PDA

View Full Version : Nesterovic isn't that bad.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:06 PM
What matters is how he fits in with the team. From an offensive perspective he's great. He's fleetfooted for a center with a good J, can put the ball on the floor, will fight for offensive boards, and has good hands. He's going to be a great fit for TD's post game.

Defensively he's certainly not a top post defender. I rate him as below average but he does block shots. But that doesn't mean he's worthless on D. His quickness and size make him useful whenever the Spurs play any version of a zone D. Also, if TD takes on the top defensive assignment then Rasho will be very effective coming from the weakside.

I think that Pop wants to play a more 'Euro-style' offense with all 5 players being triple-threats. Nesterovic fits right in with that.

You can't have an All-Star at every position. What you can have are quality role players whose skills complement your stars' skills the best.

The key now is for the Spurs to add a consistent scoring swingman. That way your 'Top 3' are TD/TP/Scoring Guard.

What Spurs fans should understand is that they have been spoiled by having two future Hall of Fame bigmen on their favorite team. It's time to accept that times change and move on.

Before I forget, many of you have complained about the Spurs' post-oriented offense. Pop is obviously doing what he can to change that and create a more well-rounded threat. Nesterovic is a piece to that puzzle.

Whottt
07-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Me personally I like the Spurs post oriented offense..I just didn't like the inability of our perimeter guys to be effective in it VS the Lakers..but we fixed that problem and sure enough we won a title.

Rasho isn't that bad and truth be told he's got a very difficult job in front of him replacing the Admiral.

I don't care what 7 footer we get, they are going to look sluggish and unathletic even compared to a 38 year old DROB..DROB still made Duncan look unathletic at times.

But no coming away with Rasho isn't going to be enough. If we can get Brand or Odom we could start either Odom or Duncan or Brand at SF.....man that is a sweet young frontline...and when you pair them with our young and talented guards who have championship and high pressure experience..including knocking off the 3 time defending champs...we got to get this done. It's just that simple.

Think about it...a defending champion returning 3 or 4 players to a starting lineup in which the oldest starter is 28 and that has an average age of 25...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 02:19 PM
I look at it like this:

Zo and his kidneys: 4.9 million

PJ Brown: 8 million

Kandi: looks to be 8-10 million range when he gets done with Jerry West

So we got our DRob replacement for 6 mil? Bargain.

AHF

exstatic
07-15-2003, 02:20 PM
^^^^RACK THAT!

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Rasho at 6 mill >>>>>>> Kandi at 10 mill+PJ Brown 8 mill

ChumpDumper
Hey, we stole the starting center from a division rival for less money than they were offerring.

Damn.

Ghost Writer
I don't think we need a swingman. We got Jackson and that Ginobili guy still, right?

I think now it's essential to upgrade Bowen to Odom. Odom's 6'10 body will give us additional post presence sice Nesterovic is not the stoutest of defenders.

And MarcusBryant continues to dismiss the real reason the Spurs are high on Nesterovic — he scores without dominating the post, because he has a reliable 10-15 foot jumper and plays a Robinson-esque face-up offensive game.

Nesterovic, even though he's not the sexy star we all coveted, is a nice replacement for Robinson of the Twin Towers Era.

That much we can agree on.

:cooldevil

Admiral
07-15-2003, 02:23 PM
So is Rasho's contract backloaded?

I'm a bit disappointed that he's our only acquisition thus far, but given the circumstances we did great. I would probably rather pay Rasho $6.5 million or so per year than P.J. Brown $10 million per (at age 33, on a four or five-year deal).

Good job, Pop and R.C. Now let's get Brand.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing:

Shaq has to deal with the Twin Towers some more, AND Minny doesn't have a center anymore, unless you count Loren Woods. :rollin

AHF

Jimcs50
Glad to see that I am not the only one happy with this acquisition.

Solid D
He's pretty good at all three facets of the game: Offensive, Defensive and Specialty Teams....

Ooooops, sorry that's football...my bad.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Ghost spews:

And MarcusBryant continues to dismiss the real reason the Spurs are high on Nesterovic — he scores without dominating the post, because he has a reliable 10-15 foot jumper and plays a Robinson-esque face-up offensive game.

Yet in my original post I said:

What matters is how he fits in with the team. From an offensive perspective he's great. He's fleetfooted for a center with a good J, can put the ball on the floor, will fight for offensive boards, and has good hands. He's going to be a great fit for TD's post game.

Not only can Ghost not post a decent take, he can't read.

Bounce580
07-15-2003, 02:25 PM
We got a little better, and made a division rival a lot worse. Pretty good deal.

exstatic
07-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Admiral - Almost all contracts are "backloaded". If you do the math, and start him at $6M, adding $600K every year for 6 years, you will hit the total figure. The average is misleading, because it does start so low.

