PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Rate Hits 14.7%, Worst Since Great Depression

DMX7
05-08-2020, 09:34 AM
:wow

Spurs Homer
05-08-2020, 10:09 AM
No one is shocked...

this was evident in 2016 when people were complicit in installing an illegitimate fraud

we knew back then that the usa economy would go to shit, that our deficit would increase to astronomical levels, that we would go bankrupt when led by the guy with several bankruptcys, and that a civil war would be closer and closer

we warned you cultists and here we are

we got what we got conned for! We got....
what we paid for!

now 75000 of our friends and family are dead- and death creeps closer and closer to your family- to my family- and guess what you cultists are now doing?

yup

you are CHEERING for the con man murdering criminL-

so go ahead - vote him in again - overlook his cheating again -

BEG for another 4 years of getting what you pay for!

Cheers Amerikkka!

Thread
05-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Sometimes you eat the bear (whoppin' the dog shit outta Clinton).
& sometimes that old bear just gets up all over ya.

hater
05-08-2020, 10:40 AM
“reopening america” wont bring many of those jobs back tbqh

most small service business will fail or reduce staff to bare minimum

baseline bum
05-08-2020, 10:43 AM
No one is shocked...

this was evident in 2016 when people were complicit in installing an illegitimate fraud

we knew back then that the usa economy would go to shit, that our deficit would increase to astronomical levels, that we would go bankrupt when led by the guy with several bankruptcys, and that a civil war would be closer and closer

what we paid for!

now 75000 of our friends and family are dead- and death creeps closer and closer to your family- to my family- and guess what you cultists are now doing?

yup

Cheers Amerikkka!

baseline bum
But how many will die from the Trump Depression?

DMX7

And the big businesses like Boeing and GE that cuts jobs aren't bringing those back either -- those jobs are gone and they were well paying jobs.

Spurs Homer
05-08-2020, 11:11 AM

how many will survive?

boutons_deux
05-08-2020, 11:34 AM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/96282993_128349635494712_4083735302529613824_n.png ?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=qxibKoBv--MAX_hHyPp&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=ef411fd031fcf75bc74b3f6179f03b57&oe=5EDBD476

DMX7
05-08-2020, 11:44 AM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/96282993_128349635494712_4083735302529613824_n.png ?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=qxibKoBv--MAX_hHyPp&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=ef411fd031fcf75bc74b3f6179f03b57&oe=5EDBD476

The real question is what will the unemployment rate be at in November. I think it'll likely be single digits but it may be too high it places where Trump needs to win the most.

boutons_deux
05-08-2020, 11:45 AM

rightwingnutjobs, re-openers, Trash cult mob, have never shown any remorse for American Capitalism's wealth hoarding, Labor oppression inequality, that has lead to 10Ks of "deaths of despair".

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=E171DD89-AEEC-4E89-A470-78529941ED78

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/republicans/2019/9/long-term-trends-in-deaths-of-despair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseases_of_despair

baseline bum
05-08-2020, 11:49 AM
The real question is what will the unemployment rate be at in November. I think it'll likely be single digits but it may be too high it places where Trump needs to win the most.

CBO is projecting 9% by December 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m8bhY68u6M

DMX7
05-08-2020, 11:52 AM

The CBO is bi-partisan but it's record of making predictions on highly variable uncertain things like this is really really bad.

Spurs Homer
05-08-2020, 11:52 AM

this is like an NBA all star point guard-

standing next to the basket...

asking prime-era SHAQ Oneal to climb halfway on top of a 10 foot ladder right next to the hoop-

then getting a camera crew to film him spoon feeding SHAQ the ball for a monster dunk from the ladder

and SHAQ (trump) bobbling the fucking ball out of bounds - a DOZEN straight times...

fucking pathetic!

Spurs Homer
05-08-2020, 11:55 AM
this ^

...and this...

thihttps://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/96282993_128349635494712_4083735302529613824_n.png ?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=qxibKoBv--MAX_hHyPp&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=ef411fd031fcf75bc74b3f6179f03b57&oe=5EDBD476

baseline bum
05-08-2020, 11:56 AM
The CBO is bi-partisan but it's record of making predictions on highly variable uncertain things like this is really really bad.

