PDA

View Full Version : Davis Bertrans says Wizards feel much like a democracy as oppose to the Spurs

Amuseddaysleeper
05-09-2020, 06:41 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/davis-bertans-compares-wizards-to-spurs-says-its-more-of-a-democracy-in-washington

With the big 3 gone, Pop’s schtick may be wearing thin on everyone.

Play Boban
05-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Pop = The worst of Stalin, Pol Pot, and Kim Jong Un combined.

Genovaswitness
05-09-2020, 07:55 PM
poop being a dumb out of touch motherfucker. same story different day. no wonder kawhi left :toast

Johnsyounger
05-09-2020, 08:11 PM
LOL. Wizards 12-7899 record over last 10 seasons

weeks
05-09-2020, 08:47 PM
"There's only been a couple of people, maybe in a long time, that have been able to say something to Pop and him agreeing with them."
just saying what we have all known...combine the exodus of his ballsier and more experienced assistants, new ownership group that idolizes him, he's got no one to really challenge his ass and who's gonna stay up late at night sweating over this squad... a squad of losers like derozen, lamarsha and rudy gay...so he's just coasting man. and its cool but the bertans thing and the way it was handled is a lowkey scandal that just gets lost bc of the larger kawhi and morris issue. he's starting to harm the organization, the way players view it and our likelihood of attracting free agents.

objective
05-09-2020, 09:14 PM
"With the Wizards, it's more of a democracy. You can have your opinions and you feel safe that nothing is going to happen that if you're wrong"

damn, ain't that the truth. Everyone is afraid that of what will happen to them for speaking out.

No wonder yes-men like Mills and Forbes get consistent minutes no matter how they play. Meanwhile Murray, White, and Walker have to always walk a tightrope.

slick'81
05-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Pop needs to retire

slick'81
05-09-2020, 09:15 PM
damn, ain't that the truth. Everyone is afraid that of what will happen to them for speaking out.

No wonder yes-men like Mills and Forbes get consistent minutes no matter how they play. Meanwhile Murray, White, and Walker have to always walk a tightrope.

You must kiss the hole of the ass

SAGirl
05-09-2020, 10:59 PM
When he was in the Spurs I remember reading an article from a Serbian fan who shared an interview Davis did for his local media in Europe. Davis was clearly disgusted and unhappy about his constant benchings and his lack of regular play time. I remember there was a season the Spurs had no healthy forwards avialable to play and Pop instead chose to play Forbes 35 minutes. It was before he became a regular starter, meanwhile Bertans rode the pine. AT that moment I didn't even understand what the heck Pop was doing and I was disgusted. Little did I know, Forbes would become a Pop favorite and a regular starter while Davis came off the bench and sometimes not even that.

I knew Davis wasn't happy tbh. but if he said anything, I am sure Pop would disappear him to unplayable status. I was glad for him when he got traded, not for the Spurs, but for him.

This line right here was an eye-opener:

You have to be 100 percent sure, not even 100, maybe 150 percent sure that you're right before you actually say something that is opposite of what he is saying," said Bertans.Said Bertans: "With the Wizards, it's more of a democracy. You can have your opinions and you feel safe that nothing is going to happen that if you're wrong somebody is going to correct you. That might be the big difference.

People are afraid to speak up against a Pop decision. That is not helpful at all.

Budkin
05-09-2020, 11:59 PM

This. Wake me up when they’ve done... anything.

Uriel
05-10-2020, 12:23 AM
Mahinmi said the same thing when he moved to Dallas. He said Carlisle’s leadership style was more democratic while Pop’s was more authoritarian.

phxspurfan
05-10-2020, 12:29 AM
5 rings bitch

But yeah ofc we miss Bert.

However, he is great, but not the championship type. Guys like him are made to hit 3s but those dry up in the big games usually, and the defense, smarts, toughness etc come into play. I love the guy but he is a rich mans Bonner

MultiTroll
05-10-2020, 12:30 AM
woke

While appearing in 49 games off the bench this season for Washington, Bertans knocked down four or more 3-pointers in 25 of those games, which is the third-highest total in NBA history.

phxspurfan
05-10-2020, 12:30 AM
Mahinmi said the same thing when he moved to Dallas. He said Carlisle’s leadership style was more democratic while Pop’s was more authoritarian.

Another guy who was made to put up stats on a bad team. Never good enough to play championship Spurs ball. Had a few chances and his nuts shriveled up and made mistakes

phxspurfan
05-10-2020, 12:32 AM
woke

While appearing in 49 games off the bench this season for Washington, Bertans knocked down four or more 3-pointers in 25 of those games, which is the third-highest total in NBA history.

