PDA

View Full Version : XtraSports 690 reports:Spurs gunning for Brand

Man in Black1
07-15-2003, 08:14 PM
:brotha

Again, its Hacksaw Hamilton but this what I was told by some of my homies OUT WEST.

According to Lee, he reports that the Spurs and David Falk, Elton Brand's agent, are working to give Elton a contract with the Spurs at 6 years at $65 Million.

The trick here, according to Lee, is that Falk & the Spurs are adding "Poison Pills" to the contract by front-loading the hell out of it. The way it is being announced is that the 1st year will pay him $9 Mill PLUS a signing bonus of $11 Million. In effect, if the Donald wants to match that offer, he has to put up $20 Million dollars RIGHT AWAY instead of doing his normal, wait & hold pattern.

Will the Donald bite or will he avoid the Poison?

Remember the source:

Xtra has a radio link.

www.xtrasports690.com

KoriEllis
07-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Hmm.. seems I was right again.

People who don't chat miss out. :)

genghisrex
07-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Spurs fans can only hope.

:hat

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 08:17 PM
:smokin

SpursWoman
07-15-2003, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry, MIB, you must have heard incorrectly. :wink

:smokin2

ChumpDumper
07-15-2003, 08:20 PM
I don't smoke.

:drunk

DeSPURado
07-15-2003, 08:27 PM
If we are going for Brand, then who is Rose going to be traded for? Have you heard anything about that Kori....I know the Spurs wouldn't be considering this without a plan for Rose...

KoriEllis
07-15-2003, 08:29 PM
I don't know Despurado.

GO POP GO!

Solid D
07-15-2003, 08:30 PM
I keep reminding myself of that old saying...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

(But I still have to keep reminding myself...)

Confucious D says, the difference between uncredible and incredible is the difference between U and I.

Man in Black1
07-15-2003, 08:31 PM

My opinion of the matter on Rose is that you don't trade him at all. With the commitments to USA Basketball, Tim & Elton (and anyone else playing on the US Team) would be playing more minutes of basketball with less rest. That adds up over time. It is imperative to take care of them AFTER their Olympic time by making sure the Spurs have the appropriate depth. Malik provides that..NO DOUBT. The same goes with Manu, Tony, Rasho(Who has said that he will forego playing with his Slovenia team...probably), & Mengke as well.

:fro

ducks
07-15-2003, 08:32 PM
:flipoff that radio station does not support mac users

DuffMcCartney
07-15-2003, 08:34 PM
I dont support mac users either....

Solid D
07-15-2003, 08:35 PM
What's wrong with playing Brand at the 3 some of the time? He's pretty quick, you know...especially in a zone with his long extension.

There are many teams the Spurs could use a frontcourt of Rasho, Tim and Brand and a backcourt of Jack/Manu and Parker. It would be rather imposing, don't ya think?

Malik wouldn't need to go anywhere...unless they had to use him for a S & T.

ducks
07-15-2003, 08:35 PM
I do not need your support:p

Man in Black1
07-15-2003, 08:36 PM
:white

Sucks for you ...quack, quack.

And Lee always says, Yuma, El Centro, the Imperial Valley...I got a number for you at 1-800-866-1150

ducks
07-15-2003, 08:39 PM
I have 10 windows machines to listen to it on. but mine is a mac and my apple sound system rules

I sometimes can catch 690 am in the evenings in yuma on the radio

Marcus Bryant
They could definitely try a '3 Big' lineup at times. Give Rose some run at the '3'...

scott
According to Lee, he reports that the Spurs and David Falk, Elton Brand's agent, are working to give Elton a contract with the Spurs at 6 years at $65 Million.

Does anyone else see a problem with this.

Unless this number refers to the base salary before the signing bonus, we should be offering Brand the MAX.

Let's not do Donny any favors here.

DuffMcCartney
07-15-2003, 08:40 PM
My allegiance will forever be for Bill Gates, my emperor........:white

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 08:43 PM
scott that could be due to the fact that the way the Spurs have the contact set up the 'base salary' is lower than the max but then the bonus would make up the difference. Basically I wonder if the $65 mil refers to that and the $11 mil bonus would be in addition to that.

genghisrex
07-15-2003, 08:43 PM
scott, I think the $65 million figure is before the $11 million bonus so it'd actually be more like a $76 million (max) contract. The catch being that Elton would get $20 million in the first year.

ducks
07-15-2003, 08:45 PM
you do know bill gates stole everything from apple then made windows 8o

and oversea's he pirates stuff and hates it when people do it to his stff:shock

scott
07-15-2003, 08:48 PM
That's what I figured- but the way the report is makes you wonder.

