PDA

View Full Version : Sportico Exclusive: @spurs ownership is selling a minority stake in the team

ace3g
04-30-2020, 05:09 PM
https://twitter.com/soshnick/status/1255953998206599168

Robz4000
04-30-2020, 05:11 PM
Team will be in Seattle before the end of the decade.

Genovaswitness
04-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Acceleration brought to you by that miserable piece of shit poop :toast

Darius Bieber
04-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Team will be in Seattle before the end of the decade.

Or Vegas

ChumpDumper
04-30-2020, 05:25 PM
One minority owner wants to cash out. Understandable.

baseline bum
04-30-2020, 05:38 PM
One minority owner wants to cash out. Understandable.

Doesn't seem like a good idea IMO. The return he'll get will be horrendous right now with no season this year and a half season in the absolute best case next year.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Doesn't seem like a good idea IMO. The return he'll get will be horrendous right now with no season this year and a half season in the absolute best case next year.Yep, might be hard up or can't wait for some reason.

Dverde
04-30-2020, 06:34 PM
They’ll never move this team you trolls.

baseline bum
04-30-2020, 06:39 PM
They’ll never move this team you trolls.

They will when the lease is up if the city or county doesn't give them another round of welfare for millionaires.

spurraider21
04-30-2020, 06:40 PM
Or Vegas
:hungry:

KobesAchilles
04-30-2020, 06:46 PM
If the Spurs re-sign Bryn then I will officially stop supporting them financially. I already have it all planned out to buy some Rocket tickets (and I hate the Rockets) right behind the Spurs bench and heckle the shit out of Bryn the whole game. Shits gonna put me back 2 grand just to be petty but I think it’s worth it, Corona and everything I’m still gonna go out there and give my money to the Rockets instead of the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2020, 06:46 PM
They will when the lease is up if the city or county doesn't give them another round of welfare for millionaires.Yep. Can't imagine any city's being in a position to pay for getting an NBA team that isn't even guaranteed to play in front of a paying audience in the near future.

TXstbobcat
04-30-2020, 07:50 PM
They will when the lease is up if the city or county doesn't give them another round of welfare for millionaires.

before the lease is up it will come down to a vote for a new arena. If the vote is yes then they will stay. If it’s voted down then it’s Adios Spurs. Simple as that.

baseline bum
04-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Yep. Can't imagine any city's being in a position to pay for getting an NBA team that isn't even guaranteed to play in front of a paying audience in the near future.

I thought the lease was through like 2030 though.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2020, 08:04 PM
I thought the lease was through like 2030 though.Yes, that's why I agreed with you. Cities might be ready by then. Knowing who the new part owners are might give a hint to possibilities but if the Spurs can get a new deal like the current one it's hard to beat. Age of the arena might become an issue, but I don't know what would be considered obsolete about it in the future.

TXstbobcat
04-30-2020, 08:05 PM
I thought the lease was through like 2030 though.

extended it through 2032.

baseline bum
04-30-2020, 08:06 PM
Yes, that's why I agreed with you. Cities might be ready by then. Knowing who the new part owners are might give a hint to possibilities but if the Spurs can get a new deal like the current one it's hard to beat. Age of the arena might become an issue, but I don't know what would be considered obsolete about it in the future.

Probably the lack of luxury boxes and money in the city to buy them. They'll probably end up in Austin by then.

baseline bum
04-30-2020, 08:07 PM

Really? Interesting, I thought 2030 was the extension and the original deal was through 2027 or 2028.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2020, 08:15 PM
Probably the lack of luxury boxes and money in the city to buy them. They'll probably end up in Austin by then.That's been my thinking but the current atmosphere in Austin is anti-giveaway and location might be an issue in the city proper. Always a chance something off-the-wall happens like Round Rock/Williamson County doing some batshit stuff around the new Apple campus or near Dell Diamond and that weird ass resort going up. Too soon to tell but not a lock to stay in SA.

TXstbobcat
04-30-2020, 08:16 PM
Really? Interesting, I thought 2030 was the extension and the original deal was through 2027 or 2028.

I think the original lease was through ‘27 and the extension was for 5 years. If I remember correctly, the original deal was funded by hotel and rental car taxes.

TXstbobcat
04-30-2020, 08:48 PM
That's been my thinking but the current atmosphere in Austin is anti-giveaway and location might be an issue in the city proper. Always a chance something off-the-wall happens like Round Rock/Williamson County doing some batshit stuff around the new Apple campus or near Dell Diamond and that weird ass resort going up. Too soon to tell but not a lock to stay in SA.

I grew up in Austin but I haven’t lived there in many years but the impression that I always got was that if it’s not the Texas Longhorns people in Austin just don’t care that much.

gambit1990
04-30-2020, 08:56 PM
what major sports teams have broken their lease to relocate?