On a team where you let the guys score on you every possession, don’t care about winning games just getting up shots like you’re at the Rucker. A team with absolutely no coaching or adjustments, just jacking up shots

Play Boban
05-10-2020, 12:52 AM
If you love freedom you should hate the Spurs tbh

Osama was a spurs fan. Fact

MultiTroll
05-10-2020, 12:57 AM
On a team where you let the guys score on you every possession, don’t care about winning games just getting up shots like you’re at the Rucker. A team with absolutely no coaching or adjustments, just jacking up shots
114 pts per game given up by 2019-20 Greggors stopper core.

widowmaker
05-10-2020, 01:11 AM

Hold on man cant you see the wizards have the recipe for winning championships? All these dudes with vaginas are scared of dudes like pop.

widowmaker
05-10-2020, 01:12 AM

Arent you from Eastern Europe?

Spurtacular
05-10-2020, 01:45 AM
You got to kiss Don Popleone's ring.

Spurtacular
05-10-2020, 01:46 AM

:lol What?

timtonymanu
05-10-2020, 02:13 AM
Too bad covid prevented Pop from being exposed and forcing him to retire. Now he gets a pass cause the season has been cancelled and the streak stays alive.

apalisoc_9
05-10-2020, 02:27 AM
Too bad covid prevented Pop from being exposed and forcing him to retire. Now he gets a pass cause the season has been cancelled and the streak stays alive.

meh. He's been exposed.

Only issue now are retarded low IQ 90s basketball fans. They're exactly the kind that thinks pop is still worth something.

TimDunkem
05-10-2020, 04:19 AM
Bertans merely said you can speak out there. Has nothing to do with winning...Which the Spurs haven't done since 2014, btw.

r0drig0lac
05-10-2020, 09:07 AM
5 rings bitch

However, he is great, but not the championship type. Guys like him are made to hit 3s but those dry up in the big games usually, and the defense, smarts, toughness etc come into play. I love the guy but he is a rich mans Bonner

thanks Tim

lefty
05-10-2020, 09:08 AM
Pop = The worst of Stalin, Pol Pot, and Kim Jong Un combined.

poop being a dumb out of touch motherfucker. same story different day. no wonder kawhi left :toast

lefty
05-10-2020, 09:09 AM
:lol Spurms and their backward military mentality

:lol holier than thou, we know better than the players attitude, it’s no wonder Kawhi left that old boys club

lefty
05-10-2020, 09:09 AM
thanks Tim

GAustex
05-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Hard to believe that the Holts continue to let the demented drunk poop time after time to screw up with no retribution
Signing Demarre Carroll-lol/Losing Bertans
losing the best player in the league
hitching his wagon to Bryn Forbes

TD 21
05-10-2020, 10:38 AM
This whole "Lol, Wizards" or "today's players are too soft" routine completely misses the point.

At some point, when this many players (and this is a white, foreign role player, so spare me the racial rhetoric), in a relatively short span, have taken this many thinly veiled shots at you, you're the problem. It's the common denominator effect.

Perception is often more power than reality. The players run this league and have sent a resoundingly negative message about how the genius operates. They either get with the times or continue the descent into irrelevancy/laughing stock status.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-10-2020, 11:03 AM
Dude wants to get paid, nothing wrong with that.

phxspurfan
05-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Greggors

https://media.giphy.com/media/iIkkPygliU14kVooDN/giphy.gif

Forbes...Zaza...Richard Jefferson...The Nephew...

spurspl
05-10-2020, 12:32 PM
i said that way before him, playin under pop=u have no ur own voice nor opinion

KobesAchilles
05-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Made no sense to trade him AND keep Forbes. Choosing Forbes as our “no defense, shitty ball handling only good as a floor spacer player” over Bertans was just stupid. Davis has 7 inches on Forbes (he’s also 7 inches taller :lol ) has a better shot, is a better defender, and has the same handles. They both rebound the same too. This roster needed to be gutted last year and Pop chose to keep the wrong horses in Bryn and Gay.

elbamba1
05-10-2020, 02:18 PM
Bertans merely said you can speak out there. Has nothing to do with winning...Which the Spurs haven't done since 2014, btw.

Two more trips to the WCF and a 67 win season looks like winning to me. Hell, this is the first year they were not going to make the playoffs so the team still did plenty of winning. They just didn't win the championship.

That said, I always kind of scoff when they talk about Tim Duncan being coachable. Tim was the best player in the league and while he allowed Pop to maybe criticize him or yell at him, there is no way in hell Pop would ever have treated him like he does the younger players on the team today. Can you imagine Tim Duncan coming off the bench because Carl Herrera had more experience and knew the system? None of our young players are Tim Duncan, but there is no doubt the difference in talent level between Murray, White, and Walker compared to Forbes Belinelli.

elbamba1
05-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Pop was the beneficiary of Tim Duncan and a more talented front office that scored on a series of lucky draft picks between 1999 - 2002

SAGirl
05-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Sure bc Forbes is doing what exactly?