Shelly
07-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Quoteth my 10 year old..

"He can't guard Shaq!"

Admiral
07-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks ex, that's what I thought.

picnroll
07-15-2003, 02:31 PM
On D the only thing that Rasho doesn't give us is the man on D against the bangers. We can still play our channeling to baseline D for the smaller players because Nesterovic can block, he can rotate. The one that saves TP and, when he gambles, Manu's ass. He's quick enough to jump the pick and get back. He'll work hard. He won't replace DR and if that's how you measure him you won't be happy. But face it on his good days, when he wasn't stiff, a broken down 37 yo DR played better, smarter D than Duncan.

On O Rasho will be a significant upgrade from DR. Better hands. Better outside shot. Even better in the low post. Watching some Minny games it was impressive how well Rasho moved off the ball and worked with KG. High low TD and Rasho is going to be sweet.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 02:32 PM
I'm hugely disappointed in the signing, but it being a 6 year, 45 million dollar deal at least allows the Spurs to offer max to Brand or Odom if the cap comes in at a little over $42.2 or so.

Bad signing and I hope the next one makes up for it.

Whottt
07-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Base would you rather Olo?

KoriEllis
07-15-2003, 02:33 PM
I still don't like Rasho, but he fills a need and he came relatively cheap. (Note to Spurs Fans: You bitched when Malik got a similar contract, but it's okay for Rasho?)

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
"He can't guard Shaq!"

WTF can????

WTF can guard Tim???

My point is, we can not find any one player than can guard Shaq, we have to play him the way we always played him, by commitee, just as everyone else has to do with Tim.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Once we see what Pop puts together on the floor get back to me on this being a "bad signing."

-MB

Whottt
07-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Rasho by himself doesn't sound that spectacular, but if we do end up getting Brand or Odom...this offseason is going to start looking pretty damn good...better than just picking up Kidd, O'Neal, or Brand by themselves.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 02:36 PM
base,

Compare signing him to the relative costs of Zo, PJ, and Kandi.

This kid's a bargain. And we stick it to Minny, who was looking decidedly better considering their recent trade. Now Cassell might have to play center.

AHF

Shelly
07-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Jim--he's 10! Give him a break! :)

GrandeDavid
07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Admiral, we're also going to re-acquire Tim Duncan and hopefully Kevin Willis, Stephen Jackson, maybe Steve Kerr. We just won the championship. Let's see if the current mix can actually improve on last season's performance. Also, the Spurs just may pull off a coup and get Brand. Who knows! But the Spurs are acquiring about all they need to in the above mentioned players + Nesterovic.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Shelly, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. If he makes a comment, he has to be willing to accept a retort. :)

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 02:43 PM
I wonder if people will still consider him a good signing when he's being torn apart by Shaq in the playoffs? Shaq is the only reason to spend on a center - otherwise, the Spurs are better off with Malik and spending their money to add some scoring on the perimeter.

gospurs21
07-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Last time we won as a TEAM. If this guys can come in learn the TEAM defense, provide 8-10pts 8-10rbs 1-2blk and be a defensive presense, at the price quoted, then this IS good for our TEAM.

Go Spurs...

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 02:46 PM
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Yeah Rasho cant improve, hes only gonna get worse,
he wont learn some things from Pop and others.

Good lord guys give the guy a chance.

I like his game and he will improve and will get better.

Solid D
07-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Now Cassell might have to play center. - AHF

:rollin

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/gregg_popovich.jpg
"You're good people, AHF!"

Whottt
07-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Base, he gets torn less by Shaq than Olo does...and we still have money for perimeter players.

Don't get me wrong...Rasho < LaFrenz..but if picking him up comes along with Odom or Brand he starts looking pretty damn good.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Marcus, Nesterovic's face-up game is what makes him most attractive to the Spurs.

I'm surprised you endorse this signing. Replacing Robinson was never a priority for you.

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Give me a break

Nesterovic is way better than Lafrentzy come ON!!!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 02:52 PM
So baseline,

Are you expecting 6'5" Malik Rose to go all 48 minutes? Willis to backup both he and Tim?

You don't stop Shaq, you wear on him.

I find it ironic that someone would crack on Rasho about being able to bang with Shaq when he posted just about the exact same numbers vs. LA as our beloved David Robinson.

Rasho vs LA

7 points, 5 boards, .67 blocks, .500 FG

David vs LA

5.8 points, 5.7 boards, .6 blocks, 47% FG

Yeah, how will we ever get by? :(

The dude ain't a world beater, but for 5.5 million starting he's a bargain value big man IMO (and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like the guy).

