PDA

View Full Version : Parker, great stats

RobinsontoDuncan
11-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Third in scoring among all point gaurds, in 31 mpg he has 22 ppg on 62% shooting

tp time
11-06-2005, 11:58 AM
always the allstargame in his mind i guess

SA210
11-06-2005, 01:14 PM
:tu Parker

boutons
11-06-2005, 05:34 PM
We have seen a truly "next level" Tony so far, both mentally and game-ly. He may still need to balance his own playing and scoring against running the offense (only 3 AST in 30 minutes vs Mavs), but he certainly has upped his game while keeping his cool for the first 3 games.

eg, perhaps if he would have had only 12 pts but 12 ASTs vs Mavs, the Spurs would be 3-0. Certainly, he and Tim seemd to be the only Spurs really "involved" in last night's game.

1Parker1
11-06-2005, 05:42 PM
His assists also depend on the rest of the team making their shots..........he can't help it if they're all clanking their shots left and right.

Though I don't think him having 24 and 3 vs 12 and 12 would have made that much of a difference in last nights game, I agree his assist numbers could be better.

Chris
11-06-2005, 07:14 PM
He did all these things last year, and the year before. Consistency , is only Tony Parker stat I'll be watching.

FreshPrince22
11-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but he has done this against Dallas, Cleveland, and the Nuggets. 3 of the worst defensive teams in the league. I watched most of the 3 games and he was just walking into the defense and throwing up uncontested layups. In particular I remember the game against Cleveland where it was noticably awful.
________
WEB SHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Kori Ellis
11-06-2005, 07:28 PM
It's funny how when Parker plays well, people still try to discredit him.

"It's only 3 games."

"He still doesn't have enough assists."

"It's because he is trying to be an All-Star and cares about his own stats not the team."

"It's against bad defenses."

Just give him some props and :stfu

I'm sure you'll all be here in groves when he has his first bad game.

You should watch some other point guards in the league regularly and you'll find out that nearly all of them are as inconsistent as Parker has been in the past.

Spurs16212
11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
I agree with Kori..... It is only three games into the season. Its good to see that he is off to a good start but the question is..... Can he maintain and be consistent? Consistency has been his issues in his career. A good example of this was in the 2004 playoffs. He started strong against the Lakers and could not be stopped in the first two games to only not show up again.

Can he maintain this level for all 82 games and in the playoffs? Only time will tell.

ChumpDumper
11-06-2005, 07:37 PM
This is a stunning run for anyone.

Recognize greatness when it's smacking you about like so much bitch.

Chris
11-06-2005, 07:45 PM
This is a stunning run for anyone.

Recognize greatness when it's smacking you about like so much bitch.

:huh

NZHayden
11-06-2005, 07:52 PM
:tu parker
:tu kori

ChumpDumper
11-06-2005, 07:53 PM
:huhUh. Parker good.

MI21
11-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Kori is correct, few PG's were as consistent as Tony last season. I think Spurs fan expect Tim Duncan like consistency from there good players, which just doesn't happen because Tim is more consistent than anybody.

Doc Jerome
11-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Tony looks good to me. I think he'll have a great year. At this stage in his pro career, he's a vet. no more I'm young excuses. I trust that he will perform well this season.

boutons
11-06-2005, 10:08 PM
"Tim is more consistent than anybody."

I differ. Watching NBA TV's clump of 05 playoff games last weekend Sat/Sun as their run-up to Premiere Week (can't they find another word that isn't, puke, FRENCH? :) ) with a cooler head than last May/June, I was amazed how badly Tim played, how he seemed to disappear for quarters. Game5 vs Pistons, had Robert not hit the game5 heroic 3G, the loss would have been mostly on Tim blowing 4Q FTs, close-shots, shooting 35% and missing that last-second put-back winner of Manu's missed layup.

And remember last autumn when everybody was excusing Tim's Nov-Dec mediocrity saying he was sick with something?

Tim is a HoFer, I'm not saying anything to the contrary. And he did very definitely put the team on his shoulders, eg in Game6 to eliminate the Sonics, severa times. But he does have his ups and downs, inconsistencies, like anybody else.

MI21
11-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Tim always starts off slowly in Nov/Dec, yet still manages to consistently put up his 20/10/3/3. The game you are talking about against Detroit, maybe, just maybe he was tired from completely carrying the whole team through 3 quarters against the best frontcourt defense in the league with 2 sprained ankles. Sure, Tim wasn't as consistent as he normally is in the playoffs, but it's more consistent than almost anybody else.