I would assume that $65 mil would be base + signing bonus = max

DuffMcCartney
07-15-2003, 08:51 PM
you do know bill gates stole everything from apple then made windows

who do you think stole the apple software?......:white ....allegiance baby....I will not fail my emperor....:white

timvp
07-15-2003, 08:54 PM
This isn't too surprising to those who've been listening.

:music

ChumpDumper
07-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Wouldn't a max contract for Brand from the Spurs now be $82.125 million over 6 years?

Still room for a bidding war, it seems.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 08:56 PM
We'll see. I'm sure the Spurs wouldn't offer anything less than the max.

genghisrex
07-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Chump, I wouldn't be surprised if the figure from the radio was calculated before the new salary cap came out. I imagine the Spurs will adjust their offer accordingly as I think Brand is unlikely to risk being stuck in Clipperland for 6 more years unless he receives the max dollar amount.

ducks
07-15-2003, 08:58 PM
apple was around before windows

bill gates was dating the apple person's daughter and took a peak and then made windows

get your facts straight:king

scott
07-15-2003, 09:15 PM
I hope those who decided to retype this post 45 minutes later at other sites will at least take the time to make the plagarism a little less obvious next time.

DeSPURado
07-15-2003, 09:25 PM
That is really bad plagarism. That is really not cool.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Offer Brand a salary of 6 years, $61.592 million and a signing bonus of $20.5313 million. Sterling would be forced to pay $28.7436 million the very first season of the contract if he matched. This is the best the Spurs can do under the CBA, and I hope they go for it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Ah, am I missing something?

We are apparently going to sign Rasho and Elton? Surely if we have Elton we hardly need bloody Nesterovic!?! I'm confused.

Maybe they're trying to get Sterling to bite on Elton so we can get Odom a little cheaper? Seems to me that Odom is a better fit if we sign Rasho than Elton. Not saying I don't want Elton, that would be fantastic, but why blow our whole cap on 2 bigs when we are going to need a SF soon? Unless they see Jax as the starting SF, and then how do you do the frontcourt minutes???

Tim
Elton
Bruce
Manu
Tony

Leaving

Rasho
Malik
Kevin
Steve
and another guard on the bench?

Chemistry-wise that looks an odd team to me.

What am I missing???

ChumpDumper
07-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Gotta say this is more exciting than watching Jerry Buss lose a couple hundred thousand in real poker -- though that was fun too....

Temple Of The Dog
07-15-2003, 09:38 PM
posted this in another thread:

would you guys take this depth chart?

5) duncan/rasho/willis
4) brand/duncan/horry
3) bowen/sjax/horry
2) manu/sjax/kerr
1) parker/t.lue/kerr

if we pry brand away from the clippers, then sign and trade speedy and malik to washington (or somewhere) for a rookie contract and a future pick. (we save some capspace)

how about something like that?

SpursFanInAustin
07-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Signing Rasho is insurance of an extra big, in case the Clipps match Brand's offer, therefore, they wont be stuck with Tim, Malik, and Kevin just manning the 5 spot. Signing Rasho helps the Spurs be more aggressive and allows them to wait the 15 days for the Clipps to match. Besides Brand is the guy they wanted over O'Neal. Odom wouldnt want to be a Spur anyway. Brand on the other hand does.

timvp
07-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Ruff (sup homey?),

They wanted a sure thing in Rasho because they need a big no matter what. Now they are going for it all. Some people in the organization had Brand on the top of their wish list above Kidd and JO, so now it's a risk free attempt at striking gold.

There is no way you can pass up a player like Brand. If by some miracle they land him, then you either trade Malik or Rasho down the line.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Rasho could be the insurance plan.

Temple Of The Dog
07-15-2003, 09:43 PM
in anycase its an expensive insurance plan. if they somehow do get brand... malik won't fit.

TwoHandJam
07-15-2003, 09:43 PM
I'm fucking sitting on eggshells here. If we sign Brand I'm gonna throw a huge-ass party. Signing a player of this magnitude is so monumental that it's about the best thing you can get short of winning a championship. It's the chance at becoming a fucking dynasty.

Tim
Brand
Bowen
Manu
Parker

That lineup is just sick both offensively and defensively.

*crosses all fingers and toes*

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Im tellin ya,

if Rasho some how doesnt fit in, they trade him to New York for Spreewell.