AHF

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Ghost, you're slipping man.

I said that Pop is looking to have a lineup in which all players are "triple threats." It's not surprising that you haven't a clue what that means.

I don't see how my take on Nesterovic conflicts with my assessment of the Spurs' strategy. They still have max cap room to give TD a second star or to add a consistent perimeter scorer.

Whottt
07-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Maybe for the money Rasho is better TPark, but overall talent? Nope, LaFrenz is better..Better shooter, better defender, better shotblocker, better rebounder.

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 02:54 PM
good lord........

Lafrentz

the same guy who got bitch slapped by malik Rose???!?!!?!?

Rasho will suprise you whott, dudes got serious game and hasnt even been tapped yet.

Whottt
07-15-2003, 02:56 PM
AHF...those numbers against LA are misleading...

For instance..in game 1 VS LA..Shaq was 2-9 against DROB including an ofer in the first half...8-11 VS Duncan and Malik.

You under-rate what David did..but that's ok, you'll see what I mean the next time we play LA..And BTW Dave scored less because he wasn't asked to be a big part of our offense.

Edit: I hope you are right TPark...I have seen both of them play by the way, many times..I do think LaFrenz is better...sure he looks like he is halfassing it a lot of the time..but that's a white center thing 8) they all do that, including Rasho.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Marcus, I didn't realize "triple threats" implied a face-to-the-basket game. Way to embellish after the fact.

Anyway, I take issue with you thinking that a talented swingman is the way to go.

I prefer Odom to a shooting guard.

Unless by definition "swingman" meant small forward, too.

In that case, Odom fits the bill.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Here's a question: what great defensive bigman was available who can stop Shaq? Olowokandi? Shaq dropped his career high of 60+ points on him. Damn.

I am glad that I will never have to see Olowokandi's lame ass attempt to do something with the rock on offense.

spurster
07-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Nesterovic isn't that bad.
Nesterovic isn't that good either.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Oh, great. Now Marcus pushed for a startable center all along.

Incredulous.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 03:03 PM
I never said I did. Does that mean I can't comment on it?

How old are you? You are calling people "nerds" and now you say I can't comment on something because I didn't 'support it.'

Grow up.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Swingman = 2-3 combo player

I wanted Maggette, but Odom will do....also I would like to look into Abdur Rahim...any chances there?

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey, Marucs. Just giving you a taste of your own medicine, son.

Someone commented that adding Nesterovic also subtracts from the Wolves, which is nice, too.

Nesterovic can draw Shaq from the basket.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Whatever Whott,

You pretend like there's a young David Robinson out there waiting to grace us with his damn presence.

Maybe for the money Rasho is better TPark, but overall talent? Nope, LaFrenz is better..Better shooter, better defender, better shotblocker, better rebounder.

:rollin

2002-2003 stats:

Rasho

11.2 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.5 APG, 1.51 BPG, 52% FG, 64% FT

Lafrentz

9.3 PPG, 4.8 RPG, .8 APG, 1.32 BPG, 51% FG, 68% FT

Care to revise that statement? Especially when LaFrentz is making more than Rasho?

Does the whole factor of reality even factor in to your bitching and moaning? Christ.

Our options were:

PJ, Zo, Kandi, Rasho, or Miller.

PJ - 8 million
ZO - bad kidneys, went with Kidd, 5 mil
Kandi - gonna be up around 10 mil
Miller - not prying away from Indy for anything less than 8 or 9 million, and he's a softer defender than Rasho

So that leaves Rasho. And we got him for just above the MLE.

Quit your fucking bitching, or at least interject some perspective into your whining.

AHF

timvp
07-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Hopefully Pop knows what he's doing with Rasho. I haven't too impressed with him the many times I've seen him play.

At least he shoots for a high percentage, is mobile for a seven footer and won't get in Duncan's way.

8o

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 03:09 PM
At least he shoots for a high percentage, is mobile for a seven footer and won't get in Duncan's way.

That's the concept.

o0drpill0o
07-15-2003, 03:11 PM
The important part is we got a starter at the five with enough money left over to offer someone else (namely Brand, then Odom) a MAX deal.

Rasho is okay, and Pop can make him better. He is coming here because he wants to play for Popovich, and that means to me he will be willing to put in the effort and do what he is asked.

I think we got a steal. Another one.

Whottt
07-15-2003, 03:18 PM
AHF..why the intellectual dishonesty?

If you bothered to look up those stats you know that Raef is younger than Rasho, played 7 fewer minutes pg than Rasho this season..

and LaFrenz has better career highs and averages in scoring, rebounding, blocks, steals and assists, not to mention 3 pt PCT.

For the money..sure Rasho is probably a better deal, but as far as overall talent, LaFrenz has shown a lot more..

