PDA

View Full Version : I like GP and all....

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:04 AM
...but to hell with that dirty bastid Karl Malone. He got to play with a HOF guard his entire career and he didn't win jack. Now he's trying to piggyback on the Lakers and ride his way to a ring. F that.

David Robinson has 2 rings and he left the game on top with the team that drafted him. There's nothing sweeter than that.

DuffMcCartney
07-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Malone is nothing of what he was....if not for Kobe and Shaq he wouldnt have a chance in hell to win a ring.

TexasBlue13
07-11-2003, 12:12 AM
My theory...the Spurs beat the Bucks. They beat the Lakers. They beat the Jazz. Putting all the guys on one team...meaning they have to share...isn't going to be THAT much more of a challenge for an already deep and talented team. Yeah yeah, they're going to "break the 72-win record and cruise to the championship"...maybe I'll be totally wrong, but I don't buy it. They'll be good, but they won't walk on water.

DuffMcCartney
07-11-2003, 12:31 AM
I agree with Blue, everybody is so scared of them but I'm not. I'm not being cocky but I'm also not afraid.

gunawanspurs
07-11-2003, 01:25 AM
My takes :

Karl Malone & Gary Payton decision to forego the chacing and go for the BLING is understandable, and in my personal perspective, respectable.

If they do it by letting their ego aside, and working hard to fit into the team's structure, they'll be remembered as important contributors for the supposed winningful season the next.

Might not be the main dogs anymore, but DRob got his rings partially by riding TD's back, so there's no shame on that.

You WILL be remembered as a CHAMP and great player, not just merely a stat creating machine !

D Fish
07-11-2003, 01:31 AM
I think the only way to describe this season, is just being silent, and serious. Alot of teams are upgrading, and when it's all said and done, the Elite 4 teams could be something special. Not just any kind of special, but 80's ball hungry for a championship special.

As for the Eastern Conference; They should be fucking ashamed of themselves. They had an abundance of elite gaurds, and now three of them are moving to the West. Not only does the West have all the elite Bigs, but now they have most of the elite gaurds now. It's like the entire Eastern Conference is rebuilding and most of the teams in the West are mixing it up for a championship.

Admiral
07-11-2003, 01:56 AM
DRob got his rings partially by riding TD's back -gunawanspurs

Riding TD's back? You do remember David's defense in 1999, don't you? You do remember the fact that he was our leading rebounder and second-leading scorer in the Finals, don't you? Tim played great, but we would not have won in 1999 without David.

1999 NBA Finals

Game 1 - 13 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks
Game 2 - 16 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks, 4 assists
Game 3 - 25 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks
Game 4 - 14 points, 17 rebounds, 4 blocks
Game 5 - 15 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals

That's a pretty heroic performance if you ask me. Hardly riding anyone's coattails. In addition, if we had Webber this year instead of David, we wouldn't have won the title. He did an amazing job on Shaq. I believe baseline bum stated this very fact several weeks ago.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Robinson would retired with jack sh1t if not for Tim Duncan.

Malone was always "the man" on the Jazz.

He's entitled to try to win a ring elsewhere after an All-Star career.

You can't fault him for taking a paltry $1.5 million to give it a try.

:cooldevil

spurster
07-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Well, Tim Duncan wouldn't have two rings without David Robinson around, either.

It is utter BS to say that anybody is entitled to a ring. It's good to win one or more, but Malone will be the fourth best player on a team, hardly the same as winning one when you're the leader.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Get serious, spurster, Robinson was the second best player on the 1999 title team and the third best on the 2003 team.

If Robinson doesn't go down in 1996, we're a lottery team today and The Admiral is labelled soft and not good enough to be a part of a title team.

Malone is "entitled" to pursue his quest for a ring after years of loyal servitude to Utah.

He's taking a lousy $1.5 million to go for the ring.

Should he have just meandered around in Utah for the rest of his career?

Did it ever occur to you that him leaving helps Utah move forward, too?

Have some unbiased perspective.

bigzak25
07-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Let karl get chump change (NBA perspective) for a chance at a ring. Good for him.

It will be a very sweet sight to knock out LA again...at least Karl will have a good reason to cry.

spurster
07-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Get serious, spurster, Robinson was the second best player on the 1999 title team and the third best on the 2003 team.
Are you saying that Tim Duncan would have had two rings without David Robinson?

