PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis City Council To Disband Police Department

Spurtacular
06-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Get in here and tell us how great this is, Chumpettes!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minneapolis-city-council-announces-intent-to-disband-police-department/ar-BB15amCL?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

ChumpDumper
06-07-2020, 08:02 PM
If they stop killing people for no reason it'll be an improvement.

GAustex
06-07-2020, 08:04 PM
People be calling for changing the fundamental nature of the country.
That will do it.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2020, 08:11 PM
Didn’t they try this in the late 80’s? Police Academy 4 Citizens on Patrol

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093756/mediaviewer/rm2593916672

FrostKing
06-07-2020, 08:16 PM
In for the Memes

koriwhat
06-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Welcome to sharia!

ElNono
06-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Hopefully they hired Black Panthers to police the streets, tbh

TXstbobcat
06-07-2020, 08:25 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3orifbhkCzV3mvfCXC/giphy.gif

Xevious
06-07-2020, 08:33 PM
"City Council members said they will invest in community-led safety initiatives instead of the police department."

wtf does that mean? Hopefully Minneapolis proves whatever system they try will work before other cities blindly follow.

Spurtacular
06-07-2020, 08:34 PM
If :cry

:lol

ElNono
06-07-2020, 08:35 PM
"City Council members said they will invest in community-led safety initiatives instead of the police department."

wtf does that mean? Hopefully Minneapolis proves whatever system they try will work before other cities blindly follow.

I don't know what it means, and frankly, I think they'll still have a PD. I wouldn't mind if there's reshuffling of PD personnel and they try a new crew, alongside much stricter training standards.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2020, 08:35 PM
:lolYou want them to keep killing people.

ChumpHumper
06-07-2020, 08:41 PM
If we just give the criminal a good talking to.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2020, 08:42 PM
derp

LaSíSí
06-07-2020, 08:42 PM
I don't know what it means, and frankly, I think they'll still have a PD. I wouldn't mind if there's reshuffling of PD personnel and they try a new crew, alongside much stricter training standards.

Agreed. No police will work if they police harder.

ElNono
06-07-2020, 08:54 PM
derp

DMC
06-07-2020, 09:13 PM
Training for the police department. They'll change their vehicle mission statements to something like "Community Service Patrol".

ElNono
06-07-2020, 09:17 PM
Training for the police department. They'll change their vehicle mission statements to something like "Community Service Patrol".

Whatever it takes. You want a professional force, not a guy that was flipping burgers at McDonalds a year ago.

KobesAchilles
06-07-2020, 09:31 PM
Whatever it takes. You want a professional force, not a guy that was flipping burgers at McDonalds a year ago.
Morherfuckers always get my order wrong. It’s no wonder why they can’t police

Nathan89
06-07-2020, 10:53 PM
https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1269819141395025921?s=20

:lmao

The police department can be restructured tbh. The police union can go. Dems are now noticing unions as terrible things. Perhaps they can help get rid of the teachers union as well. There are many things that can be improved as well as laws to relax to decrease the need for police. That being said I fully expect these guys to botch things if the above is any indication.

pgardn
06-07-2020, 11:05 PM
Bring all the protesters at the State Capitol in from Wisconsin.
Wait... they are the same people?
Ahh, just get the guys tugging on the fat Karen's, the guys unable to budge them due to the stunning inertia supplied by casseroles in the Midwest.
(Its like that fckn hotel all you can eat in Fargo)

ducks
06-07-2020, 11:10 PM
If they stop killing people for no reason it'll be an improvement.

Proof he was not running from cops

ducks
06-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey rejects city council's push to defund police, despite veto-proof majority

pgardn
06-07-2020, 11:19 PM
Proof he was not running from cops

Well if he was, they caught him.
And then one of them killed him.

If they had just fckn shot him in the back.
Dammit.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2020, 11:22 PM
Proof he was not running from copsOne cannot run away from the cops while four cops are kneeling on him.

Reck
06-07-2020, 11:25 PM
One cannot run away from the cops while four cops are kneeling on him.

Wasn’t he apprehended right in front of the store the clerk accused him of having fake money? Ducks is not very good at this.

ducks
06-08-2020, 12:38 AM
One cannot run away from the cops while four cops are kneeling on him.

Maybe he ran and got caught since he had the virus !

ducks
06-08-2020, 12:39 AM
Wasn’t he apprehended right in front of the store the clerk accused him of having fake money? Ducks is not very good at this.

Dude had the virus took drugs
Out of shape!

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 12:42 AM
Another cute social experiment

TSA
06-08-2020, 01:02 AM
Dude had the virus took drugs
Out of shape!

:lol

Blake
06-08-2020, 01:13 AM

Dmc doesn't discriminate when it comes to getting guns in the public's hands. Everyone should have one in case an Aubrey is out jogging in the neighborhood,!

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 01:20 AM
Dmc doesn't discriminate when it comes to getting guns in the public's hands. Everyone should have one in case an Aubrey is out jogging in the neighborhood,!

I know, right,!

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 01:33 AM
https://i.ibb.co/dgKZWKk/IMG-20200607-WA0020.jpg

Reck
06-08-2020, 01:46 AM
https://i.ibb.co/dgKZWKk/IMG-20200607-WA0020.jpg

An improvement from we’ll just kill you.

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 03:18 AM
https://i.ibb.co/ky6bQkH/IMG-20200608-WA0003.jpg

In 3 years they're gonna argue it is institutional racism how black neighborhoods don't have the same Police force as white ones.

Texas_Ranger
06-08-2020, 03:25 AM
Another cute social experiment

we all know in 2 months they will be bitching about bringing the cops back. fuck its good not to live in a retarded country like that.