I can't imagine anything but an ugly and long L-shaped recovery considering how trash the economy was before the pandemic in a nation where wage growth has been stagnant for 40 years but healthcare, housing, and education have all been blowing up in price.

Thread
05-08-2020, 11:59 AM

Still & all we'll grab jacks, timbers & we'll start back down.

Reck
05-08-2020, 12:12 PM
I think the only way to survive this is at least 3 more stimulus package. More money this time. 1200 bucks is a slap in the face even for a couple, let alone someone with an entire family to support.

spurraider21
05-08-2020, 12:13 PM
I think the only way to survive this is at least 3 more stimulus package. More money this time. 1200 bucks is a slap in the face even for a couple, let alone someone with an entire family to support.
its 1200 per person, up to 2400 for married couple, with an additional 500 per kid iirc

DMX7
05-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Seeing pictures of all the cars lined up at food banks is really sad. It's the modern day bread lines that are full. President Hoover Deux?

boutons_deux
05-08-2020, 12:22 PM

does CBO have projection for C19 case and death numbers?

baseline bum
05-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Seeing pictures of all the cars lined up at food banks is really sad. It's the modern day bread lines that are full. President Hoover Deux?

Unfortunately Sanders was the only candidate who could have approximated an FDR to save us.

hitmanyr2k
05-08-2020, 12:23 PM
No one is shocked...

what we paid for!

yup

Cheers Amerikkka!

Yeah, when the country is dumb enough to put a narcissistic reality TV show clown in charge it gets what it deserves.

baseline bum
05-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Yeah, when the country is dumb enough to put a narcissistic reality TV show clown in charge it gets what it deserves.

The country voted for Hillary. The electoral college voted for the fascist piece of shit. The country doesn't deserve what they're getting right now.

clambake
05-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Sometimes you eat the bear (whoppin' the dog shit outta Clinton).
& sometimes that old bear just gets up all over ya.

So, you nicknamed his ass bear

So cute

Thread
05-08-2020, 12:32 PM
So, you nicknamed his ass bear

So cute

Christ-a-mighty, now I have you up my ass. & on a Friday no less.

Damn ya!

Nathan89
05-08-2020, 12:37 PM
No one is shocked...

what we paid for!

yup

Cheers Amerikkka!

Should have told everyone else that you knew a pandemic was coming.

hitmanyr2k
05-08-2020, 12:38 PM
The country voted for Hillary. The electoral college voted for the fascist piece of shit. The country doesn't deserve what they're getting right now.

A ton of people were apathetic and didn't vote at all which put Trump in charge. I count them too.

boutons_deux
05-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately Sanders was the only candidate who could have approximated an FDR to save us.

FDR had support in Congress,

Bernie (or any progressive) has very little support from the Dems.

DMX7
05-08-2020, 01:01 PM
FDR had support in Congress,

Bernie (or any progressive) has very little support from the Dems.

Don't forget many republicans votes for New Deal legislation. Good luck getting that to happen today.

hater
05-08-2020, 01:08 PM
:lmao unemployment drop to below 10% will not happen anytime soon much less in 2021

over half small service business will go kaput

over 60% service employees will be unemployed

those jobs are not coming back anytime soon

DMX7
05-08-2020, 01:15 PM
:lmao unemployment drop to below 10% will not happen anytime soon much less in 2021

I actually think it will come end of year but just barely. Keep in mind work force participation will go way down and that will make the number look slightly better.

Nathan89
05-08-2020, 01:48 PM
https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/1258766342272008195?s=20

Democrats created incentives to not work.

Chucho
05-08-2020, 01:52 PM

Not going to say I disagree, but I'd like to see how you liken Bernie to FDR.

The New Deal isn't this thing that solved our issues like some think and people really discount how much WW2 changed things.

Just would like to hear how you think Bernie could "fix" this.

ElNono
05-08-2020, 01:52 PM

lol, like Republicans didn't vote for that bonus, and the POTUS didn't sign it.