J_Paco
05-10-2020, 06:05 PM

Exactly, I love the Wizards (I'm from Maryland) and Davis, but what has he or they done to carry more weight than a HOF coach?

When he was in the Spurs I remember reading an article from a Serbian fan who shared an interview Davis did for his local media in Europe. Davis was clearly disgusted and unhappy about his constant benchings and his lack of regular play time. I remember there was a season the Spurs had no healthy forwards avialable to play and Pop instead chose to play Forbes 35 minutes. It was before he became a regular starter, meanwhile Bertans rode the pine. AT that moment I didn't even understand what the heck Pop was doing and I was disgusted. Little did I know, Forbes would become a Pop favorite and a regular starter while Davis came off the bench and sometimes not even that.

I knew Davis wasn't happy tbh. but if he said anything, I am sure Pop would disappear him to unplayable status. I was glad for him when he got traded, not for the Spurs, but for him.

People are afraid to speak up against a Pop decision. That is not helpful at all.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Why the fuck are making this about Forbes? I loved Davis when he was in a Spurs jersey, but he also had a lot of glaring shortcomings (rebounding and post defense) that opponents exploited. That is the exact reason why he was removed from the rotation in last year's playoffs, remember?

Sure, the same Rick Carlisle that has had feuds with players (Rondo) and management (Indiana & Detroit) is such a "better leader" than Pop.

No head coach is perfect, not even Phil Jackson, especially when he's at the tail end of his run, makes poor decisions (X's & O's wise) and has an uneven, poorly constructed roster to contend with.

5 rings bitch

Exactly, I loved Davis but he's literally putting up "empty carbs" stats on a Wizards team with a worse record than the Spurs, that plays in a easier conference & has one of the worst defenses in the league.

Pop should retire if the team decides to fully rebuild, but using Davis' time here as one of Pop's present failure is being intentionally dishonest. Davis never played well enough on both ends, didn't rebound well enough for a 6'10" player and was prone to going through slumps with his shooting and confidence.

I'm happy he's finally found his groove with the Wizards, but now he needs to prove his production can be replicated on a winning team.

J_Paco
05-10-2020, 06:16 PM
Pop was the beneficiary of Tim Duncan and a more talented front office that scored on a series of lucky draft picks between 1999 - 2002

Can't you make similar, benign statements about every winning coach in all of sports? Didn't Phil Jackson similarly "get lucky" by being hand picked to replace Doug Collins in 1989 -1990?

His time has likely past him by, he clearly isn't "in touch" with current - day NBA players, but he also has been important to the last 20 years of success in San Antonio. Duncan deserves a bulk of the credit much like Jordan in Chicago, Johnson in Los Angeles, etc. but coaching still plays an important role to winning basketball.

Spur fans will find that out very soon when we likely don't see another HOF quality coach for 10, 20 or more years.

tbdog
05-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Coaching is playing less and less of a role in NBA success. Sure, motivation and HR management is important, but gameplan decisions? Not so much. Teams are playing too similar these days. It's more about talent and health. Back in the day it was about what team could play their style the most.

jbspurs
05-10-2020, 10:27 PM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I believe the same scenario happened this season to Metu. Aldridge out, Poeltl got hurt and Metu wasn't given a chance. Pop is a control freak, players are tired of it that they don't want to play for him anymore.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-10-2020, 11:26 PM

:lol holier than thou, we know better than the players attitude, it’s no wonder Kawhi left that old boys club

PREACH

apalisoc_9
05-11-2020, 01:48 AM
This whole "Lol, Wizards" or "today's players are too soft" routine completely misses the point.

At some point, when this many players (and this is a white, foreign role player, so spare me the racial rhetoric), in a relatively short span, have taken this many thinly veiled shots at you, you're the problem. It's the common denominator effect.

Perception is often more power than reality. The players run this league and have sent a resoundingly negative message about how the genius operates. They either get with the times or continue the descent into irrelevancy/laughing stock status.

Hey man how's your health?

Been a while since I read any of your post.

Hope you're social distancing. Stay safe from corona.

apalisoc_9
05-11-2020, 01:51 AM
Made no sense to trade him AND keep Forbes. Choosing Forbes as our “no defense, shitty ball handling only good as a floor spacer player” over Bertans was just stupid. Davis has 7 inches on Forbes (he’s also 7 inches taller :lol ) has a better shot, is a better defender, and has the same handles. They both rebound the same too. This roster needed to be gutted last year and Pop chose to keep the wrong horses in Bryn and Gay.