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 04:08 AM
Interesting part is this is anti-Union. The model they are copying means privatized and even an increase in the number of Cops on the street

Liberals aren't thinking this thru :lol

ElNono
06-08-2020, 04:30 AM
https://i.ibb.co/ky6bQkH/IMG-20200608-WA0003.jpg

In 3 years they're gonna argue it is institutional racism how black neighborhoods don't have the same Police force as white ones.

Yeah, no. Just look at crime in the past 25 years. The drop is staggering. Has much more to do with technology that it has to do with anything else.

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 04:36 AM
Yeah, no. Just look at crime in the past 25 years. The drop is staggering. Has much more to do with technology that it has to do with anything else.
I agree. Am big fan of Forensic Files.

I'm surprised progressives want to privatize.

ElNono
06-08-2020, 04:40 AM
I agree. Am big fan of Forensic Files.

I'm surprised progressives want to privatize.

Don't worry, you'll be hating whatever progressives come up with in no time, regardless if it works or not.

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 04:49 AM
Don't worry, you'll be hating whatever progressives come up with in no time, regardless if it works or not.
I'm reading r/Minneapolis

Seeing what the locals think. They seem concerned with how vague the solution is presented. More of a "tear it down" and "we'll show em" than actually thought this through and found a superior option.

ElNono
06-08-2020, 05:00 AM
I'm reading r/Minneapolis

Seeing what the locals think. They seem concerned with how vague the solution is presented. More of a "tear it down" and "we'll show em" than actually thought this through and found a superior option.

I don't think anything concrete has been announced yet, that's why it's also puzzling why some of you are complaining about it.

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 05:08 AM
I don't think anything concrete has been announced yet, that's why it's also puzzling why some of you are complaining about it.
Because the anarchist got their wish

boutons_deux
06-08-2020, 05:34 AM

not puzzling, but expected

The ST racists/fascists don't want anybody even talking about limiting authoritarian, fascist, maiming, murderous, immune power of law enforcement

Thread
06-08-2020, 06:08 AM
not puzzling, but expected

The ST racists/fascists don't want anybody even talking about limiting authoritarian, fascist, maiming, murderous, immune power of law enforcement

I got nary problem with it up there. I couldn't get hurt down here, I'd be treat to see the aftermath from a couple thousand miles out.

Then when another Floyd makes another home invasion and points another gun at another Minnesotan woman's stomach have her call 911 and see what happens then.

tee, hee.

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 12:57 PM

So, if you want the citizenry to protect themselves, you must be really big on guns!!!

Reck
06-08-2020, 01:01 PM
So, if you want the citizenry to protect themselves, you must be really big on guns!!!

Defunding the police doesn't mean zero police. They will still be a part of the community. Just intergrated into it so they have a better understanding of whom they are policing instead of kneeling on people's necks and end up killing them.

ElNono
06-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Because the anarchist got their wish

What wish?

BSfromTX
06-08-2020, 01:07 PM

Seriously, you really think that?

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 01:10 PM
So, if you want the citizenry to protect themselves, you must be really big on guns!!!I don't think it should come down to having to shoot police because they are killing you for passing a bad twenty.

DMC
06-08-2020, 01:15 PM
I guess I can see the benefit of threat of defunding but there's no way in hell you can run without a Police Department. The extreme left is once again stepping all over their dicks. You get handed this shit on a silver platter and you fuck it up.

DMC
06-08-2020, 01:17 PM

No we'll confiscate guns but not the police because they don't exist - we will assign a group of people and call them the patrol and they will have power to do these types of things and we'll have people in places to issue them permission to do so and these people will have marked cars and uniforms.

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 01:27 PM
i dont think the whole "defund the police" thing means you have literally no law enforcement and just the wild west with the "community" protecting itself, but rather a reimagining of what the police should be responsible for.

police departments in big cities rightfully complain that they are being asked to solve too many of society's problems. in addition to blue collar crime, they are tasked with dealing with homeless situations, opioid crises, cyber crime, domestic disputes, mental health issues (LA County Jail is the largest mental health institution in the country). the idea is to slash funding but also responsibility, and re-allocating much of the funding towards social services meant to address those underlying issues, and more of an emphasis on community policing (ie people actually patrolling communities they are familiar with).

Camden NJ dismantled their entire police department in 2012 and rebuilt it from the ground up, with more emphasis on foot patrols, to great results.

Texas_Ranger
06-08-2020, 01:29 PM
looks like chicago already disbanded the police

Chicago just all last week:
Shot & Killed: 29
Shot & Wounded: 138
Total Shot: 167
Total Homicides: 32

Lets march and destroy for all of dem people!! #BLM!!!!

Spurminator
06-08-2020, 02:45 PM
i dont think the whole "defund the police" thing means you have literally no law enforcement and just the wild west with the "community" protecting itself, but rather a reimagining of what the police should be responsible for.

police departments in big cities rightfully complain that they are being asked to solve too many of society's problems. in addition to blue collar crime, they are tasked with dealing with homeless situations, opioid crises, cyber crime, domestic disputes, mental health issues (LA County Jail is the largest mental health institution in the country). the idea is to slash funding but also responsibility, and re-allocating much of the funding towards social services meant to address those underlying issues, and more of an emphasis on community policing (ie people actually patrolling communities they are familiar with).

Camden NJ dismantled their entire police department in 2012 and rebuilt it from the ground up, with more emphasis on foot patrols, to great results.

It's a huge branding problem. The Left tends to use slogans that are more provocative than what they actually mean and ask you to educate yourself before jumping to conclusions.

Meanwhile, the Right puts out stuff like Save Chick Fil-A and The Patriot Act. If they decided to defund public schools, they wouldn't call it "Defund Teachers," they'd call it the "Protect Our Children Act" and rightly assume that most people won't read up on the details.