And I never said there is a replacement for Big Dave..only that Rasho does not do the defensive job on Shaq that DROB did.

It's ok, if you wanna be that way, but you are only fooling yourself here. I am not hating on Rasho, but why make him out to be more than he is? It isn't fair to him or us.

genghisrex
07-15-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm not a big Nesterovic fan, but $6 million or so starting for a second tier center is not a bad deal. Rasho keeps us at around the level we were last year, which puts us in a better position to gamble on Brand or Odom and wait out the Clippers.

I think Rasho gives us a center who's better or roughly on par with his counterpart on every contender outside of the Lakers. Unfortunately Nesterovic can't guard Shaq, but, then, Malone can't guard Timmy either. At worst I think Duncan/Rasho/Malik/Willis can play Shaq/Malone/Crap to a standstill. The Kobe/Payton backcourt could be a real problem, but unless we nabbed Jermaine, that's not something we could have offset with a 4/5 this offseason anyway.

The Spurs got Tim a complementary big, fucked the T'Wolves, and still preserved 25% max cap room. I don't see the problem here...

KoriEllis
07-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Johnny Ludden reported the contract is $42M -- that means it starts around $5.45M. If so, that is perfect for making a run at Brand/Odom.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2003, 03:27 PM
played 7 fewer minutes pg than Rasho this season.
Because he sucked so bad.

He lost major time to guys like Najera due to sucking.

Rasho has lapses - Raef took the entire season off.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Under $5 and a half million a year for a starting quality center at Rasho's age and potential level is a more than a bargain — it's a steal.

There.

A positive post from Ghost Writer.

And they said it couldn't be done.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Whott,

Who's being intellectually dishonest?

As I said, ground your arguments in reality. We need a big man to bang inside and get boards, get in people's way on defense.

You are whining about a 6'11" whiteboy who likes to jack three pointers and hang out around the arc.

Hmm, which fits our needs more? A banger or a younger Danny Ferry?

Think man, you're making this too easy.

AHF

picnroll
07-15-2003, 03:31 PM
If Brand does come it means in all likelihood Malik goes. The value of post players in this market you cold probably get a very nice swing player for Malik.

Morphgizmo
07-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Agreed pic.

If Brand comes, then Malik gets moved for a backup point.

o0drpill0o
07-15-2003, 03:36 PM
I could deal with that. We'd send him someplace nice I'm sure.

Spurminator
07-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Raef inflated his career highs as a member of the Nuggets. Put Rasho on that team for a few years and his career numbers will look pretty decent too.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 03:41 PM
If Rose was dealt he would be sent out for a perimeter scorer, not a backup point.

o0drpill0o
07-15-2003, 03:43 PM
And those perimeter scorers are easier to find, of course. We could trade Malik anywhere and get a quality 2/3 in return IMO.

Morphgizmo
07-15-2003, 03:47 PM
To replace who, MB? We'll still have (hopefully) Bowen, Jax and Manu.

Speedy looks like he's gone, so we'll need a backup PG.

scott
07-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Malik Rose, Bruce Bowen, Luis Scola and Phoenix's number 1 for Desmond Mason?

Morphgizmo
07-15-2003, 03:51 PM
I like it, scott.

But who backs up TP? Kerr?

o0drpill0o
07-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Leave Bowen out of there and you got a deal.

Morphgizmo
07-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Wilwaukee would have to send back more salary than just Mason.

He's still on his rookie deal.

picnroll
07-15-2003, 03:54 PM
If it all played out and you wanted to role the dice you could get one of Ghosts favorites Artest. His salary and Malik's match up.

scott
07-15-2003, 03:58 PM
I hate to lose Bowen (as well as Rose, one of my all time fave Spurs) too because of his D- but there is no room for him if we brought in Mason.

We could run this roation:

PG: Parker 35, Manu 5, Kerr 5, Devin Brown 3
SG: Mason 22, Manu 23, Brown 3
SF: Jackson 32, Mason 13, Manu 3
PF: Brand 35, Rasho 13
C : Duncan 35, Rasho 13

Minute Breakdown:

Parker 35
Manu 31
Mason 35
Jackson 32
Kerr 5
Brown 6
Brand 35
Duncan 35
Rasho 26

Marcus Bryant
I doubt the Bucks deal Mason for anything other than like talent. He's their franchise player now.

o0drpill0o
I think I would look elsewhere before Artest, but it just goes to show how many options the Spurs would have. It could be tough this year finding minutes for all the talent we may have.

scott
07-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Gotta agree with MB though- no way we could give up Mason without giving up Parker, and even that would be iffy since they are putting the future in TJ Ford's hands.

Its fun to play NBA Live 2003 GM every now and then though.