When healthy, shit, perhaps even when not healthy, Tim is at least the equal most consistent performer in the league with guys like Garnett, Stoudamire, LeBron, Wade and probably more so. This is widely accepted, even by members of the media who tend to not give Tim much recognition, they all know that he is consistent.

Pistons < Spurs
11-06-2005, 11:10 PM

"It's only 3 games."

"It's because he is trying to be an All-Star and cares about his own stats not the team."

Just give him some props and :stfu

I'm sure you'll all be here in groves when he has his first bad game.

You should watch some other point guards in the league regularly and you'll find out that nearly all of them are as inconsistent as Parker has been in the past.

While I personally think TP has played great so far........the truth of the matter is:

"It's only 3 games."

and,

Hopefully (except when he plays Detroit) he will continue with the great play......but I don't see how anyone can start to give props to anyone whose middle name is "inconsistent". TP has made huge strides each year. I remember watching him a few years ago, and his current game is vastly improved. I don't personally hate on TP, and expect this year to be the year that he "turns the corner", but it's still very early.

Kori Ellis
11-06-2005, 11:16 PM
^^

You aren't a Spurs fan, so you don't understand.

Parker could have 20 games in a row that are very good and Spurs fans wouldn't give him any credit.

That's how it is.

That was the point of the post.

Marcus Bryant
11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
A great sign if TP's J continues to fall this season.

Spurs fans should be glad that Pop badgered Holt et at into giving him that extension.

Pistons < Spurs
11-06-2005, 11:18 PM
^^

You aren't a Spurs fan, so you don't understand.

Parker could have 20 games in a row that are very good and Spurs fans wouldn't give him any credit.

That's how it is.

That was the point of the post.

OK, point taken. I can appreciate that angle, based on what I've read on these forums in the last 5 or 6 months.

MI21
11-06-2005, 11:22 PM

Assists are just a stat, if you watch Spurs games Parker passes the ball early and often and is very creative. His passing ability is underated.

The Spurs are unselfish to a fault at times, which hurts his assist totals and also Manu's. When they drive and kick, it's not terribly often that the player who receives the shot actually shoots it, there is usually another pass or even more and that is what kills other teams because it forces them to rotate and close out aggresively otherwise they get killed from the outside. The flipside is that if they are to aggressive on close outs, the Spurs just run right around them and create havoc in the key.

Also, whenever the Spurs are playing the dump it down to Timmy offense, no one is getting assists if Timmy is dominating, which is of course very often. Our offense is conjusive to everyone getting a few assists, leading to high team assists totals, rather than individual's averaging over 8apg (how many players have done that in last 5 years in any offense anyway). Tony averaging 6apg to go along with his ridiculous FG% for a guard is more than enough.

Brutalis
11-06-2005, 11:29 PM
I do not like scoring PG's.

I would rather he do with assists and steals with what he does on scoring. We already have scorers and if he was a 15/10/2 player things would get way nasty.

ducks
11-06-2005, 11:35 PM
manu is stuggling with his shots right now
tp has to score more

as long as the spurs win I am fine with him shooting the ball more then passing

he just needs to pass more when his shot is not falling

ps if tp makes the allstar game spur fans will think he sucks and manu can still do no wrong

Pistons < Spurs
11-06-2005, 11:37 PM
ps if tp makes the allstar game

Then Billups will own him..................LOL!

Nikos
11-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Parker's #'s are misleading. He's not as efficient as his FG% has shown in the past. So far it doesn't really matter because he is playing awesome and hitting at a ridiculous percentage right now.

But in general when players can't hit threes, or get to the line and make them at a good %, they need to shoot 50% to be efficient on offense. Parker's problems have been FT's (getting their and making), and lack of three point shooting.

Well if Parker can simply get to the line more, improve his % just a bit, I think it will help him. Of course his jumper improving will also help. But he already shot a great % last year, so there is more to improving his game then just outside shooting.

The most likely things you can really ask from him is to slightly improve his mid-range J, FT attack/%, and limiting TO's. He isn't going to average 9apg and doesn't have to. As long as he minimizes his TO's and plays a more efficient brand of basketball, then he will reach his potential. He probably won't ever be a great three point shooter, or someone who takes the shot often. But improving his mid-range is very possible, and so is limiting the TO's and at least GETTING to the line more.

I sincerely hope TP can improve slightly in all these areas, because if he does there will be a domino effect and he will become a much better player than he already has been (which has been very good as it is).

MI21
11-06-2005, 11:43 PM

Like in Game 7 when nobody (includes Billups) scored on Tony for 47:50?

:D:D:D

Mavs<Spurs
11-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Third in scoring among all point gaurds, in 31 mpg he has 22 ppg on 62% shooting

He has improved in pts, assists and to's each year.

