PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music Suggestions

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 02:37 AM
When I am on the computer, I usually have headphones with music on. I want some classical pieces, and while I recognize many when I hear them I don't know their names.

Can people give me suggestions please?

3rdCoast
11-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Some of my picks from Beethoven

Leonore Overture #2
Tremate
Te solo adoro

T Park
11-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Manny your not alone, just recently ive started getting into classical music.

Its so soothing and calming, after a stressfull day it really takes a load off.

Ive been going to Itunes, and just downloading random stuff.

Sorry I couldnt suggest something, just thought, id, like, throw that out there.

3rdCoast
11-07-2005, 02:52 AM

Sorry I couldnt suggest something, just thought, id, like, throw that out there.

Word. Well said Tpark, well said.

baseline bum
11-07-2005, 03:03 AM
My favorite piece of classical music (hell, music period) is the The 9th Symphony (From the New World) by Dvorak.

Jekka
11-07-2005, 03:07 AM

I'm not so much a fan of the low-key classical. Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies (especially #2) and anything by Rachmaninoff are amazing. One of the only Bach pieces I like is the Bach Suite in G Major for cello - it's an intense piece of music. Schubert wrote through insanity, and made some very powerful works for piano. Elgar's cello pieces are also very good.

ZStomp
11-07-2005, 03:07 AM
Hey Manny, I was at Best Buy Recently and saw some cheap classical compilations for like $4.99-$5.99. You should check that out.

They included some of the following:

Bach
Beethoven
Brahms
Chopin
Debussy
Handel
Haydn
Liszt
Mendelssohn
Mozart
Scarlatti
Schubert
Schumann
Tchaikovsky
Vivaldi

mavsfan1000
11-07-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm not really into classical music. It is ok once in awhile to listen to it but I would get bored with it. For relaxation Bob Marley is the best to listen to. :smokin

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I just saw this compliation on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001M65HE/103-2221224-4760656?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples#disc_1

For 25 bucks thats a hell of a lot of music!

I prefer classical that builds and is intense. I don't want to go to sleep with it. I don't want elevator music, I want shit that rocks.

Slomo
11-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Among my favs:

3rd Brandenburg concerto - JS Bach
Pictures at an exhibition - Mussorgsky
Concerto For Piano And Orchestra No. 5 In E-Flat Major, Op. 73 - Beethoven

These will not make you sleepy. Enjoy them while you develop a taste for the "sleepy shit" :lol

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks Slomo! I'm going to check those out!

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 06:42 AM
I'm checking out some of the stuff on the LOTR soundtracks. It's pretty awesome especially the pieces with great percussion and choir work.

ZStomp
11-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Go to sleep! :lol

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 07:05 AM
There is one piece I am really looking for, and I have no clue as to what it may be. The only thing I can offer so maybe someone on here can help me out with it is the following:

It was used during the opening night montage by the Spurs. It isn't the regular intro music, but it has been used on their montages several times.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 07:05 AM
You go to sleep!

CoolArrow
11-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I just saw this compliation on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001M65HE/103-2221224-4760656?v=glance&s=music&vi=samples#disc_1

For 25 bucks thats a hell of a lot of music!

I prefer classical that builds and is intense. I don't want to go to sleep with it. I don't want elevator music, I want shit that rocks.

A compilation is a great way to get started. You'll be a classical music "expert" in no time that way. By the way, if you want something that "rocks", try Shostakovich Symphony No. 5.

ZStomp
11-07-2005, 07:43 AM
You go to sleep!

:wow

Spam
11-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Muzac.

CosmicCowboy
11-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Wagners "Flight of the Valkyries"...it's the music the First Cav played in Apocolypse Now...I am trying to figure out how to make that the ringtone when my wife calls...:lol

ObiwanGinobili
11-07-2005, 08:56 AM
There is one piece I am really looking for, and I have no clue as to what it may be. The only thing I can offer so maybe someone on here can help me out with it is the following:

It was used during the opening night montage by the Spurs. It isn't the regular intro music, but it has been used on their montages several times.

thats music by Nightwish

Summers
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Some of my favorite pieces of classical music...

Hoe-down from "Rodeo" by Copland (it was used in the beef commercials a couple years ago). Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland is also a great piece.

Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin isn't exactly classical, but it's one of my favorite pieces of music.

The Blue Danube (Strauss)

The Four Seasons (Vivaldi)

anything by Mozart (if you've never seen Amadeus, rent it)

Ode to Joy (An der Freude), which is the end of the 9th symphony by Beethoven--my husband said to point out you might recognize this from the Die Hard movies. :lol I'm generally not a big fan of Beethoven but I love this piece of music.