Gotta admit, that would be a killer line up though.

ShoogarBear
07-15-2003, 06:00 PM
64% FT?

Now I know why we went after him. He's a natural Spur.

Is this a horrible signing? No. He's serviceable and hopefully it'll work out.

But be honest, people, you're all rationalizing. Deep down we all know this is a disappointment.

Let me see somebody state that two weeks ago, Rasho was among anybody here's top 3-4 most desired FA.

Solid D
07-15-2003, 06:07 PM
You deal with disappointments and you move on. Chris Webber, Derek Anderson = temporary disappointment.
David Robinson, Kerr and Smitty instead...chemistry and talent blended to work within the system...a lasting memory...
moments to remember...disappointments that fade.

So, you just deal with it and sometimes, what seems a missed opportunity ends up smelling like Championship Roses.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 06:11 PM
The revelation that the deal is for $42 vs $48 million combined with the news of the cap coming in way higher than I ever hoped even makes this much easier to swallow. I still think he's a freaking creampuff and he's not the answer at the 5 at all, but we still have room to try for Brand or Odom. If I'm the Spurs I make that same offer to Odom that the LA Times has them making to Brand. There's no risk in signing players to offer sheets now, because the cream of the unrestricted crop is off the market with the exception of Arenas, who I don't want.

****! We could have offered Payton $12 million and kept him out of LA!

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:15 PM
**** LA, bbum. Once this summer is over Malone's stunt is going to look foolish.

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 06:28 PM
LMAO.. after reading the Nesterovic homer thread, I feel like throwing up...

Years, seasons, shutdown modes all for this summer and we come up with fucking Nestorovic..???????????

Someone should be pay for this with a Spear right in their azz.

You have to be fucking kidding me. All of the trades turned down to hopefully guarantee success years ago, just to wait for the Holting Pattern and we get fucking Nesterovic????

I am not impressed. But, honestly I never have been.

Duncan and Robinson were drafted 1st.. How can you **** that up? Thank God a Dumb Azz could have drafted them #1 or we would screw that up too.

Nesterovic SUCKS!

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Relax Sequ. See the forest not just the tall European white pine.

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Does he suck like

Manure, Stephen jackson and Malik Rose??

If so, this guy will be good!!! :hat2

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 06:35 PM
We're not done yet, Sequ.

Since Nesterovic is from Slovenia, can Popovich speak to him in his native tongue? Seriously. I remember reading that Popovich was fluent in Russian.

SpursWoman
07-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Pretty soon Pop will be looking like Nelson in that AMEX commerical. French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese.....now Russian.......Pop can curse at Rasho from the sidelines and no one will know WTF he's talking about.

coo' :fro

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 06:39 PM
It should be noted that Flip Saunders never played Nesterovic for more than 30 MPG for a season.

I suspect his numbers will increase given 5-10 more minutes per game this season.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:40 PM
It depends, Ghost.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm with you if we can't land Odom or Brand, Sequ. Rasho is a scrub.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Depends on what? How he does in practice or if he stays out of foul trouble?

Popovich and Nesterovic have some sort of Euro-flavored mutal admiration going on.

I don't think Rasho is in here to be coddled like Saunders did to the young big man.

He's our center, dammit.

I say play him for 35-40 and see what happens.

timvp
07-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Don't forget the fact that Malik can form a very good one two punch with Rasho.

1) They are polar opposite type players.

2) Rasho can play around 30 MPG, which gives Malik about 28 minutes at C and PF.

3) Malik and the rest of the crew will cheer on Rasho instead of trying to bite his head off. (See: Garnett, Kevin)

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:49 PM
True, timvp. Depending on who the Spurs' opponent is the Spurs can either go with the finesse game or with the muscle.

Are you starting to sip that wine, timvp? :drunk

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 06:50 PM
We need to start the DizzG Espy Awards... Damn, you all are starting to turn Nesterovic into a future allstar and hall of famer. :lol

We go from David Robinson, who could at any mo foing time put up 20 and 15 to N E SSSSTTTTTerovic????????

And you all are totally brainwashed and convinced that this is okay... :rollin

Holy shit!

Are you all kidding me?

What are we trying to give Bateer some confidence during practice or what?

OMG. What has Pop done to you all....

Get a Doctor quick!!!!!!!!!

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Eat your froot loops, Sequ. Rasho is a role player. He's not the Spurs' primary acquisition.

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Okay.. I would hope not.

timvp
07-15-2003, 06:54 PM
I'm trying to learn to like Rasho.

:drunk :drunk :queen :makeout :queen :makeout :drunk

:smokin2

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Robinson averaged 20 and 15 last year??

God the propecia has leaked into your brain and made you stupid.....