Bertans can basically play the same position as Forbes. Sure, he is awful defensively and can make retarded defensive decisions but he is 20 inches taller than forbes, has a quicker three point release, was always confident with his shot..You didn't need to pamper him to improve his confidence..Just give him playing time and he's ready to go.

He can dunk and his shot contest will always be more valuable than Bryn.

But Poop going to Poop.

hooperflash
05-11-2020, 02:03 AM
I hope Bertans is watching the MJ doc

"Winning has a price. And leadership has a price. So I pulled people along when they didn't want to be pulled. I challenged people when they don't want to be challenged. And I earned that right because my teammates came after me. They didn't endure all the things that I endured. Once you join the team, you live at a certain standard that I play the game, and I wasn't gonna take anything less. Now, if that means I have to go out there and get in your ass a little bit, then I did that. You ask all my teammates, the one thing about Michael Jordan was, he never asked me to do something that he didn't f—ing do. When people see this, they're gonna say, 'Well, he wasn't really a nice guy. He may have been a tyrant.' Well, that's you, because you never won anything. I wanted to win, but I wanted them to win and be a part of that as well. I don't have to do this. I'm only doing it because it is who I am. That's how I played the game. That was my mentality. If you don't want to play that, don't play that way.

-Michael Jordan"

lefty
05-11-2020, 02:28 AM
I hope Bertans is watching the MJ doc

[/I][/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

Yeah Jordan is a bit of a self centered bullshitter so lol at those quotes

Longlonglongtimelurk
05-11-2020, 04:26 AM
He was the alpha of alpha males, he talks the talk but damn straight he walked the walk. You can say what you want about him as a person but he sure knew how to lead and win.

dbestpro
05-11-2020, 07:51 AM
You can really see how this played out this year. Everyone is afraid to question Pop. There is no doubt that Pop has lost a step in his decision making. It was an inevitable disaster in coaching. The only way forward is for the assistant coaches to be more authoritative and risk Pop's wrath or do like they did with Tom Landry. Maybe, Manu is the guy we should have on the bench. Even as a player he was always fighting for the right play, the right call.

lefty
05-11-2020, 08:30 AM
He was the alpha of alpha males, he talks the talk but damn straight he walked the walk. You can say what you want about him as a person but he sure knew how to lead and win.

He wasn’t very Alpha when he cried to Stern about the Pistons

:lol Alpha

LCM
05-11-2020, 08:32 AM
CBS sports "The questions 'The Last Dance' doesn't ask about Michael Jordan's leadership." By James Herbert

..."Leadership is like ice cream," then assistant coach Jim Cleamons told me, "There are different styles, different brands, different flavors."

Kerr echoed that point on a recent podcast with The Ringer's Bill Simmons. After winning a championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003, he said, he told coach Gregg Popovich that "the difference between Michael and Tim (Duncan) is you always felt like you were playing with Tim, and there were times you were playing for Michael"

Jordan's teammates were "scared to death" of him, which was not the case for teammates of Duncan ... Kerr called the style shared by Duncan ... "equally as powerful, but just totally different ..."

Bertans is telling everyone, Pop is the Jordan of this franchise ... because he's won, he feels he can do or say anything he wants, act any way he wants, crawl in a guy's ass if he wants, and play less talented players on the floor then other players who are more talented and need the game experience because those players haven't completely gotten on his wavelength of "you are playing FOR me! I'm not here to help you be the best you, the raise your game, and we work WITH each other to achieve the championship. NO, you are here to fit my scheme, for my team, in my way!" ... and as long as Pop has the dinners and the community charity work and 5 rings and a 22 year playoff streak, who is going to tell Pop his shit actually stinks?? Living on his past success to justify the current failures, and not actually living what I thought was an aspect of "The Spurs Way" in that you earn what you get EVERY DAY, IN THAT DAY! The past is gone! What got it done yesterday may lead to your downfall today. That is why until players feel that this franchise is a franchise they can work and build WITH instead of FOR, there isn't going to be any success.

And after reading this article, what bothers me more than anything is that not even Tim as an assistant coach could make a dent in Pop's approach this past season. Pop needs to go ...

Trueblood
05-11-2020, 09:09 AM
[

Collins21
05-11-2020, 09:10 AM
CBS sports "The questions 'The Last Dance' doesn't ask about Michael Jordan's leadership." By James Herbert

..."Leadership is like ice cream," then assistant coach Jim Cleamons told me, "There are different styles, different brands, different flavors."

Kerr echoed that point on a recent podcast with The Ringer's Bill Simmons. After winning a championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003, he said, he told coach Gregg Popovich that "the difference between Michael and Tim (Duncan) is you always felt like you were playing with Tim, and there were times you were playing for Michael"

Jordan's teammates were "scared to death" of him, which was not the case for teammates of Duncan ... Kerr called the style shared by Duncan ... "equally as powerful, but just totally different ..."

