PDA

View Full Version : Is this what the Vietnam Era felt like?

DMX7
05-27-2020, 10:00 AM
It feels like the country is falling apart on all sides.

The economy is cratering, the government budgets are collapsing, 100,000+ deaths from COVID, and now a string of terrible civil right abuses (George Floyd in Minnesota, Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia).

Was anybody alive during the Vietnam Era? There was a lot of civil unrest during that time. Did it feel like it does now then?

Don't get me wrong... I think we will recover but this is really bad.

Chucho
05-27-2020, 10:10 AM
In 20-40 years, the kids burdened with all the debt our generation is packing on them will tell all old folk who have beef with them, "ok, Millennial." and will dismiss any civil protesting and unrest as insignificant.

This generation is doing no better than the boomers.

hater
05-27-2020, 10:24 AM
vietnam era? :lmao

that was a golden age compared to this

just wait until markets, banks and wall street realize the “vaccine” will take much longer than 18 months

:lol

vietnam era will look like camelot

getting high, fucking and protesting? shit id take that over this any day

ElNono
05-27-2020, 10:30 AM
Wasn't all that great in the 'Nam era, tbh... lines to get gas, the economic crisis was structural...

Look, this is what you expect out of an exceptional situation. It ain't pretty, but it never is.

DMX7
05-27-2020, 10:46 AM
Wasn't all that great in the 'Nam era, tbh... lines to get gas, the economic crisis was structural...

Look, this is what you expect out of an exceptional situation. It ain't pretty, but it never is.

Lots of civil unrest too. The college campuses then probably looked a lot like Hong Kong streets today.

baseline bum
05-27-2020, 10:47 AM

Economic crisis is structural now too with 40 years of flat wages (for people not stuck in the gig economy) but immense growth in cost of healthcare, education, and housing.

DMX7
05-27-2020, 10:48 AM
In 20-40 years, the kids burdened with all the debt our generation is packing on them will tell all old folk who have beef with them, "ok, Millennial." and will dismiss any civil protesting and unrest as insignificant.

This generation is doing no better than the boomers.

The boomers are still running the government. What are you talking about?

boutons_deux
05-27-2020, 10:52 AM

A lor of boomers are in deep shit, in or near poverty, bleeding $Bs into for-profit health care, and are expected to be denied SS until age 70 or above

Chucho
05-27-2020, 10:53 AM

Did you not read the "in 20-40 years" part?

Regardless, it was mocking millennials who discount what the Boomers did; basically the same thing, except didn't do it to count coup on Facebook so they could show the world.

Faux moralism is the times now. Back then, there was conviction to people's beliefs. Our society is all talk and little to no action.

TimDunkem
05-27-2020, 10:55 AM

Regardless, it was mocking millennials who discount what the Boomers did; basically the same thing, except didn't do it to count coup on Facebook so they could show the world.

Faux moralism is the times now. Back then, there was conviction to people's beliefs. Our society is all talk and little to no action.

Ok boomer

ElNono
05-27-2020, 10:56 AM
Economic crisis is structural now too with 40 years of flat wages (for people not stuck in the gig economy) but immense growth in cost of healthcare, education, and housing.

Back then we were still pegged to the gold, Reagan didn't get to destroy the government credit card until later, tbh

Chucho
05-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Ok boomer

It's your generation saddling the next with incurable debt that will leave them in the poorhouse. Good work, Millennial.

DMX7
05-27-2020, 10:59 AM

Let's see how the Millennials do before assuming they won't get us onto a better path in terms of debt. You will probably see taxes go up for one.

TimDunkem
05-27-2020, 11:00 AM
It's your generation saddling the next with incurable debt that will leave them in the poorhouse. Good work, Millennial.

Relax I was joking. No need to act like a such a boomer.

ElNono
05-27-2020, 11:01 AM
At least future generations can point to a cataclysm to find reasons for certain situations, tbh, instead of selfish assholes.

Chucho
05-27-2020, 11:04 AM
Relax I was joking. No need to act like a such a boomer.

Same here.

When are you going back upstairs, btw? Once Pop re-signs DeRozan?

Chucho
05-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Let's see how the Millennials do before assuming they won't get us onto a better path in terms of debt. You will probably see taxes go up for one.

I don't think they'll fail. Most of them will realize it's their own faults we're saddling the next generation with tremendous debt, especially those who don't want to return to work because we're loading the gravy train.

boutons_deux
05-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Back then we were still pegged to the gold, Reagan didn't get to destroy the government credit card until later, tbh

St Ronnie's wrecking crew knew exactly what they were doing to financial regs, like legalizing stock buy backs, loopholes to offshore profits, de-regging S&L, firing ATCs to make War on Employees the official govt policy, exemplifying the same policy for BigCorp, etc, etc.

ElNono
05-27-2020, 11:11 AM
I don't think they'll fail. Most of them will realize it's their own faults we're saddling the next generation with tremendous debt, especially those who don't want to return to work because we're loading the gravy train.