Reck
06-08-2020, 02:57 PM
It's a huge branding problem. The Left tends to use slogans that are more provocative than what they actually mean and ask you to educate yourself before jumping to conclusions.

Meanwhile, the Right puts out stuff like Save Chick Fil-A and The Patriot Act. If they decided to defund public schools, they wouldn't call it "Defund Teachers," they'd call it the "Protect Our Children Act" and rightly assume that most people won't read up on the details.

They better get their messaging right. Defund and disband the police just sounds...awful.

People's first reaction will always be pushback when they hear that because they think it means zero police presence. Cant blame them for thinking that.

This could be what Trump needed to kickstart his racist base and get back those independents he's bleeding out.

koriwhat
06-08-2020, 03:02 PM
The islamic scumbag brotherfuckers are trying to take over as well as their white rich antifa commie counterparts.

FrostKing
06-08-2020, 03:07 PM

It is not about reading/not reading

Left likes catchy shock provoking slogans because the focus is youth/teenagers.

It is actually smart strategy in the Hashtag era

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 03:09 PM
They better get their messaging right. Defund and disband the police just sounds...awful.

People's first reaction will always be pushback when they hear that because they think it means zero police presence. Cant blame them for thinking that.

What are they supposed to think, tranny?

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 03:10 PM
I don't think it should come down to having to shoot police because they are killing you for passing a bad twenty.

Cool story, dump.

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Cool story, dump.Oh, you weren't serious about any of this. OK.

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Oh, you weren't serious about any of this. OK.

Are you super serious about this?

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 03:21 PM

or "no child left behind"

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Are you super serious about this?About police killing people. Yes. I am serious about that.

TSA
06-08-2020, 03:52 PM

Since when is being in the top 10 most dangerous cities a great result? They were #4 as recently as 2017.
By the way thanks for the link and info Reck.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 03:53 PM
About police killing people. Yes. I am serious about that.

But you don't even think it's super serious.

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Since when is being in the top 10 most dangerous cities a great result? They were #4 as recently as 2017.

As a former resident of MPLS, I can say there will be a lot of people in serious danger w/o the police.
Gonna be a lot of live leak videos coming out of there.

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 03:59 PM
But you don't even think it's super serious.Saying "super serious" isn't serious.

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 04:01 PM

there's been improvement since 2012

https://www.nj.com/resizer/z78HsMhmVYdwvxK9I2o1JgAqCzM=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width2048/img/camden_impact/photo/murder-numbers.jpg

https://www.nj.com/resizer/Akb2RbVw7g6NxZsbvBpo0q9zd1k=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width2048/img/camden_impact/photo/23990429-standard.jpg

https://www.nj.com/resizer/L-HlpVe9DYzJYKikOftXnp0bQPQ=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width2048/img/camden_impact/photo/violent-crime.jpg

https://www.nj.com/camden/2018/01/camdens_2017_murder_rate_was_the_lowest_in_decades .html

im not saying you have to be in favor of the policy, but i think people discussing it have something of an obligation to understand what "defund the police" actually means, even if the branding is horrible

TXstbobcat
06-08-2020, 04:03 PM
As a former resident of MPLS, I can say there will be a lot of people in serious danger w/o the police.
Gonna be a lot of live leak videos coming out of there.

I lived in Plymouth for several years over in the medicine lake area.

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Saying "super serious" isn't serious.

Nor is fallacious argumentation.

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 04:12 PM
I lived in Plymouth for several years over in the medicine lake area.

Yea, I lived in a town probably five to seven miles from there. Not sure if I went there or not, but I remember it.

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Nor is fallacious argumentation.What was fallacious about it?

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 04:16 PM
What was fallacious about it?

You know. Worse yet, it's your M.O.

TSA
06-08-2020, 04:17 PM
there's been improvement since 2012

https://www.nj.com/resizer/z78HsMhmVYdwvxK9I2o1JgAqCzM=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width2048/img/camden_impact/photo/murder-numbers.jpg

https://www.nj.com/resizer/Akb2RbVw7g6NxZsbvBpo0q9zd1k=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width2048/img/camden_impact/photo/23990429-standard.jpg

https://www.nj.com/resizer/L-HlpVe9DYzJYKikOftXnp0bQPQ=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width2048/img/camden_impact/photo/violent-crime.jpg

https://www.nj.com/camden/2018/01/camdens_2017_murder_rate_was_the_lowest_in_decades .html

im not saying you have to be in favor of the policy, but i think people discussing it have something of an obligation to understand what "defund the police" actually means, even if the branding is horrible What does this all add up to? That’s not yet clear. Assessing individual cities’ yearly crime statistics (or individual years’ city-level crimes) can be inherently misleading, says Inimai Chettiar, director of the Brennan Center for Justice’s Justice Program. “What’s been happening over [the last three years] have been short-term ups and downs,” she said. “So it’s still hard to tell whether there’s actually something going on or whether those are just blips.”

Ames Grawert, the Brennan Justice Center’s counsel, voices a similar concern. “It’s easy to extrapolate from a single year of data to a trend, but that’s not always true,” he said. “Cities big and small both experience normal fluctuations in crime rates over the years.”

That might be the case with Camden’s homicide drop, which, while encouraging, has hardly transformed the city’s overall numbers. “It’s progress, it’s not success,” Thomson said. “We still have extreme challenges that keep us up at night and spring us out of bed in the morning.”

Indeed, Camden’s violent crime rate in 2017 remained dire enough to place the city at number four on Neighborhood Scout’s annual list of America’s most dangerous cities. The number of nonfatal shooting hit incidents has dropped 45 percent since 2012—but is back up in 2017 from last year’s levels. Meanwhile, aggravated assaults with a firearm have gotten more frequent in the past three years.

