PDA

View Full Version : Report: NBA in serious talks to resume season in Orlando

Uriel
05-23-2020, 12:46 PM
The NBA has entered into exploratory conversations with the Walt Disney Company about restarting the remainder of its season at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida, in late July, NBA spokesperson Mike Bass said Saturday."The NBA, in conjunction with the National Basketball Players Association, is engaged in exploratory conversations with The Walt Disney Company about restarting the 2019-20 NBA season in late July at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida as a single site for an NBA campus for games, practices and housing," Bass said. "Our priority continues to be the health and safety of all involved, and we are working with public health experts and government officials on a comprehensive set of guidelines to ensure that appropriate medical protocols and protections are in place."

The NBA suspended its season indefinitely on March 11, in response to the coronavirus pandemic (https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28871525/coronavirus-cancellations-reactions-sports).

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Friday that the NBA has a board of governors call set for next Friday, which is expected to provide additional details for teams on a timetable and plan to proceed with the season. Teams are expecting the league to instruct them to start recalling players to their team's markets around June 1.It remains unclear whether the NBA will play the remainder of its regular season or proceed directly to the playoffs. But the 220-acre ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, with its three arenas and ample hotel accommodations, would allow the league to restart play while limiting outside exposures.

The NBA is discussing a step-by-step plan for a resumption of the 2019-2020 season that includes an initial two-week recall of players into team marketplaces for a period of quarantine, one to two weeks of individual workouts at team facilities and a two-to-three-week formal training camp, Wojnarowski reported. Barring an unforeseen turn of events, many NBA owners, executives and NBPA elders believe commissioner Adam Silver will greenlight the return to play in June -- with games expected to resume sometime before the end of July, sources said.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29213517/nba-talks-resume-play-disney-espn-wide-world-sports-complex

Robz4000
05-23-2020, 12:51 PM
This is gonna blow up in the NBA's face.

JuneJive
05-23-2020, 01:04 PM
Money is to be made.

I don't think it will flop.

Gibbz
05-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Gotta get LeGM that Lakers ring. If the top 4 seeds were Utah, San Antonio, Minnesota, and Phoenix they'd be like naaa we can cancel this bullshit.

GAustex
05-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Hookers be checking flights to Orlando

daslicer
05-23-2020, 01:44 PM
This is gonna blow up in the NBA's face.

I hope it fails. The idea and concept is stupid.

lmbebo
05-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Meh .... whats the point for most of the teams. And why bother. Biggest asterik for a championship if there ever was one ...

MultiTroll
05-23-2020, 01:50 PM
Money is to be made.

I don't think it will flop.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2020, 02:08 PM
Would Golden State just be playing for money now? Would players and their families think it's even worth the trouble?

NASpurs
05-23-2020, 02:27 PM
Missed most of March, April, May, start training in June and play in LATE July... yeah...

So the season/playoffs would end in September? Probably start next season on New Years.

RD2191
05-23-2020, 02:27 PM
NBA desperate for the Fakers and LeBitch to ring :lol. Can't wait for Kawhi and company to blow them the fuck out.

Jordan Jackson
05-23-2020, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Robz4000;10152149]This is gonna blow up in the NBA's face.[/QUOTE

This seems like a bad idea.

I guess ABC/Disney/ESPN really want their money.

Best of luck to the players, coaches and their families.

RD2191
05-23-2020, 02:29 PM
Gotta get LeGM that Lakers ring. If the top 4 seeds were Utah, San Antonio, Minnesota, and Phoenix they'd be like naaa we can cancel this bullshit.

:lol tbh

gambit1990
05-23-2020, 02:58 PM
glad it’s coming back. they need to get players to agree to not leave premises for like, two months.

gambit1990
05-23-2020, 03:00 PM
nah, there’d still be money to be made in that situation.

even non basketball fans will tune in since there aren’t other sports. good way to get new fans tbh.

Sugus
05-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Besides the asterisk ring for whichever team ends up winning, I'm actually interested in seeing what the Spurs look like, if they also begin to play. Lonnie and DJ seem to still be training, at least from what they post on social media - have all Spurs players been keeping up? Will LMA further show his decline? What about DeBum? Will team hierarchy or gameplan change whatsoever?

Most importantly, I'd love for Pop to step down since he's at increased risk, and hand the reigns to Becky or Tim, both quite healthy and young. We'll see what happens...

daslicer
05-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Besides the asterisk ring for whichever team ends up winning, I'm actually interested in seeing what the Spurs look like, if they also begin to play. Lonnie and DJ seem to still be training, at least from what they post on social media - have all Spurs players been keeping up? Will LMA further show his decline? What about DeBum? Will team hierarchy or gameplan change whatsoever?