This is a re-hash of the old welfare queens argument, that's really not true, Chucho. You should know better.

So we had lowest unemployment in however many years just a year ago, and now everybody is lazy and a moocher?

It's simply more likely that we're temporarily under a exceptional, stressful situation and we're trying to help people get by. If anything, we should welcome the fact that people get to choose for once, instead of being victims to slave-wages.

baseline bum
05-27-2020, 11:13 AM
At least future generations can point to a cataclysm to find reasons for certain situations, tbh, instead of selfish assholes.

Trickle-down is the cataclysm.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-27-2020, 11:16 AM
St Ronnie's wrecking crew knew exactly what they were doing to financial regs, like legalizing stock buy backs, loopholes to offshore profits, de-regging S&L, firing ATCs to make War on Employees the official govt policy, exemplifying the same policy for BigCorp, etc, etc.

They set us down this financial path for sure. And plenty of people called them out at the time too. All for nothing.

ElNono
05-27-2020, 11:18 AM
Trickle-down is the cataclysm.

Nothing natural about trickle down, tbh

baseline bum
05-27-2020, 11:20 AM
This is a re-hash of the old welfare queens argument, that's really not true, Chucho. You should know better.

So we had lowest unemployment in however many years just a year ago, and now everybody is lazy and a moocher?

It's simply more likely that we're temporarily under a exceptional, stressful situation and we're trying to help people get by. If anything, we should welcome the fact that people get to choose for once, instead of being victims to slave-wages.

Temporarily? You buy that this is going to be a quick recovery?

TimDunkem
05-27-2020, 11:24 AM
Same here.

When are you going back upstairs, btw? Once Pop re-signs DeRozan?

:lol Wow you just ruined my day reminding me of that possibility. I think I'd rather catch Corona than go back upstairs and perpetually discuss 9th place things with DeRozan leading the way. :vomit:

Chucho
05-27-2020, 11:27 AM

Didn't say that. But to deny the mass that doesn't want to return to work is as dismissive. There are a lot of people who don't want to come back to work and are using this virus as their excuse. It is what it is. We're loading the gravy train for the lowest, most dispensable crowd in the world on the dime of our kids.

Funny to me that millennials shame the Boomers for doing the same thing.

Spurminator
05-27-2020, 11:28 AM
It was worse then.

boutons_deux
05-27-2020, 11:32 AM
They set us down this financial path for sure. And plenty of people called them out at the time too. All for nothing.

the oligarchy can only be overthrown by violent revolution, as history instructs us.

the oligarchy has pocked $200B+ during the Trump Pandemic while 40M have losts jobs and will soon lose their housing.

Chucho
05-27-2020, 12:14 PM
the oligarchy can only be overthrown by violent revolution, as history instructs us.

the oligarchy has pocked $200B+ during the Trump Pandemic while 40M have losts jobs and will soon lose their housing.

Here's the fallacy with your argument.

1st thing: YOU'RE A FUCKING PUSSY. Period. You put people on ignore the moment they shit on your batshit spam posts.

2nd thing: How is there going to be a "violent" revolution when you want guns taken away from private citizens?

3rd thing: You don't think anything through and aren't consistent in your beliefs. You think the answer is a "violent revolution", but giant, festering pussies like you don't have or want guns. HOW exactly do you expect ANY of this to work?

Probably because you're bottom-tier white trash with massive racist undertones and expect people stupider than you to go out there and fight your violent revolution so giant pussies like you can reap the rewards.

Yeah, you're as white and supremacist as they come. And dumber than dirt as well.

koriwhat
05-27-2020, 12:20 PM

:tu

DMX7
05-27-2020, 02:12 PM
It was worse then.

Were you alive? How so? I'm genuinely curious based on what I've seen/read I believe it could have been.

ElNono
05-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Temporarily? You buy that this is going to be a quick recovery?

There will be a therapeutic treatment or vaccine sooner or later. That makes it implicitly temporary.

ElNono
05-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Didn't say that. But to deny the mass that doesn't want to return to work is as dismissive. There are a lot of people who don't want to come back to work and are using this virus as their excuse. It is what it is. We're loading the gravy train for the lowest, most dispensable crowd in the world on the dime of our kids.

Funny to me that millennials shame the Boomers for doing the same thing.

I'm not denying it happens, but there's clearly a reason why it does happen. Certainly it isn't only because the government is providing aid at a exceptional time.

How long have been wages flat? We're also talking $600 a week, IIRC, that goes through June last I checked, so this isn't some permanent gravy train. They might extend it for less, we'll see.

Frankly, if you worry about the debt on your kid's back (you shouldn't), you should be way more worried about the the PPP and those forgivable loans for businesses, which got the blunt of the bailout here.

FrostKing
05-27-2020, 02:24 PM
It feels like the country is falling apart on all sides.

The economy is cratering, the government budgets are collapsing, 100,000+ deaths from COVID, and now a string of terrible civil right abuses (George Floyd in Minnesota, Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia).