The numbers themselves can be potentially misleading: Homicide rates, for example, aren’t necessarily a complete measure of urban violence. Just because fewer people are dying from gunshot wounds doesn’t mean fewer people are getting shot: It could also mean they’re getting better treatment, faster. One of Thomson’s Camden policies, nicknamed “Scoop and Go,” may be at work here, which mandates officers to personally drive victims to the hospital if ambulance wait times are too long. That saves lives, without really addressing the source of the violence itself. (Another possible factor: More victims are just getting to the hospital faster by calling an Uber.)

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/01/what-happened-to-crime-in-camden/549542/

How do you know what the Minneapolis City Council means by “defund the police” when they admitted they don’t even know what it means yet as they don’t have plan in place at this time.

FkLA
06-08-2020, 04:17 PM
It's hard to get behind or fully understand what this whole shit is about when you have videos like this going viral. The idiot makes it clear what defunding police means to her, and the crowd cheers.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1269460338329739264?s=19

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 04:18 PM
You know.derp folds

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 04:21 PM
What does this all add up to? That’s not yet clear. Assessing individual cities’ yearly crime statistics (or individual years’ city-level crimes) can be inherently misleading, says Inimai Chettiar, director of the Brennan Center for Justice’s Justice Program. “What’s been happening over [the last three years] have been short-term ups and downs,” she said. “So it’s still hard to tell whether there’s actually something going on or whether those are just blips.”

Ames Grawert, the Brennan Justice Center’s counsel, voices a similar concern. “It’s easy to extrapolate from a single year of data to a trend, but that’s not always true,” he said. “Cities big and small both experience normal fluctuations in crime rates over the years.”

That might be the case with Camden’s homicide drop, which, while encouraging, has hardly transformed the city’s overall numbers. “It’s progress, it’s not success,” Thomson said. “We still have extreme challenges that keep us up at night and spring us out of bed in the morning.”

Indeed, Camden’s violent crime rate in 2017 remained dire enough to place the city at number four on Neighborhood Scout’s annual list of America’s most dangerous cities. The number of nonfatal shooting hit incidents has dropped 45 percent since 2012—but is back up in 2017 from last year’s levels. Meanwhile, aggravated assaults with a firearm have gotten more frequent in the past three years.

The numbers themselves can be potentially misleading: Homicide rates, for example, aren’t necessarily a complete measure of urban violence. Just because fewer people are dying from gunshot wounds doesn’t mean fewer people are getting shot: It could also mean they’re getting better treatment, faster. One of Thomson’s Camden policies, nicknamed “Scoop and Go,” may be at work here, which mandates officers to personally drive victims to the hospital if ambulance wait times are too long. That saves lives, without really addressing the source of the violence itself. (Another possible factor: More victims are just getting to the hospital faster by calling an Uber.)

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/01/what-happened-to-crime-in-camden/549542/
and yet their violent crime rates have also been going down, not just homicide.

again, im not necessarily parading this around as the model that every police department in the country should follow. i'm just saying that "defund and dismantle the police" is what they did and it isn't a state of anarchy and chaos

How do you know what the Minneapolis City Council means by “defund the police” when they admitted they don’t even know what it means yet as they don’t have plan in place at this time.
i dont know what their exact measures are going to be. they aren't going to eliminate emergency response

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 04:22 PM
derp folds

cherp comforts himself

TSA
06-08-2020, 04:22 PM
It's hard to get behind or fully understand what this whole shit is about when you have videos like this going viral. The idiot makes it clear what defunding police means to her, and the crowd cheers.

i dont think the whole "defund the police" thing means you have literally no law enforcement and just the wild west with the "community" protecting itself, but rather a reimagining of what the police should be responsible for. :lol

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 04:24 PM

No social distancing. People gonna be dying by the dozens.

TheGreatYacht

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 04:24 PM
cherp comforts himselfderp comfort folds with buzzwords

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 04:26 PM
derp comfort folds with buzzwords

cherp keeps chirping. Par.

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 04:27 PM
i dont think the whole "defund the police" thing means you have literally no law enforcement and just the wild west with the "community" protecting itself, but rather a reimagining of what the police should be responsible for. :lol

Defunding and abolition probably mean something different from what you are thinking. For most proponents, “defunding the police” does not mean zeroing out budgets for public safety, and police abolition does not mean that police will disappear overnight — or perhaps ever. Defunding the police means shrinking the scope of police responsibilities and shifting (https://www.gq.com/story/deray-mckesson-interview-8-cant-wait) most of what government does to keep us safe to entities that are better equipped to meet that need (https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/06/03/457251670/how-much-do-we-need-the-police). It means investing more in mental-health care and housing, and expanding the use of community mediation (https://www.nafcm.org/) and violence interruption programs (https://cvg.org/).

Police abolition (http://cardozolawreview.com/are-police-obsolete-police-abolition/) means reducing, with the vision of eventually eliminating, our reliance on policing (https://bostonreview.net/law-justice/derecka-purnell-what-does-police-abolition-mean) to secure our public safety. It means recognizing that criminalizing addiction and poverty, making 10 million arrests (https://theintercept.com/2019/01/31/arrests-policing-vera-institute-of-justice/) per year and mass incarceration have not provided the public safety we want and never will. The “abolition” language is important because it reminds us that policing has been the primary vehicle for using violence to perpetuate the unjustified white control over the bodies and lives of black people that has been with us since slavery (https://books.google.com/books?id=_IKWDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=i+feel+like+a+runaway+slave+sometimes+thomas+ha rvey&source=bl&ots=jMOVX9AmRs&sig=ACfU3U10aVJqlywPaY-b34KewT-2mHuJQg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYpNXzoPDpAhWamXIEHcWcA7EQ6AEwAHoECAkQA Q#v=onepage&q=i%20feel%20like%20a%20runaway%20slave%20sometime s%20thomas%20harvey&f=false). That aspect of policing must be literally abolished.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/07/defund-police-heres-what-that-really-means/