Bertans is telling everyone, Pop is the Jordan of this franchise ... because he's won, he feels he can do or say anything he wants, act any way he wants, crawl in a guy's ass if he wants, and play less talented players on the floor then other players who are more talented and need the game experience because those players haven't completely gotten on his wavelength of "you are playing FOR me! I'm not here to help you be the best you, the raise your game, and we work WITH each other to achieve the championship. NO, you are here to fit my scheme, for my team, in my way!" ... and as long as Pop has the dinners and the community charity work and 5 rings and a 22 year playoff streak, who is going to tell Pop his shit actually stinks?? Living on his past success to justify the current failures, and not actually living what I thought was an aspect of "The Spurs Way" in that you earn what you get EVERY DAY, IN THAT DAY! The past is gone! What got it done yesterday may lead to your downfall today. That is why until players feel that this franchise is a franchise they can work and build WITH instead of FOR, there isn't going to be any success.

And after reading this article, what bothers me more than anything is that not even Tim as an assistant coach could make a dent in Pop's approach this past season. Pop needs to go ...

This is a bunch of soft BS my god man the dude was in the military and maybe his stubborn attitude could be better but he seems loyal to his guys and I'd rather have that than a Phil Jackson type who trashes his players in books after he leaves the team. Bertans is a shit player on a shit team. So when Forbes goes to a shit team and puts up empty numbers and he says that Pop was great is that going to change the perception. I'd like to hear what Kawhi thinks about Pop through all the bullshit I heard he still likes the guy. I'd take what Kawhi has to say over a scrub like Davis.

Trueblood
05-11-2020, 09:10 AM

You're right! We should let the players run the front office! Guys who have at least one year of college where most of there work was done for them obviously know more than people who have dedicated their professional lives to learning all the nuances of running a team. Why didn't anyone think of this before!!

Gibbz
05-11-2020, 09:15 AM
You know it's a shit team when Davis Bertans has free reign to do whatever he wants.

lefty
05-11-2020, 09:15 AM
You're right! We should let the players run the front office! Guys who have at least one year of college where most of there work was done for them obviously know more than people who have dedicated their professional lives to learning all the nuances of running a team. Why didn't anyone think of this before!!
Where did I say they should be running the FO?

I’m criticizing an extreme approach and you bring up another extreme approach

That’s not how it works lol

Trueblood
05-11-2020, 11:54 AM
Where did I say they should be running the FO?

I’m criticizing an extreme approach and you bring up another extreme approach

That’s not how it works lol

How is it extreme to expect employees to act like employees. People act like expecting players to be employees is some form a slavery. I'm a teacher, I don't expect my principal to listen to what I think about how the school is run no matter how good of a teacher I am. Players are employees that are paid to play, not to make decisions about the organization.

And for the record, Davis didn't say people don't have a say. He said that people have to be sure what they're saying is correct before they say it. How is that extreme? Expecting people who want to make suggestions to think and research before they speak. Novel concept. Having that standard will help save time talking about useless things that are a waste of time. Want to be heard? Do the leg work to make sure what your saying is factual and helpful.

I'm prior service military and I don't see anything wrong with this mentality. Go to work, did your job, think before you speak and only say something if it helps. Nothing extreme there, just effective. 5 championships prove it.

And I saw you also want to credit Timmy for the championships but I have to call shenanigans. You could make a case for the first 4 but that last one (the beautiful game) was a masterful piece of coaching and having all the right pieces. Pop isn't always my favorite person, but he's right for expecting people to know what they're talking about before coming to him.

Dallas and Washington have one championship between the two of them and people here are acting like they've solved the matrix.

Trueblood
05-11-2020, 11:54 AM
[

hooperflash
05-11-2020, 03:45 PM

C'mon Righty

TD 21
05-11-2020, 07:06 PM
The brainwashed apologists/casuals continue missing the point with this "what have the Wizards won?" nonsense.

This is about creating an atmosphere conducive to today's player and let's not pretend you can only win one way anyway. If that were true, such disparate personalities as Jordan and Duncan wouldn't have led dynasties.

Hey man how's your health?

Been a while since I read any of your post.

Hope you're social distancing. Stay safe from corona.

I'm good man, thanks for asking. How's yours?

I was gone for a while, but I've been posting semi regularly the past few weeks.

I am.

Dirks_Finale
05-11-2020, 07:56 PM
The brainwashed apologists/casuals continue missing the point with this "what have the Wizards won?" nonsense.