So, the last 3 games are part of a consistent picture which we can logically believes should lead to an all star year this year.

:fro

MI21
11-06-2005, 11:56 PM
People want Tony to average upwards of 8apg. Let just see how hard that is exactly. In the Last 5 years these are the players who have averaged 8apg or more, and how many times they have done it.

Jason Kidd - 5 Times
Mike Bibby - 1 Time
Nick Van Exel - 1 Time
Gary Payton - 3 Times
John Stockton - 2 Times
Baron Davis - 1 Time
Andre Miller - 1 Time
Stephon Marbury - 3 Times
Jason Williams - 1 Time
Steve Nash - 2 Times
Brevin Knight - 1 Time

There is 11 players who have done it in 5 years. Only 11. Of those 11, 3 of them are Top 8-10 PG's of All-Time (Payton, Stockton, Kidd), 6 of them have only done it once, and the other 2 left (Nash, Marbury) have done it within uptempo Phoenix offenses (Marbury also in NY, god knows how?).

I also doubt that any of them were as young as Tony whilst doing this, and also most of them were probably playing a few more MPG than Tony is who normally hovers around 30-34MPG. Expecting 8apg from Tony along with running the offense smoothly and scoring, is an awful high expectation.

Pistons < Spurs
11-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Like in Game 7 when nobody (includes Billups) scored on Tony for 47:50?

:D:D:D

Even a blind squirell occasionally finds a nut! :fro

Sense
11-07-2005, 12:13 AM

I'll Bet all my Vbookie money that he wont...

Parker loves attention and if Pop doesn't coach the All Star team, he's gonna be runnin all over the place scorin assistin n shit.

He'll have fun for once.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-07-2005, 01:42 AM
I think Parker may have just been rejuvenated by his national team play the same way manu was last year.

BTW since when have Dallas and Denver been bad defensive teams?

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2005, 02:53 AM
great stats dont mean shit if we goin to keep on losing to teams we are meant to win against

MI21
11-07-2005, 02:58 AM
@ Dallas is a 50-50 type game, we should be confident of beating them there, but it isn't a gimme. Most people would predict a close outcome.

T Park
11-07-2005, 03:04 AM
since when have Dallas and Denver been bad defensive teams

Well Dallas has been bad defensively, ever since Nellie became coach.

Denver IMO is a good defensive team.

Right there with Seattle.

HB22inSA
11-07-2005, 04:19 AM
[QUOTE]It's funny how when Parker plays well, people still try to discredit him.

"It's only 3 games."

Just give him some props and

QUOTE]

But all of these are legit, Kori.

Let's see how he does by game 15.

Kori Ellis
11-07-2005, 04:28 AM
All of them are legit?

It's only 3 games is legit, but why can't we comment on how well he's playing in these three games? That's all the games that have been played. So are we supposed to just ignore how well he's playing and not mention it until it gets to a "reasonable" number?

His assist numbers are a little down because his teammates have missed a lot of baskets and because Pop told him to aggressively score. Spurs fans are waiting for a 10 assist point guard and that's not what the Spurs coaching staff wants out of Tony Parker.

You think he's just trying to be an All-Star and doesn't care about the team? Bullshit.

If the Mavs defense is so porous, then why is Manu still annointed while going 2-for-11?

Legit my ass.

HB22inSA
11-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Legit my ass.
Only Timvp knows if that is legit!!! :)

Seriously, let's not make determinations after 3 games is all i'm saying. Anyone can have a good 3-game stretch, but let's not build him up to be so great when historically he's not been so consistent.

For the record, right now, I wouldn't want anyone else running the offense. He's got too much time under the system and has team chemistry on his side.

Kori Ellis
11-07-2005, 05:11 AM
No one is making any long-term determinations after 3 games. They are just saying IN THESE THREE GAMES, he's playing extremely well. If we aren't allowed to say that, then I guess I should probably shut down the forum until at least game 20, because before then, no comments about any players' play are noteworthy I guess. :lol

HB22inSA
11-07-2005, 05:15 AM
then I guess I should probably shut down the forum until at least game 20, because before then, no comments about any players' play are noteworthy I guess.
No, Kori, then 50% of the posters here would have no idea what to do with themselves.

You think he's just trying to be an All-Star and doesn't care about the team? Bullshit.

Not so fast. Let's see, he's got a Hollywood Girlfriend, he just got done shooting a rap video, sounds a bit like "hey look at me and what I can do" to me.

You don't think he thinks he got snubbed last year for the All-Star game by the Almighty, second freakin' coming in Manu?

Get Real.