TSA
06-08-2020, 04:36 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/07/defund-police-heres-what-that-really-means/

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1269460338329739264

Do you honestly think the thousands of protestors booing and shaming the mayor for saying he didn’t want to abolish the police are using these same definitions? :lol

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 04:37 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1269460338329739264

Do you honestly think the thousands of protestors booing and shaming the mayor for saying he didn’t want to abolish the police are using these same definitions? :lol
lady on the megaphone is riling them up to be fair, and if she literally wants no law enforcement presence then i disagree with her and dont believe that it is a mainstream opinion, even among the "defund the police" fringe

TSA
06-08-2020, 04:44 PM
lady on the megaphone is riling them up to be fair, and if she literally wants no law enforcement presence then i disagree with her and dont believe that it is a mainstream opinion, even among the "defund the police" fringe

Your definition of “defund the police” does not seem to be in line with those in Minneapolis who want to defund the police. Posting definitions from WaPo isn’t changing what they actually want.

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 04:45 PM

That is the fringe. And to a man/woman they're pretty much all booing and taunting American Trudeau.

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Your definition of “defund the police” does not seem to be in line with those in Minneapolis who want to defund the police. Posting definitions from WaPo isn’t changing what they actually want.
how about with what decision makers in minneapolis have said...

Concrete details about how to do the work of dismantling MPD were less defined, although council member Philippe Cunningham said the upcoming budget is a great place to start.
"We're not going to tomorrow all the sudden have nobody for you to call for help. There will be thoughtful and intentional work that's done, research engagement, learning that happens in a transition that will happen over time," Cunningham said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneapolis-city-council-announces-intent-disband-police/

they've basically just passed a resolution, haven't actually put onto paper what they are envisioning... which they should be working to do asap to quell people's concerns that 911 will be met with a dial tone

GAustex
06-08-2020, 04:56 PM
They ate their young

TSA
06-08-2020, 05:05 PM
how about with what decision makers in minneapolis have said...

they've basically just passed a resolution, haven't actually put onto paper what they are envisioning... which they should be working to do asap to quell people's concerns that 911 will be met with a dial tone

Your copy/paste button must have malfunctioned.

“We're not going to tomorrow all the sudden have nobody for you to call for help. There will be thoughtful and intentional work that's done, research engagement, learning that happens in a transition that will happen over time," Cunningham said.

Many people have asked, in this visionary future with no police, "Who do you call when there's no 911?" One of the speakers on Sunday said it would be family and neighbors.“ :rollin

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 05:10 PM

“We're not going to tomorrow all the sudden have nobody for you to call for help. There will be thoughtful and intentional work that's done, research engagement, learning that happens in a transition that will happen over time," Cunningham said.

Many people have asked, in this visionary future with no police, "Who do you call when there's no 911?" One of the speakers on Sunday said it would be family and neighbors.“ :rollin
no malfunction, i provided the link for that purpose.

i dont know who that one speaker was, if they were from the council, or what. like i said, i'm with you that i would disagree with "zero law enforcement presence" or no emergency response. i just dont see much reason to believe that this is the mainstream position of the "defund the police" groups based on everything i'm reading and hearing.

camden disbanded their police department. they still have a law enforcement presence and 911 emergency response

TSA
06-08-2020, 05:13 PM

i dont know who that one speaker was, if they were from the council, or what. like i said, i'm with you that i would disagree with "zero law enforcement presence" or no emergency response. i just dont see much reason to believe that this is the mainstream position of the "defund the police" groups based on everything i'm reading and hearing.

camden disbanded their police department. they still have a law enforcement presence and 911 emergency response

I don’t think Minneapolis holds the mainstream position of defund the police.

TSA
06-08-2020, 05:15 PM

Camden actually added more police officers than it had before it disbanded.

spurraider21
06-08-2020, 05:20 PM
Camden actually added more police officers than it had before it disbanded.
yep more patrol with a much heavier emphasis on community policing (non-crisis interaction), people who got to know the neighborhood etc, not just a goon squad that is dispatched to an area where they dont know any of they people they are interacting with. they also have a much heavier emphasis on de-escalation, revamped use of force policies, etc

TheGreatYacht
06-08-2020, 07:13 PM
No social distancing. People gonna be dying by the dozens.

TheGreatYacht

If they not gonna social distance they need to take off their masks. Idiots.

Maybe they leave their masks on to protect their identity rather than trying to protect themselves from the virus. But most of them are leftists. I doubt they woke enough to know any better.

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 07:16 PM

Many people have asked, in this visionary future with no police, "Who do you call when there's no 911?" One of the speakers on Sunday said it would be family and neighbors.“ :rollinWhich speaker was that?

The mayor?

City council?

ChumpDumper
06-08-2020, 07:17 PM
I don’t think Minneapolis holds the mainstream position of defund the police.I think your confirmation bias guides your mouse and cursor.

Spurtacular
06-08-2020, 07:19 PM
You guys had to settle for Republican Obama.

Chinook
06-08-2020, 09:18 PM
Yeah, there's a difference between disbanding and defunding. Disbanding pretty much means firing everyone and rehiring folks fresh. That could help combat the effects of an entrenched culture of violence, which honestly the Minneapolis PD seems to have. Defunding is basically reducing the number of police officers and replacing them with specialists who are actually trained to handle the non-violent elements of police work. If someone is robbing a bank, the police would still be called. But if a homeless guy is wandering around disrupting others, a social worker would go instead. This decreases the number of situations where the authority can introduce a gun into the conflict and makes it easier to train police officers by narrowing their expected duties. Even in a world without any concern over racism of overmilitarization of police, you'd still have an issue with cops who are asked to handle too many different situations. It's a waste of money.

