PDA

View Full Version : Bad News About Luis Scola

timvp
09-02-2004, 10:35 PM
It has been confirmed that Scola will have a two million dollar buyout next season.

:(

Do you still try to bring him over?

ChumpDumper
09-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Sure, all he needs to do is take out a loan for the $1.65 million (or whatever it may be with the new CBA) he'd owe and pay it off over the life of his contract.

Of course he might just stay over there another year during the next lockout....

IcemanCometh
09-02-2004, 10:44 PM
probably means we use all our mle on him

timvp
09-02-2004, 10:47 PM
probably means we use all our mle on him

That's what it sounds like to me. He can get big money in Europe and combined with the hefty buyout, the Spurs would probably have to give him something like 3-years, $12M just to cross the pond.

Is he worth that?

KoriEllis
09-02-2004, 10:49 PM
3year/9.9M with the third year as a team option would be okay with me.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2004, 10:50 PM
That makes no sense, LJ.

Even if the Spurs were going to pay Scola the entire amount of the buyout, it would only make a half-million dollar difference per year over three years.

The money does not have to go directly from the Spurs to Scola to Tau the second he signs.

timvp
09-02-2004, 10:54 PM
No player is going to take out a loan just so he can break even by playing in the NBA. Euro teams know he can dominate there, they'll offer him big money.

There is a reason why he was hesitant to say he was even thinking about joining the Spurs.

What type of contract do you propose?

ChumpDumper
09-02-2004, 10:57 PM
No player is going to take out a loan just so he can break even by playing in the NBA.How is it breaking even if you pay $1.65 million and get $10 million over three years?

timvp
09-02-2004, 10:59 PM
What type of contract do you propose?

ChumpDumper
09-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Isn't Nocioni getting about 9 in 3?

Something similar to that.

timvp
09-02-2004, 11:05 PM
I heard 3 year, $11.5 million. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull27.html)

I agree, it will be a similar deal.

:smokin2

spurster
09-02-2004, 11:05 PM
The answer is Javtokas.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Paxson declined to give financial details, but a league source reported earlier that Nocioni will sign a three-year, $11.5 million contract, helping to provide him with the $3 million he needs to buy out his contract with Spain's Tau Ceramica.I think we have our precedent.

timvp
09-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Yeah, true. The only problem is Scola is a Euro star and still getting better. Tau Ceramica will try hard to keep him. Andres Nocioni (his teammate) was good, but Scola was better and a more important part of the team. Scola averaged more minutes, points, rebounds and assists.

It won't be easy to pry him away.

Tony Le Parker
09-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Is he bigger than Manu was when he left? Manu didnt exactly get top dollar from the spurs when he came over. I don't know Scola's temperament, maybe he likes being top-dog in a 2nd tier league, but it appears that Manu likes challenges.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2004, 12:09 AM
I guess Nocioni's MVP Award in the ACB last season really killed his market value. Scola was third.

Does anyone know what these guys really make in Europe?

I'm looking -- here's a little tidbit that might help.
Barca has a stadium capacity of 8,000 compared to the football ground, which seats 100,000. While this may be an unfair comparison due to the size of the Nou Camp, the average basketball crowds are 7,000 compared to Primera Liga games which usually attract 40,000.

Financially, too, there are clear differences, with the average ACB player earning EUR 300,000 per annum.

Barca has the fourth-biggest budget behind Real Madrid, Tau Ceramica and Pamesa Valencia, with a figure of EUR 11 million.www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=83&story_id=5825 (http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=83&story_id=5825)

That's $13.41 million.

Any other clues?

ducks
09-03-2004, 12:13 AM
it will be intersting to see what the new cba does with these buyout contracts

I bet that owners will want teams to be able to help out more then 350,000 k

grjr
09-03-2004, 12:19 AM
I think we have our precedent.

I thought the election wasn't until November:wtf

jr

ducks
09-03-2004, 12:23 AM
this might be one reason why the spurs tried so hard to get rid of that rose fellow

by the way if the bigs are getting 40 million that does nothing
thne scola is worth 12 million

ChumpDumper
09-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Another number:
Ricci said his contract has a base salary of $130,000 with incentive bonuses of up to about $70,000. He made $15,000 playing in the NBDL.www.recordnet.com/articlelink/081104/sports/articles/081104-s-3.php (http://www.recordnet.com/articlelink/081104/sports/articles/081104-s-3.php)

Again, the base is about 1/3 that of the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-03-2004, 12:46 AM
1. I think you will sign a deal somewhere along the lines of three years, with a team option for the fourth ;) , for somewhere between 9 and 12 million.

2. I think you will see the owners, with the influx of foreign talent, include language in the new CBA that allows teams to cover buyouts of up to 3 million for Euros.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2004, 02:09 AM
These guys don't link anything, but I have no reason to doubt this:

Barcelona is confident however that a deal to bring Jasikevicius back to the club will be concluded within the next few days. The Spanish club is believed to be offering Jasikevicius a massive 5.5 million euro five-season contract....