DesiSpur_21
11-07-2005, 05:59 AM
You don't think he thinks he got snubbed last year for the All-Star game by the Almighty, second freakin' coming in Manu?
Get Real.

Tony isn't crazy to believe he deserved it last year than Manu. You get real. Manu was freakin' good last season with numerous heroic games before all-star game (@Lakers and @Suns from top of my head)

drclic
11-07-2005, 06:03 AM
"People want Tony to average upwards of 8apg. Let just see how hard that is exactly. In the Last 5 years these are the players who have averaged 8apg or more, and how many times they have done it.

Jason Kidd - 5 Times
Mike Bibby - 1 Time
Nick Van Exel - 1 Time
Gary Payton - 3 Times
John Stockton - 2 Times
Baron Davis - 1 Time
Andre Miller - 1 Time
Jason Williams - 1 Time
Steve Nash - 2 Times
Brevin Knight - 1 Time"

Most off all : No one is a NBA champion ... you want kidd in spurs jersey ? he the best loser i've ever seen !!! unable to make a big shot ...
Nash is the best PG but in Phoenix .. he can't defend and in SA, defence means something ... it means championship ...

So my point is Tp is a very good PG ... especially fit perfectly with spurs because he cans defend, penetrate and do what pop says ...
He also can says : okay i'm not the second option, it's manu ... it's okay with me ...
and all that at 23 years old ...
and come on if he doesn't play 40 mns like the others best pg ...

So stay focus ... he's not a franchise player but he's a lot more consistency that Manu or anybody else in spurs team except Tim ...

So stop criticize his game ... he fits with the team and that all you have to ask from a PG !

Stf.

DesiSpur_21
11-07-2005, 06:05 AM
"People want Tony to average upwards of 8apg. Let just see how hard that is exactly. In the Last 5 years these are the players who have averaged 8apg or more, and how many times they have done it.

Jason Kidd - 5 Times
Mike Bibby - 1 Time
Nick Van Exel - 1 Time
Gary Payton - 3 Times
John Stockton - 2 Times
Baron Davis - 1 Time
Andre Miller - 1 Time
Jason Williams - 1 Time
Steve Nash - 2 Times
Brevin Knight - 1 Time"

Most off all : No one is a NBA champion ... you want kidd in spurs jersey ? he the best loser i've ever seen !!! unable to make a big shot ...
Nash is the best PG but in Phoenix .. he can't defend and in SA, defence means something ... it means championship ...

So my point is Tp is a very good PG ... especially fit perfectly with spurs because he cans defend, penetrate and do what pop says ...
He also can says : okay i'm not the second option, it's manu ... it's okay with me ...
and all that at 23 years old ...
and come on if he doesn't play 40 mns like the others best pg ...

So stay focus ... he's not a franchise player but he's a lot more consistency that Manu or anybody else in spurs team except Tim ...

So stop criticize his game ... he fits with the team and that all you have to ask from a PG !

Stf.

:tu

Good first post. Welcome to the warzone.

Marcus Bryant
11-07-2005, 09:47 AM
The Spurs do not run the type of offense that will enable Parker to average 8+ apg. In a motion offense in the half court set the point guard is not going to dominate the ball. You also have a classic post player in Duncan who is going to make a lot of decisions with the rock, instead of going up with it immediately.

If you'll recall the team in the mid to late 90s with AJ at the helm, that's how a point guard gets 8+ apg in SA. He dominated the offense and DRob was far more likely to go up with the rock than make a decision himself. It should be noted that once the Spurs switched the focal point from DRob to TD that AJ's apg started to decline.

Finally, ask yourself why it is so important that TP have a gaudy assist total. Unless you're a blood relative, I'd say it matters very little. The Spurs have a number of good decision makers with the rock as well as deft passers. Having a point guard who dominates the ball would take away from this team's strength.

1Parker1
11-07-2005, 09:48 AM
I think I need SLOMO to help me design a Member of the Church of Tony logo to counter Manu's following.

(Maybe Kori would like to convert to my church! ;))

1Parker1
11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
On a side note, I still remember that 5 minutes after the Spurs won the championship last season, someone had started a thread that said TRADE PARKER.

People need to realize that half the teams in the NBA would give their arm and leg to have Parker as their starting PG. Not only does he have the experience of playing in a big time game and coming up in the clutch (See 2003 championship run, Game 6 vs. LA, Game 5 vs Suns, 2005 Championship Game 5 against Denver), but he's also 23 and had loads of potential to build on his already talented resume.