As I think of more, I'll post them. :)

Summers
11-07-2005, 10:24 AM
oops... posted twice.

Ocotillo
11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Vivaldi's Four Seasons

Opera kicks as well such as Puccini's Madame Butterfly or Rossini (The Barber of Seville or William Tell 12 overture.

Summers
11-07-2005, 10:28 AM
If you're checking out opera, The Flower Duet is, in my opinion, one of the prettiest arias ever written (is it an aria??). I don't know who wrote it.

SWC Bonfire
11-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Wagner is ass-kicking music.

Kill the Wabbit!!! (Flight of the Valkyries)

Mixability
11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Classical Music is very soothing. I actually went to the Symphony at the Majestic on Friday, it was great, probably cause my boss(a doctor) gave me his wonderful seats. Talk about romantic, good thing I took my girl!

tlongII
11-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Hey Manny,

Try a listen to "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Coplan. It's a relatively recent work (1942) and you will probably recognize it. It's one of my favorite orchestral pieces though.

FromWayDowntown
11-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Good topic, Manny.

One of the more underrated composers of all-time, IMO, is Gustav Mahler. You might give a listen to some of his symphonies, which are complex and full of symbolism. It's mostly darker music, in the tradition of Beethoven's later symphonies, but it's brilliant work.

MiNuS
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
"Pines of Rome" by Respighi (its a long piece about 15minutes-I highly recommend this.
It takes you on a nice trip )
OTTORINO RESPIGHI
Born in Bologna, July 9, 1879; died in Rome, April 18, 1936

The Pines of Rome

Respighi's strong interest in historical subjects and in music of bygone eras led to compositions like the potpourri Rossiniana, the ballet La Boutique fantasque (also based on Rossini's music), The Birds (old harpsichord pieces), and Ancient Airs and Dances (seventeenth- and eighteenth-century lute music). This interest also brought forth the music by which he is best remembered today, a trilogy of symphonic evocations of ancient Rome: The Fountains of Rome (1917), The Pines of Rome (1924) and Feste romane (Roman Festivals, 1928), all bursting with brilliant effects, resplendent orchestration and intoxicating rhythms.

Rome, the "Eternal City," was a "natural" for a musician of Respighi's antiquarian inclinations, a city steeped in history, studded with monuments and statues, richly endowed with great art and architecture. In The Pines of Rome, Respighi does not so much attempt to portray nature, but rather uses landscapes with pines in and and around Rome as points of departure to conjure up visions and reminiscences of the great city. "The century-old trees which so characteristically dominate the Roman landscape become witnesses to the principal events in Roman life," wrote Respighi. The first performance was given, appropriately enough, in Rome on December 14, 1924, with Bernardino Molinari conducting the Augusteo Orchestra.

In the published score, Respighi wrote a description of the sights and sounds evoked by the four connected sections. Somewhat abridged, the text runs as follows:

I. The Pines of the Villa Borghese - Children are at play in the pine grove of the Villa Borghese; they mimic marching soldiers and battles; they chatter like excited swallows at evening, then swarm away. Triangle, bells, celesta, piano and harp contribute to the shimmering brilliance. Suddenly the scene changes to

II. Pines near a Catacomb - We see the shadows of the pines, which crown the entrance of a catacomb. From the depths rises a mournful chant [low horns] which floats through the air like a solemn hymn, then slowly and mysteriously dies away.

III. The Pines of the Janiculum - A slight tremor disturbs the night air. The full moon reveals the profile of the pines on the Janiculum. A nightingale is singing. [The use of the recorded birdsong represents the first time a well-known composer employed modern recording playback techniques within a musical work.]

IV. The Pines of the Appian Way - Misty dawn on the Appian Way [the ancient highway extending 350 miles from modern Brindisi to Rome]. A magical countryside guarded by solitary pines. The indistinct, incessant rhythm of muffled footsteps. In the poet's mind appears a vision of past glories: in the grandeur of the rising sun, an army advances inexorably on the Capitoline Hill to the accompaniment of brass fanfares.
------------------------------------------------------------

Carmina Burana-Carl Orff -(if you're pissed off!) Oh and by the way this the song used in the Spurs intro montage. I think? I believe its one of the most used classical songs used with teams,since its a very fiery piece.

Flight of the Bumble Bee-Rimskij-Korsakov (I highly recommend the Chicago or Canadian Brass version of this classic for a wake up call or if you need to be quick on your feet)

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey Manny,

Try a listen to "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Coplan. It's a relatively recent work (1942) and you will probably recognize it. It's one of my favorite orchestral pieces though.
I'm actually finding out that I have much more of a taste for modern compisition.