This is about creating an atmosphere conducive to today's player and let's not pretend you can only win one way anyway. If that were true, such disparate personalities as Jordan and Duncan wouldn't have led dynasties.

I was gone for a while, but I've been posting semi regularly the past few weeks.

I am.

I think what Pop did for 2 decades--getting talented players to buy into team ball, less touches and even bench roles, was truly amazing. But I agree with you guys that a different approach is now needed. Pop's shtick has run it's course.

apalisoc_9
05-11-2020, 08:06 PM
I think what Pop did for 2 decades--getting talented players to buy into team ball, less touches and even bench roles, was truly amazing. But I agree with you guys that a different approach is now needed. Pop's shtick has run it's course.

lol.

Did you think Pop had some sort of amazing scheme in the threepeats?

2003 Tim Duncan is the greatest superstar run i have personally seen. Tony was young, manu..robinson was old.

The spurs were a start studded team soon as Manu and Tony gained experience. From 04, 07 they pretty much played with three legitimate all stars and had some ridiculous role players.

apalisoc_9
05-11-2020, 08:09 PM

I am.

It's been so so. I'm fasting because of ramadan.

The lack of sports is killing me man.

And to add to the Bolded, just because the wizards are atrocious doesn't mean they're doing everything wrong. They're obviously doing something really well with Bertans otherwise he wouldn't be happy.

I don't get why it's so hard to admit that the organization screwed up and the biggest culprit is an antiquated cultural system that relies on "cultural knoweldge" instead of actual value in the basketball court.

Collins21
05-11-2020, 10:02 PM

And to add to the Bolded, just because the wizards are atrocious doesn't mean they're doing everything wrong. They're obviously doing something really well with Bertans otherwise he wouldn't be happy.

I don't get why it's so hard to admit that the organization screwed up and the biggest culprit is an antiquated cultural system that relies on "cultural knoweldge" instead of actual value in the basketball court.

So once again I'll ask this. Once Forbes goes to a shit team and he gets shit points but then he comes out and says the Pop is the greatest ill that make that true as well. I wouldn't mind moving on from Pop but dudes hate the dude because he's an alpha I just don't understand it.

objective
05-11-2020, 10:15 PM
Forbes is probably getting a 4 year deal with the Spurs.

slick'81
05-11-2020, 11:45 PM
Forbes is probably getting a 4 year deal with the Spurs.

as long as pop is calling the shots sure

Amuseddaysleeper
05-12-2020, 03:41 AM

Soccer is back this weekend in Germany and then EPL and la liga in June. I think it’s too early but at least they’ll be back.

Bojo
05-12-2020, 05:43 AM
Soccer is back this weekend in Germany and then EPL and la liga in June. I think it’s too early but at least they’ll be back.

I'm from Germany, and I have my doubts about the Bundesliga returning. 2nd tier club Dynamo Dresden has two cases, their whole team is quarantined now. So they can't play for at least two weeks and their games have to be postponed. Also, many clubs struggle with the hygiene concept the DFL (league association) established. A Hertha BSC Berlin defender livestreamed from the club's locker room, unveiling how massively any rules are getting ignored by the players. Just imagine a team full of Rudy Goberts. I feel like this might work for a week or two, but if there are cases in different teams (and if those do get reported at all), we're all at square one again.

Brazil
05-12-2020, 08:12 AM
"Another difference is San Antonio they were in the playoffs, well before I got there, 18 years in a row. Wizards been in and out. I think the difference might have been that mentality going into training camp," he said. "In San Antonio, we're not talking about going to the playoffs. We're talking about winning a championship on day one. The whole preparation is for winning a championship. And that's the mentality they've had for a long time."

:cry but but democracy.. :lol

lefty
05-12-2020, 08:48 AM
We're talking about winning a championship on day one. The whole preparation is for winning a championship. And that's the mentality they've had for a long time."

Too bad they don't seem to have that mentality anymore

Brazil
05-12-2020, 09:00 AM

:lol pick a line there mate. What Bertrans is saying the mentality is the same

sananspursfan21
05-12-2020, 09:21 AM
:lol And look where this “democracy” has gotten them

Brazil
05-12-2020, 09:24 AM
OP title should be Davis Bertrans says Wizards feel much like losers as oppose to the Spurs (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285568&page=3&p=10143284)

sananspursfan21
05-12-2020, 09:25 AM
I’ve yet to work for a company or organization that was a “democracy”. Did I weigh in? Sure. Did I feel my voice was heard, absolutely. But come on, you have to look at what the Wizards are and have been doing over the past decade.

jjktkk
05-12-2020, 10:13 AM
lol.

Did you think Pop had some sort of amazing scheme in the threepeats?