Marcus Bryant
11-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Of the Big 3, Parker seems to have the least number of homers in this forum. With the Manu MobŪ in the house, the Parker hatin' isn't gonna stop.

tp time
11-07-2005, 10:04 AM
about french, what do u think about Boris Diaw? Hes not the same guy right now..

Marcus Bryant
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
He's done well.

Spurminator
11-07-2005, 11:56 AM

"It's only 3 games."

Don't forget, "I'd like to see him have 8 games in a row like that, otherwise he's inconsistent."

ShoogarBear
11-07-2005, 12:10 PM
-Everyone knows it's only three games.
-Stats be damned, Tony's J has never looked this good. Even if he was only shooting 40%, on TV you can see his form is more consistent.
-Dallas is no longer one of the worst defensive teams. Or did you see the game at all Saturday? Howard and Daniels have the potential to be a scary good defensive 1-2.
-I too would rather see more assists and less scoring from a PG, but that will never be Tony, especially in this system. Besides, we all know that he will never pass the ball to Manu, even when he's healthy, right?

Extra Stout
11-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Why do people insist that Parker has to become a pure point guard? He's not. The Spurs don't expect him to be. They don't need him to be.

His game is built upon his speed. He's supposed to be aggressive and attck the rim. Either he blows by his man for a layup or the defense collapses on him. When the latter happens, that's supposed to create passing opportunities.

His passing and assists depend upon his penetration and his aggressiveness. The trick with him is to find the happy medium so that he's not overaggressive and out of control, or too passive and ineffective. He's gotten better at that every year.

If nobody is cutting him off in the lane and he's getting easy layups instead of assists, that's great. A Parker layup is a higher percentage shot than a Duncan jumper from the top of the key or a Finley midrange shot. Don't forget what a great finisher Parker has become around the rim.

(The only caveat with this is when Avery Johnson pulls out the "Steve Nash" defense and lets Tony run wild so that nobody else can get involved.)

And now that Tony's getting better with his jump shot, if teams try to pack the lane, he can just drift behind a screen or stop-and-pop. Then if they try to stop that, he can find the open man.

He's not a Steve Nash kind of player who sees all the angles and threads the needle from the top of the key. He'll never be that type of player. Stop holding him to that standard. His game is predicated on his quickness, and it makes him very effective.

Now if he ever tears an ACL, we'll have a serious problem.

picnroll
11-07-2005, 01:19 PM
If he's going to shoot 60+% he can take every shot as far as I'm concerned.

duncan2k5
11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
every pg who averages 8+ assists holds the ball for the majority of the possession running pick and rolls until they find someone to score (marbury, nash, etc) i think the best passing PG is Kidd because he doesn't dominate the ball as much as the rest, but still finds people and gets his numbers. but tony isn't in a system where he has to hold the ball until he finds someone to score...we are an excellent passing TEAM. i dont care how many assists one person has, how many rebounds, how many points...i just wanna win. i excused manu's dissappearing act the first 2 games because we won, but now he needs to step it up. i didn't care that timmy's numbers were down because we were winning and i was loving it. now he needs to take more than 12 shots a game and score more than 1 friggin point in the fourth quarter. we need to get this ship sailing or we might end up like miami worst case scenario.

pache100
11-07-2005, 02:32 PM
BTW since when have Dallas and Denver been bad defensive teams?

Are you SERIOUS?? If you are, you are apparently NOT paying attention, IMO. 'enver and 'allas????? There is no "D" in either one. The Nuggets are slightly better defensively now that Karl is there and may have a defensive future if they keep working at it. Dallas has a shot at being average defensively by the end of this season...providing they listen to their coach. Avery's got some individuals there, though, that don't get team play. If he can work that out, they will get better.

But, for now...'enver and 'allas.

ChumpDumper
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Last season, Dallas was #8 in FG% allowed and Denver was #15.

boutons
11-07-2005, 04:45 PM
I saw Tony spreading his fingers wide, and applying them conscienteiously to ball before a FT, his hand well centered. He still has to think about it, but it will become automatic.

Das Texan
11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Tony has looked very well so far. He continues to make better decisions when having the ball, sure you would like to see the assists go up but so what. I think he is really coming into his own in this league. Hopefully he is turning the corner and becoming more consistent night in and night out, if he does that....good times a plenty.

ChumpDumper
11-07-2005, 11:07 PM
It's only four games....apparently reached the magic assist threshold though....

MI21
11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Tony's start this year is similar to Manu's start last year. Nice.

Duncanoypi
11-07-2005, 11:12 PM
he will be an all-star...

Lady M
11-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't want to create a new topic
TP in a french satiric show with puppets
the show is every day on canal+
http://morandini.canalblog.com/images/t-tony_parker_guignols.jpg