....Maccabi meanwhile decided to cut its budget by some $2 million for the coming season to $11 million.www.jasikevicius.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31&sid=5ba1bd962031ec72631208406b4b9ce9 (http://www.jasikevicius.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31&sid=5ba1bd962031ec72631208406b4b9ce9)

$6.7 million in 5 years for the leader of the reigning Euroleague champion and the best point guard in Europe?

From the team whose spending ranks 4th out of 18 teams in the ACB?

How much could Scola possibly be making?

timvp
09-03-2004, 03:43 AM
I'm sure Scola's contract right now is small. It sounds like one of those long-term music record deal contracts -- probably worth about $150,000 annually at most.

But when he becomes free to go anywhere he wants, I'm sure there will be a lot of Euro teams (Italy, Greece, etc.) in the bidding. What the Spurs will have to compete with is overcoming the buyout and then another long-term Euro contract offer that would set Scola for life.

The two-year, $2.2M deal that Manu got won't cut it.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-03-2004, 10:39 AM
TimVP....you don't think Scola noticed Manu's new contract?..If he has confidence in his game he won't hesitate to take a Nocione type contract to work up to the big payoff later...it's a no lose situation for him...if it works out in the NBA he gets big bucks from someone in 2-3 years...if not he can still go back to Europe as a star...but the potential payoff for coming to the NBA at his age is astronomically bigger than staying in Europe...

From his standpoint the ONLY downside of coming to the Spurs is that he plays the same position as Tim Duncan...and might not get enough minutes to impress the forum stat watchers...but NBA coaches and scouts look a lot further than just limited minute stats...if his game works in the NBA he is gonna be a valuable commodity when he hits the free agent market...

adonis50
09-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Timvp has a legitimate point. Many European teams will be in the hunt for Scola's services and the bids may go very high. His age is also a factor on whether he wants to play with the Spurs sooner rather than later. Scola can enjoy hefty paychecks dominating European courts and try his luck in the NBA at age 27 for example. Nocioni's performance with the Bulls may be another factor when it comes to Louis' decision. Manu is above and beyond any other Argentine player, but Scola can always measure his chances by how Nocioni fairs in the competitive NBA world. I think that the Spurs besides the financial incentives have to guarantee Scola minutes, so the way they shape their roster next summer will be a factor.
I think Scola, unlike Dejan, wants to play in the NBA.

KoriEllis
09-03-2004, 12:01 PM
If he has confidence in his game he won't hesitate to take a Nocione type contract to work up to the big payoff later

That's what LJ is saying -- a Noccioni like contract is 3year/11.5M. Is he worth that to start out?

Tommy Duncan
09-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Given the title of this thread I thought I was going to read about another bike accident involving a Spurs' draft pick.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2004, 12:09 PM
$6.7 million in 5 years for the leader of the reigning Euroleague champion and the best point guard in Europe?

From the team whose spending ranks 4th out of 18 teams in the ACB?How much could Scola possibly expect to make?

BTW, Jasikevicius' contract allowed for a buyout ONLY if he joined an NBA team -- not another Euro team.

SAmikeyp
09-03-2004, 12:17 PM
hey, Manu just got a BAC (Big ass contract) have him fork over 2 mil for his boy. He could probably defer it or something. Any of you capologists know how that could work? I know that Troy Aikman deferred a lot of his money to help the Cowboys back in the '90's. But that was the NFL cap.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Anyone know what Manu's buyout was?

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-03-2004, 12:55 PM
front load back load payouts are still averaged out over the length of contract for cap purposes...adjusting Manu's contract wouldn't change anything from a cap perspective...

as for the Spurs / Manu having any kind of agreement to pay Scolas buyout in an attempt to circumvent the cap, "the NBA will investigate if it suspects that an outside person or organization is paying a player on behalf or at the request of a team. If they find out that such an event has occurred, they will penalize the team. For the first offense by a team, the fine can be up to $2,500,000, forfeiture of a first round draft pick, and/or voiding the player's contract. The penalties increase for subsequent violations. "

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-03-2004, 01:04 PM
That's what LJ is saying -- a Noccioni like contract is 3year/11.5M. Is he worth that to start out?

looking at what slug PF/C's went for this summer I would have to say yes...If he works out he will be a relative bargain...

and as Spurs fans after all these years of hoarding cap room we need to adjust our mindset...for years to come we will no longer have cap room but rather have the MLE and LLE available every year if the Spurs choose to use it...the "new" cap for the Spurs is now the lux tax number...and with the CBA set to be renegotiated next year that number could go up significantly...that could easily be the quid quo pro for the players association agreeing to shorter contract terms...

ducks
09-03-2004, 02:38 PM
if he is not
they need to package him along with rose to get a big that would play

jokinen
09-03-2004, 02:50 PM
I think 3 years 9 or 10 million will be enough, Scola will ask for minutes more than money.

BTW, Nocioni was the Star of Tau this season, not Scola, now that Nocioni is leaving TAU Scola will be the leader of the team.
but Nocioni got 3 years 11.5 mill because his buyout was of 4 mill while Scola's buyout is will be 2 mill.

KoriEllis
09-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Like I said earlier in this thread, I think Scola will get 3years/9.9M (3rd year team option). And I think that would be fair and worth it.

BTW, I think Nocioni's buyout was 3M, not 4M.