Most importantly, I'd love for Pop to step down since he's at increased risk, and hand the reigns to Becky or Tim, both quite healthy and young. We'll see what happens...

Rumor has it that they are only going to play 5-10 regular season games. You are not going to get much out of it when it comes to the development of young guys such as DJ,Lonnie. Can't measure decline of LMA or Demar in 5-10 games. Overall continuing the season is stupid under this format but I get it from a financial perspective.

TimDunkem
05-23-2020, 03:49 PM
This season is doomed to lose all of it's luster between the whole shortened season and no fans thing, so let's not drag this out and increase the likelihood of multiple players testing positive by playing the season. That would take whatever is left of this season and make it quite fucking lame. Can you imagine if a big name or crucial player for a contender caught it? Season over.

If you're going to do this, then head into the playoffs and get it over with ASAP.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Rumor has it that they are only going to play 5-10 regular season games. You are not going to get much out of it when it comes to the development of young guys such as DJ,Lonnie. Can't measure decline of LMA or Demar in 5-10 games. Overall continuing the season is stupid under this format but I get it from a financial perspective.Incredibly dumb since that means 5-10 teams and their families will be going through all that shit for no reason. Just start the playoffs now or make it an expanded tournament including all teams. Give every team involved a reason to be there and get them out when that reason is no longer there.

Sugus
05-23-2020, 04:08 PM
Rumor has it that they are only going to play 5-10 regular season games. You are not going to get much out of it when it comes to the development of young guys such as DJ,Lonnie. Can't measure decline of LMA or Demar in 5-10 games. Overall continuing the season is stupid under this format but I get it from a financial perspective.

Eh, I'm not expecting top tier basketball but some things can definitely become apparent. Will Forbes keep starting at SG? Will the young trio play together at all? And many more examples, of how the team approaches coaching/game management, can shed some light on their short and long-term plans. Personally, I think LMA's trade value (however much it is right now) could suffer if he's visibly out of shape/slow, so I'd rather the Spurs not play at all, but of course they won't have much of a choice if the season actually resumes.

On a negative note, if the regular season is indeed played out, the Spurs pretty much HAVE to lose every single game to maintain their #11 pick, and can easily be outtanked by some 4 or 5 other teams in the mix, whereas the chances of moving up in the draft are much slimmer. Other teams might benefit from resuming the season, but not the Spurs, IMO. And as others have said, increased risk and worries for the players' families, which is wholly unnecessary considering how the US is being beaten down by COVID-19. Silver better think this one through...

gambit1990
05-23-2020, 04:09 PM
DO NOT bring back non playoff teams. just a recipe for disaster, too much to manage.

the #9 seeds in both the east and west are like, 4 or 5 games out of the PO race.

gambit1990
05-23-2020, 04:12 PM
PO teams only, they will have a couple weeks to get back into shape... let them have a few scrimmages then go straight to POs.

gambit1990
05-23-2020, 04:24 PM
this really helped kawhi :lol

got a ton of time to rest.

spurs50_
05-23-2020, 05:05 PM
If the players can't leave the premises, LeBron better take his roids with him.

Texas eye
05-23-2020, 05:46 PM
Give trophy to Laker and call it a day. ESPN will call it LeBron's greatest championship run.

gambit1990
05-23-2020, 05:49 PM
i'm even fine with best of five instead of seven.

nba would lose more money that way though, obviously.

Dex
05-23-2020, 06:35 PM
Give trophy to Laker and call it a day. ESPN will call it LeBron's greatest championship run.

Last Dance 2: Electric Boogloo

Dex
05-23-2020, 06:39 PM
i'm even fine with best of five instead of seven.

nba would lose more money that way though, obviously.

They are going to lose a shit-ton of money either way without fans. Games are going to be like Summer League...back to back games all day (in non-prime times), no one watching, and only hardcore NBA fans will pay attention or really care.

But this way they can say they "finished the season", collect some TV revenue, crown a champion, and move on.

I get it, but I still don't know how they are going to keep it safe.

Mugen
05-23-2020, 07:44 PM
:lol

Spurtacular
05-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Somehow it's safer in Orlando.

#Plandemic

Bynumite
05-23-2020, 08:46 PM
As long as the spurs don't make the playoffs :tu

ChumpDumper
05-23-2020, 09:18 PM
Somehow it's safer in Orlando.