TXstbobcat
04-30-2020, 09:04 PM
what major sports teams have broken their lease to relocate?

why would they want to break it? They can just leverage the city of SA into a new arena before the lease is up.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2020, 09:07 PM
I grew up in Austin but I haven’t lived there in many years but the impression that I always got was that if it’s not the Texas Longhorns people in Austin just don’t care that much.There are so many people and so much new money that has nothing to do with UT it can't be called a one horse town anymore IMO.

vy65
04-30-2020, 09:51 PM
That's been my thinking but the current atmosphere in Austin is anti-giveaway and location might be an issue in the city proper. Always a chance something off-the-wall happens like Round Rock/Williamson County doing some batshit stuff around the new Apple campus or near Dell Diamond and that weird ass resort going up. Too soon to tell but not a lock to stay in SA.

I figured south, like Kyle or Buda. Close enough to westlake and not technical in Austin so you can still call them the SA Spurs. Like what the pistons did when they moved to Auburn Hills.

offset formation
04-30-2020, 09:56 PM
Or Vegas

Vegas is gonna be on life support for a year or longer. Then add in 20%+ unemployment and you can put Vegas in ICU for at least 2 years.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2020, 09:58 PM
I figured south, like Kyle or Buda. Close enough to westlake and not technical in Austin so you can still call them the SA Spurs. Like what the pistons did when they moved to Auburn Hills.Maybe. The regional model seems to work better for football than basketball and it's tough to see the team's giving that much of a shit about SA if it moves out of the city. Anything's possible tho-- I'm just aware of the burbs north of Austin being aggro about flashy developments. Plenty of governments all along I35 to fleece.

vy65
04-30-2020, 10:06 PM
Maybe. The regional model seems to work better for football than basketball and it's tough to see the team's giving that much of a shit about SA if it moves out of the city. Anything's possible tho-- I'm just aware of the burbs north of Austin being aggro about flashy developments. Plenty of governments all along I35 to fleece.

Right when I hit post, it dawned on me that Hays county likely doesn’t have the funds necessary to make the proper incentives. WillCo likely a different beast.

I think that the applicable region is so small that it could make sense, but you’re right, who knows right now.

FutureMan
04-30-2020, 10:49 PM
In 2032, if that’s the year the contract is up, San Antonio will probably be 4th or 5th in population. The city will easily be able to keep the AT&T center for concerts/ect & build a new stadium for the Spurs elsewhere like the Rim or downtown again.
Minimally 1/3 of the league has a better case for leaving their respective cities over the Spurs.

bluebellmaniac
04-30-2020, 10:59 PM
Got my .1%. Y'all better hurry up before all the shares are bought up!

Dex
04-30-2020, 11:58 PM
We’ve heard this shit about the team moving for two decades now.

It isn’t going to happen. At least, not anytime soon.

They aren’t going to move one of the league’s top franchises after a couple bad years. If anything, NO or SAC or MEM are more at risk than the San Antonio Spurs...the team with the 5th most championships all won in the last 20 years.

Chill out, people.

baseline bum
05-01-2020, 12:04 AM
I figured south, like Kyle or Buda. Close enough to westlake and not technical in Austin so you can still call them the SA Spurs. Like what the pistons did when they moved to Auburn Hills.

Players would prob be afraid of getting lynched in Buda tbh.

jjktkk
05-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Players would prob be afraid of getting lynched in Buda tbh.

WTF are you talking about? Buda is pretty much a suburb of Austin now. Very similar to Boerne.

baseline bum
05-01-2020, 10:51 AM
WTF are you talking about? Buda is pretty much a suburb of Austin now. Very similar to Boerne.

I guess I just had a bad experience with the cops there in the 90s when I was coming back from Austin with two black friends and our car broke down in Buda.

wildbill2u
05-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Minority owners are always at the mercy of the majority owners in regards to return on investment or direct payouts from profits. It takes a serious meeting of the minds partnership to keep the two interests in sync. When a widow takes over she is often influenced by outside interests of family, attorneys and financial advisors to take actions that aren't favorable to an amicable relationship with minority interests. And they don't have to keep them happy.

FAmily problems within the ownership interests such as divorce or death resulting in multiple heirs usually result in a desire by one party or the other to want to sell their minority share in order to completely separate themselves from the other partners.

I think some of the thinking here about a move in the future is way premature. No businessman wants to buy a minority share with the idea of taking over a franchise.

spurs1990
05-01-2020, 03:02 PM
To the San Antonio natives - where would the new stadium best be located - downtown SA or the northern outskirts, ritzier part of town?

I only went to one downtown game (Jan 2002) but do recall the advantage of being surrounded by so much tourism on foot. I presume there would be real estate to build a world class arena downtown. Hopefully.

Prime BEEF
05-01-2020, 03:30 PM
To the San Antonio natives - where would the new stadium best be located - downtown SA or the northern outskirts, ritzier part of town?