Was anybody alive during the Vietnam Era? There was a lot of civil unrest during that time. Did it feel like it does now then?

Don't get me wrong... I think we will recover but this is really bad.
Who "raised" this generation?

Hippies

Spurminator
05-27-2020, 02:25 PM
Were you alive? How so? I'm genuinely curious based on what I've seen/read I believe it could have been.

I was not alive, but the polarization and violence seemed tangibly worse.

We had assassinations, actual mob violence and race riots, far more overt and open racism, people spitting on troops, Kent State... Hard to see some of the extreme incidents of the late 60's happening today. Maybe if Trump wins re-election.

FrostKing
05-27-2020, 02:29 PM

boutons_deux
05-27-2020, 02:30 PM
There will be a therapeutic treatment or vaccine sooner or later. That makes it implicitly temporary.

"some say" the 36M jobs lost are not all coming back, long-term unemployment, and 1000s of companies closed taking jobs with them.

I don't see anybody predicting a V recession, but long-tail L recession.

Of course, in his brain-damaged ignorance, Trash thinks the stock rebound means he and America are finished with the pandemic.

SpursforSix
05-27-2020, 02:57 PM
Good luck binge watching Breaking Bad during the Nam Era.

BSfromTX
05-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Pledged to gold, but printing more money than we could back by gold (after the world trusted us as the reserve currency). Both NK and Vietnam were signals that the US was taking advantage of their position and creating/spending money they didn't have. Nixon taking us off the gold standard was a big middle finger to the rest of the world. And yes, Reagan ran up the debt during the Cold War which was great for the bankers as both countries kept swiping that card. The economy was doomed once we allowed the monopoly on credit and currency through the fed act of 1913. Since then, any fiscal responsibility has been thrown to the wind.

ElNono
05-27-2020, 04:34 PM
Pledged to gold, but printing more money than we could back by gold (after the world trusted us as the reserve currency). Both NK and Vietnam were signals that the US was taking advantage of their position and creating/spending money they didn't have. Nixon taking us off the gold standard was a big middle finger to the rest of the world. And yes, Reagan ran up the debt during the Cold War which was great for the bankers as both countries kept swiping that card. The economy was doomed once we allowed the monopoly on credit and currency through the fed act of 1913. Since then, any fiscal responsibility has been thrown to the wind.

It was more of a necessity too, given it was also choking growth. I mean, it was just a year ago when the economy was allegedly the best ever, so I suppose it all worked out in the end.

ElNono
05-27-2020, 04:35 PM
"some say" the 36M jobs lost are not all coming back, long-term unemployment, and 1000s of companies closed taking jobs with them.

I don't see anybody predicting a V recession, but long-tail L recession.

Of course, in his brain-damaged ignorance, Trash thinks the stock rebound means he and America are finished with the pandemic.

Your predictions are pretty shitty fairly often, tbh... dont mind me if I don't pay attention to them

CosmicCowboy
05-27-2020, 06:15 PM
I dont think this feels like Vietnam era but I'm also looking at it from the different end of the age bracket. The war and the draft really gave younger people something to unite against and there was really an age divide and people were a lot more conservative and openly prejudiced and misogynist. We are talking about an era that started out where girls still had to wear dresses to school and kneel down on the floor to prove their hem touched the floor. Guys hair couldn't touch their collar. That all blew up along with the antiwar sentiment. The feeling was, if we can question THIS then fuck it....we can question THAT too. Back in the old days we had to write 10 page plus research papers with footnotes etc from freshman year on. I did my sophomore paper on why the war was illegal and why we shouldn't be there. I knew it was controversial and made sure it was perfect. My English teacher (also the football coaches wife) gave me an A+ for technical performance and a D- for content. She actually wrote on my paper that it was well written and documented but she disagreed with my unamerican premise. I was pissed. My parents actually let me take it to the school board who made her apologize and change my grade.

Spurs Homer
05-28-2020, 08:23 AM
I dont think this feels like Vietnam era but I'm also looking at it from the different end of the age bracket. The war and the draft really gave younger people something to unite against and there was really an age divide and people were a lot more conservative and openly prejudiced and misogynist. We are talking about an era that started out where girls still had to wear dresses to school and kneel down on the floor to prove their hem touched the floor. Guys hair couldn't touch their collar. That all blew up along with the antiwar sentiment. The feeling was, if we can question THIS then fuck it....we can question THAT too. Back in the old days we had to write 10 page plus research papers with footnotes etc from freshman year on. I did my sophomore paper on why the war was illegal and why we shouldn't be there. I knew it was controversial and made sure it was perfect. My English teacher (also the football coaches wife) gave me an A+ for technical performance and a D- for content. She actually wrote on my paper that it was well written and documented but she disagreed with my unamerican premise. I was pissed. My parents actually let me take it to the school board who made her apologize and change my grade.

and then you grew up

and became complicit in a corrupt criminal dictator government-

^ cautionary tale here kids!