If Robinson doesn't go down in 1996, we're a lottery team today and The Admiral is labelled soft and not good enough to be a part of a title team.
This is the same old BS saying that your career is worthless unless you won the title. George Gervin never won a title, yet he is loved in San Antonio. When are we going to get our priorities straight and realize that Gervin was just a worthless bum?

The Spurs won one, and many Spurs fans are still complaining. It doesn't seem that winning the title is all that fulfilling to the whiners.

Malone is "entitled" to pursue his quest for a ring after years of loyal servitude to Utah.
I guess the NBA should set up a designated championship team every other year or so, so that we don't have poor, mistreated, broken-hearted stars retire without a ring.

Give me a break. These guys have been media stars and made millions playing a game. I can't generate much sympathy for them.

Uncle Donnie
07-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Malone played with the best PG in the league his entire damn career, on a team that always made him the man. I have no sympathy for him not getting it done. I hope he goes out like Barkley.

GP on the other hand, I can sympathize with. I just wish it wasn't the damn Lakers he pinned his hopes on.

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Here, Ghost:

Malone played with the best PG in the league his entire damn career, on a team that always made him the man. I have no sympathy for him not getting it done. I hope he goes out like Barkley.

Amen Uncle D. DRob never had anyone of Stockton's caliber to play with during 1989-96. Malone couldn't get it done despite that. Now Ghost the resident tool/DRob hater thinks Malone did something special. F'in idiot.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Archie, you poor S.O.B.

Malone made it to two Finals as the best player on his team.

Robinson made it to exactly none as the best player on his team.

If Malone wants to take $1.5 million to play a complementary role in pursuit of a title, that's his preoggative. He could've kept the Jazz treading water by re-signing and break Kareem's record instead. He's choosing to lay it all on the line for a ring.

Stop hating.

Find something else to b1tch about.

MadeFromDust
07-11-2003, 12:43 PM
One of the sad things is that if we had made Payton #1 instead of Kidd, he would have come to SA. He was just so happy that LA wanted him. And that would also mean that Malone would have most likely stayed in Utah since he needed GP to commit before he went to La La Land. GP would have been glad to come to the Spurs. He said so when he was about to leave the Sonics earlier this season. He said he hopes the Spurs come after him. Oh boy.

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:45 PM
WTF? Do you not read, Ghost? DRob never had a Hall of Fame guard to play with in 1989-96 like Malone did for his entire fucking career up until now. I didn't realize that you held AJ in such high regard.

Uncle Donnie
07-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Malone made it to two Finals as the best player on his team.

Put Stockton on the Spurs and you don't think Robinson could have done the same thing? Get real.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 12:51 PM
What's your f'n point?

What do you wnat Malone to do?

Re-sign with the Jazz, keep them from progressing, and have him bever win a title?

Archie, you're a miserable poor sport.

Sorry, but Malone did what was best for him and the Jazz.

You poke fun at him for never winning a ring, while Robinson need Duncan to get him his titles.

Grow up.

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Shut up tool. You hate on the Spurs all the damn time and you offer no intelligent analysis whatsoever when it comes to this team. Become a Laker fan already.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
:cry "Casper has exposed me for the miserbale crank I am and came back with nothing I can refute, so let me get all mad like the little b1tch I am." — Archie

Malone is doing the right thing for him and the Jazz.

How you can have a problem with that now, too, is pathetic.

Archie
07-11-2003, 02:33 PM
You wish, Ghost. No one respects your knowledge lite-takes at all in this forum. I've yet to see you even attempt to answer a question on the cap. Or figure out the Spurs cap figure. You bring nothing to this forum. Everyone else laughs at your ass. I can't blame them. They've seen what I knew from the beginning.

DreamShake
07-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Archie, you poor misguided grasshopper...

Malone just had the ill luck to play against fricking Michael Jordan in the two finals he carried his team to. If Duncan and Robinson had made it to the Finals against those Bulls squads instead of the Knicks and Nets, would Robinson have two rings?

Say it with me now: NO.

There are far more variables in play when judging a player's career than your poor mind will ever comprehend, so just STFU and go play with your Duncan bobblehead. Malone has twice the heart and desire that Mr. "It's Just a Game" Robinson ever did.

GhostWriter has it right.