It's crazy that the idea of defunding it controversial, though I guess they could pick a better name. It's a win-win-win for everyone except shitty cops who wouldn't get a job in the smaller pools and who refuse to retrain.

vy65
06-08-2020, 09:20 PM
I’m all for ending sovereign immunity

ElNono
06-08-2020, 09:34 PM

Well now, we want to complain about anarchists here, not solutions that worked... keep up, plz

ElNono
06-08-2020, 09:34 PM

ding

ElNono
06-08-2020, 09:36 PM

this should answer your question.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/camden/sections/law-and-justice/articles/camden-sees-crime-drop-over-past-decade

ElNono
06-08-2020, 09:37 PM

That's certainly the point I was making. Not sure why anybody is panicking yet.

Will Hunting
06-08-2020, 09:40 PM

Coondace Nelson must be so proud when her desciples post shit like this.

rmt
06-09-2020, 09:57 AM
this should answer your question.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/camden/sections/law-and-justice/articles/camden-sees-crime-drop-over-past-decade

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread - just this last page. Am I missing something? This article mentions an increase in officers (and I assume the corresponding funding) - not "defunding" Or do politically correct terms like "community engagement/policing", "creating dialogue" make the increased number of officers more palatable?

“As far as the change that has taken place, the number one difference is resources,” Camden County Police Chief Joe Wysocki told TAPinto Camden. “Cops count and police matter, so by almost doubling the amount of officers on the street that has given us a much larger footprint to focus on community engagement and creating a dialogue with residents that has been missing for decades in the city.”

elbamba1
06-09-2020, 10:41 AM
I have not been to the protests and have been unable to figure out specifics to what reforms are being requested. Here is a list of reforms I would support 100%

1. Body cams for police be mandatory.
2. Any discharge of a firearm requires immediate department internal review.
3. Any civilian killed/injured by police requires the officer(s) stand before a board of elected civilians for an administrative proceeding, which can be appealed to a district court.
4. Mandatory mental heath screening monthly for police officers.
5. Monthly requirements for continuing education.

I would like to hear some other thoughts on realistic reforms.

Spurminator
06-09-2020, 10:51 AM
I have not been to the protests and have been unable to figure out specifics to what reforms are being requested. Here is a list of reforms I would support 100%

3. Any civilian killed/injured by police requires the officer(s) stand before a board of elected civilians for an administrative proceeding, which can be appealed to a district court.

Immunity for recording police incidents.

I would also like to see protections put in place for people who intervene to prevent cops from using brutal force. It's not enough just to require fellow cops to do it.

And a big one... We need to reinvent how we enforce minor traffic violations. If we can send a citation by mail to someone based on a camera catching them running a red light, there's no reason a cop should have to physically pull someone over for a broken tail light or expired registration, for example. Scan their plates and mail them a warning or ticket.

boutons_deux
06-09-2020, 10:52 AM

body cams get turned off when they know they are going to "crime", and if left on, videos are not available to public

All penalties paid by PD come out of the PD pension fund

Any officer who has x citizen complaints for abuse to be fired "for cause"

Any moving violation or DUI while off duty is a one month unpaid suspension.

Drug testing every month by an external lab

Fitness test, including max BMI or better overweight detection, time to run one mile, etc

All the above goes for Sheriff depts, too

I don't have any idea how to stop the collusion between prosecutors, county/city lawyers and cops

Rape kits must be processed within one week of collection.

no-knock invasions forbidden

SWAT raids only after a judge approves.

SWAT raids on wrong residences are automatic $5M penalty paid by PD pension fund

elbamba1
06-09-2020, 10:55 AM

I would also like to see protections put in place for people who intervene to prevent cops from using brutal force. It's not enough just to require fellow cops to do it.

And a big one... We need to reinvent how we enforce minor traffic violations. If we can send a citation by mail to someone based on a camera catching them running a red light, there's no reason a cop should have to physically pull someone over for a broken tail light or expired registration, for example. Scan their plates and mail them a warning or ticket.

I like this. At a minimum, perhaps a police officer should not be allowed to be armed for a traffic/street stop. Their weapon must stay in the vehicle.

Spurminator
06-09-2020, 11:01 AM
I like this. At a minimum, perhaps a police officer should not be allowed to be armed for a traffic/street stop. Their weapon must stay in the vehicle.

I think the argument will be you have to allow them to defend against the possibility of violence against them. As long as we have relaxed laws against people carrying guns in their car, I don't think you can prevent police from an even fight. The ideal is they don't have to get out of their car (or even stop) in the first place.

boutons_deux
06-09-2020, 11:03 AM
‘I can’t breathe’:

New video evidence shows

cops killing two other Black men as they begged for life

KVUE-TV has been seeking records and evidence (https://www.kvue.com/article/news/investigations/defenders/javier-ambler-death-investigation-williamson-county-sheriffs-live-pd/269-9065fe1e-bb16-439f-a008-fa74f741d5b4) in the March 28, 2019, killing of 40-year-old Javier Ambler in Williamson County, where a sheriff’s deputy tried to stop him for failing to dim the headlights of his SUV to oncoming traffic.

Records show that deputies used Tasers on Ambler at least three times as the father of two told them he had a heart condition and could not breathe,

but Williamson County Sheriff’s Office has tried to block information from release since reporters first asked in February.

KTUL-TV reports (https://ktul.com/news/local/i-cant-breathe-okcpd-release-video-of-mans-arrest-death-a-year-later) on another new video evidence from another police killing, in May 2019 in Oklahoma City, which Black Lives Matter had demanded as part of its ongoing protests of Floyd’s killing.