Then again, the unemployment bonus ends July 31st... thankfully they came up with that considering the economy is going to be in the shitter for the foreseeable future thanks to this administration. Hopefully it gets extended and puts some pressure on the private sector to raise slave wages.

Nathan89
05-08-2020, 01:57 PM

Then again, the unemployment bonus ends July 31st... thankfully they came up with that considering the economy is going to be in the shitter for the foreseeable future thanks to this administration. Hopefully it gets extended and puts some pressure on the private sector to raise slave wages.

Yeah, and they ignored Republicans when they mentioned that this creates an incentive to not work. The big brains didn't foresee any problems though.

Seems like.a good strategy to destroy small businesses. Let's let the big brain government try to manipulate the market they've proven themselves to be great decision makers.

ElNono
05-08-2020, 02:01 PM
Yeah, and they ignored Republicans when they mentioned that this creates an incentive to not work. The big brains didn't foresee any problems though.

Any disincentive is temporary, considering the national emergency. I don't know why you seem upset that workers have some degree of temporary leverage so they can make the best decision for themselves and their families, tbh

Again, not surprising to see Republicans working for their corporate overlords and shitting on the little guy.

ChumpDumper
05-08-2020, 02:01 PM

Seems like.a good strategy to destroy small businesses.Had Trump's big brain taken the pandemic seriously as was spelled out for him multiple times, none of this would be necessary.

Seems like a good strategy to destroy America.

florige
05-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Any disincentive is temporary, considering the national emergency. I don't know why you seem upset that workers have some degree of temporary leverage so they can make the best decision for themselves and their families, tbh

Again, not surprising to see Republicans working for their corporate overlords and shitting on the little guy.

Why would anyone work now when they can get paid more just to sit home and take advantage of this. A person would have to be pretty stupid to go back to work making less when they can milk it for two months making more just sitting home. lol

Blake
05-08-2020, 02:10 PM

Pick a lane, berniebruh

DMC
05-08-2020, 02:18 PM

Anything in a pan that comes to that fella, he's not sharing.

Spurminator
05-08-2020, 02:19 PM

Why would anyone work now when they can get paid more just to sit home and take advantage of this. A person would have to be pretty stupid to go back to work making less when they can milk it for two months making more just sitting home. lol

Can you even get the unemployment bonus if you're no longer collecting unemployment?

I don't know if this differs state to state but in Texas you can be rejected for unemployment if you're offered your job back and you decline. We were specifically told on a conference call the other day that we should alert the State Unemployment office if we offer a furloughed employee their job back and they decline.

ElNono
05-08-2020, 02:25 PM

The incentive is $600 a week, so it mostly applies to lower-income individuals anyways. Again, it gives them leverage: If they do not want to work due to fears of contagion, they can't be coerced into it. And if they do want to risk it, they can leverage it for better pay or better benefits.

As I said earlier, the fact this is news at all considering the modest bonus, has much more to do with how depressed wages are at this point.

Chucho
05-08-2020, 02:25 PM

Because when the gravy train rolls out, they might not have a job to come back to and when they try to file again and they're asked if they refused employment, they might be up the creek without a paddle?

2 months of milking it vs not coming back to a job and entering a massive pool of jobseekers when there might not be anymore welfare to give back isn't exactly "genius".

Chucho
05-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Can you even get the unemployment bonus if you're no longer collecting unemployment?

I don't know if this differs state to state but in Texas you can be rejected for unemployment if you're offered your job back and you decline. We were specifically told on a conference call the other day that we should alert the State Unemployment office if we offer a furloughed employee their job back and they decline.

Eyeyup.

ElNono
05-08-2020, 02:27 PM
Because when the gravy train rolls out, they might not have a job to come back to and when they try to file again and they're asked if they refused employment, they might be up the creek without a paddle?

2 months of milking it vs not coming back to a job and entering a massive pool of jobseekers when there might not be anymore welfare to give back isn't exactly "genius".

Yeah, and this isn't high value employees anyways... those guys are already making more than unemployment + bonus.

elbamba1
05-08-2020, 02:38 PM

The New Deal isn't this thing that solved our issues like some think and people really discount how much WW2 changed things.