#PlandemicWhat's the plan part of your buzzword?

ZeusWillJudge
05-23-2020, 10:05 PM
What's the plan part of your buzzword?

The plan is to trigger fucking snowflakes, and it works.

Pinche maricon.

Spurtacular
05-24-2020, 12:34 AM
Incredibly dumb since that means 5-10 teams and their families will be going through all that shit for no reason. Just start the playoffs now or make it an expanded tournament including all teams. Give every team involved a reason to be there and get them out when that reason is no longer there.

Cos the boogieman COVID 19 gonna get them?

ChumpDumper
05-24-2020, 01:27 AM
Cos the boogieman COVID 19 gonna get them?#derpdemic

Spurtacular
05-24-2020, 01:35 AM
#derpdemic

COVID 19 going to kill NBA players?

Yes or no.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2020, 01:52 AM
COVID 19 going to kill NBA players?

Yes or no.I don't know for sure. Chances are it wouldn't kill any of the players. Players would not be the only people there. Some of the other people there would be more likely to be killed by COVID-19

alpha_HaZE
05-24-2020, 05:54 PM
Would Golden State just be playing for money now? Would players and their families think it's even worth the trouble?

I doubt GSW will be playing, I think teams who can't mathematically make the playoffs won't be invited or that's the mean idea right now. Of course things can change.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2020, 06:15 PM
I doubt GSW will be playing, I think teams who can't mathematically make the playoffs won't be invited or that's the mean idea right now. Of course things can change.Yeah, if they get paid like the teams that do play it would seem to be less of a problem. I think they were the only team that was mathematically eliminated so automatically eliminating ~10 more teams with a shortened season seems like a hard sell. I read the NHL is going to expand their playoffs to 24 teams to mitigate this a bit. I think the NBA could do the same or even start a playoff tournament scheme with all the teams. Regular season games seem like they would be useless at this point.

talkspurs
05-24-2020, 10:02 PM
Yeah, if they get paid like the teams that do play it would seem to be less of a problem. I think they were the only team that was mathematically eliminated so automatically eliminating ~10 more teams with a shortened season seems like a hard sell. I read the NHL is going to expand their playoffs to 24 teams to mitigate this a bit. I think the NBA could do the same or even start a playoff tournament scheme with all the teams. Regular season games seem like they would be useless at this point.

Even if they go with an extended PO format I could still see some games before to warm up in game scenario. If you try and have them jump straight into PO you will have injuries just because the players are not use to it. I think this will still happen but going from not doing much to a 3/4 week mini-camp to PO will cause more injuries. this is part of the reason I think the season should be canceled. That being said they are looking at the money.

baseline bum
05-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Yeah, if they get paid like the teams that do play it would seem to be less of a problem. I think they were the only team that was mathematically eliminated so automatically eliminating ~10 more teams with a shortened season seems like a hard sell. I read the NHL is going to expand their playoffs to 24 teams to mitigate this a bit. I think the NBA could do the same or even start a playoff tournament scheme with all the teams. Regular season games seem like they would be useless at this point.

LOL if this loophole gives the Spurs their 23rd straight playoff appearance. :lol

ChumpDumper
05-24-2020, 10:32 PM
Even if they go with an extended PO format I could still see some games before to warm up in game scenario. If you try and have them jump straight into PO you will have injuries just because the players are not use to it. I think this will still happen but going from not doing much to a 3/4 week mini-camp to PO will cause more injuries. this is part of the reason I think the season should be canceled. That being said they are looking at the money.I think folks would even watch exhibitions at this point.

LOL if this loophole gives the Spurs their 23rd straight playoff appearance. :lol:lol

Chomag
05-24-2020, 11:52 PM
Seriously, they might as well just start next season in that date. This is stupid...

cool cat
05-25-2020, 11:11 AM
If the players can't leave the premises, LeBron better take his roids with him.

Florida is where he would get his hook up so I don't think that will be a problem.

JPB
05-25-2020, 02:10 PM
Hookers be checking flights to Orlando

Not like Florida is lacking hoes, ay? But blowing with a mask or fucking while respecting social distancing might be a challenge... That must seriously be the business that hurt the most from Covid. #supportyourhoe...

Anyway, can't wait to see the finals in a silent, empty arena with only shoe noises and a dozen dudes clapping on the bench... D-FENSE! D-FENSE!

Dirks_Finale
05-25-2020, 03:06 PM
So not much different than the current NBA.