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 06:58 PM
He's not the Spurs' primary acquisition.

I think he will be. Sterling will match for Brand and the Spurs won't make Odom an offer. :(

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Damn tpark... Did the short bus drop you off early today? Shit.. I said David could drop 20 and 15 at any time, playoffs, season, whatever... (Not average it, cracka!)

Can you see The NesteroStiff do that?

:pc2

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Yup.

at anytime yeah.

But you also said Manu Ginobili sucked Jackson should be a bus boy and Malik Rose should go back to playing Tuba.

Your player assesments are legendary in that they are pathetic.

So your assesment of Rasho is along the lines of others,

pathetic.....

Admiral
07-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Nesterovic can be a solid starter. I don't think he's the tough, hard-nosed defense/rebounding big man that Duncan needs and deserves, but hopefully he can really develop under Pop.

I'm hoping for 10 and 10, plus maybe a block a game. He has potential, and we're not paying him much at all. It's not like we have sacrificed $10 million per year for Rasho (or any other mediocre big man). If we had, the complaining here would be very justified.

At this point, signing Nesterovic still does little to salvage the Fantasy Summer of 2003 plan, but at least he's something. This move is a small risk that we can live with regardless. It's a good risk to take.

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 07:08 PM
So your assesment of Rasho is along the lines of others,

Well, damn, that should be a good thing! We just won the championship with beer sellers, manure and silver dancers..

Nesterovic better be a "Rapid Reward"! But I doubt it this time, but hey I could be wrong.

8)

TheCat5
07-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Want the capability of dominant games? OK.

Dallas - 11 points, 6 rebounds, 9 blocks
Lakers - 19 points (9-10 shooting), 7 rebounds, 3 blocks
Kings - 14 points, 15 rebounds
Suns - 22 points (11-17 FG), 9 reb
Pistons- 12 points, 13 reb
Rockets - 19 points, 6 reb
Sonics - 18 points (9-13 FG), 10 reb
Sixers - 19 points (9-14 FG), 7 reb, 5 blocks
Celtics - 22 points (10-17 FG), 13 reb, 2 blocks

This is just a quick analysis I did of looking at some of Rasho's games against teams with winning records. It certainly looks to me like he's capable of elevating his game...

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 07:09 PM
I would not use the word 'risk' at all with Nesterovic based on his bargain-basement contract.

I bet he averaged 35 MPG, 12 PPG, 8 RPG, 1.5 BPG.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 07:10 PM
If you're hoping for 10 boards you're going to be very disappointed, GW Jr.

With Radosoft as out starting 5 the Spurs have to do something to address the team's weakness in rebounding (outside of Duncan).

Odom averaged 6.7 boards last year (more than Rasho btw), and 6.1, 7.8, and 7.8 the previous 3 years.

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 07:12 PM
19 points 8 boards 3 blocks against the Lakers.

Yeah the guys a stiff :rolleyes

14 points 15 boards against the Kings. NICE.

He will fit in well with the Spurs.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 07:18 PM
19 points 8 boards 3 blocks against the Lakers.

Yeah the guys a stiff

Should I point out Shaq's stats in that game? A game the Lakers won 106-96.... a game Rasho was the scorer by default with KG shut down for 15 points.

40 points
16-25 FG
14 rebounds
5 blocks
4 assists

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 07:20 PM
so gettin 20 and 10 means he sucks???

I see.

Nice rationalizing there bum.

Shaq put up 36 and 15 in game 6 against RObinson Willis and Duncan. Do they suck?????

TheCat5
07-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Shaq's regular season average over all four games against Minnesota was roughly the same as his average against the rest of the league. The only difference was shooting 59 percent instead of 57, and getting 12 rebounds instead of 11. It's not a big enough gap for me to really worry.

Also, one thing that would speak well of Rasho's offensive game... he shot 64 percent from the field in four games against the Lakers.

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 07:23 PM
A guy who lets Shaq drop 40 on him in 25 shots with plenty of help from Garnett is good for this team? Who's doing the rationalizing?

Admiral
07-15-2003, 07:24 PM
I would not use the word 'risk' at all with Nesterovic based on his bargain-basement contract. -GhostWriter

It certainly is a risk when you're talking about starting him at center for the next few years. He hasn't even averaged a double double yet, and that is my first goal for him as a Spur.

Still a risk worth taking, though.

I bet he averaged 35 MPG, 12 PPG, 8 RPG, 1.5 BPG. -GhostWriter

I'm hoping for 10, 10, and 1 in 30 minutes per game. I'm not convinced he can play 35-40 minutes per game.

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 07:25 PM
your gonna say Garnett > Duncan on D?

Just curious.