Morphgizmo
07-11-2003, 02:59 PM
*bump*

Archie
07-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Well well well if it isn't my #1 fan. Yeah, DRob had a Vinny Del Negro to count on in that backcourt. Yeah.

DRob had some shit supporting casts he was expected to carry to a tile.

Never once did he have any teammate of the caliber of John Stockton, clown.

Go look it up.

DreamShake
07-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Poor Archie once again miserably misses the point: it's not just who is on your team, it's who your playing against!

Yes, Robinson didn't have a Stockton-caliber player and good supporting cast during the era Malone did. However, Malone never had a Duncan-caliber player and good supporting cast during the era Robinson did!

Robinson lucked out with an injury to get a superstar at the right time...the post-Jordan era. It boils down to this:

Robinson + Stockton < MJ + Pippen
Malone + Duncan > Kidd + Martin > Sprewell + Houston

You swap the teams Robinson and Malone played on, and Malone has the two rings. Got it??

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Archie, stick to the topic our stick it up your @ss.

If Duncan never came, you would've held it againt Robinson if he decided to spen his final couple years chasing a title on a championship contender.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

adidas11
07-11-2003, 03:17 PM
It's sickening how people can fault Malone for wanting to go to another team to give himself a chance at a ring. Yet:

1) These same people would not be bitching if Malone came to San Antonio, and

2) The same people would care less about other run of the mill role players joining the Lakers as well. Malone is getting grief because he was once a superstar. That is just awful. The man has given his all to the Jazz, and to the NBA. He just wants one more realistic shot to win the title, no fault in that.

Where were all the people who are bitching when Kevin Willis decided to play for San Antonio last year, even though he had never won a championship before that???

QUESTION.

Archie
07-11-2003, 03:19 PM
DickShake, stick to your point. You said DRob never carried a team by himself and I pointed out that Malone never had to do that.

GW, shut up.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Archie wanted Malone for his Plan D. He's just bitter and needs to vent.

Archie
07-11-2003, 03:21 PM
No I didn't. It was Payton and Miller.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 03:23 PM
My bad, Arch.

I just don't know why you hate on Malone so much.

Robinson wanted him to join the Spurs. So did Pop.

adidas11
07-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Question.

Is Archie = MarcusBryant?

Archie
07-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Question.

Is adidas = shoe?

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Archie = MarcusBryant = SpursFan

His enganging personality and winning smile didn't shine through?

DreamShake
07-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Oh well...I tried.

Archie...very slowly now...neither Robinson nor Malone would have been good enough to beat MJ + Pippen + Rodman + Kukoc.

Neither Robinson nor Malone will ever have the prestige of leading a team to a championship.

It's just as easy to say that Robinson "piggybacked" on Duncan as is it would be to say that Malone "piggybacked" on the Lakers. Malone, in his prime, had the help to take his team to the finals, but had to play an almost invincible Bulls squad. Robinson happened to pick a couple of rings as a second and third option in the latter stages of his career. Now if Robinson had actually played like the MVP instead of Dream's biatch in a certain WCF, the story might be different...

Your Malone-bashing is just flat out stupid.

Archie
07-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Without DRob's play in 1999 there is no way the Spurs win a championship. To argue otherwise is stupidity.

Ghost Writer
07-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Robinson was never as vital as Duncan in either title run.

Malone was always the best player on his team.

If Duncan never joined the Spurs and Robinson decided to pursue a ring elsewhere at the end of his career, you'd be disgusted by that, too?

That's a shame.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 01:37 PM
Wow. Suddenly DRob had a hall of fame guard to play with during his first 8 seasons in the league. I never realized that before.

Without DRob there is no '99 championship. As for 2003 he gave the Spurs what they needed at the 5 versus LA.

Ghost Writer
07-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Stop dodging the Question.

If Duncan never came here, Robinson never wins a ring with us.

Would you have faulted The admiral for taking $1.5 million to win a ring elsewhere in the twilight of his career?

Question.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 12:50 PM
That's not the question and you've dodged the most questions ever in this forum and the old one so you can shut up about that.

When did DRob ever have a player of Stockton's caliber as a teammate from 1989-96?

That's the question.

At least DRob can win a title when he gets real help.

And don't tell me he had nothing to do with that 1999 title. That's patently absurd.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Stockton was always second banana to Malone.

Robinson was always second banana to Duncan.