I only went to one downtown game (Jan 2002) but do recall the advantage of being surrounded by so much tourism on foot. I presume there would be real estate to build a world class arena downtown. Hopefully.
For non-locals, putting it downtown next to the convention center and the Alamodome makes the most sense to me. Can have riverwalk, tourist stuff, convention center, the stadium and arena all together. Can fly in, get a downtown hotel and just walk to everything. Would be a great setup.

for locals, it’s all about easy commute and parking and not in a ghetto area. So just depends on the FO’s and the cities targeted audience. Locals or visitors?

objective
05-01-2020, 03:37 PM
People thinking they have until 2032 to figure it out are mistaken.

Wheels will be put into motion well before 2032. If there isn't a new arena deal signed, sealed and delivered by 2030 at the latest kiss the Spurs goodbye. Hell, I'd be nervous if there wasn't a groundbreaking ceremony in 2029.

Bennett asked/proposed for the new Sonics arena 3.5 years before the lease was up. 7-8 months later he was filing for arbitration to get out of the lease. 6 months after that he offers a buyout. 6 months later the lawsuit is settled and the Sonics are let out of the final 2 years.

The smart money is on the interests of Seattle or Vegas to start going to war now. I'd be watching for evidence of astro-turfing/fake newsing/bots sowing the seeds of anti-Spurs/anti-public-funds in the San Antonio market starting now, if they haven't already.

A few hundred thousand over the next few years of an underhanded campaign to sabotage any efforts to build the Spurs a new arena will save the Seattle/Vegas groups millions. Fake pro-business or fake anti-tax groups will become active on Facebook and Twitter etc. Anti-Pop rhetoric with regards to his opinions on political or social issues will become more active if Pop is still around to stoke anger amongst the conservatives who will be easily manipulated into being anti-Spur when it comes to any consideration for a new building, even if didn't directly involve raised taxes.

I wouldn't count on the Spurs sticking around.

Texas eye
05-01-2020, 03:45 PM
La Vegas Spurs in less than 3 years. Bet Vegas wont build a stadium in the Ghetto.

baseline bum
05-01-2020, 03:58 PM

You can still pick up a blowjob after the game from the hookers on New Braunfels Ave at the current location. They're not lookers though.

baseline bum
05-01-2020, 04:05 PM
People thinking they have until 2032 to figure it out are mistaken.

Wheels will be put into motion well before 2032. If there isn't a new arena deal signed, sealed and delivered by 2030 at the latest kiss the Spurs goodbye. Hell, I'd be nervous if there wasn't a groundbreaking ceremony in 2029.

Bennett asked/proposed for the new Sonics arena 3.5 years before the lease was up. 7-8 months later he was filing for arbitration to get out of the lease. 6 months after that he offers a buyout. 6 months later the lawsuit is settled and the Sonics are let out of the final 2 years.

The smart money is on the interests of Seattle or Vegas to start going to war now. I'd be watching for evidence of astro-turfing/fake newsing/bots sowing the seeds of anti-Spurs/anti-public-funds in the San Antonio market starting now, if they haven't already.

A few hundred thousand over the next few years of an underhanded campaign to sabotage any efforts to build the Spurs a new arena will save the Seattle/Vegas groups millions. Fake pro-business or fake anti-tax groups will become active on Facebook and Twitter etc. Anti-Pop rhetoric with regards to his opinions on political or social issues will become more active if Pop is still around to stoke anger amongst the conservatives who will be easily manipulated into being anti-Spur when it comes to any consideration for a new building, even if didn't directly involve raised taxes.

I wouldn't count on the Spurs sticking around.

We'll all be in mass graves from COVID by then anyways tbh. I don't expect them to stay here beyond 2032 because I doubt the taxpayers will vote them another stadium without being a title team. The 99 title is the only reason they're still here. And I can't disagree, I'd vote no on any arena deal tax giveaway. On the plus side I think they'd go to Austin and not Seattle and especially not shithole Vegas that has never recovered from the 2008 banksters depression.

Robz4000
05-01-2020, 04:22 PM
We'll all be in mass graves from COVID by then anyways tbh. I don't expect them to stay here beyond 2032 because I doubt the taxpayers will vote them another stadium without being a title team. The 99 title is the only reason they're still here. And I can't disagree, I'd vote no on any arena deal tax giveaway. On the plus side I think they'd go to Austin and not Seattle and especially not shithole Vegas that has never recovered from the 2008 banksters depression.

LA gonna get a third basketball team imo

Kool Bob Love
05-01-2020, 06:58 PM

Rumors going around that the team will be moved to the west side of San Antonio. Screenshot this plebs.

FkLA
05-01-2020, 07:56 PM
You can still pick up a blowjob after the game from the hookers on New Braunfels Ave at the current location. They're not lookers though.