If we are lucky, all of Europe's infrastructure will blow up and China will go back to Pre-WW II production. Then nothing will get in our way from recovering.

boutons_deux
05-08-2020, 02:38 PM
A lot of companies will try to operate with fewer employees, successfully, so Ms of jobs will not be coming back anytime soon

The last thing a company want is employees, that's why 1000s of companies have switched to outsourcing and/or shipping jobs overseas.

Employees are costs to be eliminated, and if not eliminated, their compensation reduced and held down.

Real household income has been essentially flat since 1981 when St Ronnie The Diseased and trickle down/laffer curve inequality champions took over.

baseline bum
05-08-2020, 02:39 PM

By implementing a safety net like FDR did. Wouldn't have done a corporate bailout like Trump did without at least getting a temporary UBI in for the people.

Also had FDR deserves credit even if you say it was only WWII that lifted the nation up. Had he lost that 1940 election the Brits would have been speaking German. The GOP shit all over FDR for supplying aid to Great Brittain and the 1940 campaign was the GOP saying FDR will get your kids killed fighting in a European war we had no business being in. Cracks me up seeing conservatives always elevate Churchill when they wanted us to be Chamberlain back then.

elbamba1
05-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Some people like to work and be productive. I have an office full of staff that want to work despite the fact that they are getting paid full salary not too. How much Netflix can you actually watch?

Chucho
05-08-2020, 02:48 PM
By implementing a safety net like FDR did. Wouldn't have done a corporate bailout like Trump did without at least getting a temporary UBI in for the people.

Also had FDR deserves credit even if you say it was only WWII that lifted the nation up. Had he lost that 1940 election the Brits would have been speaking German. The GOP shit all over FDR for supplying aid to Great Brittain and the 1940 campaign was the GOP saying FDR will get your kids killed fighting in a European war we had no business being in. Cracks me up seeing conservatives always elevate Churchill when they wanted us to be Chamberlain back then.

Safety net, I agree.

You're synopsis of WW2 I don't buy fully, but shows how much more impact the war had in taking us out of the Depression, which was my original point.

Also, isolation was working for us and no one really knew what our manufacturing capacity was if we did decided to go to war.

And, in regards to the Conservatives attitude changes, yeah, that will happen when you get fucking bombed by another enemy. Is that not a justifiable enough reason to change moods?

Not laughing at you, but it gave me a chukle to see a Dem chastise the Cons for not wanting a war for a change.

Chucho
05-08-2020, 02:48 PM
*decide

elbamba1
05-08-2020, 03:02 PM

Most Americans didn't want to be involved in the War. Roosevelt even campaigned on a promise that he would not send American boys into any foreign war. The GOP was divided on sending aid to GB with their three main candidates taking a different lane. That is ultimately why Willkie got the nomination over the other more established and well-known politicians. Certainly the New Deal helped in bringing an end to the Great Depression, but there were other factors that played major roles in bringing it to an end as well.

baseline bum
05-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Safety net, I agree.

You're synopsis of WW2 I don't buy fully, but shows how much more impact the war had in taking us out of the Depression, which was my original point.

Also, isolation was working for us and no one really knew what our manufacturing capacity was if we did decided to go to war.

And, in regards to the Conservatives attitude changes, yeah, that will happen when you get fucking bombed by another enemy. Is that not a justifiable enough reason to change moods?

Not laughing at you, but it gave me a chukle to see a Dem chastise the Cons for not wanting a war for a change.

If China tried to invade Great Brittain I'd want war then too. But my biggest concerns right now are the following:

1. Trump's attempt at ACA invalidation through a very conservative supereme court. I'm not so much worried about it for myself as I am my parents. Because the ACA closes the donut hole in Medicare Part D's drug coverage, and if that reopens it's going to be catastrophic for many seniors who take any kind of expensive drugs.

2. My mom's Medicare Part G premium is likely to jump from $115 a month to around $450 a month. My dad's from $150 a month to $600 a month, based on projections I have seen for health insurance after COVID. If my mom misses even one month of payment on that now it becomes legal for insurance companies to deny her or charge her higher rates on past medical history, as you only get guaranteed issuance during your initial Medicare signup period. We already know Trump isn't going to do shit for people who are going to get squeezed by this next year, but Bernie and probably even Biden would give some kind of subsidy to keep seniors on their Medicare supplements.