Where was his guards to trap on shaq also

the great Kendall Gill Wally Sczerbiak and Troy Hudson??

yeah hes gettin D support from his guards also.

Come on Bum loose the hate on the guy for christ sake.

GrandeDavid
07-15-2003, 07:27 PM
If he can get near a double double then that'll be a huge bonus for San Antonio. Back when we had nobody who could reliably create their own shot a few years back David Robinson NEEDED to average a double double. But with the emergence of guys who can get to the rim and hit long like Buckets, Parker and Ginobili, you don't necessarily need those big numbers from Rasho. He needs to play smart basketball, get some offensive boards, block a couple of shots and learn to play more physically, which he should do under Pop's and Tim's tutelage...I think!

baseline bum
07-15-2003, 07:29 PM
**** losing the hate. I saw the way Shaq bent him over every game of the playoffs. Robinson and Duncan guarded Shaq in single coverage. Rasho bent over and grabbed his ankles every time Shaq got the ball in the post. Nesterovich is soft and he won't help the Spurs beat LA, which is the one team they have to get through to repeat.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 07:32 PM
After seeing Olowokandi punked for 60+ points by Shaq I'm not too worried about this acquisition. Timmy is going to have to fight these battles now without 5-0 casing the scene.

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 08:10 PM
I agree 100% Marcus.

Rasho will end up being a great player for this team.

Saw some highlites of him on ESPN,

dude has some NICE moves. Nice outside jumper too.

I like this signing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 09:55 PM
base,

**** losing the hate. I saw the way Shaq bent him over every game of the playoffs. Robinson and Duncan guarded Shaq in single coverage. Rasho bent over and grabbed his ankles every time Shaq got the ball in the post. Nesterovich is soft and he won't help the Spurs beat LA, which is the one team they have to get through to repeat.

So the guy can't improve?

You know I'm not Pop's biggest fan, can you honestly tell me after watching Pop work with Parker, SJax, Rose, etc. that you don't see Rasho improving at all?

He's going from an environment where his coach was a prick to everyone and thought gimmicks were the way to go and a loudmouth dipshit teammate who was more concerned about commercials and yelling in guys' faces to one where the coach believes in hard nosed defense and a teammate who says "let's do this together, and be the better team."

Honestly, every acquisition since Pop arrived has been analyzed for defensive prowess or what kind of prowess Pop can mold them into, and some of you are already ready to hang this guy from the Tower of Americas.

Flip ain't half the coach that Pop is, and KG ain't half the man that Duncan is. That right there will make a difference. Pop didn't bring Rasho here to be a pussy in the middle, he brought him here to kick ass, grab boards, and block shots. Figure it out.

AHF

ChumpDumper
07-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Alright, who are you and what have you done with AHF?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Chump,

Same person. I've seen enough over the past couple of years to recognize that if Pop wants a guy, he will be a player. They've got me convinced.

I still have my reservations, but I have to cut him slack after that whole championship thing back in June.

I'm much happier with Rasho's signing than I would have been paying Kidd that ridiculous salary and his boy Kidney Mourning that 4.9 million 4 year deal. F that.

AHF

Whottt
07-15-2003, 10:17 PM
AHF...

Rasho? Banger? I need to base my takes on reality? LMAO.

Ok Rasho's a banger now. Remember you said that.

As for my supposed whining..#1 if you look I am not bashing him..as long as we have money to still sign Brand or Odom I am happy with this signing.. I have yet to whine..I will do plenty of that if we fail to sign Brand or Odom, but for now..I was just saying Rasho is... well he is what he is.. a jump shooting Center with decent shotblocking who needs to play tougher D and learn how to rebund..he damn sure isn't the defender David is even now..and he half asses it like a lot of whiteboy centers do. But he's not better than LaFrenz based on pure talent..you guys can make all the excuses you want for the differences in statistics, but it isn't gonna change the fact. You guys are claiming playing on a shitty team where LaFrenz was one of the only post presences helps him..while poor Rasho only had to suffer being paired with KG setting him up to score... Frankly you are being myopic if you think that this guy is any kind of great defender.

He isn't. It's just that simple.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 10:24 PM
As I said Whott,

Spurs get him to lift some weights, and have Pop, Tim, Willis, and Rose in his ear enough, and I guarantee he will be a banger.

We aren't bringing in this guy to average 20 a game, we're bringing him in to play D and rebound.

AHF

Whottt
07-15-2003, 10:34 PM
I'll give you that he's got potential to be a good defender and pop is pretty good at getting guys to play tougher..and in fact I think we are gonna match up better with Sac now than we did with DROB...Ok pick up...he becomes a great pick up if we get Brand or Odom to go with him...best frontline in the NBA I would say.

gunawanspurs
07-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Dang, it seems that my first version of wish in Spurs FA acquisition would come through instead, rather than the later version which includes the superstar signing of its own.