I haven't listened to this much classical since HS when I was in band.

LuvBones
11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Check out Firebird Suite by Stravinsky

awww.. reminds me of high school and Fantasia 2000.

JoeChalupa
11-07-2005, 02:41 PM
http://www.andante.com/images/Boutique/Products/AN2160-medcover.jpg

JoeChalupa
11-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Yo-Yo Ma

MiNuS
11-07-2005, 02:46 PM
S&M
Metallica Kicks ass!Thats an instant classic.

I know Sebastian Bach would have loved it!

JoeChalupa
11-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I also enjoy Joshua Bell.

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/coverimages/SME_0101_SH_094832.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

MiNuS
11-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Manny,all this violin crap you gotta skip. Check out "The Pines of Rome" after a few beers and forget about all this Pink Floyd sh!t.

"Pines" rocks!

edit:
I also played in band and we played this piece in Corpus at some festival.
We had 11 all-staters.30 area-wide players and 8 in the All-symphony.
I played the Tuba and was third chair in Valley Highschool my freshman year.
Our first chair was first chair All-state,I was second chair in our band and our 3rd chair player made the all-state.I didn't practice for the competition over the XMAS break and my lips were out of it.
We had 15 tuba players in my freshman year.

I dropped out of band after my sophmore year and became a socialite,cut my hair,put some deoderant and got myself a girlfriend. Sure I was the guy that always started his sentences"Last year,in bandcamp....." :lol

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh, and isn't it amazing how much classical music we associate with Looney Tunes? :lol

MannyIsGod
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
:lol I'm going to check out most of what is in this thread.

I'm big on brass (I played baritone, trumpet and trombone in HS), strings (I'm a guitarist now), and percussion. I could probably live happily without woodwinds though.

Guru of Nothing
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Oldie But Goody (http://www.satirewire.com/features/clap.shtml)

THEY'VE GOT THE CLAP
Music Industry Salivates Fusion of Classical and Rap

NEW YORK (SatireWire.com) — It's impossible to pinpoint the birth date or true parents of most musical movements. Who, exactly, began rock 'n roll? What single moment in time gave us jazz?

But with the latest, and some say greatest, musical movement of them all, there is a date, a place, and an undisputed and unlikely pair of creators.

Late on Aug. 31, 2000, renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma finished a concert at Carnegie Hall, took a wrong turn down an alley, and bumped into Sean Combs, a.k.a. rap superstar Puff Daddy, who had just finished a concert of his own. Unaware of who Ma was, Combs noted Ma's cello case and decided to have some fun. "I told him, 'You know, gangsters use to carry their guns in a case like that. That's a big case, so you must be a big gansta,'" Combs recalled.

http://www.satirewire.com/images/clapalbumcover.gif

Ma nervously explained that he was a cellist, pulled out his instrument, and began to play. Combs still isn't sure what came over him, but he began to sing. Thus, Clap was born.

Half a year later, the improbable fusion of classical music and rap has swept aside pop divas to reign atop the charts. Clap dominates MTV. Clappers populate the newsstands. Even the Grammys, long considered less hip than other award shows, will have a Clap category this year.

Where rappers sang of an often violent street-life existence, and classical music's sophisticated instrumentalism appealed to the upper classes, Clappers sing about the street lives of 18th Century aristocrats to the accompaniment of piano, strings, woodwinds and brass. And always, as in Clapper Def Ludwig's single Baroque 2 Da Bone, there is that incessant clapping:

We eat a lotta cake, (clap)
Sometimes it gets old, (clap)
The servants fetch our robe de chambre,
So we don't get cold. (clap, clap ... clapclap)

"We don't just sing about ourselves anymore," said Queen Leitmotifah (formerly Queen Latifah), who recently released her first Clap album. "We have to read a lot of history, try to get into the heads of the masters, like Mozart, Tchaikovsky. Then we look at what life was like in, say, the palaces of St. Petersberg in 1743, and we tell it like it was."

To the record industry, Clap does more than combine two musical movements. It brings together two historically disparate economic groups—wealthy classical music aficionados and street-level rap fans — who have contrary, but appealing, buying habits. "Young music fans have less sense than money," explained Sony executive Max Schmeel, "and old, classical music lovers have more money than sense. This puts us in a very good position."