Knicks wanted Rasho bad, and Pop wants Spree.

PJ and Spree have made up already, so its all good.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Sup LJ. :)

Well, if Rasho's insurance I geddit. But if we do land Brand we have to wait a while to trade Rasho, yes? It might also piss him off since Minne are offering more money than us aren't they?

I thought being nice to players was a priority in the NBA since the behaviour of individual franchises towards their players influences future FA decisions (but I guess that doesn't matter to us for a while after this year)...

What happened to bringing Scola over???

ShoogarBear
07-15-2003, 09:51 PM
How does the signing bonus affect the cap?

If it doesn't, then why don't people try to get around the cap by just using big-ass bonuses all the time?

Walton Buys Off Me
07-15-2003, 09:53 PM
If the Spurs manage to land Brand- the Lakers' moves become irrelevent.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Shoogah,

The signing bonus is averaged over the length of the contract (i.e., over a 6 year contract a 12 million dollar signing bonus would add 2 million a year to the player's deal).

The catch is the signing bonus average + yearly salary cannot exceed the maximum payable salary for the player.

So in effect, his total salary + total signing bonus = max contract.

That's why the reported offer is lower than the max we can offer him, but when you factor in the signing bonus, then he's getting the max.

AHF

Man in Black1
07-15-2003, 10:03 PM

Plaigiarism?

How many homies out West DO YOU KNOW? Those guys know lots of shit, I should know, how do you think I got the link to XTRA?

THE MIB IS CONNECTED.

timvp
07-15-2003, 10:04 PM
If Rose or Brand can play some time at the 3, then you could get away with Duncan, Rasho, Brand and Rose.

C - Brand, Rasho
PF - Duncan, Rose
SF - Bowen, Rose
SG - Jackson, Manu
PG - Parker, Manu

C: Brand 38, Rasho 15
PF: Duncan 38, Rose 25
SF Bowen 28
SG: Jackson 30, Manu 28
PG: Parker 38

That would work:smokin2

DuffMcCartney
07-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Too bad, they could have traded him to NY for some cap room....or something...that might have worked...maybe in a few years.

DeSPURado
07-15-2003, 10:09 PM
MIB they plagarized you. Not accusing you of anything.

feedback.woai.com/ubb/ult...3;t=016067 (http://feedback.woai.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=016067)

Lee Hacksaw Hamilton is reporting on the www.xtrasportsradio.com that the Spurs & David Falk are trying to work out a contract that is heavily front-loaded and includes poison pills in the contract.

I'm not sure how it will all break down but the way I heard it on the radio is that the Spurs will give Elton a 6 year 65 Million contract. For those that don't know what a poison pill is: Its a clause or allowance in a contract that makes it hard to accept if you're not prepared to follow through. This is how it works in this situation. The plan is to front-load the contract by giving Elton $9Mill in the 1st year of the contract plus an $11 Mill signing bonus. While its true that we'd lose 15 days and wait if the Clippers will match, Donald Sterling will have to have $20 Mill on the table in that 1st year. Considering that the last FA he signed was Eric Piatkowski at 5 years $15 Million, I'm thinking he might actually let this one go by...EVEN IF ITS ELTON. $20 Million to start? That would be difficult to give up for a noted miser like Sterling.

Man in Black1
07-15-2003, 10:19 PM
:white
Something wrong with that Clear Channel Server at times.

Just saying I know those guys out west and we've always been cool. They were cool enough to call me to let me know.

And now you do too.

:hat

TwoHandJam
07-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Just read over Larry's salary cap stuff again and what the Spurs are doing looks legit as far as the bonus. Quite ingenious actually.

The only part I'm wondering about is that I've heard the Spurs had placed some other performance incentives in there as further poison pills. Is this true? If it is, I'm concerned about this passage:

Incentives are included in team salary if they are "likely to be achieved." They do not count if they are not likely to be achieved. (Except in the first year of the contract, where the salary, likely bonuses and unlikely bonuses must all fit within the salary cap or exception.) The league office determines what is likely and what is not. Their general guideline is whether the criteria was achieved in the previous year. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would probably be classified as "likely to be achieved," but an incentive based on eight assists per game would probably be classified as "not likely to be achieved."

I heard something about incentives like "making the playoffs" and such. Wouldn't this be considered "not likely to be achieved" for the Clippers?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 11:20 PM
TwoHand,

Incentives pertain to statistics and award a player financial bonuses.