3. Trump's insistence on slashing the payroll tax is a pretty thinly veiled attack on Medicare and Social Security. Pisses me off paying into both of these and possibly having them having them ripped from me to pay for the $3.2 trillion Trump corporate blowjob that mostly went to stock buybacks. Sanders wouldn't do it, and I doubt Biden would kill off Medicare and SS either.

Spurminator
05-08-2020, 04:11 PM
Eyeyup.

So I guess my point is, for all of the anecdotes about how people are staying unemployed because of the stimulus, most of those are probably bullshit.

I have no doubt some people are gaming the system, but if the system were followed correctly by employers, it would prevent people from collecting UB while refusing to work.

boutons_deux
05-08-2020, 04:46 PM
So I guess my point is, for all of the anecdotes about how people are staying unemployed because of the stimulus, most of those are probably bullshit.

I have no doubt some people are gaming the system, but if the system were followed correctly by employers, it would prevent people from collecting UB while refusing to work.

I'm sure, starting with Lindsay Graham, that the propagandists pushing the "they are not working because of $15/hour pays them to stay home" are the very same propaganda spewers who refuse to increase the Fed minimum or to increase it to $15+ /hour.

But they have NOTHING to say about 43,000 millionaires taking avg of $1.6M from the stimulus.

spurraider21
05-08-2020, 04:50 PM
the notion that a program shouldnt exist because some people will try to exploit it is frankly absurd.

Spurminator
05-08-2020, 04:51 PM
the notion that a program shouldnt exist because some people will try to exploit it is frankly absurd.

But people are buying shrimp with food stamps!

ElNono
05-08-2020, 04:59 PM
But people are buying shrimp with food stamps!

Those democrats geniuses... smh

spurraider21
05-08-2020, 05:52 PM
dont worry guys the dow is doing ok

Nathan89
05-08-2020, 06:11 PM

The purpose of giving people money is not to give them leverage. They don't need more money than they were making to not go to work. They don't even need as much money as they were making because they don't have the expenses they had when everything was open. For example, their gas expense has plummeted, their entertainment (movies, sports, bars, etc) has plummeted, they don't need to purchase out to eat food because they are at home, etc. Stop trying to defend this absolute bullshit.

ChumpDumper
05-08-2020, 06:13 PM
The purpose of giving people money is not to give them leverage. They don't need more money than they were making to not go to work. They don't even need as much money as they were making because they don't have the expenses they had when everything was open. For example, their gas expense has plummeted, their entertainment (movies, sports, bars, etc) has plummeted, they don't need to purchase out to eat food because they are at home, etc. Stop trying to defend this absolute bullshit.:lol your selective outrage

Nathan89
05-08-2020, 06:26 PM
:lol your selective outrage

The outrage is over the spin in here to defend this tbh.

ChumpDumper
05-08-2020, 06:27 PM
The outrage is over the spin in here to defend this tbh.Sure, that's what you should be upset about during this pandemic.:lmao

Nathan89
05-08-2020, 06:30 PM
I'm sure, starting with Lindsay Graham, that the propagandists pushing the "they are not working because of $15/hour pays them to stay home" are the very same propaganda spewers who refuse to increase the Fed minimum or to increase it to $15+ /hour.

But they have NOTHING to say about 43,000 millionaires taking avg of $1.6M from the stimulus.

Damn, that's a big check for the millionaires. Did President Trump sign them?

Spurminator
05-09-2020, 10:25 AM
The purpose of giving people money is not to give them leverage. They don't need more money than they were making to not go to work. They don't even need as much money as they were making because they don't have the expenses they had when everything was open. For example, their gas expense has plummeted, their entertainment (movies, sports, bars, etc) has plummeted, they don't need to purchase out to eat food because they are at home, etc. Stop trying to defend this absolute bullshit.

If you are offered a job and you refuse it, you do not qualify for unemployment.

Your outrage, as usual, is based on ignorance.