Schmeel estimates the annual Clap market at $40 billion, and judging by the rush to cross into Clap, that number may be revised upward. Already, Blow Da Chateau, the Clap single by Sonata by Nature, (formerly Naughty by Nature), sits atop the R & B, classical, and pop charts. Meanwhile, Ma and Combs last week signed a $100 million deal with Sony Music to produce two albums as Yo-Yo Ma Big Thang and Puff Daddy Dvorak. Combs already has a hit on his hands with the disc Aristobitch, a duet with noted cellist Kim Jong.

What makes Clap's future particularly bright is that it has transcended music and become a social force at the street level. Wealthy suburbanites who once sent their children to private schools are enrolling them in inner city schools, believing the atmosphere will widen their appreciation of Clap. Once-violent street gangs, meanwhile, have taken on the personae and lifestyle exhibited by Clap and its performers. According to the FBI, the infamous Crips have at least two cells that have renamed themselves the Clefs, and the Latin Kings will soon rename themselves The Libretto Kings. These changes are more than just skin deep.

Said 17-year-old Chicago resident Ralph "Bolero" Winston, a member of the Bach Boys gang: "We useta control everything west of Dearborn between 30th and 32nd, and life was fast, you know. But that's not the thing anymore. We want to control our tempo allegre. We seek out the pastorale, embrace divertissement. That's our refrain."

Ironically, Chicago law enforcement has a slightly different refrain: "The truth is, we have no friggin' idea what these kids are talking about nowadays," said Chicago Gang Task Force detective Lance Boylgrim. "We had the street language and street names down, but now all they talk about is andante and arpeggio and harmonic structure. I had a kid yesterday actually call me contrapuntal. To my face."

But Clap is forcing everybody to retool. Even classical artists who once regarded other forms of music as beneath them are rethinking. "I have never felt this strong about a music since I first heard the Verdi," said Luciano "Bad Luc" Pavarotti, who plans next year to rap tenor in the Metropolitan Opera's "Rigoghetto," the Clap version of Verdi's classic. "As some of my new friends are saying, 'I got da Clap, and I not goin' back."

Copyright © 2000, SatireWire

Mark in Austin
11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Manny - There is a three-disc soundtrack to Amadeus that is amazing. I often use it at work when I need to put on the headphones and focus. I'll also listen to it at night if I'm getting tired when driving. Probably my favorite right now.

If you like brass, the original soundtrack to Gladiator has some unbelieveably good stuff on it.

Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain is cool - you can find it on the Fantasia soundtrack, it's a version "compiled" by Rimsky-Korsakov from the different versions that Mussorgsky wrote over the course of his life. There are a ton of different versions (different music - not different performers) out there though.

Holst's The Planets - particularly Mars - is also good.

Some have already mentioed Aaron Copeland - I would add Appalachian Spring to the list. Some see copeland as being a "bridge" between classical composition, modern, and american folk music - I'm really in awe of what he was able to blend together without it sounding forced or contrived every time I listen to it.

One off the wall suggestion, even though it isn't classical:

Page and Plant's No Quarter album - fused the Zepplin songs with Moroccan-influenced compositions. I can listen to the CD over and over while I'm working or relaxing - it has come to be one of my favorites.

mavsfan1000
12-11-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm not really into classical music. It is ok once in awhile to listen to it but I would get bored with it. For relaxation Bob Marley is the best to listen to. :smokin
What a difference 6 years makes. I love Classical Music now. And Bach is my favorite composer. This is the collection I just bought. Wow is it a good deal. 23 Cd's of Bach's best works along with other great works of other composers (Vivaldi, Handel, and many others of the Baroque Era). http://www.amazon.com/Baroque-Masterpieces-Various-Box/dp/B001CBX2RO/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1323591656&sr=1-2

DMX7
12-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Good topic, Manny.

One of the more underrated composers of all-time, IMO, is Gustav Mahler. You might give a listen to some of his symphonies, which are complex and full of symbolism. It's mostly darker music, in the tradition of Beethoven's later symphonies, but it's brilliant work.

Gustav Mahler is a God. Symphony of a Thousand (i.e., No. 8) is epic.

leemajors
12-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I like Satie a lot.

PLFVGwGQcB0

baseline bum
12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
If you're into piano, Vladimir Horowitz is mind-blowing. His performances of Rachmaninoff 2 & 3 are legendary... this album has great renditions of the two:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uJQ5y49SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Horowitz-Rachmaninoff-Concerto-Vladimir-Pianist/dp/B000003ER1)

Here's an indication of Horowitz's skill
7XX538sybMU
Unfortunately, the album this is from (New Recordings of Chopin) isn't available on CD as far as I know, though it's not too hard to find on vinyl on ebay. I'm sure it is one of the greatest hits compilations, but I have no clue which.

