior to his press antics. It’s actually more likely that Mitchell infected Gobert since Mitchell was asymptomatic.

Mitchell’s being petty and ignorant about the whole thing.

I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but I will say it was a bad look for Gobert doing what he did right before all that came out. Doesn't necessarily mean he's at fault, it could've just been bad timing for his stupid joke. Who knows what the actual situation is between them.