Is there another franchise, in any sport in the past two decades that has chosen such a terrible location for their new arena? Every time I think about it I cant get over what a moronic decision it was.

A $200-300 million investment (in 2003 money) and you cheapen out on the land smh.

baseline bum
05-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Is there another franchise, in any sport in the past two decades that has chosen such a terrible location for their new arena? Every time I think about it I cant get over what a moronic decision it was.

A $200-300 million investment (in 2003 money) and you cheapen out on the land smh.

The city was trying to tie a new convention center to the Spurs arena vote and the Spurs were scared that would cause the vote to fail since it doubled the price taxpayers would be on the hook for. That stadium was going to be in the south end of the Alamodome parking lot. So the team ran to the Bexar County who had land at Freeman Colosseum.

As for franchises with really bad stadium locations, the best example I could think of was the New Jersey Nets and The Meadowlands. You used to always hear how their attendance was shit even in their Finals years because it was such a bitch to get to. ElNono used to go to games there, maybe he could chime in.

ElNono
05-01-2020, 08:25 PM
As for franchises with really bad stadium locations, the best example I could think of was the New Jersey Nets and The Meadowlands. You used to always hear how their attendance was shit even in their Finals years because it was such a bitch to get to. ElNono used to go to games there, maybe he could chime in.

The Meadowlands was terrible. Right smack in the middle of the NJ/NY commute. The Turnpike traffic has always been shit. It also didn't help it was like 20 mins away from Manhattan, so it really couldn't compete as a venue for non-sports shows.

exstatic
05-01-2020, 08:51 PM
I think the original lease was through ‘27 and the extension was for 5 years. If I remember correctly, the original deal was funded by hotel and rental car taxes.

It was 2027, and was extended 5 years for the upgrades they did a while back.

TXstbobcat
05-01-2020, 08:55 PM
It was 2027, and was extended 5 years for the upgrades they did a while back.

do you think they will get a new arena in SA before the lease is up or do you think they as good as gone?

8FOR!3
05-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Put the new arena next to Chris Madrid’s so I can grab a burger after the game next time I visit

Prime BEEF
05-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Rumors going around that the team will be moved to the west side of San Antonio. Screenshot this plebs.
Where on the west side? West? Or NW? Seaworld and fiesta Texas are already there so could make sense as far as consolidation of big entertainment venues. And lots of hotels there.

gambit1990
05-02-2020, 02:27 PM
always thought the best place for the spurs to play would be where the alamodome is, right next to downtown.

first spurs game i went to was at the alamodome.

bigfan
05-03-2020, 12:13 AM
Nothing better than a loge seat at Hemisfair then several post victory brewskis at that bar on the Riverwalk level of the original Marriott. They should have never moved from downtown.

exstatic
05-04-2020, 10:47 AM
Got my .1%. Y'all better hurry up before all the shares are bought up!

You'd need to win the lottery to buy even that. On a $1.8B valuation, that would be $1.8M. :)

exstatic
05-04-2020, 10:52 AM
Nothing better than a loge seat at Hemisfair then several post victory brewskis at that bar on the Riverwalk level of the original Marriott. They should have never moved from downtown.

Howard Peak, and his (and the SA chamber of commerce's) plan for a local sales tax would never have passed a local vote. The team would be elsewhere now if the county and stockshow hadn't stepped in.

Sure, in Candyland, you want the team downtown, but most of us don't live there.

baseline bum
05-04-2020, 02:01 PM
always thought the best place for the spurs to play would be where the alamodome is, right next to downtown.

first spurs game i went to was at the alamodome.

That's where it would have been if the City of San Antonio wasn't trying to get an expensive convention center upgrade tacked onto the arena vote that would have more than doubled the bill.

baseline bum
05-04-2020, 02:03 PM
Howard Peak, and his (and the SA chamber of commerce's) plan for a local sales tax would never have passed a local vote. The team would be elsewhere now if the county and stockshow hadn't stepped in.

Sure, in Candyland, you want the team downtown, but most of us don't live there.

Yeah that would have failed hard since the team had only been in the Alamodome seven years by that time.

ace3g
05-04-2020, 02:18 PM
https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/1257380719074164736

JuneJive
05-04-2020, 02:37 PM
https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/1257380719074164736

Coming from shitty Amico, this is not encouraging.

Robz4000
05-04-2020, 02:40 PM
Now I'm more convinced the Spurs will be moving sooner rather than later.

Mugen
05-04-2020, 03:00 PM
Come to Vegas, baby! Go Spurs Go!

My Raiders and Spurs within 4 1/2 hrs driving would be the best tbh :lol

daslicer
05-04-2020, 03:28 PM
The new retarded troll shtick for the next 10-20 years will be the Spurs are moving since there is nothing left to troll about.