Figure it out.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Yeah, DRob at the end of his career and he took a backseat. Anyways, please remind me how many championships Malone won in Utah. And let's not forget that Malone played with one of the best, if not the best, point guards EVER in the history of the game for the first 17 years of his career.

Stop acting like DRob played with Duncan for his entire career. He didn't.

And before I forget DRob didn't have some hall of fame bigman watching his back during his first 7 years in the league.

DreamShake
07-16-2003, 11:03 AM
At least DRob can win a title when he gets real help.

-Archie

No, no, NO! The correct statement is: "At least DRob can win a title when he gets real help and plays the '99 Knicks and '03 Nets in the Finals."

You can replace "DRob" with "Malone" in that sentence, and it's still valid.

Now consider: "Malone cannot win a title against Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and Toni Kukoc, even with the help of another great player."

Replace "DRob" with "Malone", and that also holds.

Point is neither Robinson nor Malone ever led his team to a championship. Malone came closer b/c of a better supporting cast during his prime, but still no cigar.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Malone led his team to two Finals appearances. Robinson didn't.

Robinson won his titles with Duncan being the best player on his team.

Malone was never afforded that luxury.

How can you fault Malone for toiling in Utah for about 15 years and deciding to win a ring elsewhere for the verteran's minimum?

Question.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Malone led his team to two Finals appearances with John fucking Stockton. When did DRob ever have a guard like that in San Antonio during his prime?

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:16 AM
So you think Malone should've beaten Jordan's Bulls one of those two times in the Finals, but Robinson gets a pass.

That's pathetic.

Malone is letting the Jazz move on and is accpeting a league minium salary to take a back seat like Robinson did and win a title.

Robinson wanted Malone to come to the Spurs, screwball!

How can you fault Malone for toiling in Utah for about 15 years and deciding to win a ring elsewhere for the verteran's minimum?

Question.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Let's see Ghost, if Malone was to that point 'the best power forward ever in the history of the game' and likewise for Stockton at point then perhaps they should have taken out the Bulls.

Again, name for me the best guard that David Robinson had as a teammate from 1989-96.

Malone's piggybacking to get a ring now is lame. Hope it blows up right in his face.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't give a damn who the best guard Robinson ever played with. He never led his team to the Finals like Malone did.

Now you expect Malone to have defeated Jordan's Bulls because he had the PG from Gonzaga?

Robinson piggybacked Duncan to win his titles.

The only difference is that he got paid $10.5 million to do so.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 11:30 AM
I don't give a damn who the best guard Robinson ever played with. He never led his team to the Finals like Malone did.

Are you really this dense? ****, how do I have to phrase it so you can understand?

Ok...David Robinson never had a John Stockton to "lead" to the NBA Finals.

Maybe you'll get it....eventually.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:33 AM

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 11:34 AM

Now that is just ignorant.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Why?

Malone is taking $1.5 million to play for a ring.

How is that a bad thing?

Question.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Because look at the damn team that he is joining. It's not like he is going to the Mavericks where he would be a difference maker he is going to the damn Lakers and he only did so with the stipulation that they get GP to go too.

It's pussified.

There is no comparison of this to David Robinson. You've hated DRob forever so I'm not surprised to see you all over Malone's nuts right now.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:41 AM
So basically, you are just mad that Malone is joining the hated Lakers, which seems like the easy route to you.

Too bad your superhero Robinson lobbied for Malone to join the Spurs this offseason himself.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Basically I am saying that Malone is taking a cheap route to a ring and that you are totally misrepresenting what DRob had to work with before Duncan joined.

I never realized you thought so highly of Avery Johnson.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Fine, tehn.

I disagree. I think Malone labored enough in Utah and with his Hall of Famer partner retiring, is entitled to pursue a ring elsewhere especially since he is settling for the league veteran's minimum.

We can agree to disagree.

effthelakers
07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Dude you cant be that dumb,
Robinson=1 hall of Famer

Stockton+ Malone= 2 hall of famers

My 90 year old grandma could understand that and she doesnt even know her own name

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 11:54 AM
effthelakers, go "eff" yourself.

You've joined the conversation late and it shows.

We're beyond that. Just keep in mind that Robinson would've had to resort to playing elsewhere to win a ring if Duncan never came — that is if winning the NBA title was worth accpeting a $1.5 million salary to him.