The video shows Derrick Scott take off running from officers trying to arrest him, but they catch up and tackle the Black man.

Scott tells officers he had been smoking PCP and was experiencing medical distress, but police remain on top of him — even after he tells them he cannot breathe.

An ambulance arrives and takes him to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/i-cant-breathe-new-video-evidence-shows-cops-killing-two-other-black-men-as-they-begged-for-life/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4737 (https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/i-cant-breathe-new-video-evidence-shows-cops-killing-two-other-black-men-as-they-begged-for-life/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4737)

RandomGuy
06-09-2020, 12:26 PM
I’m all for ending sovereign immunity

sovereign or qualified? (not sure if there is a specific difference, out of my expertise)

spurraider21
06-09-2020, 12:39 PM
I think the argument will be you have to allow them to defend against the possibility of violence against them. As long as we have relaxed laws against people carrying guns in their car, I don't think you can prevent police from an even fight. The ideal is they don't have to get out of their car (or even stop) in the first place.
i know that LAPD cadets in the academy are all shown quite a bit of footage of officers who were killed during traffic stops as a lesson for them to always be alert

TSA
06-09-2020, 12:46 PM

Agreed on all except protections for people who intervene to prevent cops from using brutal force. That's opening up a can of worms and would probably get more citizens killed or beaten.

spurraider21
06-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Agreed on all except protections for people who intervene to prevent cops from using brutal force. That's opening up a can of worms and would probably get more citizens killed or beaten.
i agree with this tbh. and people could hear noise, walk into a situation where the police is tackling a guy, and they have no context to what happened, believe that excessive force is being applied, and then tackle the cop. you'd also be giving the green light for cops to be mobbed if the mob perceives the force as excessive. i dont think you can have that but perhaps if its clearly deadly force? i dont know. but the spectators watching floyd get killed probably felt like a pack of antelope watching a pack of lions kill another antelope

in addition to immunity for recording police, any officer who stops a recording from taking place (we've seen many instances where cops swipe away at peoples phones, for example) should be automatically disciplined in some manner

BSfromTX
06-09-2020, 12:53 PM
All penalties paid by PD come out of the PD pension fund

Any officer who has x citizen complaints for abuse to be fired "for cause"

Any moving violation or DUI while off duty is a one month unpaid suspension.

Drug testing every month by an external lab

Fitness test, including max BMI or better overweight detection, time to run one mile, etc

All the above goes for Sheriff depts, too

I don't have any idea how to stop the collusion between prosecutors, county/city lawyers and cops

Rape kits must be processed within one week of collection.

no-knock invasions forbidden

SWAT raids only after a judge approves.

SWAT raids on wrong residences are automatic $5M penalty paid by PD pension fund

I would maybe say proven and justified complaints. Good list overall but DUI should be punished a bit more IMO

spurraider21
06-09-2020, 12:53 PM
an issue with traffic citations is if somebody is running a red light, speeding, or otherwise driving in a dangerous way, its not good policy to let that person keep doing what they're doing only to be mailed a ticket. you have to stop them for safety of others. i know when i've been pulled over for speeding i tend to drive very safely for at least some period of time following that :lol

SnakeBoy
06-09-2020, 01:03 PM
We need to reinvent how we enforce minor traffic violations. If we can send a citation by mail to someone based on a camera catching them running a red light, there's no reason a cop should have to physically pull someone over for a broken tail light or expired registration, for example. Scan their plates and mail them a warning or ticket.

It's like your almost to the point of wanting to stop using the police as a means of generating revenue. Not quite there but on the path.

spurraider21
06-09-2020, 01:12 PM
It's like your almost to the point of wanting to stop using the police as a means of generating revenue. Not quite there but on the path.
dont see how that's the takeaway. he's didnt suggest citations needed to be scaled back, but rather they should just be mailed instead of pulling people over to hand it to them.

the other reason for pulling over is to get a signature confirming that you've received the ticket... but then again i dont have a clue about whether or not mailed tickets get ignored at a particular rate compared to tickets signed for

Spurminator
06-09-2020, 01:14 PM
an issue with traffic citations is if somebody is running a red light, speeding, or otherwise driving in a dangerous way, its not good policy to let that person keep doing what they're doing only to be mailed a ticket. you have to stop them for safety of others. i know when i've been pulled over for speeding i tend to drive very safely for at least some period of time following that :lol

Yeah I think extreme speeding or dangerous driving would have to be an exception. We still have to have a real time solution for drunk drivers. But 10 miles over speed limit? Mail a warning or citation.

Spurminator
06-09-2020, 01:18 PM

dont see how that's the takeaway. he's didnt suggest citations needed to be scaled back, but rather they should just be mailed instead of pulling people over to hand it to them.

the other reason for pulling over is to get a signature confirming that you've received the ticket... but then again i dont have a clue about whether or not mailed tickets get ignored at a particular rate compared to tickets signed for

I probably would scale back citations, tbh. I could see a system where your plate is entered and you receive a notice giving you 30 days to fix the issue and submit proof. If you fail to do so, you get a citation.

But the real point is to reduce dangerous interactions, profiling, unwarranted searches and all of the other things that go along with it.