Furtwangler has an incredible performance of Beethoven's 9th from 1951 (sound quality isn't perfect, being 60 years old).
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JqTHdjIbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphony-No-29-1951/dp/B0014Z3OH6)

Too bad he's a Nazi.... here's a video of him performing for Hitler's birthday (can even see Goebbels @ the 1:26 mark, lol)
8_Bd14eUhrU

My personal favorite version of the 9th is from 2006 by Bernard Haitink and the London Symphony Orchesta. The vocals in the fourth movement are my favorite I have ever heard.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PHBPC8KEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphony-No-9-Choral/dp/B000HDR7GA)

I love this performance of Dvorák's 9th; never heard a better one.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ATMQTV12L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Dvor%C3%A1k-Symphony-No-9-Antonin-Dvorak/dp/B0000025PH)

hater
12-12-2011, 11:36 AM
HbZvz0pXV48

Chachachango
12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I bought a classical album from amazon for two bucks and its still two bucks. Album is called "66 must-have sensual classics". Only bought it cause it was 2 bucks. Check out the cover.

cantthinkofanything
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I bought a classical album from amazon for two bucks and its still two bucks. Album is called "66 must-have sensual classics". Only bought it cause it was 2 bucks. Check out the cover.

I'm not searching for that. Provide a fucking link you lazy ass motherfucker.

cantthinkofanything
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
here. I did it after all you lazy fuck.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ukk3JXDxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

cantthinkofanything
12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
although you got a heck of a deal you cheap bastard.

Phenomanul
12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Over the past few years I've amassed a pretty extensive collection of classical music from Albéniz to Zimmerman (about 18,000 pieces)...

You know you have it bad when you seek out multiple versions of your favorite pieces and know the different Orchestras and the Conductors by name...

cantthinkofanything
12-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Over the past few years I've amassed a pretty extensive collection of classical music from Albéniz to Zimmerman (about 18,000 pieces)...

You know you have it bad when you seek out multiple versions of your favorite pieces and know the different Orchestras and the Conductors by name...

What did you think of 66 Sensual Classics?

Phenomanul
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
What did you think of 66 Sensual Classics?

Yeah I ran across that offer as well... I didn't buy the album as cheap as it was because I already owned every single one of the album's tracks (all except for one, which I purchased individually)...

Phenomanul
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
They included some of the following:

Bach
Beethoven
Brahms
Chopin
Debussy
Handel
Haydn
Liszt
Mendelssohn
Mozart
Scarlatti
Schubert
Schumann
Tchaikovsky
Vivaldi

Every composer on that list is a "Great"...

But I would probably add:

Isaac Albéniz
Vincenzo Bellini
Hector Berlioz
Georges Bizet
Anton Bruckner
Aaron Copland
Manuel de Falla
Antonin Dvořák
Sir Edward Elgar
George Enescu
Gabriel Fauré
César Franck
Charles Gounod
Alexander Glazunov
Edvard Grieg
Gustav Mahler
Niccolò Paganini
Sergei Prokofiev
Giacomo Puccini
Sergei Rachmaninov
Maurice Ravel
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Ottorino Respighi
Joaquín Rodrigo
Juventino Rosas
Gioachino Rossini
Camille Saint-Saëns
Dmitri Shostakovich
Jean Sibelius
Bedrich Smetana
Richard Strauss
Johann Strauss II.
Igor Stravinsky
Guiseppe Verdi
Richard Wagner

cantthinkofanything
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
What about Foster?

Phenomanul
12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
What about Foster?

Which one?

http://www.classicalarchives.com/composers/f.html

By the way, that's the website I use to download hard to find classical music...

cantthinkofanything
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Which one?

http://www.classicalarchives.com/composers/f.html

By the way, that's the website I use to download hard to find classical music...

you know...Stephen stinking Foster.

8Z7ATsISwrU

Phenomanul
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
you know...Stephen stinking Foster.

8Z7ATsISwrU

dooo dah! dooo dah!

Cant_Be_Faded
12-12-2011, 07:46 PM
roflroflrofl i knew when i saw this thread posted that phenohegam would be all up in here flaunting his credentials.

Phenomanul
12-12-2011, 11:44 PM
roflroflrofl i knew when i saw this thread posted that phenohegam would be all up in here flaunting his credentials.

Yeah.... Seeing how this thread was started back in 2005, I don't see how your argument has any merit whatsoever...

Why do you care if the compilation of classical music happens to be a hobby of mine...???

mavsfan1000
12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
klZYv-f9kCE