I think folks would even watch exhibitions at this point.

:lol

Dirks_Finale
05-25-2020, 03:08 PM
Cardboard cutout fans and artificial noise through the loud speakers.

Everyone stop at every dead ball and sanitize their hands.

Not like Florida is lacking hoes, ay? But blowing with a mask or fucking while respecting social distancing might be a challenge... That must seriously be the business that hurt the most from Covid. #supportyourhoe...

Anyway, can't wait to see the finals in a silent, empty arena with only shoe noises and a dozen dudes clapping on the bench... D-FENSE! D-FENSE!

LakerHater
05-25-2020, 03:38 PM
Stupid!!
Jus cancel the season!

gambit1990
05-25-2020, 03:48 PM
i am ready.

Degoat
05-25-2020, 05:14 PM
May have been discussed already but now the NBA seems to be talking about doing a seeding 1-16 Instead of west and East (1-8). If that was the case would spurs make the playoffs lol

*Edit* interesting I actually don’t know if doing 1-16 even would change the playoff format at all really I think it would be the same 8 teams from west and East involved

Bynumite
05-25-2020, 06:01 PM
It really warms my heart knowing that no one in this thread will most likely ever see the spurs ring again in their lifetime :toast

Such a pathetic and insufferable fanbase :lol

Robz4000
05-25-2020, 06:03 PM
It really warms my heart knowing that no one in this thread will most likely ever see the spurs ring again in their lifetime :toast

We know Kirbs won't.

gambit1990
05-25-2020, 07:27 PM
We know Kirbs won't.
:lmao

Dirks_Finale
05-25-2020, 08:08 PM
Spurs would be the number 20 seed :lol

https://www.espn.com/nba/standings/_/group/league

May have been discussed already but now the NBA seems to be talking about doing a seeding 1-16 Instead of west and East (1-8). If that was the case would spurs make the playoffs lol

*Edit* interesting I actually don’t know if doing 1-16 even would change the playoff format at all really I think it would be the same 8 teams from west and East involved

ElNono
05-26-2020, 05:18 AM
We know Kirbs won't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uoGLyHOixs

Uriel
05-27-2020, 03:48 PM

Dex
05-27-2020, 04:19 PM

Probably not, unless they somehow make it into the final 16 (or 8 for the West).

Or it will be considered an "off year" like '99 when we didn't have our 50-game streak because of the shortened season despite winning the equivalent percentage-wise.

I'm not normally one to subscribe to asterisks, but if there ever was a time for it, this year will be it.

talkspurs
05-27-2020, 04:58 PM
Probably not, unless they somehow make it into the final 16 (or 8 for the West).

Or it will be considered an "off year" like '99 when we didn't have our 50-game streak because of the shortened season despite winning the equivalent percentage-wise.

I'm not normally one to subscribe to asterisks, but if there ever was a time for it, this year will be it.

There will be no final 16 it will go from 20 to 8 total.

Dex
05-27-2020, 06:21 PM
There will be no final 16 it will go from 20 to 8 total.

Point still stands though....will they consider it "playoffs" if the playoffs are a 20-team tournament or a play-in tournament?

Unless that becomes the new norm, I don't think anyone will be able to definitively say the Spurs DID or DIDN'T make the playoffs. It's going to be a gray area.

Seventyniner
05-27-2020, 08:25 PM
Point still stands though....will they consider it "playoffs" if the playoffs are a 20-team tournament or a play-in tournament?

Unless that becomes the new norm, I don't think anyone will be able to definitively say the Spurs DID or DIDN'T make the playoffs. It's going to be a gray area.

I think if there is some play-in mini-tournament to get the 20 down to 16, and the Spurs make the round of 16, it would count as maintaining the streak.

That could also push the Spurs to the #15 pick if the league decides to do things that way.

I think the fairest way to conduct the lottery in that case is do one lottery for the 10 teams that don't make the 20-team "playoffs" for picks 1-10, then another mini-lottery to assign picks 11-14 to the four teams that lose in the play-in round.

Chillen
05-28-2020, 01:45 AM
Will Mickey Mouse present the LOB trophy? Whatever they do this season will have a giant asterisk mark on it. I want to see them finish the season though.

Uriel
05-30-2020, 02:05 PM
1266445710196695040 (https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1266445710196695040?s=21)

B1gduff
05-30-2020, 02:09 PM
if they plan on doing an tournament style match up for the 8th seat, wonder how that'll look? best of 3 between the teams? or would it be a one game deal, winner moves up looser goes home.