2003 Tim Duncan is the greatest superstar run i have personally seen. Tony was young, manu..robinson was old.

The spurs were a start studded team soon as Manu and Tony gained experience. From 04, 07 they pretty much played with three legitimate all stars and had some ridiculous role players.

Don't all sports dynasties have star players and "ridiculous role players"?

jjktkk
05-12-2020, 10:15 AM

Gee I wonder why? I sure don't recall you complaining this much during the championship years.

lefty
05-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Gee I wonder why? I sure don't recall you complaining this much during the championship years.

No, because back then Spurs had that championship mentality

Duh

Brazil
05-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Duh

Duh championship mentality in Bertrans words = dictatorship vs. wizard democracy... pick a line bro

r0drig0lac
05-12-2020, 11:42 AM
So once again I'll ask this. Once Forbes goes to a shit team and he gets shit points but then he comes out and says the Pop is the greatest ill that make that true as well. I wouldn't mind moving on from Pop but dudes hate the dude because he's an alpha I just don't understand it.

Don't worry, the only team that will give Forbes any chance in the NBA is Spurs / Pop.
When Pop is gone, this scrub will be out of the league quickly.

jjktkk
05-12-2020, 11:44 AM

Duh

Or maybe the Spurs had the big 3 and #2 back then. Duh

lefty
05-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Or maybe the Spurs had the big 3 and #2 back then. Duh
Well if they still had that championship mentality they wouldn't have traded Kawhi for a bag of chips and given contracts to Fatty Mills :lol

Duh

apalisoc_9
05-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Don't all sports dynasties have star players and "ridiculous role players"?

They do but their coaches certainly don't get the same praise as coach Pop.

jjktkk
05-12-2020, 03:26 PM
They do but their coaches certainly don't get the same praise as coach Pop.

They actually do, its just your hate for Pop kinda blinds you to the fact.

MultiTroll
05-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Well if they still had that championship mentality they wouldn't have traded Kawhi for a bag of chips and given contracts to Fatty Mills :lol

Duh
Are schtick and exstatic the same poster?

weebo
05-12-2020, 04:38 PM
Bunch of soft ass nigs around here. :lol

You wanna grow? Be better than you were yesterday?

Then don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone.

TD 21
05-12-2020, 06:10 PM

That's just the nonsense the media has sold the masses because of the lack of a stereotypical superstar/star to sell. The reality is, he lucked into Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Parker, for their personality just like he did their talent.

Also, don't confuse the "beautiful game" team with the entire Duncan era, when it was a mere segment of it. Aesthetically, this was very much a typical NBA team in his prime.

And to add to the Bolded,

just because the wizards are atrocious doesn't mean they're doing everything wrong. They're obviously doing something really well with Bertans otherwise he wouldn't be happy.

:tu

Multiple things can be true simultaneously. As I've said ad nauseam, nothing excuses Scumbag's behavior, which left them unable to get anywhere near the value they should have. But even had they changed with the times, he probably leaves anyway and either way, they probably fail to attract another superstar. Still, they didn't give themselves their best chance.

Bunch of soft ass nigs around here. :lol

You wanna grow? Be better than you were yesterday?

Then don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone.

Sounds nice . . . too bad the best players run the league and if a non glamour market, with a bad reputation among them, wants any chance to retain/attract them in the future, they better start playing ball.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Davis Bertans can take his lanky, no-rebounding, finger-missing ass and go suck my balls.

Never talk badly about the team that birthed you.

Dirks_Finale
05-12-2020, 06:37 PM
That's just the nonsense the media has sold the masses because of the lack of a stereotypical superstar/star to sell. The reality is, he lucked into Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Parker, for their personality just like he did their talent.

Also, don't confuse the "beautiful game" team with the entire Duncan era, when it was a mere segment of it. Aesthetically, this was very much a typical NBA team in his prime.

:tu

Multiple things can be true simultaneously. As I've said ad nauseam, nothing excuses Scumbag's behavior, which left them unable to get anywhere near the value they should have. But even had they changed with the times, he probably leaves anyway and either way, they probably fail to attract another superstar. Still, they didn't give themselves their best chance.

Sounds nice . . . too bad the best players run the league and if a non glamour market, with a bad reputation among them, wants any chance to retain/attract them in the future, they better start playing ball.

You don't think there is any vetting involved before future spurs come aboard?

TD 21
05-12-2020, 07:02 PM
You don't think there is any vetting involved before future spurs come aboard?

Sure, but what does that have to do with anything?

The reason they have a standard for what a Spur is, is because of the aforementioned players gave the organization the credibility to demand certain things that every other franchise in sports would have loved to have been able to do, but they didn't have those players to uphold it, while guaranteeing being an elite team in the process.

Dirks_Finale
05-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Sure, but what does that have to do with anything?