Nesterovich + Odom + a three pointer specialist ( Piatkowski ? ) would be a nice result of holting pattern IMHO. :)

timvp
07-15-2003, 11:03 PM
I am trying to learn to like Rasho, but I found a disturbing stat.

He averaged 1.2 free throw attempts per game. One point two. That is pretty pathetic.

To put it in perspective, Steve Smith averaged 1.9. The only Spur who played significant minutes last season who averaged less was Bowen, who averaged 1.1.

That is damn scary for a center.

But yeah, hopefully Pop can change him and make him a little tougher.

In Pop I trust:white

gunawanspurs
07-15-2003, 11:18 PM
TiMVP, i think it was for the better.

A 64% FT shooter is asked to get to the line more ?

That what i call SCARY ! :lol

For him, it would be better to sharpen his outside J and passing, fact that he would have plenty of opportunities given that TD would draw plenty of attention down low, and our guards are among the quickest and great at slashing, cutting, and finishing in this league.

Admiral
07-15-2003, 11:20 PM
That is a pretty sad statistic, timvp.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/77030/300.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 11:22 PM
timvp,

Doesn't it have to be taken into context that Rasho was often spotted up 15 out in the Minny offense while KG was down on the block?

AHF

Admiral
07-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Yeah Aggie, but triple threat position allows you to shoot, pass, or drive. Is Nesterovic only capable of two of the three? Is it only called dual threat position when Rasho faces his man up and rakes the ball? :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 11:36 PM
It all depends on how the Slovenian Sensation is used. If his touches are limited to spotting up for jumpers then yeah his foul shots are going to be few and far between.

Of course, should the Spurs need a nutsack transplant during a game there is always...

http://www.toddbridges.com/gallery1/pic017.jpg

TwoHandJam
07-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Yes, Rasho has potential but given his past history and achievements he is going to be a tough pill to swallow if we don't get Brand. I can see Shaq going apeshit on him when we play them and when the diesel has his way, they are a tough team to beat.

If we get Brand then Rasho only get limited minutes as a backup bigman.

Admiral
07-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Good one, Marcus. :lol

We need F7 or genghis to PhotoShop that pic so that Gary Coleman and Kevin Willis are in the picture together. That would be classic!!

LittleGeneral
07-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Since Nesterovic is from Slovenia, can Popovich speak to him in his native tongue? Seriously. I remember reading that Popovich was fluent in Russian.

Maybe if Slovenians spoke Russian.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Of course, now that I think about it if he shoots 64% from the FT line, I think I'm happier with him shooting from outside anyway...

AHF

mattyc2422
07-16-2003, 02:14 AM
Rasho is 7'0 and 248. A good body for an NBA center, but his softness is a concern. For a bigman in the West, you can't afford to be soft, but that will be worked on. Rasho can shoot the mid-range jumper and can hopefully average more than his 5.40 boards for his career.
I'm not overly excited with the move, but I can understand it.

He fills a hole which needed filling. Defensively he is a worry because of strength, but his quickness will help him in transition. He has a very tough job in replacing David, but he is a decent role player offensively.

Zo, with questionable health, PJ Brown, Miller and Kandi were all names out there, who have gone at relatively high prices. We got Rasho at a good price, considering the Wolves offered him more.

Okay, I'm being optimistic, but Rasho's game will hopefully fit in.

Also, now that we know that we won't go away empty handed from the offseason, we have some cash left over to play with...Hm..

MI21
07-16-2003, 02:44 AM
I am trying to learn to like Rasho, but I found a disturbing stat.

He averaged 1.2 free throw attempts per game. One point two. That is pretty pathetic.

To put it in perspective, Steve Smith averaged 1.9. The only Spur who played significant minutes last season who averaged less was Bowen, who averaged 1.1.

That is damn scary for a center.

Great..:elephant

But seriously, if we pick up Brand or Odom, than Rasho is a good fit and a decent signing, and actually a bargin compared to other similar skilled centers, but i think a little overpaid for how good he actually is. That may seem contradictory, but Centers are generally overpaid, and we probably got Nesto for a lil under his market value, but he is still overpaid for what he bring IMO.

If its just Nesto and some other role players, than the offseason is a bust. If its Nesto and Brand or Odom, then all is well.

Ghost Writer
07-16-2003, 10:04 AM
baseline bum, please let us know what centers that were available could hold Shaq in check. Better yet, please name a single center that can hold Shaq in check.

Nesterovic is a face-up, finesse jump shooting center. That's why he doesn't get to the line a lot.

The only way he'll average a double-double is if he plays 35-40 MPG.