Spurminator
06-09-2020, 01:22 PM
i agree with this tbh. and people could hear noise, walk into a situation where the police is tackling a guy, and they have no context to what happened, believe that excessive force is being applied, and then tackle the cop. you'd also be giving the green light for cops to be mobbed if the mob perceives the force as excessive. i dont think you can have that but perhaps if its clearly deadly force? i dont know. but the spectators watching floyd get killed probably felt like a pack of antelope watching a pack of lions kill another antelope

in addition to immunity for recording police, any officer who stops a recording from taking place (we've seen many instances where cops swipe away at peoples phones, for example) should be automatically disciplined in some manner

Yeah I don't know a perfect solution for this, it would always have to be argued after the fact and it's probably hard to prove excessive force was being used. It would just be nice to have that additional layer of caution hopefully giving officers something else to consider before they put a choke hold on a suspect.

vy65
06-09-2020, 03:05 PM
sovereign or qualified? (not sure if there is a specific difference, out of my expertise)

I think qualified immunity is a specific form of sovereign immunity. I'm all for eliminating all forms of governmental immunity, but particularly with respect to the police. I was happy to see that as a part of the Dem's package.

ElNono
06-09-2020, 03:19 PM
Sorry, didn't read the whole thread - just this last page.

then you need to read more

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Unhinged NYPD Union Boss Angrily Defends Cops

https://youtu.be/2H6rmRsqVKk

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2020, 01:15 PM
Why Are Conservative "Liberty Lovers" Backing Authoritarian Cops?

https://youtu.be/cXKVrXiczy8

Spurtacular I can't believe I missed this one

spurraider21
06-11-2020, 02:54 PM

slick'81
06-11-2020, 03:00 PM
DTw

disband the world

Spurtacular
06-11-2020, 03:16 PM
Why Are Conservative "Liberty Lovers" Backing Authoritarian Cops?

https://youtu.be/cXKVrXiczy8

Spurtacular (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49615) I can't believe I missed this one

:lol Yea, that cop is a twat.
:lol Pleasant policing.

Spurtacular
06-11-2020, 03:20 PM
TheGreatYacht

Protecting "the most vulnerable in our society".
I'm sorry but he's referring to the criminals in large part.
Try being white and walking through some of these hoods.
Your odds of getting jacked are high.
There isn't a white neighborhood blacks can't walk through (not counting the gated ones).

Spurtacular
06-11-2020, 03:22 PM
TheGreatYacht

I agree with JD that cops have a bully outlook (in all too many cases).

Winehole23
09-29-2020, 12:21 AM
‘I can’t breathe’:

New video evidence shows

cops killing two other Black men as they begged for life

KVUE-TV has been seeking records and evidence (https://www.kvue.com/article/news/investigations/defenders/javier-ambler-death-investigation-williamson-county-sheriffs-live-pd/269-9065fe1e-bb16-439f-a008-fa74f741d5b4) in the March 28, 2019, killing of 40-year-old Javier Ambler in Williamson County, where a sheriff’s deputy tried to stop him for failing to dim the headlights of his SUV to oncoming traffic.

Records show that deputies used Tasers on Ambler at least three times as the father of two told them he had a heart condition and could not breathe,

but Williamson County Sheriff’s Office has tried to block information from release since reporters first asked in February.

KTUL-TV reports (https://ktul.com/news/local/i-cant-breathe-okcpd-release-video-of-mans-arrest-death-a-year-later) on another new video evidence from another police killing, in May 2019 in Oklahoma City, which Black Lives Matter had demanded as part of its ongoing protests of Floyd’s killing.

The video shows Derrick Scott take off running from officers trying to arrest him, but they catch up and tackle the Black man.

Scott tells officers he had been smoking PCP and was experiencing medical distress, but police remain on top of him — even after he tells them he cannot breathe.

An ambulance arrives and takes him to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/i-cant-breathe-new-video-evidence-shows-cops-killing-two-other-black-men-as-they-begged-for-life/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4737 (https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/i-cant-breathe-new-video-evidence-shows-cops-killing-two-other-black-men-as-they-begged-for-life/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4737)

This update is lightly off topic, this thread has the only reference to Javier Ambler I could find.

WillCo Sherriff Robert Chody and County Attorney Jason Nassour just got rapped for felony evidence tampering "stemming from" the destruction of the video of Javier Ambler's fatal encounter with WCSDs, as filmed contemporaneously by LIVE PD and (presumably) WCSDs.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/06/10/live-pd-destroyed-video-police-killing-javier-ambler-ii-2019/5332903002/

Winehole23
04-05-2021, 12:11 PM
This update is lightly off topic, this thread has the only reference to Javier Ambler I could find.

WillCo Sherriff Robert Chody and County Attorney Jason Nassour just got rapped for felony evidence tampering "stemming from" the destruction of the video of Javier Ambler's fatal encounter with WCSDs, as filmed contemporaneously by LIVE PD and (presumably) WCSDs.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/06/10/live-pd-destroyed-video-police-killing-javier-ambler-ii-2019/5332903002/

Chody surrenders on a new evidence tampering charge in the killing of Javier Ambler.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas/javier-ambler-williamson-county-robert-chody-indicted-live-pd/269-9b1fcd89-39aa-4737-81f4-e868f3040e33

Former WilCo general counsel Jason Nassour is indicted in Travis Co, also on felony evidence tampering charges:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/javier-ambler-sheriff-robert-chody-jason-nassour-indicted-travis-county/269-410f3f00-c575-4d36-a780-ae5f98e66dc9

Winehole23
04-05-2021, 12:13 PM
two ex -deputies face manslaughter charges

A wrongful death lawsuit filed by Ambler’s family (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-sues-texas-county-wrongful-death-black-man-during-live-n1244813) last year alleged that sheriff’s deputies engaged in a reckless chase of Ambler to make entertaining television for “Live PD.”

Former Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody is accused of destroying or concealing audio and video footage (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/texas-sheriff-charged-evidence-tampering-black-man-s-death-n1241266) that showed his deputies pursuing and using force on Ambler, according to an indictment against him from September. Chody and former Williamson County general counsel Jason Nassour were indicted on a felony evidence tampering charge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2-ex-deputies-indicted-manslaughter-charge-death-javier-ambler-n1262513