The reason they have a standard for what a Spur is, is because of the aforementioned players gave the organization the credibility to demand certain things that every other franchise in sports would have loved to have been able to do, but they didn't have those players to uphold it, while guaranteeing being an elite team in the process.

Well, all that being said, I do think CIA Pop is able to get a good gauge on players just by meeting with them...listening to their answers and reading their body language. Foundational standard in place or not, I think he can tell who's who.

Of course Kawhi turned on him, so I could be wrong.

SAGirl
05-12-2020, 07:41 PM
I’ve yet to work for a company or organization that was a “democracy”. Did I weigh in? Sure. Did I feel my voice was heard, absolutely. But come on, you have to look at what the Wizards are and have been doing over the past decade.
The best organizations at least gather feedback or have mechanisms in place for it. Do you get retaliated against and demoted bc you made a suggestion? Honestly? Are you afraid to speak out?

SAGirl
05-12-2020, 07:44 PM
Davis Bertans can take his lanky, no-rebounding, finger-missing ass and go suck my balls.

The truth hurts?

SAGirl
05-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Duh championship mentality in Bertrans words = dictatorship vs. wizard democracy... pick a line bro
The time Bertans was in the Spurs specially the time they needed minutes from him the Spurs weren't winning squat and probably benefited from the bottom teams in their conference getting injuries to significant players, the Mavs rebuilding, Grizzlies falling off etc.

Collins21
05-12-2020, 08:16 PM
The time Bertans was in the Spurs specially the time they needed minutes from him the Spurs weren't winning squat and probably benefited from the bottom teams in their conference getting injuries to significant players, the Mavs rebuilding, Grizzlies falling off etc.

Bullshit that Spurs team last year would mop the floor with this years Grizzlies and Mavericks. Stop hating and taking for bums. Davis had is chance is the Denver series not only did he get abused on defense he couldn't hit shots and was afraid to take shots at times. As much as y'all hate Forbes the reason why had so much leeway this season was because he was one of the only players in that series last year to show some heart and ball.

Brazil
05-13-2020, 08:06 AM

when you read the article Bertrans is actually not talking badly about the Spurs on the contrary but people likes bitching about bitching

Brazil
05-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Does not change anything about what is being discussed here.
Bertrans commented that Spurs are more or less a dictatorship focused on winning rings while wiz are more of a democracy focused on losing I suppose

SAGirl
05-13-2020, 09:55 AM
oooppps forgot the sensibilities of spurs fans tbh welcome back

SAGirl
05-13-2020, 09:56 AM
Does not change anything about what is being discussed here.
Bertrans commented that Spurs are more or less a dictatorship focused on winning rings while wiz are more of a democracy focused on losing I suppose
You know that is not what he said. I quoted it. I didn't make it up.

Collins21
05-13-2020, 09:57 AM
oooppps forgot the sensibilities of spurs fans tbh welcome back

Nah it has nothing to do with being sensitive. That's the first thing people go to when they're wrong about a topic.

SAGirl
05-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Forgot this can also get never ending which is not really for me. Lets make this 50 pages back and forth about the same thing right?

Brazil
05-13-2020, 12:05 PM
You know that is not what he said. I quoted it. I didn't make it up.

what did he say then ?

I have from the interview:

1) "I think the biggest difference is, probably, there might be a little bit more democracy in the Wizards than in San Antonio. Mostly, what Pop (Popovich) says that goes,"

Spurs = dictatorship
Wizard = democracy

2) "Another difference is San Antonio they were in the playoffs, well before I got there, 18 years in a row. Wizards been in and out. I think the difference might have been that mentality going into training camp," he said. "In San Antonio, we're not talking about going to the playoffs. We're talking about winning a championship on day one. The whole preparation is for winning a championship. And that's the mentality they've had for a long time."

Spurs = winning mentality
That winning winning mentality is a difference with wizards

Conclusion = Spurs is not a democracy, you don't disagree with pop and Spurs are about winning.. Wizards is more of a democracy and they don't have the winning mentality

the fact that the years Bertrans was playing for the Spurs they were winning squat and blah blah Dallas has nothing to do with that conclusion

Brazil
05-13-2020, 12:09 PM
Forgot this can also get never ending which is not really for me. Lets make this 50 pages back and forth about the same thing right?

:lol welcome to the internet

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-13-2020, 01:30 PM
when you read the article Bertrans is actually not talking badly about the Spurs on the contrary but people likes bitching about bitching

I was just messing around. I like Davis. I was sad when we lost him to try to acquire a head case.

lefty
05-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Conclusion : Duncan carried that backwards franchise

SAGirl
05-13-2020, 04:37 PM
:lol welcome to the internet
yea... same ol, nothing much going on.