In the case of the clause for Elton and LA and the playoffs, that is more of unique way of structuring a player opt-out clause.

AHF

TwoHandJam
07-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Can you give me more info on this "opt out clause" that's supposedly in there AHF?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 11:30 PM
I wish we knew more TwoHand...

AHF

timvp
07-15-2003, 11:37 PM
There is some sort of opt-out clause and some other stuff in there besides the front-loading to deter Sterling from matching it from what I was told. When I told you guys (in chat) about this yesterday, I didn't know the specifics and unfortunately I still don't.

I hope to get some info late tonight about everything that's happening last minute. If I do, of course I'll share.

In the meantime, the National League is up 6-3.

:smokin 2

--Kori

TwoHandJam
07-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks Kori. You rock. :music

Whottt
07-16-2003, 12:13 AM
I don't see why we would ditch Malik..you start all 3..yeah you lose something on offense...but man you have a beastly interior defense..you will see some ball getting swatted..I think all 3 of them could work..they all have pretty decent jumpers..none of them are really 3 shooters, Duncan would probably be the closest.. but you can cirumvent that a little..

I don't see why anyone has to be moved...as far as getting 3 pt shooters...if you have that kind of frontline 3 shooters are going to be paying us to come here when they want to have a big year for contract purposes...

ALSPURS
07-16-2003, 12:16 AM
I really do not see even if we heavy load the rfont of his contract why Sterling will not match.

Brand is there best player...I can not see them letting him go.

With all that said...I wish we could get the guy.

KoriEllis
07-16-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi ALSPURS, welcome.

Sterling doesn't care if he's the best player. He doesn't care about winning. And Sterling won't be happy about shelling out that much cash. But it's still a long shot.

Keep your fingers crossed.

gunawanspurs
07-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Man, Brand as a Spur would be a GODSEND for us, a hint that GOD the almighty wouldn't allow a jackass team like the fLakers get another ring while a more righteous, classy, deserving team like our are ready to form a dynasty of its own right now ! :elephant

ALSPURS
07-16-2003, 12:31 AM
I hope so......

Thanks for the welcome....

Adrienne18
07-16-2003, 12:33 AM
I'm torn between not wanting yall to get Brand because of competition, and dying for yall to get brand so the Spurs can whoop up on the Lakers next year...hmmm...:p

exstatic
07-16-2003, 12:34 AM
Hey ALSPURS - Sterling cares nothing about winning. He only wants to keep his payroll as small as possible to turn a profit by taking his share of the TV revenues, while fielding an inferior product. He has several other good young big men "in the pipe": Chris Wilcox, Melvin Ely, and Chris Kaman. They make LOT less than our offer to Brand would be...:hat

scott
07-16-2003, 12:38 AM
I think "Adrienne" is a closet Spurs fan.

Adrienne18
07-16-2003, 12:41 AM
I do like the Spurs, but the Mavs are my team...if I didn't like the Spurs at all, would I be here? I think not.:)

scott
07-16-2003, 12:53 AM
You may be a pretty face, Adrienne, but that alone won't cut it around here.

We all thrive upon constant conflict- you aren't being very fun!

Adrienne18
07-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Okay, you want me to pretend like I hate the Spurs? Will that make you happy?:rolleyes :)

scott
07-16-2003, 12:54 AM
The rolling eyes is a start.

Adrienne18
07-16-2003, 12:55 AM
haha...sorry, it's too hard to pretend like I hate the Spurs...or for me to be mean to you...notice even with the rolling eyes, I had to add a smiley face?

scott
07-16-2003, 12:59 AM
hmmm... we'll have to work with you.

Dunkel Weizen
07-16-2003, 01:02 AM
One good incentive to put in would be an opt-out clause after 5 years if he is the team's leading scorer. That would be considered "likely to be achieved" in LA, but not SA.

That brings up a question: if the opt-out incentive is unlikely to be achieved in SA but likely to be achieved in LA, does that change the number of years over which the bonus must be prorated for the purposes of calculating player salary?

How would this be handled? Would LA have a contract it could not match, giving the Spurs a brilliant victory by exploiting a loophole, or would they be allowed to "match" a contract with an adjusted bonus that could be prorated over 5 years instead of 6?

Shaq H8ter
07-16-2003, 04:52 PM
So am I right in guessing that this isn't going to happen since Miami is throming 82+ Million at him!?

espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0716/1581398.html (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0716/1581398.html)

:depressed

bigzak25
07-16-2003, 04:59 PM
correctamundo. ^^^^^^^^